PDA

View Full Version : A good M&W Nation artilce on Barbay's offense, what to expect, accomplishments, etc.

yjnkdawg
01-19-2023, 12:14 PM
What to Expect From Mississippi State?s Offense in 2023

https://maroonandwhitenation.com/2023/01/17/what-to-expect-from-mississippi-state-football-offense-2023/

From the Schumann Explosive Plays Report:

Current 4 star or better ranked current G5 OCs that in 2022 had an Explosive Pass Rate Percentage above 19% with a top 35 scoring efficiency offense

Chadwell Liberty (HC)
Barbay App State

That is all.

— Dave Bartoo (@CFBMatrix) January 12, 2023

Found this interesting as I was going through updated career grades and performance metrics for OCs after 2022.
Career avg pass game efficiency
1. Barbay
2. Briles
3. Kittley
4. Ruggiero https://t.co/v05UKgY0ze

Out of ALL OCs since 2009 career FBS averages and ranking percentile for Barbay –

QB rating 149.44 (top 25% of all OCS)

Yds/Attempt 7.99 (top 31%)

Pass TD per Attempt (top 16%)

INT per attempt (top 21%)

Total QB Efficiency (top 25%) https://t.co/TqqAx6E42Q

— Dave Bartoo (@CFBMatrix) January 12,

BrunswickDawg
01-19-2023, 12:43 PM
This guy knows nothing. How does he not realize this an old fashioned pro-style offense?****

Really Clark?
01-19-2023, 12:49 PM
This guy knows nothing. How does he not realize this an old fashioned pro-style offense?****

Wait wait wait, Barbay's offense actually uses a forward pass?!? That cannot be accurate.***

662dawg
01-19-2023, 12:54 PM
This is actually a really good article. Sounds like Arnett found a good coach who has modernized his offense. Love the explosive pass plays that his offense calls for.

CoachT14
01-19-2023, 12:54 PM
What to Expect From Mississippi State?s Offense in 2023

https://maroonandwhitenation.com/2023/01/17/what-to-expect-from-mississippi-state-football-offense-2023/

From the Schumann Explosive Plays Report:

Current 4 star or better ranked current G5 OCs that in 2022 had an Explosive Pass Rate Percentage above 19% with a top 35 scoring efficiency offense

Chadwell Liberty (HC)
Barbay App State

That is all.

Found this interesting as I was going through updated career grades and performance metrics for OCs after 2022.
Career avg pass game efficiency
1. Barbay
2. Briles
3. Kittley
4. Ruggiero https://t.co/v05UKgY0ze

Out of ALL OCs since 2009 career FBS averages and ranking percentile for Barbay –

QB rating 149.44 (top 25% of all OCS)

Yds/Attempt 7.99 (top 31%)

Pass TD per Attempt (top 16%)

INT per attempt (top 21%)

Total QB Efficiency (top 25%) https://t.co/TqqAx6E42Q

— Dave Bartoo (@CFBMatrix) January 12,

KB said we were running the triple option. So these are lies.***

662dawg
01-19-2023, 01:06 PM
KB said we were running the triple option. So these are lies.***

Leave him along he wanted to stay with the air raid like TCU runs, which runs the ball more than Barbay's offenses do. 😭🤣😂

yjnkdawg
01-19-2023, 01:33 PM
I'm trying to find that cloud of dust after we run the ball 3 downs every series and then punt***. I can't find any dust or a cloud either, but maybe somebody smarter than me can. :D

KB21
01-19-2023, 01:34 PM
I'm trying to find that cloud of dust after we run the ball 3 downs every series and then punt***. I can't find any dust or a cloud either, but maybe somebody smarter than me can. :D

Go watch film of this offense at Florida when McElwain and Barbay were there.

CoachT14
01-19-2023, 01:39 PM
Leave him along he wanted to stay with the air raid like TCU runs, which runs the ball more than Barbay's offenses do. ������

You mean the AR that UGA ran.

https://media.tenor.com/gaiKIUG-zNoAAAAM/friends-joey-tribbiani.gif

Westdawg
01-19-2023, 01:42 PM

Yeah, he was under McElwain?.but in watching film from UF during that time and also his time at App State, there?s some noticeable growth on his part. But let?s be real here?.UF was no slouch during McElwain?s tenure - he just happened to come along the same time that Bama/Saban were in their absolute prime. Can?t hold that against either of them.

