PDA

View Full Version : Expect some WR to hit the portal.

Leroy Jenkins
01-12-2023, 03:36 PM
Gotta make room for TE's and such.

TNDawg35
01-12-2023, 04:36 PM
We could stand to loose a few to be honest… no need in carrying 18 WR…

parabrave
01-12-2023, 04:55 PM
Is Ducking Coming back. If so tell him to gain 25 LBS and he will be seeing alot more action.

William Tecumsah Sherman
01-12-2023, 05:24 PM
Ducking is out of eligibility

parabrave
01-12-2023, 06:24 PM
Ducking is out of eligibility

Well there goes one option at TE

Really Clark?
01-12-2023, 06:29 PM
Harmon could play a Flex TE, have to convince him to do it as way to get on the field earlier.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2023, 06:31 PM
only need 6 for a 2 deep. We had about 10.

Interested to see what happens with Tulu, Walley, Rufus and a few others that all seem like a better fit at the slot.

MrCoachKlein
01-12-2023, 06:57 PM

Interested to see what happens with Tulu, Walley, Rufus and a few others that all seem like a better fit at the slot.

Tulu on those jet sweeps and PA Barbay runs off it will be fun to watch

Lord McBuckethead
01-12-2023, 08:54 PM
I don?t see why too many of the WRs we have will have to hit the portal. This offense looks like it works to actually get these guys on the edge away from a defender ready to take your head off.

That seems like a plus.

Leroy Jenkins
01-12-2023, 08:58 PM
I don?t see why too many of the WRs we have will have to hit the portal. This offense looks like it works to actually get these guys on the edge away from a defender ready to take your head off.

That seems like a plus.

Well I guess "technically" they won't have to hit the portal, they can pay their own way if they want to stay I suppose.

Homedawg
01-12-2023, 09:43 PM
Well I guess "technically" they won't have to hit the portal, they can pay their own way if they want to stay I suppose.

Some will leave. Meh.

Matt3467
01-12-2023, 09:56 PM
Hearing Austin Williams will be back ***

Leroy Jenkins
01-12-2023, 10:17 PM

And Cumbest. He has football eligibility left.

KOdawg1
01-12-2023, 10:22 PM
We have wayyy too many slot guys now. There's only one slot position on the field in this offense so we need some of those guys to head elsewhere

MrCoachKlein
01-12-2023, 10:42 PM
And Cumbest. He has football eligibility left.

Man, he'd kill it up the seams in this offense

KB21
01-13-2023, 01:57 PM

That seems like a plus.

Well, the coach has a history of using a lot of pro style concepts. He will run 11 personnel and 12 personnel more than he runs 10 personnel. Add to that the fact that WRs in this scheme aren't going to get the ball very much. App State's leading receiver had 37 catches. Tulu was our 6th leading receiver, and he had 40 catches this year.

SpaceBully
01-13-2023, 01:59 PM

I think "Mule" is coming back......yup, I'm California dreamin'

HancockCountyDog
01-13-2023, 02:06 PM
We only have two WR that are difference makers and as long as we don't lose them, we are fine.

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 02:06 PM
Well, the coach has a history of using a lot of pro style concepts. He will run 11 personnel and 12 personnel more than he runs 10 personnel. Add to that the fact that WRs in this scheme aren't going to get the ball very much. App State's leading receiver had 37 catches. Tulu was our 6th leading receiver, and he had 40 catches this year.

At CM their leading receiver has 62 for over 860 yards and 4TD Second leading had 49 for 687 and 10 TD. Third leading receiver had 45 for 701 yards and 8 TD. All better than our Top 3 this year. Considering they threw 200 less times than us, that's a lot more efficient. So what's your point?

KB21
01-13-2023, 02:14 PM
At CM their leading receiver has 62 for over 860 yards and 4TD Second leading had 49 for 687 and 10 TD. Third leading receiver had 45 for 701 yards and 8 TD. All better than our Top 3 this year. Considering they threw 200 less times than us, that's a lot more efficient. So what's your point?

We had 6 players catch 40 or more passes. That's a much better job of spreading the ball around and being balanced. Plus, we had another three catch 30 or more.

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 02:20 PM
We had 6 players catch 40 or more passes. That's a much better job of spreading the ball around and being balanced. Plus, we had another three catch 30 or more.

