PDA

View Full Version : Zac Selmon is our new AD?

Thick
01-11-2023, 04:42 PM
Friend of mine just texted me. Confirmation?

BlackSailsDawg
01-11-2023, 04:47 PM
Is touring campus. But seems to not be exactly hired yet. Benko is the other choice.

Really Clark?
01-11-2023, 04:47 PM

He was on the list as a top candidate

BeardoMSU
01-11-2023, 05:24 PM
This would be great!

Coach34
01-11-2023, 05:55 PM
well, he certainly comes from a pretty damn good football pedigree

BuckyIsAB****
01-11-2023, 06:35 PM
Yes

KOdawg1
01-11-2023, 09:01 PM
Seems to be the guy according to Dellenger.

I'm on board with it. A lot of people wanted Benko and I did too, but Selmon is well respected in the industry. Great blood lines too.

Many are worried he would leave us. To that I say, we just had a guy who played here, graduated here, and coached here leave us for a division rival. You can't be scared to hire a guy because he might leave. You hire a guy because you think he can elevate your program(s) and then if he leaves, you hope he leaves you better than he found you. We had Greg Byrne for 2 years and he is one of my favorite ADs that we've ever had.

PikeDawg15
01-11-2023, 10:53 PM
I know nothing about the guy but I love the fact he is coming from a Blue Blood school that has plenty of money

Maybe he knows a thing or 2 about fundraising and getting our NIL up

HoopsDawg
01-11-2023, 10:59 PM

I don't know much about him other than he's never been an AD before.

HoopsDawg
01-11-2023, 11:00 PM
well, he certainly comes from a pretty damn good football pedigree

was that his dad in the Marcus Dupree 30 for 30? I think he was the one who said "there's always an uncle", ha.

Really Clark?
01-11-2023, 11:02 PM
was that his dad in the Marcus Dupree 30 for 30? I think he was the one who said "there's always an uncle", ha.

You may be right! I forgot about that.

StarkVegasSteve
01-11-2023, 11:06 PM

That is his uncle. His uncles are Lee Roy and Lucius Selmon. Lucius was on staff at OU from 76-94 and Lee Roy was 1/1 in 76 draft as well as the USF AD from 01-04. Had to resign due to health. And his dad, Dewey, although not as accomplished as his brothers has a PhD from Oklahoma.

I really believe this is an outstanding hire.

Medic601
01-11-2023, 11:06 PM

Not sure if it was his father - I didnt research too deep but I did find this about his family...

"The Selmon name is synonymous with Oklahoma athletics. Selmon's father, Dewey, and uncles Lee Roy and Lucious Selmon are among the most decorated players in OU football history. The trio was honored last season with a statue on campus. OU went 54-3-1 with at least one Selmon brother on the field and won two national championships in that stretch (1971-1975)."

Coach34
01-11-2023, 11:11 PM
His Dad played for Tampa Bay in the 70’s. There were 3 Selmon brothers that played at OU and in the NFL.

Todd4State
01-12-2023, 12:18 AM

How ironic.

Todd4State
01-12-2023, 12:19 AM
Nothing against Benko but I'm glad we actually hired someone outside of the Larry Templeton circle of influence for the first time since LT took over.

EdwardDrayton
01-12-2023, 12:38 AM
I hope this is true. Young, educated, bright, seasoned, humble, stellar character, great family legacy and a former player himself I think. He would be a great choice.

Commercecomet24
01-12-2023, 12:39 AM
His Dad played for Tampa Bay in the 70’s. There were 3 Selmon brothers that played at OU and in the NFL.

Lucious, Dewey and Lee Roy. I remember watching them back in the 70s at Oklahoma back when Thomas Lott and JC Watts were running the wishbone there lol. Long time ago!

EdwardDrayton
01-12-2023, 12:52 AM
Lucious, Dewey and Lee Roy. I remember watching them back in the 70s at Oklahoma back when Thomas Lott and JC Watts were running the wishbone there lol. Long time ago!

I don't remember Dewey and Lucious. But think I remember Lee Roy playing for the Bucs? So Lee Roy is his Dad?

Commercecomet24
01-12-2023, 01:01 AM
I don't remember Dewey and Lucious. But think I remember Lee Roy playing for the Bucs? So Lee Roy is his Dad?

Dewey is his Dad.

