PDA

View Full Version : Arnett and "Continuity"

Coach34
01-03-2023, 11:15 AM
We hired Arnett for continuity. But we also hired him because he was a good candidate.

We will have continuity on defense. We will run the same scheme. Nothing changes there.
Strength and Conditioning sounds like it is going to continue on with business as usual. So keeping continuity there.

So with 50% of our football program- we are keeping complete continuity.

Recruiting staff and off the field staff? Making some changes there. That's normal. Some of the people there in those roles were Leach people- so our new HC needs people there he is comfortable with or people that know Mississippi. Common sense.

And finally- offense. Gonna be some changes and I'm not sure why some people are surprised. Leach was the ONLY person that ran the pure Air Raid. So that offense died along with him. Our new HC doesnt want an offense that throws 50 passes per game. Can't say I blame him. I'm looking forward to see who we bring in. Air Raid has morphed since the 1990's. Lincoln Riley runs power read plays, counter reads, pin and pull- all kinds of different runs in the ground game. So do the other Air Raid guys.

Offensive change has been coming to Miss State since December 12th. Now we see what we morph into.

Really Clark?
01-03-2023, 11:21 AM
Exactly! We can still be air raid if that's what ZA wants but it was going to be a different offense from Leach no matter what. Nobody runs it like he does.

yjnkdawg
01-03-2023, 11:26 AM
Yep pretty simple and continuity of the offense also means keeping a similar concept but not the same exact offense and continuity has nothing to do with the coaching staff as I mentioned in another thread earlier .

Coursesuper
01-03-2023, 11:48 AM
We hired Arnett for continuity. But we also hired him because he was a good candidate.

We will have continuity on defense. We will run the same scheme. Nothing changes there.
Strength and Conditioning sounds like it is going to continue on with business as usual. So keeping continuity there.

Recruiting staff and off the field staff? Making some changes there. That's normal. Some of the people there in those roles were Leach people- so our new HC needs people there he is comfortable with or people that know Mississippi. Common sense.

And finally- offense. Gonna be some changes and I'm not sure why some people are surprised. Leach was the ONLY person that ran the pure Air Raid. So that offense died along with him. Our new HC doesnt want an offense that throws 50 passes per game. Can't say I blame him. I'm looking forward to see who we bring in. Air Raid has morphed since the 1990's. Lincoln Riley runs power read plays, counter reads, pin and pull- all kinds of different runs in the ground game. So do the other Air Raid guys.

Offensive change has been coming to Miss State since December 12th. Now we see what we morph into.

You can add continuity of the field as well, Moorhead left a train wreck with zero accountability and no toughness, that is no more. This will be the greatest legacy from the Leach era going forward. Very few problems and almost no drama in the program these days.

Johnson85
01-03-2023, 12:02 PM

I have really been shocked by the people that are bothered by the turnover on the offensive side of the ball and acting like it's something the MSU administration or Arnett did. You'd think they somehow missed that our head coach and offensive coordinator died and we didn't really have the option of business as usual on the offensive side of the ball. Now if we go hire a power spread OC or something, I will be really pissed that we are throwing another potentially good year away transitioning offenses. There are good OCs that use air raid concepts and even if that's not what Arnett would want to run if he were starting from scratch, he's not starting from scratch and we don't need a rebuild on that side of the ball. But promoting SPurrier or Mason (who Im a big fan of based on how our OL seemed to do compared to our OL talent and I wish we were able to keep) would not have really been continuity on the offensive side of the ball. Leach was sort of important to how our offense was run.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2023, 12:11 PM
You can add continuity of the field as well, Moorhead left a train wreck with zero accountability and no toughness, that is no more. This will be the greatest legacy from the Leach era going forward. Very few problems and almost no drama in the program these days.

Absolutely Leach changed the culture after the mess jomo left. Watching our team play with effort, intensity, hustle and no quit in them is awesome to see.

West Houston Dog
01-03-2023, 12:24 PM
I dont have a clue

TorpedoIPA
01-03-2023, 12:29 PM
I don't think we can run the same type of offense as Alabama, LSU and Georgia and expect to beat them with lower ranking recruiting classes. We need something different that they have to prepare for.

Leach had his system and recruited to it rather than changing every year based on his personnel. By the time players had been in his system a few years, they could run the offense at a high level. I think some of you are too impatient. Leach was only on year 3 and one of those was the COVID year.

The offensive line was the most critical component of the offense as Leach said many times. He liked a certain kind of lineman. I do think the guys he was developing would have really made the offense go in the next year or two.

Also, I still have hopes for Sawyer Robertson. Some times it takes a while and then the light suddenly goes on as they say.

Really Clark?
01-03-2023, 12:37 PM
I don't think we can run the same type of offense as Alabama, LSU and Georgia and expect to beat them with lower ranking recruiting classes. We need something different that they have to prepare for.

Leach had his system and recruited to it rather than changing every year based on his personnel. By the time players had been in his system a few years, they could run the offense at a high level. I think some of you are too impatient. Leach was only on year 3 and one of those was the COVID year.

The offensive line was the most critical component of the offense as Leach said many times. He liked a certain kind of lineman. I do think the guys he was developing would have really made the offense go in the next year or two.

Also, I still have hopes for Sawyer Robertson. Some times it takes a while and then the light suddenly goes on as they say.

I haven't seen any OC mentioned that runs those types of offenses, so we're good then.

Coach34
01-03-2023, 12:38 PM
I dont have a clue

You hit the portal and bring a couple in.

Really Clark?
01-03-2023, 12:40 PM
I dont have a clue

He runs 10 personnel but leans toward 11 personnel more heavily. So we would look to convert someone and/or bring in TE's

Leeshouldveflanked
01-03-2023, 12:49 PM
Lots of TEs in the Portal

PMDawg
01-03-2023, 01:06 PM

I guess I fall into that. I just kind of assumed we would pretty much promote from within and maybe bring in an outside guy or two. Pretty much the entire offensive staff had been with Leach for a pretty long time, so I figured they would know the ML version of the air raid like the back of their hand by now. And the play-calling doesn't seem that complicated. ML did it kind of like Tecmo Bowl. You call right+B and hope the defense called one of the other 7 plays. lol