PDA

View Full Version : Roberson, wr transfer in

TheLostDawg
01-22-2023, 03:38 PM
https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Eastern-Washington-receiver-Freddie-Roberson-Mississippi-State-203471463/

TheLostDawg
01-22-2023, 03:42 PM
6'2 195

On the offense
"Coach Barbay - versatile offense to fit his talent and that he may run some pro style sets or RPOs and he wants to take some deep shots"

TNDawg35
01-22-2023, 03:42 PM
Mike Wright just committed also…

PikeDawg15
01-22-2023, 03:43 PM
I?ve been reading about him for a few months now.

It?s hard to get super excited for a transfer from Eastern Washington but he does have a lot of experience playing college football and can be a deep threat for us in this new offense.

msudawglb
01-22-2023, 03:43 PM
Hung out with DJ. Huh

KB21
01-22-2023, 03:48 PM
Pro style sets, huh? But I was told on here that he doesn?t run a pro style offense.

PikeDawg15
01-22-2023, 03:49 PM
Pro style sets, huh? But I was told on here that he doesn?t run a pro style offense.

? hey may run some? doesn?t equate to having a pro style offense.

RezDog7
01-22-2023, 03:50 PM

Any style is better than 4 5 yard curl routes over and over and over.

KB21
01-22-2023, 03:51 PM
? hey may run some? doesn?t equate to having a pro style offense.

Keep trying to convince yourself of that.

StarkVegasSteve
01-22-2023, 03:54 PM
I am not exactly thrilled about Barbay, but we are not running the damn West Coast. He still bases everything out of gun/pistol and is not afraid to throw it 50+ times (see Troy game this year). We are still going to average between 30-35 passes a game.

PikeDawg15
01-22-2023, 03:55 PM
Keep trying to convince yourself of that.

https://youtu.be/iXlUMJf5wh0

Totally a pro style offense.

Rayburn8
01-22-2023, 03:57 PM

You realize a modern pro style offense isn?t the freaking I formation anymore right?

It?s basically all shotgun with a little under center. Basically what KC runs.

The modern pro style offense is a shotgun based pass first offense.

You are acting like it?s 2003 and misusing words to create confusion and advance your Bs point.

PikeDawg15
01-22-2023, 03:57 PM
I?m absolutely thrilled about Mike Wright btw.

He has a cannon arm and he?s fast as shit. He?s going to be around much better talent than at vandy and if he can work on his accuracy and feed work inside the pocket he can be amazing.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2023, 04:00 PM
You realize a modern pro style offense isn?t the freaking I formation anymore right?

You are acting like it?s 2003 and misusing words to create confusion and advance your Bs point.

He's arguing just to argue at this point.

KB21
01-22-2023, 04:00 PM

I realize that a pro style run first offense is going to be very difficult to run in the SEC with middle tier talent.

KB21
01-22-2023, 04:01 PM
I?m absolutely thrilled about Mike Wright btw.

He has a cannon arm and he?s fast as shit. He?s going to be around much better talent than at vandy and if he can work on his accuracy and feed work inside the pocket he can be amazing.

An inaccurate QB that can run. Awesome!!

Coursesuper
01-22-2023, 04:04 PM

Yep, and his shtick is tiresome. Dragging nearly every thread shit.

PikeDawg15
01-22-2023, 04:05 PM
An inaccurate QB that can run. Awesome!!

Or a quarterback with the athleticism of a 55 year old man with a noodle arm who stat pads against bad teams.

KB21
01-22-2023, 04:07 PM
Or a quarterback with the athleticism of a 55 year old man with a noodle arm who stat pads against bad teams.

Well, when you don?t want to throw the ball, Wright is a good choice at QB.

Leroy Jenkins
01-22-2023, 04:07 PM

Exactly. NFL offense today looks like college did 10 years ago.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2023, 04:10 PM
Yep, and his shtick is tiresome. Dragging nearly every thread shit.

Yep, 100%.

DownwardDawg
01-22-2023, 04:17 PM

Come on man!!! Stop being a douche about our State football team. I guess you missed the first damn part....."versatile offense to fit his talent"

Really Clark?
01-22-2023, 04:19 PM
I realize that a pro style run first offense is going to be very difficult to run in the SEC with middle tier talent.

Well it's good that Barbay will throw it more than run when that's the way to win and has stated he likes to throw it more than he was allowed last year.