Ari Gold
01-12-2023, 07:58 AM
This would not only be a home run hire but a grand slam..

basedog
01-12-2023, 08:08 AM
Back in the 70's, I had a chance to have dinner with Lucious, Switzer and a high school player (RB James Berry who ended up at Tn. Anyway, I had a really good friend who was a huge Oklahoma fan. He had contacted Switzer about James Berry, so he and Lucious who was on the staff came to Mississippi to do in house recruiting. We all met at my friend's house who had hired a caterer to cook dinner. Anyway, my friend picked up Switzer and Lucious at the airport and gave them the "scoop" on Berry. After Dinner, Switzer asked my friend if he could borrow his car and take Berry home. I asked why Switzer wanted to take him home, he told me he was "cutting the deal", LOL! But that night Lucious who was very entertaining and such a great guy, told some of the funniest stories growing up poor, sleeping in the same bed with his brothers, riding in a wagon because they couldn't afford a vehicle and playing for the Sooners and Switzer.
Switzer was charming but he also was very arrogant but nice, his charming was fun to watch entertaining Berry. Lucious was down to earth, Berry played at Tn and stayed hurt pretty much the whole time he was at Tn. He was a great High School running back from Natchez, I remember going to Memphis to watch us play Tn in a day game when Bob Tyler was coaching, and we upset Tn that day!

Spiderman
01-12-2023, 08:58 AM

Good god, I hope not

BeardoMSU
01-12-2023, 09:02 AM
Good god, I hope not

Why?

CoachT14
01-12-2023, 09:03 AM
This would not only be a home run hire but a grand slam..

Ya'll probably know more than me. Seems a lot of people like him, my only reservation is the fundraising side of things. It's easy to fundraise at a blue blood and say look what I've done. We aren't a blue blood. It takes a different type of fundraising here I would think. I could easily be wrong. Like I said, it seems like a really good hire on the surface.

Spiderman
01-12-2023, 09:11 AM
Why?

Do you want someone with that limited experiance hiring your next coaches? 4 month search and you go with a guy who has never been an AD? Just seems like a gamble we shouldn't have to take

Coursesuper
01-12-2023, 09:14 AM
Do you want someone with that limited experiance hiring your next coaches? 4 month search and you go with a guy who has never been an AD? Just seems like a gamble we shouldn't have to take

Its a done deal, Selmon is the guy.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-12-2023, 09:18 AM
Ya'll probably know more than me. Seems a lot of people like him, my only reservation is the fundraising side of things. It's easy to fundraise at a blue blood and say look what I've done. We aren't a blue blood. It takes a different type of fundraising here I would think. I could easily be wrong. Like I said, it seems like a really good hire on the surface.

True but I feel like this is the type of hire you need to make if you are serious about continuing to elevate your athletic program. Plus any fundraising effort will seem superhuman in comparison to Cohen.

Really Clark?
01-12-2023, 09:21 AM
Wait, Bracky turned down the job? I thought he was the hire!! I'm shocked I tell you! Shocked!***

Tough Dawg
01-12-2023, 09:24 AM
Thank God you're not in charge.

EdwardDrayton
01-12-2023, 09:27 AM
Its a done deal, Selmon is the guy.

Outstanding!!

William Tecumsah Sherman
01-12-2023, 09:36 AM
Byrne, the Ninja, was a first time AD

Cooterpoot
01-12-2023, 09:50 AM
Selmon is a good hire. We've broken the chains of MSU good ole boy bullshit! Finally!!!

State82
01-12-2023, 09:51 AM
Two words for anyone scoffing at this hire --- John. Cohen.

redstickdawg
01-12-2023, 09:52 AM
I'm waiting for Bert Stare to confirm.

BlackSailsDawg
01-12-2023, 10:19 AM
I like the hire. Now let's see if he can deliver and what he can do to make MSU better.

TrapGame
01-12-2023, 10:23 AM
This has the potential to be Byrne 2.0. It's a damn good hire.

Coach34
01-12-2023, 10:28 AM
We aren't looking to "woke" things up or are being forced into some diversity hire. We have a guy from a pretty good football pedigree that played in college- now is into the admin side of things. He obviously impressed enough to beat out other candidates. Let's roll.

If we are being honest- the cheerleader and the baseball coach didn't set the bar overly high.

Thick
01-12-2023, 11:15 AM

When are we going to fire somebody? Lemonis has won our lone NC, and basketball and football are new hires. He won?t be replacing any of those for at least 3-4 years respectively.

LibraryDawg
01-12-2023, 11:33 AM
What are the chances he brings Leah Beasley back with him? The external affairs job is open again. Make her a Senior Executive AD and roll.

StarkVegasSteve
01-12-2023, 12:23 PM
We aren't looking to "woke" things up or are being forced into some diversity hire. We have a guy from a pretty good football pedigree that played in college- now is into the admin side of things. He obviously impressed enough to beat out other candidates. Let's roll.

If we are being honest- the cheerleader and the baseball coach didn't set the bar overly high.

