McBath CBs

Dewhurst Safeties

Turner DL

Mele ST

Greg Knox senior analyst

That's a damn good staff.

AFDawg
01-20-2023, 01:45 PM
Welcome back Greg Knox. Two undefeated Mississippi State head coaches on staff. Skrong.

KOdawg1
01-20-2023, 01:46 PM
Welcome back Greg Knox. Two undefeated Mississippi State head coaches on staff. Skrong.
What this means is Knox will end up coaching the RBs while Tony is able to recruit.

KB21
01-20-2023, 01:47 PM
Downgraded essentially every offensive coaching position.

HancockCountyDog
01-20-2023, 01:48 PM

I can't decide if this is a real thing or a bit.

Either way, I admire your dedication to your craft.

Commercecomet24
I believe Arnett has put together a very good staff. Very good mix of experience and young energetic types. Glad Coach Knox is back too!

DEDawg
What is RGC? Right guard coach?

Commercecomet24
01-20-2023, 01:49 PM
I can't decide if this is a real thing or a bit.

Either way, I admire your dedication to your craft.

I knew he'd be along at some point to tell us how bad it is. He's in every thread now.

BrunswickDawg

Running Game Coordinator

KB21
https://twitter.com/DrewCPiscopo/status/1616503349364330499?s=20&t=bmsMfgZeVHzPoJEqgHjBxQ

DEDawg
01-20-2023, 01:50 PM
Running Game Coordinator
Ahh thanks. Was about to say, that is oddly specific haha

KOdawg1
01-20-2023, 01:50 PM
Stfu and take your pity party somewhere else

PMDawg
01-20-2023, 02:00 PM
Can we ban this moron? Or at least give him a week off?

Really Clark?

https://media.tenor.com/M7viSFurOagAAAAC/bruno-funny.gif

PMDawg

Rep subtracted.

AFDawg
01-20-2023, 02:01 PM
Well some guy on Twitter said it so it must be true.

Commercecomet24
01-20-2023, 02:03 PM
Well some guy on Twitter said it so it must be true.

Every coach should base his decisions on message boards and social media, lol!

KB21
01-20-2023, 02:06 PM
Leach > Barbay as a play caller
Miller > Friend/Schmidt
Hollingshead, Spurrier > Bumphis
Washington to Hughes is a wash.

We don't have a single position coach on the offensive staff who has a future as anything other than a position coach.

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 02:10 PM
QB Coach Leach ->Barbay DOWNGRADE
RB Coach JWash -> Hughes/Knox PUSH
OL Coach Miller -> Friend/Schmidt PUSH only because it's two people doing the job of one
WR Coach Spurrier/Hollingshead-> Bumphis DOWNGRADE
TE Coach Empty-> Schmidt UPGRADE
DL Coach Phelps-> David Turner PUSH

I don't really see anywhere we upgrade, other than TE coach since we didn't have one, but it was hard to upgrade at some positions such as receiver and QB coach. You can't replace Leach as a QB Coach or two receiver coaches with one and upgrade. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I doubt it. This staff better be the greatest talent developers on Earth because our recruiting is downgraded with the new staff. The two biggest losses were Mason Miller and Drew Hollingshead from a coaching and recruiting perspective. The biggest addition is probably Will Friend since he has at least has somewhat of a recruiting footprint. You could argue David Turner since he recruits in state really well, but he doesn't recruit out of state at all so that kind of invalidates him from being a big addition. Very surprised but glad that Jason Washington agreed to stay on. He's our portal wizard due to his connections.

I'll close with this, it was going to be impossible to keep Hollingshead or Spurrier without giving them the OC title. The one gripe I have is Mason Miller. But Arnett has made it very obvious he wants to go away from the Air Raid and it's his ass that will be fired if it fails so Mason was not going to be kept under this regime. We'll see if this works, I have my doubts that it will. I think you have to be able to attract big time players for this system to flourish and we don't have enough recruiters on staff to be able to do that. A roster full of Mississippi kids is not winning big.

confucius say
01-20-2023, 02:11 PM
From 2 WR coaches to 2 OL coaches tells you things are changing.

That said, we can maintain the 7-5/8-4 Mullen/Leach standard.

BankerDog
01-20-2023, 02:12 PM
Just need to go get Gonzalez and Hev to join Knox and have C34?s country club back together!

msu15
01-20-2023, 02:17 PM
Holy crap we upgraded as a staff. I'm very impressed by what Arnett was able to put together considering the circumstances he was put in.

confucius say
Hev tried

662dawg
https://media.tenor.com/M7viSFurOagAAAAC/bruno-funny.gif

Why am I picturing KB/mo looking exactly like this?

KOdawg1
Some of y'all are miserable 17ers

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Just need to go get Gonzalez and Hev to join Knox and have C34?s country club back together!

Funny enough I would love to bring Hev back as an offensive analyst. He evaluated the players he could coach and build up and he did it more times than not. He wasn't the recruiter that Mason Miller or even Marcus Johnson was, but he was on equal footing with Miller as a coach and developer.

KB21
01-20-2023, 02:19 PM
A much better staff would have been:

OC - Chris Hatcher
WRs/Passing Game Coordinator - Drew Hollingshead
OL/Run Game Coordinator - Mason Miller
iWR - Adam Shaker
RBs - Trey Tinsley

662dawg
01-20-2023, 02:21 PM
Some of y'all are miserable 17ers

For real. This is one of the best overall staffs that's ever been at MSU & you have people swearing we downgraded 🤦

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 02:26 PM

OC - Chris Hatcher
iWR - Adam Shaker
RBs - Trey Tinsley

You know I almost think you have some good points and then you ruin it with s*** like Trey Tinsley as the RB coach or Adam Shaker at WR coach. Why would not just keep JWash?? Also Drew was not staying without the OC title. That's been reported by multiple people, not just message board posters.

If we were going to keep the Air Raid principles, because the pure Air Raid died with Mike, a better staff would be:

OC/QB Coach-Drew Hollingshead
RB Coach-JWash
OWR/PGC-Dennis Simmons
OL/RGC-Mason Miller
IWR-Daikiel Shorts or Chad Bumphis

Again, it was obvious Arnett did not want the Air Raid, but if he did that would've been my staff.

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 02:27 PM
For real. This is one of the best overall staffs that's ever been at MSU & you have people swearing we downgraded ��

Where was there upgrade? I'm not trying to be an ass I just don't see where we upgraded.

KB21
01-20-2023, 02:29 PM
You know I almost think you have some good points and then you ruin it with s*** like Trey Tinsley as the RB coach or Adam Shaker at WR coach. Why would not just keep JWash?? Also Drew was not staying without the OC title. That's been reported by multiple people, not just message board posters.

If we were going to keep the Air Raid principles, because the pure Air Raid died with Mike, a better staff would be:

OC/QB Coach-Drew Hollingshead
RB Coach-JWash
OWR/PGC-Dennis Simmons
OL/RGC-Mason Miller
IWR-Daikiel Shorts or Chad Bumphis

Again, it was obvious Arnett did not want the Air Raid, but if he did that would've been my staff.

I'd kept Shaker and Tinsely because they have been quality control coaches under Leach for multiple years now and know the offense. Both are rising stars in the Air Raid, along with Hollingshead.

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 02:30 PM
I'd kept Shaker and Tinsely because they have been quality control coaches under Leach for multiple years now and know the offense. Both are rising stars in the Air Raid, along with Hollingshead.

They've just never recruited off campus. Throwing them into an SEC position coach would worry me. But it doesn't matter because we didn't do it.

NCDawg
01-20-2023, 02:32 PM
So Friend is classified as OL coach and coaches only centers and guards? I don't especially like breaking up OL coaching like that, but I'm not the coach. Hopefully it works out.

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 02:32 PM
Where was there upgrade? I'm not trying to be an ass I just don't see where we upgraded.

I like the Greg Knox - Tony Hughes combo for RB's - recruiting a lot with JWash still here, I think that's a plus truthfully. We would debate the OL hires, I think it's an upgrade and you don't. So be it, we would just have to agree to disagree.

KB21
01-20-2023, 02:33 PM
They've just never recruited off campus. Throwing them into an SEC position coach would worry me. But it doesn't matter because we didn't do it.

It's no different than promoting Hollingshead last year. He is now an offensive coordinator.

EDIT: I would have had zero issue with making Hollingshead the offensive coordinator here either.

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 02:36 PM
It's no different than promoting Hollingshead last year. He is now an offensive coordinator.

Well it kind of is. Hollingshead was the unofficial QB coach for years under Mike. Mike had the title of QB coach, but Drew was the guy running drills and was in the room with Mike running it.

