PDA

View Full Version : BB scrimmage notes from twitter

AlSwearengen
01-28-2023, 08:23 AM
-Pico Kohn was 90-93. Of course that would be for a very short stint, but that is encouraging. Hopefully it isn?t straight and flat.
-Dakota Jordan hit a moon shot over the lounge in left.
-Hines hit a bomb.

HoopsDawg
01-28-2023, 10:03 AM
-Pico Kohn was 90-93. Of course that would be for a very short stint, but that is encouraging. Hopefully it isn?t straight and flat.
-Dakota Jordan hit a moon shot over the lounge in left.
-Hines hit a bomb.

Apparently Jordan's bomb went 460. Incredible.

Homedawg
01-28-2023, 10:08 AM
Dohm w a good outing. That's big

HoopsDawg
01-28-2023, 10:16 AM

Definitely big for the back end of the pen.

HoopsDawg
01-28-2023, 10:23 AM
Here's my opening day lineup:

1. Larry, 2B, R
2. Ledbetter, CF, L
3. Slate, 3B, R
4. Hines, 1B, L
5. Jordan, LF, R
6. Kellum, RF, L
7. Downs, DH, R
8. Hancock, C, L
9. Mershon, SS, S

** This is not my prediction of the opening day lineup. This is my lineup and it is correct. **

WinningIsRelentless
01-28-2023, 10:30 AM

1. Larry, 2B, R
2. Ledbetter, CF, L
3. Slate, 3B, R
4. Hines, 1B, L
5. Jordan, LF, R
6. Kellum, RF, L
7. Downs, DH, R
8. Hancock, C, L
9. Mershon, SS, S

** This is not my prediction of the opening day lineup. This is my lineup and it is correct. **

Better hope we hit a ton of bombs with that lineup. Station to station baseball if you don?t have bombs with 3-8.

msstate7
01-28-2023, 10:32 AM

1. Larry, 2B, R
2. Ledbetter, CF, L
3. Slate, 3B, R
4. Hines, 1B, L
5. Jordan, LF, R
6. Kellum, RF, L
7. Downs, DH, R
8. Hancock, C, L
9. Mershon, SS, S

If the lineup is good enough to force a 7th year guy like Hancock to 8th in lineup, we should be damn solid

msstate7
01-28-2023, 10:34 AM
Apparently Jordan's bomb went 460. Incredible.

Color me skeptical. That woulda been a top 15 in distance in mlb last season.

HoopsDawg
01-28-2023, 10:36 AM
Better hope we hit a ton of bombs with that lineup. Station to station baseball if you don?t have bombs with 3-8.

I don't get it. Downs is a sub 6.5 guy. Jordan is a 6.44 guy. Larry, Ledbetter, and Mershon can all run. That's 5 guys out of 9 that can steal bases. Even Kellum moves well for a big guy. I'll also set the O/U at 100 HR's.

HoopsDawg
01-28-2023, 10:38 AM

113 exit velo. On the right launch angle, that's will do it. Gaut has thrown out the Bo Jackson/Kirby Puckett comparison on Jordan.

HoopsDawg
01-28-2023, 10:39 AM
If the lineup is good enough to force a 7th year guy like Hancock to 8th in lineup, we should be damn solid

Hancock won't be batting 8th. That's for sure. I'm just posting what I would do.

CaptainObvious
01-28-2023, 11:06 AM

Color me unimpressed. Blaze Jordan was hitting those at 14 years old.😳

BlackSailsDawg
01-28-2023, 11:20 AM
I'm pretty excited about this season!

Tripp McNeely
01-28-2023, 11:28 AM
I don't get it. Downs is a sub 6.5 guy. Jordan is a 6.44 guy. Larry, Ledbetter, and Mershon can all run. That's 5 guys out of 9 that can steal bases. Even Kellum moves well for a big guy. I'll also set the O/U at 100 HR's.

1. Larry, 2B, R
2. Ledbetter, CF, L
3. Slate, 3B, R
4. Hines, 1B, L
5. Jordan, LF, R
6. Kellum, RF, L
7. Downs, DH, R
8. Hancock, C, L
9. Mershon, SS, S

As much as some would like for it to happen, Mershon is not beating out Forsythe

StarkVegasSteve
01-28-2023, 11:37 AM
Color me unimpressed. Blaze Jordan was hitting those at 14 years old.��

In batting practice. He never did it on a 95 mph heater. Jordan has STUPID power. I am telling you all now, he is going to hit the lofts more than one time this year.

BlackSailsDawg
01-28-2023, 11:44 AM
In batting practice. He never did it on a 95 mph heater. Jordan has STUPID power. I am telling you all now, he is going to hit the lofts more than one time this year.

That's what I want to hear!

HoopsDawg
01-28-2023, 01:24 PM
I'm pretty excited about this season!

