PDA

View Full Version : OC Hot Board Version 3-Let's Try This Again

Pages : [1] 2 3

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 08:47 PM
Well let's fire this baby up once more. I'm going to need a stiffer drink if this thing gets to Version 4.

Realistic Candidates

Shannon Dawson- OC and QB Coach at Houston. Played at Millsaps. Has coached under Mumme, Holgorsen, Monken, and Hopson.

Brandon Jones- RGC and OL Coach at Houston. Played under Leach at TTU. Has coached under Leach, Dykes, and Holgersen. Would give us another Texas recruiter. From DFW.

Ryan Lindley- QB Coach at SDSU. Was on staff last year as a defensive analyst, but has been a QB coach or offensive asst. at both the CFB and NFL level. He's good friends with Arnett and will probably end up on the staff in some fashion if I had to guess.

Mason Miller- Current OL Coach. I don't think I have to go into Mason's background very much

Kevin Johns- Duke OC and QB Coach. Was on staff under Kingsbury at TTU for a year and has kind of modified their version of the Air Raid. More RPO guy than Air Raid though

Chris Hatcher- Probably the most pure Air Raid guy there is. Played under Leach and Mumme at Valdosta St. and was a GA on their staff at UK. Has been the HC at Samford for 8 years. Only been a position coach for one year at the FBS level. All other coaching experience at the FCS level.

Clint Trickett- OC and QB Coach at Marshall. Played under Dana at WVU. Coached under Buddy Stephens at EMCC and Lane at FAU. Runs a little more RPO has Air Raid principles

Casey Woods- OC at SMU. Starkville native. Played at Tennessee. Has coached under Malzahn and Freeze so is definitely more prone to RPO and spread than Air Raid

Bryan Ellis- OC at Georgia Southern. Previously Co-OC at Western Kentucky with Zach Kittley. Was at USC with Clay Helton before that. 4th in the NCAA in passing this year.

Why The Hell Not Ask Candidates

Kliff Kingsbury- Will be unemployed come Monday so he should be available. He's not much of a HC, but he's an elite OC. Don't know his desire to get back into the college game, but before he got the Cardinals job he was going to be the USC OC.

Garrett Riley- TCU OC. His next stop will be a HC, but hell throw 2 mil + at him and just see.

Joe Brady- Probably wants to stay in the NFL, but he has revived his career in Buffalo. Maybe he could turn Will around as well.

Scott Frost- Former Nebraska and UCF HC. Definitely more spread run than Air Raid, but is a dynamite recruiter and play caller.

We Can't Hire Him But I Want To So Bad Candidate

Art Briles- We would be hell on wheels on offense. We also would piss more than a couple of people off. But hey, winning cures everything and Freeze gets to lead an SEC program again.

***Added Candidates***

Bill Bedenbaugh- OL Coach Oklahoma. Played under Leach and Mumme at Iowa Wesleyan. Coached under Leach, Mumme, Holgersen, Stoops, and Riley. Has called plays on 3 occasions.

Mark Whipple- Former HC at UMASS(do not look up his record, it's bad). Previously the OC for Pitt and was recently the OC at Nebraska.

Mike Bobo- Longtime UGA OC for Richt. Was OC for Muschamp his last year at USCe, also OC for Harsin in 21 at Auburn. Currently UGA analyst. Former HC at Colorado St(His HC record is just slightly better)

Jim Chaney- Has been everywhere twice at this point just about. Is currently an analyst for Ga Tech. Spent last year as an analyst for the Saints. Was the OC for Pruitt at Tennessee and also for Dooley at Tennessee. Was Kirby's first OC at UGA.

Josh Henson- OC at USC. OC for Gary Pinkel at Missouri. Coached OL for both Mike Gundy and Jimbo is currently the OL/OC coach under Riley. Looks to be a really strong recruiter in the South. Particularly in TX, AL, LA, and MS.

Major Applewhite- OC at USA. Former QB for Texas. Has been under Saban twice as an analyst. Also under Brown at Texas and Herman at Houston. Got the HC gig at Houston but that went off the rails and then Fertitta conspired with Holgorsen to get Applewhite out of there so Dana could get that job.

Joey Hazle- OC at Tennessee. Just promoted to this position. Has been under Stoops at Oklahoma and has been with Heupel since 2016. Will be hard to pull him since he just got the OC job.

Willy Korn- Current OC at Liberty. Former OC at Coastal Carolina. Has been with Jamey Chadwell the entire time. Will want to run spread triple option, which we currently don't have the QB or line for. But there's a chance he could convince Grayson Mccall to come on board, if grades wouldn't be an issue. Although our graduate program is apparently tougher to get into than Wharton Business School (see every basketball player we recruited this summer)

Brian Johnson- QB Coach for the Philadelphia Eagles. Previous staff member under Dan. Played and coached at Utah. Was the play caller for the last 4 games of the 2016 season for us. Called plays for Herman at Houston and called the plays at Florida.

Warren Ruggerio- OC Wake Forest. Has been a play caller and OC at Hofstra, Elon, BGSU, and for the last 8 years at Wake Forest. Runs a slow mesh RPO type offense so it would be different than what we run. Very run oriented and very QB run oriented.

EdwardDrayton
01-05-2023, 08:59 PM
Think I'll need to drink straight from the bottle. Sheesh.

yjnkdawg
01-05-2023, 09:00 PM
What about adding Dowell Loggains, OC for South Carolina. They were scared that he might be hired back by ARK as OC if we hired KB.

State82
01-05-2023, 09:01 PM
Is Clint Trickett Rick's son?

Tough Dawg
01-05-2023, 09:01 PM
Scott Frost 😂😂😂 oh boy. Much effort into this list. I can say that anyway.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:02 PM
What about adding Dowell Loggains, OC for South Carolina. They were scared that he might be hired back by ARK as OC if we hired KB.

He's pro style with some spread concepts mixed in. He's also regarded as a terrible play caller in most coaching circles.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:02 PM
Is Clint Trickett Rick's son?

He is.

Coach34
01-05-2023, 09:03 PM
Riley has already turned down an interview and no chance on Kingsbury.

Hatcher has been a HC for over 20 years. He's not leaving to become as Asst.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:04 PM
Scott Frost ������ oh boy. Much effort into this list. I can say that anyway.

What's your problem with Frost? We aren't hiring him as a HC. I mean he was the OC for Chip Kelly. And most in the business do agree that Oregon offense from 2013-2015 was decent.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:05 PM

Well good I put those in the why the hell not ask category. And I hope you're right on Hatcher, but I have a bad feeling we're going to go the cheap route and hire him.

Cooterpoot
01-05-2023, 09:06 PM
We're going to be holding our nose regardless at this point. Betting money would be on Johns probably. Dawson (yuck) maybe. Not sure many will come coach under a young, first time HC.

Tough Dawg
01-05-2023, 09:07 PM
I think after some of his shenanigans at Nebraska he needs a couple of years off. I bet he never coaches again honestly.

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 09:07 PM
Scott Frost 😂😂😂 oh boy. Much effort into this list. I can say that anyway.

He wouldn't be coming as a HC. Why do people get crazy over an assistant coach that failed as a HC. He failed at 1 HC stopped and succeeded wildly at another I might add.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:08 PM
We're going to be holding our nose regardless at this point. Betting money would be on Johns probably.

If I had place odds on it at the moment they'd probably be:

Johns 7-1
Hatcher 7-1
Dawson 15-1
Miller 20-1
Everyone else 75-1
Out of LF Candidate- 80-1

yjnkdawg
01-05-2023, 09:08 PM

I thought Hatcher had been interested in our job, but I wasn't sure if CZA was interested in him, or even had him on his list?

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:10 PM
I thought Hatcher had been interested in our job, but I wasn't sure if CZA was interested in him, or even had him on his list?

Rosebowl reported today that CZA had not even spoken to him about the job. He'd take it if it was offered, which is why we don't need to offer to him or even speak with him yet.

Coach34
01-05-2023, 09:11 PM

Maybe so but it would be very surprising to see a guy thats been a HC for over a generation want to be an Asst again.

Coach34
01-05-2023, 09:13 PM
Rosebowl reported today that CZA had not even spoken to him about the job. He'd take it if it was offered, which is why we don't need to offer to him or even speak with him yet.

Why do people think he would take it? He has been a HC for 22 years now.

Dawgface
01-05-2023, 09:13 PM
Miller? I thought the knock on Spurrier is he's never been an OC. Has Miller?

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 09:14 PM
Why do people think he would take it? He has been a HC for 22 years now.

Because we would pay more and he would just jump on it, that's what they are thinking.

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 09:16 PM
I think after some of his shenanigans at Nebraska he needs a couple of years off. I bet he never coaches again honestly.

He may need time off and you have to vet him maybe stronger than other candidates to see what's true and what's sour grapes.

civildawg
01-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Not knocking your work on the list but man those names are not good. I?m not familiar with who are the up and coming OC?s but man I figured we could get better than most of what?s listed

Tough Dawg
01-05-2023, 09:20 PM
You may not be familiar with all the shenanigans. Go look em up.

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 09:20 PM
I'm 99.9999% sure he wouldn't do it because he turned down Miami last year but you could make another $2MIL swing at Jason Candle

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:23 PM
I'm 99.9999% sure he wouldn't do it because he turned down Miami last year but you could make another $2MIL swing at Jason Candle

He just signed on to be on Deion's staff at Colorado.

Bothrops
01-05-2023, 09:24 PM
We're ****ed. Gonna have to hire down to get the position filled I'm afraid.

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 09:26 PM
He just signed on to be on Deion's staff at Colorado.

That's was Kent State's HC. Candle is at Toledo

Dawgface
01-05-2023, 09:29 PM
We're ****ed. Gonna have to hire down to get the position filled I'm afraid.

Yep. But that doesn't mean we will get a bad coach just won't be a splash hire.

