PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse OL Coach is our new OL Coach

confucius say
01-20-2023, 10:20 AM
Per the twitters. This mean Friend will coach TE?

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 10:31 AM
ZA keeps things tight that's for sure. He's is a very good OL coach though.

KOdawg1
01-20-2023, 10:49 AM
I figure one will coach TE/OT and the other will coach G/C

KB21
01-20-2023, 10:57 AM
What's funny is that we have all these new assistant coaches whose background is in the pro style system, but we have some thinking that we aren't really going to run a pro style system.

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 11:10 AM
What's funny is that we have all these new assistant coaches whose background is in the pro style system, but we have some thinking that we aren't really going to run a pro style system.

Schmidt was the OL coach for Anae who was the OC...Anae coached under Mike Leach. Syracuse was not running a pro system. Nice try though

ZedFedder
01-20-2023, 11:11 AM
I really, really like the staff Arnett has assembled.

Ari Gold
01-20-2023, 11:12 AM

Enjoy your weekend

KB21
01-20-2023, 11:13 AM
Schmidt was the OL coach for Anae who was the OC...Anae coached under Mike Leach. Syracuse was not running a pro system. Nice try though

Syracuse wasn't, but the majority of his career has come at San Diego State, who absolutely does run a pro style system. So, you have Mike Schmidt who has been a part of Andy Ludwig's and Jeff Horton's pro style system at SDSU, Will Friend who has coached nothing but pro style in his career, Chad Bumphis coming from Ludwig's pro style system, and Barbay who comes from McElwain's pro style system.

Homedawg
01-20-2023, 11:17 AM
Syracuse wasn't, but the majority of his career has come at San Diego State, who absolutely does run a pro style system. So, you have Mike Schmidt who has been a part of Andy Ludwig's and Jeff Horton's pro style system at SDSU, Will Friend who has coached nothing but pro style in his career, Chad Bumphis coming from Ludwig's pro style system, and Barbay who comes from McElwain's pro style system.

Everyone here knows two things, we aren't throwing it 75% of the time and you clearly despise that. WE GET IT. Just stop watching us. Or keep up your insufferable bitching.

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 11:30 AM

Coaches can coach multiple styles and meshes of offenses.

But you keep on being a special kind of miserable douche. It helps me to picture you like this after you post though.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnlinedPitifulGrouse-size_restricted.gif

KOdawg1
01-20-2023, 11:31 AM

Go back to Gene's Page

RockyDog
01-20-2023, 11:31 AM

We get it. Any offense that doesn?t throw 65 five yard passes per game is pro style. How are we ever going to move the ball ever again!

Cooterpoot
01-20-2023, 11:33 AM
Tried to tell you guys were were about to go back to just pounding the rock. This HC tenure won't last long if that's the case.

mparkerfd20
01-20-2023, 11:36 AM
Tried to tell you guys were were about to go back to just pounding the rock. This HC tenure won't last long if that's the case.

We'll see you miserable ****s. Why can't we just wait and see?

Tbonewannabe
01-20-2023, 11:41 AM

So you think we don't have a chance vs Auburn, A&M, Ark, or Ole Miss?

Do you agree that even with Leach calling the plays, we had zero chance to beat Bama or UGA?

KB21
01-20-2023, 11:42 AM

Good thing is, we have a new AD who has spent almost his entire career around the Air Raid system. When we make this change after two years, I believe Selmon will get us back to the Air Raid.

Prediction? Pain.
01-20-2023, 11:47 AM
Unless I'm missing something, this seems like a hire based soley on Arnett's personal experience with the dude. Arnett was at San Diego St between 2011 and 2019, and every year he was there, so too was Schmidt. Here's Schmidt's coaching bio:

'09 - '11 San Diego State - GA
'12 - '20 San Diego State - Offensive Line
2021 Syracuse - Offensive Line
2022 Syracuse - Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator

The personal angle also makes the most sense because the OL numbers at Syracuse . . . well, they're not great. In 2022, they gave up sacks on 10.3% of all pass attempts. That's good for 126th in the nation. It was just as bad in 2021, when their sack rate was 10%, good for 120th in the nation. Put another way: Syracuse was dead last in the ACC in passes attempted in ACC games. And yet, they were also dead last in the ACC in sacks allowed. Yikes . . . .

To be fair, the OL was just as bad at pass blocking in the two years before he arrived. But it's a bummer that they showed no improved in his two years.

