PDA

View Full Version : How is our basketball team gonna improve?

msstate7
01-11-2023, 08:52 PM
We have 3 3-stars and an UR player signed. We're 10th in the sec in composite, but the teams we're ahead of only have 1 commit or 2. Our avg per recruit is worst in the sec. In fact our avg per recruit is the worst in the sec since 2020 mizzou.

ETA... in 2020 mizzou only signed 1 guy. The last time a school signed 3 or more with an avg per recruit at 86 or lower was South Carolina in 2016.

Goldendawg
01-11-2023, 08:55 PM
Welcome to Mid-Major recruiting. Transfers brought in on current team about the same or even less. Still early, but looking like another questionable hire as a parting gift from "The smartest guy in the room." Hope I'm wrong. I called this team fun to watch earlier in the year. Now, brutal to watch.

trob115
01-11-2023, 09:26 PM
Jans has been busting it on the recruiting trail. He's made some inroads with really good talent, but he needs to be able to get their signatures.

We will be relying on transfers this next season and our nil is much better organized than last season. I hope he's able to figure the recruiting piece out because he's a heck of a coach.

PGHBulldogBG
01-11-2023, 09:31 PM
Jans is a really good coach but he needs to get a recruiting coordinator to get to the next level. We went from Howland being a great recruiter to an outdated coaching style to Jans who is a really good coach with a talent deficit. If we can just get some 4 star shooters that will be the key to competing in this league.

Rawdawg
01-11-2023, 09:40 PM
Jan?s? tenure will be determined in the transfer portal and on the recruiting trail. Our current model isn?t sustainable at the power 5 level, you have to have scorers.

msudawglb
01-11-2023, 09:44 PM
I?m starting to doubt his coaching ability. Our 5 starters shot 5-20 on free throws tonight. And this is half way through the season. It?s a glaring problem that is fixable. I could do better left handed and blind folded. We are giving out scholarships to guys who can?t make a free throw 75% of the time!!!!

Rawdawg
01-11-2023, 10:05 PM
Jan?s? tenure will be determined in the transfer portal and on the recruiting trail. Our current model isn?t sustainable at the power 5 level, you have to have scorers.

And I would like to add that he brought in 5 transfers, none of which are very good.

trob115
01-11-2023, 10:25 PM
And I would like to add that he brought in 5 transfers, none of which are very good.

Agreed, but he didn't stand much of a chance with our NIL situation. We had zero organization last spring.

msstate7
01-11-2023, 10:27 PM
Maybe when OM fires Kermit, we can convince Murrell to come here.

trob115
01-11-2023, 10:29 PM
I?m starting to doubt his coaching ability. Our 5 starters shot 5-20 on free throws tonight. And this is half way through the season. It?s a glaring problem that is fixable. I could do better left handed and blind folded. We are giving out scholarships to guys who can?t make a free throw 75% of the time!!!!

Yeah because let's blame lack of free throw shooting on coaching ability. Dumb.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-11-2023, 10:29 PM
Tolu and Jeffries need to sit

msstate7
01-11-2023, 10:31 PM

I don't know what the issue is, but tolu, Moore, and DJ's FT % is down considerably.

CJDAWG85
01-11-2023, 10:32 PM
It?s simple? teach the players HOW TO SHOOT

NCMSTFAN
01-11-2023, 10:42 PM

Jans does have to take some blame here though. He can't make the shots but he has to be able to scheme, make adjustments, have the offense flowing. I haven't seen that at all, especially in the half court. And His recruiting so far is just bad.

This is probably the worse offense if seen since I've been following State in the 90's. That's on the coach no matter how you slice it. Howland got more out of DJ, Tolu and Shak than I've seen from Jans. I have seen an increase in Matthews game but he is just a tough nosed hard worker and would be that under any coach.

NCMSTFAN
01-11-2023, 10:48 PM
I don't know what the issue is, but tolu, Moore, and DJ's FT % is down considerably.

Do you remember a few weeks ago Jans said all of his teams are typically ahead on the defensive end but are still a work in progress on offense? Honestly maybe he's focusing on defense too much.. I mean we look completely horrendous on offense. Jans isn't an offensive guy but he's going to have to get that figured out soon because you are not winning on a consistent basis at the SEC level by only playing defense

EdwardDrayton
01-11-2023, 10:49 PM

Truly don't know how to explain a Div I team shooting sub 50% FT in conference. That is just inexplicable.