Did anyone say this was a woke hire? I have not seen that mentioned anywhere. This is just a good hire. Selmon is a solid hire with a good track record in fundraising.

StarkVegasSteve
01-12-2023, 12:24 PM
What are the chances he brings Leah Beasley back with him? The external affairs job is open again. Make her a Senior Executive AD and roll.

0.01%. Leah wants to be an AD soon and sees Oklahoma as a better program to make that leap from.

EdwardDrayton
01-12-2023, 01:49 PM
So let's announce something already!!! AD. OC. Equipment Manager. Anything!!!

Turfdawg67
01-12-2023, 03:27 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/rppGtpCG/E57255-F7-3521-43-E7-A650-33-DF55-C74748.gif

Elwood: "We got first time HC, a first time AD and a very green OC. It's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."
Jake: "Hit it!"

47straight2381
01-12-2023, 06:36 PM
Did anyone say this was a woke hire? I have not seen that mentioned anywhere. This is just a good hire. Selmon is a solid hire with a good track record in fundraising.

Zac Selmon has been the Asst. Ad at Oklahoma and was being groomed to replace Joe Castiglione, one of the finest AD's in the country. As a Sooner fan, I wish Zac and Mississippi State the best and hope that maybe we can have him back in a few years. He is definitely not an "affirmative action" hire. He has done an excellent job in fund raising
and will add class to any program he is associated with.

LibraryDawg
01-12-2023, 06:45 PM
Preparations began at the Bryan Building today for a press conference tomorrow so I?d expect official word from the university sometime tonight on Selmon.

Saltydog
01-12-2023, 08:49 PM
Would we be the only SEC school other than Vandy to hire a black AD?

SPMT
01-12-2023, 08:57 PM
Are we the only other SEC school other than Vandy to hire a black AD?

UGA had a black guy around 2010. He got fired after getting pulled over with a female and drunk. Nice guy.

MrCoachKlein
01-12-2023, 09:10 PM
UGA had a black guy around 2010. He got fired after getting pulled over with a female and drunk. Nice guy.

Can he play TE?

DownwardDawg
01-12-2023, 09:13 PM
Good god, I hope not

There's always one....

NCDawg
01-12-2023, 09:19 PM
Would we be the only SEC school other than Vandy to hire a black AD?

No, I think Auburn hired a black AD in 2018, but he resigned or was fired last year.

Ari Gold
01-12-2023, 09:39 PM

Not only hell no. But hell mother ****ing no..

Spiderman
01-12-2023, 09:47 PM
There's always one....

yeah, one who looks at things rationally

MrCoachKlein
01-12-2023, 09:48 PM
yeah, one who looks at things rationally

What are your issues with him? I read the whole thread. Maybe I missed it though

Spiderman
01-12-2023, 10:48 PM
What are your issues with him? I read the whole thread. Maybe I missed it though

that there are safer hires and we aren't in the position where we had to gamble on a maybe

NCDawg
01-12-2023, 10:58 PM
that there are safer hires and we aren't in the position where we had to gamble on a maybe

I agree the hire seems to be somewhat "wokeish". We are passing over the GA Southern AD for a guy that has never been an AD.

Coach34
01-12-2023, 11:13 PM
aGAIN I say- the previous 2 AD's were average at best. They were hired away to be yes men to handle the little shit the Big Boys didnt want to deal with.

Could this guy really be worse than them? What could he do worse than them? AD is probably the easiest job on campus other than teaching PE in the PE dept

Ari Gold
01-13-2023, 08:15 AM
ask Anyone at Oklahoma, that was at Oklahoma while ZS was there , or anyone that is in the sports business if this was a good hire or not .
The answer that has come back 100% of the time is YES

If you don’t have connections or avenues to ask these questions then your opinion about the hire is just that your opinion and it’s prob wrong

EdwardDrayton
01-13-2023, 08:53 AM

Safer? What does that mean?

MrCoachKlein
01-13-2023, 08:54 AM
Safer? What does that mean?

I think he means benko or a guy who's been an ad before.

EdwardDrayton
01-13-2023, 08:57 AM
I agree the hire seems to be somewhat "wokeish". We are passing over the GA Southern AD for a guy that has never been an AD.

Selmon is young, well-educated, seasoned at several top-notch programs, humble, stellar character, great family legacy and is a former player. How the f$&k is this even remotely "wokeish". This is a damn fine hire.

gtowndawg
01-13-2023, 09:01 AM
Selmon is young, well-educated, seasoned at several top-notch programs, humble, stellar character, great family legacy and is a former player. How the f$&k is this even remotely "wokeish". This is a damn fine hire.

Agreed, I think it's a solid hire. Also hoping they focused on a fundraiser hoping he can make an NIL impact (at least behind the scenes).