Bothrops
01-05-2023, 09:34 PM
Yep. But that doesn't mean we will get a bad coach just won't be a splash hire.

I would just hire an Air Raid guy who would come, and be done with it. We don’t need to tinker with the offense at this point.

We also need to get Locke back on board.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:34 PM
Not knocking your work on the list but man those names are not good. I?m not familiar with who are the up and coming OC?s but man I figured we could get better than most of what?s listed

So you're not familiar with any OC's, but the one's listed are bad. Got it. That makes a ton of sense. There's not many up and coming OC's left this cycle. Briles and Riley are at the top of that list though and we will not get either. I mean Brian Hartline would be a grand slam hire from Ohio St. But he coaches receivers and we just hired God's gift to coaching Chad Bumphis to coach that position so we can't hire him. We ran off the best in house candidate, Hollingshead, to bring in Bumphis. This late in the game finding an OC isn't going to be easy. This is best available that is realistic. Graham Harrell would've been good but he's at Pudue now. I mean I could add DJ Mangas, who was an analyst under Brady at both LSU and with Carolina and was LSU's passing game coordinator last year. But the shine has kind of worn off there. I mean GJ Kinne would've been a great hire, unfortunately he took the Texas St HC job. Eric Morris would've been a great hire, but he took the UNT job.

starkvegasdawg
01-05-2023, 09:36 PM
He probably would but wave 2.5mil under Zach Kittley's nose and ask if he likes the fragrance.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:37 PM
He probably would but wave 2.5mil under Zach Kittley's nose and ask if he likes the fragrance.

Kittley has already turned down an interview. Also we don't need to be giving an OC 2.5 mil. 2 mil is the max we need to be offering. Kittley would be a guy I would've offered that amt to by the way. Along with Briles and Riley

civildawg
01-05-2023, 09:38 PM
Well half the guys you listed aren?t even OCs. Got it now?

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:39 PM
I would just hire an Air Raid guy who would come, and be done with it. We don’t need to tinker with the offense at this point.

There's only one coach who will get Locke back on board and we dumped him for Bumphis.

Bothrops
01-05-2023, 09:40 PM

We can't outbid T Tech.

Bothrops
01-05-2023, 09:42 PM
There's only one coach who will get Locke back on board and we dumped him for Bumphis.

Why?

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:44 PM
Why?

Drew was his lead recruiter and Drew played at Rockwall Heath and his Dad was the first HC there. Drew was the reason Locke was interested in us.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:44 PM
Well half the guys you listed aren?t even OCs. Got it now?

Of the 8 realistic candidates I listed, 5 of them(including Hatcher because he calls his own plays) are OC's. That's why they have OC by their name. Now last time I checked 4 out of 8 is half so I think that makes 5 out of 8 more than half, but hey my degree wasn't in mathematics. Maybe yours was

Bothrops
01-05-2023, 09:47 PM
Drew was his lead recruiter and Drew played at Rockwall Heath and his Dad was the first HC there. Drew was the reason Locke was interested in us.

Well that ****ing sucks

Dawgface
01-05-2023, 09:47 PM

I would love to see CZA list of candidates. And how many on it has ties to the AR. If any.....

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:48 PM
Also if anyone wants a name added just throw it in the thread and I'll stick it on there and try to get their credentials as well

Cooterpoot
01-05-2023, 09:48 PM

Kittley has already said no to everyone. He's going to be a HC next year. Littrell has said not interested. And we aren't paying $2.5MM.

Maverick91
01-05-2023, 09:49 PM
Why do you folks not think kliff would at least interview? I think this would be a nice place to park for a few years while he built his credibility back up. He is going to go somewhere why not State?

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:50 PM
Well that ****ing sucks

Yep. Drew is going to be a big loss for us. He was probably the best recruiter on staff and he had connections all throughout Texas HSFB. He was also a hell of a receivers coach and was just named to the AFCA 35 Under 35. Bumphis wasn't if you were wondering. He also has no recruiting connections in Texas if you were wondering.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:51 PM
Why do you folks not think kliff would at least interview? I think this would be a nice place to park for a few years while he built his credibility back up. He is going to go somewhere why not State?

Kliff has stated on a few occasions since he got to the NFL how much he openly loathed recruiting. Kliff would be a great position coach, but you would have to have ace recruiters on staff to do the heavy lifting on that front and we don't have any at the moment.

Cooterpoot
01-05-2023, 09:51 PM

Kittley has already said no to everyone. He's going to be a HC next year. Littrell has said not interested. Brikes said no. And we aren't paying $2.5MM. I'm fully prepared for some off the wall OOLF hire now.

mo7888
01-05-2023, 09:52 PM
Kittley has already turned down an interview. Also we don't need to be giving an OC 2.5 mil. 2 mil is the max we need to be offering. Kittley would be a guy I would've offered that amt to by the way. Along with Briles and Riley

When he turned down the interview I doubt that $2M figure had come out yet. Money has a way of making a person reconsider..

Maverick91
01-05-2023, 09:52 PM

Yall remember when we all flipped out over ******* 2.5 4 year deal in 2010? We are waiving 2 mill for an assistant likes it?s candy now.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:53 PM
Kittley has already said no to everyone. He's going to be a HC next year. Littrell has said not interested. Brikes said no. And we aren't paying $2.5MM. I'm fully prepared for some off the wall OOLF hire now.

I fully expect it'll be Hatcher, Johns, or some OOLF hire. Briles probably ended our big game hunting approach.

Dawgface
Yep. Drew is going to be a big loss for us. He was probably the best recruiter on staff and he had connections all throughout Texas HSFB. He was also a hell of a receivers coach and was just named to the AFCA 35 Under 35. Bumphis wasn't if you were wondering. He also has no recruiting connections in Texas if you were wondering.

So basically Arnett caved to the wishes of certain alums to hire Bumphis?

BankerDog
Well that ****ing sucks

Drew was also heavily involved with Sawyer and lead the QB rooms at WSU when Minshew was there and led the QB room here his first two years here. He was the one running the film, drills, etc. was placed on the top 35 under 35 coaching list and is very highly thought of in the coaching ranks. We screwed up on that one.

I mean-people really think we weren?t trying to ?lock down Mississippi? recruiting wise before? It is laughable what some of you believe.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:54 PM

Caved to our new COS if I had to guess. But that's just opinion. Not based in any fact on that.

Bothrops
01-05-2023, 09:55 PM

I'm glad Bumphis is here, but perhaps he's better off if the offense changes, but if the offense changes we have to have a new qb, which would mean getting a sought after portal player.

Coach34
01-05-2023, 09:56 PM
Kliff has stated on a few occasions since he got to the NFL how much he openly loathed recruiting. Kliff would be a great position coach, but you would have to have ace recruiters on staff to do the heavy lifting on that front and we don't have any at the moment.

Not to mention Arizona is going to have to pay him millions to not come to work. He will probably sit back and look for a head job

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 09:57 PM

Basically there is a certain group of people who want people to be here so they can have ?inside information?. It?s why people are excited to have Peterson back and why Faulk and Hadad were really excited their old podcast buddy is back on staff and why Steve was pushing it so hard the last two years.

Little funny that our ?full control of offense promises? we apparently told Briles led to us hiring Bumphis before we even closed the deal with the OC.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 09:58 PM
I'm glad Bumphis is here, but perhaps he's better off if the offense changes, but if the offense changes we have to have a new qb, which would mean getting a sought after portal player.

And right now, that doesn't exist. There's no QB in the portal right now that could come and beat out Will Rogers. Maybe one hops in after spring ball, but to put all your eggs in that basket is risking a whole hell of a lot for something that has about a 10-15% chance of materializing.

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 09:59 PM
When he turned down the interview I doubt that $2M figure had come out yet. Money has a way of making a person reconsider..

Kittley was born and raised in Lubbock. His dad coach at Tech. He went to Tech. He doesn?t want to leave there. He is literally at his dream job until a HC gig opens up.

yjnkdawg
01-05-2023, 10:00 PM

Yeah I was hoping we kept him. He was an up coming coach with a lot of potential.

BuckyIsAB****
01-05-2023, 10:01 PM
Drew was also heavily involved with Sawyer and lead the QB rooms at WSU when Minshew was there and led the QB room here his first two years here. He was the one running the film, drills, etc. was placed on the top 35 under 35 coaching list and is very highly thought of in the coaching ranks. We screwed up on that one.

I mean-people really think we weren?t trying to ?lock down Mississippi? recruiting wise before? It is laughable what some of you believe.

Agree. Kids loved him too. But this board wanted the hot name. Hollingshead can recruit and coach QBs and WRs

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 10:01 PM
I?m going Mason Miller at this point or make another run at the CO-OC at Oklahoma.

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 10:05 PM
Agree. Kids loved him too. But this board wanted the hot name. Hollingshead can recruit and coach QBs and WRs

As much as you and I disagree, I?m glad you can verify this information. Drew wasn?t just recruiting offensive players, btw, he was also very involved in us getting Brice Pollock and some other defensive players.

We could have dropped SS,Jr. moved Drew to QB coach, Bump at WR, and Mason as the OC. But, as usual, a small group of people believe you have to run the ball 30 times a game like it?s 2010 to win games now and days.

In all, I guess the people who pushed this last year when they tried to hire him for Leach will be happy now. Next they?ll be telling us how Jake Weir is a better QB than Rogers.

BlackSailsDawg
01-05-2023, 10:05 PM
Well let's fire this baby up once more. I'm going to need a stiffer drink if this thing gets to Version 4.

Realistic Candidates

Shannon Dawson- OC and QB Coach at Houston. Played at Millsaps. Has coached under Mumme, Holgorsen, Monken, and Hopson.

Brandon Jones- RGC and OL Coach at Houston. Played under Leach at TTU. Has coached under Leach, Dykes, and Holgersen. Would give us another Texas recruiter. From DFW.

