PDA

View Full Version : MSU Sports Financials FY 2022

Goldendawg
02-06-2023, 06:43 PM
Football made $10.8 mil including $15.3 in media rights.
MBB made $155,864 including $4 mil in media rights and $2.6 mil in NCAA distributions.

Baseball and WBB both had expenses of $5 mil.
Baseball made $3.3 mil.
WBB made $587,753.
Both receive no $ from media rights.

Total Revenue - $110,653,367
Total Expenses- $105,851,622 (Record- $21.5 mil coaches salaries & $5,466,578 in Fundraising, Marketing, and Promotion, a $3 mil increase)
Entire article on Yahoo Sports. Maybe one of you guys can link.

Thoughts?

Maroonthirteen
02-06-2023, 06:57 PM
Thoughts? It's amazing that State takes in 10x in revenue from what it did in the 80s. Yet the sideline seating at DWS is the same as it was in the 1980s and before.

I know they have added other things. Scoreboards and other seating but the goal to goal sideline seating, lower deck.... nothing.

Just a random thought.

Leroy Jenkins
02-06-2023, 07:02 PM
I know that last year MSU was 1 of only 18 athletics departments in the country that were in the black. All of the 18 schools are in a P5 football conference. Football is king.

Of the 229 Div I public institutions, only 18 had profitable athletics departments. The other 200+ are losing money on athletics. Also all 18 profitable institutions are in a P5 football conference.

And even if you dont consider coaching salaries in the athletic budget, only 37 institutions made money.

The Oregon number is so huge because Phil Knight donated 100 million last year (over 300 million over the years).

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/D5612AQE_tpX6xlst-A/article-inline_image-shrink_1500_2232/0/1662219541326?e=1677715200&v=beta&t=efuInvP6eqDQeK2CI6tmoygV2iaI8sg2U3Ipo6YJbY8

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/D5612AQEiZ5cQ2zCKRw/article-inline_image-shrink_1500_2232/0/1662219569771?e=1677715200&v=beta&t=HsDhqRyqZOieDMX66oN5lGSTXn3dNjiqhFcixI2pyIc

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/D5612AQFgcLP4flu5jw/article-inline_image-shrink_1500_2232/0/1662219597762?e=1677715200&v=beta&t=1cI3fimmlhe1F-_7IF9Yz7jBe6_t6LAaKMnE4a6ds1c

Here is the Knight-Newhouse data for SEC athletic departments as a whole.

https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/sec

Leeshouldveflanked
02-06-2023, 08:12 PM
Football pays the bills.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-06-2023, 08:22 PM
It's great ot be financially healthy!

What I want to know is how almost every other program in the country can be in the red year after year forever and nothing happens. Like, are interest rates for an athletic department just super low that the payments aren't a problem? But if they can do it seemingly forever, are we tying one hand behind our back by being 'responsible"? I genuinely don't know- finances for businesses and athletics are not 1:1 comparable to a household budget.

Should we keep banking $5M a year, or should we spent it + some to try to be more competitive?

viverlibre
02-06-2023, 09:28 PM
Should we keep banking $5M a year

I'd rather spend it on hookers and blow.

Jarius
02-06-2023, 09:30 PM
MBB made $155,864 including $4 mil in media rights and $2.6 mil in NCAA distributions.

Baseball made $3.3 mil.
WBB made $587,753.

Total Expenses- $105,851,622 (Record- $21.5 mil coaches salaries & $5,466,578 in Fundraising, Marketing, and Promotion, a $3 mil increase)

Thoughts?

My thought is that is you are one of the only ones in the black then you’re probably not trying hard enough to win. At least we have a palace of a baseball stadium.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-06-2023, 09:54 PM
I know that last year MSU was 1 of only 18 athletics departments in the country that were in the black. All of the other 18 schools are in a P5 football conference. Football is king.

If we were “1 of only 18”, then it would be 17 other schools, not 18.

Goldendawg
02-06-2023, 10:18 PM
I'd rather spend it on hookers and blow.

Aren't those two things OM recruiting expenses?****. Not really sure about *****

Goldendawg
02-06-2023, 10:20 PM
My thought is that is you are one of the only ones in the black then you’re probably not trying hard enough to win. At least we have a palace of a baseball stadium.

