PDA

View Full Version : Why the State OC job may be enticing to Briles

Coach34
01-03-2023, 05:35 PM
Defensive head coaches usually leave you the **** alone to do your job. Defensive head coaches have teams that are usually good on D, which makes the OC's job easier.

I know as an OC that when I've worked for defensive coaches- they rarely say anything. Offensive guys always want to interject with a play call or something.

Pittman may be great to work for- but he is an offensive guy and I'm betting he interjects at times. Leach left Arnett alone and let him do his job. I'm willing to bet Arnett learned from that and is using that philosophy beginning his head coaching career.

As an OC- that has to be very enticing to Briles. Head up the offense like he wants and roll. Knows his HC will handle the D and provide a solid defense year in and year out. UPig was a TD worse per game on D in 2022 from 2021. Other good programs with defensive coaches:

Saban- D
Kirby- D
Whittingham- D
Klieman- D
Notre Dame- D

MoreCowbell
01-03-2023, 05:38 PM
Defensive head coaches usually leave you the **** alone to do your job. Defensive head coaches have teams that are usually good on D, which makes the OC's job easier.

I know as an OC that when I've worked for defensive coaches- they rarely say anything. Offensive guys always want to interject with a play call or something.

Pittman may be great to work for- but he is an offensive guy and I'm betting he interjects at times. Leach left Arnett alone and let him do his job. I'm willing to bet Arnett learned from that and is using that philosophy beginning his head coaching career.

As an OC- that has to be very enticing to Briles. Head up the offense like he wants and roll. Knows his HC will handle the D and provide a solid defense year in and year out. UPig was a TD worse per game on D in 2022 from 2021. Other good programs with defensive coaches:

Saban- D
Kirby- D
Whittingham- D
Klieman- D
Notre Dame- D

Yeah the Pittman regime is a sinking ship too. Say what you want but State is set up perfectly for a good OC/DC to come in , kick ass, and get a head coaching job somewhere. Have experience all over the field coming back

PikeDawg15
01-03-2023, 05:38 PM
Also can we move the briles talk to this thread. I?m really tired of going through 20 different pages to type something on my phone.

I fully support the briles hire but I?m not sure if it isn?t sexton trying to get him a raise at arky

If we land him it?s a home run and if he brings KJ or another awesome portal qb it?s a grand slam

vindastra
01-03-2023, 05:51 PM
Bert is suspiciously missing.

Leroy Jenkins
01-03-2023, 05:51 PM

Saban- D
Kirby- D
Whittingham- D
Klieman- D
Notre Dame- D

And to add, the rumor is Pittman instructs Briles to be more run-heavy than Briles wants to.

BeardoMSU
01-03-2023, 05:53 PM
Also can we move the briles talk to this thread. I?m really tired of going through 20 different pages to type something on my phone.

I fully support the briles hire but I?m not sure if it isn?t sexton trying to get him a raise at arky

If we land him it?s a home run and if he brings KJ or another awesome portal qb it?s a grand slam

No arguing in this thread, lol.

CadaverDawg
01-03-2023, 05:56 PM
I'm torn on what to believe with Briles.

On one hand, if rumors are true that we have hired Bumphis behind the scenes...that would imply that we have an OC locked in, because the OC would need to bless that hire one would think.

On the other hand, you would think if it was Briles it would be announced by now, bc the smoke has been swirling for a few days. The longer this goes with no announcement, the less I feel like it will be him.

So that begs the question...is anybody certain that Bump is coming home? Or is that just speculation?

klong-dog
01-03-2023, 06:13 PM
He's coming home. I have proof but can't post on sm.

StarkVegasSteve
01-03-2023, 06:20 PM

On one hand, if rumors are true that we have hired Bumphis behind the scenes...that would imply that we have an OC locked in, because the OC would need to bless that hire one would think.

On the other hand, you would think if it was Briles it would be announced by now, bc the smoke has been swirling for a few days. The longer this goes with no announcement, the less I feel like it will be him.

So that begs the question...is anybody certain that Bump is coming home? Or is that just speculation?

Yes I think they are wanting to announce OC officially first to not make it look like we hired a WR coach without having an OC but both Robbie and Hadad alluded to it in their podcast and Steve has alluded to it multiple times in his posts today.

I will add that I have no concrete proof of this being the case but all the alluding to it leads me to believe that is indeed the case

CadaverDawg
01-03-2023, 06:37 PM
He's coming home. I have proof but can't post on sm.

This makes me think it's Briles then.