CoachT14
01-19-2023, 01:43 PM

So go to 2017 (6 years ago) and watch the offense that McElwain ran, even though we hired Barbay who isn't McElwain.

https://media.tenor.com/QaGZ50VlEPEAAAAM/think-about-it-use-your-brain.gif

Dawgface
01-19-2023, 01:58 PM
I'm really going to enjoy watching the wishbone this Fall. **

KB21
01-19-2023, 02:25 PM
Yeah, he was under McElwain?.but in watching film from UF during that time and also his time at App State, there?s some noticeable growth on his part. But let?s be real here?.UF was no slouch during McElwain?s tenure - he just happened to come along the same time that Bama/Saban were in their absolute prime. Can?t hold that against either of them.

Florida's offense never rated higher than 100th in scoring offense during McElwain's time there.

662dawg
01-19-2023, 02:36 PM
Florida's offense never rated higher than 100th in scoring offense during McElwain's time there.

You do know that Mcelwain & Barbay are two different people correct? I'm not sure you realize this but they are my man. Barbay runs a modernized offense. It is what it is & there's not really much anything you can say that changes these facts.

yjnkdawg
01-19-2023, 03:12 PM

I really don't see any relevance concerning what Florida's offense did to what Barbay will do at MSU, but keep on trolling if it makes you happy.

BrunswickDawg
01-19-2023, 03:21 PM
You do know that Mcelwain & Barbay are two different people correct? I'm not sure you realize this but they are my man. Barbay runs a modernized offense. It is what it is & there's not really much anything you can say that changes these facts.

Not to mention that Barbary was Director of Player Personnel at UF - he wasn't even an on field coach. Doug Nusmeier was OC at UF

Really Clark?
01-19-2023, 03:22 PM

Barbay wasn't even an on the field coach during that time.

State82
01-19-2023, 03:26 PM

Oops. One minor detail overlooked, but then that would render the argument defenseless.

Commercecomet24
01-19-2023, 03:29 PM

Amazing! Only a minor little detail overlooked.

662dawg
01-19-2023, 03:31 PM
Not to mention that Barbary was Director of Player Personnel at UF - he wasn't even an on field coach. Doug Nusmeier was OC at UF

Yep. KB is a genius 🤦

Thick
01-19-2023, 03:32 PM

Dammit?..that?s going to leave a mark!

yjnkdawg
01-19-2023, 03:34 PM
Oops. One minor detail overlooked, but then that would render the argument defenseless.

Barbay, when he was Director of Player Personnel at UF, secretly called the plays and/or gave McElwain advice on what plays to call, but don't tell anybody as it's a secret. Nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

BrunswickDawg
01-19-2023, 03:38 PM
I really don't see any relevance concerning what Florida's offense did to what Barbay will do at MSU, but keep on trolling if it makes you happy.

None at all. McElwain inherited a shitshow of a culture at UF and was still able to win the East his first two seasons. Then after the sharkfricker incident and the "death threat" incident, the school started finding ways to hobble the program so they could fire him - suspending 9 players for "miss-use of school funds", which was likely a pay for play scheme cooked up during Spurrier's era. Dude never stood a chance there with the culture and the boosters.

Coursesuper
01-19-2023, 04:25 PM

People grow and evolve over time. This is not really a valid point.

HancockCountyDog
01-19-2023, 04:48 PM
I like this offense a lot more than what we were running, but I am concerned about the stark differences in what we are going to be doing.

I just wish we had an extra year for all of our defensive players and the OL that are coming back.

Todd4State
01-19-2023, 05:05 PM
This may be me being naive I don't know. But at CMU he ran an offense like McElwain which makes sense as McElwain was the head coach.

But his offense at Appalachian State looked like what Appalachian State ran in 2021 under Frank Ponce. And it was completely different than what he ran at CMU outside of maybe a couple of formations here and there.