Rawdawg
01-11-2023, 10:59 PM
Kenpom has our offensive efficiency sitting at 181. Bart Torvik has us at 224. Those are unacceptable at the power 5 level. Factor in we were 355th in the country before going 7/22 at the free throw stripe and we?re legitimately looking at the worst offense in major college basketball.

HoopsDawg
01-11-2023, 11:02 PM
Maybe when OM fires Kermit, we can convince Murrell to come here.

The portal is the only way to improve. Have to get some NIL funds and get a player like Murrell. Would make a massive difference.

CaptainObvious
01-11-2023, 11:07 PM
The game has been allowed to become too physical. There were a couple of fouls called tonight that should not, many not called that should have, and still a whole lot of fouls called. The bodying up has become way to physical yet they call ticky tack fouls. Our guys shoot poorly because the continue to rush their shots before contact when they find themselves open by a foot. It is rugby on a basketball court. I saw some shots tonight that didn?t even look like the player had the ball anywhere near proper shooting position. Many times, it just looks like they know the contact is coming and just push the ball in the direction of the backboard. So the physical play is hurting the game in the paint.

Unfortunately, our guys can?t make an uncontested shot either, whether wide open or from the Charity Stripe. I remember when we complaining about the college game being to boring because of scores in the 70?s while the NBA was scoring in the 100?s to 110?s. Now, college games are playing in the 50?s. Ouch!

Coach34
01-11-2023, 11:25 PM
Can?t blame the Coach for FT?s.

A college athlete is by himself at the FT line unguarded. Those misses are on the players. I literally made 6/10 and 5/10 over Christmas break working with my sons and they challenged me cause I was getting on their ass about missed FT?s. Needless to say they STFU now.

If a team is getting open shots and missing them? That?s on the player and there may be a lack of talent.

If a team struggles to get open shots? That?s on the coach because his offense isn?t creating open shots

We are getting open looks under Jan. Now we got to recruit better shooters

msudawglb
01-11-2023, 11:29 PM
He sure has the ability to make them practice free throws. He could set up special free throw only sessions. I guess that?s too mean. Making them run bleachers and all until they make a certain percentage. He should just hug them and be their buddy I guess.

trob115
01-11-2023, 11:31 PM
He sure has the ability to make them practice free throws. He could set up special free throw only sessions. I guess that?s too mean. Making them run bleachers and all until they make a certain percentage. He should just hug them and be their buddy I guess.

They already do all of that.

It's 100 percent mental imo.

msudawglb
01-11-2023, 11:34 PM
Do you remember a few weeks ago Jans said all of his teams are typically ahead on the defensive end but are still a work in progress on offense? Honestly maybe he's focusing on defense too much.. I mean we look completely horrendous on offense. Jans isn't an offensive guy but he's going to have to get that figured out soon because you are not winning on a consistent basis at the SEC level by only playing defense

And that?s dumb too. Of course defense is ahead of offense. I could take 4 good soccer players and a goalie who have never touched a basketball and teach them defense in a few weeks. They?d never score but I bet they?d pretty damn good at defense.

msudawglb
01-11-2023, 11:38 PM
They already do all of that.

It's 100 percent mental imo.

Mental? You act like they?ve never played basketball. If you are mentally weak and that causes you to shoot 25% from 15 feet away, you are too soft to be playing in college. It?s poor form and no repeatability.

EdwardDrayton
01-11-2023, 11:45 PM
It goes without saying the immediate and most critical improvement needs to be at the free throw line.

We lost the game because we shot FTs so poorly on our side (7-22) and we sent Georgia to the line 31 times (25-31). 18 point differential and we lost by eight.

Didn't help that we got out-rebounded too. With a team that shoots so poorly from the field, we have to win these other battles or at least hold our own. No excuse for us to get out-rebounded, foul so much and shoot so abysmally from the free throw line.

For next year? We better have some success in the portal for shooters.

Reunion Dog
01-12-2023, 03:04 AM
Watch this team before the game when they come out to warm up with layups. Hell 99% of them are trying to show how well they can dunk the damn ball. And they don?t make 50% of those. This team has NO LEADERSHIP whatsoever?. That starts with the Head Coach. Jans failed us in recruiting and it is showing. No bench coaching and surely no bench strategy.

I would love to have drinks with Richard Williams and hear how he really thinks about this crap.

I swear I would go get 12 new players next year. No way would they be this bad. Watch Tolu?s media presence on line and look at how they all r goofing around instead of taking this stuff seriously. They don?t give a 2 💩?s about playing basketball for State.