Ryan Lindley- QB Coach at SDSU. Was on staff last year as a defensive analyst, but has been a QB coach or offensive asst. at both the CFB and NFL level. He's good friends with Arnett and will probably end up on the staff in some fashion if I had to guess.

Mason Miller- Current OL Coach. I don't think I have to go into Mason's background very much

Kevin Johns- Duke OC and QB Coach. Was on staff under Kingsbury at TTU for a year and has kind of modified their version of the Air Raid. More RPO guy than Air Raid though

Chris Hatcher- Probably the most pure Air Raid guy there is. Played under Leach and Mumme at Valdosta St. and was a GA on their staff at UK. Has been the HC at Samford for 8 years. Only been a position coach for one year at the FBS level. All other coaching experience at the FCS level.

Clint Trickett- OC and QB Coach at Marshall. Played under Dana at WVU. Coached under Buddy Stephens at EMCC and Lane at FAU. Runs a little more RPO has Air Raid principles

Casey Woods- OC at SMU. Starkville native. Played at Tennessee. Has coached under Malzahn and Freeze so is definitely more prone to RPO and spread than Air Raid

Why The Hell Not Ask Candidates

Kliff Kingsbury- Will be unemployed come Monday so he should be available. He's not much of a HC, but he's an elite OC. Don't know his desire to get back into the college game, but before he got the Cardinals job he was going to be the USC OC.

Garrett Riley- TCU OC. His next stop will be a HC, but hell throw 2 mil + at him and just see.

Joe Brady- Probably wants to stay in the NFL, but he has revived his career in Buffalo. Maybe he could turn Will around as well.

Scott Frost- Former Nebraska and UCF HC. Definitely more spread run than Air Raid, but is a dynamite recruiter and play caller.

We Can't Hire Him But I Want To So Bad Candidate

Art Briles- We would be hell on wheels on offense. We also would piss more than a couple of people off. But hey, winning cures everything and Freeze gets to lead an SEC program again.

That's a better list than what is being reported.

yjnkdawg
01-05-2023, 10:06 PM
Like I said on another thread if we pay somebody $2.5 million for OC we will be paying the highest assistant coach salary in college football. I agree $2 million should be the max on anybody and this would put us in the top 3 concerning salaries.

SteelCurtain74
01-05-2023, 10:08 PM
I'll throw a name out, Casey Woods OC at SMU. SMU finished 12th in the nation in offense. This is his 1st year as OC. He came from Missouri where he coached TE and was recruiting coordinator. He served in the same role at UAB. He appears to be a hell of a recruiter. Was wr coach at Arkansas St. He was also at Auburn. For everyone wanting to bring back the TE, this might be your guy.

StarkVegasSteve
That's a better list than what is being reported.

Unfortunately I know.

StarkVegasSteve
I'll throw a name out, Casey Woods OC at SMU. SMU finished 12th in the nation in offense. This is his 1st year as OC. He came from Missouri where he coached TE and was recruiting coordinator. He served in the same role at UAB. He appears to be a hell of a recruiter. Was wr coach at Arkansas St. He was also at Auburn. For everyone wanting to bring back the TE, this might be your guy.

He's already on the list. Starkville native. A little too RPO based for our offense, but if you could get a transfer QB it could work.

yjnkdawg
01-05-2023, 10:09 PM
As much as you and I disagree, I?m glad you can verify this information. Drew wasn?t just recruiting offensive players, btw, he was also very involved in us getting Brice Pollock and some other defensive players.

We could have dropped SS,Jr. moved Drew to QB coach, Bump at WR, and Mason as the OC. But, as usual, a small group of people believe you have to run the ball 30 times a game like it?s 2010 to win games now and days.

I think Hollingshead will end up being an OC sometimes in the future if he sets his mind to doing so. We were planning on KB being the QB coach .

Leroy Jenkins
01-05-2023, 10:11 PM

This may be a dumb question but, why not just have him be the QB coach? I look at it as Chad took Spurrier's job not Drew's. Hell give him a co-OC title.

BlackSailsDawg
This is what is being said is a partial list:

1- Mark Whipple.
2- Mike Bobo
3- Jim Chaney
4- Chris Hatcher
5- Shannon Dawson

Hoping Arnett is not in over his head. Want him to be the man, but Bo figgin Bo?? Really? Whipple?

Really Clark?

He doesn't call the plays. Lashlee does

Bothrops
01-05-2023, 10:12 PM
This may be a dumb question but, why not just have him be the QB coach? I look at it as Chad took Spurrier's job not Drew's

Thought of this as well.

Coach34
01-05-2023, 10:13 PM
Woods is the son of Sparkey Woods. I thought I remembered the name. Sparkey is a great dude. Working for Brown at NC

Bothrops
01-05-2023, 10:13 PM

1- Mark Whipple.
2- Mike Bobo
3- Jim Chaney
4- Chris Hatcher
5- Shannon Dawson

Hoping Arnett is not in over his head. Want him to be the man, but Bo figgin Bo?? Really? Whipple?

Didn't Georgia fans once say "Bobo has to go go?"

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 10:15 PM

1- Mark Whipple.
2- Mike Bobo
3- Jim Chaney
4- Chris Hatcher
5- Shannon Dawson

Was just about to post that I'll add them to the list, but holy S*** those first 3 names are beyond dumpster fire. Hell at this rate we may just need to hire Hatcher and move on. He's better than Whipple, Chaney, or Bobo.

CadaverDawg
01-05-2023, 10:15 PM
It's wild how we went from being able to "big game hunt" to having to settle for scraps because "nobody wants to work for a 1st year HC" in a day or two.

Our fan base is the kings of getting fired up about one guy and creating a narrative around him, only to find out in the end that we're still poor and undesirable. It's fascinating really.

So basically it was Briles or Dog Shit? King Kong or ding dong? How is that possible? And if the next guy behind Briles on our list was scraps, how were our leaders so gullible as to think we actually had a shot at Kendal? When you're talking to a 10, and the next one on your wish list is a 3....the 10 is playing you, 100% of the time.

We have to be the dumbest, most gullible program in the country.

Coursesuper
01-05-2023, 10:16 PM

1- Mark Whipple.
2- Mike Bobo
3- Jim Chaney
4- Chris Hatcher
5- Shannon Dawson

That list is less than inspiring.

Bark
01-05-2023, 10:17 PM
We can't get Kittley but what about the guys that replaced him?

I know he just took the WSU OC job but would Arbuckle listen to us?

What about Bryan Ellis at Georgia Southern? Was co-offensive coordinator at Western Kentucky with Kittley. In year 1 he has Georgia Southern in the top 20 offenses in the nation. 1 spot ahead of Kittley and Texas Tech. The number 4 passing team in the nation.

SteelCurtain74
He's already on the list. Starkville native. A little too RPO based for our offense, but if you could get a transfer QB it could work.

I see that now. My bad. Missed it the first time I read the list.

PikeDawg15
Idk why so many people on here are against paying top dollar for a proven OC

Ole miss is paying 9 million for a head coach
LSU 9.5
A&M 9
Alabama 12 or so
Auburn 6.5

Etc etc

We have a first time head coach that we promoted that we are giving him a chance that he would not have had anywhere else to be a sec head coach

We are paying him 3 million

If we are going to compete we are going to have to get him some help by bringing in a proven OC that can handle the offense , you will have to pay 2 million or above to get that and that would be fine because Zach will earn his money as a head coach if he does good he will be given annual raises

Even then that does not come anywhere near 9 million

I?m tired of the poor ole Mississippi state mindset

I like Zach and think he?s going to do great but shit.

Also anyone that thinks promoting Mason miller to OC is mentally retarded.

If Mike leach , who has called plays for 30+ years and had been a head coach for over 20 , couldn?t get this offense to scoring points on good sec defenses.

What the hell do you think his Offensive Line coach would do?

Give me a break.

yjnkdawg
01-05-2023, 10:18 PM
Was just about to post that I'll add them to the list, but holy S*** those first 3 names are beyond dumpster fire. Hell at this rate we may just need to hire Hatcher and move on. He's better than Whipple, Chaney, or Bobo.

:rolleyes: Get Hatcher now then.

CadaverDawg
01-05-2023, 10:18 PM

1- Mark Whipple.
2- Mike Bobo
3- Jim Chaney
4- Chris Hatcher
5- Shannon Dawson

If we hire Mike Bobo I'm going to break shit

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 10:19 PM

1- Mark Whipple.
2- Mike Bobo
3- Jim Chaney
4- Chris Hatcher
5- Shannon Dawson

Yeah that's not a good list. Hatcher is probably the best one of the bunch. Whipple had 1 outstanding year at Pitt but the QB wasn't bad either. Haha

BlackSailsDawg
01-05-2023, 10:19 PM
Didn't Georgia fans once say "Bobo has to go go?"

YES! This is crazzy talk! Noway. Mark Whipple? Mark John Whipple is an American football coach, who most recently served as offensive coordinator at Nebraska in 2022.

Chaney?

Dawgface
01-05-2023, 10:20 PM

1- Mark Whipple.
2- Mike Bobo
3- Jim Chaney
4- Chris Hatcher
5- Shannon Dawson

The first three shouldn't be on anyone's list. Oh well.......

BlackSailsDawg
01-05-2023, 10:22 PM
We can't get Kittley but what about the guys that replaced him?

I know he just took the WSU OC job but would Arbuckle listen to us?

What about Bryan Ellis at Georgia Southern? Was co-offensive coordinator at Western Kentucky with Kittley. In year 1 he has Georgia Southern in the top 20 offenses in the nation. 1 spot ahead of Kittley and Texas Tech. The number 4 passing team in the nation.

I can not be convinced that we can not hire arbuckle, Dawson, Hatcher, or many others when we are offering Briles that much and massive control!

Either our HC is in over his head, or nuts. Want to talk about empty seats in the stands. Hire Bobo. Chaney. WHIPPLE!!!

