PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst game at DWS

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2023, 08:28 AM
Thread stolen from SPS bc I think it will be entertaining.

What is your best game atmosphere ever attended at DWS?

What is your worst game atmosphere ever attended at DWS? Not counting 2020.

Best for me is hard bc Ill be honest I have been to a lot more good ones than bad. I first started going to every home game in about 2004. 2014 games would be easy to say but my personal favorite is the 2013 Egg. 2017 LSU was jumping too

Worst is probably vs Tulane in 2006. We lost. We were losing 32-7 at one point. We put Omar Conner at QB and we came back to make it 32-29 but it was just depressing

sleepy dawg
01-09-2023, 09:27 AM
You're right, 2014 is easy. Auburn 2014 is the best.

The worst is tough, but 1st thing that came to mind was 2016 when we lost to South Alabama at home 1st game of the season. They outscored 14-0 in the 4th quarter to win 21-20. I believe it was an 11:00 (or at least not a night game). I remember sitting there after it was over like the entire season was over before it even began. I had hoped for another good season, but now 1 week in I knew it was already done.

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2023, 09:27 AM
Best game atmosphere is Florida 09. Campus was rocking and the stadium was electric from warmups.

Worst game atmosphere is probably Houston 09. 11 AM game. We had just lost to LSU in the heartbreaker a week before. It was dreary and depressing. Also The Junction was torn to hell. There was almost no grass because it had been ruined the week before.

A close second would be Arkansas 08. The last home game for Croom. We won on a missed FG last second, but there was no one there.

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2023, 09:37 AM
Best game atmosphere is Florida 09. Campus was rocking and the stadium was electric from warmups.

Worst game atmosphere is probably Houston 09. 11 AM game. We had just lost to LSU in the heartbreaker a week before. It was dreary and depressing. Also The Junction was torn to hell. There was almost no grass because it had been ruined the week before.

A close second would be Arkansas 08. The last home game for Croom. We won on a missed FG last second, but there was no one there.

Was at all 3. The refs absolutely hosed us vs Houston called 2 tds back and at one point tried to give Houston a 5th down. Man thanks for reminding me haha

BrunswickDawg
01-09-2023, 09:43 AM
As a student: '91 Texas & '92 Florida were two of the best. The Texas was just wild in the student section - and was a huge win against a ranked team in Jackie's 2nd game. '92 Florida - ranked Florida on a Thursday night (back when that was a big deal), with Shane "I was too good for any Mississippi School" Matthews. Underrated - '94 Tennessee - First game for Peyton Manning. Worst was '93 Arkansas State

As an alum: '96 Bama/'98 Arkansas/'14 Auburn are my best. '16 South Alabama (I thankfully never went to a Slytanic game at home).

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2023, 09:49 AM
Was at all 3. The refs absolutely hosed us vs Houston called 2 tds back and at one point tried to give Houston a 5th down. Man thanks for reminding me haha

We would have been 7-6 that year had Dan known he could challenge a play.

Also completely forgot about the without a doubt worst game atmosphere: 2019 Abilene Christian. Cold, rainy, wind blowing 50 mph, and everyone in the stadium(of which there were very few) wanted Moorhead fired

parabrave
01-09-2023, 10:21 AM
Best is a Tie. Fla 92 and The Bama 07 game.

Worst was Bama 09,

Leroy Jenkins
01-09-2023, 11:17 AM
https://imgc.allpostersimages.com/img/posters/remember-the-maine-pin_u-L-PZO8TD0.jpg?artPerspective=n

Commercecomet24
01-09-2023, 11:39 AM
1998 Arky game when we won the west. I was sitting on the 20 yard line in row 5 on the west side with my 4 year old son. Brian Hazlewood lined up to kick that game winning fg right in front of us and with the angle there was no way I could see if it was gonna be good or not so I just watched Hazlewood and his reaction. The place was shaking it was so loud! Me and my son went down on the field and almost got hit by the goal post in the south end zone when they came down. We dug up some Maroon and White dirt from the end zone and I still have that dirt in a zip lock bag! A memory I'll never forget!

lastmajordog
01-09-2023, 12:10 PM
Three best
1. Bond and Co. defeating LSU in first night game and bitter cold at DW.
2. Dave Marler defeating Florida State with a howling north wind.
3. Sherrill defeating Bama first time.
4. Sherrill defeating Eli in his soph year. Thanks D.Miller (What a warrior).
5. Bellard and Johnie Cooks defeating Kelly and the U. Probably the most incredible defensive effort ever from the DOGS.