Ready for someone to stand up and be a damn leader?. That includes any coaches too.

Pancho
01-12-2023, 07:04 AM
well at least reunion dog has it all figured out now. wait til next year

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-12-2023, 07:42 AM
We have 3 3-stars and an UR player signed. We're 10th in the sec in composite, but the teams we're ahead of only have 1 commit or 2. Our avg per recruit is worst in the sec. In fact our avg per recruit is the worst in the sec since 2020 mizzou.

ETA... in 2020 mizzou only signed 1 guy. The last time a school signed 3 or more with an avg per recruit at 86 or lower was South Carolina in 2016.

I think it's going to be through ponying up for transfers. Jans has shown he can coach. Time to give him some money for talent.

If the Selmon to AD rumors are true it will be nice to bring in someone from a school with solid basketball programs. Maybe he will be able to help the turnaround with Jans.

NCMSTFAN
01-12-2023, 08:02 AM
And that?s dumb too. Of course defense is ahead of offense. I could take 4 good soccer players and a goalie who have never touched a basketball and teach them defense in a few weeks. They?d never score but I bet they?d pretty damn good at defense.

I see you like using the word dumb. I wasn't defending his statement, of course only focusing on defense is ridiculous. That was my point, defense only won't win you games, gotta be able to score the ball. We can't do that and we never had that problem under any other coach.

NCMSTFAN
01-12-2023, 08:49 AM
To put in perspective of how bad our offense is this year:

FG% is 41.1%
FT shooting is 59.9%

I went back as far as our 2002 team, we have never collectively been this bad on offense from a scoring percentage in the last 20 years (at minimum, I didn't look back any further than 2002). The only year our FG% was worse was Rick Rays 1st year, we were at 40% but still shot free throws better. No other year was this bad in either of those categories. That is very concerning, I see alot of people saying Jans can coach and I haven't ruled out that he can. But once teams got film on us and Jackson State exposed our offensive woes, we've looked like a D3 team offensively. That won't work and Jans is the HC so the blame has to go to him, that's just how it works.

TALL DAWG
01-12-2023, 08:49 AM
If i were Coach I would run the entire team TODAY until they either threw up or passed out. 32% FT shooting with several misses being front end of 1 and 1s.
#TotalUnacceptableBS

Rawdawg
01-12-2023, 10:09 AM
If i were Coach I would run the entire team TODAY until they either threw up or passed out. 32% FT shooting with several misses being front end of 1 and 1s.
#TotalUnacceptableBS

Yeah this isn?t the 70s no one is going to do that. I would attempt to change the offensive scheme to where my guards took more shots and got to the basket for easy layups. Instead of Tolu/DJ/Cam getting the majority of the foul shots maybe Shak and Davis could get to the line and knock some down at a higher percentage.

Dawgface
01-12-2023, 10:22 AM
Teach this and win more games. Of course recruiting would go to shat as today's players wouldn't do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmAB_iAO_iM&ab_channel=HoopsMovement

parabrave
01-12-2023, 11:13 AM
Hire Jackie Moon to teach Free Throw shooting

https://youtu.be/M5nKcN8Vo8Q

And also incorporate the Alley Oop with DJ.

https://youtu.be/KD5ggRWkBfI

TALL DAWG
01-12-2023, 01:18 PM
Make them shoot granny shots?Rick Berry style. If a NBA star shot them why not college players.

trob115
01-12-2023, 01:30 PM
Mental? You act like they?ve never played basketball. If you are mentally weak and that causes you to shoot 25% from 15 feet away, you are too soft to be playing in college. It?s poor form and no repeatability.

Jans is quoted as saying so. He's baffled by our ability to not make free throws. Heck , he said Tolu makes 25 in a row in practice , and seemingly can't throw it in a 50 gallon trash can during a game. Same for DJ.

TALL DAWG
01-12-2023, 09:02 PM
If we had made around just 60 percent last night and 68 percent against Bama we would?ve won BOTH games.
Like Coach said, FT shooting is on the players NOT the coaches.
They have GOT to do better.

Ari Gold
01-12-2023, 09:20 PM
Watch this team before the game when they come out to warm up with layups. Hell 99% of them are trying to show how well they can dunk the damn ball. And they don?t make 50% of those. This team has NO LEADERSHIP whatsoever?. That starts with the Head Coach. Jans failed us in recruiting and it is showing. No bench coaching and surely no bench strategy.

I would love to have drinks with Richard Williams and hear how he really thinks about this crap.

