PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Cade Smith, KC Hunt, and Landon Gartman starting....

HoopsDawg
02-15-2023, 01:55 PM
opening weekend though I haven't seen anything official. This makes sense. KC returned to school after getting drafted in the 12th round so he deserves a shot. He has good stuff. All 3 of these guys have been consistent starters in the scrimmages. Not sure if it stays this way, but hopefully we can get 15 innings out of these 3 guys. I like Gartman on Sundays.

StarkVegasSteve
02-15-2023, 02:22 PM
I think we see Stinnett and one of the freshman(Cjintje or Loftin) in the midweek and with a couple of good starts either of those guys could factor into the weekend rotation for us once SEC play starts.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-15-2023, 02:26 PM
Weather will be cold, especially on Friday. I want to see these guys get warm/loose, pitch well, but not overdo it. It's a long season.

KOdawg1
02-15-2023, 03:07 PM
Need them to give us 5 innings and we'll be alright.

SaintDawg
02-15-2023, 03:10 PM
Weather will be cold, especially on Friday. I want to see these guys get warm/loose, pitch well, but not overdo it. It's a long season.

I’m glad the game is at 3 on Friday and not the usual 6-630 slot. Low in the 20s Friday night. VMI is a good 1st series.

Commercecomet24
02-15-2023, 03:28 PM
Dont be surprised if Gartman has a very good season. He's underrated.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-15-2023, 03:32 PM
Need them to give us 5 innings and we'll be alright.

First weekend, cold weather, I would be happy with 4 solid innings from Cade on Friday.

Activated Alpha
02-15-2023, 04:58 PM
Is this weekend going to be televised or do I need to get another subscription to Flosports like the past two seasons...

somebodyshotmypaw
02-15-2023, 05:09 PM

We need him. Cade Smith, KC Hunt, and Gartman have to perform well and give us a volume of solid innings for the season. They will all be starters, or key pitchers out of the bullpen. They are older, have experience, and we need them to produce.

confucius say
02-15-2023, 06:04 PM

His numbers were comparable to Skenes numbers last year and LG faced much tougher competition.

Gartman had a Better whip (under 1.0 👀), strikeouts the same, innings the same, era .77 higher, but Gartman faced much better competition.

Skenes didn't pitch against a team all regular season that made the ncaa tourney. Not one. He only pitched against one power 5 team all regular season and was shelled, didn't make it through the 4th inning, and had a era of 11.
Then in the ncaa tourney he was shelled again, didn't make it past the 4th, and era was 9.00.
He didn't pitch against anybody else any good this year. Below are all his appearances.

Iowa - shelled
Navy - 19-26 record
Nevada twice - 29-26 record
Unlv three times - 36-22 record
New Mexico twice - 21-33 record
Fresno state twice - 27-28 record
Cal Baptist - 36-20 record
San Diego State - 18-38 record
San Jose State - 30-29 record

NCAA tourney
Texas - shelled.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-15-2023, 07:18 PM
His numbers were comparable to Skenes numbers last year and LG faced much tougher competition.

Gartman had a Better whip (under 1.0 ��), strikeouts the same, innings the same, era .77 higher, but Gartman faced much better competition.

Skenes didn't pitch against a team all regular season that made the ncaa tourney. Not one. He only pitched against one power 5 team all regular season and was shelled, didn't make it through the 4th inning, and had a era of 11.
Then in the ncaa tourney he was shelled again, didn't make it past the 4th, and era was 9.00.
He didn't pitch against anybody else any good this year. Below are all his appearances.

Iowa - shelled
Navy - 19-26 record
Nevada twice - 29-26 record
Unlv three times - 36-22 record
New Mexico twice - 21-33 record
Fresno state twice - 27-28 record
Cal Baptist - 36-20 record
San Diego State - 18-38 record
San Jose State - 30-29 record

NCAA tourney
Texas - shelled.

Very good info. Skenes is very talented. But certainly weekend SEC ball is an animal. There is no other conference with the top-to-bottom talent. He’s going to be challenged for sure. The worst baseball team in the SEC West can light you up.

CaptainObvious
02-15-2023, 08:15 PM
Very good info. Skenes is very talented. But certainly weekend SEC ball is an animal. There is no other conference with the top-to-bottom talent. He’s going to be challenged for sure.

<The worst baseball team in the SEC West can light you up. >

I hope you are right because we know who the coaches think is the worst team in the West.

Homedawg
02-15-2023, 09:44 PM
>

I hope you are right because we know who the coaches think is the worst team in the West.

And the two teams they thought were 6th and 7th last year ended up in Omaha. So there's that. And the team that was first finished last.

Commercecomet24
02-15-2023, 10:11 PM
And the two teams they thought were 6th and 7th last year ended up in Omaha. So there's that. And the team that was first finished last.

Of all the sports whose preseason polls are meaningless baseball has to be the most meaningless

State82
02-15-2023, 10:13 PM
Of all the sports whose preseason polls are meaningless baseball has to be the most meaningless

By far. Not even close.