CadaverDawg
01-03-2023, 06:38 PM
Yes I think they are wanting to announce OC officially first to not make it look like we hired a WR coach without having an OC but both Robbie and Hadad alluded to it in their podcast and Steve has alluded to it multiple times in his posts today.

I will add that I have no concrete proof of this being the case but all the alluding to it leads me to believe that is indeed the case

If Steve says Briles > 50%....

And Steve says Bump is coming....

That leads me to think his source may be Bump, and Bump is telling him Briles is agreeing to his hiring but they have to wait on Briles announcement to make it official.

But I'm totally just trying to connect rumor dots

BeardoMSU
01-03-2023, 06:43 PM
If Steve says Briles > 50%....

And Steve says Bump is coming....

That leads me to think his source may be Bump, and Bump is telling him Briles is agreeing to his hiring but they have to wait on Briles announcement to make it official.

But I'm totally just trying to connect rumor dots

Would seem possible.

Coach34
01-03-2023, 06:44 PM
I've heard Bump is coming home. The wait has been to get past the bowl games and then things would start happening.

William Tecumsah Sherman
01-03-2023, 06:47 PM
Bump has all but been confirmed

Op4isabitch
01-03-2023, 06:49 PM
Well the bowl games are over, except one and we aren’t hiring anyone from those teams.

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2023, 06:52 PM
Bert is suspiciously missing.

Ernie beat the shit out of him after he started a rumor about his mom and Mr. Snuffleapagus behind Oscar's garbage can.

Cowbell
01-03-2023, 06:57 PM
Maybe Bert Stare was CML TROLLING all of us

CadaverDawg
01-03-2023, 07:01 PM
I've heard Bump is coming home. The wait has been to get past the bowl games and then things would start happening.

Would that not likely mean we have an OC already? I can't imagine us hiring a WR coach right before hiring an OC.

Goldendawg
01-03-2023, 07:12 PM
Sexton is K Briles agent. Hope this is not Lane 2.0 and he's playing this to get big raise at Arky. Some on Arky board think so.

BeardoMSU
01-03-2023, 07:14 PM
Ernie beat the shit out of him after he started a rumor about his mom and Mr. Snuffleapagus behind Oscar's garbage can.

That bitch can't catch a single fish without charity***

Coach34
01-03-2023, 07:27 PM
Would that not likely mean we have an OC already? I can't imagine us hiring a WR coach right before hiring an OC.

Not necessarily. Arnett can explain it as- "we're bringing a State guy back to coach WR's and help recruit Mississippi. He's done a great job at Utah and is loved around StarkVegas. I think you will get along great with this guy- just let him know what you want done and expect. The rest of your offensive staff is totally up to you."

I expect something to happen asap with Briles- either way.

confucius say
01-03-2023, 07:30 PM
Another thing about our job that would be enticing to Briles is getting out of Arkansas before it goes totally south for him there. Warranted or not, their fan base is split on him, at best. Sometimes coaches just need a reset.

With bump, is our hope just that he will be a dynamic recruiter in the state of MS (which is certainly possible)? Otherwise, what has he done to warrant our job?

Coach34
01-03-2023, 07:40 PM
Another thing about our job that would be enticing to Briles is getting out of Arkansas before it goes totally south for him there. Warranted or not, their fan base is split on him, at best. Sometimes coaches just need a reset.

With bump, is our hope just that he will be a dynamic recruiter in the state of MS (which is certainly possible)? Otherwise, what has he done to warrant our job?

Getting back to an "Our State" mentality

Leroy Jenkins
01-03-2023, 07:53 PM
what has he done to warrant our job?

If his name wasn't Bumphis, and he was some anonymous WR coach who had been on a staff that went to back-to-back Rose Bowls, would he have done enough?

mo7888
01-03-2023, 07:57 PM

I'm in NWA and I think you're spot on...any raise Sexton can get him up here is only a 1 year payday. More likely, he's playing their 'offer' against ours to get us up...

confucius say
01-03-2023, 07:58 PM
If his name wasn't Bumphis, and he was some anonymous WR coach who had been on a staff that went to back-to-back Rose Bowls, would he have done enough?

Based on the production of his wr? No. He is being brought back because he played here and we hope he can lock up the state of MS on the recruiting trail.

confucius say
01-03-2023, 08:00 PM
Getting back to an "Our State" mentality

Yep. I'm okay with it. Of course, I supported the same strategy under Dan too. Hope ZA is better at it than Dan though. He should be since OM has abandoned recruiting the state.

