PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Derek Carr is headed to the Saints.....

99jc
02-08-2023, 07:16 AM
if so good move by the Saints!

Dawgface
02-08-2023, 07:23 AM
That's great news.

msstate7
02-08-2023, 08:08 AM
I like the idea, but I wanna see compensation and how they rework contract before I get too happy about it.

EdwardDrayton
02-08-2023, 09:11 AM
smh when Derek Carr is a step up

msstate7
02-08-2023, 09:24 AM

I think most would agree dak is a good qb. If you take an avg of dak and Carr's passer ratings the last 5 years, here's what you get...

Dak 98.3
Carr 95.3

Carr is a solid qb

RockyDog
02-08-2023, 09:40 AM

As far as the Aints are concerned, DAVID Carr would be a step up.

StarkVegasSteve
02-08-2023, 10:22 AM
Now the real question will be do we have to trade for him or not. His contract becomes fully guaranteed next Tuesday and the Raiders are not going to keep him on the books for next year. Could we afford to wait and just sign him to a reworked deal or do we strike now knowing that we can get him for a discount because the Raiders will want something over nothing. The benefit to waiting is you give up nothing, but teams like the Jets or the Bucs could muddy the waters a bit.

parabrave
02-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Concerning Dak, Jerrah hires Brian Shottenheimer with MCarthy calling the plays. I think we be not any better next year/

MoreCowbell
02-08-2023, 12:05 PM
I think most would agree dak is a good qb. If you take an avg of dak and Carr's passer ratings the last 5 years, here's what you get...

Dak 98.3
Carr 95.3

Carr is a solid qb

Carr is a huge step up from Dalton and Winston for sure and brings some leadership. I think he will do a lot better in a new environment and in a dome

Goldendawg
02-08-2023, 01:01 PM

Raiders fan since a boy in the early 60's. Carr never led Raiders to success and had a losing record in his time there. Losses will continue with the Saints.

StarkVegasSteve
02-08-2023, 01:43 PM
Concerning Dak, Jerrah hires Brian Shottenheimer with MCarthy calling the plays. I think we be not any better next year/

Dak will probably be the next high profile guy to request a trade. He needs a reset and the Cowboys do too. They had their window from 2016-2021. It's almost why I wish the Saints would commit to a rebuild as well if the Derek Carr thing doesn't come to fruition. Every NFL team, even the best, need to reset every 7-10 years unless you have a Brady or Manning type player at the QB position

SteelCurtain74
02-08-2023, 02:49 PM
Not a Saints fan, but if Carr is going to New Orleans, then they are favorites going into next season for that division. The other three teams have questions at QB, although I heard a rumor Atlanta may try and trade for Lamar.

Carr would be a top 5 QB in the NFC.

CaptainObvious
02-08-2023, 03:54 PM
Not a Saints fan, but if Carr is going to New Orleans, then they are favorites going into next season for that division. The other three teams have questions at QB, although I heard a rumor Atlanta may try and trade for Lamar.

Carr would be a top 5 QB in the NFC.

Hmmm. Who will he be throwing it to?

msstate7
02-08-2023, 04:17 PM
Hmmm. Who will he be throwing it to?

Olave, shaheed, johnson, and kamara.

Olave and shaheed were outstanding rookie WRs

viverlibre
02-08-2023, 04:57 PM
Dak will probably be the next high profile guy to request a trade. He needs a reset and the Cowboys do too. They had their window from 2016-2021. It's almost why I wish the Saints would commit to a rebuild as well if the Derek Carr thing doesn't come to fruition. Every NFL team, even the best, need to reset every 7-10 years unless you have a Brady or Manning type player at the QB position

I doubt he will request a trade, as being QB1 in Dallas is as big as it gets in sports (look how many former Cowboys are in the booth), but Dallas may move on from him.

RockyDog
02-08-2023, 05:19 PM
I doubt he will request a trade, as being QB1 in Dallas is as big as it gets in sports (look how many former Cowboys are in the booth), but Dallas may move on from him.

Dallas is to Dak as MSU is to the posters on here. It's his childhood team and dream program. No way he would request to leave on his own.