So given what we have I wouldn't be surprised if he runs an offense that's very similar to what we ran last year in 2022.

662dawg
01-19-2023, 05:46 PM
This may be me being naive I don't know. But at CMU he ran an offense like McElwain which makes sense as McElwain was the head coach.

But his offense at Appalachian State looked like what Appalachian State ran in 2021 under Frank Ponce. And it was completely different than what he ran at CMU outside of maybe a couple of formations here and there.

So given what we have I wouldn't be surprised if he runs an offense that's very similar to what we ran last year in 2022.

This is true. I believe he's going to do what's best personal wise while adding the pistol formation & more running game to it. He seems to be that kind of coach. Young with a great innovative mind. Kind of like Arnett but on the offensive side. I bet the run pass ratio is closer to 50/50 than 55/45 run/pass which I'm perfectly fine with.

yjnkdawg
01-19-2023, 06:07 PM

I think his play calling was somewhat restricted due to the App State HC wanting more running plays (most likely), or maybe it was due to his player personnel (less likely). However, I think he wanted to pass the ball more like he did when he was at CMU. I think, as well, that he will adapt his offense to our player personnel and strengths. I think the best offensive plan is take what the defense gives you whether that be passing or running and I think that is what he will do.

KB21
01-19-2023, 07:49 PM
So there are still people who refuse to accept the fact that he runs McElwain?s system.

Prediction? Pain.
01-19-2023, 09:30 PM

I think your observation is right on point. The '21 and '22 App. St. offenses were mirror images statistically. Here are their conference ranks for lots of offensive categories in Sun Belt games the past two years:

https://i.postimg.cc/8P3gn6FJ/Screenshot-2023-01-19-212027.png

That makes sense for a couple of reasons. First, they brought back their starting QB from '21, who was a senior in '22, and their two leading rushers from '21. (The slight dip in the passing numbers also makes sense given that they lost their three leading receivers from '21, all of whom were seniors.)

And second, Barbay said out of the gate that his plan wasn't to change what App. St. was doing but was instead to add wrinkles while retaining what the offensive players did well. Check out this podcast interview with some App. St. dudes before the '22 season started and go to the 1-hour, 25-minute mark:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-app-state-oc-kevin-barbay-edition/id1038313260?i=1000553396384

Over 5 or 10 minutes, he talks about his offensive philosophy. Most of what he says focuses on pretty common ideas -- spread people out, playmakers in space, matchup skill guys on weak defenders, tempo, being aggressive, etc. -- but a couple of other things stuck out. He emphasized his need to study what App. St. had been doing well in previous years so that he could "mesh" his ideas with the offense that was already installed. That dovetailed into his discussion of using playmakers in space and focusing on using what you have -- if your most explosive guys are three RBs, you figure out how to get them the ball in space, but if it's a bunch of WRs, you get those dudes the ball. He also mentioned how his weeks during the season were heavy on situational analytics, like what plays/schemes typically work on specific downs and distances.

I haven't watched tons of film, but looking at App. St.'s offense in '21 vs. Coastal Carolina, it indeed looks pretty similar to what the M&W Nation article says Barbay did in '22:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esn4TYoz6K8&ab_channel=DoABarrowRoll

Barbay also mentions in one point that part of his fit at App. St. was the connection between the head coach Shawn Clark and Jim McElwain and that the overall schemes weren't too different. I didn't catch him saying what that connection was other than the fact that Clark and his staff had visited McElwain's staffs over the years to learn from him, and the only other thing I've found at a quick glance was that Clark was a GA at Louisville while McElwain coached WR there in the early 00s. I'd be interested to know exactly what wrinkles he brought with him to App. St. given the personnel he had there.

I'm of course more curious, though, about what all this means for MSU. Adding wrinkles to a system and then largely keeping intact what the players know how to do makes sense for lots of reasons, but especially so when what you've previously run is similar to what they were doing anyway. But I'm really interested to see how that translates to a team running the Leach air raid over the past three years. Barring a change in QB, and assuming that the flexible approach he touted in his interview before the '22 season is still a priority, maybe that means more continuity for us than the flavor of his '22 offense would otherwise lead us to believe? And if not, what scheme is he going with? The one from App. St. that seems to resemble what App. St. did before his arrival? Or something different? Regardless, I'm excited to watch it play out.