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 02:38 PM
I like the Greg Knox - Tony Hughes combo for RB's - recruiting a lot with JWash still here, I think that's a plus truthfully. We would debate the OL hires, I think it's an upgrade and you don't. So be it, we would just have to agree to disagree.

So what do you like about Will Friend over Mason? Mason is a better recruiter and developer in my eyes. I'll give you Greg/Tony combo just because it's two over one, although I can go ahead and tell you Greg is going to be running that room. They gave Tony that title so he could recruit off campus.

662dawg
01-20-2023, 02:39 PM

See really Clarks response to you & I'll add that I think we upgraded at WR coach. We weren't the greatest at WR last year.

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 02:44 PM
So what do you like about Will Friend over Mason? Mason is a better recruiter and developer in my eyes.

It's not just Friend now though is it. Honestly I don't think we miss a thing from the recruiting side at all and with both Friend and Schmidt as OL coaches it's a wash at worse. Friend is a better position coach in my opinion but I know you disagree. He has OL groups grade out extremely well over multiple stops for over a decade. I believe in total it's an upgrade, coaching and recruiting. I knew you wouldn't though and that's why I said we would end up agreeing to disagree. And you know I really like Mason too.

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 02:45 PM
See really Clarks response to you & I'll add that I think we upgraded at WR coach. We weren't the greatest at WR last year.

Ok how did we upgrade at WR coach? Spurrier and Drew were ace recruiters and I thought our receivers played really well last year. Kind of hard to break a big one when you have a QB who can't throw 35 yards down the field. It's especially hard to break big ones, when you're having to catch slants with 9 people in the box. I don't blame our coaches for drops, that's on the receivers.

Bumphis has no recruiting ties in the area and he's not known as a good recruiter, and playing in MS doesn't give you recruiting ties in the area. It means you're known at one school. Kids these don't remember Mississippi State WRs from 12 years ago. Also, his receivers at Utah never impressed me. They got ZERO separation in the games I watched them and their blocking was average against teams with a pulse.

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 02:47 PM
It's not just Friend now though is it. Honestly I don't think we miss a thing from the recruiting side at all and with both Friend and Schmidt as OL coaches it's a wash at worse. Friend is a better position coach in my opinion but I know you disagree. He has OL groups grade out extremely well over multiple stops for over a decade. I believe in total it's an upgrade, coaching and recruiting. I knew you wouldn't though and that's why I said we would end up agreeing to disagree. And you know I really like Mason too.

Maybe you'll be right. In the words of John Correrro, "One can only hope so Jack". And you are right, I thought a lot of Mason as a coach, recruiter, and just an overall great person.

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 02:52 PM
Maybe you'll be right. In the words of John Correrro, "One can only hope so Jack". And you are right, I thought a lot of Mason as a coach, recruiter, and just an overall great person.

Lol. So very true!

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 02:55 PM
And the good news is, if this doesn't work out, you can fire Arnett pretty fast. You don't have to give him the normal 3-4 years, Moorhead was an exception due to locker room issues. You could pull the plug on this pretty quickly if you saw it spiraling. This wasn't a normal hire, and our new AD, who will make DAMN sure we don't suck at football, didn't make the hire.

KB21
01-20-2023, 02:59 PM
And the good news is, if this doesn't work out, you can fire Arnett pretty fast. You don't have to give him the normal 3-4 years, Moorhead was an exception due to locker room issues. You could pull the plug on this pretty quickly if you saw it spiraling. This wasn't a normal hire, and our new AD, who will make DAMN sure we don't suck at football, didn't make the hire.

Yep! With a return to the Air Raid!!

My early list of Arnett replacements:
Zach Kittley
Garret Riley
Eric Morris
Tyson Helton

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 03:01 PM
Yep! With a return to the Air Raid!!

Well no one is going to run the Mike Leach Air Raid ever again. It is dead. We would run some version of the Riley,Dykes, Holgorsen Air Raid. Which has a lot more focus on the run game, especially Dana and Lincoln.

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 03:01 PM

Thats a good point. I don't see it happening necessarily but you never know. ZA is damn sharp and at this point he has earned the title of the new Ninja. Hahaha He has kept a bunch of things tight to the vest and have come out of left field. All the ones who kept on that he has no clue what he is doing, no plans, etc. They were so completely wrong it's not funny.

ZedFedder
01-20-2023, 03:03 PM
Can we ban KB21? It?s clear his goal on this board, and it makes it worse for everyone else.

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 03:06 PM
Can we ban KB21? It?s clear his goal on this board, and it makes it worse for everyone else.

Nah. It is a message board and certain people have their schtick. He may turn out to be right and will unmercifully troll everyone or he may be wrong and get unmercifully trolled. Hell C34 has been wrong more times than anyone would care to count and he is still here. Hell for that matter, I have been wrong a bunch and am still here.

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 03:08 PM
Thats a good point. I don't see it happening necessarily but you never know. ZA is damn sharp and at this point he has earned the title of the new Ninja. Hahaha He has kept a bunch of things tight to the vest and have come out of left field. All the ones who kept on that he has no clue what he is doing, no plans, etc. They were so completely wrong it's not funny.

Well and that is what is left to be seen. He may be correct and this may be the way to go to win big. It is just so important to nail every hire going forward with the CFP expanding to 12 in 2024. We may not can win it, but we can be in it with the right staff and players.

KB21
01-20-2023, 03:09 PM
Well no one is going to run the Mike Leach Air Raid ever again. It is dead. We would run some version of the Riley,Dykes, Holgorsen Air Raid. Which has a lot more focus on the run game, especially Dana and Lincoln.

The Air Raid will live forever! https://theathletic.com/4060436/2023/01/05/sonny-dykes-air-raid-coaching-tree/

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 03:11 PM
The Air Raid will live forever! https://theathletic.com/4060436/2023/01/05/sonny-dykes-air-raid-coaching-tree/

Yes. A version of it will. But not the Mike Leach version. He is the only one that was successful running his version. Everyone else incorporated a run game. The running part of it is the brainchild of Art Briles and Dana Holgorsen and that is the new and IMO better version of the Air Raid

KB21
01-20-2023, 03:17 PM
Yes. A version of it will. But not the Mike Leach version. He is the only one that was successful running his version. Everyone else incorporated a run game. The running part of it is the brainchild of Art Briles and Dana Holgorsen and that is the new and IMO better version of the Air Raid

.....and I don't take any issue with Air Raid guys who run the ball. I personally wouldn't run it much, but as long as your base stuff terminology is Air Raid, I'm fine with it.

trob115
01-20-2023, 03:24 PM

OC - Chris Hatcher
iWR - Adam Shaker
RBs - Trey Tinsley

When are you going to get it that Hollingshead was never staying. He was only staying if made OC.

BrunswickDawg
01-20-2023, 03:30 PM
When are you going to get it that Hollingshead was never staying. He was only staying if made OC.

And that Chris Hatcher wasn't going to leave Samford to be our OC. Guys has been a HC for 22 years, his only move is to be a HC somewhere else.

KB21
01-20-2023, 03:41 PM
I think Hatcher would have taken the job and Hollingshead would have stayed with more responsibility and higher pay.

TrapGame
01-20-2023, 03:44 PM
I think Hatcher would have taken the job and Hollingshead would have stayed with more responsibility and higher pay.

Homedawg may want to check me on this but I heard we reached out to Hatcher and he said no thanks. He wasn't interested.

Commercecomet24
01-20-2023, 03:45 PM

Hatcher was not coming here to be oc. My cousin is his defensive coordinator at samford and Hatcher would only leaving for a better hc job. period.

KB21
01-20-2023, 03:49 PM
Hatcher was not coming here to be oc. My cousin is his defensive coordinator at samford and Hatcher would only leaving for a better hc job. period.

OK then. Just replace his name with Ben Arbuckle.

BrunswickDawg
01-20-2023, 03:54 PM

Yeah, Hatch's brother coaches a friends kids in Macon and told him the same.

PendingTransaction
01-20-2023, 03:55 PM
Accept it. Arnett didn't like the AR offense and is not attempting to carry on the CML legend. Since he was sure that he was changing the offense, it makes perfectly good sense to move on from the AR loyalists coaches. He went out and got guys who would buy his vision, not what was. Thus, his choice to not keep your favorite coach or your better coach was the right move. Now he has to bring success from his vision.

KB21
01-20-2023, 03:56 PM
Accept it. Arnett didn't like the AR offense and is not attempting to carry on the CML legend. Since he was sure that he was changing the offense, it makes perfectly good sense to move on from the AR loyalists coaches. He went out and got guys who would buy his vision, not what was. Thus, his choice to not keep your favorite coach or your better coach was the right move. Now he has to bring success from his vision.