I swear I would go get 12 new players next year. No way would they be this bad. Watch Tolu?s media presence on line and look at how they all r goofing around instead of taking this stuff seriously. They don?t give a 2 ��?s about playing basketball for State.

Ready for someone to stand up and be a damn leader?. That includes any coaches too.

Janz failed ..
Is one of the worse takes of 2023 so far

maroonmania
01-12-2023, 10:36 PM
I've literally never seen a team outside of upward basketball be this bad at free throw shooting. I literally did not think it possible to gather this many bad free throw shooters on one college team. Tolu has hit a new level of putrid free throw shooting. Unreal.

Johnson85
01-13-2023, 09:52 AM

I swear I would go get 12 new players next year. No way would they be this bad. Watch Tolu?s media presence on line and look at how they all r goofing around instead of taking this stuff seriously. They don?t give a 2 💩?s about playing basketball for State.

You can just quit watching basketball. We are a well coached team that doesn't have a single shooter on it. You can do a lot of things on offense with one good post player and one good shooter. It gets much harder when you have one good post player and no shooters, and basically impossible when the one good post player can't hit FTs at a >70% clip.

And as much as people are claiming it's so easy to teach college players how to shoot, I'm having trouble coming up with a lot of examples of poor shooters just figuring it out in college. It seems like people either have it or they don't. I've seen players with shitty form shoot pretty well and players with beautiful form not be able to make shit. Certainly better form and better shooting are correlated, but it doesn't seem as easy as just taking a player and having him do some extra shooting drills and fixing them.

Commercecomet24
01-13-2023, 10:31 AM
You can just quit watching basketball. We are a well coached team that doesn't have a single shooter on it. You can do a lot of things on offense with one good post player and one good shooter. It gets much harder when you have one good post player and no shooters, and basically impossible when the one good post player can't hit FTs at a >70% clip.

And as much as people are claiming it's so easy to teach college players how to shoot, I'm having trouble coming up with a lot of examples of poor shooters just figuring it out in college. It seems like people either have it or they don't. I've seen players with shitty form shoot pretty well and players with beautiful form not be able to make shit. Certainly better form and better shooting are correlated, but it doesn't seem as easy as just taking a player and having him do some extra shooting drills and fixing them.

Excellent post!

YazooDawg23
01-13-2023, 11:06 AM
Great thread to illuminate the lack of basketball IQ on this board. It was a miracle what Jans did in the non-conference. Now getting better talent is 100% on him going forward and I do not care what the ranking say we have a few guys coming in that can fill it up. Our guards are extremely mediocre and that must change. If we somehow slip in the tourney this year it will be the greatest coaching job in state history and it won't be close.

NCMSTFAN
01-13-2023, 01:15 PM
Great thread to illuminate the lack of basketball IQ on this board. It was a miracle what Jans did in the non-conference. Now getting better talent is 100% on him going forward and I do not care what the ranking say we have a few guys coming in that can fill it up. Our guards are extremely mediocre and that must change. If we somehow slip in the tourney this year it will be the greatest coaching job in state history and it won't be close.

Who do we have coming in that can fill it up and where are you getting that from? I've watched film on all our new guys coming in and really haven't seen fill it up talent.

Adrian Myers averaged 16 ppg, 7 rpg, 3 assist out of high school
Jaquan Scott averaged 8.2. ppg and 4.9 rebounds in JUCO
Lorenzo (Trey) Fort initially played at Tennesse Marting and averaged 2.6 ppg. He did transfer to JUCO where he averaged 26 ppg so possibly him?
Gai Chol 7 foot big man, he is probably our best recruit.. he had some pretty good offers but he is also still a work in progress

Jans will have to hit the portal hard because I doubt we get alot our of our recruiting class. I hope I'm wrong

maroonmania
01-13-2023, 01:21 PM
What's crazy is that Tolu's FT% is down 13 points from last year (65 to 52) and DJs is down 20 points (73 to 52). Problem is those 2 guys have taken 158 of our 309 FT attempts. I mean has Jans done something to disrupt their mechanics or something? That is a huge disparity from one year to the next. And while I don't see the numbers for SEC play only I'm sure the discrepancy is even much worse.

SpaceBully
01-13-2023, 01:46 PM

Were not with the current talent. We have to get players like Cam Matthews.....BUT, they have to be able to shoot. Indeed, Howland's strength was recruiting, but hopefully won't be Jans weakness.

Lord McBuckethead
01-13-2023, 05:22 PM
to improve, all they have to do is get really good at hitting 15 foot shots.