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 10:22 PM
It made me physically ill having to look up credentials on Bobo, Whipple, and Chaney. If that's the direction that we are going then we are moving as far away from the Air Raid as humanly possible. We'll be back to 3 yds and punt with Chaney and Bobo. Hatcher and Dawson at least give me a little hope.

If anyone had any amazing offenses in their NCAA dynasties I'll be more than happy to add you to the list as well. Your resume will look a lot better than those 3.

yjnkdawg
01-05-2023, 10:23 PM

LSU 9.5
A&M 9
Alabama 12 or so
Auburn 6.5

Etc etc

We have a first time head coach that we promoted that we are giving him a chance that he would not have had anywhere else to be a sec head coach

If we are going to compete we are going to have to get him some help by bringing in a proven OC that can handle the offense , you will have to pay 2 million or above to get that and that would be fine because Zach will earn his money as a head coach if he does good he will be given annual raises

If Mike leach , who has called plays for 30+ years and had been a head coach for over 20 , couldn?t get this offense to scoring points on good sec defenses.

Give me a break.

$2 million should be the max and for the right OC but $2.5 million is unreal. Doesn't matter if you have the money or not. Is any OC better than Monken? Because he doesn't make $2.5 million . Close but not there.

CadaverDawg
01-05-2023, 10:23 PM
If I was AD and Arnett walked in and said "I want to hire Bobo, Whipple, or Chaney", my response would be...."then I want to fire you".

Oh yeah, we don't have an AD.

This is turning into a shit sandwich quick

Cooterpoot
01-05-2023, 10:25 PM
I'm ready to fire Arnett if that list is legit.

Bothrops
:rolleyes: Get Hatcher now then.

Yeah he's the best name on that list and has an impressive record.

yjnkdawg
It made me physically ill having to look up credentials on Bobo, Whipple, and Chaney. If that's the direction that we are going then we are moving as far away from the Air Raid as humanly possible. We'll be back to 3 yds and punt with Chaney and Bobo. Hatcher and Dawson at least give me a little hope.

I was just go with Hatcher and call it a day. Dern!!! What a list. Hatcher is way above anybody on that list. I wonder why Johns isn't on it?

CadaverDawg
01-05-2023, 10:27 PM
I was just go with Hatcher and call it a day. Dern!!! What a list. I wonder why Johns isn't on it?

Yeah Johns to me is better than that list

StarkVegasSteve
I'm ready to fire Arnett if that list is legit.

Steve did say that it's not an all inclusive list. People were asking him for names so he checked around and got some. And let me be perfectly honest, I'm going to bet a decent amount of money that Jimmy The Snake represents every one of those guys. I'd also bet you an equal amount that is who was feeding Rosebowl his info for Briles.

Dawgface
Of that list I would go with Dawson. I doubt Arnett calls for my advice tho.

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 10:28 PM

LSU 9.5
A&M 9
Alabama 12 or so
Auburn 6.5

Etc etc

Give me a break.

And you are biggest dumbass on this message board, which is saying something. Have your not actually check the stats on Miller?s offenses he led?

And let?s address your comment of on what other teams are paying their coaches:

Bama and A&M- HA. We don?t have a bank roll like either of them. We have some wealthy individuals but they have groups of twenty of them. Also look at their enrollment compared to ours. Means more future wealthy alumni.

Auburn-Well Tim Cook, Bobby Lowder, and Jimmy are loaded. They are now all in on what it takes.

OM-Overpaying $9MM for a good play caller that wants out. I?m glad they?ve committed that much because it?s taking up funds from other sports and their NIL.

Glad we figured out we could divert to get good assistants and use other funds to go get good players. As CZA says, players make the scheme. This just further proves my point-you are the biggest DA on this board, which in fact, is saying something.

Coach34
01-05-2023, 10:31 PM
I may be wrong- I just dont see any way Hatcher becomes an Asst after 22 years of being a HC

BlackSailsDawg
01-05-2023, 10:31 PM

If anyone had any amazing offenses in their NCAA dynasties I'll be more than happy to add you to the list as well. Your resume will look a lot better than those 3.

I'm at a loss for words! WTH!

BlackSailsDawg
01-05-2023, 10:32 PM
Steve did say that it's not an all inclusive list. People were asking him for names so he checked around and got some. And let me be perfectly honest, I'm going to bet a decent amount of money that Jimmy The Snake represents every one of those guys. I'd also bet you an equal amount that is who was feeding Rosebowl his info for Briles.

And I 100% believe our young HC got played by his own agent!

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 10:33 PM

LSU 9.5
A&M 9
Alabama 12 or so
Auburn 6.5

Etc etc

Give me a break.

Then who do you suggest that is realistic? We're all throwing names out here and no name is stupid. Hell I put Art Briles in a category by himself.

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 10:34 PM
If I was AD and Arnett walked in and said "I want to hire Bobo, Whipple, or Chaney", my response would be...."then I want to fire you".

Oh yeah, we don't have an AD.

This is turning into a shit sandwich quick

You don?t think the same people who were ?advising? on Bumphis aren?t advising on this?

Dawson makes the most sense. He was at USM with Jay..

BlackSailsDawg
01-05-2023, 10:35 PM
Of that list I would go with Dawson. I doubt Arnett calls for my advice tho.

I don't understand the about face. Going to swing for the fence with Briles (totally set up by sexton) but cant reach out to Arbuckle because he just was hired at WSU? What? TAMU hired Petrino from UNLV 1 month after he was hired there.

Don't tell me we can not do better than Bobo, Whimple...etc.

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 10:37 PM
Then who do you suggest that is realistic? We're all throwing names out here and no name is stupid. Hell I put Art Briles in a category by himself.

Ah Steve, he still believes Alex Adams is the next coming of Jerry Rice and if Joe were our OC, Alex would transfer in and just show us how good those Pike County boys are!

Msujd164
First 3 are probably Sexton guys and he?s trying to get them paid. I went from excited as hell at 5:00 today to now IDGAF. But if we hire any of the first 3, we are fu$&ed.

PikeDawg15
And you are biggest dumbass on this message board, which is saying something. Have your not actually check the stats on Miller?s offenses he led?

And let?s address your comment of on what other teams are paying their coaches:

Bama and A&M- HA. We don?t have a bank roll like either of them. We have some wealthy individuals but they have groups of twenty of them. Also look at their enrollment compared to ours. Means more future wealthy alumni.

Auburn-Well Tim Cook, Bobby Lowder, and Jimmy are loaded. They are now all in on what it takes.

OM-Overpaying $9MM for a good play caller that wants out. I?m glad they?ve committed that much because it?s taking up funds from other sports and their NIL.

Glad we figured out we could divert to get good assistants and use other funds to go get good players. As CZA says, players make the scheme. This just further proves my point-you are the biggest DA on this board, which in fact, is saying something.

If you think Mason miller will be better than Mike leach was, you sir are the biggest dumbass on this board.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 10:38 PM
You don?t think the same people who were ?advising? on Bumphis aren?t advising on this?

Dawson makes the most sense. He was at USM with Jay..

Was at USM with Jay, NMSU with Mumme, and WVU and Houston with Dana. Also played at Millsaps.

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 10:38 PM
If you think Mason miller will be better than Mike leach was, you sir are the biggest dumbass on this board.

Please tell me where I said he would be better. I will wait.

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 10:39 PM

1- Mark Whipple.
2- Mike Bobo
3- Jim Chaney
4- Chris Hatcher
5- Shannon Dawson

I knew people were going to melt, but shi* this list will do it! KB made our nuts shrivel up to raisins!!!

CadaverDawg
If we're throwing shit against the wall, what's the story on Josh Henson at USC? Making $750k and has spent a year as OC under Riley and was at A&M and Oklahoma State prior.

I admittedly know absolutely nothing about the guy, but if we want a high flying modified Air Raid offense, USC has it.

I know Riley is the real OC, but obviously he is decent or those programs don't hire him, right? $750k seems like a bargain

PikeDawg15
Please tell me where I said he would be better. I will wait.

So you are saying that he?s worse than leach?

So you are saying we should expect a even worse offense next season?

PikeDawg15
01-05-2023, 10:41 PM
Aren?t we trying to improve the offense which has been the biggest problem with the team since Dan Mullen left ?

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 10:41 PM
Was at USM with Jay, NMSU with Mumme, and WVU and Houston with Dana. Also played at Millsaps.

Yeah but fired at Kentucky and USM offenses were not exactly lighting CUSA on fire.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 10:42 PM

Where did anyone say Mason Miller would be better than Mike Leach, THE INVENTOR OF THE 17 OFFENSE. I don't think Bank said that. Now again, if you think Mason is such a bad hire, who would you hire? I'll add him to the board. There's no bad names worse than Whipple, Bobo, or Chaney. So don't be afraid to throw some out.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 10:43 PM
Yeah but fired at Kentucky and USM offenses were not exactly lighting CUSA on fire.

And Hatcher was fired at Murray St. and Kevin Johns was fired at Indiana and Texas Tech. Perfect candidates don't exist at this point in the process.

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 10:43 PM
Andrew Sowder is still available. Better than Bobo and Chaney

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 10:44 PM
I knew people were going to melt, but shi* this list will do it! KB made our nuts shrivel up to raisins!!!

I honestly can't see a young energetic guy like Arnett wanting to hire some of the old relics on that list. I'd be shocked if he hired whipple, chaney or bobo, but heck with what happened today who knows. Zach's honeymoon will be over quick if he hires one of those 3, and admittedly that was just a pretty much thrown together list by Steve.

CadaverDawg
01-05-2023, 10:44 PM
I'd rather let fans send in plays live during the game than hire Mike Bobo. Just pass around the Madden controller through the stands

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 10:45 PM
I'd rather let fans send in plays live during the game than hire Mike Bobo. Just pass around the Madden controller through the stands

I can't give you anymore rep!