So, then Arnett is stupid then. Got it.

BiscuitEater
01-20-2023, 04:05 PM

Meant to type 'Upgraded!'

BiscuitEater
01-20-2023, 04:07 PM

Or' Run Game Coordinator?'

PendingTransaction
01-20-2023, 04:11 PM

Well you may be qualified to assess Arnett as a stupid but I have my doubts. He has had a front row seat as to the effectiveness of the AR. I would bet that he has a pretty good grasp of its strengths and weaknesses, especially as the departed coaches would have deployed it. The best thing you and others can do is to accept that we're not going to run the AR, it has transitioned to the great beyond. Get behind Coach Arnett and see if he can win. Hell, I could make a damn book with the posts made over the last 3 years bemoaning the AR.

Cowbell
01-20-2023, 04:11 PM

Yeah the guy that won us the egg bowl and our bowl game to end the year is stupid.... or atleast not as smart as a poster.,...

Matt3467
01-20-2023, 04:12 PM
I think if our we still suck 2 years later we should all give rep to KB21. If not.....

KB21
01-20-2023, 04:16 PM
Well you may be qualified to assess Arnett as a stupid but I have my doubts. He has had a front row seat as to the effectiveness of the AR. I would bet that he has a pretty good grasp of its strengths and weaknesses, especially as the departed coaches would have deployed it. The best thing you and others can do is to accept that we're not going to run the AR, it has transitioned to the great beyond. Get behind Coach Arnett and see if he can win. Hell, I could make a damn book with the posts made over the last 3 years bemoaning the AR.

There are no weaknesses in the air raid. It's the best offensive system in football.

What we have is the typical meathead defensive minded head coach who believes you have to establish the run first and foremost to win, so instead of staying in the Air Raid family, he's decided to go with a run heavy pro style offense that is going to get smacked in the SEC.

BrunswickDawg
01-20-2023, 04:33 PM
There are no weaknesses in the air raid. It's the best offensive system in football.

This has to be shtick. I liked the AR, but I would never seriously say anything like this.

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 04:36 PM
We keep arguing with a cultist of the Air Raid. Anyone who spews ignorance like "There is no weakness in the Air Raid" is brain washed. And I like the Air Raid offense!! Have no problems if we had stayed in that genre. But to think that it's the only system that works and is devoted to it more so than supporting our coaches and school...that's a special level of dipshittery.

TrapGame
01-20-2023, 04:37 PM

No, obviously that's you.

KB21
01-20-2023, 04:38 PM
We keep arguing with a cultist of the Air Raid. Anyone who spews ignorance like "There is no weakness in the Air Raid" is brain washed. And I like the Air Raid offense!! Have no problems if we had stayed in that genre. But to think that it's the only system that works and is devoted to it more so than supporting our coaches and school...that's a special level of dipshittery.

Well, it's true. The air raid has an answer for every coverage and every defense you can throw at it.

PendingTransaction
01-20-2023, 04:38 PM
We might get smacked. But you're absolutely right about one thing, it won't be with the AR. Try to come to grips with this fact.

KB21
01-20-2023, 04:40 PM
We might get smacked. But you're absolutely right about one thing, it won't be with the AR. Try to come to grips with this fact.

Some need to come to grips with the fact that we are going to get smacked BECAUSE we are abandoning the air raid.

NCDawg
01-20-2023, 04:55 PM
Some need to come to grips with the fact that we are going to get smacked BECAUSE we are abandoning the air raid.

You could very well be right. I'm not sure can recruit well enough to be the team that can pound the ball. I don't believe we could have beaten Auburn at Auburn 2 years ago without the air raid offense. We were down 25 points and came back to win primarily with good accurate passing by Will and great catches by Polk and others.

Homedawg
01-20-2023, 04:57 PM

spot on

KOdawg1
01-20-2023, 04:57 PM

Yep. The guy who is the sole reason we won 9 games this year is stupid

Homedawg
01-20-2023, 04:58 PM
Well, it's true. The air raid has an answer for every coverage and every defense you can throw at it.

And I can draw a play on a napkin that a jr high team can score against the cowboys, too.

KOdawg1
01-20-2023, 04:58 PM
I've said it before... we have some fans who became more fans of the air raid than Mississippi State. It's a strange position to be in. Putting an offensive philosophy over an entire team.

Homedawg
01-20-2023, 04:59 PM

Cause we never got smacked WITH the AR. smdh.

confucius say
01-20-2023, 05:02 PM
You could very well be right. I'm not sure can recruit well enough to be the team that can pound the ball. I don't believe we could have beaten Auburn at Auburn 2 years ago without the air raid offense. We were down 25 points and came back to win primarily with good accurate passing by Will and great catches by Polk and others.

I am concerned about this. We need a system that allows us to win games as the less talented team. Whether that is the AR or single wing, I don't care. But we need it.

The AR had us on the 8-4 track without a playmaker at qb. I hope we can continue that.

DownwardDawg
01-20-2023, 05:13 PM

Those answers must be hidden somewhere where no one will ever find them. Mike Leach certainly didn't have them.
Stevie Wonder could see that our defense was the only reason we won 9 games this season.

KB21
01-20-2023, 05:15 PM
Those answers must be hidden somewhere where no one will ever find them. Mike Leach certainly didn't have them.
Stevie Wonder could see that our defense was the only reason we won 9 games this season.

Yeah. That 40 ppg average in wins had nothing to do with winning those games.

NCDawg
01-20-2023, 05:23 PM
Cause we never got smacked WITH the AR. smdh.

Sure we got smacked by teams that recruited better than we did and had better athletes. Ole Miss probably had better athletes over all than we did, but we won because of Leach's offense and Arnett's good defense.

confucius say
01-20-2023, 05:32 PM

That's not entirely true. In our 4 noncon and auburn, Aggie, and ark our offense was at least as responsible for those 7 wins as our defense was.

I think the better argument is our defense played well enough to win 1-2 more games. But to be fair our defense wasn't good in a few wins.

SmokeyDawg
01-20-2023, 05:42 PM
It's wild that this board has been talking in circles for 2 weeks because of KBs pity party.

For the most part I like the coaching hires. I hate to lose Miller but I figured there would be some attrition considering all these guys had followed Leach. Bumphis is a wait and see for me but I didn't see results from our wr coaches that made me think they were recruiting wizards either. We've missed on a lot of in state talent at wr for being a team predicated on passing the ball.

NCDawg
01-20-2023, 05:44 PM
That's not entirely true. In our 4 noncon and auburn, Aggie, and ark our offense was at least as responsible for those 7 wins as our defense was.

I think the better argument is our defense played well enough to win 1-2 more games. But to be fair our defense wasn't good in a few wins.

Our offense and defense played very poorly against Kentucky.

BrunswickDawg
01-20-2023, 05:46 PM
I am concerned about this. We need a system that allows us to win games as the less talented team. Whether that is the AR or single wing, I don't care. But we need it.

The AR had us on the 8-4 track without a playmaker at qb. I hope we can continue that.

I know App State ended up 6-6 -
But do you need to be reminded that it put up 61 points on a much more talented UNC and figured out how to grind a far more talented A&M team to a halt?

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 06:16 PM

But we are NOT just going to pound the ball up the middle down after down. That's the whole fallacy what he is spewing. He keeps throwing out "pro style" offense with no understanding of what that really is in todays game. It's a mixture of various different schemes. Including Air Raid passing concepts.

CoachT14
01-20-2023, 06:39 PM
Yeah. That 40 ppg average in wins had nothing to do with winning those games.

You mean 40 PPG against cupcake defenses. And 20 PPG against teams with a pulse.

KB21
01-20-2023, 06:43 PM
You mean 40 PPG against cupcake defenses. And 20 PPG against teams with a pulse.

Well, then we gave up 33.5 PPG against offenses with a pulse, because that?s how much teams scored on us in losses. Yet, we promoted the architect of that to head coach and consistently shit on the guy who controlled the entire team.

BuckyIsAB****
01-20-2023, 06:46 PM
https://twitter.com/DrewCPiscopo/status/1616503349364330499?s=20&t=bmsMfgZeVHzPoJEqgHjBxQ

Drew Piscopo is a huge air raid guy

Homedawg
01-20-2023, 07:23 PM
Sure we got smacked by teams that recruited better than we did and had better athletes. Ole Miss probably had better athletes over all than we did, but we won because of Leach's offense and Arnett's good defense.

Kentucky had better players than us?? They owned us in 20 and 22.