Really Clark?
01-03-2023, 08:10 PM
Based on the production of his wr? No. He is being brought back because he played here and we hope he can lock up the state of MS on the recruiting trail.

Well their top WR had more yards than our top WR and is a Soph. Their top 2 WR were Soph. While throwing the ball 200 times less than we did. They depended heavily on their TE who is one of the best in the country.

BeardoMSU
01-03-2023, 08:17 PM
So, is this guy a clown or someone who'd know?

https://twitter.com/aidsapev/status/1610363649784258561?t=KLADjGOecIrbaxv5INBGMg&s=19

was21
01-03-2023, 08:18 PM
or maybe because he's on the verge of being fired.

PikeDawg15
01-03-2023, 08:19 PM

https://twitter.com/aidsapev/status/1610363649784258561?t=KLADjGOecIrbaxv5INBGMg&s=19

He?s trolling us, since a lot of our fans are doing what auburn did to ole miss fans about lane kiffin and Judkins

PikeDawg15
01-03-2023, 08:19 PM
Did not mean to put that in blue lol

Homedawg
01-03-2023, 08:20 PM

I have no idea if Bump is coming back or not. Meaning I'm not in the loop w him. But all this talk about Briles is gonna hire the entire offensive staff- if he takes it- is just not going to happen. Autonomy w the offense yes. Staff no. Will he have input? I'm sure. But ZA is in charge.

Really Clark?
01-03-2023, 08:20 PM

Considering he included the mascot, I'm gonna go with clown.

BeardoMSU
01-03-2023, 08:23 PM

Lol, wasn't even thinking mascots...just thought that was some kids nickname.

Turfdawg67
01-03-2023, 08:33 PM

I thought he was including the Alabama fan that posts on here...

Commercecomet24
01-03-2023, 08:41 PM
I have no idea if Bump is coming back or not. Meaning I'm not in the loop w him. But all this talk about Briles is gonna hire the entire offensive staff- if he takes it- is just not going to happen. Autonomy w the offense yes. Staff no. Will he have input? I'm sure. But ZA is in charge.

This!

BrunswickDawg
01-03-2023, 08:44 PM
Lol, wasn't even thinking mascots...just thought that was some kids nickname.
I thought TUSK was finally break free from Darth Saban and become a State guy

Goldendawg
01-03-2023, 09:17 PM

We don't have enough NIL $ to get Tusk from bama. His various "business interests" fund about 75% of their NIL!**** Hail State!

Bdawg
01-03-2023, 09:45 PM

More misery being a State fan than being under the control of Darth Saban!!

yjnkdawg
01-03-2023, 10:52 PM
This makes me think it's Briles then.

We wouldn't have to have an OC yet for Bump to be hired, because CZA should do the hiring . The new OC could have some input in who is hired on the offensive side and could possibly bring one of his assistants in but the HC has the final say so. CZA can give full reign to the OC to run the offense the way he wants to, but a HC has the final say so on staffing. CML hired all his assistants.

PikeDawg15
01-04-2023, 12:05 AM
From what I can tell

Arkansas thought it was a joke for the past few days but now their messsage boards have created OC hot boards and fire Sam pittman threads and F Briles etc etc

Cowbell
01-04-2023, 12:15 AM
From what I can tell

Arkansas thought it was a joke for the past few days but now their messsage boards have created OC hot boards and fire Sam pittman threads and F Briles etc etc

But guys on here tell me Arkansas wants him gone***

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 12:20 AM
From what I can tell

Bama Online even has a thread on it. One poster said Saban wouldn't give KB free reign to run his offense.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2023, 12:29 AM
But guys on here tell me Arkansas wants him gone***

Arkansas fans questioned and/or were upset with some of his calls during the season but Pittman probably had some input in the calls. I don't think they actually wanted him gone though.

Todd4State
01-04-2023, 03:34 AM
From what I can tell

I'm about 99% sure the F Briles threads are from Arkansas people that lose their mind at the thought that anyone or anything Mississippi might be a better option than them.

Look at their baseball program and how they act when they play us.

Op4isabitch
01-04-2023, 10:18 AM
https://hogville.net/pig-trail-nation/mississippi-state-eyeing-kendal-briles/

Leroy Jenkins
01-04-2023, 10:38 AM

He was offered the RB job when Mele went to special teams. He turned it down because he wanted to work with WRs.

Johnson85
01-04-2023, 10:40 AM
And to add, the rumor is Pittman instructs Briles to be more run-heavy than Briles wants to.

And that's the problem with having a "CEO" coach. When they want input into "their" side of the ball, it makes the job much less appealing to the best coordinators.