Baseball lost about $1.7 mil. Is some of that due to the losing season or does it usually finish in the red?

Homedawg
02-06-2023, 10:26 PM

Baseball made $3.3 mil.
WBB made $587,753.

Thoughts?

delete

Homedawg
02-06-2023, 10:28 PM
Baseball lost about $1.7 mil. Is some of that due to the losing season or does it usually finish in the red?
Not sure how the stadium factors in w bdc and debt. But prior to new stadium we never made money.

Reunion Dog
02-07-2023, 04:35 AM
Our Fundraising has to get better.

What was going to be done on the West side during the spring and summer and move the pressbox and add a club level in the West side? Has anyone heard anything about that lately?

Johnson85
02-07-2023, 09:45 AM
How is it possible Ole Miss could have lost $10M on athletics? Surely that is an accounting difference, where one of us counts money from the foundation as revenue and one doesn't or something?

viverlibre
02-07-2023, 10:25 AM
Aren't those two things OM recruiting expenses?****. Not really sure about *****

As for a women, i think they use wives of alums and co-eds

Goldendawg
02-07-2023, 11:42 AM
Our Fundraising has to get better.

What was going to be done on the West side during the spring and summer and move the pressbox and add a club level in the West side? Has anyone heard anything about that lately?

States we spent $5,466,578 on Fundraising, Marketing, and Promotion, a $3 mil increase over 2021 and the most ever spent in these areas.

Liverpooldawg
02-07-2023, 12:21 PM

Baseball is usually a money loser.

RockyDog
02-07-2023, 04:46 PM
Thoughts? It's amazing that State takes in 10x in revenue from what it did in the 80s. Yet the sideline seating at DWS is the same as it was in the 1980s and before.

I know they have added other things. Scoreboards and other seating but the goal to goal sideline seating, lower deck.... nothing.

Just a random thought.

Are you talking about adding seating? With upper decks, club levels and press boxes in place, how exactly could that be done other than lowering the field? If you are talking about adding chair seats, then that lowers attendance numbers which doesnt sit well with the crowd that HAS to have a 65k stadium to feel relevant.

Jarius
02-07-2023, 06:07 PM
How is it possible Ole Miss could have lost $10M on athletics? Surely that is an accounting difference, where one of us counts money from the foundation as revenue and one doesn't or something?

Because while we are stuffing money in a rainy day fund and shoveling money that we got for athletics into the academic budget, Ole Miss is doing everything possible to win in athletics. Now they haven’t done a very good job sometimes doing that because they have spent the money poorly, but they are putting forth maximum financial effort, whereas we are not.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-07-2023, 06:56 PM
Considering only 18 of 229 listed made money, sounds like we need to get rid of some ex-athletes and academics and get some common sense business people in charge. For instance Ole Miss has a chancellor with a school admin background, and an AD who has never run a business with skin in the game. Prices to attend keep going up, but schools can’t balance the budget. It’s like the federal government.

Jarius
02-07-2023, 07:13 PM
Considering only 18 of 229 listed made money, sounds like we need to get rid of some ex-athletes and academics and get some common sense business people in charge. For instance Ole Miss has a chancellor with a school admin background, and an AD who has never run a business with skin in the game. Prices to attend keep going up, but schools can?t balance the budget. It?s like the federal government.

This isn’t a for profit business. If you’re not spending all of your money you’re doing it wrong. Alabama loses money almost every year. If you want to win, you spend the money. If you want to go 7-5, you squirrel it away just in case a once in a every 200 year pandemic hits so you won’t have to fire quite as many janitors.

Homedawg
02-07-2023, 07:20 PM
Considering only 18 of 229 listed made money, sounds like we need to get rid of some ex-athletes and academics and get some common sense business people in charge. For instance Ole Miss has a chancellor with a school admin background, and an AD who has never run a business with skin in the game. Prices to attend keep going up, but schools can?t balance the budget. It?s like the federal government.

Ga made 36 mil. They stupid too?? Now I agree 5 mil might be too much but our rainy day find kept our coaches paid during covid. Ole miss had to give every coach a pay cut.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-07-2023, 07:23 PM
This isn’t a for profit business. If you’re not spending all of your money you’re doing it wrong. Alabama loses money almost every year. If you want to win, you spend the money. If you want to go 7-5, you squirrel it away just in case a once in a every 200 year pandemic hits so you won’t have to fire quite as many janitors.