Homedawg
01-20-2023, 07:25 PM
But we are NOT just going to pound the ball up the middle down after down. That's the whole fallacy what he is spewing. He keeps throwing out "pro style" offense with no understanding of what that really is in todays game. It's a mixture of various different schemes. Including Air Raid passing concepts.

If we don't use AR terminology it's utterly worthless.

CoachT14
01-20-2023, 07:55 PM
Well, then we gave up 33.5 PPG against offenses with a pulse, because that?s how much teams scored on us in losses. Yet, we promoted the architect of that to head coach and consistently shit on the guy who controlled the entire team.

Our defense against top 80 scoring offenses:

Gave up 26.7 PPG. The season average was 23.1.

Teams | Season Average | Scores v State | Scoring Offense Rank

Memphis | 35.3 PPG | 23 points | 22nd
Arizona | 30.8 | 17 points | 48th
LSU | 34.5 | 31 points | 24th
Arky | 32.5 | 17 points | 35th
Bama | 41.1 | 30 | 4th
UGA | 41.1 | 45 points | 5th
Ole Miss | 33.5 | 22 points | 29th

Sounds like the defense did it’s job, held everyone below their season averages except UGA. The lowest rated scoring offense was Arizona at 48th in the country.

Flip side

Our offenses performances against top 80 defenses:

We averaged 24 PPG. Season average was 31.6 PPG.

Let’s break that down

Teams | Season Avg. Allowed | State Points | Defensive Ranking

Memphis | 26 PPG | 49 points | 60th
LSU | 22.5 PPG | 16 points | 34th
Tamu | 21.2 PPG | 42 points | 25th
UK | 19.2 PPG | 17 points (7 of which was a defensive TD) |13th
Bama | 18.2 PPG | 6 points | 9th
UGA | 14.3 PPG | 19 points | 5th
Ole Miss | 25.5 PPG | 24 points | 57th
Illinois | 12.8 PPG | 19 points (7 of which was a defensive TD) | 1st

8 games against top 80 defenses. Only 4 of which we scored more than their season average. And 1 of those 4 was only because of defensive TD.

Our offense let us down time and time again this year. But keep toting that water.

KB21
01-20-2023, 08:04 PM
Our defense against top 80 scoring offenses:

Gave up 26.7 PPG. The season average was 23.1.

Teams | Season Average | Scores v State

Memphis | 35.3 PPG | 23
Arizona | 30.8 | 17
LSU | 34.5 | 31
Arky | 32.5 | 17
Bama | 41.1 | 30
UGA | 41.1 | 45
Ole Miss | 33.5 | 22

Sounds like the defense did it’s job, held everyone below their season averages except UGA. The lowest rated scoring offense was Arizona at 48th in the country.

Flip side

Our offenses performances against top 80 defenses:

We averaged 24 PPG. Season average was 31.6 PPG.

Let’s break that down

Teams | Season Avg. Allowed | State Points

Memphis | 26 PPG | 49
LSU | 22.5 PPG | 16
Tamu | 21.2 PPG | 42
UK | 19.2 PPG | 17 (7 of which was a defensive TD)
Bama | 18.2 PPG | 6
UGA | 14.3 PPG | 19
Ole Miss | 25.5 PPG | 24
Illinois | 11.8 PPG | 19 (7 of which was a defensive TD)

8 games against top 80 defenses. Only 4 of which we scored more than their season average. And 1 of those 4 was only because of defensive TD.

Our offense let us down time and time again this year. But keep toting that water.

Keep up with your Leach hate and desire to run a single wing based offense

CoachT14
01-20-2023, 08:13 PM

Lol. Your typical response when you realize you backed yourself into a corner with your stupid shtick.

KB21
01-20-2023, 08:18 PM
Lol. Your typical response when you realize you backed yourself into a corner with your stupid shtick.

Well, I am talking to a coach that doesn?t know the difference between the veer and shoot and a pro style offense

CoachT14
01-20-2023, 08:19 PM
Well, I am talking to a coach that doesn?t know the difference between the veer and shoot and a pro style offense

Says the guy who shares random blogs from random nerds who never played a sport and justifies that as a study.

StarkVegasSteve
01-20-2023, 08:41 PM
I will say this. I sincerely hope we come out in 4 wide shotgun the first play of the season and hopefully I am seated near KB so I can watch his head explode.

Homedawg
01-20-2023, 10:34 PM

The fact you have no better comeback than that says it all.. just like the crickets on most good posts. Ignore em. I pray Steve allows you back soon so you can take your crap elsewhere. Just be a state fan and let it play out. Odds are this offense will be just like the last one and the one before. 8-4 ish Jimmy's and joes. Not AR or whatever other style offense. Makes no difference. Just be a fan instead of bitching before we ever play a game under the staff

DownwardDawg
01-20-2023, 10:46 PM
The fact you have no better comeback than that says it all.. just like the crickets on most good posts. Ignore em. I pray Steve allows you back soon so you can take your crap elsewhere. Just be a state fan and let it play out. Odds are this offense will be just like the last one and the one before. 8-4 ish Jimmy's and joes. Not AR or whatever other style offense. Makes no difference. Just be a fan instead of bitching before we ever play a game under the staff

Thank you. Well stated. He wasn't this miserable years ago. This is embarrassing for him.

Ari Gold
01-20-2023, 11:49 PM

Not as bad as your wife downgraded ...

Ari Gold
01-20-2023, 11:55 PM
Ok how did we upgrade at WR coach? Spurrier and Drew were ace recruiters and I thought our receivers played really well last year. Kind of hard to break a big one when you have a QB who can't throw 35 yards down the field. It's especially hard to break big ones, when you're having to catch slants with 9 people in the box. I don't blame our coaches for drops, that's on the receivers.

Bumphis has no recruiting ties in the area and he's not known as a good recruiter, and playing in MS doesn't give you recruiting ties in the area. It means you're known at one school. Kids these don't remember Mississippi State WRs from 12 years ago. Also, his receivers at Utah never impressed me. They got ZERO separation in the games I watched them and their blocking was average against teams with a pulse.

Posting shit you have zero knowledge about..
ask Coach Whiitingham how good a coach and recruiter Bump is..
I know for a fact what he would say

Cowbell
01-20-2023, 11:56 PM
Not as bad as your wife downgraded ...

Pretty sure this is a woman shown by her emotional sensitivity....

StarkVegasSteve
01-21-2023, 07:57 AM
Posting shit you have zero knowledge about..
ask Coach Whiitingham how good a coach and recruiter Bump is..
I know for a fact what he would say

Cussing on a message board. Man you are cool. Did your parents let you stay up late because it was the weekend too?

Ari Gold
01-21-2023, 09:57 AM
Cussing on a message board. Man you are cool. Did your parents let you stay up late because it was the weekend too?

Actually I’m really ****ing cool..
All I did was give facts to your false message .

Sorry if that pissed you off.

MaroonFlounder
01-21-2023, 12:15 PM

OC - Chris Hatcher
iWR - Adam Shaker
RBs - Trey Tinsley

You?re clueless if you think hollingshead is better than the guy that had his players catching passes in the Rose Bowl 2 years in a row, and will out-recruit anybody on Lane?s staff at Oxford.

Friend/Schmidt will also prove to be better than Miller would have been in this system.

I like that Arnett has the balls to change the offensive philosophy. Anyone that doesn?t get behind that can just moan and pout about it.

MetEdDawg
01-21-2023, 12:19 PM
This staff is a really good staff top to bottom.

It's got a combination of experience with youth, familiarity with the SEC, some outside influence, and guys that can recruit.

Arnett did a solid job and yes it looks like some things will change offensively. So what. Everyone changes. We need to run the ball more and we need a coordinated effort to do that. Physical defensive teams beat us up under Leach because we weren't a physical team. We need to be more physical and shift our offensive identity towards what nationally has been shown to work consistently.

MaroonFlounder
01-21-2023, 12:20 PM

You and KB can go get a room together, because you both have no clue how good this staff can be.

BuckyIsAB****
01-21-2023, 01:03 PM
I would rather have Hollingshead than Bumphis. But Bumphis will do a good job I think. Drew is gonna be one of best

KB21
01-21-2023, 01:10 PM
You?re clueless if you think hollingshead is better than the guy that had his players catching passes in the Rose Bowl 2 years in a row, and will out-recruit anybody on Lane?s staff at Oxford.

Friend/Schmidt will also prove to be better than Miller would have been in this system.

I like that Arnett has the balls to change the offensive philosophy. Anyone that doesn?t get behind that can just moan and pout about it.

