PDA

View Full Version : Timeline and Offer

Pages : [1] 2

Tough Dawg
01-04-2023, 09:48 AM
So I?m assuming news will break today either way? I?ve heard we?ve put north of $2mil per year in front of Briles. Did we give him till today to make a decision? Recruits coming this weekend. Still no AD. A lot of rumors and assumptions.

Hard to recruit these offensive guys with no OC in place.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 09:50 AM
I'm wondering who the fall back is. Think if he turns it down, we still have an OC by Friday?

Tough Dawg
01-04-2023, 09:54 AM
Good question and I?d doubt we would.

TrapGame
01-04-2023, 09:54 AM
I think Arkansas has told him to wait and hear out their counter offer. It also could be Briles is having a discussion with his family. A lot of Ark posters were saying his wife and kids are really happy there. And maybe there's a talk with some of the offensive coaches b/c he's going to be bringing some of them with him if he chooses to leave. And of course he could be taking stock of various offensive players that are talking to him on the down low about transferring to State to play for him.

And it could be all total bullshit just to get Arkansas to break $2m just to keep him.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 10:03 AM
We need to get the AD position filled but I don't see that is as pressing as the recruits this weekend knowing who is our new OC and being able to talk with him even if it has to be on a zoom call. Word was that MSU should know something one way or another sometimes today. I saw on another board where an ARK poster said when Miami was interested in KB, that they offered him $2 million. Johns, the Duke OC, may possibly be another option if this doesn't go through.

TheLostDawg
01-04-2023, 10:04 AM
True but the one thing that we have on Arkansas is that they are in a Moorhead situation. Some of the staff see they could possibly looking for a job this time next year.
He may like Fayetteville but Howland liked the west coast. When you are bringing that kind of money in, you look at living where you want in the off season and retirement

msstate7
01-04-2023, 10:06 AM
I just hope ZA doesn't get caught flat footed on this. Until KB accepts, assume he won't.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 10:07 AM
I think Arkansas has told him to wait and hear out their counter offer. It also could be Briles is having a discussion with his family. A lot of Ark posters were saying his wife and kids are really happy there. And maybe there's a talk with some of the offensive coaches b/c he's going to be bringing some of them with him if he chooses to leave. And of course he could be taking stock of various offensive players that are talking to him on the down low about transferring to State to play for him.

And it could be all total bullshit just to get Arkansas to break $2m just to keep him.

Sexton is his agent. So who knows. Some ARK people said he was happy there and he was the HC in waiting. Time will tell, I guess.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 10:10 AM
True but the one thing that we have on Arkansas is that they are in a Moorhead situation. Some of the staff see they could possibly looking for a job this time next year.
He may like Fayetteville but Howland liked the west coast. When you are bringing that kind of money in, you look at living where you want in the off season and retirement

Another positive thing here is KB will have complete control of the offense. I don't think that's the case up there.

Bdawg
01-04-2023, 10:11 AM
I just hope ZA doesn't get caught flat footed on this. Until KB accepts, assume he won't.

Yep. AR sounds like they in a Kiffen situation, unless the rumor he reached out to us is true. If he reached out to us, I feel it’s a done deal and just working out the details.

TheLostDawg
01-04-2023, 10:11 AM
We need to get the AD position filled but I don't see that is as pressing as the recruits this weekend knowing who is our new OC and being able to talk with him even if it has to be on a zoom call. Word was that MSU should know something one way or another sometimes today. I saw on another board where an ARK poster said when Miami was interested in KB, that they offered him $2 million. Johns, the Duke OC, may possibly be another option if this doesn't go through.

https://goduke.com/staff-directory/kevin-johns/893

CadaverDawg
01-04-2023, 10:12 AM
Sexton is his agent. So who knows. Some ARK people said he was happy there and he was the HC in waiting. Time will tell, I guess.

I'm thrilled with my job, until someone offers me an extra million to do a different one....then I'm even happier with my new job.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2023, 10:15 AM

Damn, that's a solid resume. He coaches some stout offenses at some schools that had no business having offenses ranked that high. Impressive.

Tough Dawg
01-04-2023, 10:18 AM
First I've heard of him reaching out to us. That changes things a bit in my opinion.

Bdawg
01-04-2023, 10:19 AM
Damn, that's a solid resume. He coaches some stout offenses at some schools that had no business having offenses ranked that high. Impressive.

Yeah. Seems he’s had a good offense everywhere he’s been OC. Could be a solid back up plan I guess.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 10:21 AM
Johns uses a mobile qb and te. Duke's leading rusher was their qb this season

ETA... their qb is from fairhope, al. He's a soph, and he was #29 nationally in QBR

Bdawg
01-04-2023, 10:21 AM
First I've heard of him reaching out to us. That changes things a bit in my opinion.

It was mentioned on here. Not saying it’s true. You know how rumors are. Either he is seeing a sinking ship and reaching out, or he is happy(like some pigs say) and we are making a bold move.

TrapGame
01-04-2023, 10:22 AM
Yep. AR sounds like they in a Kiffen situation, unless the rumor he reached out to us is true. If he reached out to us, I feel it’s a done deal and just working out the details.

Yep, the he reached out to us rumor was from a 247 mod, IIRC. So I wouldn't necessarily take it with a grain of salt. We could be very well working out details like who's coming with him from Ark and their salaries.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-04-2023, 10:23 AM
Tick Tock

Todd4State
01-04-2023, 10:25 AM
2 million would put him up there with Monken as far as highest paid coordinator.

Johnson85
01-04-2023, 10:28 AM
Yep, the he reached out to us rumor was from a 247 mod, IIRC. So I wouldn't necessarily take it with a grain of salt. We could be very well working out details like who's coming with him from Ark and their salaries.

I really hope the reaching out to us is completely baseless. Just because I would hope that if a coordinator reached out to Arnett, he'd keep that shit under lock and key. I know coaching is a little different from most employment markets, and employers know their coaches are looking at other offers, but I would view a coach reaching out for a lateral position as something different from normal coaching search stuff and to be kept confidential.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 10:28 AM
2 million would put him up there with Monken as far as highest paid coordinator.

For us to make the lateral pull, I think he have to overpay. Who knows if he'll be worth it, but that's what it will cost us

msstate7
01-04-2023, 10:29 AM
I really hope the reaching out to us is completely baseless. Just because I would hope that if a coordinator reached out to Arnett, he'd keep that shit under lock and key. I know coaching is a little different from most employment markets, and employers know their coaches are looking at other offers, but I would view a coach reaching out for a lateral position as something different from normal coaching search stuff and to be kept confidential.

"Reaching out to us" is most likely his agent reached out to us

Johnson85
01-04-2023, 10:29 AM

I'm just not seeing the rationale for paying him $2M. I'll be perfectly happy if we get him, but I did not view him as the type of coordinator to break the bank for. I guess if we really want a mobile QB and the thought is he will bring one with him, then that's maybe a little different.

Johnson85
01-04-2023, 10:31 AM
"Reaching out to us" is most likely his agent reached out to us

I get that but it still seems different to me. If Briles stays, that news is going to burn some of his good will in Arkansas. Much more so I think than a story that he was contacted and was willing to listen.

CaptainObvious
01-04-2023, 10:35 AM
I read these posts with an eye toward the Maroon Elephant in the Room.

WE AINT GOT NO DAMN TARGET!!!!