Maybe you should break even financially and go undefeated. Many schools on the list lost money and had losing records.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Ga made 36 mil. They stupid too?? Now I agree 5 mil might be too much but our rainy day find kept our coaches paid during covid. Ole miss had to give every coach a pay cut.

I’m not being critical of Georgia. They are winning and running a surplus.

StarkVegasSteve
02-07-2023, 07:36 PM

Hey Larry you already convinced us to sell home games to make money in the early 90s we're not doing it again.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-07-2023, 07:36 PM

And this idea is the “that’s the way it’s always done”, or “that’s the way everybody else does it”, or a “government mentality”. My thought is “let’s clear $10 million and kick everybody’s tail on the field. I didn’t come here to lose money or lose games.”

Find a better way, compete in the front office, don’t settle for being like everybody else.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-07-2023, 07:38 PM
Hey Larry you already convinced us to sell home games to make money in the early 90s we're not doing it again.

Larry Templeton is exactly what I’m AGAINST! He would have made a good government bureaucrat.

confucius say
02-07-2023, 08:55 PM
Not sure how the stadium factors in w bdc and debt. But prior to new stadium we never made money.

But that's counting all tv revenue to football right? None to baseball?
But baseball is on tv so why does it not get allocated part of the media rights package?

If we took media rights away from football it'd be 5 million in the red best I can tell

Jarius
02-07-2023, 08:58 PM
Maybe you should break even financially and go undefeated. Many schools on the list lost money and had losing records.

We don’t have enough money to do that. Georgia has an enormous budget. When we get a budget as large as theirs we can say that but we can’t with our current budget in the league we play in if we ever want to attempt to compete at a high level. Just because there are a couple of schools out there that can’t get out of there own way even though they have all the money in the world doesn’t mean that not investing as much money as you can into your athletics programs isn’t the best way to make them get better.

Jarius
02-07-2023, 09:00 PM
And this idea is the “that’s the way it’s always done”, or “that’s the way everybody else does it”, or a “government mentality”. My thought is “let’s clear $10 million and kick everybody’s tail on the field. I didn’t come here to lose money or lose games.”

Find a better way, compete in the front office, don’t settle for being like everybody else.

Well your idea is stupid when we have the second smallest athletics budget in the toughest conference in college sports. The idea that we could do what you’re suggesting and compete as highly as we could as if we actually invested all of our money into getting better is completely ignorant.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-07-2023, 09:01 PM
We don’t have enough money to do that. Georgia has an enormous budget. They have so much money they literally can’t spend it all. We don’t. When we get a budget as large as theirs we can say that but we can’t with our current budget in the league we play in if we ever want to attempt to compete at a high level.

That’s what losers say. I don’t want to here excuses. Find a way. Don’t follow the same old blueprint. Accept nothing less than the best.

Jarius
02-07-2023, 09:06 PM
That’s what losers say. I don’t want to here excuses. Find a way. Don’t follow the same old blueprint. Accept nothing less than the best.

Us staying in the black and getting our asses kicked by teams with bigger budgets has been our blueprint for 100 years. Your way doesn’t work. It’s been proven at this school that your way is indeed the loser’s way.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-07-2023, 09:06 PM
Well your idea is stupid when we have the second smallest athletics budget in the toughest conference in college sports. The idea that we could do what you’re suggesting and compete as highly as we could as if we actually invested all of our money into getting better is completely ignorant.

Jarius, have you ever done something that folks said couldn’t be done? Have you ever made chicken salad from chicken poop? Why the defeatist attitude? This is the way we do it, it can’t be done, others have an advantage, blah blah blah. Be a disrupter. You can refuse to accept the status quo. You can dare to be better and outwork and outthink and out-innovate the competition.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-07-2023, 09:07 PM
Us staying in the black and getting our asses kicked by teams with bigger budgets has been our blueprint for 100 years. Your way doesn’t work. It’s been proven at this school that your way is indeed the loser’s way.

That’s the opposite of my blueprint. I assure you that is not my blueprint. Far from it.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-07-2023, 09:08 PM

I’m saying that this is the way NOT to do it. Good lands man.