1. Losing to USM, I think the year DOGS beat the Bear.
2. Losing to Auburn in 78.
3. Losing in the rain to Eli, Sherrill?s last game.

JMO

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2023, 12:22 PM
Best is a Tie. Fla 92 and The Bama 07 game.

Worst was Bama 09,

I think we wore black for Bama in 09. It was a pretty good atmosphere I felt like

parabrave
01-09-2023, 12:47 PM
Three best
1. Bond and Co. defeating LSU in first night game and bitter cold at DW.
2. Dave Marler defeating Florida State with a howling north wind.
3. Sherrill defeating Bama first time.
4. Sherrill defeating Eli in his soph year. Thanks D.Miller (What a warrior).
5. Bellard and Johnie Cooks defeating Kelly and the U. Probably the most incredible defensive effort ever from the DOGS.

1. Losing to USM, I think the year DOGS beat the Bear.
2. Losing to Auburn in 78.
3. Losing in the rain to Eli, Sherrill?s last game.

JMO

Yep USM was 1980, Reggie Collier went totally apeshit that day.

Really Clark?
01-09-2023, 12:49 PM
Yep USM was 1980, Reggie Collier went totally apeshit that day.

Reggie playing in todays game of spread option zone reads...my goodness

Maroonthirteen
01-09-2023, 01:06 PM
Florida '00 was pretty fun.

parabrave
01-09-2023, 01:13 PM
Reggie playing in todays game of spread option zone reads...my goodness

Had to play against him in HS. I still say that he was one of the best QBs in the history of Mississippi FB.

Really Clark?
01-09-2023, 01:19 PM
Had to play against him in HS. I still say that he was one of the best QBs in the history of Mississippi FB.

Agree. He was beast. 2 QB's playing out of their time in the state, Reggie and Steve McNair. Those 2 playing in the modern dual threat QB offenses...Heisman winners.

BrunswickDawg
01-09-2023, 02:12 PM
Agree. He was beast. 2 QB's playing out of their time in the state, Reggie and Steve McNair. Those 2 playing in the modern dual threat QB offenses...Heisman winners.

Hell, McNair came in 3rd for the Heisman as it was.
It's criminal that McNair wasn't our QB in the 1990s. I wonder if Jackie had been hired a year earlier if we could have gotten him as a QB. Imagine McNair throwing to Keyshawn Johnson AND Eric Moulds, with Bouie and Davis pounding the rock. We would have been unstoppable!

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2023, 02:28 PM
It's criminal that McNair wasn't our QB in the 1990s. I wonder if Jackie had been hired a year earlier if we could have gotten him as a QB. Imagine McNair throwing to Keyshawn Johnson AND Eric Moulds, with Bouie and Davis pounding the rock. We would have been unstoppable!
Can someone who was around at the time explain the Keyshawn Johnson thing for me? That was a couple of years before my time

BrunswickDawg
01-09-2023, 03:10 PM
Can someone who was around at the time explain the Keyshawn Johnson thing for me? That was a couple of years before my time

The story I've heard is Keyshawn was recruited out of JUCO to come to State by Jackie. Got here, spent a week in the summer (I believe), and decided MS was a little bit too much "not California" for him and went back to California.

ETA: The early 90s was a wild time in Starkville. You never knew who would show up. Andre Agassi was dating a tennis player, you could buy Jerry Rice a drink at Cheers, John Popper from Blues Traveler would cruise frat row looking for pre-concert coke, Garth was wearing State football jerseys and Boys 2 Men were wearing MoverS hats to awards shows.

StarkVegasSteve
01-09-2023, 03:11 PM
The story I've heard is Keyshawn was recruited out of JUCO to come to State by Jackie. Got here, spent a week in the summer (I believe), and decided MS was a little bit too much "not California" for him and went back to California.

With all of Jackie's success with JUCOs, even though that is what eventually did him in, can you imagine how good he would be in the transfer portal era?

Commercecomet24
01-09-2023, 03:16 PM
With all of Jackie's success with JUCOs, even though that is what eventually did him in, can you imagine how good he would be in the transfer portal era?

He would kill it.

BrunswickDawg
01-09-2023, 03:23 PM
He would kill it.

Yeah he would. And with NIL, it would have gotten Ole Miss off our backs and we would roll. I'd run thru fire for Jackie - and I never even played for him!