Let me know when Bump is selected by the AFCA for the 35 under 35 leadership conference and becomes an offensive coordinator.

KB21
01-21-2023, 01:14 PM
Two of the biggest myths in football have been stated in this thread.

The first myth is that you have to run the ball to win. Analytics has proven this false.

The second myth is that the Air Raid isn?t physical.

MetEdDawg
01-21-2023, 01:47 PM

The first myth is that you have to run the ball to win. Analytics has proven this false.

Name me a team that you would consider more physical than us that we beat this year.

The version of the Air Raid that we ran wasn't as physical as is needed in the SEC against the upper tier teams.

It's not a coincidence that the 4 games we lost were our 4 lowest scoring outputs of the season. We got pushed around on offense by teams that were more physical. We beat teams more talented than us, but not more physical than us.

MaroonFlounder
01-21-2023, 02:45 PM
Let me know when Bump is selected by the AFCA for the 35 under 35 leadership conference and becomes an offensive coordinator.

I’ll let you know when this staff does WAY better than you have predicted.

Don’t go running away now. You’ve blown up 2 different message boards with your bad takes. Be man enough to admit when you’re wrong after that day comes.

Homedawg
01-21-2023, 07:39 PM
I’ll let you know when this staff does WAY better than you have predicted.

Don’t go running away now. You’ve blown up 2 different message boards with your bad takes. Be man enough to admit when you’re wrong after that day comes.

I wish he would go back to genespage....

msu15
01-21-2023, 08:02 PM

I know what isn't a myth, the fact that Leach's offense couldn't do jack shit against any defense with a pulse the past 3 years.

Todd4State
01-22-2023, 01:50 AM
Name me a team that you would consider more physical than us that we beat this year.

The version of the Air Raid that we ran wasn't as physical as is needed in the SEC against the upper tier teams.

It's not a coincidence that the 4 games we lost were our 4 lowest scoring outputs of the season. We got pushed around on offense by teams that were more physical. We beat teams more talented than us, but not more physical than us.

It's also probably not a coincidence that our offense struggled against the top 3 defenses in PPG and total defense in Georgia, Alabama, and Kentucky. Then we lost to LSU who was top 5 in PPG and 6 in total defense. Illinois was number one in the Big 10 in PPG and #2 in total defense and actually allowed fewer PPG than Georgia. We've never had an offense that has scored consistently against the top defenses in the SEC. The goal there should be to be able to score enough to give ourselves a chance to win a low scoring game. See the RelaiOutback Bowl.

The rest of the games we played we did pretty well. Except for the Egg Bowl where we turned it over a ton. And even then we should have had 30 points had it not been for a poor call on a play where Dillion Johnson scored and they incorrectly marked us down at the one. 30+ points on every else is very solid. People mock this team for blowing out our OOC teams but that rarely has happened at MSU if we're being honest. If we can make a few additions and tweaks and get to where we score 20+ points on really good defenses which we were pretty close to doing last year- then we could have a really good year this year.

But again at the end of the day it's about recruiting rather than the scheme we run.

Todd4State
01-22-2023, 01:56 AM

Two of the guys Arnett fired immediately became OC's. Miller will without a doubt land on his feet somewhere as well. I may be wrong but I kind of doubt that if we fired Bumphis he would become an OC. Hughes is the same difference as Washington. Barbay is an unknown and likely a downgrade from Leach. Friend will probably be OK but we'll be fortunate if he is as good as Miller. Schmidt I think was brought in to help Arnett more than anything and give him someone he trusts. Turner can recruit better than Phelps but Phelps wasn't bad. Literally know nothing about Dewhurst. I imagine Hopson will help him out.

CoachT14
01-22-2023, 08:36 AM

What analytics? You posting a random blog from some random nerd who crunched numbers isn’t analytics.

Pancho
01-22-2023, 08:45 AM
KB21 and Homedawg evidently have a strong dislike for MSU. stfu

Homedawg
01-22-2023, 09:36 AM

What's my dislike? I'm

DownwardDawg
01-22-2023, 10:18 AM

This is a terribly misguided post. Homedawg??? I think you need to do some research.

KB21
01-22-2023, 01:05 PM
So, if you don?t like caveman football, you must not like Mississippi State?

Coursesuper
01-22-2023, 01:44 PM

It is past time for this one to go, adds nothing to any discussion at all just bombs thread after thread. I?ll hang up and listen for a while.

ZedFedder
01-22-2023, 01:47 PM
It is past time for this one to go, adds nothing to any discussion at all just bombs thread after thread. I?ll hang up and listen for a while.

Exactly. I?m all for differing opinions, and that?s part of why this is a great message board. KB21 isn?t wanting discussion, though. He wants to be unbearable. Once you?ve stated your position, let it be.

I still move he be banned.

Homedawg
01-22-2023, 01:50 PM

And we haven't played a snap of the new offense. Not one. You're complaining to complain.

Coursesuper
01-22-2023, 01:52 PM
And we haven't played a snap of the new offense. Not one. You're complaining to complain.

More fuel for fire with this one.

smootness
01-22-2023, 01:57 PM

Man, how could we ever hope to hire another of these 35 under 35 guys? David Stuckman, Ray Pickering, Nate Letton, Kris McCullough. Rarified air, to be sure.

Even Leach wouldn't agree with you on the AR. No weaknesses and a perfect system? My gosh dude. EVERY offense has an 'answer' for every defense called. If there was an offense that didn't have an answer for one type of defense, it would easily be the worst offense ever designed. People said the same about the triple option, you wanna run that?

Drew Piscopo thinks we made a mistake?! What will we ever do? DREW PISCOPO?!?!

Goldendawg
01-22-2023, 02:13 PM

Do you see anything positive about our upcoming season, coaching staff, and players or should I prepare myself for a "Tech and 10" with an additional loss?

KB21
01-22-2023, 02:18 PM
Do you see anything positive about our upcoming season, coaching staff, and players or should I prepare myself for a "Tech and 10" with an additional loss?

Offensively, no.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2023, 02:46 PM
Man, how could we ever hope to hire another of these 35 under 35 guys? David Stuckman, Ray Pickering, Nate Letton, Kris McCullough. Rarified air, to be sure.

Even Leach wouldn't agree with you on the AR. No weaknesses and a perfect system? My gosh dude. EVERY offense has an 'answer' for every defense called. If there was an offense that didn't have an answer for one type of defense, it would easily be the worst offense ever designed. People said the same about the triple option, you wanna run that?

Drew Piscopo thinks we made a mistake?! What will we ever do? DREW PISCOPO?!?!

Is that Joes son? Lol

SmokeyDawg
01-22-2023, 03:39 PM

To be fair you call it "leach hate" when stats are posted to show how we underperformed

CoachT14
01-22-2023, 03:41 PM

If you don’t have a spreadsheet in front of you, you’d have no idea what football even was.

Really Clark?
01-22-2023, 05:11 PM
For a staff that was supposedly cobbled together by an unprepared ZA and the predictions of all of the players we were going to lose...crickets from those posters. ZA is sharp, prepared and recruits well. The staff is doing well so far.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2023, 05:13 PM
For a staff that was supposedly cobbled together by an unprepared ZA and the predictions of all of the players we were going to lose...crickets from those posters. ZA is sharp, prepared and recruits well. The staff is doing well so far.

Well not crickets from all posters lol! But yeah Arnett has done a great job keeping and adding players, filling out the roster and building his staff!

Really Clark?
01-22-2023, 05:15 PM
Well not crickets from all posters lol! But yeah Arnett has done a great job keeping and adding players, filling out the roster and building his staff!

Well I said posters not obnoxious ignorant trolls. But I get your point. Lol

Commercecomet24
01-22-2023, 05:16 PM
Well I said posters not obnoxious ignorant trolls. But I get your point. Lol

True!!!

Pancho
01-23-2023, 07:51 AM
This is a terribly misguided post. Homedawg??? I think you need to do some research.

Just leave this goof KB21 alone. He's got ole miss, grove level intellect and makes the whole board look bad.

Ari Gold
01-23-2023, 10:43 AM
Two of the guys Arnett fired immediately became OC's. Miller will without a doubt land on his feet somewhere as well. I may be wrong but I kind of doubt that if we fired Bumphis he would become an OC. Hughes is the same difference as Washington. Barbay is an unknown and likely a downgrade from Leach. Friend will probably be OK but we'll be fortunate if he is as good as Miller. Schmidt I think was brought in to help Arnett more than anything and give him someone he trusts. Turner can recruit better than Phelps but Phelps wasn't bad. Literally know nothing about Dewhurst. I imagine Hopson will help him out.