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 10:36 AM
I'm thrilled with my job, until someone offers me an extra million to do a different one....then I'm even happier with my new job.

LOL Yep!

Cowbell
01-04-2023, 10:43 AM

HC in waiting? Does Pittman have unknown health concerns too? That dude is gonna get fired from there at some point. Brikes has a better chance of becoming the next head coach if he moves to a different job and continues to succeed, while that dumpster fire keeps rolling.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 10:44 AM
I just read on another team's board that there may be some ARK coaches leaving ARK just to get away from Pittman. Just like those players apparently did who hit the portal. so if KB want's to be the ARK HC he can wait here at MSU hopefully as our OC.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 10:45 AM
HC in waiting? Does Pittman have unknown health concerns too? That dude is gonna get fired from there at some point. Brikes has a better chance of becoming the next head coach if he moves to a different job and continues to succeed, while that dumpster fire keeps rolling.

Dumpster fire seems extreme. They're 16-10 the last 2 seasons, which is exactly the same as us

mo7888
01-04-2023, 10:47 AM

Part of the discussion could be a promise to be Pittman's successor up here if he's let go? Maybe even a mid season firing/hiring..

KOdawg1
01-04-2023, 10:48 AM
Yeah, Kevin Johns would be a solid back up plan.

Experienced coordinator who's had success at multiple schools.

I don't think it would take much to get him either

Saltydog
01-04-2023, 10:49 AM

The $2MM doesn't scare Wal-Mart........

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 10:50 AM

Yeah, I know . Just what some said on the ARK board.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 10:53 AM
Yeah, Kevin Johns would be a solid back up plan.

Experienced coordinator who's had success at multiple schools.

I don't think it would take much to get him either

Yeah if KB doesn't work out, Johns could be the diamond in the rough of all the names that have been mentioned.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 11:03 AM
I like John's fine and think it would be a good hire. Been solid except his last year at Indiana when he was let go but that crap happens. Just know for all the ones wanting to stay closer to the Leach tree he is further away. Zone reads and RPO's and 11 personnel. His QB was the leading rusher last year.

StarkVegasSteve
01-04-2023, 11:09 AM
If it is not KB then we do have fall back options and I am certain that Johns is one of them. Down the list a bit, but he is on it.

StarkVegasSteve
01-04-2023, 11:10 AM
I like John's fine and think it would be a good hire. Been solid except his last year at Indiana when he was let go but that crap happens. Just know for all the ones wanting to stay closer to the Leach tree he is further away. Zone reads and RPO's and 11 personnel. His QB was the leading rusher last year.

Johns will bring back the Moorhead offense. So our recruiting strategy would need to completely change.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 11:15 AM
Johns will bring back the Moorhead offense. So our recruiting strategy would need to completely change.

I mean it's in there for sure but some differences. At the very least he runs his offense a good bit faster pace. Lol. I curse more on the check with me wait inside 5 sec snaps...delay of games and false starts. My blood increasing again thinking about it.

DLGDawg
01-04-2023, 11:17 AM
I get that but it still seems different to me. If Briles stays, that news is going to burn some of his good will in Arkansas. Much more so I think than a story that he was contacted and was willing to listen.

I've read a lot and cannot provide the link, but the way I remember reading it was that we contacted him to check interest and KB said he was interested.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 11:32 AM
If we wanna stay a pass happy offense, guess we could check in on Starkville native Casey woods at smu or Bryan Ellis at Georgia southern. Ellis was at WKU with kittley.

Coach34
01-04-2023, 11:35 AM
You can be assured Briles is working the phones talking to coaches to see who would come with him before he makes his final decision.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 11:38 AM
If we wanna stay a pass happy offense, guess we could check in on Starkville native Casey woods at smu or Bryan Ellis at Georgia southern. Ellis was at WKU with kittley.

Not against taking a look but does Lashlee and Helton call their own plays?

Todd4State
01-04-2023, 11:43 AM
For us to make the lateral pull, I think he have to overpay. Who knows if he'll be worth it, but that's what it will cost us

Absolutely. But here's the thing- Arnett makes 3 million or so I think. Once you get past 2 million with Briles that's getting awfully close to what the head coach is making. I would imagine that would be unusual if not unheard of in that profession to have a head coach making only say 5K more than one of his coordinators in this era of college football.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 11:44 AM
Not against taking a look but does Lashlee and Helton call their own plays?

No idea.

Todd4State
01-04-2023, 11:45 AM
I'm just not seeing the rationale for paying him $2M. I'll be perfectly happy if we get him, but I did not view him as the type of coordinator to break the bank for. I guess if we really want a mobile QB and the thought is he will bring one with him, then that's maybe a little different.

I agree. I thought I heard 1.5 million. That was a rumor though. Not sure what his current salary is but on the surface I would have maybe offered a million given his track record.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 11:47 AM
Absolutely. But here's the thing- Arnett makes 3 million or so I think. Once you get past 2 million with Briles that's getting awfully close to what the head coach is making. I would imagine that would be unusual if not unheard of in that profession to have a head coach making only say 5K more than one of his coordinators in this era of college football.

I agree that would be unusual and you rather see a bigger separation in salary. I guess if ZA is pushing us to go this way banking on a successful season and bigger pay day / extension next year, it may be something he's fine with.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 11:50 AM
I agree. I thought I heard 1.5 million. That was a rumor though. Not sure what his current salary is but on the surface I would have maybe offered a million given his track record.

$1.25 this year and $1.3 next year

FISHDAWG
01-04-2023, 11:54 AM
I agree that would be unusual and you rather see a bigger separation in salary. I guess if ZA is pushing us to go this way banking on a successful season and bigger pay day / extension next year, it may be something he's fine with.

yep ... I think he can use KB to get himself a raise next year ... seems like a smart play

Ezsoil
01-04-2023, 11:57 AM

Isn't that the guy from Yellowstone?

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 11:58 AM

If you're successful as a HC the money will take care of itself. Surround yourself with the best and be successful and get paid. Zach seems like a pretty smart dude.

TheLostDawg
01-04-2023, 12:14 PM
If you're successful as a HC the money will take care of itself. Surround yourself with the best and be successful and get paid. Zach seems like a pretty smart dude.

Yeah with our schedule next year, go ahead and lock in a good OC so the school is on the hook for one then get your money next year.

RocketDawg
01-04-2023, 12:19 PM

Can't blame them. NWA is a very nice area and much larger than Starkville. But is $2M+ normal for an OC?

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 12:25 PM
Can't blame them. NWA is a very nice area and much larger than Starkville. But is $2M+ normal for an OC?

The $2 MIL mark for any coordinator is at the extreme top end. Only a few make or made that. Elko, Monken, Venables

PikeDawg15
01-04-2023, 12:30 PM
Arnett is shooting for the stars because he knows he has to get this hire right.

Looks like everything but Kendal briles has lost traction so if it isn?t briles then we may be back to square one.

Since arnett is only making 3 million I would be fine paying briles 2 million

Hell ole miss is paying 9 million for one single coach.

Maverick91
01-04-2023, 12:31 PM

Yeah… and like 3 mill in Starkville I feel sorry for him.

I don’t understand the conversation on one guy getting paid all the money. This is where I have always respected Tom Brady he has never had the biggest contract so that they can spend the money elsewhere. This seems really smart by Zach and to know what matters which is winning. As long as my bills are paid and everyone is happy spend that money somewhere else.

