PDA

View Full Version : Locke enters portal

BlackSailsDawg
01-03-2023, 07:42 PM
So it begins.

When you sign up for Air Raid and the move appears to be transition from it, this will happen

State82
01-03-2023, 07:44 PM
Yeah this surprised nobody.

PikeDawg15
01-03-2023, 07:45 PM
Making room for KJ Jefferson

Coach34
01-03-2023, 07:45 PM
We knew QB's were leaving...no surprise here

Dawgology
01-03-2023, 07:47 PM
I would t be surprised if we didn’t lose 1 or 2 more

confucius say
01-03-2023, 07:55 PM
I would t be surprised if we didn’t lose 1 or 2 more

I would be surprised if Robertson stayed

BlackSailsDawg
01-03-2023, 07:56 PM
I would be surprised if Robertson stayed

Yep. We are about to self inflict massive issues

Bothrops
01-03-2023, 07:59 PM
We're gonna have to get a qb in the portal now. And not just a body.

BeardoMSU
01-03-2023, 08:00 PM

Self inflict?

Really Clark?
01-03-2023, 08:02 PM
Haven't we've been talking all fall even with Leach we were going to lose QB's. This seems like what was already discussed.

Goldendawg
01-03-2023, 08:08 PM
Recent news of the most talented QB room in our history seems to have been greatly exaggerated as none could seem to even challenge Will with his issues.

R2Dawg
01-03-2023, 08:11 PM

Dude give it a rest. CZA is 1-0 and you already putting him under. Get over it.

We gonna be fine.

R2Dawg
01-03-2023, 08:12 PM
Recent news of the most talented QB room in our history seems to have been greatly exaggerated as none could seem to even challenge Will with his issues.

Bingo

CadaverDawg
01-03-2023, 08:12 PM

Yeah we should have hired Spurrier Jr to keep a QB that has proven nothing at the college level. Sigh.

Next man up

Homedawg
01-03-2023, 08:14 PM

Hahaha. Kj isn't going to come here.

Bothrops
01-03-2023, 08:15 PM
Haven't we've been talking all fall even with Leach we were going to lose QB's. This seems like what was already discussed.

We're down to Will and an incoming true freshman that's probably 2 years away. This situation is not the same now that it's post Air Raid and Will's job is likely no longer secure. Big big unknowns have entered the fray.

basedog
01-03-2023, 08:15 PM
I have heard that Locke looked the best when they scrimmaged on Thursday. Hate to hear this

Homedawg
01-03-2023, 08:16 PM
Yeah we should have hired Spurrier Jr to keep a QB that has proven nothing at the college level. Sigh.

Next man up

Sarcasm I get.... it's a definite no.

confucius say
01-03-2023, 08:18 PM

We gonna be fine.

It's the miss state fan's way. We wanted Dan gone and leach gone too.

Really Clark?
01-03-2023, 08:18 PM
We're down to Will and an incoming true freshman that's probably 2 years away. This situation is not the same now that's its post Air Raid and Will's job is likely no longer secure. Big big unknowns have entered the fray.

I understand that but it not a surprise either. It's been talked about we were losing at least 1 and most likely 2 QB's before the season was even over.

Cooterpoot
01-03-2023, 08:20 PM

We arent talking about your mom and her dildo.

Anonymous
01-03-2023, 08:22 PM

Gross.

William Tecumsah Sherman
01-03-2023, 08:23 PM
This happens to every team every season under the new rules

BorneDawg
01-03-2023, 08:27 PM

We gonna be fine.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Goldendawg again.

Bothrops
01-03-2023, 08:30 PM
I understand that but it not a surprise either. It's been talked about we were losing at least 1 and most likely 2 QB's before the season was even over.

Gonna have to portal up, unless the new system can roll with Will Rogers and 5-12 yard passes and eat up clock. I figure we've probably seen the last of that.

Goldendawg
01-03-2023, 08:31 PM
Greek landed with the Tarleton State Texans when he left us. Will be interesting to see Locke's landing spot.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2023, 08:32 PM
Good grief people, get used to this every year. It's free agency now. I believe we'll survive.