I think we are going to hit and defend. It's all on the pitching. We don't have that one guy on the weekends who is a stud like we usually do.

AlSwearengen
01-28-2023, 03:43 PM
I’m surprised we are still trying to force Forsythe out of the lineup. It would take Mershon getting into a game and immediately going on an offensive tear that lasted for awhile.

Jordan is built like a tank, so I’m sure he has the ability to hit some tape measure type shots.

If the offense is there, a “johnnie whole staff” approach to the pitching side might carry us a good ways if several of the pitchers can do the job asked of them and not walk a small city every game.

RocketDawg
01-28-2023, 04:01 PM

Just a smooth pitching wedge.

Cowbell
01-28-2023, 04:27 PM

I heard 98...

Cowbell
01-28-2023, 04:28 PM

Wooden bat..

msstate7
01-28-2023, 04:30 PM
Wooden bat..

Well, you still you grown ass men swinging those bats and mlb pitchers velocity to generate even more power.

TNDawg35
01-28-2023, 05:02 PM
Some of y’all are crazy wanting Forsythe out. Dude has done nothing but defend at an elite level and consistently get better at the plate. Y’all forget dude was a legit freshman when he was thrown into the lineup cause Kam James couldn’t catch a cold at SS. If he continues to get better, why the hell would we want to replace him cause he has one of the best gloves in the SEC at SS.

Saltydog
01-28-2023, 05:46 PM
I?m surprised we are still trying to force Forsythe out of the lineup. It would take Mershon getting into a game and immediately going on an offensive tear that lasted for awhile.

Jordan is built like a tank, so I?m sure he has the ability to hit some tape measure type shots.

If the offense is there, a ?johnnie whole staff? approach to the pitching side might carry us a good ways if several of the pitchers can do the job asked of them and not walk a small city every game.

Mershon led off the game w/a dinger off of PFS...........Stinnett still struggling with command..........He was roughed up today in his one inning of work.........

HoopsDawg
01-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Some of y’all are crazy wanting Forsythe out. Dude has done nothing but defend at an elite level and consistently get better at the plate. Y’all forget dude was a legit freshman when he was thrown into the lineup cause Kam James couldn’t catch a cold at SS. If he continues to get better, why the hell would we want to replace him cause he has one of the best gloves in the SEC at SS.

Nothing against him. Mershon is just better.

HoopsDawg
01-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Mershon led off the game w/a dinger off of PFS...........Stinnett still struggling with command..........He was roughed up today in his one inning of work.........

Oppo homer too. Right now I've got Cade Smith and Gartman as weekend starters. 3 starter is TBA.

On my earlier post, I should have switched Hancock and Clark in the order. Clark should be 8th and Hancock 6th.

MaroonFlounder
01-28-2023, 06:07 PM
Oppo homer too. Right now I've got Cade Smith and Gartman as weekend starters. 3 starter is TBA.

On my earlier post, I should have switched Hancock and Clark in the order. Clark should be 8th and Hancock 6th.

Still too low in the order. Hancock has the best eye at the plate, and doesn’t swing at bad pitches.

msstate7
01-28-2023, 06:08 PM
Delete

TNDawg35
01-28-2023, 08:35 PM
Still too low in the order. Hancock has the best eye at the plate, and doesn’t swing at bad pitches.

He also rolls over on more weak ground balls to the 2B than anyone I have ever seen…

Todd4State
01-28-2023, 09:22 PM
He also rolls over on more weak ground balls to the 2B than anyone I have ever seen…

He needs to pull the ball more.

Todd4State
01-28-2023, 09:23 PM

PFS- lights out when the lights are off.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-28-2023, 09:43 PM
Dakota Jordan and Ross Highfill both came in with some holes that can be exploited by the opposition. All freshmen have that issue when you get to this level of play. But these guys can overcome it quickly. They are both very good athletes and they are both advanced physically (size and strength). They aren’t physically built like freshmen. Their size, strength, and athleticism will make up for some of their inexperience and rawness.

KB21
01-28-2023, 11:15 PM
How long will it take for some of you to complain that we aren?t bunting enough?

Cowbell
01-28-2023, 11:34 PM
How long will it take for some of you to complain that we aren?t bunting enough?

Your mom said it's past your bedtime

CaptainObvious
01-29-2023, 12:57 AM

Bunting- any festive decorations made of fabric. Plastic, paper, or cardboard may be used in place of fabric. See-Independence Day decorations around Baseball Parks throughout the US of A.

The Federalist Engineer
01-29-2023, 01:26 AM

If Hancock can hit 350, then move him up. But I don't think Lemonis can bench Highfill's potential for another 260 season with 5 little bombs.

Todd4State
01-29-2023, 10:15 AM
If Hancock can hit 350, then move him up. But I don't think Lemonis can bench Highfill's potential for another 260 season with 5 little bombs.

I'll be happy with .300 from Hancock.