RocketDawg
01-04-2023, 12:38 PM
Arnett is shooting for the stars because he knows he has to get this hire right.

Looks like everything but Kendal briles has lost traction so if it isn?t briles then we may be back to square one.

Since arnett is only making 3 million I would be fine paying briles 2 million

Hell ole miss is paying 9 million for one single coach.

Yeah, that's funny. Probably more than our entire staff including HC and Briles if he takes the offer.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 12:40 PM

If you had offered him $1 million then unless he was desperate to get out of ARK then you wouldn't get him because he is making more than that now. The $1.5 or 1.6 million sounds more in line to me. Over $2 million that has been mentioned just doesn't make sense based upon CZA'a salary. And if it's over $2 million it could be higher than Monken's salary.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 12:48 PM
If you had offered him $1 million then unless he was desperate to get out of ARK then you wouldn't get him because he is making more than that now. The $1.5 or 1.6 million sounds more in line to me. Over $2 million that has been mentioned just doesn't make sense based upon CZA'a salary. And if it's over $2 million it could be higher than Monken's salary.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but I think you have to be $1.75-1.85 MIL to pull him and clear a counter offer from Ark that's above your offer.

StarkVegasSteve
01-04-2023, 12:56 PM
You may want to keep the OC hot board up. Not nearly as confident in Briles as I was a couple of hours ago.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 12:58 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with you but I think you have to be $1.75-1.85 MIL to pull him and clear a counter offer from Ark that's above your offer.

Offer him the the $1.5 or $ 1.6 million then negotiate up to maybe $2 million. I just think us paying an OC more than $2 million as has been mentioned may not be reality, but we shall see. But he supposedly had turned Miami's offer down of $2 million back when so who knows.

Tough Dawg
01-04-2023, 01:01 PM
Surely we wouldn?t announce the Bumphis hire if we didn?t have an OC agreed to come. You?d assume he and Bumphis chatted beforehand.

Bdawg
01-04-2023, 01:02 PM

Yep. If he comes, time will tell if a good move or not, but I feel it would probably be money well spent to have proven, veteran OC to go with our new, first time coach.

StarkVegasSteve
01-04-2023, 01:02 PM
Surely we wouldn?t announce the Bumphis hire if we didn?t have an OC agreed to come. You?d assume he and Bumphis chatted beforehand.

They did not. I have that one on pretty good authority. Bumphis is the wrench in hiring Briles.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 01:08 PM
They did not. I have that one on pretty good authority. Bumphis is the wrench in hiring Briles.

Then probably not looking good for briles

Tough Dawg
01-04-2023, 01:12 PM
Well that?s just 17ing stupid on our part if so.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 01:14 PM
Well that?s just 17ing stupid on our part if so.

You don't let an assistant tell you who you can hire as the HC.

StarkVegasSteve
01-04-2023, 01:16 PM
Then probably not looking good for briles

Door is not closed, but way less confident than I was 6 hours ago. We now will see how bad Briles wants out of Arkansas.

StarkVegasSteve
01-04-2023, 01:17 PM
You don't let an assistant tell you who you can hire as the HC.

No but you give him input if you are giving him full control of the offense, which is what is being widely reported. You do not hire a WR coach before you hire an OC.

civildawg
01-04-2023, 01:21 PM
Yeah I can?t believe we are going to let the WR coach dictate the OC hire

KOdawg1
01-04-2023, 01:23 PM
Yeah I can?t believe we are going to let the WR coach dictate the OC hire

We're not.

Cowbell
01-04-2023, 01:23 PM
No but you give him input if you are giving him full control of the offense, which is what is being widely reported. You do not hire a WR coach before you hire an OC.

This has been my concern. We could have waited on the Bumphis hire a week one would think

msudawglb
01-04-2023, 01:24 PM
I don't see Bumphis as hired. He released a statement thanking Utah. That's all I've seen. That could have been a move suggested by Bumphis' agent to also get a better offer from Utah. There's a lot of cat and mouse going on here with agents.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 01:26 PM

Well he knew that we were hiring him and it was discusses. We are hours behind where Briles and ZA are in their discussions. Either it's been ironed out or Briles and us were not as close as many thought to a deal. .

Turfdawg67
01-04-2023, 01:26 PM
This thread is reminiscent of the Napier threads. All that's missing is Bert...

StarkVegasSteve
01-04-2023, 01:28 PM
I don't see Bumphis as hired. He released a statement thanking Utah. That's all I've seen. That could have been a move suggested by Bumphis' agent to also get a better offer from Utah. There's a lot of cat and mouse going on here with agents.

You do not release that unless you have an MOU signed with someone else. I doubt State will officially announce him until an OC is hired.

PGHBulldogBG
01-04-2023, 01:28 PM
Well he knew that we were hiring him and it was discusses. We are hours behind where Briles and ZA are in their discussions. Either it's been ironed out or Briles and us were not as close as many thought to a deal. .

Seems to happen frequently with this fanbase on this board

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 01:29 PM

Yep.

Bdawg
You can be assured Briles is working the phones talking to coaches to see who would come with him before he makes his final decision.

Absolutely. Seriously doubt anyone would make a move without talking to some people first

StarkVegasSteve

I think the deal was fairly close. I mean it was reported by both their guys and ours and some others that he had an offer from us on the table and was leaning towards taking it.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 01:32 PM
I think the deal was fairly close. I mean it was reported by both their guys and ours and some others that he had an offer from us on the table and was leaning towards taking it.

I get it but we don't get real time reporting.

Turfdawg67
01-04-2023, 01:33 PM
It seems the longer things drag out, the less likely they come out the way we want them to... sigh.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 01:33 PM

And yet, no deal. If we don't have em by end of business day today, I say the chances are the same as us winning a natty next season in football

msudawglb
01-04-2023, 01:36 PM
Man, I'm tired of being Mississippi State. We seem to always muck it up.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 01:37 PM

And the sad part is we always get our hopes up... schlossnagle, Napier, and now

Quaoarsking
01-04-2023, 01:38 PM

To be fair, both of those first two turned out for the best.

Dawgface
01-04-2023, 01:38 PM
I'm guessing Arky will bump up his salary and stay put. But I know nothing about nothing.

StarkVegasSteve
01-04-2023, 01:39 PM

The jury is still out on Schloss/Lemonis debate. We might have dodged a bullet with Napier.

Tough Dawg
01-04-2023, 01:41 PM
I understand your point and don't necessarily disagree. But if I'm CZA I think I'd measure which position is more impactful and then prioritize from there. I trust CZA.

Turfdawg67
01-04-2023, 01:43 PM

...OM investigation, Kiffin to Auburn...

msstate7
01-04-2023, 01:44 PM

Maybe. aTm was really good under schloss last year in his first season. I don't think Napier's story is told just yet.

Lemonis winning a natty certainly was an ace. Let's see how he bounces back this season

Bdawg
01-04-2023, 01:47 PM

AR may be having a say in this. And Never underestimate the power of an agent to try to screw both sides in the process.

Todd4State
01-04-2023, 01:47 PM

I've often found that usually is the case in these situations when things don't work out.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 01:49 PM
Well, some supposedly in the know say that Bump being hired already has been a negative factor in KB wanting to take our offer, and then some say it sure can't hurt with Bump being the WR coach in hiring KB. :rolleyes:

TrapGame
01-04-2023, 01:51 PM
Going off what Robbie Faulk posted on Twitter around 11 or so it looks like we are waiting for Briles to say yes or no.