Offshore Dawg
02-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Raiders fan since a boy in the early 60's. Carr never led Raiders to success and had a losing record in his time there. Losses will continue with the Saints.

So, what else is new

StarkVegasSteve
02-08-2023, 06:36 PM

Being the QB for the Cowboys WAS a big deal, like 30 years ago. With social media and being able to watch every game, if you're a good QB the endorsements will come. Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow are proving that. I don't think anyone thought 15 years ago that QBs in KC, Buffalo, and Cincinnati would be more marketable than QBs in NY,Dallas, or LA but every one of them is doing just fine where they are. They aren't missing out on any endorsements or notoriety from playing in those places.

Pancho
02-08-2023, 07:13 PM
maybe the saints get rid of the crab leg stealing rapist who put jumbo on the map

civildawg
02-08-2023, 07:35 PM
Carr needed a change of scenery. He?s a dang good qb that had awful defenses in his tenure. He also had so many different OC?s coaching him because of the raiders dysfunction. He sucked this past year but Josh McDaniels is a terrible HC so I don?t know who to blame that on. Him and Dak are basically the same QB

viverlibre
02-08-2023, 08:01 PM
Being the QB for the Cowboys WAS a big deal, like 30 years ago. With social media and being able to watch every game, if you're a good QB the endorsements will come. Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow are proving that. I don't think anyone thought 15 years ago that QBs in KC, Buffalo, and Cincinnati would be more marketable than QBs in NY,Dallas, or LA but every one of them is doing just fine where they are. They aren't missing out on any endorsements or notoriety from playing in those places.

Do you think Romo would be in the same position now had he achieved the same record with the Lions? Do you think Whitten would have been given the same opportunity to go from TE to the booth had he been with the Jags? The Cowboys are the most popular sports franchise in the county by a large margin and haven't won but four playoff games this millennia. The status of "America's Team" ain't changing even though the Patriots dominated the NFL since 2000.

StarkVegasSteve
02-08-2023, 09:13 PM
Do you think Romo would be in the same position now had he achieved the same record with the Lions? Do you think Whitten would have been given the same opportunity to go from TE to the booth had he been with the Jags? The Cowboys are the most popular sports franchise in the county by a large margin and haven't won but four playoff games this millennia. The status of "America's Team" ain't changing even though the Patriots dominated the NFL since 2000.

I didn't see anyone knocking down Quincy Carter's door when he retired. Or what about Drew Bledsoe? Romo and Whitten were just in the perfect place at the perfect time. And Whitten was an unmitigated disaster who only got the ESPN job because Romo vouched for him. Romo was a great marketer of his personal brand and that's how he got that job. Just like Greg Olsen with the Fox gig.

viverlibre
02-08-2023, 09:51 PM
I didn't see anyone knocking down Quincy Carter's door when he retired. Or what about Drew Bledsoe? Romo and Whitten were just in the perfect place at the perfect time. And Whitten was an unmitigated disaster who only got the ESPN job because Romo vouched for him. Romo was a great marketer of his personal brand and that's how he got that job. Just like Greg Olsen with the Fox gig.

Sport, Quincy didn't retire, he was with the Cowboys 4 years (started 31 total games). He was more run out of the league. Whitten got a chance though due to him being a Cowboy, he had nothing else going for him. He sucked, but got a chance when most don't. Olsen got a chance to right off the field, but that's not something usual for a TE.

StarkVegasSteve
02-08-2023, 09:59 PM
Sport, Quincy didn't retire, he was with the Cowboys 4 years (started 31 total games). He was more run out of the league. Whitten got a chance though due to him being a Cowboy, he had nothing else going for him. He sucked, but got a chance when most don't. Olsen got a chance too right off the field too, but that's not something usual for a TE.

Well and they were Cowboys when social media was not as prevalent as it is now. So the Cowboys were still "The Team". I think social media has given the fans more power to decide who their favorite players are than in years and decades past. Used to the Cowboys, Brady, or Manning were the only people EVER on a commercial. Within the last 10 years we've seen Mahomes, Allen, Russell Wilson, etc. This new age has allowed for more stars in the league than ever before.

