PDA

View Full Version : I have no idea what targeting is any more?

IMissJack
01-02-2023, 04:50 PM
The USC hit on Tulane guy looked like perfect example to me. Reviewed and not called.

BorneDawg
01-02-2023, 04:51 PM
yep for real the definition of targeting!!

Commercecomet24
01-02-2023, 04:52 PM
It sure looked like it to me, but I don't think anyone knows anymore

RocketDawg
01-02-2023, 04:53 PM
The USC hit on Tulane guy looked like perfect example to me. Reviewed and not called.

Looked like the intent of the rule and a perfect example of the rule. Refs blew it. But it didn't matter in the end. If they can hold USC now they have a huge upset.

BorneDawg
01-02-2023, 04:53 PM
about like what is a good sack and unnecessary roughing the passer.......

parabrave
01-02-2023, 04:57 PM
Nope refs got it right. He was not defensiless and the USC defender didn;t lead with the frown of the helmet.

BorneDawg
01-02-2023, 05:02 PM
not sure of the frown, but unless the crown is only the small hole in the top of the helmet, then he did lead with the part of the helmet above the facemask (thats what i thought was the crown)

parabrave
01-02-2023, 05:03 PM
not sure of the frown, but unless the crown is only the small hole in the top of the helmet, then he did lead with the part of the helmet above the facemask (thats what i thought was the crown)

According to Matt Austin he said the crown was the top of the helmet.

Turfdawg67
01-02-2023, 05:04 PM

This is correct. Targeting all the way...

Maroonthirteen
01-02-2023, 05:12 PM
Looked to me the refs got it right. Looked to me they hit forehead/face mask. Also the WR had turned and was running. Therefore no longer defenseless. Also I thought the defender was just trying to make a tackle and not necessarily launching to the head neck area.

IMissJack
01-02-2023, 05:23 PM
Looked to me the refs got it right. Looked to me they hit forehead/face mask. Also the WR had turned and was running. Therefore no longer defenseless. Also I thought the defender was just trying to make a tackle and not necessarily launching to the head neck area.
The problem is that there is not a clear cut yes no, or we would not be debating it. I?ve seen much less called targeting, and that is what drives me crazy.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2023, 05:26 PM
The problem is that there is not a clear cut yes no, or we would not be debating it. I?ve seen much less called targeting, and that is what drives me crazy.

Targeting, roughing the passer and PI is strictly up to the official making the call. To much leeway and no real definitive answers