Commercecomet24
01-19-2023, 09:34 PM
I think your observation is right on point. The '21 and '22 App. St. offenses were mirror images statistically. Here are their conference ranks for lots of offensive categories in Sun Belt games the past two years:

That makes sense for a couple of reasons. First, they brought back their starting QB from '21, who was a senior in '22, and their two leading rushers from '21. (The slight dip in the passing numbers also makes sense given that they lost their three leading receivers from '21, all of whom were seniors.)

And second, Barbay said out of the gate that his plan wasn't to change what App. St. was doing but was instead to add wrinkles while retaining what the offensive players did well. Check out this podcast interview with some App. St. dudes before the '22 season started and go to the 1-hour, 25-minute mark:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-app-state-oc-kevin-barbay-edition/id1038313260?i=1000553396384

Over 5 or 10 minutes, he talks about his offensive philosophy. Most of what he says focuses on pretty common ideas -- spread people out, playmakers in space, matchup skill guys on weak defenders, tempo, being aggressive, etc. -- but a couple of other things stuck out. He emphasized his need to study what App. St. had been doing well in previous years so that he could "mesh" his ideas with the offense that was already installed. That dovetailed into his discussion of using playmakers in space and focusing on using what you have -- if your most explosive guys are three RBs, you figure out how to get them the ball in space, but if it's a bunch of WRs, you get those dudes the ball. He also mentioned how his weeks during the season were heavy on situational analytics, like what plays/schemes typically work on specific downs and distances.

I haven't watched tons of film, but looking at App. St.'s offense in '21 vs. Coastal Carolina, it indeed looks pretty similar to what the M&W Nation article says Barbay did in '22:

Barbay also mentions in one point that part of his fit at App. St. was the connection between the head coach Shawn Clark and Jim McElwain and that the overall schemes weren't too different. I didn't catch him saying what that connection was other than the fact that Clark and his staff had visited McElwain's staffs over the years to learn from him, and the only other thing I've found at a quick glance was that Clark was a GA at Louisville while McElwain coached WR there in the early 00s. I'd be interested to know exactly what wrinkles he brought with him to App. St. given the personnel he had there.

I'm of course more curious, though, about what all this means for MSU. Adding wrinkles to a system and then largely keeping intact what the players know how to do makes sense for lots of reasons, but especially so when what you've previously run is similar to what they were doing anyway. But I'm really interested to see how that translates to a team running the Leach air raid over the past three years. Barring a change in QB, and assuming that the flexible approach he touted in his interview before the '22 season is still a priority, maybe that means more continuity for us than the flavor of his '22 offense would otherwise lead us to believe? And if not, what scheme is he going with? The one from App. St. that seems to resemble what App. St. did before his arrival? Or something different? Regardless, I'm excited to watch it play out.

Great stuff as usual, Pain! Thanks!

662dawg
01-19-2023, 10:09 PM

This was a fantastic read.

Todd4State
01-20-2023, 12:35 AM
This is true. I believe he's going to do what's best personal wise while adding the pistol formation & more running game to it. He seems to be that kind of coach. Young with a great innovative mind. Kind of like Arnett but on the offensive side. I bet the run pass ratio is closer to 50/50 than 55/45 run/pass which I'm perfectly fine with.

I agree we'll see some pistol stuff. But right now as I type this I think we may be 60/40 pass/run because of the players that we have. At least for next year.

