PDA

View Full Version : Baseball - Bradley Loftin - Left Handed Freshman

The Federalist Engineer
01-14-2023, 12:59 AM
Saw these pictures of Loftin throwing, dated 12/27/22

His fall ended early, so he did not pitch in the scrimmages vs Alabama.

This is one of MSU's top freshmen. With Loftin (FR), Pico Kohn (SO), Tyler Davis (JR), and Graham Yntema (JR) seems the team has a huge upgrade in LHP vs 2022. Lofin and Kohn are true Blue Chip HS talents. Davis is a Friday night transfer from VCU, so he is a very good player with experience. Yntema is a JC transfer with stats that signal lots of promise.

Yntema throws in the High-80's but strikes out lots of hitters. Total JC stats don't look stellar but gave up most of his hits and runs in the last 4 appearances. Un-Hittable in his first 42 innings and then had a rough final 13 innings to end his season. Even 10 or the 25 walks happened in that last 13 innings. Curious.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FlBf-nTWIAMOIt2?format=jpg&name=large

Todd4State
01-14-2023, 02:20 AM
Gonna have to have some transfers come through. Mostly on the mound of course.

Biggest issue is we don't have an ace. Unless someone like Parker Stinnett pulls off a Chris Stratton.

I can't see Loftin in the rotation for now. Maybe midweek.

Kohn is kind of a good college player guy. Someone that could stay four years and be a good leader. Every team needs those kinds of guys.

AlSwearengen
01-14-2023, 08:39 AM
Todd hits the nail. At this point, C. Smith is probably a Saturday type guy and then we have a few Sunday guys. Maybe some or all make a jump. I think we have more arms with potential than we did last year, but several are going to have to step up and command consistently.

Hope I?m wrong, but I don?t think we are going to have the pitching to finish above middle of the pack SEC, which would still be a good season. That, in my mind, is best case scenario.

Homedawg
01-14-2023, 10:18 AM
Todd hits the nail. At this point, C. Smith is probably a Saturday type guy and then we have a few Sunday guys. Maybe some or all make a jump. I think we have more arms with potential than we did last year, but several are going to have to step up and command consistently.

Hope I?m wrong, but I don?t think we are going to have the pitching to finish above middle of the pack SEC, which would still be a good season. That, in my mind, is best case scenario.

Dohm, Nixon, gartman all have to be big factors if we want to be too half of the league. Until they do it here, I understand the skepticism.

maroonmania
01-14-2023, 10:47 AM
Unless we have some pitchers perform significantly above expectations, I think we are a middle of the pack SEC team at best this season. Would love to be wrong though.

WSOPdawg
01-14-2023, 11:03 AM

This is one of MSU's top freshmen. With Loftin (FR), Pico Kohn (SO), Tyler Davis (JR), and Graham Yntema (JR) seems the team has a huge upgrade in LHP vs 2022. Lofin and Kohn are true Blue Chip HS talents. Davis is a Friday night transfer from VCU, so he is a very good player with experience. Yntema is a JC transfer with stats that signal lots of promise.

Don't forget about our ambidextrous prodigy Lo Cijente (I know I mis-spelled his name). I can't remember the last time we had so much LHP, but I think it's especially awesome for 2024.

The Federalist Engineer
01-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Don't forget about our ambidextrous prodigy Lo Cijente (I know I mis-spelled his name). I can't remember the last time we had so much LHP, but I think it's especially awesome for 2024.

I got to see that for myself, against hitters from Southern Miss, Georgia, and Arizona State.

I know he has a primary arm and the other is good. But is it D1 good? SEC good?

There is probably a good reason you see switch hitters and almost Zero switch pitchers.

KOdawg1
01-14-2023, 12:30 PM
I'm excited about the season.

I don't have too high expectations, but it's kinda hard to be worse than last year.

The Federalist Engineer
01-14-2023, 12:38 PM

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we are going to have the pitching to finish above middle of the pack SEC, which would still be a good season. That, in my mind, is best case scenario.

I think Cade and Beef did better than their stats in 2022. They were stretched and stressed because the pen was not good. Lemonis let good starts become rough cause he needed something left for Sunday.