Also, rumored is KJ's NIL for 2023 is $800k.

Anonymous
01-04-2023, 01:52 PM
Just connecting dots, but we?ve had 2 QB?s hit the portal in the last 24 hours. They know who the OC is.

Goldendawg
01-04-2023, 01:53 PM
Sexton playing Lane 2.0 on Hogs and u$.

Bdawg
01-04-2023, 01:53 PM
Well, some supposedly in the know say that Bump being hired already has been a negative factor in Briles wanting to take our offer, and then some say it sure can't hurt with Bump being the WR coach in hiring KB. :rolleyes:

I don’t see how 1 hire on the offensive side of the ball totally turns Briles away. Is there more on the offensive side that are staying and Briles doesn’t have much input?

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 01:55 PM
Going off what Robbie Faulk posted on Twitter around 11 or so it looks like we are waiting for Briles to say yes or no.

Also rumored if KB comes is he may want to bring his RB coach.

viverlibre
01-04-2023, 01:57 PM

I never bought into Bryles even being a remote possibility. Ark can surely match and exceed our best offer, plus there is talk he is the "coach in waiting" there.

I think his interest was more his agent playing up us to get him a raise in his current job.

Bdawg
01-04-2023, 01:58 PM

Yep. What I said above. Sexton doesn’t give 2 craps about either school and will just play one side against the other till someone breaks. Only thing that will sway things our way is Briles interest level in leaving AR. If he sees a sinking ship or is unhappy, we should probably get him.

StarkVegasSteve
01-04-2023, 01:58 PM
Just connecting dots, but we?ve had 2 QB?s hit the portal in the last 24 hours. They know who the OC is.

Or it is that the guy who recruited them, Hollingshead, is not being retained.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 01:59 PM

More likely they know who our qb is for the next 2 years

Bdawg
01-04-2023, 02:02 PM
I never bought into Bryles even being a remote possibility. Ark can surely match and exceed our best offer, plus there is talk he is the "coach in waiting" there.

I think his interest was more his agent playing up us to get him a raise in his current job.

I would be pissed if I was Pittman and AR already had a “coach in waiting”. He hasn’t been there that long and I don’t think he is looking into the sunset like Leach probably was. Not sure if I buy the “coach in waiting” title. How long would he have to wait? Is Pittman on the hot seat?

Homedawg
01-04-2023, 02:03 PM

At least for one more they do.

Cowbell
01-04-2023, 02:06 PM

If any players knew who the hire would be, it would be out within the hour

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 02:07 PM

Locke has officially announced for the portal. Who else has?

msstate7
01-04-2023, 02:08 PM
Arnett has to get a staff in place in a hurry. We aren't a school that recruits/transfers will just wait around on

Desoto1967
01-04-2023, 02:10 PM
Sawyer

Goldendawg
01-04-2023, 02:13 PM
Locke has officially announced for the portal. Who else has?

Roberson just entered portal.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 02:14 PM
Or it is that the guy who recruited them, Hollingshead, is not being retained.

What you just said. Nothing to do with the OC hire.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 02:15 PM
Roberson just entered portal.

Thanks, I just saw that after I had already posted.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 02:18 PM
I don?t see how 1 hire on the offensive side of the ball totally turns Briles away. Is there more on the offensive side that are staying and Briles doesn?t have much input?

I don't either but all I am saying is there seems to be two totally different opinions from some supposedly in the know on the situation.

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 02:20 PM
I don't either but all I am saying is there seems to be two totally different opinions from some supposedly in the know on the situation.

Which shows no one really knows whats happened/happening.

DownwardDawg
01-04-2023, 02:23 PM

Yes. And just like that deal, they already know the outcome. Just working the price.

Turfdawg67
01-04-2023, 02:48 PM

Jarrett Stidham's salary as starting QB for the Raiders is $787K. Leaving college might be salary reduction for some guys. Lol

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 02:53 PM
Yes. And just like that deal, they already know the outcome. Just working the price.

The positive thing for KB taking our offer is that he can run the offense however he wants too and at ARK he is somewhat limited on doing that. Also it doesn't seem like Pittman is their most favorite person, as for as some of the players and coaches think. So possibly and hopefully KB and Sexton not trying to use us to get a raise to stay at ARK, may not be on the table

PawDawg
01-04-2023, 02:55 PM

Coming to the Dogs or staying at Arkansas?

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 02:55 PM

LOL Isn't that the norm CC.

PawDawg
01-04-2023, 02:56 PM
The positive thing for KB taking our offer is that he can run the offense however he wants too and at ARK he is somewhat limited on doing that. Also it doesn't seem like Pittman is their most favorite person, as for as some of the players and coaches think. So possibly and hopefully KB and Sexton not trying to use us to get a raise to stay at ARK, may not be on the table

Sam Pittman's a good coach and players/coaches should respect that.

PendingTransaction
01-04-2023, 02:57 PM
If Briles doesn't accept the offer, good riddance! We want coaches that want to be here, wanna be Dawgs.

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 02:57 PM

Pretty much!

Homedawg
01-04-2023, 03:00 PM

I repeat, even if Briles does come, kj is not and was not coming w him. For various reasons. Nil being one as well.

Extendedcab
01-04-2023, 03:05 PM

Where is Bert when you need him??? :rolleyes:

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 03:08 PM
I repeat, even if Briles does come, kj is not and was not coming w him. For various reasons. Nil being one as well.

Yep. Also, I like KJ but not $800K worth.

PMDawg
01-04-2023, 03:09 PM

what about Briles though?

viverlibre
01-04-2023, 03:10 PM
I would be pissed if I was Pittman and AR already had a ?coach in waiting?. He hasn?t been there that long and I don?t think he is looking into the sunset like Leach probably was. Not sure if I buy the ?coach in waiting? title. How long would he have to wait? Is Pittman on the hot seat?

If Pittman's record next year is the same as this year, his seat will be very warm. Kiffin's and Pittman's status took a huge hit in 2022.

PawDawg
01-04-2023, 03:12 PM
Why make fun of Sam Pittman? Stick to our team!

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 03:17 PM
Where is Bert when you need him??? :rolleyes:

Maybe Bert moved on to Auburn. Who knows. lol

CoachT14
01-04-2023, 03:36 PM

Ellis awful. Kittley was the reason that offense ran. Ellis was 115th and 91st in scoring when he was there by himself.
I have to imagine GSU?s success is more because of Helton and not Ellis.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 03:48 PM
Ellis awful. Kittley was the reason that offense ran. Ellis was 115th and 91st in scoring when he was there by himself.
I have to imagine GSU?s success is more because of Helton and not Ellis.

I don't know much about him, but those stats are massive improvements from the previous season. That was their 1st season there

CoachT14
01-04-2023, 03:51 PM
I don't know much about him, but those stats are massive improvements from the previous season. That was their 1st season there

They were 118th the year before they got there. Bumped to 91st. Then dropped again to 115th. That’s awful and he shouldn’t be considered.

It wasn’t until he was demoted in favor of Kittley, that they went from 115th to 2nd in the nation. If Ellis was good he’s the Oc this year and not a 27 year old first time OC in Arbuckle. Instead Ellis goes with Clay to GSU.