KOdawg1
01-03-2023, 08:34 PM
The kid has a 3 year starter and a high 4 star in front of him on the depth chart and another 4 star joining the room in a few weeks.

It makes sense that someone would leave.

msu15
01-03-2023, 08:35 PM
We're down to Will and an incoming true freshman that's probably 2 years away. This situation is not the same now that it's post Air Raid and Will's job is likely no longer secure. Big big unknowns have entered the fray.

Robertson is still here

trojandawg
01-03-2023, 08:36 PM
This happens every time you have multiple qbs in one room. This happened under Mullen too. It happened under Moorhead. Qbs leave when they know they aren't starting any time soon.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2023, 08:36 PM
The kid has a 3 year starter and a high 4 star in front of him on the depth chart and another 4 star joining the room in a few weeks.

It makes sense that someone would leave.

It's gonna happen every year. New era.

Homedawg
01-03-2023, 08:49 PM
Gonna have to portal up, unless the new system can roll with Will Rogers and 5-12 yard passes and eat up clock. I figure we've probably seen the last of that.

Will Rogers is going to be the starter next year.... is what it is

Tough Dawg
01-03-2023, 08:55 PM
We?ll be limited on offense then. Which is a crying shame with what we have coming back.

Homedawg
01-03-2023, 09:06 PM
We?ll be limited on offense then. Which is a crying shame with what we have coming back.

Who is going to transfer in w a 3 years starter?? Oklahoma state guy?? Who?? We supposed to kick Will to the curb hoping we get someone better?? That would be crazy.

Todd4State
01-03-2023, 09:12 PM
Who is going to transfer in w a 3 years starter?? Oklahoma state guy?? Who?? We supposed to kick Will to the curb hoping we get someone better?? That would be crazy.

Better chance that Will leaves us than us leave him. I'm not sure I would blame him honestly.

Bothrops
01-03-2023, 09:14 PM
Will Rogers is going to be the starter next year.... is what it is

He could, unless we can get someone the new OC likes more. It's gonna be his call.

Coach34
01-03-2023, 09:14 PM

Depends on the new OC and his contacts. Briles 100% puts Jefferson in play or one of their back-ups. There is alot left to play out at this point. If we are stuck with Rogers- then you have to bring in pieces to upgrade the running game. Lots of moving parts

Coach34
01-03-2023, 09:16 PM
Better chance that Will leaves us than us leave him. I'm not sure I would blame him honestly.

Western Kentucky, Texas-San Antonio, or South Alabama would be thrilled if that happened

CoachT14
01-03-2023, 09:19 PM
Western Kentucky, Texas-San Antonio, or South Alabama would be thrilled if that happened

WKU got Reed back didn’t they?

Will ain’t starting over him lol.

Coach34
01-03-2023, 09:24 PM
WKU got Reed back didn’t they?

Will ain’t starting over him lol.

I was just listing places Rogers could possibly start. Not many P5 schools would bring him in

CoachT14
01-03-2023, 09:28 PM
I was just listing places Rogers could possibly start. Not many P5 schools would bring him in

I know. He will end at a G5 school. Most likely in the Air Raid cause he won’t be successful running any other offense except maybe an extreme pro style with some play action candy.

Coach34
01-03-2023, 09:31 PM

Funny nobody wonders why we arent having to work hard to keep Rogers at State. The only schools trying to NIL Rogers away are Jacksonville State, Alcorn, Southern U in Baton Rouge, and Millsaps

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2023, 09:35 PM
Funny nobody wonders why we arent having to work hard to keep Rogers at State. The only schools trying to NIL Rogers away are Jacksonville State, Alcorn, Southern U in Baton Rouge, and Millsaps

You have absolutely 0 clue what you are talking about. Quit while you are ahead. I would hate to see your reputation ruined over a subject you have no business or idea about

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2023, 09:36 PM
I know. He will end at a G5 school. Most likely in the Air Raid cause he won’t be successful running any other offense except maybe an extreme pro style with some play action candy.

Ran more RPOs than any other QB we have ever had. Just hasnt been asked to do it here.