ZedFedder
01-05-2023, 10:45 PM
I love how we went from "CZA aint playing" to "I want to fire Arnett"

I am willing to bet he makes a solid hire. It may not be the flashiest, but I trust that he will make a good hire. If it ends up being Chaney or Bobo, then sure. You guys will be right. I just don't think that happens at all.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 10:46 PM
Aren?t we trying to improve the offense which has been the biggest problem with the team since Dan Mullen left ?

Ok.....so who would you hire? You've yet to answer the question.

Dawgface
01-05-2023, 10:47 PM

Just throwing a name out there. Major Applewhite. At So Alabama now as OC. Lots of experience.

Todd4State
01-05-2023, 10:47 PM
Maybe so but it would be very surprising to see a guy thats been a HC for over a generation want to be an Asst again.

To me SEC OC > being a head coach at a FCS. Or no worse than equal.

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 10:48 PM
I love how we went from "CZA aint playing" to "I want to fire Arnett"

I am willing to bet he makes a solid hire. It may not be the flashiest, but I trust that he will make a good hire. If it ends up being Chaney or Bobo, then sure. You guys will be right. I just don't think that happens at all.

I agree. As detailed as Zach is I believe he'll make a good hire(even if not flashy). Everyone's rushing to the ledge because of what happened with Briles but I think after the smoke clears it'll be alright

CadaverDawg
Who are the best FCS offenses? Kansas State hit a freaking home run with Kleiman, maybe we could do the same with a top notch OC from those ranks.

Tough Dawg
I?d make a run at Will Hall before any of those guys. USM is a sinking ship athletically and conference wise. Pay raise for him.

Catfish
01-05-2023, 10:49 PM
How about Joey Halzle the Tennessee OC.

Really Clark?
And Hatcher was fired at Murray St. and Kevin Johns was fired at Indiana and Texas Tech. Perfect candidates don't exist at this point in the process.

I agree but Hatcher was being fired as HC. I mentioned before John's was let go at Indiana and that could raise some eyebrows. He wasn't fired from Texas Tech (his offense was 16th nationally that year) he was let go when they changed HC

KOdawg1
Kevin Johns.

He's the only name left that would really excite me.

CadaverDawg
I agree. As detailed as Zach is I believe he'll make a good hire(even if not flashy). Everyone's rushing to the ledge because of what happened with Briles but I think after the smoke clears it'll be alright

To be fair...People were whining after Briles was out....the ledge filled up when we saw Whipple, Chaney, and Bobo's names. Lol

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 10:50 PM
Who are the best FCS offenses? Kansas State hit a freaking home run with Kleiman, maybe we could do the same with a top notch OC from those ranks.

You can look at South Dakota State or North Dakota State the 2 best fcs teams year in year out. But ndsu runs more power stuff and probably wouldn't be a fit for us.

CadaverDawg
01-05-2023, 10:50 PM
Kevin Johns.

He's the only name left that would really excite me.

I could easily get behind Johns as the choice

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 10:51 PM
To be fair...People were whining after Briles was out....the ledge filled up when we saw Whipple, Chaney, and Bobo's names. Lol

Those 3 names can make one want to jump off that ledge too!

vindastra
01-05-2023, 10:52 PM
Mullen to OC

Maverick91

Tells you how much I dont pay attention to the NFL.

BankerDog
So you are saying that he?s worse than leach?

So you are saying we should expect a even worse offense next season?

You realize you are a dumbass and can?t win an argument. You still have not given a rebuttal as
To why he?s not a candidate. Do us a favor and tell us who we could legitimately hire since, according to you in your original post, we have A&M, Bama, Auburn money. Go ahead Pike tell us.

Because, again, no one is going to know if Briles and his amazing 19 points against Liberty at home or Dawson is going to fair with Mississippi talent (because you know we have to lock down Mississippi talent (by the way the state that has only produced 6 NFL WRs, two of which were once a decade players in the same class and all the others played at USM or other out of state schools)). At this point, you are embarrassed because you don?t know your football.

Bdawg
I honestly can't see a young energetic guy like Arnett wanting to hire some of the old relics on that list. I'd be shocked if he hired whipple, chaney or bobo, but heck with what happened today who knows. Zach's honeymoon will be over quick if he hires one of those 3, and admittedly that was just a pretty much thrown together list by Steve.

I don’t see it either, but boy that would be a long offseason if so…. I’m just sitting there laughing at reading all this now. But like you said, that list came from Steve and probably(hopefully) not connected to Arnett.

BlackSailsDawg
01-05-2023, 10:53 PM

oh we could raise a crap ton of money! Let's say 70 plays per game. 70 x $10K 700K x 12= 8.4 Million.

By some great players like that. we can even make it the NCAA recruiting process too.

yjnkdawg
01-05-2023, 10:53 PM
I can't believe CZA's list of OC candidates got leaked out to be posted on 247 for everybody to see and comment on. That doesn't make any sense at all. That list may be just throwing something up against the wall and seeing if some of it will stick.

CadaverDawg
01-05-2023, 10:54 PM
You can look at South Dakota State or North Dakota State the 2 best fcs teams year in year out. But ndsu runs more power stuff and probably wouldn't be a fit for us.

What does SDSU run?

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 10:55 PM
My concern with Hatcher is how his offense did in the playoffs against NDSU. Now granted the talent difference there probably had something to do with it.

Commercecomet24
Here's a guy I'd like us to kick the tires on, Willy Korn. Young guy with some aggressive offenses at Coastal Carolina. Just hired as Liberty oc but he's a young up and coming oc and qb coach

BankerDog
I?d make a run at Will Hall before any of those guys. USM is a sinking ship athletically and conference wise. Pay raise for him.

Yeah let?s do that and bring Ty Keyes with him***

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 10:56 PM
This is kind of brilliant strategy. Fans melt and / or very disappointed not getting Briles. Leak 5 names, at least are absolutely horrible, let fans really lose their minds. Then hire someone better but not as flashy and fans can easily get on board.

CadaverDawg
oh we could raise a crap ton of money! Let's say 70 plays per game. 70 x $10K 700K x 12= 8.4 Million.

By some great players like that. we can even make it the NCAA recruiting process too.

I think we just found the answer, BSD. Lets trademark it...I'll DM you the details.

Dawgface
I can't believe CZA'a list of OC candidates got leaked out to be posted on 247 for everybody to see and comment on. That doesn't make any sense at all.

Me either. The last people I would be talking to right now are 247 or press people. Just conduct your search.

BankerDog
How about Joey Halzle the Tennessee OC.

Is this the young guy that?s coaching QBs? Honestly I was telling someone the other day that two guys I?d like to watch in the future to potentially seek out are UT?s QB coach and Drew Hollingshead.

Coach34
01-05-2023, 10:57 PM
To me SEC OC > being a head coach at a FCS. Or no worse than equal.

Most coaches prefer to be a HC rather than Asst- especially one that hasnt been an Asst since 1999. He has likely had chances to be an OC in D-1 before now

Kinda like on the HS level- most coaches would prefer being a 2A HC over being a 6A OC

CadaverDawg
This is kind of brilliant strategy. Fans melt and / or very disappointed not getting Briles. Leak 5 names, at least are absolutely horrible, let fans really lose their minds. Then fire someone better but not as flashy and fans can easily get on board.

I pray that's the strategy

BlackSailsDawg
Here's a guy I'd like us to kick the tires on, Willy Korn. Young guy with some aggressive offenses at Coastal Carolina. Just hired as Liberty oc but he's a young up and coming oc and qb coach

Graham Harrell is making like $800k at Purdue

Coach34
01-05-2023, 10:58 PM
Is this the young guy that?s coaching QBs? Honestly I was telling someone the other day that two guys I?d like to watch in the future to potentially seek out are UT?s QB coach and Drew Hollingshead.

Heup promoted his QB coach to OC. Guy is also a former OU QB and has been with Heup awhile now

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 10:58 PM
Me either. The last people I would be talking to right now are 247 or press people. Just conduct your search.

This is part of our problem.

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 10:59 PM
What does SDSU run?

Their passing is verts and mesh concepts. They run a lot of exotic alignments but with power run, double TE, fullbacks, etc.

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 10:59 PM
I could easily get behind Johns as the choice

I think I like that choice too at the moment. Seems his offenses have been good in quite a few places and enough experience.

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 11:00 PM
Heup promoted his QB coach to OC. Guy is also a former OU QB and has been with Heup awhile now

That?s right that?s right. He is someone to watch. What he has done with Hendon Hooker has been impressive. Even watching Milton in the bowl game
was impressive; that was not the Milton of Michigan playing.

BlackSailsDawg
I think we just found the answer, BSD. Lets trademark it...I'll DM you the details.

vote on transfers cost $1K. etc. We might suck, but will have the players!

CadaverDawg
Their passing is verts and mesh concepts. They run a lot of exotic alignments but with power run, double TE, fullbacks, etc.

Gotcha

CadaverDawg
01-05-2023, 11:01 PM
vote on transfers cost $1K. etc. We might suck, but will have the players!

We'll only suck for a few years, then we'll buy us a team and be rolling

Commercecomet24

Yeah they kinda mirror ndsu. Head coach been there 24 years and it's always them and ndsu

KOdawg1
I'd rather us take a chance on a guy like him than some of the other names mentioned. Young, hungry, and the potential to be good beats old, mediocre, and you know what their ceiling is.

CadaverDawg
01-05-2023, 11:02 PM
I think I like that choice too at the moment. Seems his offenses have been good in quite a few places and enough experience.

Yeah he's not flashy, but on paper he seems to be a solid hire with a great resume and plenty of experience

CadaverDawg
01-05-2023, 11:02 PM
I'd rather us take a chance on a guy like him than some of the other names mentioned. Young, hungry, and the potential to be good beats old, mediocre, and you know what their ceiling is.

