PDA

View Full Version : The Defense

parabrave
01-02-2023, 04:00 PM
Just played their best game of the year. Crumedy and the Dline lived in their backfield most of the game. Watson and JJ made great plays on their blitzes. Forbes made him some Moola today. 7 sacks.

basedog
01-02-2023, 04:00 PM
Yep!

Coach34
01-02-2023, 04:04 PM
They won the game. They were exceptional

parabrave
Just to add Forbes with 7 tackles. We had 10 TFLs. And who is Timbs 4 TFLs w 2 sacks.

Commercecomet24
We stuffed the 2 te offense run game that had given us problems some this year. Zach made adjustments. He's gonna be a good one if we can get right oc. Our defense next year will be filthy.

TorpedoIPA
01-02-2023, 04:06 PM
Yep!

I'd cut the offense a little bit of slack too. Illinois is a good team. Michigan only scored 19 and beat them by 2 points I believe.

Cowbell
01-02-2023, 04:06 PM
Yes I agree. Mstate defense of old these last few games

State82
01-02-2023, 04:08 PM
Just like against UM. All those guys were the collective MVP.

StarkVegasSteve
01-02-2023, 04:10 PM
Just to add Forbes with 7 tackles. We had 10 TFLs. And who is Timbs 4 TFLs w 2 sacks.

That would be Sherman Timbs. Former walk on from Indianola Academy. Solid player. Worked his tail off to be able to contribute his final season.

chef dixon
01-02-2023, 04:16 PM
Without Wheat. Welcome to the new era of State ball

chef dixon
01-02-2023, 04:18 PM
I'd cut the offense a little bit of slack too. Illinois is a good team. Michigan only scored 19 and beat them by 2 points I believe.

Agree. Good adjustments. Really tough circumstances.

TrapGame
01-02-2023, 04:20 PM

That's true. Illinois defense ain't no joke. Fat Bert has done a good job up there.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2023, 04:31 PM
Illinois held Michigan to 19 so it's not like we just played etsu defense

R2Dawg
01-02-2023, 04:31 PM

Defense was outstanding all day.

I'll add for you 34, the run game in the end also won the game.

SailingDawg
01-02-2023, 04:40 PM
Do you believe Arnett held back a little in the first half, then let loose in the second half? Defense just tore up the Illinois QB throughout the second. Gave up a couple of bad penalties but then came at them again to stymie the offense again and again.

Hail State!

Coach34
01-02-2023, 04:41 PM
Defense was outstanding all day.

I'll add for you 34, the run game in the end also won the game.

absolutely

ScooterDog
01-02-2023, 05:56 PM
I could not believe that we held Ill to 22 yards rushing until I saw the stats myself. Outstanding.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2023, 06:00 PM
I could not believe that we held Ill to 22 yards rushing until I saw the stats myself. Outstanding.

We destroyed them up front.

Coursesuper
01-02-2023, 06:06 PM

Did a great job of keeping the game in front of us all day and really tested Illini manhood in the box.

Goldendawg
01-02-2023, 06:18 PM
absolutely

Coach, being nosey, but you usually comment on your betting strategy on games. Late TD cement any bets?

Goldendawg
01-02-2023, 06:24 PM

D played great, but their 1600 yard RB opted out for NFL. Heck, we would have shut him down too perhaps, way run D has been playing last couple of games. Hail State!

msu15
01-02-2023, 06:25 PM
Matt Brock called the defensive plays today. Hmmmm

Ari Gold
01-02-2023, 06:28 PM
Keep recruiting defense better and get more speed .. we always have pro DL
And keep upgrading the OL,

You do those 2 things we will always have a chance at winning 7-8

Get that difference maker at QB now things get interesting

Commercecomet24
01-02-2023, 06:29 PM

Did a heckuva job too. Glad Arnett is letting staff do their jobs. That's what great leaders do.

msu15
01-02-2023, 06:31 PM
Did a heckuva job too. Glad Arnett is letting staff do their jobs. That's what great leaders do.

A to the men dude. When's the last time we had a HC not tied to a certain scheme and calling his own plays? Jackie? I'm starving to just have a CEO again.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2023, 06:33 PM
A to the men dude. When's the last time we had a HC not tied to a certain scheme and calling his own plays? Jackie? I'm starving to just have a CEO again.

Right. To be successful you have to be the ceo and surround yourself with excellent support and let them do their jobs and provide oversight

R2Dawg
01-02-2023, 06:35 PM
Keep recruiting defense better and get more speed .. we always have pro DL
And keep upgrading the OL,

You do those 2 things we will always have a chance at winning 7-8

Get that difference maker at QB now things get interesting

This has been the success formula for decades. We need to continue and get the generational QB every once in a while to make a championship run.

Tater
01-02-2023, 06:36 PM
Coach, being nosey, but you usually comment on your betting strategy on games. Late TD cement any bets?

He loaded up on Illinois when they were at -2 to open and then said he bet the house on us when were at -2. So who knows if he actually made any money. Had a 4 point window where he was gonna lose a lot.