RiverCityDawg
01-29-2023, 10:33 AM

He worked really hard to get Luke to come back and named him captain of the team. Highfill will get some time to rest Luke, but otherwise Luke will have to tank hard to fall out of the regular lineup.

Really Clark?
01-29-2023, 10:44 AM

Hancock will be in the line-up. Lemonis may have to find ways to get players enough swings if we swing like we can potentially, but I don't see Hancock not in the lineup barring a Josh Hatcher type of collapse. He stabilizes the lineup, doesn't strikeout, will do the things at the plate to move/score runners and gets on base a lot.

Really Clark?
01-29-2023, 10:55 AM

Josh Hatcher in 2021 said hold my beer son...

Leeshouldveflanked
01-29-2023, 11:31 AM
Still too low in the order. Hancock has the best eye at the plate, and doesn?t swing at bad pitches.

Double Play Machine

PMDawg
01-29-2023, 11:50 AM
Double Play Machine

Hancock will have a big year for us.

Really Clark?
01-29-2023, 11:59 AM
Double Play Machine

3 last year

Homedawg
01-29-2023, 12:11 PM
3 last year

But still.... try not to use facts when shooting down a bad take!!

Cowbell
01-29-2023, 12:22 PM
But still.... try not to use facts when shooting down a bad take!!

Opinions only welcome here

Cowbell
01-29-2023, 12:22 PM
Double Play Machine
You are confusing him with Cumbest

Todd4State
01-29-2023, 01:17 PM
Offense will be fine. Wasn't the issue last year.

The issue is we don't have an ace and we're going to have to use our bullpen a lot. Nixon and Dohm are huge additions. Pico adding velocity is encouraging. Holcombe looks promising. We have some freshmen that could help too.

The issue is Foxhall isn't very creative with how he uses the staff and he lets guys go way too long. He's going to have to channel his inner Butch Thompson to make this work.

confucius say
01-29-2023, 02:07 PM
I was there Friday. Dakota HR was the furthest ball I've seen hit there since Niko for ND. The analytics I was told was 450 ft and 113 exit velocity. It was 0-2 and pico tried to elevate a fastball. Cleared the stadium and landed at the base of the condos.

Dohm was very impressive. 96-98. Located well. Slider was 89.
Ledbetter hit two rockets for doubles to left center. That's oppo for him.
Hines hit a rocket HR to right.
Kellum tripled off the wall in center.
Highfill double off the wall in right. Oppo

Cade was sharp. KC was not.

basedog
01-29-2023, 02:17 PM
Offense will be fine. Wasn't the issue last year.

The issue is we don't have an ace and we're going to have to use our bullpen a lot. Nixon and Dohm are huge additions. Pico adding velocity is encouraging. Holcombe looks promising. We have some freshmen that could help too.

The issue is Foxhall isn't very creative with how he uses the staff and he lets guys go way too long. He's going to have to channel his inner Butch Thompson to make this work.

You may be surprised.

Todd4State
01-29-2023, 02:48 PM
You may be surprised.

Hopefully I am. In a good way.

BrunswickDawg
01-29-2023, 04:32 PM
You may be surprised.

Yeah, I think too many people are putting too much on last years melt down as a sign for this year. We also added some really strong pieces - but our inferiority complex says "we aren't good because LSU got better transfers".

Offshore Dawg
01-29-2023, 04:54 PM
A lot of experts in this thread.

Todd4State
01-29-2023, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I think too many people are putting too much on last years melt down as a sign for this year. We also added some really strong pieces - but our inferiority complex says "we aren't good because LSU got better transfers".

We really need Loftin or Loo to be Paul Maholm 2.0 as freshmen where they come in and are top of the weekend rotation caliber as freshmen. We lack an ace. It is what it is. Skenes would have addressed that. We can still be good but we're going to have to be forward thinking to do it. I think we have the talent to do it. Nixon, Dohm, and Holcombe are all mid-upper 90's guys. Tyler Davis has looked good and Pico has increased his velocity. We need all of those guys and we need them to stay healthy. We're going to need them to be 2-3 inning guys right out of the gate. Stinnett needs to step up but he's a head case. I think we should just let him start midweek and leave him there unless he melts down- again. Which is possible. Need some of the freshmen to contribute right away no matter what.

Oh and Foxhall can't "save" guys only to not use them on the weekend. That was complete BS last year. Especially when he's throwing our SS out there.

Cowbell
01-29-2023, 05:32 PM
You may be surprised.

Base, outside of Cade, how do you feel right now about this pitching staff? Love your info.

CaptainObvious
01-29-2023, 07:26 PM
The dead Arapahoes gave us what we had begged for 2 years ago and then bitch-slapped us right back in our place last year by not only letting our hated rivals win it, but win it while we finished dead last in the SEC.