Really Clark?
01-22-2023, 04:21 PM
Well, when you don?t want to throw the ball, Wright is a good choice at QB.

https://media.tenor.com/4Ll5Ke6WN6oAAAAd/wow-stupidity.gif

PCHSDawg
01-22-2023, 04:22 PM
KB21 , ignored on two boards.

RisperDawg
Come on man!!! Stop being a douche about our State football team. I guess you missed the first damn part....."versatile offense to fit his talent"

Y'all keep engaging. Smh

Leroy Jenkins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruDh7suDhyA

I dont know how much he makes it into the rotation, but he runs really hard (extremely hard for a WR). First guy almost never get him on the ground.

Commercecomet24

Of course the only thing he saw in all of that was "pro sets".

DownwardDawg
01-22-2023, 04:26 PM
Y'all keep engaging. Smh

Nice reply. Thanks for the help.

RisperDawg
01-22-2023, 04:28 PM
Nice reply. Thanks for the help.

No problem man. It's been days, yet it keeps going. I gave up on anyone having an epiphany. Lol.

yjnkdawg
01-22-2023, 06:22 PM

Agree. He wants attention. Plan and simple.

smootness
01-22-2023, 08:21 PM

Give me 5 NFL teams who are run-first.

KB21
01-22-2023, 08:25 PM
Give me 5 NFL teams who are run-first.

Bears, Falcons, Titans, Panthers, and Ravens.

Leroy Jenkins
01-22-2023, 08:27 PM
I don't give a monkey's nutsack what we run; Air Raid, Panty Raid, Lemonade, whatever. I like whatever offense scores points.

smootness
01-22-2023, 08:27 PM

Titans and Panthers both threw more than they ran, even with trash at QB. And Baltimore was right at 50/50 with a QB who is almost entirely just a run threat.

KB21
01-22-2023, 08:28 PM
It?s also well known that college teams that run a pro style offense focus on the running game unless you are one of the blue bloods.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2023, 08:31 PM
I don't give a monkey's nutsack what we run; Air Raid, Panty Raid, Lemonade, whatever. I like whatever offense scores points.

This is the only perspective that matters.

KB21
01-22-2023, 08:31 PM
Titans and Panthers both threw more than they ran, even with trash at QB. And Baltimore was right at 50/50 with a QB who is almost entirely just a run threat.

No. They didn?t. Titans had 453 pass attempts and 487 rush attempts. Panthers had 457 pass attempts and 483 rush attempts.

smootness
01-22-2023, 08:34 PM
It?s also well known that college teams that run a pro style offense focus on the running game unless you are one of the blue bloods.

Maybe 10-20 years ago. That’s not what pro-style means anymore. No one uses it that way because that’s no longer what pro teams are. Teams like the Bears are now almost a complete anomaly. And even those teams are not getting under center and ‘pounding the rock’ like teams used to do. Those offenses don’t really exist.

smootness
01-22-2023, 08:35 PM
No. They didn?t. Titans had 453 pass attempts and 487 rush attempts. Panthers had 457 pass attempts and 483 rush attempts.

Sacks are passing plays.

Tripp McNeely
01-22-2023, 09:09 PM

Cowboys, 9ers

smootness
01-22-2023, 10:00 PM
Cowboys, 9ers

Nope, even they throw more than they run.

yjnkdawg
01-22-2023, 10:05 PM
Wow! I kinda forgot the intent of this thread with all these pro stuff offense posts. Seem to be in every thread.. :rolleyes: . But getting back to the intent of the thread, I think Roberson is a good get and will help us in our passing game (Oh I forgot we won't be throwing any passes so never mind****)

Commercecomet24
01-22-2023, 10:15 PM
Wow! I kinda forgot the intent of this thread with all these pro stuff offense posts. Seem to be in every thread.. :rolleyes: . But getting back to the intent of the thread, I think Roberson is a good get and will help us in our passing game (Oh I forgot we won't be throwing any passes so never mind****)

The wishbones coming,lol!

yjnkdawg
01-22-2023, 10:21 PM
The wishbones coming,lol!

Yep CC and now we have to recruit a couple of good fullbacks and a triple option quarterback in the portal. All of this rebuild and completely changing our offensive philosophy is giving me a headache. lol :D

Commercecomet24
01-22-2023, 10:23 PM
Yep CC and now we have to recruit a couple of good fullback and a triple option quarterback in the portal. All of this rebuild and completely changing our offensive philosophy is giving me a headache. lol :D

There's gotta be a few Bellard disciples left out there lol!