Turfdawg67
02-08-2023, 10:16 PM

Dak 98.3
Carr 95.3

Carr is a solid qb

But I thought you thought Dak was terrible... and Carr is worse.

msstate7
02-08-2023, 10:20 PM
But I thought you thought Dak was terrible... and Carr is worse.

I've never said that

Turfdawg67
02-08-2023, 10:59 PM
Ok... not verbatim. But super critical of Dak... fair? And still Carr is worse. IMO, great move by the Saints.

msstate7
02-08-2023, 11:04 PM
Ok... not verbatim. But super critical of Dak... fair? And still Carr is worse. IMO, great move by the Saints.

I'm critical bc he is good. No reason to be critical of someone who isn't capable of being better

viverlibre
02-09-2023, 10:58 AM
Romo was a great marketer of his personal brand and that's how he got that job.

A big reason he had a great personal brand? He was QB1 of the Cowboys. His brand wouldn't have been near as high profile had he posted the same record with the Titians. Dak would be crazy to willingly leave. No matter where he went, a SB is never guaranteed. Most teams that are SB "ready" already have a QB1 and, although I love Dak (he's my favorite player), he's currently a second tier QB. Say he was traded to the Panthers and posted similar results that he had with the Cowboys, he'd be forgotten once he retires. How often do you hear about Cam? He was better than Dak. Yes Cam is an idiot, just using him as an example.

662dawg
02-09-2023, 11:45 AM
A big reason he had a great personal brand? He was QB1 of the Cowboys. His brand wouldn't have been near as high profile had he posted the same record with the Titians. Dak would be crazy to willingly leave. No matter where he went, a SB is never guaranteed. Most teams that are SB "ready" already have a QB1 and, although I love Dak (he's my favorite player), he's currently a second tier QB. Say he was traded to the Panthers and posted similar results that he had with the Cowboys, he'd be forgotten once he retires. How often do you hear about Cam? He was better than Dak. Yes Cam is an idiot, just using him as an example.

Dak is far better than Peyton Manning in every statistical category at the same point in their careers plus a better W-L record. Their playoff record is identical with Dak putting up better stats at the same point. It is an insult to say Cam is a better NFL QB than Dak when that is categorically false. Cam should not ever be mentioned in the same breath as Dak or Peyton.

msstate7
02-09-2023, 12:36 PM
Dak is far better than Peyton Manning in every statistical category at the same point in their careers plus a better W-L record. Their playoff record is identical with Dak putting up better stats at the same point. It is an insult to say Cam is a better NFL QB than Dak when that is categorically false. Cam should not ever be mentioned in the same breath as Dak or Peyton.

Peyton entered the league in 1998. In 1998, there were 6 qbs with a passer rating over 90, and there were 11 qbs that passed over 3000 yds.

Dak entered the league in 2016. In 2016, there were 17 qbs with a passer rating over 90, and there were 25 qbs that passed over 3000 yds... 13 of the 25 went over 4000 yds.

The nfl has made the ball much easier to pass from 1998 to 2016. I don't think it's fair to even compare qb stats like that. Probably a better way to compare the 2 would be take a median of all qbs in a certain year, and then compare each one to that median. With that said, there's no questioning dak was better as a rookie, but dak was older and he also was on a much better team. Peyton was on a horrible team.

viverlibre
02-09-2023, 01:04 PM

When and if Dak starts winning big games, then you can make augments of him being better than Peyton and Cam. Will holds almost very MSU passing record, but no one thinks he is even close to being as good as Dak, although Will's stats scream otherwise.

662dawg
02-09-2023, 01:51 PM
When and if Dak starts winning big games, then you can make augments of him being better than Peyton and Cam. Will holds almost very MSU passing record, but no one thinks he is even close to being as good as Dak, although Will's stats scream otherwise.

I said at the same point in their careers & Dak has won MORE than he had. Your point is mute. Cam has a career 59% completion percentage. He was never exactly elite. In fact his rookie year was arguably his best year then the league figured him out.

662dawg
02-09-2023, 01:53 PM
Peyton entered the league in 1998. In 1998, there were 6 qbs with a passer rating over 90, and there were 11 qbs that passed over 3000 yds.

Dak entered the league in 2016. In 2016, there were 17 qbs with a passer rating over 90, and there were 25 qbs that passed over 3000 yds... 13 of the 25 went over 4000 yds.