Amen

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 11:03 PM
Alright I think I have the list updated with all the candidates that have been mentioned. I'll add more as they come along. I don't know how realistic some of the ones recently mentioned are. I probably shouldn't have added Korn, but Liberty is small enough we could pull him from. Harrell isn't added because I doubt we could pull him from Purdue. Same with Arbuckle at Washington St. Just because we can afford to do it doesn't mean we need to get in a bidding war over some of these guys.

Commercecomet24

Agreed. Give some young and energetic up and comer with some fire. The offensive equivalent of Zach. Korn has had some great offenses at Coastal too.

Really Clark?
Yeah they kinda mirror ndsu. Head coach been there 24 years and it's always them and ndsu

Yep. Both are fantastic to watch though.

Goldendawg
01-05-2023, 11:05 PM
It's wild how we went from being able to "big game hunt" to having to settle for scraps because "nobody wants to work for a 1st year HC" in a day or two.

Our fan base is the kings of getting fired up about one guy and creating a narrative around him, only to find out in the end that we're still poor and undesirable. It's fascinating really.

So basically it was Briles or Dog Shit? King Kong or ding dong? How is that possible? And if the next guy behind Briles on our list was scraps, how were our leaders so gullible as to think we actually had a shot at Kendal? When you're talking to a 10, and the next one on your wish list is a 3....the 10 is playing you, 100% of the time.

We have to be the dumbest, most gullible program in the country.

I didn't know a couple on this list were still alive and never heard of the rest and I saw my first State game in 1963 at age 8. Are we now in a panic mode or don't know how do build an SEC staff on offense!

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 11:06 PM
Agreed. Give some young and energetic up and comer with some fire. The offensive equivalent of Zach. Korn has had some great offenses at Coastal too.

If that?s the case, we should?ve looked at Drew or Miller.

Also- is Brian Johnson in the same boat as Kliff as far as not wanting to recruit? The games he called for Mullen here were pretty good. Good QB developer, which is really what we need.

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 11:07 PM

I like Korn a lot but I want him calling plays first at Liberty. Chadwell calls the plays and is heavily involved in game planning.

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 11:07 PM
Yep. Both are fantastic to watch though.

I watch just about every ndsu game and have for years. I watch a lot of fcs because it's fun to watch. Kids playing for love of the game and most are well coached and disciplined

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 11:09 PM
I didn't know a couple on this list were still alive and never heard of the rest and I saw my first State game in 1963 at age 8. Are we now in a panic mode or don't know how do build an SEC staff on offense!

It's kinda like the list they were going over at the beginning of the first Major League movie lol

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 11:09 PM

Also- is Brian Johnson in the same boat as Kliff as far as not wanting to recruit? The games he called for Mullen here were pretty good. Good QB developer, which is really what we need.

You and I have talked about Brian many times before. The issue I have with him is would he be ok with us announcing him as the new OC, but letting him continue to coach the Eagles. I don't know that we could wait another month to make the hire. But I will add him to the list. I know he will adapt his play calling. Hell look at the transformation of calls from Franks to Trask.

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 11:10 PM

I was wondering about Brian Johnson myself

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 11:13 PM
SVS-just for S&Gs?what?s Mark Hudspeth and/or Angelo Mirando up to now? Hudspeth,Bump, BP..getting the band back together

Todd4State
01-05-2023, 11:14 PM

Could be interesting.

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 11:14 PM
Might as well add Charlie Weiss to the senior tour group of coaches lol

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 11:15 PM
SVS-just for S&Gs?what?s Mark Hudspeth and/or Angelo Mirando up to now? Hudspeth,Bump, BP..getting the band back together

Angelo Mirando and Bracky being on the same campus is probably not good for all involved.

Todd4State
01-05-2023, 11:16 PM

I think Drew is going to kill it wherever he ends up- Western Kentucky?

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 11:19 PM
I think Drew is going to kill it wherever he ends up- Western Kentucky?

That seems to be a prevailing thought. I'd also watch for that to be a possible landing spot for Robertson or Locke.

BeardoMSU
01-05-2023, 11:21 PM
That seems to be a prevailing thought. I'd also watch for that to be a possible landing spot for Robertson or Locke.

Just saw a tweet linking SR to TCU.

BuckyIsAB****
01-05-2023, 11:27 PM
Samford

BuckyIsAB****
01-05-2023, 11:28 PM
What does SDSU run?

They never throw it

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 11:30 PM

Good for the young man. Disappointed he didn?t get more game reps, etc. Was looking forward to watching he, Locke, and Parson battling it out in the future. Would?ve been good to see.

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 11:33 PM
Samford

They have been pretty good offensively

Bothrops
01-05-2023, 11:34 PM

Good luck with that one.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 11:35 PM
Samford

Actually Samford is behind a bunch of teams in total offense. They are 6th in passing offense. Fordham, UIW, EKU, Bryant, and Cal Poly are all in front of them. Samford threw for a shade over 300 yds a game and rushed for around 120 yds a game.

However as Bank noted earlier, the worry with Hatcher is that when he played superior competition his teams struggle to run the ball.

BlackSailsDawg
01-05-2023, 11:36 PM

And all we needed to do show the qbs we were going to keep in the Air Raid vein.

Instead...

Our HC is.in over his head

BuckyIsAB****
01-05-2023, 11:37 PM
Actually Samford is behind a bunch of teams in total offense. They are 6th in passing offense. Fordham, UIW, EKU, Bryant, and Cal Poly are all in front of them. Samford threw for a shade over 300 yds a game and rushed for around 120 yds a game.

However as Bank noted earlier, the worry with Hatcher is that when he played superior competition his teams struggle to run the ball.

That happens to just about every single team when they play a superior team. We did really well running the ball vs Bama and LSU under Don

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 11:37 PM

The game against NDSU had to be a talent issue. NDSU recruits pretty well. Didn?t the UIW HC just get hired somewhere out west? That offense was fun to watch.

Buck-what would you think about Sam getting into the college game at some point? Y?all have had some tough breaks the last two years in the state championship.

BuckyIsAB****
01-05-2023, 11:39 PM
They have been pretty good offensively

Always are. Hatcher would be fine. It wouldnt be Kiffin or Briles so some on here would bitch till we score

BuckyIsAB****
The game against NDSU had to be a talent issue. NDSU recruits pretty well. Didn?t the UIW HC just get hired somewhere out west? That offense was fun to watch.

Buck-what would you think about Sam getting into the college game at some point? Y?all have had some tough breaks the last two years in the state championship.

Leave Sam alone

Commercecomet24

Ndsu beats an fbs team just about every year. Heck they had an 8 year fbs win streak broken this year. They're the bama of fcs accept even more dominant than bama lol.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 11:40 PM

UIW HC is now at Texas St. It was GJ Kinne who played for Todd Graham at Tulsa. Speaking of Todd Graham, what the hell is even doing now?

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 11:41 PM
Always are. Hatcher would be fine. It wouldnt be Kiffin or Briles so some on here would bitch till we score

My cousin is his DC and he speaks highly of Chris. In fact my cousin has been with him through several of his stops. They're pretty tight

Homedawg
01-05-2023, 11:42 PM
Yall remember when we all flipped out over ******* 2.5 4 year deal in 2010? We are waiving 2 mill for an assistant likes it?s candy now.

To who??

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 11:44 PM
UIW HC is now at Texas St. It was GJ Kinne who played for Todd Graham at Tulsa. Speaking of Todd Graham, what the hell is even doing now?

Nothing, fired from Hawaii in 2021

Homedawg
01-05-2023, 11:45 PM
And all we needed to do show the qbs we were going to keep in the Air Raid vein.

Instead...

For the love of the world just zip it til we make a hire and even better play a game. You're becoming insufferable.
Eta who really cares if Robertson left? He can't play dead. Locke who knows. You damn sure don't.

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 11:45 PM
To who??

Mullen in 2010. It was a little more than that though

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 11:46 PM
For the love of the world just zip it til we make a hire and even better play a game. You're becoming insufferable.

Yes!!!!

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 11:47 PM
Ndsu beats an fbs team just about every year. Heck they had an 8 year fbs win streak broken this year. They're the bama of fcs accept even more dominant than bama lol.

No doubt about it. I forgot that win streak. Lot of guys at that level are true football players and not just great athletes.

When I was on Senior Bowl committee we always had guys from those smaller schools there. Watching Josh Allen and Baker dual it out after practice in a passing competition was fun to watch. I also took joy watching the Saints draft selection this past year, Penning, get after it at the practices. He had some guys ticked off that they were getting showed up by a FCS guy

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 11:47 PM

And maybe he would. But "just fine" is not going to light the recruiting trail on fire. Briles and Kiffin carry 100 times the name recognition of a guy who hasn't coached at the FBS level this century. Again, I'm not saying Hatcher would be a bad hire because we don't know. But there will be no hype surrounding that hire. In his defense though, outside of some OOLF hire of a Kingsbury, Riley, or Kittley type there won't be much hype surrounding the hire. We swung big and missed.

Goldendawg
01-05-2023, 11:48 PM
Mullen to OC

Incoming Freshman Davis is big enough to run "Holloway Up the Middle", but we know Will too slow to run QB draw on 3rd and 12. Would never work!*** Hail State!

Cooterpoot
01-05-2023, 11:48 PM
I see Thomas is still trolling around here. He's been banned from every site but keeps reincarnating.

Bothrops
01-05-2023, 11:49 PM
My concern with Hatcher is how his offense did in the playoffs against NDSU. Now granted the talent difference there probably had something to do with it.

My main concern with Hatcher is he hasn't coached or recruited outside the FCS orbit. That gives me major pause, mainly on the recruiting side. This is not fun.

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 11:50 PM
No doubt about it. I forgot that win streak. Lot of guys at that level are true football players and not just great athletes.

When I was on Senior Bowl committee we always had guys from those smaller schools there. Watching Josh Allen and Baker dual it out after practice in a passing competition was fun to watch. I also took joy watching the Saints draft selection this past year, Penning, get after it at the practices. He had some guys ticked off that they were getting showed up by a FCS guy

Yeah those dudes play hard. They're hungry and like you said just true football players. Man that sounds like a blast being involved in that and seeing those cats up close.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 11:51 PM

Instead...