Bdawg
01-04-2023, 03:57 PM

EXACTLY!!!

Bdawg
01-04-2023, 04:01 PM

Maybe not to stay at AR but Sexton will not let us know that and will try to suck us up for every dollars before signing the dotted line. May be Sexton slow walking it just to squeeze a little more juice out of it. Like I said earlier, if KB wants out, we will get him. But Sexton will try to get the most for his man.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 04:11 PM
They were 118th the year before they got there. Bumped to 91st. Then dropped again to 115th. That’s awful and he shouldn’t be considered.

It wasn’t until he was demoted in favor of Kittley, that they went from 115th to 2nd in the nation. If Ellis was good he’s the Oc this year and not a 27 year old first time OC in Arbuckle. Instead Ellis goes with Clay to GSU.

I'll take your word for it. I just looked at teams that throw it heavy and looked up their OC.

StarkVegasSteve
01-04-2023, 04:11 PM
Maybe not to stay at AR but Sexton will not let us know that and will try to suck us up for every dollars before signing the dotted line. May be Sexton slow walking it just to squeeze a little more juice out of it. Like I said earlier, if KB wants out, we will get him. But Sexton will try to get the most for his man.

Which is what he is hired to do. Agents are hired to get the best possible contracts for their client. And make no mistake, Jimmy is one of the best to do it. He is in the same stratosphere as Boras, Rich Paul, Todd France, or Drew Rosenhaus

Jimmy is going to also make sure that his client is put in the best position to advance his career and if the rumblings out of Fayetteville are accurate then the best place for KB is Starkville

Bdawg
01-04-2023, 04:17 PM
Which is what he is hired to do. Agents are hired to get the best possible contracts for their client. And make no mistake, Jimmy is one of the best to do it. He is in the same stratosphere as Boras, Rich Paul, Todd France, or Drew Rosenhaus

Jimmy is going to also make sure that his client is put in the best position to advance his career and if the rumblings out of Fayetteville are accurate then the best place for KB is Starkville

No doubt. But Yjnk was saying he’s hoping Sexton was not trying to use us to get a raise for KB to stay at AR. I was just saying Sexton is using us to get KB the most possible(whether he stays or comes to MSU). But make no mistake, he is “using” us for his client.

CoachT14
01-04-2023, 04:26 PM
I'll take your word for it. I just looked at teams that throw it heavy and looked up their OC.

Sorry. Didn’t mean to come off ass-holish if I did. Lol.

I have just done some research on him in the past, cause I was like you curious. Since He’s in the AR system and all. Once I started looking into it, I was pretty shocked that he is still an OC somewhere. He’s one of the Helton brothers boys though I guess. He’s been with 1 or the other his whole career just about.

BuckyIsAB****
01-04-2023, 04:30 PM
I will be shocked if its Briles. I would have been shocked from moment I heard this rumor on here

CadaverDawg
01-04-2023, 04:34 PM
It's definitely starting to feel like it ain't Briles. Which will probably make our fans feel like we got schlossnagled....hopefully the results after are similar.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 04:35 PM
Sorry. Didn’t mean to come off ass-holish if I did. Lol.

I have just done some research on him in the past, cause I was like you curious. Since He’s in the AR system and all. Once I started looking into it, I was pretty shocked that he is still an OC somewhere. He’s one of the Helton brothers boys though I guess. He’s been with 1 or the other his whole career just about.
I'm always glad to get good info

RocketDawg
01-04-2023, 04:37 PM
Yep. Also, I like KJ but not $800K worth.

Does that $800K include out-of-state tuition, room, board, books (if needed), tutors, stipend and perhaps other expenses?

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 04:46 PM
Does that $800K include out-of-state tuition, room, board, books (if needed), tutors, stipend and perhaps other expenses?

No

BuckyIsAB****
01-04-2023, 04:52 PM
They are going to build the offense around our QB. If you dont like that take it up with Arnett. KJ aint coming. It looks like now we are going to need a QB from the portal to make it.

vindastra
01-04-2023, 04:54 PM

Bert == Cohen. Confirmed!!!

TrapGame
01-04-2023, 05:15 PM
Hearing Ross Dellinger gonna break some big MSU news around 5pm.

Cross your fingers.

Desoto1967
01-04-2023, 05:18 PM
Has Bentonville weighed in?

TheLostDawg
01-04-2023, 05:24 PM
Curious. When OC leave, is it like HC and they let their former players know before announcing?

SmokeyDawg
01-04-2023, 05:26 PM
They are going to build the offense around our QB. If you dont like that take it up with Arnett. KJ aint coming. It looks like now we are going to need a QB from the portal to make it.

Sounds like a recipe for failure. Why would any qb in the portal want to come to a school that has already determined it's starting qb for the next 2 years and that built their offense around that guy?

Tater
01-04-2023, 05:32 PM
Heard that a certain Sarah was shopping for a deeper shade of red fall clothing attire in Starkville today.

So add that to the pile of smoke.

CoachT14
01-04-2023, 05:32 PM
Sounds like a recipe for failure. Why would any qb in the portal want to come to a school that has already determined it's starting qb for the next 2 years and that built their offense around that guy?

Well we aren’t going to be running the same offense anymore. So it’s pretty much a moot point.

Turfdawg67
01-04-2023, 05:36 PM

Scholarship covers most of that.

TheLostDawg
01-04-2023, 05:39 PM

I wonder how many years Jack Abraham has left**

Leroy Jenkins
01-04-2023, 05:41 PM
I wonder how many years Jack Abraham has left** you mean until he can draw a pension?

Johnson85
01-04-2023, 05:42 PM
you mean until he can draw a pension?

Still can't believe left for Missouri when he only had two more years to vest in PERS.

SmokeyDawg
01-04-2023, 05:47 PM
Well we aren’t going to be running the same offense anymore. So it’s pretty much a moot point.

It doesn't matter what offense we run. You aren't going to get a serviceable transfer qb if they only expect to see pt due to injury.

Goldendawg
01-04-2023, 07:46 PM

I was told "If You Only Knew" is now at AU and if that is true, "I Am Really Happy"! Hail State!

RocketDawg
01-04-2023, 08:44 PM
Scholarship covers most of that.

Yeah, that was sort of my point. Just the scholarship is a pretty good deal. But I'm old school and don't like the idea of paying college players.

DesotoDog1967
01-04-2023, 08:56 PM
Hog Insider on Twitter saying he is staying home

https://twitter.com/HAWGInsider101/status/1610806370101608448?t=mZo8A8I9ufsrRHk9zYuDnQ&s=19

TrapGame
01-04-2023, 09:00 PM

https://twitter.com/HAWGInsider101/status/1610806370101608448?t=mZo8A8I9ufsrRHk9zYuDnQ&s=19

Posted 45 minutes ago yet no confirming Tweet from one of our insiders. Well, ain't that kinda strange?

ZedFedder
01-04-2023, 09:01 PM

That account has 51 followers.

Saltydog
01-04-2023, 09:04 PM

I think anyone that's being halfway realistic with themselves knew we weren't going to get KJ. Problem is we have some very unrealistic fans.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 09:05 PM

He started posting in December

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 09:10 PM
Hog Outsider on Twitter saying I have no clue what he will do.

Let me correct it

Coach34
01-04-2023, 09:11 PM
Im hearing we are hammering out details and unless some big snag happens- Briles will be our OC

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 09:11 PM
Im hearing we are hammering out details and unless some big snag happens- Briles will be our OC

I've heard exactly the same thing about an hour ago.