Because we use more receivers than other schools. Texas Tech only had 3 guys catch more than 40. Western Kentucky only had 4 guys catch over 40 passes. They both were top teams in passing attempts. We just used more guys.

Commercecomet24
01-13-2023, 02:22 PM
Because we use more receivers than other schools. Texas Tech only had 3 guys catch more than 40. Western Kentucky only had 4 guys catch over 40 passes. They both were top teams in passing attempts. We just used more guys.

To many at times because it kept our better weapons off the field at times.

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 02:25 PM

Agreed

MrCoachKlein
01-13-2023, 02:30 PM

Do you want to spread it around just to spread it around? I'm confused. I just want points and an efficient offense. This guy brings it with a solid running game and one of the most efficient passing games around.

I'm not a rtdfb guy, but I'm excited about what he was able to do in the passing game without a very talented qb. Traditionally the OL and skill guys we've been able to get are more suited to run, so if we can setup an efficient passing attack with that it seems to fit our strengths.

Another plus is he doesn't need a running qb to do it. No injured qb in week 10 or banged up Dak at end of season

Commercecomet24
01-13-2023, 02:30 PM
Agreed

Heck I know some of our wrs were frustrated because they were having to share reps. I'm trying to think of any other team that used 8-10 different wrs consistently

MrCoachKlein
01-13-2023, 02:32 PM

That was always part of Leach's scheme, but I think it had a lot to do with 10 similarly talented receivers like the pirate said himself. Polk wasn't coming off except for breathers in 21

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 02:33 PM
Heck I know some of our wrs were frustrated because they were having to share reps. I'm trying to think of any other team that used 8-10 different wrs consistently

I looked at the top 6 or so and none do. North Carolina only had 2. Although their leading WR caught over 100 balls

Commercecomet24
01-13-2023, 02:35 PM
That was always part of Leach's scheme, but I think it had a lot to do with 10 similarly talented receivers like the pirate said himself. Polk wasn't coming off except for breathers in 21

Yeah Leach has always done that, some were similar but we did have wrs that were better than others that should have had more playing than the others. I always will love Coach Leach but sometimes he spread it among to many, but that was his deal and he was very successful.

KB21
01-13-2023, 02:39 PM
Do you want to spread it around just to spread it around? I'm confused. I just want points and an efficient offense. This guy brings it with a solid running game and one of the most efficient passing games around.

I'm not a rtdfb guy, but I'm excited about what he was able to do in the passing game without a very talented qb. Traditionally the OL and skill guys we've been able to get are more suited to run, so if we can setup an efficient passing attack with that it seems to fit our strengths.

Another plus is he doesn't need a running qb to do it. No injured qb in week 10 or banged up Dak at end of season

I don't want a run oriented or run first offense, period. You should only run the ball when you have a numbers advantage. That's not what this new offense does.

MrCoachKlein
01-13-2023, 02:40 PM
Yeah Leach has always done that, some were similar but we did have wrs that were better than others that should have had more playing than the others. I always will love Coach Leach but sometimes he spread it among to many, but that was his deal and he was very successful.

I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall in that we room. I think Bucky is right that they weren't doing what coaches wanted consistently

confucius say
01-13-2023, 02:41 PM

Have to find the qb fit. Everything will fall into place if you can get that right. The qb he had is more talented than will

MrCoachKlein
01-13-2023, 02:44 PM
I don't want a run oriented or run first offense, period. You should only run the ball when you have a numbers advantage. That's not what this new offense does.

I agree with you 100%, but I still really like this hire. Barbary will throw it 40 times a game if his run game isn't working or game plan calls for it. The opposite is also true.

He's more of a run to setup pass guy and my preference is the opposite, but he adapts and was probably the best we could get after briles rejected us.

I'm optimistic, but what do I know I'm just a pre middle age software engineer chasing toddlers around a house

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 02:48 PM

Well you are out of luck unless you change schools. And pretty limited on what schools you can cheer for then. How about we just do what the defense gives you, which we didn't always do the last 3 years because it was pass only oriented. We didn't always run when the numbers or situation said we should have, so you didn't like what we were doing before the change either?

BTW, I'm a Leach supporter but didn't always agree with what he did and how slowly he was in making changes. You can be objective. I'm not beholding to Air Raid or pass only offenses either. I like it but I like consistency better.

Commercecomet24
01-13-2023, 03:00 PM
I agree with you 100%, but I still really like this hire. Barbary will throw it 40 times a game if his run game isn't working or game plan calls for it. The opposite is also true.

