PDA

View Full Version : Severe Weather - Round 2

starkvegasdawg
02-10-2023, 05:49 AM
Updated graphics.
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/partners/outlooks/state/images/MS_swody1.png?1676440267

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/partners/outlooks/state/images/MS_swody1_TORN.png?1676440359

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/partners/outlooks/state/images/MS_swody2.png?1676444163

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/partners/outlooks/state/images/MS_swody2_TORN.png?1676444174

SaintDawg
02-10-2023, 07:21 AM
Saw on the national news this week that we’ve had around triple the reported tornadoes that we normally would up to this point in the year. Normal was 40-60 and this year its been around 120-130. I think thats what the graphic showed. I wonder if that’s indicative of what’s to come in April when the season really ramps up?

TheLostDawg
02-10-2023, 07:26 AM
Thanks

ArrowDawg
02-10-2023, 11:08 AM
Saw on the national news this week that we’ve had around triple the reported tornadoes that we normally would up to this point in the year. Normal was 40-60 and this year its been around 120-130. I think thats what the graphic showed. I wonder if that’s indicative of what’s to come in April when the season really ramps up?

All I know is that the deep south, usually with Mississippi right in the middle, has become Mother Nature's playground in recent years. It feels like we can't get any real break from severe weather and tornadoes. As crazy as winter has been, it makes me think we all should be building underground shelters for the spring.

yjnkdawg
02-10-2023, 02:08 PM
Thanks SVD.......................Have we just completely bypassed Winter and gone straight into spring severe weather season in early February? :rolleyes:

yjnkdawg
02-10-2023, 02:11 PM
All I know is that the deep south, usually with Mississippi right in the middle, has become Mother Nature's playground in recent years. It feels like we can't get any real break from severe weather and tornadoes. As crazy as winter has been, it makes me think we all should be building underground shelters for the spring.

Change spring to February may be more accurate.

starkvegasdawg
02-10-2023, 03:05 PM
Thanks SVD.......................Have we just completely bypassed Winter and gone straight into spring severe weather season in early February? :rolleyes:

Winter looks to be on its last legs. I'm sure we'll have a couple more cold snaps, but I'm not expecting a whole lot.

RocketDawg
02-10-2023, 06:08 PM

Unless things change over the next month + it'll have to be the mildest winter ever for average temperature, the 2 or 3 days in December notwithstanding, at least in my area.

civildawg
02-11-2023, 07:36 PM
Someone explain to me when I looked at the weather forecast this morning it said 40% chance of rain with on and off showers and it?s done nothing but pour down rain all day?

RocketDawg
02-11-2023, 07:41 PM
Someone explain to me when I looked at the weather forecast this morning it said 40% chance of rain with on and off showers and it?s done nothing but pour down rain all day?

Don't know where you are, but on radar the low pressure appears to be right over Jackson, perhaps has moved a little to the southwest now.

starkvegasdawg
02-11-2023, 07:46 PM

If you're anywhere in north or central MS the person that made that forecast was on crack.

DownwardDawg
02-14-2023, 11:05 AM
Bump for updates.
On the selfish side of things, I leave Nashville headed to NOLA this evening. More worried about the family in Gallatin (NE of Nashville) and the family on 84 in Covington county. What say you weather dawgs????

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2023, 02:56 PM
Bump for updates.
On the selfish side of things, I leave Nashville headed to NOLA this evening. More worried about the family in Gallatin (NE of Nashville) and the family on 84 in Covington county. What say you weather dawgs????

Not much has changed. Still a slight risk for Wednesday and Thursday. Looks like the worst will be Wednesday night in the NW delta. I'm not overly sold on Thursday but we will see.

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2023, 08:05 PM
Sorry haven't posted in a while, but been a little busy last few days culminating in my son losing situational awareness at baseball practice and taking a bat to the side of the head this morning. Fortunately, just a mild concussion.

