PDA

View Full Version : AD Search

confucius say
01-09-2023, 03:38 PM
With all the attention on the OC, the AD search kind of went off the radar. It's been 10 weeks now since Cohen left. I would think we have to be close. Any news?

Turfdawg67
01-09-2023, 04:11 PM
Greg Byrne! Bring him home!

I kid, but since the Kliff Kingsberry thread is now three pages long, I figure another silly one will be too. Lol..

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2023, 04:31 PM
Sounds like it'll come down to Benko or Zac Selmon at Oklahoma. I would imagine Wicker still has an outside shot.

I know the search committee's preferred candidate was Danny White at FAU, but I don't think he's in the running anymore.

Cooterpoot
01-09-2023, 04:53 PM
I was told a few weeks ago to watch out for another person. But Benko seems like the choice if it's not.

BrunswickDawg
01-09-2023, 04:57 PM
Sounds like it'll come down to Benko or Zac Selmon at Oklahoma. I would imagine Wicker still has an outside shot.

I know the search committee's preferred candidate was Danny White at FAU, but I don't think he's in the running anymore.

Danny White is at Tennessee. His brother Brian White is at FAU. Their other brother Mike is basketball coach at UGA, sister is asst. AD at SMU. Their dad is Kevin White - former Tulane, Arizona, Notre Dame, and Duke AD.
I'd consider Brian White to be a dang good hire. Which means we won't hire him

bulldawg28
01-09-2023, 05:38 PM
Danny White is at Tennessee. His brother Brian White is at FAU. Their other brother Mike is basketball coach at UGA, sister is asst. AD at SMU. Their dad is Kevin White - former Tulane, Arizona, Notre Dame, and Duke AD.

Amazing pedigree!

EdwardDrayton
01-09-2023, 05:52 PM
Having been unable to secure an AD, in October MSU will eliminate the position and allocate the monies amongst the remaining athletic staff.

State becomes the spark of this new wave as AD positions across the college landscape cease to exist.

msu15
01-09-2023, 05:59 PM

Of course we're going to **** this up. WE ARE*clap clap clap* MSU!

Extendedcab
01-09-2023, 06:29 PM
Having been unable to secure an AD, in October MSU will eliminate the position and allocate the monies amongst the remaining athletic staff.

State becomes the spark of this new wave as AD positions across the college landscape cease to exist.

Why not****?

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2023, 06:32 PM

My bad on that. Definitely Brian White that was the preferred candidate of the search committee. Agree that White would be a hell of a hire.

Homedawg
01-09-2023, 07:08 PM
Of course we're going to **** this up. WE ARE*clap clap clap* MSU!

Benko is a solid hire if it's him. But if someone is better I'm fine w that. Love to know how you know we are fing it up. Or you just complaining to complain.

confucius say
01-09-2023, 07:15 PM
Benko is a good hire

My concern is we need to get it done sooner than later. Some people in our department would like some job certainty I'm sure. Maybe could have kept Rhett if we had an AD in place who could promote and give him a raise when the auburn job came.

bulldog20
01-09-2023, 07:15 PM
Benko is a solid hire if it's him. But if someone is better I'm fine w that. Love to know how you know we are fing it up. Or you just complaining to complain.

Do you think it could possibly be Mike Alford or Brian White?

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2023, 07:17 PM

No. Both would be home run hires. I don't know how seriously Alford ever considered us. White was probably a reasonable candidate.

Really Clark?
01-09-2023, 07:17 PM

Wait, I thought Whiskey-douche told us Brackey is being promoted full time because of certain boosters.***

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2023, 07:19 PM
Benko is a good hire

My concern is we need to get it done sooner than later. Some people in our department would like some job certainty I'm sure. Maybe could have kept Rhett if we had an AD in place who could promote and give him a raise when the auburn job came.

Rhett leaving had nothing to do with who the new AD was. He left so he can hopefully get the job when it comes open again. Auburn will be his last stop that he is not in the AD chair. He is very highly thought of in the athletic administration world. John Currie, John Cohen, Scott Stricklin, and Greg Byrne all speak and think very highly of him.

TheLostDawg
01-09-2023, 07:33 PM
Rhett leaving had nothing to do with who the new AD was. He left so he can hopefully get the job when it comes open again. Auburn will be his last stop that he is not in the AD chair. He is very highly thought of in the athletic administration world. John Currie, John Cohen, Scott Stricklin, and Greg Byrne all speak and think very highly of him.

Yeah I'm glad he left. He needs to get as much experience outside of here as possible and I hope we bring him back before it's too late.

bulldog20
01-09-2023, 07:47 PM
No. Both would be home run hires. I don't know how seriously Alford ever considered us. White was probably a reasonable candidate.

Gotcha. Just wondering if it was strictly down to Benko & Selmon or not.

Homedawg
01-09-2023, 08:34 PM

I'll be honest, I have no clue. I just thought Benko would get it before we started. Don't think Alford is getting it.

Coach34
01-09-2023, 08:39 PM
Selmon comes from a strong bloodline of good players. Got to at least like that

yjnkdawg
01-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Wait, I thought Whiskey-douche told us Brackey is being promoted full time because of certain boosters.***

Maybe he got his info off of 247 or Bert Stare told him that. lol

Commercecomet24
01-10-2023, 12:07 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Really Clark? again.

StarkVegasSteve
01-10-2023, 12:41 PM

There's a faction of big time boosters that wanted Brackey to get the full time job. They like the access and perks they're afforded when MSU lifers are in big time positions because they've cultivated relationships with those people over decades. That shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. It was the same with Cohen. It's why it's almost impossible to hire guys with no prior relationships. Because those guys cutting the checks want access. The best I've ever heard it is that those guys having access to info and decision making at the college level is akin to the billionaires that have access and info for professional teams. They want to be able to brag to their friends at the Reunion country club bar or the in their box at Davis Wade that they helped us with [insert player]. Obviously we don't have guys of that type of money (Jimmy Rayne, David Nutt, CT Fitzpatrick, the Saudis at A&M) but it's big money for them.