Last year, the pen was trotting out cats with +9 ERAs for SEC middle relief.

Not every prospect is going to pan out, but last year's pitching was historically bad. Like we were cursed with some evil. MSU usually gets a Houston Harding, Chuck Holly, John Harden, Ross Mitchell, or Girodo surprise from a player than scouts that did not fancy. Last year, we got nothing but injuries and Paul Young mental flops.

WSOPdawg
01-14-2023, 07:26 PM
I think Cade and Beef did better than their stats in 2022. They were stretched and stressed because the pen was not good. Lemonis let good starts become rough cause he needed something left for Sunday.

Last year, the pen was trotting out cats with +9 ERAs for SEC middle relief.

Not every prospect is going to pan out, but last year's pitching was historically bad. Like we were cursed with some evil. MSU usually gets a Houston Harding, Chuck Holly, John Harden, Ross Mitchell, or Girodo surprise from a player than scouts that did not fancy. Last year, we got nothing but injuries and Paul Young mental flops.

Jaxon Fristoe - is he still with the team? Lemonis kept trying him as the closer last year because he liked his stuff. If he's still around, he could also be one to take that leap forward.

Coach34
01-14-2023, 07:44 PM
Dont have a Friday night guy? Did Hunt get hurt or disappear?

Fristoe signed with the Yankees

The Federalist Engineer
01-14-2023, 08:28 PM
Jaxon Fristoe - is he still with the team? Lemonis kept trying him as the closer last year because he liked his stuff. If he's still around, he could also be one to take that leap forward.

He's gone. I don't think we were going to get a leap there.

You could say, he felt that way himself and took a mid-round pick to move on.

WSOPdawg
01-14-2023, 10:47 PM
Dont have a Friday night guy? Did Hunt get hurt or disappear?

Fristoe signed with the Yankees

Pretty sure KC Hunt came back. He should be one of our big 3 this year.

Todd4State
01-14-2023, 11:57 PM

I'm not sure he has a rotation spot locked down. He could start. He also could be a multi inning relief guy.

If you ask me our rotation is going to be Stinnett Fri, Cade Smith Sat, and Landon Gartman Sun. Hunt or one of the freshmen could compete and get the Sunday spot and then we end up using Gartman like we used Houston Harding.

BeardoMSU
01-15-2023, 12:00 AM
I'm not sure he has a rotation spot locked down. He could start. He also could be a multi inning relief guy.

If you ask me our rotation is going to be Stinnett Fri, Cade Smith Sat, and Landon Gartman Sun. Hunt or one of the freshmen could compete and get the Sunday spot and then we end up using Gartman like we used Houston Harding.

Parker on Fri....oh, boy.

Todd4State
01-15-2023, 12:00 AM
He's gone. I don't we were going to get a leap there.

You could say, he felt that way himself and took a mid-round pick to move on.

We'll never know. I don't think Foxhall's style really fit him that well IMO. He's better if he works down in the zone. We also repeatedly put him in some shitty situations and it's hard to build confidence when you kept being brought into a bases loaded no outs situation with the game on the line every time it seems like and you're already struggling with your command.

Todd4State
01-15-2023, 12:05 AM

He was by far our best pitcher in the fall and it wasn't even close.

He is not good as a relief pitcher. Not sure if it's the mental aspect of it or he takes longer to get loose- whatever it is he struggles with it.

As a starting pitcher he was actually Ok. And then he got hurt which I think affected him his last couple of starts which were pretty bad. But before those two starts starting in Biloxi he was pretty good outside of the Georgia series.

Don't be surprised if he's our next guy who struggled for two years and then blows up as a SEC ace.

The Federalist Engineer
01-15-2023, 12:45 AM

Seems that if Stinnett is Friday, our recruiting and portal work is pretty horrible these last two seasons.

Seriously, most SEC teams sport 1st round talent on Friday, this dude has not even looked D1 for MSU.

Pancho
01-15-2023, 08:40 AM
with the key phrase being "has not" yet..................

WSOPdawg
01-15-2023, 10:55 AM
Seems that if Stinnett is Friday, our recruiting and portal work is pretty horrible these last two seasons.