BeardoMSU
01-04-2023, 09:12 PM

Sweet.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-04-2023, 09:15 PM

Usually when these things drag out it ain't good for us. But if you and CC24 have insiders I feel pretty good

Poaching an SEC OC for the same position. Damn. Never thought I'd see us do it

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 09:17 PM
Usually when these things drag out it ain't good for us. But if you and CC24 have insiders I feel pretty good

Poaching an SEC OC for the same position. Damn. Never thought I'd see us do it

We're close. Let's hope nothing kinks it up. I'm never happy until ink is dry

mo7888
01-04-2023, 09:24 PM
Posted 45 minutes ago yet no confirming Tweet from one of our insiders. Well, ain't that kinda strange?

Troll account

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 09:27 PM
We're close. Let's hope nothing kinks it up. I'm never happy until ink is dry

Sexton working his negotiating magic to slow the process down probably, but hopefully no kinks.

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 09:30 PM
Sexton working his negotiating magic to slow the process down probably, but hopefully no kinks.

If the ink drys, from what I understand sexton has done good job for his client lol

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 09:33 PM
If the ink drys, from what I understand sexton has done good job for his client lol

And then some but it's the price to pay to poach from inside this league.

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 09:35 PM

IF Briles with offense and Zach with defense do what they're capable of doing we could have a special season. Gotta pay to play!

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 09:36 PM

He usually does what's best for his clients. Anybody should ask the OM athletic department if they want some viable and pertinent info concerning what a good job he does. :)

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 09:37 PM

Gotta love the fact Arnett ain't playing. He wants to win and win big. He's being aggressive

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 09:37 PM
He usually does what's best for his clients. Anybody should ask the OM athletic department if they want some viable and pertinent info concerning what a good job he does. :)

Absolutely. It's what he does and he's excellent at his job

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 09:38 PM
Gotta love the fact Arnett ain't playing. He wants to win and win big. He's being aggressive

I agree with that. Everybody he targeted, even guys down the list are good proven coordinators.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 09:51 PM

Yep he's playing hardball (when you are trying to get a sitting OC in the SEC West) and has his heart and work effort into trying to make our and his Mississippi State football program into what we all have wanted it to be. I hope it works out where David Turner can come back. Some don't want him back, but I don't understand that. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think I am.

Coach34
01-04-2023, 09:58 PM
Yep he's playing hardball (when you are trying to get a sitting OC in the SEC West) and has his heart and work effort into trying to make our and his Mississippi State football program into what we all have wanted it to be. I hope it works out where David Turner can come back. Some don't want him back, but I don't understand that. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think I am.

Turner is a good DL coach and has been in the SEC for the last 20 years. If Arnett wants him- bring him in. If Arnett has somebody else he wants in mind- so be it.

BeardoMSU
01-04-2023, 09:58 PM

F'n A.

TrapGame
01-04-2023, 10:06 PM
Yep, Arnett ain't effing around.

William Tecumsah Sherman
01-04-2023, 10:06 PM
Hire Briles. Hire Turner. And let?s kick ass next year. I?m fired up!

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 10:08 PM
Y'all keep everything you got crossed that this all works out. Could be a great new era starting in State football.

sandjunky
01-04-2023, 10:16 PM
Y'all keep everything you got crossed that this all works out. Could be a great new era starting in State football.

True that - gotta know there?s still time to MState this up

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 10:17 PM
True that - gotta know there?s still time to MState this up

Unfortunately there's always time until
that ink is dry lol

Coach34
01-04-2023, 10:22 PM
yep- get that damn thing signed

HoopsDawg
01-04-2023, 10:23 PM
Hire Briles. Hire Turner. And let?s kick ass next year. I?m fired up!

Hellavu staff

CadaverDawg
01-04-2023, 10:24 PM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/f4CPwiC88J1RdFo8Q4/giphy.gif

BeardoMSU
01-04-2023, 10:29 PM

https://y.yarn.co/fbaf20d2-0057-42a5-a59d-cb4d04187049_text.gif

CadaverDawg
01-04-2023, 10:33 PM
This right here fires me up. So happy for Rod Gibson, he truly loves working with Peterson and vice versa. Pumped to have these guys AND Bumphis on the trail together bringing home these Mississippi boys.

https://i.imgflip.com/76e6ws.jpg

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 10:35 PM
This right here fires me up. So happy for Rod Gibson, he truly loves working with Peterson and vice versa. Pumped to have these guys AND Bumphis on the trail together bringing home these Mississippi boys.

https://i.imgflip.com/76e6ws.jpg

Great stuff!

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 10:42 PM
I was told "If You Only Knew" is now at AU and if that is true, "I Am Really Happy"! Hail State!

Yeah and I know for a fact IYOK is not Bert. Maybe Bert can go over there and get some better prediction football knowledge from IYOK.

lastmajordog
01-04-2023, 10:52 PM
Brad Peterson did a true miracle job in his early tenure at newton and forest. A true players coach with a offensive mind and a talent for inspiring players and pulling in great assistant coaches. I can’t help but believe this is one of the best moves the “DOGS” have done in a long time. Congrats Coach Brad, long overdue IMO.

DeviousDawg
01-04-2023, 11:01 PM
yep- get that damn thing signed

Hey buddy, the pen is foreplaying with the paper tonight, maybe even playing just the tip.

AlSwearengen
01-04-2023, 11:11 PM
Why did Peterson leave?

BeardoMSU
01-04-2023, 11:15 PM
Hey buddy, the pen is foreplaying with the paper tonight, maybe even playing just the tip.

Just for a second...just to see what it's like**

DeviousDawg
01-04-2023, 11:21 PM
Just for a second...just to see what it's like**

Curiosity killed the cat's innocence?

Coach34
01-04-2023, 11:21 PM

My man- how you been?

PikeDawg15
01-04-2023, 11:24 PM
So does anyone in the know think it?s going to happen tommorow ?

tireddawg
01-04-2023, 11:39 PM
I?ve heard he?s staying at Ark earlier today, but more recently I?ve heard he?s accepted, & even more recently he?s signed & will announce tmrw. So I don?t know. Looks like it?s been a tough decision for him, but money talks. So does autonomy.

Goldendawg
01-04-2023, 11:44 PM
Bulldog Friend of mine said he saw a picture of him at Arky basketball game sitting on the same row as Pittman. Hope Pittman was so teed off he wouldn't sit directly beside him!**

PikeDawg15
01-04-2023, 11:46 PM
Arkansas 247 board as of now thinks he?s staying

I?ve been nosing around on his Twitter and will rogers followed him today but then within the last hour has unfollowed him again.

Yikes

trojandawg
01-05-2023, 12:15 AM
Was Briles at the memorial a few weeks ago? I'm wondering if he reached out to arnett afterwards

Anonymous
01-05-2023, 01:25 AM
Bulldog Friend of mine said he saw a picture of him at Arky basketball game sitting on the same row as Pittman. Hope Pittman was so teed off he wouldn't sit directly beside him!**

He takes up 3 seats, you can?t sit directly beside him.