Awesome as always! I just can't see us doing what App State has been doing. Just doesn't make sense to. Now by 2025 we certainly could look like that. But I feel like he may be a coach searching for his identity or maybe I should say an opportunity to truly do what he wants to do. At CMU he had to do what McElwain wanted. So I guess he decided to go to App State with the intent of turning them into what he wants but maybe he realized that wasn't going to be allowed there. It should be worth noting that App State's head coach also was their OC before he became their head coach and he was an OL coach. They like to run the ball if you believe the football sterotype about OL coaches. So it is very plausible that Clark had some if not a lot of say in the offense. Barbey won't have that issue at MSU.

dawg meat
01-20-2023, 12:38 AM

First off, I'd like to say that I am a long-time lurker on this board and truly enjoy reading about the many ups and downs that many posters bring to this site. I would like to say that Prediction? Pain certainly deserves some rep and wish he would post more than he does because he delivers the facts and analytics with more positivity than anyone else. Also, doesn't cut other fans down, unlike some of the unrelenting, bickering, back and forth bs that I have to sift through to read good quality posts like this.
I will try to follow good psychological advice and not even engage with the personality type that wants to constantly argue like what I've seen fill up every single thread here lately. I wish others wouldn't either, but I understand, it's extremely difficult to do when some folks don't get what Mike Leach really brought to STATE. It was more than just the Air Raid system. He brought a winning culture with him and that, to me, is worth more than a playbook.
In all reality, even if Arnett had hired an Air Raid guy, the offense was going to be more run heavy. That's just a fact. Just because someone comes from the same coaching tree doesn't mean you're getting the same thing as the guy he learned from. This is what I think the issue is with folks hung up on the "Air Raid guys" and them hating on Barbay coming from a McElwain system. Good coaches will see what works, tweak it, be very flexible with playcalling, and add new things that they pick up along the way.
It truly sucks that Leach is gone now, but we must move on, and I am confident that the culture needed to succeed was ingrained into Arnett. I trust he's got the man for the job in Barbay. Sure, there may be some growing pains. There are with most new coaching staffs, but this post (along with a few others showing game film) has given me the confidence that we can continue the winning culture that The Pirate left us with.
HAIL STATE and gtfhom!

KB21
01-20-2023, 12:41 AM
So, Barbay mentions how much influence Jim McElwain has had on him as a play caller.

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 07:02 AM
So, Barbay mentions how much influence Jim McElwain has had on him as a play caller.

https://media.tenor.com/HxGuhQ58gNMAAAAC/reddit-meme.gif

CoachT14
01-20-2023, 07:10 AM

I hope your message board attitude doesn?t leak into your personal life, cause you?d be a miserable prick to be around.

And I say that as someone that hates overly positive posting. You can?t even critique constructively.

Pancho
01-20-2023, 07:52 AM
Leach instilled a tough as nails mentality at all times in his players and minus the SEC officials in Memphis(21), won 9 games 2 years in a row. I was always intrigued by the air raid and Leach was slowly doing his best to continue being competitive even though in my opinion the O was still lacking. I'm cool with Barbay and the App State system but the bottom line will be whether we can execute and score consistently on 4 and 5 star SEC defenses.

KB21
01-20-2023, 09:53 AM
Imagine having a coach who grew up and coached at the high school level in Texas who says his biggest influences as far as his play calling and philosophy goes is Greg Davis and Jim McElwain and not Mike Leach.

KB21
01-20-2023, 10:07 AM
Arnett is hiring another OL coach for his new ground and pound offense.

662dawg
01-20-2023, 10:21 AM

One is likely coaching TE's. Our offense will be significantly better in '23 & you can screenshot this. Stop being a whiney nerd my man.

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 10:21 AM

https://media.tenor.com/ErCqiUaN4kgAAAAC/dumb-huh.gif

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 10:22 AM

https://tenor.com/view/dumb-huh-stupid-idiot-gif-25673400

KB21
01-20-2023, 10:50 AM
I'm more convinced now than I ever was that we made a mistake in not conducting a proper head coaching search. Get ready to watch our running backs run up the gut for 2 yards over and over and over again.

Ari Gold
01-20-2023, 11:14 AM
I'm more convinced now than I ever was that we made a mistake in not conducting a proper head coaching search. Get ready to watch our running backs run up the gut for 2 yards over and over and over again.

Well if they can just 3 yards up the gut over and over agin , first down every time..

PMDawg
01-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Well if they can just 3 yards up the gut over and over agin , first down every time..