Only took Spurier Jr 29 years to get an OC job, and CZA wasnt going to give the OC reigns to a guy thats never been an OC
With Miller we can wait and see what happens with him but the 2 hires we made at OL / TE coach are very solid hires
And Bump is a big time get for us.. and if anyone doubts that he is very wrong .. again how many WR have we put in the league since Eric Moulds???.

Guys sadly Mike Leach is gone. I dont care who you hire for the HC or OC its never going to be the Mike Leach version of the Ari raid..
Did it work here ? Yes and No
Did Moorheads offense work here ? Yes and No
Did Dans offense work here ? Yes and No
Will what ever offense CZA brings in work here .? Odds are yes and no

Bottom line everyone get the **** over it , and get behind the new blood that is MSU football ..

parabrave
01-23-2023, 10:44 AM
Greg Knox is back. I like this. We now have the the 2 coaches with the highest winning percentages in school history.

Todd4State
01-23-2023, 03:33 PM
Only took Spurier Jr 29 years to get an OC job, and CZA wasnt going to give the OC reigns to a guy thats never been an OC
With Miller we can wait and see what happens with him but the 2 hires we made at OL / TE coach are very solid hires
And Bump is a big time get for us.. and if anyone doubts that he is very wrong .. again how many WR have we put in the league since Eric Moulds???.

Guys sadly Mike Leach is gone. I dont care who you hire for the HC or OC its never going to be the Mike Leach version of the Ari raid..
Did it work here ? Yes and No
Did Moorheads offense work here ? Yes and No
Did Dans offense work here ? Yes and No
Will what ever offense CZA brings in work here .? Odds are yes and no

Bottom line everyone get the **** over it , and get behind the new blood that is MSU football ..

I'll say this:

1. I pray that we never have to do a coaching search without an AD in place ever again.

2. I hope it works. But I have some doubts.

KB21
01-23-2023, 04:00 PM
I'll say this:

1. I pray that we never have to do a coaching search without an AD in place ever again.

I heard all i needed to hear in the interview with Charlie and Bart. Barbay said you have to run the ball to win. No, you don't.

Ari Gold
01-23-2023, 04:19 PM
I'll say this:

Yeah because these hires panned out so well with an AD in place
Moorhead
Cannizaro
Nikki McCray

Ari Gold
01-23-2023, 04:22 PM
I heard all i needed to hear in the interview with Charlie and Bart. Barbay said you have to run the ball to win. No, you don't.

Not running it sure didn’t win many games in 2020 ....

Homedawg
01-23-2023, 04:26 PM

Well name one then.................

KB21
01-23-2023, 04:30 PM
https://theathletic.com/980870/2019/07/26/teams-dont-have-to-establish-the-run-to-win-games-and-the-analytics-proves-it-but-the-run-isnt-dead-either/

Have you ever watched in frustration as your favorite team inexplicably runs the ball up the middle with little or no success? Do you find yourself thinking, What are they doing? Why don’t they throw the ball more? Am I crazy?

You’re not crazy. The analytics backs up your belief that this type of play calling is illogical.

Ari Gold
01-23-2023, 04:33 PM
Well name one then.................

Who ever wins the 7 on 7 summer tourneys.
Too bad for KB21 college football and the sec aren’t 7 on 7. If so All of his ignorance would actually hold water

Todd4State
01-23-2023, 04:33 PM
Yeah because these hires panned out so well with an AD in place
Moorhead
Cannizaro
Nikki McCray

Was unaware that we had to have Cohen as AD or no one.**

How did Greg Byrne work out here?

Really Clark?
01-23-2023, 04:39 PM

Well good, that puts that to rest for you then. You can finally quit following State and go root for another team that fits your opinion of offense. I'm sure they have plenty of message boards that will welcome you with open arms.

KB21
01-23-2023, 04:40 PM
With all that said, here are the recommendations from the analytics community:

1. Don’t invest heavily in your run game because it doesn’t correlate with winning

2. Use more play action because it’s more effective than drop-back passing and it has proved to work without having to “establish the run”

3. Don’t run the ball into eight-man boxes

4. Test the limits of passing, don’t force the run “unnecessarily”

5. Use the pass to set up the run (run when defenses start to adjust to pass)

6. Deception in all its forms is the most important element in offense

7. The run game is valuable in short-yardage situations, in the red zone and for running out the clock.

Ari Gold
01-23-2023, 04:42 PM
Was unaware that we had to have Cohen as AD or no one.**

How did Greg Byrne work out here?

Just making a point where we had a AD in place and bad hires were made.
If CZA doesn’t win then I’m sure Zach will have a replacement lined up

Its like you are fishing to find a reason to dislike the hire. If you don’t like , all good.. but let’s at least let CZA have a cup of coffee before we start comparing him to Sly Croom

KB21
01-23-2023, 05:00 PM
Well good, that puts that to rest for you then. You can finally quit following State and go root for another team that fits your opinion of offense. I'm sure they have plenty of message boards that will welcome you with open arms.

Nah. I think I'll continue to do what I've done all my life. This little experiment with Coach Meathead will end in a couple of years, and with Zac's history of being around the Air Raid and Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma, I'm 95% certain that he will replace Meathead with an intelligent Air Raid guy.

Coursesuper
01-23-2023, 05:00 PM

It?s like you are fishing to find a reason to dislike the hire. If you don’t like , all good.. but let’s at least let CZA have a cup of coffee before we start comparing him to Sly Croom

Absolutely!

StarkVegasSteve
01-23-2023, 05:04 PM
That interview with Barbay actually put me a little more at ease.

1. He considers himself a TX high school football coach and talked about the roots his family has in TX. That eased my concerns about losing TX as a recruiting ground.

2. He talked about all the different offenses his offensive philosophy has morphed from. Specifically mentioned Todd Dodge and Todd doesn't run Pro Style.

3. Also specifically said his offense is NOT PRO STYLE.

4. Mentioned that he uses tempo and will go basketball on grass if he sees the opportunity.

And yes, you do actually have to run the ball to win.

2022 UGA 557 rushes/492 passes (53/47 rush to pass)
2021 UGA 545 rushes/407 passes (57/43 rush to pass)
2020 Bama 477 rushes/ 425 passes (53/47 rush to pass)
2019 LSU 494 rushes/567 passes (47/53 rush to pass)

So those are the last 4 national champions with a combined record of 57-1 who on average were around 52/48 rush to pass

Now here's us the last 3 years since Leach was only here 3

2020- 204 rush/557 pass (27/73 rush to pass)
2021- 270 rush/ 704 pass (28/72 rush to pass)
2022- 295 rush/634 pass (32/68 rush to pass)

So our 3 year record was 20-17. So as you can see that is just slightly worse than those teams that won the national championship. Also, it's probably no coincidence that our most wins came when we rushed the ball more.

Now my last point, everyone wants to talk about beating Alabama and the offense you have to run to do it. Let's look at Ole Miss in the two games that they beat Bama in 14 and 15 and then look at them this year when they were ball in air from beating them.

2014- 32 rushes/31 passes. So basically 50/50. And even though they only had 76 rushing yards, they kept Bama honest because the threat was there to actually run and not run some shit dump off that got blown up in the backfield or a yd from the LOS.

2015- 32 rushes/33 passes. Again 50/50. They only had 92 yds rushing but the threat that they may run an actual running play let them throw over the top and not crappy 3 yd slant routes and they had 341 yds passing.

2022- 49 rushes/32 passes. 60/40 run to pass. They had 191 yds rushing and 212 yds passing on just 18 completions. That's balance. They were able to take shots because the defense wasn't in some version of Cover 3 90% of the game. It would take Will 28 passes in the Leach Air Raid to get to 200 yds.

I say all that to say this: YOU HAVE TO HAVE A RUNNING GAME TO WIN AND COMPETE WITH EVERYONE.

Really Clark?
01-23-2023, 05:14 PM
Nah. I think I'll continue to do what I've done all my life. This little experiment with Coach Meathead will end in a couple of years, and with Zac's history of being around the Air Raid and Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma, I'm 95% certain that he will replace Meathead with an intelligent Air Raid guy.

Got it, you want to continue to be an obnoxious tool with little of understanding of the game in the real world. Good luck with that.

And don't forget, you may not be here by the end of this season anyway. .

Really Clark?
01-23-2023, 05:16 PM

1. He considers himself a TX high school football coach and talked about the roots his family has in TX. That eased my concerns about losing TX as a recruiting ground.

2. He talked about all the different offenses his offensive philosophy has morphed from. Specifically mentioned Todd Dodge and Todd doesn't run Pro Style.

