PDA

View Full Version : Month to baseball

msstate7
01-15-2023, 09:25 PM
Please tell me we will rebound

CaptainObvious
01-15-2023, 09:31 PM
I don?t feel real good about it. Dogs got better but everybody else got better too. I think we will finish something like 32-24, 12-18 SEC, maybe 13-17 SEC.

CaptainObvious
01-15-2023, 09:32 PM
Focus more on Javelin and 4X4 400 meters.

Coach34
01-15-2023, 09:38 PM
We will be better and should be a Top 25 baseball team. Solid line-up and pitching depth

StarkVegasSteve
01-15-2023, 09:54 PM
Just like last year it will come down to pitching and the depth there. If our bullpen is as bad as it was last year then we'll struggle again. We can't again get to the point where we're having to overextend starters because of no confidence in the bullpen. Also, WE HAVE TO STAY HEALTHY.

Commercecomet24
01-15-2023, 10:58 PM
If we don't get the "arm flu" this year and lose half our pitching again we'll be a top 20 team. Lineup is really good.

Todd4State
01-15-2023, 11:05 PM
If we don't rebound we will be looking for another pitching coach in about five months.

We'll probably be fine. I think we could make a Super Regional and should be no worse than a regional participant as a 2 or 3.

Commercecomet24
01-15-2023, 11:12 PM
I honestly don't remember a pitching staff have the amount of injuries we had last year. It was unreal.

AlSwearengen
01-15-2023, 11:19 PM
I honestly don't remember a pitching staff have the amount of injuries we had last year. It was unreal.

Commerce, are you getting old? Wasn?t too long ago we had what seemed like an epidemic of tommy john. We blame it on the midget coach that is at lsu now and his weighted balls.

Commercecomet24
01-15-2023, 11:53 PM
Commerce, are you getting old? Wasn?t too long ago we had what seemed like an epidemic of tommy john. We blame it on the midget coach that is at lsu now and his weighted balls.

Yes I am getting old! And the older I get the more my memory suffers lol! I guess I tried to block the Wes Johnson tj outbreak from my mind.

StarkVegasSteve
01-16-2023, 12:00 AM
Yea I want to say we had either 7 or 8 TJ's in 17. Last year was worse because of when they happened. At least with 17 almost all of them happened before the season. The one's last year happened in season.

Commercecomet24
01-16-2023, 12:03 AM
Yea I want to say we had either 7 or 8 TJ's in 17. Last year was worse because of when they happened. At least with 17 almost all of them happened before the season. The one's last year happened in season.

Yeah and that's probably why I remember last years so vividly, it sucked!

MadDawg
01-16-2023, 09:50 AM
Here's hoping for a winning record this year!

WSOPdawg
01-16-2023, 10:09 AM

Our pitching coach then (Wes Johnson) recently left the Minn Twins to become PC for LSU. Wonder if he's still making pitchers throw water-logged balls as training?

basedog
01-16-2023, 10:18 AM
Hearing so far things are ok. That is all. Yes we had some really bad luck with our staff last year. No reason we shouldn't be back in regionals. Where and how far we advance is the question.

We are a baseball school, always have been, always will be.

CaptainObvious
01-16-2023, 12:06 PM
Lemonis won a NC with somebody else?s recruits and a little luck 2 years ago. Last year, we had injuries at key spots for sure, but the pitching depth wasn?t there.

I?m skeptical, but it is all a Lemonis team now. Let?s see how he does with only HIS recruits.

StarkVegasSteve
01-16-2023, 12:30 PM
Our pitching coach then (Wes Johnson) recently left the Minn Twins to become PC for LSU. Wonder if he's still making pitchers throw water-logged balls as training?

He was a deciding factor in 3 of their transfer pitchers so whatever he is doing is appealing to some players.

Homedawg
01-16-2023, 12:52 PM
Lemonis won a NC with somebody else?s recruits and a little luck 2 years ago. Last year, we had injuries at key spots for sure, but the pitching depth wasn?t there.

I?m skeptical, but it is all a Lemonis team now. Let?s see how he does with only HIS recruits.

actually these aren't all his recruits. Heck, Hancock was a Cohen commit. Still have several Can guys on it. It's getting closer but still not his entire roster, yet.

confucius say
01-16-2023, 01:34 PM
actually these aren't all his recruits. Heck, Hancock was a Cohen commit. Still have several Can guys on it. It's getting closer but still not his entire roster, yet.

Also, we don't win crap without Bednar turning into the Hulk. And Bednar was a lemonis guy.

As an aside, I sometimes think how out of Bednar and sims, two of our best ever, we only got 1 year from each. Wild.

maroonmania
01-16-2023, 02:11 PM
Also, we don't win crap without Bednar turning into the Hulk. And Bednar was a lemonis guy.