EdwardDrayton
01-13-2023, 09:01 AM
I think he means benko or a guy who's been an ad before.

Every AD ever was at some point in their 'first' AD job.

We make way too much out of folks never having been something before.

EdwardDrayton
01-13-2023, 09:29 AM
Agreed, I think it's a solid hire. Also hoping they focused on a fundraiser hoping he can make an NIL impact (at least behind the scenes).

I've seen a bit of an interview where he and couple of others are talking about fund-raising. Want to go back and watch all of it but saw enough to know he's at least solid in his understanding of fund-raising.

47straight2381
01-13-2023, 11:16 AM
From a Sooner fan here: Selmon was being groomed at Oklahoma to replace Joe Castiglione, one of the top AD's in the nation. When Castiglione retires in a few years, maybe we can have him back if you see some better fruit for the picking.

KentuckyDawg13
01-13-2023, 12:17 PM
https://hailstate.com/news/2023/1/13/zac-selmon-named-athletics-director-at-mississippi-state.aspx

StarkVegasSteve
01-13-2023, 12:29 PM
He's EXTREMELY well spoken and seems to have a very engaging personality. I know it's not our philosophy to win the press conference, but I think we won this one.

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 01:09 PM
The very beginning of his speech...NIL...yes sir

MrCoachKlein
01-13-2023, 01:26 PM

As a person that looks for the propaganda or 'narrative' in every commercial, TV show, news headline, whatever I didn't even have 1 thought about it being woke. I guess because he's black?

Agree with what you said.

NCDawg
01-13-2023, 01:31 PM
As a person that looks for the propaganda or 'narrative' in every commercial, TV show, news headline, whatever I didn't even have 1 thought about it being woke. I guess because he's black?

Agree with what you said.

I would imagine it's probably easier fund raising in Oklahoma because of the Selmon name than it will be in Mississippi. I hope he is successful.

SpaceBully
01-13-2023, 01:51 PM
About a month ago, I mentioned Selmon as a serious candidate and many flat out told me no way he becomes the next AD. Said we were just interviewing him to show we checked that box. Er well, hope there aren't any hurt feelings now that he is the man.

MrCoachKlein
01-13-2023, 02:20 PM
I would imagine it's probably easier fund raising in Oklahoma because of the Selmon name than it will be in Mississippi. I hope he is successful.

I'm sure it is regardless of name lol. At least that's his current job (fundraising). We could use that. Luckily he should have at least 3 years before making coaching hires. Hopefully a lot longer

MrCoachKlein
01-13-2023, 02:24 PM
Every AD ever was at some point in their 'first' AD job.

We make way too much out of folks never having been something before.

Agreed. We're not a blue blood we have to take risks on up and comers to advance or just tread water with retreads.

Would you rather have a guy that leaves for double $ and a more prestigious job in 3 years because he kicked ass or a mediocre hire that no one wants and stocks around for 2 decades?

I'd rather have to replace because we made a great hire and they moved on.

Really Clark?
01-13-2023, 02:24 PM
Considering who he is replacing, he has a pretty low bar in increasing our fundraising and NIL efforts.

MrCoachKlein
01-13-2023, 02:50 PM
Considering who he is replacing, he has a pretty low bar in increasing our fundraising and NIL efforts.

As long as he doesn't cut off my d*** or paste one on

tribaldawg
01-13-2023, 06:52 PM
Cohen had less AD type experience when hired and Auburn ended up hiring him away (not sure why). I will take Selmon every day of the week.

tribaldawg
01-13-2023, 06:56 PM
I really think he is being groomed for the Oklahoma AD job but needs experience as an actual AD. I see him staying for 5-10 years then heading back to Oklahoma. There is no doubt the guy is 100% Oklahoma and I won?t blame him if that is how it plays out. Then again, he may fall in love with Mississippi State.

HailState2008
01-13-2023, 07:41 PM

What an idiotic statement?

GATORDawg1234
01-14-2023, 03:32 AM
I do not understand why having family members who played football gives someone ?good blood lines? for a high IQ administrative position.

This was a terrible hire that relegates State once again to the back of the bus. Hiring him sealed the deal ? on top of not hiring Mullen over Arnett. The program is deteriorating: fast!

PGHBulldogBG
01-14-2023, 03:31 PM

Was Stricklin actually a cheerleader for state? Or where did this nickname came from? I legit don?t know but if he was a cheerleader LOL

NCMSTFAN
01-14-2023, 07:44 PM

I get tired of dumbass statements like this! The ONLY reason you are saying this is a woke hire is because the man is Black. I promise you can't name a legit reason why this seems "wokeish" other than his color. Please prove me wrong