Anyway, severe weather still looking likely starting off tomorrow night in the northwest delta and over into AR. Models have been tending up in intensity so wouldn't be surprised if we see an upgrade to an enhanced risk. Thursday the threat shifts to the rest of the state during the morning hours pushing out of the state around noon. There is a possibility Thursday is the worst of the event...especially over eastern MS and western AL as it coincides with peak daytime heating.

DownwardDawg
02-14-2023, 11:01 PM
Sorry haven't posted in a while, but been a little busy last few days culminating in my son losing situational awareness at baseball practice and taking a bat to the side of the head this morning. Fortunately, just a mild concussion.

Anyway, severe weather still looking likely starting off tomorrow night in the northwest delta and over into AR. Models have been tending up in intensity so wouldn't be surprised if we see an upgrade to an enhanced risk. Thursday the threat shifts to the rest of the state during the morning hours pushing out of the state around noon. There is a possibility Thursday is the worst of the event...especially over eastern MS and western AL as it coincides with peak daytime heating.

Thanks man. Hope and pray your son is ok!!

starkvegasdawg
02-14-2023, 11:03 PM
Thanks man. Hope and pray your son is ok!!

Thanks. He appears to be fine. We had a nice talk about the words situational awareness in the ER lobby.

Commercecomet24
02-14-2023, 11:11 PM

Appreciate the update! Hope your sons ok!

DownwardDawg
02-15-2023, 12:06 AM
Thanks. He appears to be fine. We had a nice talk about the words situational awareness in the ER lobby.

Good! Situational awareness is something I talk about often. I give talks at work about it to my team. But I really discuss it at home with my family.

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2023, 03:16 AM
Updated graphics to show an upgrade today and tomorrow to an enhanced risk. Tornado threat has been upgraded to a 10% hatched indicating the chance of strong to violent tornadoes (EF2+).

parabrave
02-15-2023, 08:01 AM

I got an tiny indent in my forehead that taught me about SA the same way. When I woke up the team dad told me to go home and put ice on mt forehead. My dad told me to watch out next time. Of course this was 1967.

3dawgnight15
02-15-2023, 09:56 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread but in little league, I was in the dugout putting my shin guards on (played catcher). On of my teammates decided he needed one more practice swing and squared up the back of my head. Played the next inning and vomited on home plate.

Dawg_Lover
02-15-2023, 02:21 PM
All children and grandchildren, from a young age, need to be taught skills, for navigating this world smarter and safer. Being a voracious reader, just thought I would reference the following, as I chose the first two for my children to utilize with their children. The last was a recent discovery, and the next one I will read.

Good three (3) book series, written by Gary Dean Quesenberry. Tools for educating yourself and your family regarding situational awareness.

(1) Spotting Danger Before It Spots Your TEENS: Teaching Situational Awareness To Keep Teenagers Safe
* For ages 13 - 19

(2) Spotting Danger Before It Spots Your KIDS: Teaching Situational Awareness To Keep Children Safe
* For ages 5 - 12

(3) Spotting Danger Before It Spots You: Build Situational Awareness To Stay Safe

Another excellent book:
The Gift of Fear, by Gavin de Becker

Dawg_Lover
02-15-2023, 02:29 PM
SVD, I am in the NW corner of MS. In your opinion, do you think the worst will develop after passing over my area? And, since do not remember, do you chase at night?
Thanks in advance.

Fader21
02-15-2023, 03:30 PM
Just a question, for those in the know. What does the area look like for Jackson at 8 AM. I am leaving on a plane at that time and a few different website are everywhere.

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2023, 06:40 PM
SVD, I am in the NW corner of MS. In your opinion, do you think the worst will develop after passing over my area? And, since do not remember, do you chase at night?
Thanks in advance.

Northwest MS will be very much in the crosshairs tonight. I would stay weather aware tonight.

I do chase at night but I'm not tonight. I do plan to be out tomorrow, though. One of our other chasers is out tonight and will be in NW MS and he is quite good, too. I haven't heard him say if he's live streaming on our patreon page or not. I plan to be live streaming tomorrow while I'm out if I can be somewhere with enough cell service.

