PDA

View Full Version : This adds a twist to the whole NIL thingy...

TUSK
02-01-2023, 06:11 PM
UGA's Bowers declines "collective" money so it can go to his teammates... He'll make plenty in endorsements....

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/brock-bowers-collective/U6DA3DKHVVEPPOJBXAIQBICRUQ/

Extendedcab
02-01-2023, 07:15 PM
Well this does put a twist on the whole NIL debacle.

I though the NIL was money received by a student athlete for "marketing" a company's product(s). But the text in the article says there are 2 categories of NIL money!! The collective deals - meaning donations form alumni or other university supporters - you know the money that the NCAA used to outlaw is news to me! This is the same old cigar boy money and backroom deals being made. They did not reduce the sources of money, they in effect added to it or consolidated it - Cigar money, that used to be outlawed and now NIL - promotional!

From the article:

"To be clear, there are two categories of NIL deals: collective driven deals that are most often funded by donors, and true-brand (commercial) deals and endorsements."

RocketDawg
02-01-2023, 07:38 PM
Good for Bowers. Didn't our guy Will Rogers do something similar?

Leroy Jenkins
02-02-2023, 09:43 AM
NIL was sold to everyone as a player being able to make money from endorsement deals. For example, someone gives me 20K to go on TV and say "Nobody beats a Cannon deal...... Nooooobody." Currently that type of endorsement is in the minority of NIL money. A blindfolded Stevie Wonder sleeping in Ray Charles' basement can see that what we have now is pay-for-play and it was not the intent. NCAA is going to have to be very creative with the wording on how to fix this mess.

MadDawg
02-02-2023, 02:32 PM
The legalizing of pay-to-play is the next step in the process.

NIL was sold to everyone as a player being able to make money from endorsement deals. For example, someone gives me 20K to go on TV and say "Nobody beats a Cannon deal...... Nooooobody." Currently that type of endorsement is in the minority of NIL money. A blindfolded Stevie Wonder sleeping in Ray Charles' basement can see that what we have now is pay-for-play and it was not the intent. NCAA is going to have to be very creative with the wording on how to fix this mess.

msudawglb
02-02-2023, 02:46 PM
"To be clear, there are two categories of NIL deals: collective driven deals that are most often funded by donors, and true-brand (commercial) deals and endorsements."

It's not a surprise to me. I always assumed this is where my BI donated money was going....collective deal funded by donors.

viverlibre
02-02-2023, 02:59 PM
Good for Bowers. Didn't our guy Will Rogers do something similar?

Doesn't his (and possibly Austin William's) go to a charity?