KOdawg1
01-03-2023, 09:40 PM
Oh boy, here we go

Goldendawg
01-03-2023, 09:41 PM

NM.

Coach34
01-03-2023, 09:45 PM
You have absolutely 0 clue what you are talking about. Quit while you are ahead. I would hate to see your reputation ruined over a subject you have no business or idea about

ok Bucky. If Briles takes the job in the morning- I'll be shocked if Rogers is our QB next year. But it wont be the 1st time I've been shocked. What would be shocking is Rogers landing at any school that's a P5

BankerDog
01-03-2023, 09:54 PM
Leach recruited Will while at WSU. We had little interest in him until we hired Leach. He was Coach's boy. The true Leach offense only he could run with Will is now gone. Tough, but true. Hail State!

You realize he committed to Morehead, right?

Goldendawg
01-03-2023, 09:57 PM

No, my bad I stand corrected and deserve to be.

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2023, 10:36 PM

Thank you

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2023, 10:38 PM
ok Bucky. If Briles takes the job in the morning- I'll be shocked if Rogers is our QB next year. But it wont be the 1st time I've been shocked. What would be shocking is Rogers landing at any school that's a P5

Thank you for not talking out of your ass on this. He would work with Briles. Arnett and Will are close. It would take some serious friction for him to leave. If someone beats him out that is fine, they will have earned it. Best player should play.

Coach34
01-03-2023, 10:43 PM
Thank you for not talking out of your ass on this. He would work with Briles. Arnett and Will are close. It would take some serious friction for him to leave. If someone beats him out that is fine, they will have earned it. Best player should play.

agree 100%

Homedawg
01-03-2023, 10:44 PM
Will isn't going anywhere

Homedawg
01-03-2023, 10:46 PM
Depends on the new OC and his contacts. Briles 100% puts Jefferson in play or one of their back-ups. There is alot left to play out at this point. If we are stuck with Rogers- then you have to bring in pieces to upgrade the running game. Lots of moving parts

Rogers isn't leaving. Again....

yjnkdawg
01-03-2023, 10:59 PM

Some on here apparently don't seem to think Will can run a Briles offense. Sometimes it's nice for somebody to get a nice shock and surprise.

Todd4State
01-04-2023, 03:36 AM
Will isn't going anywhere

Exactly.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 07:02 AM
No idea how will fits into briles' offense; but I do know briles has been an OC at 4 different schools, and at each stop he's had at least 100 qb rush attempts.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 07:42 AM
No idea how will fits into briles' offense; but I do know briles has been an OC at 4 different schools, and at each stop he's had at least 100 qb rush attempts.

I mean Will has scrambled into 50 rushes this year and 65 last year, a couple of designed runs might be a relief. Haha.

Not sure if you looked at FSU correctly. He didn't with Blackmon who was the starter at FSU. He only had 68 runs including scrambles for 41 yards. He was not asking Blackmon to anything more than flash it a couple times a game. With Travis he came in late in the year for the last 4 games to run it some but it was just a few times until he got 11 carry's in the bowl game.

Franks had a little over 100 but a bunch of those were scrambles and he only had 205 yards rushing for the season at 1.94 per yard average. It was just enough to keep a defense honest.

That's the adjustment part, if we bring in a running QB to run those plays during a game while Will still takes the bulk of the snaps or some wildcat zone read. I know he has the veer option RPO's that can take the pressure off Will having to run a pure zone read.

BiscuitEater
01-04-2023, 09:15 AM

What's changed .. besides losing ML?

BiscuitEater
01-04-2023, 09:16 AM
I mean Will has scrambled into 50 rushes this year and 65 last year, a couple of designed runs might be a relief. Haha.

Not sure if you looked at FSU correctly. He didn't with Blackmon who was the starter at FSU. He only had 68 runs including scrambles for 41 yards. He was not asking Blackmon to anything more than flash it a couple times a game. With Travis he came in late in the year for the last 4 games to run it some but it was just a few times until he got 11 carry's in the bowl game.

Franks had a little over 100 but a bunch of those were scrambles and he only had 205 yards rushing for the season at 1.94 per yard average. It was just enough to keep a defense honest.