4. Mentioned that he uses tempo and will go basketball on grass if he sees the opportunity.

So those are the last 4 national champions with a combined record of 57-1 who on average were around 52/48 rush to pass

So our 3 year record was 20-17. So as you can see that is just slightly worse than those teams that won the national championship. Also, it's probably no coincidence that our most wins came when we rushed the ball more.

Now my last point, everyone wants to talk about beating Alabama and the offense you have to run to do it. Let's look at Ole Miss in the two games that they beat Bama in 14 and 15 and then look at them this year when they were ball in air from beating them.

2014- 32 rushes/31 passes. So basically 50/50. And even though they only had 76 rushing yards, they kept Bama honest because the threat was there to actually run and not run some shit dump off that got blown up in the backfield or a yd from the LOS.

2015- 32 rushes/33 passes. Again 50/50. They only had 92 yds rushing but the threat that they may run an actual running play let them throw over the top and not crappy 3 yd slant routes and they had 341 yds passing.

2022- 49 rushes/32 passes. 60/40 run to pass. They had 191 yds rushing and 212 yds passing on just 18 completions. That's balance. They were able to take shots because the defense wasn't in some version of Cover 3 90% of the game. It would take Will 28 passes in the Leach Air Raid to get to 200 yds.

I say all that to say this: YOU HAVE TO HAVE A RUNNING GAME TO WIN AND COMPETE WITH EVERYONE.

Good points Steve

StarkVegasSteve
01-23-2023, 05:19 PM
Got it, you want to continue to be an obnoxious tool with little of understanding of the game in the real world. Good luck with that.

And don't forget, you may not be here by the end of this season anyway. .

You think he realizes that Lincoln doesn't run Mike's Air Raid? He runs Dana's and Art's. He's between 48-52% run every year that he's been a HC.

Really Clark?
01-23-2023, 05:24 PM
You think he realizes that Lincoln doesn't run Mike's Air Raid? He runs Dana's and Art's. He's between 48-52% run every year that he's been a HC.

Not if the Athletic didn't write an article about it.

TrapGame
01-23-2023, 05:27 PM

That's b/c they realized Leach's flaw in his scheme, not running the ball enough. We all talked about it for three years. Even guys like me that defended Leach wanted to see more rushing attempts instead of a bunch of 3 yard dump offs.

StarkVegasSteve
01-23-2023, 05:28 PM
Since I'm having fun pissing in KB's cornflakes and he wants to bring up Lincoln Riley, let's look at ole Linc's splits:

2022- 473 rushes/ 515 passes (48/52 run to pass)
2021- 448 rushes/ 403 passes (53/47 run to pass)
2020- 419 rushes/ 362 passes (53/47 run to pass)
2019- 565 rushes/ 381 passes (60/40 run to pass)
2018- 527 rushes/401 passes (57/43 run to pass)
2017- 546 rushes/ 433 passes (56/44 run to pass)

StarkVegasSteve
01-23-2023, 05:30 PM
That's b/c they realized Leach's flaw in his scheme, not running the ball enough. We all talked about it for three years. Even guys like me that defended Leach wanted to see more rushing attempts instead of a bunch of 3 yard dump offs.

And actually I was wrong. His best teams, the one's that made the playoff, were WAY more run heavy. 55% or better run.

Homedawg
01-23-2023, 05:37 PM

1. Don?t invest heavily in your run game because it doesn?t correlate with winning

2. Use more play action because it?s more effective than drop-back passing and it has proved to work without having to ?establish the run?

3. Don?t run the ball into eight-man boxes

4. Test the limits of passing, don?t force the run ?unnecessarily?

7. The run game is valuable in short-yardage situations, in the red zone and for running out the clock.

Here are some others, NEVER punt and always go for 2..................just a couple, the first worked out swell for Lane train.

StarkVegasSteve
01-23-2023, 05:38 PM

1. Don?t invest heavily in your run game because it doesn?t correlate with winning

2. Use more play action because it?s more effective than drop-back passing and it has proved to work without having to ?establish the run?

3. Don?t run the ball into eight-man boxes

4. Test the limits of passing, don?t force the run ?unnecessarily?

Guys did you know that you don't have to establish a run to PA pass??? That blew the hell out of my mind.

And hold on, you said we never needed to run and passing was the only way? So why do we need to run if they've adjusted to the pass and why is good in short yardage situations? The Air Raid has an answer for everything remember? Except that minor two year period where Drop 8 was kryptonite and then this year when teams figured out you can cover 2 and cover 3 blitz us. But besides that it has an answer for everything.

Homedawg
01-23-2023, 05:41 PM

Clearly he doesn't. Nobody throws it as much as we did. And nobody will.

KB21
01-23-2023, 05:41 PM
If y'all want to continue to ignore the analytics and rest on the conventional wisdom (that has been proven false) that the formula for winning is running the ball and playing defense, then that's on you. The analytics are on my side of this argument that I will ultimately win as I always do.

Homedawg
01-23-2023, 05:43 PM
Since I'm having fun pissing in KB's cornflakes and he wants to bring up Lincoln Riley, let's look at ole Linc's splits:

2022- 473 rushes/ 515 passes (48/52 run to pass)
2021- 448 rushes/ 403 passes (53/47 run to pass)
2020- 419 rushes/ 362 passes (53/47 run to pass)
2019- 565 rushes/ 381 passes (60/40 run to pass)
2018- 527 rushes/401 passes (57/43 run to pass)
2017- 546 rushes/ 433 passes (56/44 run to pass)

I brought up that the other day, and KB went crickets. chirp chirp . And notice this year was the most he has ever thrown it and that was with a Heisman winner......

StarkVegasSteve
01-23-2023, 05:43 PM
If y'all want to continue to ignore the analytics and rest on the conventional wisdom (that has been proven false) that the formula for winning is running the ball and playing defense, then that's on you. The analytics are on my side of this argument that I will ultimately win as I always do.

How many Air Raid teams have won the national championship? Hell how many have been in the playoff? Because by your definition neither Lincoln nor Sonny Dykes is Air Raid.

Homedawg
01-23-2023, 05:46 PM

Again, analytics say you should never punt....

Really Clark?
01-23-2023, 06:09 PM

Naw, I'm not ignoring analytics, just have a much deeper understanding of the analytics and the application of them in real game situations.

But hey you go on thinking the Air Raid has answer for every defense to pass every play...but wait your diatribe a few posts back is conflicting with you prior statements on analytics. It talks about...gasp...running the football. How can that be? You are never suppose to run. That's been your stance over and over and over for over a week. How is that possible? Because there are flaws in those analytics you are posting without a deeper dive to understand them.

KB21
01-23-2023, 06:13 PM
Naw, I'm not ignoring analytics, just have a much deeper understanding of the analytics and the application of them in real game situations.

But hey you go on thinking the Air Raid has answer for every defense to pass every play...but wait your diatribe a few posts back is conflicting with you prior statements on analytics. It talks about...gasp...running the football. How can that be? You are never suppose to run. That's been your stance over and over and over for over a week.
That has never been my stance for those paying attention.

I?m fine with running the ball to keep a defense honest, but the days where the running game should be the focus of your offense are long gone.

We now have a coordinator who emphasizes the run game as opposed to a true spread passing game.

Really Clark?
01-23-2023, 06:28 PM
That has never been my stance for those paying attention.

I?m fine with running the ball to keep a defense honest, but the days where the running game should be the focus of your offense are long gone.

We now have a coordinator who emphasizes the run game as opposed to a true spread passing game.

Good grief. Sure dude. You have a special kind of mental disorder.

A spread base is not running or passing. It's just spread and what Barbay runs. You don't run 2 different base styles of offense depending on if you run or throw.

MaroonFlounder
01-23-2023, 06:36 PM

I like to air it out as much as the next guy. But the games we dominated and imposed our will was against A&M and Arkansas and running it down their throat. (Along with some well-timed play action passes). Obviously can’t do that against Bama or Georgia, but anybody with a brain would prefer to RTGDF if we are winning the LOS.

Commercecomet24
01-23-2023, 06:54 PM

Exactly! Nobody runs Leachs Air Raid he was unique and the last and that version went with him.

Homedawg
01-23-2023, 07:06 PM
Worst part is, when we go anything less than 10-2 he's gonna come here saying see- I told you so. Which would be stupid considering leach's best year was 8-4. But trust me, this clown is gonna do it. Book it.

Commercecomet24
01-23-2023, 07:12 PM
Worst part is, when we go anything less than 10-2 he's gonna come here saying see- I told you so. Which would be stupid considering leach's best year was 8-4. But trust me, this clown is gonna do it. Book it.