Todd4State
02-08-2023, 12:42 AM
My thought is that is you are one of the only ones in the black then you?re probably not trying hard enough to win. At least we have a palace of a baseball stadium.

Oregon and Georgia agree with this.**

archdog
02-08-2023, 01:25 AM
And at some point the pedigree and gigantic budget advantage still wins. Tell me the last time a small school with a small budget found lasting success in Division 1 football.

TaleofTwoDogs
02-08-2023, 03:37 AM
Use caution when reading summary financial data for non-profit organizations. A person would have to have full access to the financial detail to truly understand the financial highlights. For example. Goldendawg's post shows net proceeds from operations of $4.8MM whereas the table in Jenkins post shows $1.8MM. Also even if Phil Knight donated $100MM to Oregon that would mean the other friends of the university kicked in $135MM assuming that their operational "earnings" were about $35MM. As another poster stated why wasn't media rights for baseball allocated to the baseball program? These numbers also show if you add more non-revenue sports teams to the mix we would surely have had a deficit for the fiscal year. Is performance on the field tied to the difference between a large budget (like State's) or a huge budget (like Georgia)? In the modern era, it sure seems that it does.

Jarius
02-08-2023, 08:12 AM
I’m saying that this is the way NOT to do it. Good lands man.

You want us to spend less money and win. You act like you can just do that by “trying hard”. You think everyone we hired and failed just didn’t try hard enough? Just wasn’t innovative enough? Get real. We are competing at a miraculous level right now in football with our budget and the best we are doing is 6-8 wins a year. It’s not going to get better unless we put more financial commitment to it, and even that is not a guarantee as you can see by the schools who invested poorly. Nothing is a sure thing, but investing less financially into something is a sure way to make your chances of long term success go down, not up. It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to tell you that.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-08-2023, 09:38 AM
You want us to spend less money and win. You act like you can just do that by “trying hard”. You think everyone we hired and failed just didn’t try hard enough? Just wasn’t innovative enough? Get real. We are competing at a miraculous level right now in football with our budget and the best we are doing is 6-8 wins a year. It’s not going to get better unless we put more financial commitment to it, and even that is not a guarantee as you can see by the schools who invested poorly. Nothing is a sure thing, but investing less financially into something is a sure way to make your chances of long term success go down, not up. It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to tell you that.

Schools are academia. Most are government (such as MSU and Ole Miss). There are always too many layers of bureacracy. There just is. There is plenty of fat that can be cut, then replaced with some fire-eaters. Dare to be different. You say it can't be done. I say that it can. I've done it in business. It takes the right mindset.

Jarius
02-08-2023, 11:53 AM
Schools are academia. Most are government (such as MSU and Ole Miss). There are always too many layers of bureacracy. There just is. There is plenty of fat that can be cut, then replaced with some fire-eaters. Dare to be different. You say it can't be done. I say that it can. I've done it in business. It takes the right mindset.

Cool. Every single program that wins big has a lot of money and spends a lot of it. It’s awesome to know that you are so damn arrogant that you think you’re smarter than literally everyone in college athletics that has a smaller budget. They should consult you, oh mighty knower of everything.

Really Clark?
02-08-2023, 12:39 PM
And at some point the pedigree and gigantic budget advantage still wins. Tell me the last time a small school with a small budget found lasting success in Division 1 football.

That question can only be answered when you define success. If it's consistently competing for and/or winning championships then the answer is none. If it's making bowl games, you have several like us. What's the line for success?

Goldendawg
02-08-2023, 12:58 PM
Cool. Every single program that wins big has a lot of money and spends a lot of it. It’s awesome to know that you are so damn arrogant that you think you’re smarter than literally everyone in college athletics that has a smaller budget. They should consult you, oh mighty knower of everything.

If being the smartest,( at least in the room), brings the most return both financially and on the field, shouldn't we have been #1 in both categories while Cohen was here?****. Better watch out for Auburn!*****

StarkVegasSteve
02-08-2023, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't care if we are in the black or the red for the next couple of years because when the new TV contract infuses another 70-80 mil into your athletic budget no team in the SEC will ever be in the red again unless they're actively trying to be in the red. Also we have 501c3 status so we're supposed to be spending money. If we're actively hoarding money it looks bad.