As an aside, I sometimes think how out of Bednar and sims, two of our best ever, we only got 1 year from each. Wild.

And only one year from our first rounder JT Ginn. We are MState. Just really glad the one good year we got out of Bednar and Sims was the same year.

WSOPdawg
01-16-2023, 02:50 PM
And only one year from our first rounder JT Ginn. We are MState. Just really glad the one good year we got out of Bednar and Sims was the same year.

Plus finding the diamonds like Preston Johnson and Hooty gave us 4 strong pitchers that we were able to make a run with.

Johnson85
01-16-2023, 03:00 PM

Seems like getting one year of good pitching out of an MLB prospect isn't that unusual. Didn't we basically only get one year from Stratton also? We didn't get any out of the guy that played in biloxi for a little while whose name escapes me, but he had one year with an injury I think and basically just ran out of time before he got his control figured out.

BuckyIsAB****
01-16-2023, 03:18 PM
I wish it would hurry up. I want to beat LSU as bad as I want to breathe. College basketball has just fallen so hard on my priority list it almost feels like July already

State82
01-16-2023, 03:36 PM
We didn't get any out of the guy that played in biloxi for a little while whose name escapes me, but he had one year with an injury I think and basically just ran out of time before he got his control figured out.

Brandon Woodruff. He just agreed on a one year deal with the Brewers worth $10.8 million.

BeardoMSU
01-17-2023, 09:55 AM
D1's preseason top 25....welp....

https://d1baseball.com/rankings/2023-d1baseball-preseason-top-25-rankings/

StarkVegasSteve
01-17-2023, 10:30 AM

We cannot expect to be ranked with how bad we were last year. Very surprised to see Ole Miss that high.

smootness
01-17-2023, 10:49 AM

Yeah, but they ranked our freshman class #2 and our transfer class #4. So we should definitely have more talent, it's just a question of maturity/experience and how quickly the new guys get up to speed. We should definitely be better than last year by quite a bit, no question.

ArrowDawg
01-17-2023, 11:00 AM
All I care about right now is that OM doesn't ever win another title. I can't handle that. It's bad enough already that they won a title just a year after us, after it took us so long to finally break through.

Todd4State
01-17-2023, 06:44 PM
Yeah, but they ranked our freshman class #2 and our transfer class #4. So we should definitely have more talent, it's just a question of maturity/experience and how quickly the new guys get up to speed. We should definitely be better than last year by quite a bit, no question.

Comes down to pitching for us. We should be fine.

Todd4State
01-17-2023, 06:46 PM
All I care about right now is that OM doesn't ever win another title. I can't handle that. It's bad enough already that they won a title just a year after us, after it took us so long to finally break through.

The only reason they even care somewhat about baseball is because of us. The season they had was similar to Fresno State when they won it all.

The Federalist Engineer
01-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Plus finding the diamonds like Preston Johnson and Hooty gave us 4 strong pitchers that we were able to make a run with.

I think we have a Hooty and Preston Johnson this year. We will need to see in live games who can be War Horse Ace. I think Cade is that, just needs a partner or two

maroonmania
01-17-2023, 10:03 PM

I can't stand that bunch and I literally hate they got a title to match ours. But objectively speaking I don't think I've ever seen a team pitch as well as they did through the entire NCAA tournament. And it didn't seem to matter who they put on the mound. Only game they lost the entire way was a 3-2 game in Omaha. I don't see how they will ever be able to replicate that again.

Todd4State
01-17-2023, 11:15 PM
I think we have a Hooty and Preston Johnson this year. We will need to see in live games who can be War Horse Ace. I think Cade is that, just needs a partner or two

I'd keep an eye on Nate Dohm, Pico, Colby Holcombe, Loftin, and Clijente as guys that we could tandem.

Todd4State
01-17-2023, 11:15 PM
I can't stand that bunch and I literally hate they got a title to match ours. But objectively speaking I don't think I've ever seen a team pitch as well as they did through the entire NCAA tournament. And it didn't seem to matter who they put on the mound. Only game they lost the entire way was a 3-2 game in Omaha. I don't see how they will ever be able to replicate that again.

I think it's baseball karma for us bragging about our National Championship too much.

WSOPdawg
01-17-2023, 11:18 PM
I think it's baseball karma for us bragging about our National Championship too much.

Actually lends credence to us "living in the Matrix"... (kidding but not kidding, lol).

Todd4State
01-18-2023, 12:55 AM
Actually lends credence to us "living in the Matrix"... (kidding but not kidding, lol).

It probably sounds silly- but I do believe in baseball gods. Emphasis on the little g as a Christian.