Bothrops
01-05-2023, 01:53 AM
I wouldn't be surprised with either decision. We ought to know in the morning.

msstate7
01-05-2023, 07:01 AM
Ark made it through the day without losing him. I say he's staying. Hope we have a good fall back plan

viverlibre
01-05-2023, 07:25 AM
I can't believe how many of our fans fell for this. This was an obvious ruse to get a raise at Ark. Sure he showed interest with us and likely had in depth conversations with Zach, but his Agent is Jimmy Sexton, who plays cribbage while everyone else plays go fish.

PGHBulldogBG
01-05-2023, 07:44 AM
I can't believe how many of our fans fell for this. This was an obvious ruse to get a raise at Ark. Sure he showed interest with us and likely had in depth conversations with Zach, but his Agent is Jimmy Sexton, who plays cribbage while everyone else plays go fish.

We definitely have a very gullible fanbase. I never believed this for a minute. Why would an OC leave a traditional better program for the same position.

viverlibre
01-05-2023, 07:49 AM
We definitely have a very gullible fanbase. I never believed this for a minute. Why would an OC leave a traditional better program for the same position.

And can easily match and exceed any salary we can offer.

A shrewd AD (non Cohen) may have been able to sniff this out, but Zach likely was a rube in this situation.

ZedFedder
01-05-2023, 08:01 AM
You guys may be right, but it would be pretty hilarious if he comes haha.

msstate7
01-05-2023, 08:07 AM
You guys may be right, but it would be pretty hilarious if he comes haha.

It would great. He's outstanding. I just think once smoke comes out in situations like this that if it doesn't happen quickly, it doesn't happen.

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 08:08 AM

A shrewd AD (non Cohen) may have been able to sniff this out, but Zach likely was a rube in this situation.

Zach is no rube and neither is his agent. Whether we end up with Briles or not, you absolutely have to go as far down as this path as you can to hire someone of this caliber if possible. We have reached out to multiple great coordinators which is exactly what he should do and what the vast majority of our fan base has complained about in the past. We complain about hiring what is perceived as average or easy or just promoting from within because it's easy. We complain about that and we complain about swinging outside of our norm...my word. Oh and if we eliminate coaches whose agent is Sexton, you just shrink your pool considerably. Jimbo just got swerved by who he thought he was going to hire and had to circle back to Petrino who had withdrawn his name and accepted UNLV's job.

Msujd164
01-05-2023, 08:12 AM
Definitely not as optimistic as yesterday. If he is not announced today/this morning , then I believe he is starying at Arky. He would need to be in town working tomorrow if he is coming.

msudawglb
01-05-2023, 08:17 AM
I wore my maroon into work today....expecting good news! Please don't let me down.

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 08:46 AM

Sorry, but calling Zack a rube is just not right. Going out and hiring a top OC from an SEC west school is not easy and would require tough negotiations. Either we come to an agreement or we don?t. It doesn?t make someone a rube. I mean would you rather him not try??? I just hope we get a win in these type situations for once!!! It?s probably going to come down to how bad KB wants out.

ZedFedder
01-05-2023, 08:50 AM
It would great. He's outstanding. I just think once smoke comes out in situations like this that if it doesn't happen quickly, it doesn't happen.

Agreed. If the report isn't out by lunch, he isn't coming.

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 08:56 AM

People can be unhappy with their situation. He may be unhappy or not. If we are in negotiations, he must have some type of interest. And it’s definitely been long enough for AR to counter and he accept their offer and end this. So there may be some tough negotiations going on and he’s weighing it all out. But you know it’s always going to be tough with Sexton.

Todd4State
01-05-2023, 09:00 AM
People can be unhappy with their situation. He may be unhappy or not. If we are in negotiations, he must have some type of interest. And it’s definitely been long enough for AR to counter and he accept their offer and end this. So there may be some tough negotiations going on and he’s weighing it all out. But you know it’s always going to be tough with Sexton.

Now that I have done a little more research I would imagine he would want at least the 1.8 million that they paid Odom last year. Probably more. So we're probably looking at at least 2 million. Unless he just wants out of there.

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 09:00 AM
Agreed. If the report isn't out by lunch, he isn't coming.

I could probably see this. It’s been long enough to hammer this out. We sure haven’t heard any other names since KB name came up though

viverlibre
01-05-2023, 09:01 AM
Sorry, but calling Zack a rube is just not right. Going out and hiring a top OC from an SEC west school is not easy and would require tough negotiations. Either we come to an agreement or we don?t. It doesn?t make someone a rube. I mean would you rather him not try??? I just hope we get a win in these type situations for once!!! It?s probably going to come down to how bad KB wants out.

I'm not implying he is a rube, but likely used by Sexton as a rube in this situation. If you are publicly going after someone far out of your league, (as Uncle Jr told Tony) you better come heavy. Make a huge offer give him until the end of the day. Have several backups ready - you have to go into this knowing the odds are greatly against you. Jimmy Sexton plays Baccarat when everyone else is pulling the handle on a slot machine.

EdwardDrayton
01-05-2023, 09:02 AM
This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains. Think about that for a while.

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 09:06 AM
Now that I have done a little more research I would imagine he would want at least the 1.8 million that they paid Odom last year. Probably more. So we're probably looking at at least 2 million. Unless he just wants out of there.

I don’t know what the man is worth, but I’m ready for us to step up and make a big boy move. Even if we are at 2 mil., Annett and KB together wouldn’t equal Leach(5.5mil right?). And we may be cheaper as whole between KB, ZA, and MB than we were with Leach and ZA.

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 09:07 AM
I'm not implying he is a rube, but likely used by Sexton as a rube in this situation. If you are publicly going after someone far out of your league, (as Uncle Jr told Tony) you better come heavy. Make a huge offer give him until the end of the day. Have several backups ready - you have to go into this knowing the odds are greatly against you. Jimmy Sexton plays Baccarat when everyone else is pulling the handle on a slot machine.

I understand that and laid out that out yesterday, you have to give a strong offer. I probably give more lead way in time IF there's communication through the night. But today is the day one way or another and I make that clear. We do have backup plans which from what I understand are still good options. ZA is a very sharp guy. Not just with X's and O's. He may end up with someone down his list but he definitely has a well planned list of targets.

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 09:12 AM

Well in this situation, Sexton is the one who has all the leverage. It’s a lateral move and both sides have enough money to pay really well. Sexton is just sitting on the fence listening to what both sides will offer. I could probably negotiate this deal and have a good outcome for KB. It could be just boiling down to assistant coaches KB wants or other demands like that. And if he really wants out.

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 09:15 AM
I understand that and laid out that out yesterday, you have to give a strong offer. I probably give more lead way in time IF there's communication through the night. But today is the day one way or another and I make that clear. We do have backup plans which from what I understand are still good options. ZA is a very sharp guy. Not just with X's and O's. He may end up with someone down his list but he definitely has a well planned list of targets.

Got any other names? I’ve been anxious to hear of others

PMDawg
01-05-2023, 09:18 AM

No man, don't you know? Random internet dudes posting from their Mom's basement are always smarter, more knowledgeable, and better at being college football head coaches than, you know, actual college football head coaches who make millions to do a good job. Zach is totally a rube. But viverlibre? GENIUS! Just ignore the fact that he doesn't even know that Briles spells his name with an "i", not a "y".

Really Clark?
01-05-2023, 09:22 AM

There's one I'll have to sit on because no sense leaking out a name if we do end up with Briles. I understand we will circle back to Littrell for one and Johns at Duke are 2.