He's more of a run to setup pass guy and my preference is the opposite, but he adapts and was probably the best we could get after briles rejected us.

I'm optimistic, but what do I know I'm just a pre middle age software engineer chasing toddlers around a house

Good post, i agree.

Bubb Rubb
01-13-2023, 03:23 PM

Tulu, Harvey, and Thomas just got a new lease on life. They're going to be weapons in this offense, all of them. Walley will be our possession guy and we'll have JRob and a couple of the young guys to compete with him for outside touches.

MrCoachKlein
01-13-2023, 03:24 PM
Have to find the qb fit. Everything will fall into place if you can get that right. The qb he had is more talented than will

I don't know. App st qb had better pocket presence and a stronger arm, but missed on a lot of short or medium passes will would've nailed. Will's probably better at reading d and accuracy at the expense of athleticism and deep ball. Pick your poison

KB21
01-13-2023, 03:36 PM
Well you are out of luck unless you change schools. And pretty limited on what schools you can cheer for then. How about we just do what the defense gives you, which we didn't always do the last 3 years because it was pass only oriented. We didn't always run when the numbers or situation said we should have, so you didn't like what we were doing before the change either?

BTW, I'm a Leach supporter but didn't always agree with what he did and how slowly he was in making changes. You can be objective. I'm not beholding to Air Raid or pass only offenses either. I like it but I like consistency better.

Taking what the defense gives you is the definition of the Air Raid scheme. The Air Raid is designed to get the ball to guys who are quick and can run in space, and the design of the system creates that space. It's up to the QB to make the decision on which space to get the ball to.

Arnett is the only Power 5 defensive minded head coach hired this off season that is not hiring an Air Raid offensive coordinator. Ryan Walters with Purdue hired Graham Harrell. Luke Fickell with Wisconsin hired Phil Longo. Arnett has decided to go ground and pound instead, and ground and pound is not a recipe for success in modern football. You pass to set up the run in modern football.

Commercecomet24
01-13-2023, 03:37 PM
Tulu, Harvey, and Thomas just got a new lease on life. They're going to be weapons in this offense, all of them. Walley will be our possession guy and we'll have JRob and a couple of the young guys to compete with him for outside touches.

The jet sweeps and touch passes I saw them run make me happy! I can see Tulu and Zavion eating on those!

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 03:53 PM
Taking what the defense gives you is the definition of the Air Raid scheme. The Air Raid is designed to get the ball to guys who are quick and can run in space, and the design of the system creates that space. It's up to the QB to make the decision on which space to get the ball to.

Arnett is the only Power 5 defensive minded head coach hired this off season that is not hiring an Air Raid offensive coordinator. Ryan Walters with Purdue hired Graham Harrell. Luke Fickell with Wisconsin hired Phil Longo. Arnett has decided to go ground and pound instead, and ground and pound is not a recipe for success in modern football. You pass to set up the run in modern football.

That's false. Taking what the defense gives is a staple of all sports and long before Air Raid. You can take what defense gives you in Air Raid and run the ball. We didn't always do that with Leach either. So he went against that philosophy a good bit. You can take what the defense gives you in a run oriented attack and throw the ball. That's insane logic you are spewing.

Could careless what other coaches are doing. But by your logic Harrell is no longer air raid so he doesn't count. He ran it more than he threw this season.

Y'all just need to follow Air Raid teams if that's all you care about. It's like a cult. And I like Air Raid but I'm not obsessed that it's the only offense that can be and is successful. And Barbay designs plays to get players the ball in space as well. A lot of his attack is about that, that is not just an Air Raid concept.

MrCoachKlein
01-13-2023, 03:57 PM
Are we really bringing up Longo? The OC who refused to target Dawson Knox?

Good enough for the bills but not Ole Piss

KB21
01-13-2023, 04:08 PM
That's false. Taking what the defense gives is a staple of all sports and long before Air Raid. You can take what defense gives you in Air Raid and run the ball. We didn't always do that with Leach either. So he went against that philosophy a good bit. You can take what the defense gives you in a run oriented attack and throw the ball. That's insane logic you are spewing.

Could careless what other coaches are doing. But by your logic Harrell is no longer air raid so he doesn't count. He ran it more than he threw this season.