After this 1-7 SEC Basketball start, I ain?t buying into any positive thoughts having to do with a ball that is completely round.

confucius say
01-29-2023, 08:18 PM
We really need Loftin or Loo to be Paul Maholm 2.0 as freshmen where they come in and are top of the weekend rotation caliber as freshmen. We lack an ace. It is what it is. Skenes would have addressed that. We can still be good but we're going to have to be forward thinking to do it. I think we have the talent to do it. Nixon, Dohm, and Holcombe are all mid-upper 90's guys. Tyler Davis has looked good and Pico has increased his velocity. We need all of those guys and we need them to stay healthy. We're going to need them to be 2-3 inning guys right out of the gate. Stinnett needs to step up but he's a head case. I think we should just let him start midweek and leave him there unless he melts down- again. Which is possible. Need some of the freshmen to contribute right away no matter what.

Oh and Foxhall can't "save" guys only to not use them on the weekend. That was complete BS last year. Especially when he's throwing our SS out there.

Im not sure Skenes is an ace in the sec.

Gartman had a better 2022 on the mound than Skenes when you look at their numbers and opponents. Better whip (under 1.0), strikeouts the same, innings the same, era .77 higher, but Gartman faced much better competition.

Skenes didn't pitch against a team all regular season that made the ncaa tourney. Not one. He only pitched against one power 5 team all regular season and was shelled, didn't make it through the 4th inning, and had a era of 11.
Then in the ncaa tourney he was shelled again, didn't make it past the 4th, and era was 9.00.
He didn't pitch against anybody else any good last year. Below are all his appearances.

Iowa - shelled
Navy - 19-26 record
Nevada twice - 29-26 record
Unlv three times - 36-22 record
New Mexico twice - 21-33 record
Fresno state twice - 27-28 record
Cal Baptist - 36-20 record
San Diego State - 18-38 record
San Jose State - 30-29 record
Texas - shelled

basedog
01-29-2023, 08:37 PM
Base, outside of Cade, how do you feel right now about this pitching staff? Love your info.

As we all know injuries last year to our pitching staff killed us. I will add, I also think we didn’t handle the off season very well with all of the celebrations, both players and fans.
Practice is one thing but games are the measuring stick. If our pitchers stay healthy, I think we have a good chance to be pretty good considering all the arms we have. I have my doubts about a couple of guys, but I think we have enough to be in another regional.

I think this team will be better prepared and way more focused. I think we have more in the lineup and we should be good on defense.

The Federalist Engineer
01-29-2023, 08:59 PM
A lot of experts in this thread.

After last season, I got to see it for myself against decent opponents.

Good freshmen and transfers are going to put pressure on veterans. If a dude starts to struggle or shows no developmental growth after 3 or 4 years, you must move on.

Game-1 lineup or first weekend pitching may not last very long. I mean that as a good thing. Means strong competition. 17 SEC wins is my expectation range but there are cats on this team that I have zero faith in.

Cowbell
01-29-2023, 09:20 PM
As we all know injuries last year to our pitching staff killed us. I will add, I also think we didn?t handle the off season very well with all of the celebrations, both players and fans.
Practice is one thing but games are the measuring stick. If our pitchers stay healthy, I think we have a good chance to be pretty good considering all the arms we have. I have my doubts about a couple of guys, but I think we have enough to be in another regional.

I think this team will be better prepared and way more focused. I think we have more in the lineup and we should be good on defense.

Thanks for your insight - much appreciated. Ready for us to get started. Also hope the black bears had a bad offseason like we did last year.

KOdawg1
01-30-2023, 08:37 AM
I think we're gonna mash at the plate, but I do worry if we have the horses on the mound. We don't have a legit ace, and we've still got some guys who haven't pieced it together yet.

But if Mershon ends up beating Lane out (I'll believe it when I see it) we wouldn't really have a weak spot in our lineup. I think we've got less HR or bust type guys too. We should be able to put the ball in play better than we did last year.

Johnson85
01-30-2023, 09:33 AM
Hancock will be in the line-up. Lemonis may have to find ways to get players enough swings if we swing like we can potentially, but I don't see Hancock not in the lineup barring a Josh Hatcher type of collapse. He stabilizes the lineup, doesn't strikeout, will do the things at the plate to move/score runners and gets on base a lot.

If the person that led the team in OBP last year isn't a regular in the lineup this year, that would be a really good sign unless it was because of injury or as you said, a hatcher type collapse.

Cowbell
01-30-2023, 05:25 PM
Apparently Dakota Jordan just went oppo with a rocket over the fence. He may be a problem.

AlSwearengen
01-30-2023, 06:36 PM
Apparently Dakota Jordan just went oppo with a rocket over the fence. He may be a problem.

Logan Tanner was impressed with him when he saw him some in spring. Gautreau said in his interview that he was expecting the physical talent but wasn’t expecting the approach that he showed up to campus with. I’m hoping for another Hunter Hines type freshman.