It's what makes what Saban did at Bama so impressive. Because he came in and told the boosters, the admin, and the town exactly how it was going to go. He gave them the blueprint and told them to get the hell out of the way and he would contact them when needed. And they did. It's what doesn't happen at any other school.

AROB44
01-10-2023, 05:28 PM
There's a faction of big time boosters that wanted Brackey to get the full time job. They like the access and perks they're afforded when MSU lifers are in big time positions because they've cultivated relationships with those people over decades. That shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. It was the same with Cohen. It's why it's almost impossible to hire guys with no prior relationships. Because those guys cutting the checks want access. The best I've ever heard it is that those guys having access to info and decision making at the college level is akin to the billionaires that have access and info for professional teams. They want to be able to brag to their friends at the Reunion country club bar or the in their box at Davis Wade that they helped us with [insert player]. Obviously we don't have guys of that type of money (Jimmy Rayne, David Nutt, CT Fitzpatrick, the Saudis at A&M) but it's big money for them.

It's what makes what Saban did at Bama so impressive. Because he came in and told the boosters, the admin, and the town exactly how it was going to go. He gave them the blueprint and told them to get the hell out of the way and he would contact them when needed. And they did. It's what doesn't happen at any other school.

That's the operative sentence here. Folks who write the big checks want access and input.

Goldendawg
01-10-2023, 05:41 PM
Don't have to have a name, but do any Elitedawgs know any of the "cigar boys". I keep hearing of them, but have never seen or heard from them myself. Are they as undercover as Bigfoot?***

DownwardDawg
01-10-2023, 06:03 PM
That's the operative sentence here. Folks who write the big checks want access and input.

It's every single SEC school and most of the other schools as well. Who do you think hired Freeze at auburn? Lol at the people that think Cohen hired him. Cohen was told what was going to happen.

EdwardDrayton
01-10-2023, 07:24 PM

In my defense and for the sake of everything good, I valiantly tried not to laugh at this. Whiskey-douche! LOL!!!

BrunswickDawg
01-10-2023, 08:08 PM
It's every single SEC school and most of the other schools as well. Who do you think hired Freeze at auburn? Lol at the people that think Cohen hired him. Cohen was told what was going to happen.

I had to reread it - his sentence about "any other school" is about how Saban has kept the Bama donors at bay. Bama donors were notoriously meddlesome post Bear. Hell, Bear's son was one of the worst. It's why they floundered during the 80s and late 90s/early 00s. UGA had some of the same post Dooley.

msu15
01-10-2023, 08:36 PM
I had to reread it - his sentence about "any other school" is about how Saban has kept the Bama donors at bay. Bama donors were notoriously meddlesome post Bear. Hell, Bear's son was one of the worst. It's why they floundered during the 80s and late 90s/early 00s. UGA had some of the same post Dooley.

Yep. It's why, outside of when they stole Cam from us at the 11th hour, Auburn hasn't done jack shit for all this time.

DownwardDawg
01-10-2023, 09:02 PM

That makes a lot of sense. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Saban retires.

Homedawg
01-10-2023, 09:14 PM
Don't have to have a name, but do any Elitedawgs know any of the "cigar boys". I keep hearing of them, but have never seen or heard from them myself. Are they as undercover as Bigfoot?***

The cigar boys back in the day when the term came up was referring to a cigar smoke after a win at Scott field. Some included were mickey holliman, hassell Franklin and Albert Clark. Those were some but not all. All 3 of those have done more than fair share for msu athletics. With that said, there were then and are now, many missing people from the list of influentials.

WeDemBoyz
01-10-2023, 10:27 PM
Im a plumber for what has got to big the biggest booster. Hes in finance. Never seen his name mentioned but i can guarantee you the kind of wealth they have is enough to fund anything they want state to have. Whats crazy is, I?ve been their plumber for 3 years and never even laid eyes on him. He?s like a ghost. I deal with his estate manager and his wife almost every week for something on all of their properties. If i ever do get to meet him, I?ve got a few questions!!

StarkVegasSteve
01-11-2023, 09:44 AM

I basically know who they all are. I know a couple of them very closely and periphery on a couple of others. They're who you think they are. It's not too hard to figure out. And don't get me wrong, they do A BUNCH for Mississippi State. One in particular has funded more projects for athletics than you'll ever know. But there's a few that are so stuck in their ways and the way things always operated. They did not like Greg Byrne. They didn't particularly like Stricklin but accepted him because he was a State grad and he was Bailey Howell's son in law. They loved Cohen because he was the most like Templeton. It's why that group wanted to keep Brackey. It's all about influence and how much power they perceive they have over decisions. In actuality they don't have much, but them thinking they do keeps the checks rolling in.

Dawgface
01-11-2023, 10:00 AM
I basically know who they all are. I know a couple of them very closely and periphery on a couple of others. They're who you think they are. It's not too hard to figure out. And don't get me wrong, they do A BUNCH for Mississippi State. One in particular has funded more projects for athletics than you'll ever know. But there's a few that are so stuck in their ways and the way things always operated. They did not like Greg Byrne. They didn't particularly like Stricklin but accepted him because he was a State grad and he was Bailey Howell's son in law. They loved Cohen because he was the most like Templeton. It's why that group wanted to keep Brackey. It's all about influence and how much power they perceive they have over decisions. In actuality they don't have much, but them thinking they do keeps the checks rolling in.

As long as they keep the checks coming great. But I hope MK holds his ground.