Johnson85
01-05-2023, 10:21 AM
I don’t know what the man is worth, but I’m ready for us to step up and make a big boy move. Even if we are at 2 mil., Annett and KB together wouldn’t equal Leach(5.5mil right?). And we may be cheaper as whole between KB, ZA, and MB than we were with Leach and ZA.

I'm not disagreeing per se, but people need to remember that Arnett won't be at $3M for long if he's successful. He's going to get extended at the end of the next year. Pretty much guaranteed for recruiting purposes. If he has a good year, he's probably going to get moved up to $3.5M minimum. If he has a solid year after that in what should be a rebuilding year, he will have a lot of leverage at that point to ask for and get the SEC average. Now, Briles very may well be gone to a head coaching gig in two years, so it's not like you're committed to paying a top 1% coordinator salary forever, but you also don't want to plan as if you will have a discount on your head coach forever.

mstatefan91
01-05-2023, 10:26 AM
I'm not disagreeing per se, but people need to remember that Arnett won't be at $3M for long if he's successful. He's going to get extended at the end of the next year. Pretty much guaranteed for recruiting purposes. If he has a good year, he's probably going to get moved up to $3.5M minimum. If he has a solid year after that in what should be a rebuilding year, he will have a lot of leverage at that point to ask for and get the SEC average. Now, Briles very may well be gone to a head coaching gig in two years, so it's not like you're committed to paying a top 1% coordinator salary forever, but you also don't want to plan as if you will have a discount on your head coach forever.

I'll let the bean counters worry about the bean counting. If we say we can support what he's asking for financially, offer it and live with it. If not, don't offer it.

viverlibre
01-05-2023, 11:01 AM
No man, don't you know? Random internet dudes posting from their Mom's basement are always smarter, more knowledgeable, and better at being college football head coaches than, you know, actual college football head coaches who make millions to do a good job. Zach is totally a rube. But viverlibre? GENIUS! Just ignore the fact that he doesn't even know that Briles spells his name with an "i", not a "y".

You realize I'm in a "no lose" situation? If the long shot comes home and we hire KB, I'll just reply, 'I'm glad I was wrong."

I'm just trying to set expectations, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles could see this wasn't going to happen. If we offer $2 mil, Ark can offer $2.5, it we offer $2.5, Ark can offer $3, there is no way we are offering $3 (and likely not $2.5 either).

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 11:21 AM

Well I say if he is successful, it’s money well spent. We were willing to offer Mullen 7mil, so we may have room to spare. Success brings in more money. So just win baby and it will take care of itself. We are not poor.

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 11:29 AM
You realize I'm in a "no lose" situation? If the long shot comes home and we hire KB, I'll just reply, 'I'm glad I was wrong."

I'm just trying to set expectations, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles could see this wasn't going to happen. If we offer $2 mil, Ark can offer $2.5, it we offer $2.5, Ark can offer $3, there is no way we are offering $3 (and likely not $2.5 either).

It’s going to depend if he wants out. You are not taking that into account. If he sees a sinking ship, he may bail. If he’s unhappy, he may bail. All we know is we are in negotiations, so there is some interest. KB could have ended this. I’m sure AR has countered by now and he could have made a decision. We may have to put an ultimatum on KB to sh*t or get off the pot, too. Sexton will keep playing sides till he gets top dollars. But like I said, money may not be the end all be all if KB looking to get out.

TheLostDawg
01-05-2023, 12:03 PM

Return on investment. Winning pays

Also we can use the rest of the money this year to get Jefferson***

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-05-2023, 12:08 PM
Return on investment. Winning pays

Also we can use the rest of the money this year to get Jefferson***

TV contracts are just going to get more valuable. May as well invest now and reap the rewards.

Msujd164
01-05-2023, 12:09 PM
I kinda thought yesterday if it wasn?t done by noon today, then he will not be the OC. I look for plan A or B to move quickly now and hear something this evening.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 12:11 PM

Shannon Dawson is a name I've heard a little bit here and there throughout the search. I imagine his name will pick up steam. Kevin Johns will probably be a hot name as well. Littrell is a pipe dream. Kittley has no intention of leaving TTU and I doubt Garrett Riley would bolt after a year and TCU can outspend us by miles.

Those are just the names off the top of my head at the moment. I know Jake Peetz turned down Matt Rhule but you may want to at least gauge his interest. The problem is that any hire not named Kendall Briles is going to be a let down and rightfully so because he will have turned us down. There's no rumors about it, he was offered the position and has an offer, if he is not the hire then the next guy will always be the second choice. If it ever got past Kevin Johns then you could always just give it to Chris Hatcher.

Tough Dawg
01-05-2023, 12:14 PM
I think the Briles shipped has sailed. Sexton strikes again!

mstatefan91
01-05-2023, 12:16 PM
I think the Briles shipped has sailed. Sexton strikes again!

Ya'll kill me with this.. Patience

Dawgface
01-05-2023, 12:18 PM
Shannon Dawson is a name I've heard a little bit here and there throughout the search. I imagine his name will pick up steam. Kevin Johns will probably be a hot name as well. Littrell is a pipe dream. Kittley has no intention of leaving TTU and I doubt Garrett Riley would bolt after a year and TCU can outspend us by miles.

Those are just the names off the top of my head at the moment. I know Jake Peetz turned down Matt Rhule but you may want to at least gauge his interest. The problem is that any hire not named Kendall Briles is going to be a let down and rightfully so because he will have turned us down. There's no rumors about it, he was offered the position and has an offer, if he is not the hire then the next guy will always be the second choice. If it ever got past Kevin Johns then you could always just give it to Chris Hatcher.

What about Chris Hatcher? His name was mentioned early on. Or is he like a plan D type?

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 12:34 PM
What about Chris Hatcher? His name was mentioned early on. Or is he like a plan D type?

Plan F. Right above bringing Spurrier back.

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 12:39 PM

All of this is pretty much it in a nutshell. Briles was no rumor, he was offered and we are/were close. See how it ends.

Dawgface
01-05-2023, 12:40 PM

OK....hopefully we don't drop further than B.

msudawglb
01-05-2023, 12:40 PM

and right after bring Spurrier back, is hiring me (flag football offensive coordinator 2005-2008) at Plan H. They are calling it Preparation H.

Tough Dawg
01-05-2023, 12:47 PM
I have none! Let?s go already.

Dawgology
01-05-2023, 12:51 PM
and right after bring Spurrier back, is hiring me (flag football offensive coordinator 2005-2008) at Plan H. They are calling it Preparation H.

I swear I would take the job for half what they offered Briles haha

dawggoneit
01-05-2023, 12:56 PM
I'll take the job for 1mil a year. I will guarantee a national championship by year three or I'll walk away with no hard feelings!

Dawgology
01-05-2023, 12:58 PM
I?ve noticed in a lot of these coaching search situations the first name out there is the one they typically hire and into the search bigger names will get thrown out as agents negotiate pay raises. But it typically comes back to the first name.

TheLostDawg
01-05-2023, 01:08 PM
I?ve noticed in a lot of these coaching search situations the first name out there is the one they typically hire and into the search bigger names will get thrown out as agents negotiate pay raises. But it typically comes back to the first name.

You must not have followed any of ours the past few years

Bothrops
01-05-2023, 01:32 PM

Hell man every program is traditionally better than ours, even if we had better teams. Doesn't mean Jack shit.