Cowbell
01-30-2023, 06:40 PM
Logan Tanner was impressed with him when he saw him some in spring. Gautreau said in his interview that he was expecting the physical talent but wasn?t expecting the approach that he showed up to campus with. I?m hoping for another Hunter Hines type freshman.

By all accounts, he is ahead of Hines at the same point so I'm excited

confucius say
01-30-2023, 06:47 PM
His first two at bats Friday he looked naked on breaking pitches. He can make the adjustment though. And will need to bc he won't see much straight.

StarkVegasSteve
01-30-2023, 07:13 PM
His first two at bats Friday he looked naked on breaking pitches. He can make the adjustment though. And will need to bc he won't see much straight.

He'll be like Hines was last year. He'll get off to a blistering start and then teams will start peppering him with junk. He seems a little more patient at the plate than Hunter was at this point last year so we'll see if that continues.

StarkVegasSteve
01-30-2023, 07:21 PM
He also rolls over on more weak ground balls to the 2B than anyone I have ever seen?

Hancock won't have the luxury to slump this year. Highfill is 10x the athlete he is already and if the bat continues to progress he'll be pushing Luke to start on weekends. This Freshman class is one of the best we've had in regards to instant impact guys. Cjintje, Dakota, Highfill, Loftin, Mershon.

confucius say
01-30-2023, 07:36 PM
How did the arms look Saturday and Sunday?

Cowbell
01-30-2023, 08:09 PM
I'm a forsythe guy, but Mershon ain't gonna just rude pine all year. He's legit.

AlSwearengen
01-30-2023, 09:20 PM
I'm a forsythe guy, but Mershon ain't gonna just rude pine all year. He's legit.

In the same Gautreau interview, he said that Mershon would play for a long time, meaning they see him as a possible major leaguer.

Were we expecting Mershon to possibly be as good as he apparently is?

archdog
01-30-2023, 09:31 PM
Because we need someone that bats better than .215 and can get clutch when needed.

Really Clark?
01-30-2023, 09:59 PM
Because we need someone that bats better than .215 and can get clutch when needed.

He hit .273 last year. Was pretty clutch in the CWS

Todd4State
01-30-2023, 10:50 PM
He hit .273 last year. Was pretty clutch in the CWS

That's not bad but at this level it's also kind of the issue. OBP matters but despite what baseball stat nerds say AVG also matters. Someone with an OBP like Hancock needs to hit over .300 to hit higher in the lineup.

Otherwise he has value hitting lower in the lineup. But he needs to do more damage in addition to continuing to get on base.

Cowbell
01-30-2023, 10:55 PM
In the same Gautreau interview, he said that Mershon would play for a long time, meaning they see him as a possible major leaguer.

Were we expecting Mershon to possibly be as good as he apparently is?

I don't think so. Not a SS hitting oppo dingers off good pitching in preseason

Really Clark?
01-30-2023, 11:00 PM
That's not bad but at this level it's also kind of the issue. OBP matters but despite what baseball stat nerds say AVG also matters. Someone with an OBP like Hancock needs to hit over .300 to hit higher in the lineup.

Otherwise he has value hitting lower in the lineup. But he needs to do more damage in addition to continuing to get on base.

The post I responded too was talking about Forsythe, I believe

Todd4State
01-30-2023, 11:02 PM
The post I responded too was talking about Forsythe, I believe

Oh. Thought we were talking about Hancock.

Todd4State
01-30-2023, 11:04 PM
I don't think so. Not a SS hitting oppo dingers off good pitching in preseason

He definitely had some draft interest. Because of his size he was never going to be a high pick so he was perfect for us as a recruit.

Really Clark?
01-30-2023, 11:12 PM
Oh. Thought we were talking about Hancock.

No problem!

The Federalist Engineer
01-31-2023, 12:32 PM

As the Senior Catcher, he can contribute in many non-statistical ways. Settling down pitchers and being influential with Foxhall on proactive pitching changes. Stuff that would be a stretch for a less experienced player. If he can help lower the bullpen ERA from nearly 9 to a typical MSU ERA of 3 to 4, that's already a huge gain. With a non-Chernobyl bullpen, MSU is a lock for Regionals and more.

As a batter, I hope his 4 years in the program give him a new edge. Some think batting 300 is good, I think he could better than that.

Last year, he did lead in OBP, but with an OBP average that would not have lead any other MSU team in the last 10 years. Even in the dead bat seasons, the team had multiple players with +400 OBP. Plus the MSU OBP leader was usually a power guy that hit for average and forced opponents to walk him. The awesome exception to the Power hitters was Adam Frazier, who was near 500 in OBP with a 371 average and he could hit a double into a corner at any moment.

confucius say
01-31-2023, 12:45 PM
Mershon has struggled with the glove some

KOdawg1
01-31-2023, 01:24 PM
Mershon has struggled with the glove some

He's worn the yellow jersey which they give to the best defender for the previous day or something.

