PDA

View Full Version : Good job, Jimmy.

Leroy Jenkins
01-06-2023, 08:11 AM
https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1611187980974055425?s=20&t=LNkPXbQoG8xZy8joZ7QzhA

Dawgface
01-06-2023, 08:14 AM
If Briles had used someone else the same thing would have happened.

Coach34
01-06-2023, 08:36 AM
#Sextoned
#BlueBalled

William Tecumsah Sherman
01-06-2023, 08:43 AM
Arkansas is the one who got fleeced. Same as OM with Lane

Bdawg
01-06-2023, 08:45 AM
Hey, it?s his job. There?s 2 ways it could go. Briles tells Jimmy I?m happy at AR and Jimmy says let see what we can get and get you a raise. Or Briles wanted to look elsewhere and Jimmy finds the best deal and landing spot.

It appears it was the first because we offered more and still got turned down(supposedly). That pisses me off because they drug it out and wasted our time knowing they weren?t coming. If he had real interest and we offered a better package, he would be our OC.

Desoto1967
01-06-2023, 09:19 AM
Stay away from the Sexton guys

TrapGame
01-06-2023, 09:26 AM
Y'all don't think for a second it wasn't strongly hinted to Briles by Arkansas that he would be Pittman's replacement in the not too distant future. Pittman's got two years tops before he's fired or told to retire. Write it in blood.

Really Clark?
01-06-2023, 09:28 AM
Stay away from the Sexton guys

You can't. His pool of coaches is too large. You don't skip over a coach you like because of his agent.

chef dixon
01-06-2023, 09:50 AM
If he came here and did well he's gone after one year for a head job, then rinse and repeat on a search. Would be nice to get someone who can do well and maybe stick around for 3 or so

Bdawg
01-06-2023, 09:58 AM
You can't. His pool of coaches is too large. You don't skip over a coach you like because of his agent.

That’s right. And any other agent would do the same thing. Isn’t Sexton Arnett’s agent??

PikeDawg15
01-06-2023, 10:12 AM
I?m interested in seeing the exact numbers

Johnson85
01-06-2023, 10:15 AM
That’s right. And any other agent would do the same thing. Isn’t Sexton Arnett’s agent??

The problem wasn't with the agent. The problem is that we weren't disciplined. Once things start going public, you really have to force the issue, which is hard because rushing it will very likely cost you the candidate. But if you let it drag out you take the PR hit and give all the power to the agent to shop deals against each other. Have to force him to shop deals against each other quickly. Also when you know you are dealing with a repeat player like Sexton, it sets a good precedent for next time. Go do your thing, but knkow that once you start leaking info, you are going to have to get offers flipped in hours, not days.

viverlibre
01-06-2023, 10:56 AM
The problem wasn't with the agent. The problem is that we weren't disciplined. Once things start going public, you really have to force the issue, which is hard because rushing it will very likely cost you the candidate. But if you let it drag out you take the PR hit and give all the power to the agent to shop deals against each other. Have to force him to shop deals against each other quickly. Also when you know you are dealing with a repeat player like Sexton, it sets a good precedent for next time. Go do your thing, but knkow that once you start leaking info, you are going to have to get offers flipped in hours, not days.

Concur, Zach should have figured this was an extreme long shot and made KB a strong offer with the end of the day to decide, all the while having "gettable" back up candidates ready t go.

R2Dawg
01-06-2023, 11:17 AM
Arkansas is the one who got fleeced. Same as OM with Lane

Ha, ha, this is true. They got a smaller Olemessed. Like some NIL deals, there will be some low ROI investments. We just forced our competition to waste some.

We'll be fine, no big deal.

Bdawg
01-06-2023, 11:42 AM

Did we take a real PR hit? We went big game hunting and lost. So what. I like it! Sounds like it wasn’t a back and forth either. We met demands. They took it to AR. AR did enough to keep him. If we rush him, we lose him anyway. You play the game with the big boys and sometimes you get burned. Play it safe all the time with average candidates, and that’s what you will be….AVERAGE. So I don’t mind taking a chance. Damn the PR. I want to win!! We will get someone, just hope it turns out good now. Hell Briles may have been a flop for us. Just never know and now we never will.

chef dixon
01-06-2023, 11:51 AM
Everyone said who the hell is Arnett 3 years ago and he's been arguably the best DC in the conference if you account for talent disparity. There are plenty of guys out there that can get us going on O

Johnson85
01-06-2023, 12:55 PM
Did we take a real PR hit? We went big game hunting and lost. So what. I like it! Sounds like it wasn’t a back and forth either. We met demands. They took it to AR. AR did enough to keep him. If we rush him, we lose him anyway. You play the game with the big boys and sometimes you get burned. Play it safe all the time with average candidates, and that’s what you will be….AVERAGE. So I don’t mind taking a chance. Damn the PR. I want to win!! We will get someone, just hope it turns out good now. Hell Briles may have been a flop for us. Just never know and now we never will.

It's not a problem that he turned us down. If it popped in and out of the news cycle in a day it'd be a non-issue. Lingering makes it a little bigger issue as we're moving on to the next target. Won't matter if we are hiring a G5 coordinator. May matter if we are going after another big name P5 coordinator (I guess PR issue might not be the right term for it; it's a perception issue though). But certainly the perception issue is minor compared to just the time lost. Would have been nice to have an OC in here before this weekend. Also, need to have an OC sooner rather than later because the portal closes soon. That's sort of a one off although between two signing periods and portal periods, most hires now will probably be made under a tighter time constraint than historically was the case.

Saltydog
01-06-2023, 01:18 PM
Briles wants to be a head coach and coming here was a lateral move, at best. Just didn't make sense for him to come here with any aspirations of doing that.

msu15
01-06-2023, 01:34 PM
Mac daddy doing Mac daddy things, nothing but respect for Jimmy. Winners win.

viverlibre
01-06-2023, 02:51 PM
Briles wants to be a head coach and coming here was a lateral move, at best. Just didn't make sense for him to come here with any aspirations of doing that.

I don't understand why our fans/beat writers can't understand this. KB was never coming and simply using us to get a raise.