The nfl has made the ball much easier to pass from 1998 to 2016. I don't think it's fair to even compare qb stats like that. Probably a better way to compare the 2 would be take a median of all qbs in a certain year, and then compare each one to that median. With that said, there's no questioning dak was better as a rookie, but dak was older and he also was on a much better team. Peyton was on a horrible team.

Lol OK.

msstate7
02-09-2023, 02:17 PM
Lol OK.

At age 28, Peyton broke the nfl record for td passes and passer rating in a single season; he also won MVP. Both have been broke since. Dak was 29 this season, and he hasn't come close to that level of a season.

I don't even think dak would say he's better peyton. Dak is a top 10 qb the last few years. Peyton is a top 5 qb all time

viverlibre
02-09-2023, 02:23 PM
I said at the same point in their careers & Dak has won MORE than he had. Your point is mute. Cam has a career 59% completion percentage. He was never exactly elite. In fact his rookie year was arguably his best year then the league figured him out.

The figured him out so much he was MVP and led his team to SB in 2015 (his fifth year in the league)? Guess who just completed his 7th year in the league? (hint, it's Dak)

662dawg
02-09-2023, 06:49 PM
The figured him out so much he was MVP and led his team to SB in 2015 (his fifth year in the league)? Guess who just completed his 7th year in the league? (hint, it's Dak)

And still wasn't even a 60% passer that year. In fact his very next year(6th year) he only completed 52.9% of his passes... And was essentially done by his 9th year. Wanna bet Dak isn't done & is still producing at a high level in his 9th year even with all the injuries he's had?

ETA: Cam had THREE winning seasons out of 9 with the Panthers. & THREE winning seasons out of 11 in the NFL. But keep going please.

662dawg
02-09-2023, 06:57 PM
At age 28, Peyton broke the nfl record for td passes and passer rating in a single season; he also won MVP. Both have been broke since. Dak was 29 this season, and he hasn't come close to that level of a season.

I don't even think dak would say he's better peyton. Dak is a top 10 qb the last few years. Peyton is a top 5 qb all time

I said Dak has put together a better first 7 years. That is a fact. It's not based on my opinion, it's based on wins-losses & stats. Dak may very well not end up being the QB that Peyton Manning became. But to say there's not a chance of it based on the facts we have in front of us is pretty immature.

Peyton was 28 in his 7th season. Dak's stats are also essentially 1.5 seasons less than Peyton's due to injuries.

parabrave
02-10-2023, 12:06 AM
I said Dak has put together a better first 7 years. That is a fact. It's not based on my opinion, it's based on wins-losses & stats. Dak may very well not end up being the QB that Peyton Manning became. But to say there's not a chance of it based on the facts we have in front of us is pretty immature.

Peyton was 28 in his 7th season. Dak's stats are also essentially 1.5 seasons less than Peyton's due to injuries.

Peyton also had a 3 HOF players on his offense and a HOF coach. Dak doesn't have a Marvin Harrison of a edgrin James or a Tony Dungy of a Reggie Wayne and so on and so on.

msstate7
02-10-2023, 06:58 AM
In Peyton's 1st 7 seasons...
Led the nfl in passing yards twice
Led passing TDs twice
Led nfl in passing td% once
Led nfl in passer rating once
AP MVP twice
Player of year once
5 pro bowls
Playoffs 5x
Led nfl in int rookie season

In dak's first 7 seasons...
Hasn't led nfl in passing
Hasn't led nfl in passing TDs
Hasn't led nfl in passer rating
Hadn't led nfl in passing td%
NFL ROY
2 pro bowls
Playofffs 4x
Led nfl in int year 7

StarkVegasSteve
02-10-2023, 10:10 AM
So back to the main point, looks like Derek Carr will be a Saint.

msstate7
02-10-2023, 10:36 AM
So back to the main point, looks like Derek Carr will be a Saint.

As a state and saints' fan, I never get excited till I see it reported as fact. Always the bridesmaid...

msstate7
02-12-2023, 05:39 PM
Carr won't accept a trade. He will be a FA. Unfortunately, I don't think this is a good thing for the saints