Seriously, most SEC teams sport 1st round talent on Friday, this dude has not even looked D1 for MSU.

Last year when Parker was healthy, he pitched the BEST game we had all year against top-10 Texas Tech with 12 strikeouts to only 3 BBs. If he can get past the mental hurdles and stay healthy, he definitely could be one of the ones we're talking about making the BIG jump. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Quaoarsking
01-15-2023, 11:04 AM
Don't forget about our ambidextrous prodigy Lo Cijente (I know I mis-spelled his name).

Is he going to switch arms during the game, or be like two separate pitchers each weekend?

Imagine a future year where he's our Friday (LHP) and Saturday (RHP) starter.

Or if he's switching during the game, imagine a future where he goes 9 innings each Friday night.

Homedawg
01-15-2023, 11:26 AM
Switches during the inning. His body, core, legs etc can't do a Friday /sat.

No BS Dawg
01-15-2023, 11:30 AM

Hunt needs to have shown some drastic improvement from last year. I honestly don?t know that we have any ?big? anybody on the pitching staff. I?d say we are below average by SEC standards in starting pitching. Hope to make the post season and have developed a few guys through the season and meet some teams that haven?t been though our gauntlet. If those things happen and we are hitting a stride, who knows, lots of things can happen.

Saltydog
01-15-2023, 11:45 AM
Anybody know the progress on Stone Simmons? Not sure if we're expecting him back this year or not.........

Saltydog
01-15-2023, 11:50 AM
Gonna have to have some transfers come through. Mostly on the mound of course.

Biggest issue is we don't have an ace. Unless someone like Parker Stinnett pulls off a Chris Stratton.

I can't see Loftin in the rotation for now. Maybe midweek.

Kohn is kind of a good college player guy. Someone that could stay four years and be a good leader. Every team needs those kinds of guys.

Yeah I agree. I do think we're going to be pretty decent offensively though. I think the staff could be pretty good in due time once guys settle into roles. There's some decent arms there. IF Stinnett could get his shit together, he can be a game changer. Remember how he pitched against Texas Tech a couple of years ago down in Biloxi. He definitely has Friday night stuff.

WSOPdawg
01-15-2023, 12:11 PM
Hunt needs to have shown some drastic improvement from last year. I honestly don?t know that we have any ?big? anybody on the pitching staff. I?d say we are below average by SEC standards in starting pitching. Hope to make the post season and have developed a few guys through the season and meet some teams that haven?t been though our gauntlet. If those things happen and we are hitting a stride, who knows, lots of things can happen.

After last year, I definitely understand the cautious ineptitude. However, D1 Baseball (one of the premier outfits on college baseball) ranks Cade Smith as the 53rd best college draftable prospect in '23 (fwiw, Colton Ledbetter ranks 26th).

Cade combined with Stinnet's heater can be a formidable Fri-Sat combo - Foxhall just needs to figure out how to get them through the opposing team's lineup a 2nd time and into the 6th inning.

Coach34
01-15-2023, 12:24 PM
I've watched alot of PFS and remain skeptical that he can be consistent on the mound. I view anything positive we get from him as a bonus

Let's not forget that we had pegged Hunt to be our Friday night guy heading into last season. Hunt came back to prove he is that guy. Give me:

Hunt- Friday
Smith- Sat
Gartman- Sun

And honestly- with our LHP we have this year I'm not sure I wouldnt tandem some guys on the weekend. Maybe go Smith/Kohn tandem on Satuday. Gartman/Davis on Sunday. Look to get 4 Innings from each. They are getting work yet staying fresh for June.

WSOPdawg
01-15-2023, 12:46 PM
Let's not forget that we had pegged Hunt to be our Friday night guy heading into last season. Hunt came back to prove he is that guy. Give me:

Hunt- Friday
Smith- Sat
Gartman- Sun

And honestly- with our LHP we have this year I'm not sure I wouldnt tandem some guys on the weekend. Maybe go Smith/Kohn tandem on Satuday. Gartman/Davis on Sunday. Look to get 4 Innings from each. They are getting work yet staying fresh for June.

