PDA

View Full Version : Today we need Florida, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Ole Miss to lose...

CadaverDawg
04-21-2013, 11:42 AM
I went through the schedules going forward, and Florida, Arkansas and Ole Miss have cakewalk schedules the rest of the way for the most part.

With that being said, I could easily see Ole Miss with 17 SEC wins. Arkansas could easily end up with 19 wins, and Florida could have 19-20. For you RPI guys....Can we expect to host over teams like these if we end up with only 17 SEC wins of our own? How much will overall record play in to hosting spots in a scenario like that? When you look at other schedules, it's hard to imagine us finishing higher than 5th overall in the SEC even if we play well going down the stretch.

Not trying to be a downer, just curious. For instance, say we win 18 SEC games and feel like we're in a great spot for a National Seed....but Arkansas and Florida both have 19 SEC wins. Would the committee allow us to be a National Seed over two teams that finished higher in the SEC, and have more recent post season success than us?

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-21-2013, 12:10 PM
if those guys have 17 - 19 wins and we get to 17, no doubt we host over all of them. I think South Carolina is our threat. I dont think arkansas has a prayer to host.

msstate7
04-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Ole miss still has lsu and us. They'll be lucky to win either series

engie
04-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Depends on the committee -- there is no published guideline for baseball and they all seem to value different things on different weightings. That's one of the major problems I have with the baseball committee.

Arkansas could potentially win 20 in the SEC and not make the top 30 in RPI. They are almost totally fried now from hosting...

Florida could finish with a good RPI and good SEC record, but only be about 10 games over .500 overall. That's going to hurt them in the eyes of the committee...

Until further notice, I'm not worried about those two. South Carolina and Ole Miss are the legit threats -- but we get to play them both head to head and decide our own destiny.

We will likely finish 3rd in the SEC in RPI -- with the 3rd best overall record. That'll certainly be enough to host -- and we control our own destiny toward getting a national seed.

Another thing -- Games are NEVER as lopsided at the end of the schedule as they are at the beginning. Alot more parity seeps in. That's why you saw Alabama take LSU 16 innings yesterday, Georgia beat Vandy once, #5,6,7,and 9 go 0-5, Mizzou take Florida 15 and have a chance to win both of the first 2, etc... When looking at other teams' schedules, it is basically never as good(or bad) as you think it is.

CadaverDawg
04-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Depends on the committee -- there is no published guideline for baseball and they all seem to value different things on different weightings. That's one of the major problems I have with the baseball committee.

Arkansas could potentially win 20 in the SEC and not make the top 30 in RPI. They are almost totally fried now from hosting...

Florida could finish with a good RPI and good SEC record, but only be about 10 games over .500 overall. That's going to hurt them in the eyes of the committee...

Until further notice, I'm not worried about those two. South Carolina and Ole Miss are the legit threats -- but we get to play them both head to head and decide our own destiny.

We will likely finish 3rd in the SEC in RPI -- with the 3rd best overall record. That'll certainly be enough to host -- and we control our own destiny toward getting a national seed.

Another thing -- Games are NEVER as lopsided at the end of the schedule as they are at the beginning. Alot more parity seeps in. That's why you saw Alabama take LSU 16 innings yesterday, Georgia beat Vandy once, #5,6,7,and 9 go 0-5, Mizzou take Florida 15 and have a chance to win both of the first 2, etc... When looking at other teams' schedules, it is basically never as good(or bad) as you think it is.

Nice breakdown. I completely agree that USC and Ole Miss are our biggest threats. Ole Miss has the best schedule of the 3 of us, and they have a RPI of 21 and SOS of 28. USC has a brutal schedule coming up, but they have a RPI of 13 and SOS at 40. Both have very good overall records too.

Ole Miss is in a position where they could control their own destiny just like us. South Carolina will have to really play some good ball against LSU, Vandy, UGA, and us....wow.

One series I look forward to seeing, is Ole Miss at Auburn. Auburn is not a terrible team. They aren't good, but they've played some good teams close in their losses. If Auburn can take 2 of 3 from Ole Miss at home, the Rebs will be out of the hosting discussion. It would also be great to see Kentucky steal a game or two in Oxford next weekend, but UK is looking bad right now.