I think he's pretty decent, he's just not as good as Forsythe with the glove. It's all about what you're willing to trade.

Do you want a better hitter with more pop and serviceable defense, or a singles hitter with near elite defense?

Have to consider that Mershon has never faced SEC pitching so he could very easily struggle at the plate like Lane will. In which case, Lane then has the upper hand

parabrave
01-31-2023, 01:31 PM
Who is our closer?

KOdawg1
01-31-2023, 01:34 PM
Who is our closer?

Aaron Nixon will probably be given the opportunity but he won't be the only one.

Tripp McNeely
01-31-2023, 02:05 PM
He's worn the yellow jersey which they give to the best defender for the previous day or something.

I think he's pretty decent, he's just not as good as Forsythe with the glove. It's all about what you're willing to trade.

Do you want a better hitter with more pop and serviceable defense, or a singles hitter with near elite defense?

Have to consider that Mershon has never faced SEC pitching so he could very easily struggle at the plate like Lane will. In which case, Lane then has the upper hand

Mershon has been facing SEC pitching all spring and fall. So, I'm sure the coaches have a decent idea of what he's going to do

KOdawg1
01-31-2023, 02:17 PM
So, I'm sure the coaches have a decent idea of what he's going to do

Well yeah, no one has said any different

Homedawg
01-31-2023, 03:25 PM
Aaron Nixon will probably be given the opportunity but he won't be the only one.

I really like Dohm. He's going to help. But agree, Nixon will get the first shot.

smootness
01-31-2023, 04:07 PM

A guy with a high OBP but without a ton of pop is actually great at the top of the lineup. It's not going to help us a ton if he's walking before Forsythe steps up. But if he walks in front of Hines, we're in business.

Todd4State
01-31-2023, 08:38 PM
A guy with a high OBP but without a ton of pop is actually great at the top of the lineup. It's not going to help us a ton if he's walking before Forsythe steps up. But if he walks in front of Hines, we're in business.

We may be saying the same thing but Hancock has some pop.

Thing is we have a guy who can hit for average, has power, can run, and get on base- his name is Colton Ledbetter.

Homedawg
01-31-2023, 11:05 PM
We may be saying the same thing but Hancock has some pop.

Thing is we have a guy who can hit for average, has power, can run, and get on base- his name is Colton Ledbetter.

Hancock is going to start the year somewhere between 2-6. 6 would be low if I had to guess.

Todd4State
01-31-2023, 11:41 PM
Hancock is going to start the year somewhere between 2-6. 6 would be low if I had to guess.

I think he is perfect for the 6th spot in our lineup. After you get through Larry, Ledbetter, Hines, Jordan, Clark, and Alford in whatever order then all of a sudden here comes a guy that can grind out a ten pitch at bat.

Then Down may be in there somewhere as well.

The Federalist Engineer
02-01-2023, 12:42 PM
I think he is perfect for the 6th spot in our lineup. After you get through Larry, Ledbetter, Hines, Jordan, Clark, and Alford in whatever order then all of a sudden here comes a guy that can grind out a ten pitch at bat.

Then Down may be in there somewhere as well.

What we expecting from Aaron Downs this year. He was an elite recruit with hitting as his best tool, seems this is his moment to shine and take-off.

Cowbell
02-01-2023, 12:45 PM
What we expecting from Aaron Downs this year. He was an elite recruit with hitting as his best tool, seems this is his moment to shine and take-off.

He was 0-4 Sunday with 3 strikeouts I believe....

The Federalist Engineer
02-01-2023, 05:03 PM
He was 0-4 Sunday with 3 strikeouts I believe....

Thanks for the inside scoop.

Who did he bat against

HoopsDawg
02-01-2023, 05:44 PM

He has a small lead over Hujsak for DH right now.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-01-2023, 06:40 PM

We need Downs and Alford to both make a jump this year. Now is the time.

The Federalist Engineer
02-01-2023, 09:16 PM
He has a small lead over Hujsak for DH right now.

So the OF is firmly...

Ledbetter, Dakota, Kellum

DH - Downs, Hujsack

Does Highfill factor as DH at this point in time?

Homedawg
02-01-2023, 10:44 PM
So the OF is firmly...

DH - Downs, Hujsack

No. He will be the midweek catcher at times. But not dh. He's super athletic. That's his strength. Elite speed for a catcher. That's his best tool

Homedawg
02-01-2023, 10:45 PM
We need Downs and Alford to both make a jump this year. Now is the time.

We do. I think Alford is a dude.

Johnson85
02-02-2023, 09:44 AM
So the OF is firmly...