Just wait until the Spring Game. LOL. If the offense doesn't put up a TD on every drive, this guy is gonna destroy the board for a while.

msu15
01-20-2023, 12:49 PM

Yea you're a troll

HancockCountyDog
01-20-2023, 12:49 PM
Just wait until the Spring Game. LOL. If the offense doesn't put up a TD on every drive, this guy is gonna destroy the board for a while.

What is really frustrating is that for those of us who are a little concerned that the offense does appear to be making a significant change can't say sh!t because I don't want to get lumped in with this idiot.

I think it is ok to be a little concerned about the change in system that is coming. I don't think it is ok to think we hired Paul Johnson.

Commercecomet24
01-20-2023, 12:52 PM
What is really frustrating is that for those of us who are a little concerned that the offense does appear to be making a significant change can't say sh!t because I don't want to get lumped in with this idiot.

I think it is ok to be a little concerned about the change in system that is coming. I don't think it is ok to think we hired Paul Johnson.

Have some rep!

CoachT14
01-20-2023, 12:56 PM

Paul Johnson is AR though. He ran mesh sometimes. According to KB that's AR since Monken ran mesh and he's labeling him as AR.

Really Clark?
01-20-2023, 12:57 PM

You are right, it is understandable for someone to be concerned. None us ultimately know how good or bad or average the offense will be. I think it was a good hire but can see where others have concerns.

tireddawg
01-20-2023, 01:11 PM
So there are still people who refuse to accept the fact that he runs McElwain?s system.

Dude I wasn?t super excited about Barbay either due to the McElwain connection, but then I looked into it a little further. You should too.

The first thing you should look at is the offense the year before he got there compared to his offense his first year. It?s basically the same O. He?s not going to make wholesale changes his first year at State, but he?ll gradually & progressively tweak things to his liking. He?s not an idiot like Moorhead. I think it?s a pretty good hire, could?ve done worse.

This is the guy ZA wanted. Argue with him

tireddawg
01-20-2023, 01:14 PM
Get ready to watch our running backs run up the gut for 2 yards over and over and over again.

This is just silly

HancockCountyDog
01-20-2023, 01:23 PM
You are right, it is understandable for someone to be concerned. None us ultimately know how good or bad or average the offense will be. I think it was a good hire but can see where others have concerns.

In a vacuum I really like the hire. I like the offense he runs, my only concern is that I think we need a dual threat QB to really thrive and he hasn't really had that in a while, which is a blessing and a curse. Its a blessing because Will is not mobile so he really does fit this offense well, it doesn't require a dynamic QB. In fact, I think it plays to Will's strengths of good ball placement and protecting the ball overall. I think it is a bit of a curse because I think to win in the SEC at MSU your QB needs to be a running threat. It is simply a numbers issue. I don't think we can win consistently letting the defense not have to scheme against a mobile QB. This offense doesn't do that. I've watched more App State games in the last week, and I'm not convinced this offense can work right away with what we have on the OL. They really drive off the ball and are quick, and require their OL to get to the second level in the run game, this is not something we have had to do in awhile, since we haven't seen teams with 7 or 8 men in the box in at least 3 years. Maybe we can, but it is just not something we have tried to do in the last 3 years.

One of the underrated parts of their offense is the run blocking of their WR's. We have at least 3 WR's that won't be big in the run game, and I think we need to find at least 1 maybe 2 bigger WR's that can not only win the jump ball against 1 on 1 coverage, but are hell on wheels in the run game.

I do hope they incorporate a running QB once we have that as an option and I also hope we find some TE's/FB because they sure do utilize those guys.

PMDawg
01-20-2023, 01:54 PM

Yeah, I can buy that. I think most of us can distinguish between the two. Of course there's reason for concern. We made a coaching change, and it happened because our one of a kind coach died. There is plenty of room for healthy apprehension and a "wait and see" attitude. I think everyone is at least a little fearful of the outcome. We replaced an old vet with a unique system for a 1st time head coach who doesn't even have a known system. There are a few guys on the board who have gone completely overboard, but they're easy to spot and differentiate from the rest of the crowd.