PDA

View Full Version : Brian Kelly salary overpayment

EdwardDrayton
01-26-2023, 06:33 PM
So LSU discovers they accidentally overpaid Kelly $1 million in 2022. Wasn't surfaced by Kelly or his folks mind you but from an audit.

Thinking it's kinda' hard to miss an extra mil in your accounts?

parabrave
01-26-2023, 06:36 PM
So LSU discovers they accidentally overpaid Kelly $1 million in 2022. Wasn't surfaced by Kelly or his folks mind you but from an audit.

Well Kelly didn't know the FBI is doing the auditing there now.

RocketDawg
01-26-2023, 07:01 PM

When you make a million a month you might not notice. Probably doesn't have to worry about overdrafts.

EdwardDrayton
01-26-2023, 07:12 PM
When you make a million a month you might not notice. Probably doesn't have to worry about overdrafts.

It's possible I guess but I'm a little skeptical. We've picked up overpayments before --- not on that absolute dollar scale of course --- but on a similar percentage scale and notified the bank before their folks even caught it.

Extendedcab
01-26-2023, 07:16 PM
My initial thought was it was intentional by the university so he could use it to sway hesitant athletes - extra unaccounted for money! :mad:

RocketDawg
01-26-2023, 07:24 PM
It's possible I guess but I'm a little skeptical. We've picked up overpayments before --- not on that absolute dollar scale of course --- but on a similar percentage scale and notified the bank before their folks even caught it.

You'd think the University would have noticed without an audit. I was being a little facetious, but really, when you're in that salary range you might be pretty much be oblivious to deposits. I certainly wouldn't know from experience. People have gotten in trouble before for not reporting and using erroneous deposits, however.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-26-2023, 08:23 PM
If my paycheck was 50 cents high or low I would notice. It’s called tending to your business.

Cowbell
01-26-2023, 08:27 PM
If my paycheck was 50 cents high or low I would notice. It?s called tending to your business.

Exactly. There is something off here.

Commercecomet24
01-26-2023, 08:50 PM
If my paycheck was 50 cents high or low I would notice. It’s called tending to your business.

Same here. Something fishy about this. Of course you're talking about lsu here so doing crooked things don't even count as wrong-doing down there.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-26-2023, 09:15 PM
If somebody overpaid an employee by $1 million, I would hope somebody got fired quickly.

Todd4State
01-27-2023, 12:42 AM
My initial thought was it was intentional by the university so he could use it to sway hesitant athletes - extra unaccounted for money! :mad:

But why would LSU want to go through him to do that? That's unnecessary.

Just do it through the LSU version of Charlie Winfield.

Todd4State
01-27-2023, 12:46 AM
Same here. Something fishy about this. Of course you're talking about lsu here so doing crooked things don't even count as wrong-doing down there.

My thought is maybe he has a mistress that they want to keep happy and quiet.

Giving the money to Kelly would make sense then because if they are audited then whoever is doing the audit is going to be like "Hey, why did you give 1 million dollars to this Mrs Boudreau? What's her job title at LSU?"

I bet they just say it was an error or that it was a bonus.

Schultzy
01-27-2023, 03:23 AM
I was overpaid one pay cycle and called accounting to see if I had gotten a raise, they were like oh shit! No you didn’t but Thanks, just keep it with the knowledge that your next direct deposit will be almost nothing.

I always wondered if they would’ve ever caught it. But I know for a fact they had to review the whole company’s payroll that cycle to make sure I was the only one.

My wife had to talk me into calling them about it bc I was considering playing dumb. They say they would’ve eventually caught it but I’m not so sure.

TUSK
01-27-2023, 06:36 AM
I was overpaid one pay cycle and called accounting to see if I had gotten a raise, they were like oh shit! No you didn’t but Thanks, just keep it with the knowledge that your next direct deposit will be almost nothing.

I always wondered if they would’ve ever caught it. But I know for a fact they had to review the whole company’s payroll that cycle to make sure I was the only one.

My wife had to talk me into calling them about it bc I was considering playing dumb. They say they would’ve eventually caught it but I’m not so sure.

Considering?

Maverick91
01-27-2023, 10:02 AM
Its always the rich that get an erroneous over payment. Waiting for that call.

Extendedcab
01-27-2023, 10:46 AM

I thought it would be yet even another way they could get recruits money outside the normal channels. If you're crooked, you think of different ways to cheat the system. I just saw this as another back channel - another way to cheat.

DownwardDawg
01-27-2023, 11:24 AM

If I was making $1 million/month and ended up with an extra million, I would never know it. After the first few months I would be good and have funds setup to transfer to certain accounts. Some of those I would check seldom. I could see this happening to a rich person.

