PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Anecdote

EdwardDrayton
01-03-2023, 05:28 PM
There will be more to share about the trip to Tampa in the coming days but will first share a little giggle moment.

Am standing with my son in a well-known Tampa landmark when I glance down the hall. I immediately recognize the very distinctive --- at least to me --- gentleman pulling cash from the ATM. However with the man being dressed in gym shorts, flip flops and a Diamondbacks T-shirt and no one causing any kind of commotion around him, my son is skeptical. But my wife will attest to my knack for recognizing folks as it happened more than a few times when I worked in Manhattan.

And as he turns to come toward us, the hobble in his step is a dead giveaway. I had seen that same limp just a week before in a tournament with his son.

"How ya' feeling John?", I asked. "Better", he replied, a broad smile breaking.

"It's good to see you", I said without any intent of asking for a picture or bringing attention to his presence.

"Thank you" he said and ambled on down the hall. Saw him a couple more times before we left but did not bother him as no one had recognized him and he was just enjoying a fun New Year's Day.

Have always been a fan but never had a moment with him until then.

Justin Thomas calls him Bad Santa. Most of us have always known him as Long John. But to me my chance encounter only set in stone that he is a very kind, down-to-earth, genuine Southern man that I've always believed him to be.

Will always be one of many memorable moments of our time in Tampa.

AROB44
01-03-2023, 06:21 PM
Well, sure wish I could understand who you are talking about.

SteelCurtain74
01-03-2023, 06:30 PM

I believe he's referring to John Daly.

Santiago
01-03-2023, 06:38 PM

yeah, agree. Thought I was solving a riddle.
Dang Drayton just say " I saw John Daly and he walked away" ***

State82
01-03-2023, 06:49 PM
I used to really enjoy following him on the course when he played at Annandale in the PGA tournament in Madison.

Dawg_Lover
01-03-2023, 09:47 PM
I knew immediately who you were talking about. In fact, he and his son played in the PNC Chsmpionship mid Dec., and finished 2nd. They said he was scheduled for knee surgery the following Wednesday.
Cool story. Thanks for sharing.

EdwardDrayton
01-03-2023, 10:25 PM
I knew immediately who you were talking about. In fact, he and his son played in the PNC Chsmpionship mid Dec., and finished 2nd. They said he was scheduled for knee surgery the following Wednesday.
Cool story. Thanks for sharing.

He indeed had surgery which I did not know at the time.

https://i.postimg.cc/Kvx8kRdC/C89-AA593-B589-4-A89-BA71-44-D1-E9-EC0427.jpg (https://postimg.cc/8sXSxPkb)