PDA

View Full Version : Briles narrative

Cowbell
01-21-2023, 05:43 PM
Some interesting information coming out of Fayetteville now that the smoke has cleared. Apparently Sexton overplayed his hand and Briles was stuck with having to take the TCU job. They used the TCU offer to get more money a second time and Pittman told sexton to hit the road.

bulldawg28
01-21-2023, 05:54 PM
As he should have. Briles and Pittman both have the same agent. I really believe Pittman wanted Briles gone and set the request for an additional raise to the forefront. There's no way the agent didn't know how Pittman felt and didn't advise him.

MetEdDawg
01-21-2023, 06:04 PM
I guess I would be ok being stuck at the school that just played in the national title game.

And for those that think it was a flash in the pan, they have 8 transfers coming in, 5 of which are from the SEC. Two of those were 5 stars out of high school and the other 3 were 4 stars.

TCU is a good job and possibly the premiere team in the Big 12 once Oklahoma and Texas bail.

Leroy Jenkins
01-21-2023, 07:19 PM
Yeah the rumor was the Briles told Pittman that TCU offered X and asked if Arkansas wanted to match the offer. Pittman just said no thanks.

viverlibre
01-21-2023, 07:43 PM
I guess I would be ok being stuck at the school that just played in the national title game.

And for those that think it was a flash in the pan, they have 8 transfers coming in, 5 of which are from the SEC. Two of those were 5 stars out of high school and the other 3 were 4 stars.

TCU is a good job and possibly the premiere team in the Big 12 once Oklahoma and Texas bail.

TCU's run was a flash in the pan with a lot of stuff falling just right. TCU would struggle with State and Ole Miss and at best be a 8-4 in the SEC. If TCU/Michigan played 10 times, Meatchicken wins 9, that win was a fluke. They may run the Big 12 in years to come just due to the lack of competition, but won't be a player on the national stage.

PGHBulldogBG
01-21-2023, 07:51 PM
TCU's run was a flash in the pan with a lot of stuff falling just right. TCU would struggle with State and Ole Miss and at best be a 8-4 in the SEC. If TCU/Michigan played 10 times, Meatchicken wins 9, that win was a fluke. They may run the Big 12 in years to come just due to the lack of competition, but won't be a player on the national stage.

I was on board until the Michigan statement. Michigan won a very weak big 10 and would also be 8-4 in SEC along with TCU and State. That wasn’t a fluke because the Illinois team we beat went to Ann Arbor and almost won. Illinois would have beat Michigan in the big 10 champ game but they had a bad loss that got Purdue into that game

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2023, 08:04 PM
Didn't Arkansas hire Dan Enos? I think Id take Briles over him all day.

Really Clark?
01-21-2023, 08:06 PM
Didn't Arkansas hire Dan Enos? I think Id take Briles over him all day.

You are correct, they did

HancockCountyDog
01-21-2023, 08:10 PM
You are correct, they did

Then you pay Briles what he wants and you move on. Its not like it's Pittman's money.

Pittman was a good hire because he hired two good coordinators and got out of their way. Now Odom and Briles are gone and he is hiring a guy in Enos that I would have hated as an OC.

viverlibre
01-21-2023, 08:54 PM
I was on board until the Michigan statement. Michigan won a very weak big 10 and would also be 8-4 in SEC along with TCU and State. That wasn’t a fluke because the Illinois team we beat went to Ann Arbor and almost won. Illinois would have beat Michigan in the big 10 champ game but they had a bad loss that got Purdue into that game

You could play this game all day. Michigan blew out TOSU who gave UGA all they wanted and some.

Leroy Jenkins
01-21-2023, 09:12 PM
You could play this game all day. Michigan blew out TOSU who gave UGA all they wanted and some.

Yeah. No transitive property in football, or sports in general. Otherwise why even play the games.

Cooterpoot
01-21-2023, 09:13 PM
Briles went back home. It's that simple. And to a better job as well.

RiverCityDawg
01-22-2023, 09:24 AM
Some interesting information coming out of Fayetteville now that the smoke has cleared. Apparently Sexton overplayed his hand and Briles was stuck with having to take the TCU job. They used the TCU offer to get more money a second time and Pittman told sexton to hit the road.