Real or not- baseball will absolutely humble you quicker than any sport out there. At the end of the day the biggest thing we did wrong IMO was stay loyal to too many players that were on the 2021 team instead of hitting the portal hard to fill certain needs. I've never seen a MSU team so RHP heavy in my life as last years. Our team just wasn't built very well. We could have used a SS and a CF as well as about 2-3 LHP. I suspect with all of the injury issues we had some S&C issues.

MSU fans and MSU baseball people are great in that they are very nice people. They want to see everyone succeed. But they also want to win big- as they should. The problem is you can't make everyone happy and be nice and still win big. If you let your guard down for one minute you're getting passed.

Todd4State
01-18-2023, 01:06 AM

Yes. I'm replying to the same post twice.

Another thing about Ole Miss and MSU is that we have to realize that the SEC has become head and shoulders above the rest of the college baseball world. It's getting to the point where the only teams that have a chance to win a title are SEC teams. Which means that we're going to see people like Arkansas and Tennessee win one eventually. And probably people like Ole Miss win more. That said- it also means that we'll likely win more National Championships as well. Once Texas joins the SEC the only non-SEC teams that might have a chance to win a National Championship are a select few like Florida State and Oregon State and even Oregon State may have that bubble burst if it hasn't already. The problem that the PAC 12 has is with their portal they're losing players as well as local recruits to SEC schools. See Jacob Gonzalez as an example. It's killing the quality of their league.

This trend has actually been going on since 2015 I believe. It's been MSU, Ole Miss, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, and Vanderbilt in the finals recently.

And don't be surprised if Auburn and Alabama join the party soon too especially with Cohen at Auburn. I can't see South Carolina being down forever. Then the rest of the conference is basically schools in high population areas like Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M, and Texas that can emerge at any time.

TNDawg35
01-18-2023, 06:19 AM
Yes. I'm replying to the same post twice.

Another thing about Ole Miss and MSU is that we have to realize that the SEC has become head and shoulders above the rest of the college baseball world. It's getting to the point where the only teams that have a chance to win a title are SEC teams. Which means that we're going to see people like Arkansas and Tennessee win one eventually. And probably people like Ole Miss win more. That said- it also means that we'll likely win more National Championships as well. Once Texas joins the SEC the only non-SEC teams that might have a chance to win a National Championship are a select few like Florida State and Oregon State and even Oregon State may have that bubble burst if it hasn't already. The problem that the PAC 12 has is with their portal they're losing players as well as local recruits to SEC schools. See Jacob Gonzalez as an example. It's killing the quality of their league.

This trend has actually been going on since 2015 I believe. It's been MSU, Ole Miss, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, and Vanderbilt in the finals recently.

And don't be surprised if Auburn and Alabama join the party soon too especially with Cohen at Auburn. I can't see South Carolina being down forever. Then the rest of the conference is basically schools in high population areas like Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M, and Texas that can emerge at any time.

This is baseball. Everyone always has a chance...

maroonmania
01-18-2023, 08:23 AM

Yep, it's the total polar opposite of college football.

Todd4State
01-18-2023, 08:56 AM

True but some have a better chance than others.

WSOPdawg
01-18-2023, 09:07 AM
It probably sounds silly- but I do believe in baseball gods. Emphasis on the little g as a Christian.

Real or not- baseball will absolutely humble you quicker than any sport out there. At the end of the day the biggest thing we did wrong IMO was stay loyal to too many players that were on the 2021 team instead of hitting the portal hard to fill certain needs. I've never seen a MSU team so RHP heavy in my life as last years. Our team just wasn't built very well. We could have used a SS and a CF as well as about 2-3 LHP. I suspect with all of the injury issues we had some S&C issues.

Agree 100%, Todd. The celebration was great, but lasted too long. Shoring up the weaknesses on the team for the '22 campaign felt timid and limited. We definitely should have been trying to capitalize immediately on the Omaha run by getting talented upgrades to transfer in.

State82
01-18-2023, 09:29 AM
The celebration was great, but lasted too long. Shoring up the weaknesses on the team for the '22 campaign felt timid and limited.

Yeah, the Natty and arm issues got a pass for a year. But, in the words of our beloved and immortal Pirate, "that was last year!" Not this year...time to go. Doesn't have to be another Omaha trip but it better be a regional trip somewhere. Even if that's as far as it goes.

StarkVegasSteve
01-18-2023, 02:08 PM
Agree 100%, Todd. The celebration was great, but lasted too long. Shoring up the weaknesses on the team for the '22 campaign felt timid and limited. We definitely should have been trying to capitalize immediately on the Omaha run by getting talented upgrades to transfer in.