Todd4State
02-16-2023, 03:07 AM
I'm expecting Nate Dohm to be in the weekend rotation by the end of the season and Hunt in the bullpen.

Todd4State
02-16-2023, 03:08 AM
I think we see Stinnett and one of the freshman(Cjintje or Loftin) in the midweek and with a couple of good starts either of those guys could factor into the weekend rotation for us once SEC play starts.

I have a feeling that Stinnett isn't going to pitch much this year. Sure, he'll get an opportunity but I believe the leash is going to be very short.

SpaceBully
02-16-2023, 05:54 AM
Cade Smith...........Friday
Landon Gartman....Saturday
KC Hunt................Sunday

So, sounds like we have the starting rotation pretty well confirmed. Wish one of those was a lefty. Maybe Loftin will make a push for one of the starters in case someone under performs. We need at least one dominant lefty.

Leeshouldveflanked
02-16-2023, 08:07 AM
Cade Smith...........Friday
Landon Gartman....Saturday
KC Hunt................Sunday

So, sounds like we have the starting rotation pretty well confirmed. Wish one of those was a lefty. Maybe Loftin will make a push for one of the starters in case someone under performs. We need at least one dominant lefty.
Very underwhelming starting rotation compared to the rest of the SEC but all 3 could give us a lot of innings over the course of a season.

basedog
02-16-2023, 09:16 AM
Very underwhelming starting rotation compared to the rest of the SEC but all 3 could give us a lot of innings over the course of a season.

If Kc stays healthy I think the starters will be ok overall. I'm not sure if all three will be starters by the end of season. Lord knows I pray we stay healthy this season, last year was a fluke!
I do think our squad is pretty solid, young guys need to step up for sure to give us some depth both in pitching and everyday players.

StarkVegasSteve
02-16-2023, 11:04 AM
Officially official:

Fri-Cade
Sat-KC
Sun-Gartman

I do not expect any of the 3 to go longer than 5 innings. We will get to see a lot of our bullpen this weekend. Be interesting to see how we use Nixon, Dohm, Davis, and Stinnett

PMDawg
02-16-2023, 01:04 PM
I think our bullpen is going to carry us this year. We've got a lot of options and a lot of talent, just some of them don't have the experience yet and others haven't put it all together. I think we are going to have a good season, and our pitching staff (especially the bullpen) will get better and better as the season progresses. Our weekend rotation doesn't blow you away when you read the names, but I don't think they will hurt us too much either. I can't see KC being there by mid-season, but if he is I think that means he's been better than expected. Eat up around 5 innings, don't give up more than four (ish) runs, and we should be fine. This is me being a sunshine pumper. It's a rare sight. Screenshot it.

StarkVegasSteve
02-16-2023, 01:32 PM
I think our bullpen is going to carry us this year. We've got a lot of options and a lot of talent, just some of them don't have the experience yet and others haven't put it all together. I think we are going to have a good season, and our pitching staff (especially the bullpen) will get better and better as the season progresses. Our weekend rotation doesn't blow you away when you read the names, but I don't think they will hurt us too much either. I can't see KC being there by mid-season, but if he is I think that means he's been better than expected. Eat up around 5 innings, don't give up more than four (ish) runs, and we should be fine. This is me being a sunshine pumper. It's a rare sight. Screenshot it.

KC has more potential than anyone on the roster on the pitching side. He has first round stuff if he can stay healthy. He has not been 100% for more than a month or two since he stepped on campus

HoopsDawg
02-16-2023, 01:49 PM
KC has more potential than anyone on the roster on the pitching side. He has first round stuff if he can stay healthy. He has not been 100% for more than a month or two since he stepped on campus

seems like he was up into the 95-98 range last fall. He's been in the 91-92 range in the scrimmages. I wonder if he is pacing himself a little this year. I wouldn't be suprised to see him 93-94 on Saturday.

StarkVegasSteve
02-16-2023, 01:52 PM
seems like he was up into the 95-98 range last fall. He's been in the 91-92 range in the scrimmages. I wonder if he is pacing himself a little this year. I wouldn't be suprised to see him 93-94 on Saturday.

You get him out in front of 8-10K on Saturday and he will ramp it up to around 94-96. He probably will sit somewhere near 92-94 as the season goes on. He has good stuff where he does not just have to blow it by you to get you out. That is where his game has come along the most.

sandjunky
02-16-2023, 03:46 PM
You get him out in front of 8-10K on Saturday and he will ramp it up to around 94-96. He probably will sit somewhere near 92-94 as the season goes on. He has good stuff where he does not just have to blow it by you to get you out. That is where his game has come along the most.

Adrenaline is hell of a drug

I didn?t think it would provide much of a velo bump (I didn?t pitch) until I started tracking velo in bullpens for my boys - I?ve seen everywhere from +3 to +7 on the mound with sustained for multiple innings about +3-4