This definitely has merit. Looking at our depth (and I know I've missed several), Lem & Fox should have a lot of options to get us back on track. I also realize we need to temper our expectations of the freshmen, but still, if OM can ride Hunter Elliot to Omaha as a freshman, we should be able to count on some of our freshmen. Here's the depth I'm really liking, and it seems a lot of them throw heat.

RH - Cade Smith (jr)
RH - Landon Gartman (jr)
RH - KC Hunt (jr)
RH - Parker Stinnett (jr)
LH - Pico Kohn (soph)
RH - Nate Dohm (soph)
RH - Aaron Nixon (jr), transfer closer from Texas
LH - Tyler Davis (jr), transfer from VCU
LH - Bradley Loftin (fr)
RH/LH - Lo Cijentje (fr)
RH - Colby Holcomb (soph) juco AA
LH - Graham Yntema (soph)

No BS Dawg
01-15-2023, 01:07 PM
After last year, I definitely understand the cautious ineptitude. However, D1 Baseball (one of the premier outfits on college baseball) ranks Cade Smith as the 53rd best college draftable prospect in '23 (fwiw, Colton Ledbetter ranks 26th).

Cade combined with Stinnet's heater can be a formidable Fri-Sat combo - Foxhall just needs to figure out how to get them through the opposing team's lineup a 2nd time and into the 6th inning.

No cautious ineptitude, at all. Working off of facts based on last year. We are looking at a guy coming off injury, and guy that drastically underwhelmed in the same roll we put him in last year, and a guy that was overextended all season due to the pitching situation. As we stand currently, we are not in the top half of the SEC in that department. I hope this is proven wrong quickly and we are drastically improved. If Cade performs like the 53 ranked prospect, that?s only one of the three starting rotation spots. We need others to perform at a higher level consistently too as we can?t expect to win all his starts.

StarkVegasSteve
01-15-2023, 01:19 PM
In a perfect world I imagine our starting rotation would be

Fri. KC
Sat. Cade
Sun. Either Loftin or Gartman

Midweek Dohm, Lo, Stinnett, Davis

Cooterpoot
01-15-2023, 02:04 PM
Gartman will be in our weekend rotation. Dohm will start out on the backend I believe, but can throw in a lot if spots. Lofton midweek. Cymbalta will throw midweek but could be used on the weekend.

BeardoMSU
01-15-2023, 02:14 PM
Is he going to switch arms during the game, or be like two separate pitchers each weekend?

Imagine a future year where he's our Friday (LHP) and Saturday (RHP) starter.

Or if he's switching during the game, imagine a future where he goes 9 innings each Friday night.

It's batter to batter. He wears a special glove that works on both hands.

Quaoarsking
01-15-2023, 02:52 PM
It's batter to batter. He wears a special glove that works on both hands.

If both arms are equally good, and he can keep them both lose, he ought to have a lot more stamina than a typical starter. If he can get into our rotation (maybe in a future season) and eat up a whole game each weekend, that would take a lot of pressure off the bullpen.

Todd4State
01-15-2023, 03:37 PM
Last year when Parker was healthy, he pitched the BEST game we had all year against top-10 Texas Tech with 12 strikeouts to only 3 BBs. If he can get past the mental hurdles and stay healthy, he definitely could be one of the ones we're talking about making the BIG jump. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

His issue went from mental to physical.

Anybody know the progress on Stone Simmons? Not sure if we're expecting him back this year or not.........

I wouldn't expect a lot from him. Maybe late in the year in some midweek games. That may be optimistic. It's going to be a rehab year for him.

Yeah I agree. I do think we're going to be pretty decent offensively though. I think the staff could be pretty good in due time once guys settle into roles. There's some decent arms there. IF Stinnett could get his shit together, he can be a game changer. Remember how he pitched against Texas Tech a couple of years ago down in Biloxi. He definitely has Friday night stuff.

Offensively we're going to be different than last year. We're going to have a lot more balance throughout the lineup. Probably will result in less power but also should result in fewer strike outs. Will be more like what we were used to seeing from 2016-2021 which is what I still feel like is the best way to go on offense in baseball. We're still going to have power but we'll also have the ability to manufacture runs as well. We didn't really have a true leadoff guy and now we do with Larry. And I think that Ledbetter will may hit 2 which will allow us to drop down Hancock which is a better spot for all involved.