Some tried to tell everyone that. But instead we had middle aged men and women telling them their s*** didn't stink and wanting selfies with them MONTHS after it happened, which was weird any way you look at it. It's ok to honor them with their little parade, but that should've been it. July 2nd should've turned the page to going for the next one. Because all that happened was they bought into that crap that they were the greatest players ever and they could just show up and win. 4 players won us Omaha. Bednar, Sims, Harding, Johnson.

BuckyIsAB****
01-18-2023, 11:59 PM
Some tried to tell everyone that. But instead we had middle aged men and women telling them their s*** didn't stink and wanting selfies with them MONTHS after it happened, which was weird any way you look at it. It's ok to honor them with their little parade, but that should've been it. July 2nd should've turned the page to going for the next one. Because all that happened was they bought into that crap that they were the greatest players ever and they could just show up and win. 4 players won us Omaha. Bednar, Sims, Harding, Johnson.

I think all of them won it. Kellum Clark had a couple dagger HRs and Tanner Leggett had the biggest hit in the history of the school. Tanner Allen Hr against Virginia. Forsythe playing great defense. Braylon Skinner with the greatest stolen base in school history. You could add more.

All that said, the hangover did last too long. It showed. The leaders of that team left and Sims got hurt. That was all it took. Logan Tanner Cumbest and Kellum didnt take charge. Hancock really tried I think but he is one guy. Last year was absolutely unacceptable. I am totally behind them and cant wait for it to start

Todd4State
01-19-2023, 12:23 AM

The reality is we would have made the regionals had our pitching not gotten completed decimated with injuries.

I did notice what you were talking about with the selfies. I think part of that is them winning a National Championship for the first time ever in school history and also some of that is the small town nature of Starkville. It's funny to me because I've seen people in Starkville walk up to a player and invite them over to their house for dinner or talk to them like they know the player personally and the player has no idea who the hell that person is. LOL.

Johnson85
01-19-2023, 09:57 AM
I think all of them won it. Kellum Clark had a couple dagger HRs and Tanner Leggett had the biggest hit in the history of the school. Tanner Allen Hr against Virginia. Forsythe playing great defense. Braylon Skinner with the greatest stolen base in school history. You could add more.

All that said, the hangover did last too long. It showed. The leaders of that team left and Sims got hurt. That was all it took. Logan Tanner Cumbest and Kellum didnt take charge. Hancock really tried I think but he is one guy. Last year was absolutely unacceptable. I am totally behind them and cant wait for it to start

I don't know if it was leadership as much as it was just a lack of high end talent. Or at least high end talent playing somewhere near their potential. Needed somebody like Kellum to emerge as a big time player. He didn't. Logan Tanner did everything you could ask behind the plate but didn't produce on offense like you'd hope. Hancock played at his potential, but at the end of the day, as good as he is at getting on base and as great as it is to have the type of player that is willing and able to play first or catcher or DH or do whatever it takes to make the team better, he's still basically a phenomenal glue guy, not a high end talent. Cumbest got better but just wasn't quite there. Hines was a nice surprise. You put one really good offensive player with that group and it really changes the offense. Still would have had challenges with pitching, and the offense was okay regardless, but was hoping the players stepping up in Omaha were figuring things out, not just having a hot streak.

WSOPdawg
01-19-2023, 07:44 PM
I don't know if it was leadership as much as it was just a lack of high end talent. Or at least high end talent playing somewhere near their potential. Needed somebody like Kellum to emerge as a big time player. He didn't. Logan Tanner did everything you could ask behind the plate but didn't produce on offense like you'd hope...Hines was a nice surprise. You put one really good offensive player with that group and it really changes the offense.

"one really good offensive player" = an ALPHA Dog (aka, a Mangum, TA, Rooker) that drives the team. Offensively, we still scored close to what we scored in our Omaha run but it was the key late-inning hit in the close SEC games that we were missing. I'm really hoping Ledbetter (this year) and Dakota Jordan (next two years) push into the Alpha Dog category we need.

Homedawg
01-19-2023, 11:11 PM
Offense wasn't the problem. We lost our alpha pitcher that caused a domino... then lost our best out of the pen to top it off. W others.

Pancho
01-20-2023, 07:35 AM
Foxhall needs quality friday and saturday starting arms and a sure closer. Fox's seat will be steamy hot if these guys aren't located on this roster.

KOdawg1
01-20-2023, 10:51 AM
I'm not worried about our offense. I think we'll put runs up.

I worry about our rotation. We need some guys to step up

WSOPdawg
01-20-2023, 12:05 PM
I'm not worried about our offense. I think we'll put runs up.

I worry about our rotation. We need some guys to step up

I?m cautiously optimistic with regards to our pitching staff. Last year?s injuries forced so many of our pitchers out of their normal rotation spots & our limited depth was greatly exposed. I really like the way we re-tooled our pitching staff? again, cautiously optimistic.