Not ready to say this yet. Let's see who the OC hire is first before we jump off a cliff. The trio of Bobo, Chaney, and Whipple have me worried, but I'm just hoping that was an agent feeding Rosebowl his client's names to try and get them out there.

BankerDog
01-05-2023, 11:51 PM
And maybe he would. But "just fine" is not going to light the recruiting trail on fire. Briles and Kiffin carry 100 times the name recognition of a guy who hasn't coached at the FBS level this century. Again, I'm not saying Hatcher would be a bad hire because we don't know. But there will be no hype surrounding that hire. In his defense though, outside of some OOLF hire of a Kingsbury, Riley, or Kittley type there won't be much hype surrounding the hire. We swung big and missed.

In all respect, we didn?t know what we had with Arnett, Brock, or McBath.

DownwardDawg
01-05-2023, 11:52 PM
Eta who really cares if Robertson left? He can't play dead. Locke who knows. You damn sure don't.

Agree!!!!

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 11:54 PM
In all respect, we didn?t know what we had with Arnett, Brock, or McBath.

We didn't. The point I was trying to make is that we swung and missed very publicly with Briles. Anyone outside of another big name is going to look like a letdown. You can try to spin it any way you want but that's the facts of it. Now Hatcher, Johns, Dawson, Miller, or whoever it may be could be the second coming of Joe Brady for all we know. But we'll have to see results. A name like Briles carries weight with it. Good or bad he has name recognition.

Bothrops
01-06-2023, 12:01 AM
We didn't. The point I was trying to make is that we swung and missed very publicly with Briles. Anyone outside of another big name is going to look like a letdown. You can try to spin it any way you want but that's the facts of it. Now Hatcher, Johns, Dawson, Miller, or whoever it may be could be the second coming of Joe Brady for all we know. But we'll have to see results. A name like Briles carries weight with it. Good or bad he has name recognition.

Truth

CoachT14
01-06-2023, 12:24 AM

I think we are about to see that Arnett wasn’t as prepared as we thought he was. The guy has been with 2 coaches his entire career. His contacts are minimal. I would be very prepared to start seeing Ryan Lindley’s name start being shopped as the OC. What should that tell us? Arnett wants the offense to be a ground and pound Pro Style offense. That’s why that list was leaked. To get us prepared for an extremely underwhelming OC hire.

I have been very worried about Arnett being the guy. He botched this search waiting until after the bowl game to start it basically and I’d be willing to bet he doesn’t have a backup list.

StarkVegasSteve
01-06-2023, 12:32 AM
I think we are about to see that Arnett wasn’t as prepared as we thought he was. The guy has been with 2 coaches his entire career. His contacts are minimal. I would be very prepared to start seeing Ryan Lindley’s name start being shopped as the OC. What should that tell us? Arnett wants the offense to be a ground and pound Pro Style offense. That’s why that list was leaked. To get us prepared for an extremely underwhelming OC hire.

I have been very worried about Arnett being the guy. He botched this search waiting until after the bowl game to start it basically and I’d be willing to bet he doesn’t have a backup list.

We'll just have to see. We don't have the personnel to go ground and pound. Whether that be out of I or out of gun. We just don't. So we'll see real fast whether Arnett wants to win or wants to be like Moorhead and prove his way is better than the right way.

Anonymous
01-06-2023, 12:33 AM
If I had place odds on it at the moment they'd probably be:

Johns 7-1
Hatcher 7-1
Dawson 15-1
Miller 20-1
Everyone else 75-1
Out of LF Candidate- 80-1

Never has a penis been this soft.

Commercecomet24
01-06-2023, 12:34 AM
Arnett kept the recruiting class intact(and even added a couple good ones at the last minute), he prepared us and won the bowl game. I say he's done ok so far so let's cut him a little slack until we see who he actually hires. He wants to win and I think he'll make a good hire. Heck if he doesn't there'll be plenty of time to bmc then.

StarkVegasSteve
01-06-2023, 12:35 AM
Never has a penis been this soft.

If you've got a name I'll add it to the list. No name is stupid as we have seen tonight.

Commercecomet24
01-06-2023, 12:36 AM
If you've got a name I'll add it to the list. No name is stupid as we have seen tonight.

Did you add Charlie Weiss for the seniors tour group lol!

StarkVegasSteve
01-06-2023, 12:38 AM
Did you add Charlie Weiss for the seniors tour group lol!

I disqualified him. You can only collect checks from two schools at one time like Kevin Sumlin. Charlie was at 3 at one point.

State82
01-06-2023, 12:39 AM

He botched the search?? You gotta be 17ing kidding me! With all he has had on his plate the last month AND trying to prepare for a bowl game, which he won in case you missed it. And was in the running to land one of the top OC's in America. Geez this is beyond comprehension. I don't even know what to say or think.

StarkVegasSteve
01-06-2023, 12:42 AM
He botched the search?? You gotta be 17ing kidding me! With all he has had on his plate the last month AND trying to prepare for a bowl game, which he won in case you missed it. And was in the running to land one of the top OC's in America. Geez this is beyond comprehension. I don't even know what to say or think.

I think people are just reacting to the list that Rosebowl put out. Why he did that I do not know. That was beyond dumb. He should've kept those names to himself if that's all he could find. I mean Whipple, Chaney, and Bobo. That's bad.

Commercecomet24
01-06-2023, 12:42 AM
I disqualified him. You can only collect checks from two schools at one time like Kevin Sumlin. Charlie was at 3 at one point.

I was just kidding anyway lol. Charlie had a great rep at one time but boy did he turn up the suck knob after he left the pats.

Commercecomet24
01-06-2023, 12:43 AM
I think people are just reacting to the list that Rosebowl put out. Why he did that I do not know. That was beyond dumb. He should've kept those names to himself if that's all he could find. I mean Whipple, Chaney, and Bobo. That's bad.

Amen to this! You would think Steve would have better sense than that. He had to know it would cause a stir.

StarkVegasSteve
01-06-2023, 12:49 AM
Amen to this! You would think Steve would have better sense than that. He had to know it would cause a stir.

Well and that makes me think that there's a couple of other names out there that if he had slid them in after the Briles news people would've been mad at them, which was going to be almost any name that wasn't Riley, Kittley, or someone like that. I do think Dawson and Hatcher have shots at it. I refuse to believe those other 3 do. If they do, then the reaction was rightfully toxic and hostile and Arnett will have used all his goodwill up before February. Hell I've said since last week I've thought the hire was going to be Shannon Dawson. It was no inside knowledge. His background just makes sense. He's been with Dana for years. He recruits Texas well. He also has been with Mumme, Monken and Hopson. Granted, He did get fired at UK and USM but his offenses have been able to move the ball.

Commercecomet24
01-06-2023, 12:51 AM
Well and that makes me think that there's a couple of other names out there that if he had slid them in after the Briles news people would've been mad at them, which was going to be almost any name that wasn't Riley, Kittley, or someone like that. I do think Dawson and Hatcher have shots at it. I refuse to believe those other 3 do. If they do, then the reaction was rightfully toxic and hostile and Arnett will have used all his goodwill up before February.

Agree on all this.

Commercecomet24
01-06-2023, 12:53 AM
Well and that makes me think that there's a couple of other names out there that if he had slid them in after the Briles news people would've been mad at them, which was going to be almost any name that wasn't Riley, Kittley, or someone like that. I do think Dawson and Hatcher have shots at it. I refuse to believe those other 3 do. If they do, then the reaction was rightfully toxic and hostile and Arnett will have used all his goodwill up before February. Hell I've said since last week I've thought the hire was going to be Shannon Dawson. It was no inside knowledge. His background just makes sense. He's been with Dana for years. He recruits Texas well. He also has been with Mumme, Monken and Hopson. Granted, He did get fired at UK and USM but his offenses have been able to move the ball.

Dawson seems like he could do a good job. Lot of experience and his offenses have been good and the Texas connection is important

StarkVegasSteve
01-06-2023, 12:56 AM
Dawson seems like he could do a good job. Lot of experience and his offenses have been good and the Texas connection is important

Well it's important because we're losing Drew who was our main TX HS recruiter. He identified almost all our prospects from the high school ranks there. Jason Washington was the portal guy who had the TX connections but Drew got us into the high schools.

Todd4State
01-06-2023, 12:58 AM

I never understood why we didn't just name him the interim for the bowl game and do a proper coaching search? To keep our what? 30th ranked recruiting class together?

We should have accelerated the AD hire instead of slowing it down.

Honestly, it looks like boosters are running our program right now. Fire almost all of Leach's offensive staff and immediately put Bumphis in. And most of the names being floated around for the other assistant spots are guys that used to coach at MSU as well. And now going after some OC that they're enamored with who put up about the same point totals as Leach did this past season. I just hope this works out.

Todd4State
01-06-2023, 01:02 AM

Pretty obvious to me that he leaked those names because a lot of fans are disappointed in Briles not coming- for whatever reason. I think we dodged a bullet personally but that's just my opinion. Anyway whoever we do hire will probably be someone better than Mark Whipple but not as exciting as Briles or whoever so then he can say "Hey it could have been Mark Whipple!"

Casey Woods and Rob Likens both at SMU have a background that make sense as well- and put up some darn good numbers this year. I'd roll the dice with them over Dawson.

StarkVegasSteve
01-06-2023, 01:03 AM
I never understood why we didn't just name him the interim for the bowl game and do a proper coaching search? To keep our what? 30th ranked recruiting class together?

We should have accelerated the AD hire instead of slowing it down.

Honestly, it looks like boosters are running our program right now. Fire almost all of Leach's offensive staff and immediately put Bumphis in. And most of the names being floated around for the other assistant spots are guys that used to coach at MSU as well. And now going after some OC that they're enamored with who put up about the same point totals as Leach did this past season. I just hope this works out.