Now, the run blocking wasn't quite so bad, at least not across the board. They were only 8th in the ACC in in-conference yards per carry in 2022, so that's not great, but they were 2nd in '21. And while they were bad at preventing TFLs in both '21 and '22 -- they allowed TFLs or zero-yards-gained on 19.3% of their RB carries in '21 and 18.5% in '22, which rank 90th and 84th nationally -- they were ok to pretty good at other things like gaining first downs on short yardage runs.

confucius say
01-20-2023, 11:50 AM
Sounds like an emphasis on run blocking.
But that probably an unfair speculative conclusion at this point.

msudawg1200
01-20-2023, 11:55 AM
There ain't but one Mike Schmidt

DEDawg
01-20-2023, 12:07 PM
Oh wow I personally hate this hire but will trust ZA on it

KB21
01-20-2023, 12:09 PM
Oh wow I personally hate this hire but will trust ZA on it

Welcome to neanderball.

Homedawg
01-20-2023, 12:18 PM
Welcome to neanderball.

I can assume that Lincoln Riley is considered AR, to you. He ran it 473 times threw it 515, w a Heisman winner. That's pretty balanced. Nobody throws it like leach does. period.

PMDawg
01-20-2023, 12:36 PM

I'm old enough to remember when BlackSailsDawg was telling us to look at Syracuse's offense as an example of where Leach was headed with his air raid. So, one (or both) of you are certainly wrong.

BorneDawg
01-20-2023, 12:38 PM

But you keep on being a special kind of miserable douche. It helps me to picture you like this after you post though.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Really Clark? again.

Coursesuper
01-20-2023, 12:42 PM
Welcome to neanderball.

You are are in more dire need of a blow job than any man in history.

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 12:47 PM
I'm old enough to remember when BlackSailsDawg was telling us to look at Syracuse's offense as an example of where Leach was headed with his air raid. So, one (or both) of you are certainly wrong.

Lol. I forgot about that!!

https://media.tenor.com/JCW-4lIvKhUAAAAC/bigbird-one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-others.gif

DownwardDawg
01-20-2023, 01:11 PM

So awesome!!!!

KOdawg1
01-20-2023, 01:19 PM
If you look up any successful offense in the last 10 years, you'll find that it's most likely balanced. Maybe not exactly 50/50, but 60/40 in both directions.

Idk why some of you fell in love with throwing the ball 70% of the time. We had a mediocre offense. Why are you so hell bent on keeping it? Yes, Barbay is gonna run the ball. No, we're not going back to the Mullen years when we don't throw the ball at all. Get a damn grip.

msu15
01-20-2023, 01:21 PM
Welcome to neanderball.

That would be a better description of our offense the past 3 years than Barbay's. We needed 15 play drives to score just like in the 1940's.

HoopsDawg
01-20-2023, 01:29 PM
I can't blame Arnett for wanting one of his buddies on the staff. It can get lonely at the top without a trusted friend. I hope this guy can coach and recruit. And I hope we don't split the OL up into tackles and guards. Need one voice on the Oline. So hopefully Friend to TE's.

confucius say
01-20-2023, 01:55 PM
I can't blame Arnett for wanting one of his buddies on the staff. It can get lonely at the top without a trusted friend. I hope this guy can coach and recruit. And I hope we don't split the OL up into tackles and guards. Need one voice on the Oline. So hopefully Friend to TE's.

Well we did. He has tackles and TE and Friend has interior OL

sleepy dawg
01-20-2023, 02:04 PM

That's not fair to all of the rest of us who really need blow jobs. We all need a blow job, but that's no excuse to be such an asshole.

Cowbell
01-20-2023, 03:54 PM
You also tried to tell us that we had blown the NC series in baseball due to our pitching rotation at the WS that year....,

TrapGame
01-20-2023, 04:40 PM

That would be a perfectly good waste of a blow job.

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 04:48 PM
That would be a perfectly good waste of a blow job.

Yep. He would complain the whole time about the oral system that was used and blame them for blue balls when they quit because of his attitude.

TrapGame
01-20-2023, 05:03 PM
Yep. He would complain the whole time about the oral system that was used and blame them for blue balls when they quit because of his attitude.

He would complain she wasn't doing it like Linda Lovelace.

State82
01-20-2023, 05:59 PM
He would complain she wasn't doing it like Linda Lovelace.
The LoveRaid was abandoned.

EdwardDrayton
01-20-2023, 07:11 PM

But Covid and politics are off limits. LOL!!!!

dawgoneyall
01-20-2023, 08:25 PM

Einstein's quote about insanity comes to mind.....

Ari Gold
01-21-2023, 10:01 AM
For the uneducated and ones with zero inside Knowledge

A couple of the current staff members on the Que coaching staff said we got a very solid coach
Great with the kids both on and off the field , a real grinder when it comes to his job

Sounds like a pretty solid hire to me

BuckyIsAB****
01-21-2023, 10:25 AM
Ive never met a OL coach that wants the tackles to have their own coach

SpaceBully
01-22-2023, 06:31 AM

Don't think anybody really knows and probably ZA likes it that way.