Maverick91
01-27-2023, 11:38 AM
I thought it would be yet even another way they could get recruits money outside the normal channels. If you're crooked, you think of different ways to cheat the system. I just saw this as another back channel - another way to cheat.

So you are saying you are crooked ?

Johnson85
01-27-2023, 12:32 PM

I've worked with people that have their pay routed directly to a private banker. Banker then drops a set amount in their checking account and directs the leftovers to different investments pursuant to an agreed upon plan.

It wouldn't shock me at all if Kelly had that arrangement and nobody notified him he was getting extra. Especially if it was $1M spread out over a year rather than one, $1M payment.

Commercecomet24
01-27-2023, 01:24 PM
If I was making $1 million/month and ended up with an extra million, I would never know it. After the first few months I would be good and have funds setup to transfer to certain accounts. Some of those I would check seldom. I could see this happening to a rich person.

Maybe, but the wealthy people I know track almost every single penny. It's the reason they're wealthy is because they know where their funds are coming from and where they're going. I'm not buying he didn't know and even if he didn't someone at lsu should've caught it. Naw there's something fishy going on I mean it is lsu lol!

Hot Rock
01-27-2023, 02:21 PM
I had a friend at work that had his retirement income figured incorrectly and they wanted it back after a year. It was discovered when someone else retired and they figure his wrong as well. That guy knew his business and corrected them. They went back to check and found this other guy's was figured incorrectly as well.

He was working for a company that was bought out. The employees were given a lump sum for that time served for retirement. The new company was not supposed to honor those years served. When they figured his retirement, they gave him credit for those years. They ending up in a lawsuit because he would not have retired. They ended settling out of court. He was able to keep the extra money for that year but his retirement was reduced from that point forward.

SilentSteel16
01-27-2023, 02:37 PM
To be fair, I highly doubt any college football coach checks their check stubs ever. I wish I could go a week without balancing my stuff and just know I am good to buy whatever without worrying about next month. Could you imagine that luxury??

Extendedcab
01-27-2023, 02:45 PM
So you are saying you are crooked ?

Ha ha, Funny no! Crooks are always looking for new ways to steal, lie, cheat or whatever! Just read the news articles about crooks and it is amazing at the inventive, note I am not saying smart, ways to cheat!

BoomBoom
01-27-2023, 03:02 PM

Could be that between his contract and what LSU pays him, what the private association pays him, etc, that an accountant at LSU got confused and included a clause as something LSU pays when it should be coming from the private foundation.

confucius say
01-27-2023, 03:42 PM

The extra million was paid to an LLC. Not to Kelly directly. Fwiw

Commercecomet24
01-27-2023, 04:19 PM
Anytime lsu and money are involved it's not an honest mistake. There's something else to this, now will we ever know? Lol no.

EdwardDrayton
01-27-2023, 04:27 PM
I've worked with people that have their pay routed directly to a private banker. Banker then drops a set amount in their checking account and directs the leftovers to different investments pursuant to an agreed upon plan.

It wouldn't shock me at all if Kelly had that arrangement and nobody notified him he was getting extra. Especially if it was $1M spread out over a year rather than one, $1M payment.

I would never do this. That much money corrupts even the most virtuous folks, especially with little to no internal controls. I would watch my money like a hawk.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-27-2023, 04:39 PM

As the employee, you would still get some type of paystub. And Kelly should look at his paystub if he has a brain. I operate a business (I don't own it) worth over $100 million. I assure you I would notice a $1 million issue in the business. Heck, we had an issue two weeks ago, where something was off by $28. We found the $28.

Maverick91
01-27-2023, 10:43 PM
Ha ha, Funny no! Crooks are always looking for new ways to steal, lie, cheat or whatever! Just read the news articles about crooks and it is amazing at the inventive, note I am not saying smart, ways to cheat!

The saddest part is they are getting away with it more and more.

EdwardDrayton
01-28-2023, 02:47 AM
The extra million was paid to an LLC. Not to Kelly directly. Fwiw

Actually it was paid to the LLC and the coach directly.

bobtail bob
01-28-2023, 09:09 AM
Just further affirmation that even when the just and moral way is easy the coonass wants nothing to do with it if he can’t cheat then try to rub your face in it.

RocketDawg
01-28-2023, 03:20 PM
My thought is maybe he has a mistress that they want to keep happy and quiet.

Giving the money to Kelly would make sense then because if they are audited then whoever is doing the audit is going to be like "Hey, why did you give 1 million dollars to this Mrs Boudreau? What's her job title at LSU?"

I bet they just say it was an error or that it was a bonus.

It's hard to imagine Brian Kelley having a mistress (but I guess Orgeron did).

EdwardDrayton
01-28-2023, 08:29 PM
It's hard to imagine Brian Kelley having a mistress (but I guess Orgeron did).

Money has a way of hypnotizing some women into seeing only 'inner beauty'.