Well you go from a 30th ranked class, which was actually ranked 24th I think, to 130th. We were in a no win situation and whether he had an AD or not we still would've been in a no win situation. We did the best thing we could do at that moment. Now to your second point, some of the boosters are running the program if I had to guess. Look no further than Brad Peterson being installed as the new COS. Again, I'll hold judgement on the OC until one is hired, because we look we did take a big swing. We missed, but we took a big swing instead of just hiring the safe candidate from the jump. That tells me that Arnett isn't scared to take some risks.

StarkVegasSteve
01-06-2023, 01:06 AM
Pretty obvious to me that he leaked those names because a lot of fans are disappointed in Briles not coming- for whatever reason. I think we dodged a bullet personally but that's just my opinion. Anyway whoever we do hire will probably be someone better than Mark Whipple but not as exciting as Briles or whoever so then he can say "Hey it could have been Mark Whipple!"

Casey Woods and Rob Likens both at SMU have a background that make sense as well- and put up some darn good numbers this year. I'd roll the dice with them over Dawson.

Rob Likens would be about as WE ARE MISSISSIPPI STATE as we could get. Former player that we are elevating as being a good coach because he's a former player. The guy hasn't had play calling duties in 4 years and was pretty bad when he had them that time. I'll give you Casey, even though he doesn't call the plays. But he's a lot better choice than Likens.

trojandawg
01-06-2023, 01:23 AM
When you don't have a good sitting AD in place this shit happens. I was surprised but understood when arnett was hire but this what you get with a defensive head coach with no head coaching experience at the sec level. You try to poach a sitting sec coordinator you get burned. Then the rest of the list is pickings.

CoachT14
01-06-2023, 01:30 AM
When you don't have a good sitting AD in place this shit happens. I was surprised but understood when arnett was hire but this what you get with a defensive head coach with no head coaching experience at the sec level. You try to poach a sitting sec coordinator you get burned. Then the rest of the list is pickings.

Arnett has 0 decent offensive connections outside of Leach. And he pissed in that bowl by basically telling the majority of the offensive staff GTFO. And I hated the idea of having Spurrier as OC but to push away Hollingshed, Miller, and Washington was not smart. I think we are in for a long year and half.

CoachT14
01-06-2023, 01:35 AM

You think it wasn?t feasible for him to already be back channeling the OC hire in the last month? Lol. He could?ve easily been doing that. But no. He waited. And go left at the alter. It?s the same crap Keenum did with the AD hire. Delay delay delay and then get caught with your pants down.

Really Clark?
01-06-2023, 06:29 AM
For anyone thinking we basically started looking this week for an OC, they are completely wrong. We have spoken to multiple guys over the last 3 weeks. Have had deep conversations with at least 2 other guys prior to this week.

Really Clark?
01-06-2023, 06:42 AM

Well between those 2 you definitely look at Woods over Likens but if I poach from G5 programs, I'm poaching someone with a track record of success and calling plays. Lashlee is the SMU play caller.

WinningIsRelentless
01-06-2023, 08:27 AM
We'll just have to see. We don't have the personnel to go ground and pound. Whether that be out of I or out of gun. We just don't. So we'll see real fast whether Arnett wants to win or wants to be like Moorhead and prove his way is better than the right way.

We didn?t have the personnel to go straight air raid but we sure as hell did with Leach.

Y?all are like a bunch of teenage girls when hormones hit. Jesus Christ.

ZedFedder
01-06-2023, 08:29 AM
Y’all are insane.

CoachT14
01-06-2023, 08:30 AM
For anyone thinking we basically started looking this week for an OC, they are completely wrong. We have spoken to multiple guys over the last 3 weeks. Have had deep conversations with at least 2 other guys prior to this week.

I hope you’re right. That list getting sent out screams otherwise. He can talk about non-inclusive all he wants. He knew what that list would do and the logical thing would’ve been to sit on it if it didn’t have any validity to. But instead, Steve sends it out. So the next question is why? It doesn’t make any sense for him to just do it for the the tizzy he’s about to send everyone in (maybe I’m wrong). It makes more sense that that list is more accurate than he is trying to let on.

Bdawg
01-06-2023, 08:35 AM
You think it wasn?t feasible for him to already be back channeling the OC hire in the last month? Lol. He could?ve easily been doing that. But no. He waited. And go left at the alter. It?s the same crap Keenum did with the AD hire. Delay delay delay and then get caught with your pants down.

No way I’ll believe we waited till after the bowl game to START looking. If he did, fire him now. We may have waited to start negotiating then but not looking. No way in hell.

msudawglb
01-06-2023, 08:37 AM
I like Johns at Duke. I?d be excited if he comes in. Anyone know if we are looking at him?

William Tecumsah Sherman
01-06-2023, 08:44 AM
I like Johns. Some of the name Steve put out are downright comical. Someone is screwing with him.

StarkVegasSteve
01-06-2023, 08:52 AM
I like Johns. Some of the name Steve put out are downright comical. Someone is screwing with him.

I doubt anyone is screwing with him. I just think whoever their agent is has been floating their name in coaching circles to try and drum up interest.

msstate7
01-06-2023, 09:07 AM
Duke's leading rusher was the qb last season. If we going to Johns, gotta figure we need a qb or at least have one to split snaps with will... sorta like leak and tebow at Florida

Really Clark?
01-06-2023, 09:19 AM
Duke's leading rusher was the qb last season. If we going to Johns, gotta figure we need a qb or at least have one to split snaps with will... sorta like leak and tebow at Florida

Look at his whole body of work not just last year. At Memphis his first year his QB ran the ball 61 times for -71 27 of those were sacks for 170 yards. While it's there in his system he doesn't have to call on the QB to do a lot of running if the ability is not there. Most of his offenses the RB get the vast majority of the carries. But he does adapt.

RiverCityDawg
01-06-2023, 09:21 AM

Wrong

TorpedoIPA
01-06-2023, 09:30 AM

Give me a break.

Look at both of Leach's stops before MSU. It took him 2 or 3 years to get rolling. In my opinion, he was just on the verge with the players he was developing in the system. It's a shame you can't develop a program anymore because fans have to have instant results against teams with more money and better recruiting.

It's a shame MSU looks to be dismantling what Leach was building.

Oh well.........

TrapGame
01-06-2023, 09:41 AM
Well you go from a 30th ranked class, which was actually ranked 24th I think, to 130th. We were in a no win situation and whether he had an AD or not we still would've been in a no win situation. We did the best thing we could do at that moment. Now to your second point, some of the boosters are running the program if I had to guess. Look no further than Brad Peterson being installed as the new COS. Again, I'll hold judgement on the OC until one is hired, because we look we did take a big swing. We missed, but we took a big swing instead of just hiring the safe candidate from the jump. That tells me that Arnett isn't scared to take some risks.

And why some folks on here can't grasp this is beyond me. This program dodged a nuke by making Arnett head coach. We would have lost half our recruits and 20+ players would have jumped in the portal. At that point no matter who we hired - ****ing Urban Meyer even - would have had a massive rebuild on their hands. And all the while the Cyber Coaches around here who have never lost a game in their version of reality would have been tearing him down, just like Leach, because we did exactly what they wanted.

Johnson85
01-06-2023, 09:42 AM
I may be wrong- I just dont see any way Hatcher becomes an Asst after 22 years of being a HC

He probably makes less than $200k at Samford? If we low ball him we'll triple his salary. I'm sure it's nice being head coach, but it's not like he's been at Samford 22 years. He's been there five. If it doesn't work as OC, he can make three times as much money for two years and then go get another head coaching job at a lower level with an extra half a million in the bank.

msstate7
01-06-2023, 09:42 AM
Is it a coincidence that Memphis went down in scoring from 2019-2021 every year from the previous, and then jumped up 5.2 ppg this season after Johns left.

To be fair, Duke was up considerably this season from last in ppg

Really Clark?
01-06-2023, 09:44 AM
He probably makes less than $200k at Samford? If we low ball him we'll triple his salary. I'm sure it's nice being head coach, but it's not like he's been at Samford 22 years. He's been there five. If it doesn't work as OC, he can make three times as much money for two years and then go get another head coaching job at a lower level with an extra half a million in the bank.

His base is around $250,000 with incentives it pushes his salary to around $450,000

CoachT14
01-06-2023, 09:45 AM
Look at his whole body of work not just last year. At Memphis his first year his QB ran the ball 61 times for -71 27 of those were sacks for 170 yards. While it's there in his system he doesn't have to call on the QB to do a lot of running if the ability is not there. Most of his offenses the RB get the vast majority of the carries. But he does adapt.

Johns should be the call. I just have my doubts Arnett is even looking at him.

Bdawg
01-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Is it a coincidence that Memphis went down in scoring from 2019-2021 every year from the previous, and then jumped up 5.2 ppg this season after Johns left.

To be fair, Duke was up considerably this season from last in ppg

Where did they rank each year at Memphis? And did it go down much? And where did Memphis rank year 15-18. Lot of factors involved to because Memphis has been pretty good on O for a while now if I recall(or have had some good years).

Johnson85
01-06-2023, 09:48 AM
Look at both of Leach's stops before MSU. It took him 2 or 3 years to get rolling. In my opinion, he was just on the verge with the players he was developing in the system. It's a shame you can't develop a program anymore because fans have to have instant results against teams with more money and better recruiting.

It's a shame MSU looks to be dismantling what Leach was building.

Oh well.........

Did you miss the part where Leach passed away? It was kind of a big deal, so I'm surprised you missed it. We lost our more or less one of a kind head coach and offensive coordinator. It's not like we said screw it let's start over.

Coach34
01-06-2023, 09:54 AM
His base is around $250,000 with incentives it pushes his salary to around $450,000

I wouldnt leave a head job making 400K for an OC job to make $1MM