Of course they would say that in Fayetteville. Nevermind Briles talked to UNC, SC, State among others. He was trying to get the hell of the sinking ship. He was VERY close to taking our job. Probably took less money from TCU just to get out of there and get back to Texas.

bobcat91
01-22-2023, 10:50 AM
That was Arkansas trying to make the narrative. Pittman and Briles clashed too much on the direction of the offense and was looking to leave. We should just be happy he didn't take our job and then bail a couple of weeks later. He was always going to try to get back to Texas

TrapGame
01-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Enos is a HUGE downgrade from Briles. Arkansas's season is going to be quite interesting to say the least.

confucius say
01-22-2023, 12:05 PM
As he should have. Briles and Pittman both have the same agent. I really believe Pittman wanted Briles gone and set the request for an additional raise to the forefront. There's no way the agent didn't know how Pittman felt and didn't advise him.

Neve understood how sexton doesn't get sued for breach of fiduciary duty when he is representing two clients whose interests are directly opposed to each other. Clear conflict and he cannot represent both to the fullest extent without slighting the other.

Not necessarily this situation but situations where two clients are vying for the same job.

Dawgology
01-22-2023, 03:30 PM
Honestly, Sexton a a big part of what’s wrong with college football.

WPS
01-23-2023, 04:05 PM
Enos is a HUGE downgrade from Briles. Arkansas's season is going to be quite interesting to say the least.

Enos' 2015 offense at Arkansas was one of the best in school history.

It's not quite as pro-style as it used to be though, guess we'll see. That 2015 game between Dak and Brandon Allen was one for the ages. Briles had a good offense between the 20's but was horrible in the redzone.

StarkVegasSteve
01-23-2023, 05:47 PM
Enos' 2015 offense at Arkansas was one of the best in school history.

It's not quite as pro-style as it used to be though, guess we'll see. That 2015 game between Dak and Brandon Allen was one for the ages. Briles had a good offense between the 20's but was horrible in the redzone.

That game was stupid on so many levels. We were up like 31-17 and got down 11 going into the 4th and then Hunter Henry and Sprinkle turned into Travis Kelce and George Kittle reincarnated. Also no one considered playing defense for the last 15 minutes of that game. And it was like 10 degrees the entire game.

Jarius
01-24-2023, 02:25 PM

TCU is a better job than Arkansas. It's easier to win and move up to a HC job. Arkansas is just trying to save face.

WPS
01-24-2023, 05:21 PM
TCU is a better job than Arkansas. It's easier to win and move up to a HC job. Arkansas is just trying to save face.

If that?s the only criteria though then UCF is a better job than half of the SEC

Jarius
01-24-2023, 06:17 PM
If that?s the only criteria though then UCF is a better job than half of the SEC

Last I checked OC’s at UCF we’re not parlaying that job into a major head coaching job in p5.

WPS
01-25-2023, 12:57 PM
Last I checked OC?s at UCF we?re not parlaying that job into a major head coaching job in p5.

Neither has TCU, yet. They're both newer additions to the Big 12 in large, populated states with recent success.

Of course going to a lower tier conference is going to lead to more success but you could say that about any team in the Big 12 really.

I do think the allure to being "home" meant a lot to Briles and he had really close friends at TCU from his days in Texas so that combined with an easier conference to put points up in probably made sense for him.

Jarius
01-25-2023, 07:45 PM
Neither has TCU, yet. They're both newer additions to the Big 12 in large, populated states with recent success.

Of course going to a lower tier conference is going to lead to more success but you could say that about any team in the Big 12 really.

I do think the allure to being "home" meant a lot to Briles and he had really close friends at TCU from his days in Texas so that combined with an easier conference to put points up in probably made sense for him.

No they have not, but a team that won the national title and has had a lot of success in the p5 for the past 15 years or so is easier in general to move up than a school like Arkansas (or any other sec school in Arkansas’ tier). He is going to go to the big 12 and score a billion points and get a good p5 head job in a year or 2. He was not going to do that at Arkansas.