That's the adjustment part, if we bring in a running QB to run those plays during a game while Will still takes the bulk of the snaps or some wildcat zone read. I know he has the veer option RPO's that can take the pressure off Will having to run a pure zone read.

How many yards did each lose on sacks?

BiscuitEater
01-04-2023, 09:28 AM

How many of the 50/65 were sacks? They count as rushes.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 09:32 AM
How many yards did each lose on sacks?

I don't know but it was a good bit. Blackman at FSU took a good number of sacks.

ETA. We allowed 26 sacks this year and 30 last year

TorpedoIPA
01-04-2023, 12:10 PM
I don't know but it was a good bit. Blackman at FSU took a good number of sacks.

ETA. We allowed 26 sacks this year and 30 last year

Leach said many times that the OL is the most important position group on the team. I think he had us going in the right direction with the guys he had in the pipeline.

Interesting that Leach faced Art Briles at Baylor twice in 2008 and 2009. His Air Raid beat the the Veer and Shoot both times. In 2008, Leach's offense rushed for 56 yards vs 229 yards for Baylor. In 2009, it was more even at about 100 yards a piece.

I wish Leach would have had more time to get it going at MSU. I would also have liked to have seen what Braden Locke could have done in the offense.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 12:17 PM
Leach said many times that the OL is the most important position group on the team. I think he had us going in the right direction with the guys he had in the pipeline.

Interesting that Leach faced Art Briles at Baylor twice in 2008 and 2009. His Air Raid beat the the Veer and Shoot both times. In 2008, Leach's offense rushed for 56 yards vs 229 yards for Baylor. In 2009, it was more even at about 100 yards a piece.

I wish Leach would have had more time to get it going at MSU. I would also have liked to have seen what Braden Locke could have done in the offense.

He did.

To be fair those 2008 and 2009 games were Briles first 2 years at Baylor (4-8 each year) and they hadn't had a winning season in 12 years prior. Mike had 8 years at TT.

BankerDog
01-04-2023, 01:54 PM
Robertson enters portal too. So we have lost 3 QBs. Two of which were recruited by Hollingshead. Hope Parson doesn?t decide to get out of His NLI since Hollingshead was his lead recruiter.

This is what I was afraid of losing Hollingshead. You have a guy who is a top 35 under 35 and is highly thought of as a up and comer but hey we got the Mississippi State kid back who has never been put on one of these list before.

HancockCountyDog
01-04-2023, 02:02 PM
Robertson enters portal too. So we have lost 3 QBs. Two of which were recruited by Hollingshead. Hope Parson doesn?t decide to get out of His NLI since Hollingshead was his lead recruiter.

This is what I was afraid of losing Hollingshead. You have a guy who is a top 35 under 35 and is highly thought of as a up and comer but hey we got the Mississippi State kid back who has never been put on one of these list before.

i wish we could land a portal QB with 4 years of eligibility even if it is just to have a body at this point.

I was making fun of the bears for not having a backup QB, and now we are close to having a HS kid as our primary backup. Probably the new reality, but it would be nice to land someone for depth.

msstate7
01-04-2023, 02:05 PM
Once you have an established qb, you won't keep players after freshman year. Good news is there are crap loads of players doing this at every school, so we can find depth

EdwardDrayton
01-04-2023, 03:51 PM

BINGO

BuckyIsAB****
01-04-2023, 04:49 PM
BINGO

Or maybe the guy we have is pretty good? Despite what these slapdicks think?

Thick
01-04-2023, 07:42 PM
Or maybe the guy we have is pretty good? Despite what these slapdicks think?

Or maybe he?s just another average at best qb that can throw 10 yard or less slants, curls, check down to rbs, and has lead for feet!

BuckyIsAB****
01-04-2023, 08:11 PM
Or maybe he?s just another average at best qb that can throw 10 yard or less slants, curls, check down to rbs, and has lead for feet!

Idk lets check his record and stats and find out. Especially compared to our list of QBs in our history

Tater
01-05-2023, 12:44 AM
Idk lets check his record and stats and find out. Especially compared to our list of QBs in our history

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl and Dan Marino didn't.