Y'all just need to follow Air Raid teams if that's all you care about. It's like a cult. And I like Air Raid but I'm not obsessed that it's the only offense that can be and is successful. And Barbay designs plays to get players the ball in space as well. A lot of his attack is about that, that is not just an Air Raid concept.

Remind me of this when we are running against 8 and 9 man boxes this fall because "we have to establish the running game".

thf24
01-13-2023, 04:11 PM
Remind me of this when we are running against 8 and 9 man boxes this fall because "we have to establish the running game".

What existing data on Barbay, especially prior to App State, leads you believe he's going to do this?

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 04:11 PM

Remind me how many times did we throw against 4-5 man boxes the last 3 years. It's goes both way.

How about we wait until we actual play some games and see what works before deciding every philosophy outside of Air Raid sucks. How about we do that?

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 04:13 PM
What existing data on Barbay, especially prior to App State, leads you believe he's going to do this?

He's not Air Raid and throwing 70% of the time. That's all that matters to him.

Matt3467
01-13-2023, 04:19 PM
The main reason I wanted to continue sticking within the air raid is because State has been a 3 yards and a cloud of dust kind of team for really.......ever. Our biggest accomplishment aside from a National Championship we don't claim is a 10 win disappointment of a season in 2014 that as usual ran into the annual Bama roadblock. Even though we haven't challenged Bama recently I think we've always had a better shot at winning against the better teams passing vs running. I know people like to talk about how the defense carried us this year and I'll agree that in several games they did but we also had the two biggest comebacks in our history by a large margin with this kind of an offense and that doesn't happen with a run favored system. I'm willing to give this guy a shot though. I still had hope in JoMo going into year two somehow so although I think next year will be a difficult year for us I'm on the boat for the first two years at least.

thf24
01-13-2023, 04:29 PM
The main reason I wanted to continue sticking within the air raid is because State has been a 3 yards and a cloud of dust kind of team for really.......ever. Our biggest accomplishment aside from a National Championship we don't claim is a 10 win disappointment of a season in 2014 that as usual ran into the annual Bama roadblock. Even though we haven't challenged Bama recently I think we've always had a better shot at winning against the better teams passing vs running. I know people like to talk about how the defense carried us this year and I'll agree that in several games they did but we also had the two biggest comebacks in our history by a large margin with this kind of an offense and that doesn't happen with a run favored system. I'm willing to give this guy a shot though. I still had hope in JoMo going into year two somehow so although I think next year will be a difficult year for us I'm on the boat for the first two years at least.

The idea that if you're not pass heavy then you're three yards and a cloud of dust is a false dichotomy. We haven't seen three yards and a cloud of dust since Croom when that kind of offense was going out of style; Mullen wasn't, and Moorhead didn't intend to be. Many coaches have demonstrated over the last ten to fifteen years that you can scheme a balanced offense with a lean towards the run and still have the kind of competent, explosive passing attack you need to have a chance against elite opponents, and Barbay's resume says that's exactly what he aims to do.

Bubb Rubb
01-13-2023, 04:30 PM
The jet sweeps and touch passes I saw them run make me happy! I can see Tulu and Zavion eating on those!

Tulu lining up in wildcat will be fun too.

Commercecomet24
01-13-2023, 04:38 PM
Tulu lining up in wildcat will be fun too.

I agree, tulu or price either one.

ETA I expect Barbay to use Tulu in many different ways. His resume shows he gets his best players the most touches and in different ways. Tulu could be a serious weapon.

MrCoachKlein
01-13-2023, 04:43 PM
The idea that if you're not pass heavy then you're three yards and a cloud of dust is a false dichotomy. We haven't seen three yards and a cloud of dust since Croom when that kind of offense was going out of style; Mullen wasn't, and Moorhead didn't intend to be. Many coaches have demonstrated over the last ten to fifteen years that you can scheme a balanced offense with a lean towards the run and still have the kind of competent, explosive passing attack you need to have a chance against elite opponents, and Barbay's resume says that's exactly what he aims to do.

Nah man, kiffen and heupel are 3 yards and cloud of dust. They don't throw 99% of the time

MrCoachKlein
01-13-2023, 04:44 PM

ETA I expect Barbay to use Tulu in many different ways. His resume shows he gets his best players the most touches and in different ways. Tulu could be a serious weapon.