DH - Downs, Hujsack

So, we look like:

C - Hancock (w/ Highfill probably getting a good bit of playing time midweek)
1B - Hines
2B - ?
SS - Forsythe
3B - Alford
LF - Hudson
CF Ledbetter,
RF - Kellum

Who am I missing at 2b? Do we have a clear starter there? Are any of the positions listed actually in question on who will be starting at the beginning of the season?

HoopsDawg
02-02-2023, 10:23 AM
So, we look like:

C - Hancock (w/ Highfill probably getting a good bit of playing time midweek)
1B - Hines
2B - ?
SS - Forsythe
3B - Alford
LF - Hudson
CF Ledbetter,
RF - Kellum

Who am I missing at 2b? Do we have a clear starter there? Are any of the positions listed actually in question on who will be starting at the beginning of the season?

Larry has 2B locked down and leadoff hitter. You mean Jordan in LF. Mershon is going to give Forsythe a run at SS. He's hitting really well so far.

Johnson85
02-02-2023, 11:24 AM
Larry has 2B locked down and leadoff hitter. You mean Jordan in LF. Mershon is going to give Forsythe a run at SS. He's hitting really well so far.

Yup. Although I'd take Dakota Hudson back if we could.

Which makes me wonder, is Dakota way more common as a name than I realize? Or have we had pretty good luck with people named dakota? If Jordan ends up being a stud, should we just start offering schollies to any halfway decent prospect named Dakota? Surely we'd be the only school with 3 Dakotas in the pros if Jordan makes it?

Cooterpoot
02-02-2023, 11:46 AM

Which makes me wonder, is Dakota way more common as a name than I realize? Or have we had pretty good luck with people named dakota? If Jordan ends up being a stud, should we just start offering schollies to any halfway decent prospect named Dakota? Surely we'd be the only school with 3 Dakotas in the pros if Jordan makes it?

As long as we don't see much of Dakota Fanning

BeardoMSU
02-02-2023, 11:55 AM
As long as we don't see much of Dakota Fanning

This would make a great walk-out song.***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35eLZTepTw0&ab_channel=dontletthatmanonmyship

WSOPdawg
02-02-2023, 06:52 PM
So the OF is firmly...

DH - Downs, Hujsack

Man oh man, Ledbetter and Dakota will make our OF defense superb. Having 2 guys capable of playing CF roaming out there will be awesome.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-02-2023, 07:54 PM

Crap, if North Dakota comes to a Dudy Noble Regional as a 4-seed, we will get swept.

BrunswickDawg
02-03-2023, 04:43 PM

Yeah, I'd say Larry has it locked

https://twitter.com/hailstatebb/status/1621554608165507072?s=46&t=biGS0PCsQP2eH3yJqIHfSg

KOdawg1
02-04-2023, 12:12 AM
Parker Stinnett had 7 walks in the scrimmage today.

The maroon team had a combined 13 walks in 7 innings. The black team had 5.

I hope we can hit.

Todd4State
02-04-2023, 02:52 AM

I hope we can hit.

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh

I seriously honestly would just cut Stinnett if I was Lemonis. It ain't gonna happen.

The problem is we all KNOW he is going to get too many opportunities to fail. And he will.

I was really surprised when we brought him back.

Pancho
02-04-2023, 07:46 AM
anyone going to the scrimmage today or tomorrow?

AlSwearengen
02-04-2023, 08:06 AM
Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh

I seriously honestly would just cut Stinnett if I was Lemonis. It ain't gonna happen.

The problem is we all KNOW he is going to get too many opportunities to fail. And he will.

100%.

BeardoMSU
02-04-2023, 10:32 AM
Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh

What is the baseball equivalent of this, lol? Gotta be a way to break through mentally...

https://youtu.be/kNtsw9NQRFU

Todd4State
02-04-2023, 11:12 AM
What is the baseball equivalent of this, lol? Gotta be a way to break through mentally...

https://youtu.be/kNtsw9NQRFU

Steve Blass disease. Although to have Steve Blass disease you have to be able to have had some actual success and command at some point.

So not sure this qualifies.

Mentally he just can't perform when the lights come on. Most people can't.

Saltydog
02-04-2023, 12:37 PM
Steve Blass disease. Although to have Steve Blass disease you have to be able to have had some actual success and command at some point.

So not sure this qualifies.

Mentally he just can't perform when the lights come on. Most people can't.

Yep, it happens........Mark Wohlers for the Braves in the late 90's did the same thing...........Rick Ankiel with the cardinals too.........

msstate7
02-04-2023, 12:52 PM

I hope we can hit.

I really hope we told the ump to have a matchbox size zone or Parker pitched 21 innings lol

MoreCowbell
02-04-2023, 04:05 PM

Forsythe has an A+ glove at most important defensive position. Unless other dude is like a Gridley you leave Forsythe.