Really Clark?
01-09-2023, 03:32 PM

Well Steve and family just wasn't sure Jackie would let him play QB. Maybe a year sooner would have helped but Jackie had a negative in recruiting an athlete at TAM letting him start at QB but it lasted a very short time. They were afraid he would do the same, sign him as QB and move him to defense. Which Steve would have been outstanding as a safety or Dog LB. To be fair to Jackie though, I don't think he would have as Steve profiled as a QB much higher than the player at TAM. But it happened a lot back then.

Commercecomet24
01-09-2023, 03:37 PM
Yeah he would. And with NIL, it would have gotten Ole Miss off our backs and we would roll. I'd run thru fire for Jackie - and I never even played for him!

Jackie new how to play the money game with recruits too. He would've tore it up in this environment now.

TUSK
01-09-2023, 03:41 PM
Jackie new how to play the money game with recruits too. He would've tore it up in this environment now.

He learned from the GOAT.

SPMT
01-09-2023, 04:09 PM
Auburn 3-2 game. Pathetic. Would rather eat dogshit than watch another game like that.

SPMT
01-09-2023, 04:12 PM

Yea he did. Long live the Bear!

BuckyIsAB****
01-09-2023, 08:03 PM
Auburn 3-2 game. Pathetic. Would rather eat dogshit than watch another game like that.

What people dont remember is we actually got about 3 or 4 turnovers on their side of the field and still couldnt even kick a FG. Crowd was pretty good to my memory

Goldendawg
01-09-2023, 08:33 PM

Worse showing of two "SEC" teams I have ever seen trying to play football. Kind of like State/OM trying to play college basketball last Saturday.****

Todd4State
01-09-2023, 11:44 PM
Well Steve and family just wasn't sure Jackie would let him play QB. Maybe a year sooner would have helped but Jackie had a negative in recruiting an athlete at TAM letting him start at QB but it lasted a very short time. They were afraid he would do the same, sign him as QB and move him to defense. Which Steve would have been outstanding as a safety or Dog LB. To be fair to Jackie though, I don't think he would have as Steve profiled as a QB much higher than the player at TAM. But it happened a lot back then.

Jackie would have wasted him handing off to running backs 40 times a game.

Todd4State
01-09-2023, 11:51 PM
Best atmosphere is hard for me. Which is a good thing. I've been to most of the games that they show highlights of on the Jumbotron outside of the 1940's, 1974, and 1980. So for me 1996 Alabama I think was the best. That game was like a gladiator fight where every play seemed to be huge. 1999 Egg Bowl had a similar vibe in that way too.

Worst atmosphere. I'm not sure. I'm assuming we're excluding games against teams like East Tennessee State? That's kind of a you know what you're about to walk into situation. I actually like those games because they're typically low stress and you have a lot of families there who bring younger kids and stuff like that.

Anyway- how about Troy 2001? We got upset by a bad football team and there was a tornado during the game.

BuckyIsAB****
01-10-2023, 12:09 AM
Best atmosphere is hard for me. Which is a good thing. I've been to most of the games that they show highlights of on the Jumbotron outside of the 1940's, 1974, and 1980. So for me 1996 Alabama I think was the best. That game was like a gladiator fight where every play seemed to be huge. 1999 Egg Bowl had a similar vibe in that way too.

Worst atmosphere. I'm not sure. I'm assuming we're excluding games against teams like East Tennessee State? That's kind of a you know what you're about to walk into situation. I actually like those games because they're typically low stress and you have a lot of families there who bring younger kids and stuff like that.

Anyway- how about Troy 2001? We got upset by a bad football team and there was a tornado during the game.

I was just wanting to see all the responses. The FCS games are terrible but some of
Those programs need the check. I pray and wish that they would just move those games to the spring and sell tickets for it. It would be a huge hit.

Commercecomet24
01-10-2023, 12:20 AM

Definitely!

Todd4State
01-10-2023, 02:39 AM
I was just wanting to see all the responses. The FCS games are terrible but some of
Those programs need the check. I pray and wish that they would just move those games to the spring and sell tickets for it. It would be a huge hit.

The ones against Jackson State and Alcorn have been pretty fun. I wish we would just rotate between them and Mississippi Valley if they ever get their act together.

BuckyIsAB****
01-10-2023, 09:20 AM
The ones against Jackson State and Alcorn have been pretty fun. I wish we would just rotate between them and Mississippi Valley if they ever get their act together.

Play them in April. And before anyone says what if someone gets hurt? They get hurt at practice all the time. Cant worry about that. You can also make it to where your QB doesnt get touched if you want to. High schools do it all the time every year pre season and spring. No excuse