100%

Coursesuper
01-23-2023, 07:18 PM
100%

All more examples of why this clown needs to get dinged.

CoachT14
01-23-2023, 07:26 PM

You posting “analytics” from some random writer at the Atlantic doesn’t prove a damn thing other than you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Todd4State
01-23-2023, 08:04 PM

It's like you are fishing to find a reason to dislike the hire. If you don’t like , all good.. but let’s at least let CZA have a cup of coffee before we start comparing him to Sly Croom

For me to compare him to Croom he is going to have to earn it. Like averaging 15 PPG. I certainly don't wish that.

That said it's funny you're saying this to me because the people that put Cohen in charge are the same ones that put Arnett in charge.

Todd4State
01-23-2023, 08:10 PM

The teams that win the National Championship are close to 50/50 which is a big change from years past. Especially when you consider sacks go down as running plays. Then consider that most of the time they have a lead late in a game and therefore run the ball to run the clock out.

Can't really look at champions without also looking at their defensive and special teams stats.

The best offense in there was LSU's which was pass heavy.

As more and more teams invest in analytics it's only a matter of time before teams are winning titles with 60/40 pass run split. The NFL is close to that right now as it is. And the SEC is starting to look more and more to the NFL for coaches- see Todd Monken, Bill O'Brien, Joe Brady, and etc.

Actually in hindsight would have liked to have seen us hire an up and coming Joe Brady type.

StarkVegasSteve
01-23-2023, 08:30 PM
The teams that win the National Championship are close to 50/50 which is a big change from years past. Especially when you consider sacks go down as running plays. Then consider that most of the time they have a lead late in a game and therefore run the ball to run the clock out.

Can't really look at champions without also looking at their defensive and special teams stats.

As more and more teams invest in analytics it's only a matter of time before teams are winning titles with 60/40 pass run split. The NFL is close to that right now as it is. And the SEC is starting to look more and more to the NFL for coaches- see Todd Monken, Bill O'Brien, Joe Brady, and etc.

Actually in hindsight would have liked to have seen us hire an up and coming Joe Brady type.

You do realize Joe Brady runs Moorhead's offense right? Moorhead wanted to bring him in to be OC in 2019 but some people threw a fit because he had never been an OC and had only been an offensive asst for one year and it was at the pro level.

Todd4State
01-23-2023, 08:38 PM
You do realize Joe Brady runs Moorhead's offense right? Moorhead wanted to bring him in to be OC in 2019 but some people threw a fit because he had never been an OC and had only been an offensive asst for one year and it was at the pro level.

Well to be technical he also ran Sean Payton's offense at LSU with Moorhead's RPO's added in.

I don't want Brady specifically. Just someone with a similar pro background. Like a guy that was an offensive assistant under Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay.

Homedawg
01-23-2023, 09:43 PM

How Brady didn't call the plays for lsu. Emsfinger did.

Todd4State
01-23-2023, 09:54 PM
How Brady didn't call the plays for lsu. Emsfinger did.

That's true. I speaking more to the influence he had on their offense.

Homedawg
01-23-2023, 10:19 PM
That's true. I speaking more to the influence he had on their offense.

I get ya

StarkVegasSteve
01-23-2023, 10:22 PM
Well to be technical he also ran Sean Payton's offense at LSU with Moorhead's RPO's added in.

I don't want Brady specifically. Just someone with a similar pro background. Like a guy that was an offensive assistant under Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay.

They didn't run the Saints offense. They ran an RPO based spread, that's not Sean Payton. That's Joe Moorhead. It was a ton of 11 and 10 personnel. Ed brought Brady in on Sean's recommendation, but it wasn't to run the Saints offense. He knew Joe wanted to get back to the pro game but needed play calling experience and LSU needed some new life on the offensive side of the ball. It was a perfect one year marriage.

Todd4State
01-23-2023, 11:44 PM
They didn't run the Saints offense. They ran an RPO based spread, that's not Sean Payton. That's Joe Moorhead. It was a ton of 11 and 10 personnel. Ed brought Brady in on Sean's recommendation, but it wasn't to run the Saints offense. He knew Joe wanted to get back to the pro game but needed play calling experience and LSU needed some new life on the offensive side of the ball. It was a perfect one year marriage.

"Brady said "a very good portion" of LSU's passing game and even the offensive terminology come from the Saints. But his ideas go beyond just the Saints playbook. In fact, one of the main reasons that Orgeron hired him was because of his knowledge of the run-pass option game that he developed while working as a graduate assistant at Penn State."

"When I watch the LSU offense, it is a heavily schemed pro-style route tree that resembles the New Orleans Saints -- in terms of how they put defensive coverages and defensive players in conflict," Bowen said. "And what that requires is for an elite-level quarterback to go through pro progressions, to find the voids in zone coverage and to find the matchups that are created within this offense."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28453405/how-lsu-tigers-dynamic-offense-was-inspired-saints-drew-brees-101

If I had it my way this is the kind of offense we would run. Life isn't perfect though.

KB21
01-24-2023, 10:46 AM
"Brady said "a very good portion" of LSU's passing game and even the offensive terminology come from the Saints. But his ideas go beyond just the Saints playbook. In fact, one of the main reasons that Orgeron hired him was because of his knowledge of the run-pass option game that he developed while working as a graduate assistant at Penn State."

"When I watch the LSU offense, it is a heavily schemed pro-style route tree that resembles the New Orleans Saints -- in terms of how they put defensive coverages and defensive players in conflict," Bowen said. "And what that requires is for an elite-level quarterback to go through pro progressions, to find the voids in zone coverage and to find the matchups that are created within this offense."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28453405/how-lsu-tigers-dynamic-offense-was-inspired-saints-drew-brees-101

If I had it my way this is the kind of offense we would run. Life isn't perfect though.

Brady's offense was a pro style offense that worked to that level because he had an elite NFL QB, two elite NFL WRs, and an average NFL RB. What happened when that talent left, Joe Brady left, and they tried to run the same system with weaker talent?

Todd4State
01-24-2023, 01:43 PM
Brady's offense was a pro style offense that worked to that level because he had an elite NFL QB, two elite NFL WRs, and an average NFL RB. What happened when that talent left, Joe Brady left, and they tried to run the same system with weaker talent?

Yes, talent matters a lot. However in this case LSU was spiraling out of control because they went insane after winning the National Championship.

Which is ultimately why Coach O resigned.

Jarius
01-24-2023, 02:47 PM

They scored over 32 ppg against an all SEC schedule the next year. They were really bad on defense, not offense. You are once again talking out your ass.

TrapGame
01-24-2023, 03:00 PM
They scored over 32 ppg against an all SEC schedule the next year. They were really bad on defense, not offense. You are once again talking out your ass.

Yeah, with a better defense Coach O might have kept his job another year at least. The offense was okay.

Jarius
01-24-2023, 03:01 PM
Yeah, with a better defense Coach O might have kept his job another year at least. The offense was okay.

The offense he thought was bad scored more ppg than any offense Leach had here and LSU did it with an all sec schedule.

Leroy Jenkins
01-24-2023, 03:11 PM
https://y.yarn.co/923228f1-16b5-433a-87fe-dbd04e037d8b_text.gif

KB21
01-24-2023, 03:19 PM
Really? LSU had the #1 OFEI rating in 2019. That fell to 94th in 2020.

Jarius
01-24-2023, 03:43 PM

They had a top 5 scoring offense in the conference in 2020. Points are all that matter. Go count the number of times we have scored 32 ppg within conference play. I'll wait.

smootness
01-24-2023, 06:05 PM

What did they run the year before Brady?

Pancho
01-24-2023, 09:10 PM
how much time u got?

msu15
01-24-2023, 09:14 PM

Are you so stupid that you don't know how to quote a post?

Pancho
01-24-2023, 09:16 PM
well, he is stupid but lotta them slave owner types from oxfart are that away.

Homedawg
01-24-2023, 09:18 PM
well, he is stupid but lotta them slave owner types from oxfart are that away.

Unfortunately kb is one of our own. Unless he's been posing on genespage for 20 years. So I doubt it.

Pancho
01-24-2023, 10:37 PM
If he ain't a khaki shorts n polo shirt frat boy from oxfart, he sure does want to be one. I guess we all have stupid fans. Why is he so fascinated in acting like one of them?

HancockCountyDog
01-25-2023, 02:30 PM
Unfortunately kb is one of our own. Unless he's been posing on genespage for 20 years. So I doubt it.

Some people get wrapped around the axle on some issues. Hell, I swear someone was complaining about Stans while we were winning every year, no matter what we did. I can't recall the poster's name, its been a minute.