PDA

View Full Version : SEC Released Its Preseason Baseball Predictions & All-Conference Teams Today

Goldendawg
02-09-2023, 04:48 PM
As voted by Coaches - we are last and not even close. Luke Hancock and Colten Ledbetter named 2nd team All-SEC. We have a lot to prove. Free article on genespage. Should play with a real chip on our shoulders. Hail State!

TNDawg35
02-09-2023, 05:03 PM
We have the line up to win… do we have the pitching… Lemonis needs some big arms to come in from the portal/high school in the future like he did the Loftin and lo… Just keep stock piling talent…

StarkVegasSteve
02-09-2023, 05:33 PM
All comes down to pitching. And more specifically bullpen.

If our bullpen is even competent with the offensive talent we have we should be a tournament team. If Nixon and Dohm can be shutdown at the backend then we have a chance to host.

EdwardDrayton
02-09-2023, 05:36 PM
We have the line up to win… do we have the pitching… Lemonis needs some big arms to come in from the portal/high school in the future like he did the Loftin and lo… Just keep stock piling talent…

If we have all this talent, why are they picking us last in the West and next to last in the conference. There is a BIG disconnect here somewhere. And we better not finish last again. Just sayin'.

magrooder
02-09-2023, 05:42 PM
I will be more surprised if we finish last than if we finish first. I base that on absolutely nothing at all.

The Federalist Engineer
02-09-2023, 07:21 PM
Last year, MSU was a consensus top 10 nationally ranked team, some thought top-5 and some thought #1.

Finished dead last.

So, what outsiders typically go with is "who is returning that was awesome?" Nobody really. "Who did they get that we know is awesome at the SEC level?" Nobody really. Also, outsiders don't factor Freshmen to be game changers. Very few freshmen, even marquee freshmen play like Mangum in 2016. Even Arkansas' blue chip Peyton Stovall only hit 295 last season and was about 250 in the conference.

This said, last is probably wrong. MSU's worst players from last year's team are almost entirely gone. Should not have a bullpen of 10.00 ERA players for conference games again.

CaptainObvious
02-09-2023, 09:59 PM
Finish last in back to back years following a NC and that would prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Lemonis won in 2021 with someone else?s players and can?t recruit for crap. There would need to be a new dude sitting on the ball bucket in 2024 if that happens. Absolutely NO excuse for Mississippi State baseball to ever finish last with the commitment the school has made to baseball.

StarkVegasSteve
02-09-2023, 10:39 PM
Finish last in back to back years following a NC and that would prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Lemonis won in 2021 with someone else?s players and can?t recruit for crap. There would need to be a new dude sitting on the ball bucket in 2024 if that happens. Absolutely NO excuse for Mississippi State baseball to ever finish last with the commitment the school has made to baseball.

If we finish last again, which I don't think we will btw, then Zac Selmon will be making a hire in June.

Ari Gold
02-10-2023, 11:18 AM
if the coaches themselves actually filled out this list and prediction that’s a huge concern IMO
Saying that , the fact Hunter Hines didn’t make the list is absurd

These are all Lemoins kids (except Hancock) .. he was suppose to be this top notch recruiter and talent evaluator. It’s not like he took over a program that was struggling . He was handed the keys to a very well oiled machine that did produce a Natty.
But that Natty even tho just 2 years ago seems a lot longer than that
If we do finish last or near the bottom Zac will have some decisions to make this summer.

The national championship Honeymoon is long gone.. it’s time to get back to work
Absolutely zero reason ( NIL or no NIL ) with the fan support and backing the baseball program gets here back to back bad years is inexcusable

StarkVegasSteve
02-10-2023, 11:40 AM
if the coaches themselves actually filled out this list and prediction that’s a huge concern IMO

These are all Lemoins kids (except Hancock) .. he was suppose to be this top notch recruiter and talent evaluator. It’s not like he took over a program that was struggling . He was handed the keys to a very well oiled machine that did produce a Natty.
If we do finish last or near the bottom Zac will have some decisions to make this summer.

The national championship Honeymoon is long gone.. it’s time to get back to work
Absolutely zero reason ( NIL or no NIL ) with the fan support and backing the baseball program gets here back to back bad years is inexcusable

Last year the coaches picked A&M and Auburn to finish 6th and 7th respectively and they were both in Omaha. So their opinion really does not matter too much. I imagine it is SIDs that are voting anyways.

They are voting us last because our pitching is still the question mark and it will be until we prove otherwise.

R2Dawg
02-10-2023, 12:39 PM

That would be correct. Hey we went to a college world series with an interim coach too.

I really don't expect Lemo to fail like that but we must make post season this year as the floor.

R2Dawg
02-10-2023, 12:41 PM
Last year the coaches picked A&M and Auburn to finish 6th and 7th respectively and they were both in Omaha. So their opinion really does not matter too much. I imagine it is SIDs that are voting anyways.