KB21
01-22-2023, 10:23 PM
Well, they did just recruit a quarterback that can run but can?t throw.

yjnkdawg
01-22-2023, 10:30 PM

Yeah but you would think Barbay would have a triple option quarterback in mind since he doesn't care about passing the ball at all. Maybe we can get one of the military quarterbacks to transfer. lol

Commercecomet24
01-22-2023, 10:49 PM
Yeah but you would think Barbay would have a triple option quarterback in mind since he doesn't care about passing the ball at all. Maybe we can get one of the military quarterbacks to transfer. lol

Yes with Ken Nuimatalolo being let go at navy there oughta be a couple we could snag from them!

yjnkdawg
01-22-2023, 10:51 PM
Yes with Ken Nuimatalolo being let go at navy there oughta be a couple we could snag from them!

Sounds like a plan. :D

Commercecomet24
01-22-2023, 11:03 PM
Sounds like a plan. :D

Yep if the wishbone is done right it's unstoppable!

parabrave
01-23-2023, 02:31 AM

Calling JB. And Fred Collins still looks like he can play.

Dawgface
01-23-2023, 06:38 AM
6-3 over #1 AL. Hell yeah!

oildawg
01-23-2023, 07:50 AM
Cooper Kupp went to EWU.

smootness
01-23-2023, 08:32 AM
Well, they did just recruit a quarterback that can run but can?t throw.

The dude who can't throw averaged more yards per attempt and had a passer rating only 5 points behind our Air Raid QB.

Rayburn8
01-23-2023, 09:19 AM
Sacks are passing plays.

Now now smoothness, don?t come in here with your logic and your nuance and your critical thinking.

That?s all too hard and I?d rather yell sky is bad.

/s.

PMDawg
01-23-2023, 09:34 AM

No you weren't.

You were told he doesn't run a purely pro-style offense, which he doesn't. Frankly, most of us don't care what he runs, as long as it scores points.

Ari Gold
01-23-2023, 09:37 AM
Same shit different day ... Kb21 won?t be around much longer.. put that in your pro style pipe and smoke it

SPDawgs
01-23-2023, 09:43 AM
You can for sure say that the level that he played against week to week is no where near SEC levels. However, when you look at the games he throughout his career including this year against Oregon and Florida his production didn't drop. End of the day this guy had 2,242 career receiving yards and that is very good for any level.

HancockCountyDog
01-23-2023, 11:09 AM
Once again, this idiot doesn't allow a reasonable discussion or concern about what the transfer said. When I read the article, I was a little concern about the pro style comment, and I think it is reasonable to be a little concerned about what appears to be a pretty big shift away from the air raid.

Of course, KB21 makes it appear that we are about to run student body right/left from the USC days so you can't have a discussion about it.

Todd4State
01-23-2023, 11:52 PM

I like Bellard. I think it's pretty cool we had the guy that invented the Wishbone and the guy that popularized the Air Raid as our coaches. Unfortunately we had Croom instead of Bill Walsh running our West Coast Offense.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2023, 12:24 AM
I like Bellard. I think it's pretty cool we had the guy that invented the Wishbone and the guy that popularized the Air Raid as our coaches. Unfortunately we had Croom instead of Bill Walsh running our West Coast Offense.

I loved both Emory and Leach. Yeah croom was no Bill Walsh lol!

Todd4State
01-24-2023, 12:36 AM
I loved both Emory and Leach. Yeah croom was no Bill Walsh lol!

Not even close!

Walsh was so good. Leach and Mumme met with him to get some ideas on how to run their offense and program.

msu15
01-24-2023, 01:58 AM

Croom invented the prevent offense lol

Bubb Rubb
01-24-2023, 10:10 AM

Maybe you should go listen to his interview with Bart and Charlie where he actually says himself that he doesn't run a pro style offense. That he doesn't run "Jim McElwain's offense."

You are going to die on this stupid hill, apparently.

KB21
01-24-2023, 10:42 AM
Maybe you should go listen to his interview with Bart and Charlie where he actually says himself that he doesn't run a pro style offense. That he doesn't run "Jim McElwain's offense."

You are going to die on this stupid hill, apparently.

Well, I'm right. He absolutely does run a pro style offense, and it is exactly what Jim McElwain runs. He can give you the typical coach speak about "adjusting to the talent he has" and how it's "a combination of systems" when he is clearly a run oriented pro style coach. Look at the style of offense his self proclaimed mentors run: Greg Davis - Pro Style, Jim McElwain - Pro Style.