I've watched alot of PFS and remain skeptical that he can be consistent on the mound. I view anything positive we get from him as a bonus

Hunt- Friday
Smith- Sat
Gartman- Sun

Last year Sims was the Friday night guy going into the season. There is a lot of talk in baseball circles in general about pitching staffs going to be more like tandem rotations where the first guy throws like 50 pitches and then you bring in someone else for 50 pitches and then you go to your flamethrowers and shut down guys. And that's not just us- I'm talking about at the MLB level. Part of it is injury prevention related and part of it is strategy. For a MSU example- if we throw a guy like Ethan Small from the left side for three and then go to a guy from the right side like Ginn who is very different and then close it out with Sims- that's tough on hitters.

If both arms are equally good, and he can keep them both lose, he ought to have a lot more stamina than a typical starter. If he can get into our rotation (maybe in a future season) and eat up a whole game each weekend, that would take a lot of pressure off the bullpen.

The thing that a lot of people don't know about pitching is how much you use your whole body and your legs. So no way we would be able to use him twice as a starter on a weekend. Assuming that he is used conventionally and throws 100 pitches. Even using him in relief for an inning later in the weekend or midweek would be dicey at best.

WSOPdawg
01-15-2023, 04:32 PM
His issue went from mental to physical.
Offensively we're going to be different than last year. We're going to have a lot more balance throughout the lineup. Probably will result in less power but also should result in fewer strike outs. Will be more like what we were used to seeing from 2016-2021 which is what I still feel like is the best way to go on offense in baseball. We're still going to have power but we'll also have the ability to manufacture runs as well. We didn't really have a true leadoff guy and now we do with Larry. And I think that Ledbetter will may hit 2 which will allow us to drop down Hancock which is a better spot for all involved.

I'm liking all this, Todd, but I'm still thinking we could make a run at last year's HR total. I think our OF defense will be greatly improved especially WHEN Dakota Jordan takes over in LF with Ledbetter in CF. I think Alford is going to continue taking the next step from summer ball and settles into the 3-hole. Knowing how Lem likes the balanced lefty-righty batting order, I can see the lineup looking something like this:

1 - Larry, 2B (R) - 5 HR
2 - Ledbetter, CF(L) - 15 HR
3 - Alford, 3B (R) - 13 HR
4 - Hines, 1B (L) - 20 HR
5 - Downs / Hujsak, DH (R) - 15 HR
6 - K Clark, RF (L) - 20 HR
7 - Dakota Jordan, LF (R) - 8 HR
8 - Hancock, C (L) - 10 HR
9 - Forsythe, SS (R) - 3 HR

TEAM HR Total = 105 HR

No BS Dawg
01-15-2023, 04:43 PM
I'm liking all this, Todd, but I'm still thinking we could make a run at last year's HR total. I think our OF defense will be greatly improved especially WHEN Dakota Jordan takes over in LF with Ledbetter in CF. I think Alford is going to continue taking the next step from summer ball and settles into the 3-hole. Knowing how Lem likes the balanced lefty-righty batting order, I can see the lineup looking something like this:

1 - Larry, 2B (R) - 5 HR

TEAM HR Total = 105 HR

Very solid line-up right there.

Coach34
01-15-2023, 07:44 PM
Yeah my bad- Hunt was going to be the Sat guy with Cade on Sunday

StarkVegasSteve
01-15-2023, 08:35 PM

1 - Larry, 2B (R) - 5 HR

TEAM HR Total = 105 HR

If Hines and Clark hit 40 HRs between them then we are in Omaha. We will just bash people to death. Who is pitching for us will not matter much.

WSOPdawg
01-15-2023, 08:49 PM
If Hines and Clark hit 40 HRs between them then we are in Omaha. We will just bash people to death. Who is pitching for us will not matter much.

They hit 30 combined between them last year but here's hoping Kellum really figures things out this year and can hit at a .285/.600/.385 clip.