They are voting us last because our pitching is still the question mark and it will be until we prove otherwise.

True on pitching. Everyone knows going big in SEC and NCAA baseball is about pitching. That killed our season last year too.

StarkVegasSteve
02-10-2023, 01:13 PM
True on pitching. Everyone knows going big in SEC and NCAA baseball is about pitching. That killed our season last year too.

Pitching has carried us to Omaha our last two trips. Ethan was such a shutdown ace in 19 that we always knew we would be in the drivers seat of any regional or super with a fresh bullpen. And then Johnson, Harding, Bednar, and Sims carried us to the national championship in 21.

The Federalist Engineer
02-10-2023, 01:14 PM
2024 Look ahead

SEC Staff: Cijntje (SO), Loftin (SO), and Pico (JR)

This is an Omaha level staff 1-2-3 punch, in terms of pedigree and talent.

1b- Hines (JR)
2b- Larry (SR) / Cupp (FR)
SS- Houck (FR) / Forsythe (SR)
3b- Alford (JR)
OF- Downs (JR)
OF- Johnson (SO)
OF- Hujsak (SR)
C- Highfill (SO)
DH - Nolan Stevens (FR)

This group will feature some true maulers and experience.

So, Lemonis will survive 2023 year ok. Team will fight to 17 SEC wins, play in a Super Regional and fight for life. In 2024, they will win +20 games and be in Omaha to win #2.

If you disagree with me, then you are a Rebel Mole.

StarkVegasSteve
02-10-2023, 01:17 PM
2024 Look ahead

1b- Hines (JR)
3b- Alford (JR)
OF- Downs (JR)
OF- Johnson (SO)
OF- Hujsak (SR)
C- Highfill (SO)
DH - Nolan Stevens (FR)

So, Lemonis will survive 2023 year ok. Team will fight to 17 SEC wins, play in a Super Regional and fight for life. In 2024, they will win +20 games and be in Omaha to win #2.

Dakota needs one of the OF spots and Mershon will be the SS. Everything else is correct though. I honestly wish that's the lineup we would roll with this year.

R2Dawg
02-10-2023, 01:47 PM
Pitching has carried us to Omaha our last two trips. Ethan was such a shutdown ace in 19 that we always knew we would be in the drivers seat of any regional or super with a fresh bullpen. And then Johnson, Harding, Bednar, and Sims carried us to the national championship in 21.

Same for any CWS winner and even attender. Got to have the pitching.

Homedawg
02-10-2023, 02:04 PM

While I agree last season won't cut it, but we still have several Can commits. Not an excuse just pointing it out.

Tripp McNeely
02-10-2023, 02:05 PM
2024 Look ahead

1b- Hines (JR)
3b- Alford (JR)
OF- Downs (JR)
OF- Johnson (SO)
OF- Hujsak (SR)
C- Highfill (SO)
DH - Nolan Stevens (FR)

Dakota needs one of the OF spots and Mershon will be the SS. Everything else is correct though. I honestly wish that's the lineup we would roll with this year.

I'm assuming "Johnson" = "Jordan"?

State82
02-10-2023, 02:28 PM
Aaron Fitt with D1 Baseball said in an interview that he likes the roster and that we improved more that any team in the country during the off season other than LSU with incoming recruits, juco and the portal.

The Federalist Engineer
02-10-2023, 10:41 PM
I'm assuming "Johnson" = "Jordan"?

Yeah, my error. Dakota Jordan

CaptainObvious
02-11-2023, 12:22 AM
2024 Look ahead

1b- Hines (JR)
3b- Alford (JR)
OF- Downs (JR)
OF- Johnson (SO)
OF- Hujsak (SR)
C- Highfill (SO)
DH - Nolan Stevens (FR)

What if we disagree with you and we end up correct? Does that make us Quaca- Mole?

What an absolute stupid take by you based totally on speculation that this group of 14 returnees and 28 newcomers can automatically be Super Regional quality. Damn. I am pretty damn sure I have a 1 in 600 million chance of winning the lottery. But I ain?t going out and pre-ordering 10 Maseratis and an 40 million dollar home built on a 30 million dollar island off the cost of Belize.

Todd4State
02-11-2023, 03:36 AM
The coaches probably asked who our new pitching coach was and then when they found out we kept Foxhall they made their picks accordingly.

Todd4State
02-11-2023, 03:39 AM
If we finish last again, which I don't think we will btw, then Zac Selmon will be making a hire in June.

Zac Selmon isn't going to pick our new pitching coach.**

Lemonis will be safe this year- but another bad year and he will be on the hot seat.

Foxhall will be fired though....maybe Gautreau if we MState it up even though he shouldn't be fired. "Offense wasn't good enough to score 9 runs to make up for the pitching giving up 8."

Todd4State
02-11-2023, 03:40 AM

You HAVE TO have pitching to win in baseball.