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2023, 07:03 PM
60% chance of a tornado watch being issued for a large section of the state. Area being considered goes from Natchez to Meridian, to Starkville to Memphis. Isolated supercells are possible and any that form carry a tornado risk.

Dawg_Lover
02-15-2023, 10:40 PM
60% chance of a tornado watch being issued for a large section of the state. Area being considered goes from Natchez to Meridian, to Starkville to Memphis. Isolated supercells are possible and any that form carry a tornado risk.

Thanks SVD. They have issued a tornado watch for Desoto county til 5am. Storm activity started before 9pm.
A tornado warning & currently a bad hook echo cell moving through Marshall county, near Holly Springs right now.

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2023, 10:54 PM
Thanks SVD. They have issued a tornado watch for Desoto county til 5am. Storm activity started before 9pm.
A tornado warning & currently a bad hook echo cell moving through Marshall county, near Holly Springs right now.

That other chaser was on that storm and doesn't think it was close to producing a tornado. Said wind was very calm at the ground so all the circulation was up in the body of the storm.

RocketDawg
02-15-2023, 10:55 PM
Just had an early loud thunderstorm with another one coming. Wasn't supposed to start for a few more hours. I think there may have been some hail bouncing off the windows.

starkvegasdawg
02-15-2023, 10:59 PM
Just had an early loud thunderstorm with another one coming. Wasn't supposed to start for a few more hours. I think there may have been some hail bouncing off the windows.

If you can find any to get a size and location let me know.

Dawg_Lover
02-15-2023, 11:48 PM
That other chaser was on that storm and doesn't think it was close to producing a tornado. Said wind was very calm at the ground so all the circulation was up in the body of the storm.

Good to know. Between the recent ice storm, plus being hit once or twice by tornadoes in the last 10 to 15 years, they have had enough for a while.

starkvegasdawg
02-16-2023, 09:37 AM
Significant severe weather still looking likely. SPC is considering a tornado driven upgrade to a moderate risk.

TUSK
02-16-2023, 11:46 AM
I am IN!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/02/22/2a/02222adeaedc858d64faa409ad03fe4f--vintage-trailers-mobile-homes.jpg

Commercecomet24
02-16-2023, 11:49 AM
I am IN!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/02/22/2a/02222adeaedc858d64faa409ad03fe4f--vintage-trailers-mobile-homes.jpg

Now that's a nice crib, lol! Stay safe, buddy!

Dawg_Lover
02-16-2023, 12:43 PM
☝️ Sweet Home Alabama Deer Stand 🦌

WinningIsRelentless
02-16-2023, 12:51 PM
The sync trying to come out in Jackson can?t be good

starkvegasdawg
02-16-2023, 01:07 PM
Things are about to kick off. I just got in my truck and chase mode is activated. Going to be somewhere around Highway 45 between Macon and Aberdeen. Once things get closer I will be live streaming just in case any of you are supporters of our team patreon site. If not, you can always sign up at patreon.com/nmscas. Cough cough shameless plug cough cough.

shoeless joe
02-16-2023, 01:13 PM
What are the odds these storms to the south choke off anything developing up around the golden triangle area? We had school canceled but I’m hopeful this ends up being a dud.

shoeless joe
02-16-2023, 01:14 PM
Things are about to kick off. I just got in my truck and chase mode is activated. Going to be somewhere around Highway 45 between Macon and Aberdeen. Once things get closer I will be live streaming just in case any of you are supporters of our team patreon site. If not, you can always sign up at patreon.com/nmscas. Cough cough shameless plug cough cough.

Well that doesn’t sound good for our area

TUSK
02-16-2023, 01:41 PM

Stop by and have a drink! I'm in the Columbus Area (Prairie)...

parabrave
02-16-2023, 03:08 PM
Hey CC one headed toward your area.

Commercecomet24
02-16-2023, 03:25 PM
Hey CC one headed toward your area.

Yeah I'm watching that one. Looks like its gonna go west of me(hopefully).