I also agree with Todd in that we should be able to cut back on the SO as LoTan, Mule & Kam all k'd at 45 or more times on the season.

Coach34
01-15-2023, 08:50 PM
Hines has 20 HR potential for sure. I'll be happy if Clark hits 15

StarkVegasSteve
01-15-2023, 09:24 PM
They hit 30 combined between them last year but here's hoping Kellum really figures things out this year and can hit at a .285/.600/.385 clip.

I also agree with Todd in that we should be able to cut back on the SO as LoTan, Mule & Kam all k'd at 45 or more times on the season.

Well and you hope that Hines does not go into that slump he went into in the middle of the year again. I think he had like 20 Ks in three weekends at one point.

SpaceBully
01-16-2023, 01:06 AM

Yntema throws in the High-80's but strikes out lots of hitters. Total JC stats don't look stellar but gave up most of his hits and runs in the last 4 appearances. Un-Hittable in his first 42 innings and then had a rough final 13 innings to end his season. Even 10 or the 25 walks happened in that last 13 innings. Curious.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FlBf-nTWIAMOIt2?format=jpg&name=large

Loftin reportedly turned down 7 figure money to come to MSU. Can't verify that though. Maybe we promised enough $NIL to get him to go to college. He's supposed to be close to a 5-Star pitcher (using the football star scale). Unless he has arm problems, I think he'll figure into our staff make up either weekday or possibly weekend.

TNDawg35
01-16-2023, 06:13 AM

Get ready, that is EXACTLY what LSU is fixen to do.... BUT, they also have Skenes and another really good transfer pitcher coming in. They are unreal loaded this year. As you know in baseball, the most talented team doesnt win most of the time. (Looking at you Tenn)

Offshore Dawg
01-16-2023, 08:35 AM
Loftin reportedly turned down 7 figure money to come to MSU. Can't verify that though. Maybe we promised enough $NIL to get him to go to college. He's supposed to be close to a 5-Star pitcher (using the football star scale). Unless he has arm problems, I think he'll figure into our staff make up either weekday or possibly weekend.

weekend or weekdays. just about covers everything.

WSOPdawg
01-16-2023, 09:32 AM
Get ready, that is EXACTLY what LSU is fixen to do.... BUT, they also have Skenes and another really good transfer pitcher coming in. They are unreal loaded this year. As you know in baseball, the most talented team doesnt win most of the time. (Looking at you Tenn)

I like Skenes and wish he would have decided to be a Bulldog, but I bet he finds out real quick that the talent he faced in the MW at Air Force Academy is no where near the talent he's going to go up against in the SEC. He'll still be good, but not sure he'll be tops in the SEC at season's end.

Homedawg
01-16-2023, 10:13 AM
I like Skenes and wish he would have decided to be a Bulldog, but I bet he finds out real quick that the talent he faced in the MW at Air Force Academy is no where near the talent he's going to go up against in the SEC. He'll still be good, but not sure he'll be tops in the SEC at season's end.

Skenes is legit. Make no mistake. Wish we had him.

maroonmania
01-16-2023, 11:07 AM

LSU is just as serious about baseball as we are and have a lot more NIL money to work with. Going to be tough going head to head with them on high value transfers.

WSOPdawg
01-16-2023, 11:42 AM

Oh, I definitely agree (him being legit and wishing we had him). I'm just saying that he's now going up against SEC hitters instead of Mountain West hitters and will arguably face much more adversity than the last few years at Air Force Academy.

WSOPdawg
01-16-2023, 11:47 AM
LSU is just as serious about baseball as we are and have a lot more NIL money to work with. Going to be tough going head to head with them on high value transfers.

True, but there's a lot of baseball players out there and LSU can't get them all. D1 Baseball just came out this morning with our freshman signing class (led by Dakota Jordan & Loftin) as being the #2 overall signing class last year. Combined with our top-4 transfer class and I'm really liking the re-build that Lemonis and company have done this year.

Besides, not since the 'Canes of 1999 has the #1 overall team won it in Omaha. If your pitching can get hot in May and June, and you play good defense, anything can happen. Last year, attrition due to injuries just robbed us of our pitching. Time to rebound in '23.