Todd4State
02-11-2023, 03:50 AM
2024 Look ahead

1b- Hines (JR)
3b- Alford (JR)
OF- Downs (JR)
OF- Johnson (SO)
OF- Hujsak (SR)
C- Highfill (SO)
DH - Nolan Stevens (FR)

I wouldn't be surprised if Dohm is our Friday night guy in 2024. Colby Holcombe might be in the rotation then too. Need to see how they develop. Loo and Loftin very likely could be. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Gartman or Cade Smith come back although it is their money year. Pico will be in the rotation competition too but we'll see how it shakes out. Nolan Stevens may be our closer of the future.

C- Highfill
1B- Hines
2B- Mershon or Forsythe- I think Larry goes pro after this year.
3B- Alford
SS- Cupp or Forsythe or Mershon
LF- Downs
CF- Jordan
RF- Stevens
DH- Cupp or Chance

StarkVegasSteve
02-11-2023, 11:40 AM
Zac Selmon isn't going to pick our new pitching coach.**

Lemonis will be safe this year- but another bad year and he will be on the hot seat.

Foxhall will be fired though....maybe Gautreau if we MState it up even though he shouldn't be fired. "Offense wasn't good enough to score 9 runs to make up for the pitching giving up 8."

If we finish DEAD F'N LAST AGAIN then Lemonis is done. He has no good will left. He used it up last year. It's tournament or we're making tough decisions in May. Now if we barely miss out on the tournament then Lemonis is probably safe but will have to fire the staff. But again, DEAD LAST, he's done.

basedog
02-11-2023, 11:52 AM
I think we are in better shape going into this season with our pitching staff. Of course, they have to stay healthy and gain confidence as the season moves alone.

I also think some of you guys aren't as smart as what you post about certain players and even coaches. Results matter no doubt, and someone has to be accountable. But I can tell you guys when someone is hurt this staff doesn't pull a "Berkman or Bianco decision".

My prediction and it's what I think, we want finish last, and we aren't that far away from having a good season. Last year was a fluke, it happens every once in a while.

I'm hearing different things than a few of you guys.

Commercecomet24
02-11-2023, 11:54 AM
I think we are in better shape going into this season with our pitching staff. Of course, they have to stay healthy and gain confidence as the season moves alone.

I also think some of you guys aren't as smart as what you post about certain players and even coaches. Results matter no doubt, and someone has to be accountable. But I can tell you guys when someone is hurt this staff doesn't pull a "Berkman or Bianco decision".

My prediction and it's what I think, we want finish last, and we aren't that far away from having a good season. Last year was a fluke, it happens every once in a while.

Great post and spot on!

The Federalist Engineer
02-11-2023, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Dohm is our Friday night guy in 2024. Colby Holcombe might be in the rotation then too. Need to see how they develop. Loo and Loftin very likely could be. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Gartman or Cade Smith come back although it is their money year. Pico will be in the rotation competition too but we'll see how it shakes out. Nolan Stevens may be our closer of the future.

C- Highfill
1B- Hines
3B- Alford
LF- Downs
CF- Jordan
RF- Stevens
DH- Cupp or Chance

Yeah, Cupp-Houck-Stevens feel like they could be like Piatt-Freeman-Lee-Hauswald if they all play together in Starkville

Pico according to a dude similar to Shotgun-Dog in my personal life is a marquee talent should he develop his lower-half strength like Ethan Small did.

Ultimately, Holcombe, Dohm, And Pico have attributes that could be very special for MSU.

smootness
02-11-2023, 12:13 PM
These predictions are all almost entirely just based on what happened last year. There's no actual analysis happening here. It doesn't matter.

archdog
02-11-2023, 02:09 PM

You think the pitching staff and coaches could take this personally, we will see if they do/can.

Mjoelner34
02-11-2023, 02:25 PM
The coaches probably asked who our new pitching coach was and then when they found out we kept Foxhall they made their picks accordingly.

+1

Cowbell
02-11-2023, 02:32 PM

Always appreciate your take man. Some of these guys aren't hearing anything - they are just guessing.

And both our main assistants will take HC jobs before they would ever be fired from here.

basedog
02-11-2023, 04:15 PM
Always appreciate your take man. Some of these guys aren't hearing anything - they are just guessing.

And both our main assistants will take HC jobs before they would ever be fired from here.

Some of the young unknown pitchers have to step up, they have talent. Like any young pitcher, throw strikes and stay under control. It’s a big jump for young pitchers. I do think we have 2 good starters. We shall see what other starters step up. I know one who is very motivated and driven. We shall see, LOl.
Enough from me.

Goldendawg
02-11-2023, 04:59 PM

C- Highfill
1B- Hines
3B- Alford
LF- Downs
CF- Jordan
RF- Stevens
DH- Cupp or Chance

You don't see Hancock making the lineup or a difference his 10th* year?**