This is what I'm most excited about. Tulu and zavion in this offense

Leroy Jenkins
01-13-2023, 04:47 PM
Some people confuse 3 yards and a cloud of dust with running powers, traps, and leads between the Tackles. Pat White and Steve Slayton were a hellova duo running the ball and I wouldn't consider that 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Hell, Kiffin, as bad as I hate to admit it was #3 in the country in rushing yards, while in the toughest conference, and I don't consider that 3 Yards and a blah....blah.
When Paul Johnson was at the Naval Academy and GT, that was 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 05:01 PM
Nah man, kiffen and heupel are 3 yards and cloud of dust. They don't throw 99% of the time

Heck Kiffin ran the ball 61.3% of the time this year. 3 yards and a cloud of dust!! Lol

Barbay is NOT a 3 yard pound the ball OC. Not even close

mo7888
01-13-2023, 06:41 PM

Would have been interesting for sure....

Msujd164
01-13-2023, 06:49 PM
Do not Contact tag could be good or bad.

He either has been tampered with and knows his destination, OR, didn?t plan on going anywhere and is playing the Nil Game.

mo7888
01-13-2023, 08:11 PM
Do not Contact tag could be good or bad.

He either has been tampered with and knows his destination, OR, didn?t plan on going anywhere and is playing the Nil Game.

Or he didn't like being told we were going to continue with an air raid philosophy and then seeing us go back on that...

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 08:39 PM
Or he didn't like being told we were going to continue with an air raid philosophy and then seeing us go back on that...

We never told the players we were staying Air Raid, that's just message board posters. This has absolutely 0% to do about Arnett, Barbay, Bumphis and the scheme will be running next year. Zero to do with it.

Schultzy
01-13-2023, 08:46 PM
I loved Mike especially bc of the discipline with his program along with winning 8 games this year and we would’ve won two of three with him in the egg if we could hit a wide open receiver from two yards out & not dropped two more but we couldn’t score against good defenses in his era.

But Arnett will run a tight ship too and the scheme will fit us better so I’m fired up about the OC hire.

KB21
01-13-2023, 08:46 PM
Now let?s convince ourselves that our quarterback recruiting and wide receiver recruiting is not going to take a significant hit with this new offense.

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 08:51 PM
Now let?s convince ourselves that our quarterback recruiting and wide receiver recruiting is not going to take a significant hit with this new offense.

Go root for Air Raid somewhere else. And I like the air raid but good lord!! How bout this, lifetime self imposed ban that our offense next season is as good or better than this past season? If it's not, I will never post on here again. Will you agree that if it is, you will leave the board? But your money where your ignorance is.

HancockCountyDog
01-13-2023, 08:55 PM
Well Tulu was one of the guys I wanted to keep - so hopefully this gets fixed.

KB21
01-13-2023, 08:57 PM
I?ll agree to that.

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 08:59 PM
I?ll agree to that.

To the bet?

KB21
01-13-2023, 09:10 PM
Yes.

RisperDawg
01-13-2023, 09:10 PM
To the bet?

Bro, i don't even recognize his username. I see you post all the time and it actually leads to meaningful discussion. Don't engage with this dumb shit.

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 09:23 PM
Yes.

It's a bet then

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 09:25 PM
Bro, i don't even recognize his username. I see you post all the time and it actually leads to meaningful discussion. Don't engage with this dumb shit.

I appreciate it!!

BuckyIsAB****
01-13-2023, 09:31 PM
We never told the players we were staying Air Raid, that's just message board posters. This has absolutely 0% to do about Arnett, Barbay, Bumphis and the scheme will be running next year. Zero to do with it.

We told some guys we were going to keep it close to the air raid.

Commercecomet24
01-13-2023, 09:34 PM

I'll second this! Clark one of the best on here.

Leroy Jenkins
01-13-2023, 09:56 PM
I feel like this wager is a little one sided. As in, they don't have the same amount of skin in the game.

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 09:59 PM
I'll second this! Clark one of the best on here.

I appreciate it CC, but are the best on here and wish I could be more objective and cool like you.

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 10:04 PM
We told some guys we were going to keep it close to the air raid.

The post stayed the coaches said we were going to stay Air Raid philosophy. what I was told by a player was we were going to stay air raid like with some changes. Maybe that's open ended and left to interpretation but air raid like with changes doesn't mean air raid philosophy.

ETA We both know this situation with Tulu has nothing to do with scheme or the coaches.

msstate7
01-13-2023, 10:56 PM
It's a bet then

What's the parameters? Total offense, scoring offense, total offense in sec, scoring offense in sec?