SpaceBully
01-16-2023, 01:24 PM
weekend or weekdays. just about covers everything.

starting role

StarkVegasSteve
01-16-2023, 01:50 PM
True, but there's a lot of baseball players out there and LSU can't get them all. D1 Baseball just came out this morning with our freshman signing class (led by Dakota Jordan & Loftin) as being the #2 overall signing class last year. Combined with our top-4 transfer class and I'm really liking the re-build that Lemonis and company have done this year.

Besides, not since the 'Canes of 1999 has the #1 overall team won it in Omaha. If your pitching can get hot in May and June, and you play good defense, anything can happen. Last year, attrition due to injuries just robbed us of our pitching. Time to rebound in '23.

I like this signing class more and more every time I read about it. Dakota Jordan may end up being one of our better draft gets over the years. Add him in with Mershon, Highfill, Cjintje, and Loftin and you have building blocks for some success not only this year, but definitely down the road as well.

StarkVegasSteve
01-16-2023, 01:52 PM
Oh, I definitely agree (him being legit and wishing we had him). I'm just saying that he's now going up against SEC hitters instead of Mountain West hitters and will arguably face much more adversity than the last few years at Air Force Academy.

He also is going from playing in front of maybe 1,000 people a couple of times a year to being in front of 10,000+ every weekend. Now add in those Cajuns that will turn on you if things start going south, and you ratchet up those nerves 10x.

Cowbell
01-16-2023, 01:58 PM
He also is going from playing in front of maybe 1,000 people a couple of times a year to being in front of 10,000+ every weekend. Now add in those Cajuns that will turn on you if things start going south, and you ratchet up those nerves 10x.

I would argue those same things could also make him much better. Great players get better when the lights come on,

Mcnamee, tanner Allen, Ethan small

The Federalist Engineer
01-16-2023, 02:18 PM

Yes

I guess you and I are the only dudes remembering all this.

If there are three or four players that LSU would buy Off the MSU roster...It would be Hines, Loftin, Cade, and Jurrangelo Cinjinte. Maybe Colby Holcombe.

If Loftin is eased-into college baseball, that's cool. He has the pedigree similar to our greatest recruits. Plus he comes from Paul Maholm and Ethan Small part of the world.

StarkVegasSteve
01-16-2023, 02:31 PM
Yes

I guess you and I are the only dudes remembering all this.

If there are three or four players that LSU would buy Off the MSU roster...It would be Hines, Loftin, Cade, and Jurrangelo Cinjinte. Maybe Colby Holcombe.

If Loftin is eased-into college baseball, that's cool. He has the pedigree similar to our greatest recruits. Plus he comes from Paul Maholm and Ethan Small part of the world.

Loftin is ALL DAWG. He wants to be at MSU. Money wasn't a factor. If it was he would've gone pro. There were teams that would have offered 7 figures to sign him.

WSOPdawg
01-16-2023, 02:47 PM
I like this signing class more and more every time I read about it. Dakota Jordan may end up being one of our better draft gets over the years. Add him in with Mershon, Highfill, Cjintje, and Loftin and you have building blocks for some success not only this year, but definitely down the road as well.

Yeah, this is definitely one of our better incoming classes that we've had in quite a while as any of the five you've mentioned can blow up big time as their Bulldog career plays out. The future is definitely exciting.

The Federalist Engineer
01-16-2023, 04:03 PM

There is a veteran player or two that are considered locked to start, that if they don't produce 30% more ... Highfill needs to go ahead and play. How good is Mershon right now?

We may have good veterans for late inning pinch hitter, drag bunt, and defensive subs we can pull.

Todd4State
01-16-2023, 11:21 PM
There is a veteran player or two that are considered locked to start, that if they don't produce 30% more ... Highfill needs to go ahead and play. How good is Mershon right now?

We may have good veterans for late inning pinch hitter, drag bunt, and defensive subs we can pull.

Mershon could play right now and May and probably will get starts if Forsythe slumps. The question right now as it is with all freshmen is how will he be at the plate.

Forsythe has improved a lot though based on the fall so I think he will get the majority of the playing time.