PDA

View Full Version : A question about the new coaches hired

Op4isabitch
01-07-2023, 12:29 PM
Is it typical for a school to hire offensive coaches, WR and OL without an OC?

You?d think an OC would want to hire or at least have input into who his WR and OL coaches will be, does this maybe hint that we have someone lined up? I don?t understand hiring position coaches without an OC named, it seems backward.

Homedawg
01-07-2023, 12:32 PM

You?d think an OC would want to hire or at least have input into who his WR and OL coaches will be, does this maybe hint that we have someone lined up? I don?t understand hiring position coaches without an OC named, it seems backward.

Happens all the time.

parabrave
01-07-2023, 12:34 PM

They all work for the boss. Whenever Merls got rid of his DCs the rest of the def staff mostly stayed stayed the same.

Op4isabitch
01-07-2023, 12:34 PM
Happens all the time.

I didn’t realize that, It seems strange, I would have thought an OC would want input on who will coach the positions he’s responsible for coordinating.

Learn new things every day.

HoopsDawg
01-07-2023, 12:53 PM
Happens all the time.

You hearing anything? I'm hoping for Johns. Not a lot of slam dunks out there. Would have loved Briles or Kittley or Golesh.

yjnkdawg
01-08-2023, 06:02 PM
I didn’t realize that, It seems strange, I would have thought an OC would want input on who will coach the positions he’s responsible for coordinating.

Learn new things every day.

OC may have some input on some staff hires and sometimes they may want to bring a coach(es), but the HC makes the ultimate decision on the hiring.

Todd4State
01-08-2023, 11:56 PM

I remember when we actually hired Les Koenning and Mark Hudspeth before we hired Dan.

So we technically had an OC before we had a head coach!

This search sort of reminds me of that. Koenning was on Felker's staff and was popular among fans and Hud was also very popular as well.

Very obvious to me that we have some boosters influencing some hires to me.

yjnkdawg
01-09-2023, 12:26 AM
I remember when we actually hired Les Koenning and Mark Hudspeth before we hired Dan.

So we technically had an OC before we had a head coach!

This search sort of reminds me of that. Koenning was on Felker's staff and was popular among fans and Hud was also very popular as well.

Very obvious to me that we have some boosters influencing some hires to me.

Money talks. But I'm confident the "Big Money Boosters" at OM influence a lot more on what goes on in their Athletic Department (including coaching hires) than what our money boosters influence in our Athletic Department.

Todd4State
01-09-2023, 01:00 AM
Money talks. But I'm confident the "Big Money Boosters" at OM influence a lot more on what goes on in their Athletic Department (including coaching hires) than what our money boosters influence in our Athletic Department.

Oh absolutely. It also holds them back.

And it will also unfortunately hold us back as well. For the short term.

A big difference between the two of us is that we are willing to think outside the box and put aside things to win. Like there is no way that Ole Miss would have ever hired Leach for example.