Johnson85
02-08-2023, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't care if we are in the black or the red for the next couple of years because when the new TV contract infuses another 70-80 mil into your athletic budget no team in the SEC will ever be in the red again unless they're actively trying to be in the red. Also we have 501c3 status so we're supposed to be spending money. If we're actively hoarding money it looks bad.

If nothing gets fixed with NIL, we need to be in the black and paying off debt so we can tell donors to put their money into NIL.

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2023, 03:59 PM
If nothing gets fixed with NIL, we need to be in the black and paying off debt so we can tell donors to put their money into NIL.

Exactly. Considering we are paying our debt service now and still banking a profit, re-direct giving to NIL. Once the new TV contract kicks in, then our Collective should start handling our advertising and merch rights and let that money fund NIL.

Tripp McNeely
02-08-2023, 04:01 PM
Exactly. Considering we are paying our debt service now and still banking a profit, re-direct giving to NIL. Once the new TV contract kicks in, then our Collective should start handling our advertising and merch rights and let that money fund NIL.

^^^^ This!!! Get Charlie on line 1!!

BrunswickDawg
02-08-2023, 04:10 PM
^^^^ This!!! Get Charlie on line 1!!

When you are at a disadvantage you have to think outside the box. Doubling the SEC check will allow us to do that. NIL is about ads and merch. In FY21, the Corporate sponsorships, Advertising and Licensing of MSU sports generated $7.14 million. $14 million was raised in donor contributions. The two total over $21m. MSU can easily assign those rights and fundraising efforts to the Bulldog Collective for a $1 a year with the express purpose of providing funds for athletes. Every ad on MSU's campus should feature an athlete. You should be able to buy autographed mini-helmets for any football player in the damn bookstore. That $21m annually goes a long way to getting top line athletes every year.

Pancho
02-08-2023, 07:33 PM
dam where is IYOK when we need him? living it up on the plains

Johnson85
02-09-2023, 11:58 AM

Somebody on here I think said University contractors/vendors couldn't fund NIL deals. No clue if that's something in the rules or if that's just something somebody assumed would have to be in the rules to meaningfully prevent universities from funding NIL deals.

As a matter of state law, not sure they could use giving to NIL in awarding contracts, even if they are exempt from bid law.

Goldendawg
02-09-2023, 12:06 PM
dam where is IYOK when we need him? living it up on the plains

Thank goodness. Fits in fine with Freeze and Pearl. This trio has more slime than Nickleodeon Network. Hail State!

Desoto1967
02-09-2023, 12:18 PM
I know that last year MSU was 1 of only 18 athletics departments in the country that were in the black. All of the 18 schools are in a P5 football conference. Football is king.

How does little James Madison and others get so far in the RED????? A service academy (Air Force) at 44mill???

Tripp McNeely
02-09-2023, 01:04 PM
A service academy (Air Force) at 44mill???

Lots o' federal funding my man!

SheltonChoked
02-09-2023, 05:05 PM
When you are at a disadvantage you have to think outside the box. Doubling the SEC check will allow us to do that. NIL is about ads and merch. In FY21, the Corporate sponsorships, Advertising and Licensing of MSU sports generated $7.14 million. $14 million was raised in donor contributions. The two total over $21m. MSU can easily assign those rights and fundraising efforts to the Bulldog Collective for a $1 a year with the express purpose of providing funds for athletes. Every ad on MSU's campus should feature an athlete. You should be able to buy autographed items for sport in the damn bookstore. That $21m annually goes a long way to getting top line athletes every year.

FTFY

I'd go farther, Everything for sale in games or on campus should be part of NIL money. Make the Hot Dogs and beer (and everything else) $1 more and funnel it to NIL. Call them baseball dogs, football beer, Volleyball nachos, Basketball chick fila, track popcorn, softball soft drinks, etc.

Goldendawg
02-09-2023, 05:17 PM
FTFY

I'd go farther, Everything for sale in games or on campus should be part of NIL money. Make the Hot Dogs and beer (and everything else) $1 more and funnel it to NIL. Call them baseball dogs, football beer, Volleyball nachos, Basketball chick fila, track popcorn, softball soft drinks, etc.

Just think. You can brag you drank $40 worth of beer and didn't even catch a buzz!****