Let's also ignore the offensive back grounds of the other assistants hired. Will Friend - Pro Style. Mike Schmidt - Pro Style. Chad Bumphis - Pro Style.

Bubb Rubb
01-24-2023, 10:52 AM
Well, I'm right. He absolutely does run a pro style offense, and it is exactly what Jim McElwain runs. He can give you the typical coach speak about "adjusting to the talent he has" and how it's "a combination of systems" when he is clearly a run oriented pro style coach. Look at the style of offense his self proclaimed mentors run: Greg Davis - Pro Style, Jim McElwain - Pro Style.

Let's also ignore the offensive back grounds of the other assistants hired. Will Friend - Pro Style. Mike Schmidt - Pro Style. Chad Bumphis - Pro Style.

The only thing clear here is that you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Really Clark?
01-24-2023, 11:21 AM

https://media.tenor.com/_1scil98UscAAAAC/shit.gif

CoachT14
01-24-2023, 11:31 AM

Syracuse ran a pro style last year? Interesting. Had no idea that Dino Babers (veer and shoot) and Robert Anae (Air Raid) actually ran a pro style offense. But all knowing KB is on the job to let us know what to think about it.

Also had no idea that Tyson Helton (Air Raid) who mentored your favorite coach in the world Bryan Ellis was also Pro Style, whom Friend worked with as well.

Sure Ludwig is a "pro-style" spread guy, but he's also had back to back top 20 scoring offenses and a top 50 and to 35 scoring offenses since being at Utah.

All the while you wanted to hire Matt Mumme and Bryan Ellis who orchestrated some of the worst scoring offenses in D1 football the last few years.

Let me go ahead and get it out of the way for you, I'm just a Leach hater.

smootness
01-24-2023, 11:34 AM

When was he around Greg Davis?

Bubb Rubb
01-24-2023, 11:47 AM
When was he around Greg Davis?

He was never "around" him. He said he picked up some of his early philosophies from watching Davis's offenses at Texas.

It's funny to me how KB will latch onto some detail like that from a Barbay story to support his stupid claim that Barbay's "pro style" but will completely ignore other details that clearly show he is not married to one style. It's almost like he's being selective in what he wants to believe from Barbay to support a stupid narrative that has no basis in reality.

Almost.

KB21
01-24-2023, 11:48 AM
Syracuse ran a pro style last year? Interesting. Had no idea that Dino Babers (veer and shoot) and Robert Anae (Air Raid) actually ran a pro style offense. But all knowing KB is on the job to let us know what to think about it.

Also had no idea that Tyson Helton (Air Raid) who mentored your favorite coach in the world Bryan Ellis was also Pro Style, whom Friend worked with as well.

Sure Ludwig is a "pro-style" spread guy, but he's also had back to back top 20 scoring offenses and a top 50 and to 35 scoring offenses since being at Utah.

All the while you wanted to hire Matt Mumme and Bryan Ellis who orchestrated some of the worst scoring offenses in D1 football the last few years.

Let me go ahead and get it out of the way for you, I'm just a Leach hater.

What type of offense did San Diego State run the 10 years Schmidt was the OL coach there? Yes, it was a pro style offense. Two years in Babers's offense does not offset the 10 years he spent in SDSU's pro style system.

Also, Tyson Helton was pro style prior to 2021. He got smart and changed from pro style to air raid in 2021 when he hired Zach Kittley. WKU's poor numbers in 2019 and 2020 were in a pro style system. Their numbers took off when they changed to Air Raid. Helton ran the pro style at Tennessee in 2018, which is where he and Will Friend coached together.

Will Friend has spent the majority of his career in Mike Bobo's pro style system.

Really Clark?
01-24-2023, 12:55 PM
What type of offense did San Diego State run the 10 years Schmidt was the OL coach there? Yes, it was a pro style offense. Two years in Babers's offense does not offset the 10 years he spent in SDSU's pro style system.

Also, Tyson Helton was pro style prior to 2021. He got smart and changed from pro style to air raid in 2021 when he hired Zach Kittley. WKU's poor numbers in 2019 and 2020 were in a pro style system. Their numbers took off when they changed to Air Raid. Helton ran the pro style at Tennessee in 2018, which is where he and Will Friend coached together.

Will Friend has spent the majority of his career in Mike Bobo's pro style system.

https://media.tenor.com/dcwgOEYB-_8AAAAC/puppets-disaster.gif