Cowbell
02-04-2023, 04:06 PM
I really hope we told the ump to have a matchbox size zone or Parker pitched 21 innings lol

I'm already having nightmares about bad umps this season now that you bring up the tight zone

Cowbell
02-04-2023, 04:07 PM
Forsythe has an A+ glove at most important defensive position. Unless other dude is Westburg esque you leave Forsythe.

I think it's going to depend on the situation.

MoreCowbell
02-04-2023, 04:12 PM
I think it's going to depend on the situation.

Gotta be honest I have a soft spot for Forsythe. Dude could not hit a beach and he never let it affect his game. We do not win NC without him. He was such a big piece of that, made every play he needed to. As a true freshman, ice water in his veins.

Saltydog
02-04-2023, 04:32 PM
Gotta be honest I have a soft spot for Forsythe. Dude could not hit a beach and he never let it affect his game. We do not win NC without him. He was such a big piece of that, made every play he needed to. As a true freshman, ice water in his veins.

Agreed........I understand the slugging % is low but he did hit .273 last year too and I don't think some posters realize that.........

Schultzy
02-04-2023, 04:47 PM
Forsythe has an A+ glove at most important defensive position. Unless other dude is like a Gridley you leave Forsythe.

I want to say in SEC games only, Forsythe led the team in batting average last year.

Cowbell
02-04-2023, 05:07 PM

That's exactly the way I feel. He flat got it together and was perfect in the field in post-season

The Federalist Engineer
02-04-2023, 06:25 PM
I want to say in SEC games only, Forsythe led the team in batting average last year.

By damn, Forsythe was the highest SEC batting average and tied with highest On-Base % for the Returning players.

MSU SEC Game Only Stats

Batting Average Leaders
323 - RJ Yeager
304 - Cumbest
286 - Tanner
284 - Forsythe (Only 64 ABs, but still the highest SEC Batting Average among returning players)
276 - Hancock
270 - Hines
260 - K James
241 - K Clark
200 - Alford

On Base Leaders
429 Skinner (14 ABs)
390 Tanner
372 Hancock
372 Forsythe (64 ABs)
368 Seibert
359 Yeager

BeardoMSU
02-04-2023, 06:36 PM
By damn, Forsythe was the highest SEC batting average and tied with highest On-Base % for the Returning players.

MSU SEC Game Only Stats

Batting Average Leaders
323 - RJ Yeager
304 - Cumbest
286 - Tanner
284 - Forsythe (Only 64 ABs, but still the highest SEC Batting Average among returning players)
276 - Hancock
270 - Hines
260 - K James
241 - K Clark
200 - Alford

On Base Leaders
429 Skinner (14 ABs)
390 Tanner
372 Hancock
372 Forsythe (64 ABs)
368 Seibert
359 Yeager

Wow. Good stats pull, dude. Thanks.

The Federalist Engineer
02-04-2023, 06:46 PM

I hope we can hit.

If this is the best we can do for Sunday, then somebody better start working on great cheater bats. Gonna need 15 runs on Sunday.

Seriously, go steal the Tim Elko bats. He looked like he was hitting tennis balls last year. Even tomahawking HRs like you could with the 1994 aluminum bats.

Cowbell
02-04-2023, 07:13 PM
If this is the best we can do for Sunday, then somebody better start working on great cheater bats. Gonna need 15 runs on Sunday.

Seriously, go steal the Tim Elko bats. He looked like he was hitting tennis balls last year. Even tomahawking HRs like you could with the 1994 aluminum bats.

Paging (DBag) Tony Vitello

trob115
02-04-2023, 07:15 PM
I didn't watch the scrimmage today, but early morning Bp had balls clearing the lounge all over. Mershon is going to push for playing time.

KOdawg1
02-04-2023, 07:20 PM

Not if he hits .220

Forsythe is gonna hit to keep Mershon off the field

Schultzy
02-04-2023, 08:37 PM

MSU SEC Game Only Stats

Batting Average Leaders
323 - RJ Yeager
304 - Cumbest
286 - Tanner
276 - Hancock
270 - Hines
260 - K James
241 - K Clark
200 - Alford

On Base Leaders
429 Skinner (14 ABs)
390 Tanner
372 Hancock
372 Forsythe (64 ABs)
368 Seibert
359 Yeager

Thank you, Federalist, for finding that even though I was only half right.

I think it does show he is better at the plate than the general perception.

The Federalist Engineer
02-05-2023, 12:12 AM
in 2022, Connor Hujsak vs Regional, Ranked, Omaha, ACC, and SEC opponents (13 games)

He had 51 at bats

Hit 325 with 7 HRs and 14 RBIs

with 10 Ks and 7 BB

He was the starting SS at VCU, for MSU he would just DH or play OF. Should be much less pressure to just rake as a hitter. Before the two Choke games that VCU lost to UNC in regional, he was hitting 418 vs the top schools.

As a SS his fielding was 909, basically like Kam James. (Kam was 891 in fielding)