Definitely don't take stock advice from him.

R2Dawg
01-02-2023, 06:36 PM

Agree this too.

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2023, 07:22 PM

I was there and Arnett was definitely doing the signaling so I doubt that

ZedFedder
01-02-2023, 07:25 PM

Arnett said postgame it was Brock calling the plays, he just signaled in.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2023, 07:26 PM

Arnett said it in the press conference. Brock called the plays Zach signaled
Them in.

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2023, 07:27 PM
Arnett said postgame it was Brock calling the plays, he just signaled in.

That is almost unheard of

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2023, 07:28 PM
The only way that makes sense is if Brock has a serious problem learning signals or somebody else does. That may be the first time in history that has happened if Arnett is being honest haha

Offshore Dawg
01-02-2023, 08:41 PM
The only way that makes sense is if Brock has a serious problem learning signals or somebody else does. That may be the first time in history that has happened if Arnett is being honest haha

Why wouldn't he

Commercecomet24
01-02-2023, 08:45 PM

Zach doesn't have any reason to lie about it.

Lord McBuckethead
01-02-2023, 08:57 PM
Forbes was listed as the number 15 CB in the draft, no flippin way. People absolutely stopped throwing his side of the field game 5 last year.

Ari Gold
01-02-2023, 10:06 PM
Forbes was listed as the number 15 CB in the draft, no flippin way. People absolutely stopped throwing his side of the field game 5 last year.

He will move up draft boards quickly when combines start
As long as the kid skips the Bench press

Coach34
01-02-2023, 10:30 PM
He loaded up on Illinois when they were at -2 to open and then said he bet the house on us when were at -2. So who knows if he actually made any money. Had a 4 point window where he was gonna lose a lot.

Definitely don't take stock advice from him.

I put $25 on Illinois on an initial bet. Then their Tb and best 2 players in the Secondary opted out. Leach died. I immediately started piling money on us. Their opt outs plus our motivation with Leach made it an easy pick. I was sweating in the 2nd half- but enjoying the outcome.

And as usual- Tater doesnt know a ****ing thing about anything

Coach34
01-02-2023, 10:32 PM

Forbes size drags him down. Cant see him lasting past Round 3. He's just too good

Tater
01-03-2023, 12:07 AM
I put $25 on Illinois on an initial bet. Then their Tb and best 2 players in the Secondary opted out. Leach died. I immediately started piling money on us. Their opt outs plus our motivation with Leach made it an easy pick. I was sweating in the 2nd half- but enjoying the outcome.

And as usual- Tater doesnt know a ****ing thing about anything

I mean on your salary $25 is definitely loading up and "piling money" prolly means $100-$200 which is about what your house is worth.

So looks like my statement was right. And there was a gap where you could lose it all.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-03-2023, 02:03 PM
I mean on your salary $25 is definitely loading up and "piling money" prolly means $100-$200 which is about what your house is worth.

So looks like my statement was right. And there was a gap where you could lose it all.

F off with personal attacks on a mans income. This kind of crap should get you banned for a week

State82
01-03-2023, 02:41 PM
F off with personal attacks on a mans income. This kind of crap should get you banned for a week

Yeah, all this childish bullshit is just that. Bullshit. That is not what a sports message board is about. Discuss a game. Gripe about play calling. Discuss coaches being hired or fired. Analyze every detail you would like. But lay off the personal, playground attacks.

HancockCountyDog
01-03-2023, 02:49 PM
Cam Young is such an unsung hero - guy was an absolute anchor in the middle. Also, we just dared them to beat us over the top and they couldn't get it done. They missed open WR's when they had us in 1 on 1 situations.

I'm going to miss Young the most.

This guy is going to end up being a 8-10 year pro.

Prediction? Pain.
01-03-2023, 04:29 PM
The defense was phenomenal, as it has been most of the season. We held Illinois to their lowest yards-per-play and total yards of the entire season, and that includes games against Iowa and Michigan. Yeah, no doubt they missed their started RB. And, yeah, Illinois has one of the worst offense we faced by a Power 5 school this year even with their stud RB (on par with Auburn's, Kentucky's, and A&M's statistically). Still, damn solid effort for them under all the circumstances.

Also, somewhat (well, totally) off topic: Despite the offense's meager point output and the frustrations we all had watching the game, I think they deserve at least some props for what they did, too. (*Ducks to avoid barrage of rotten tomatoes*)

Illinois' defense is elite:

Scoring D: 1st nationally
Total D: 3rd nationally
Opponents' yards-per-play: 2nd nationally
Opposing Passer Rating: 1st nationally
Red Zone TD% D: 1st nationally
% of opponents' drives that end in TDs: 2nd nationally
3rd down % D: 9th nationally
Total INT: 1st nationally

And so on and so on. Say what you want about context, but those numbers all rival our '18 defense.

And yet, three weeks after our HC/OC who invented our offense died and without our leading receiver and co-starting RB, we put up more yards and yards per play on Illinois than any other team all season long, including Michigan's Top 10 offense. Yeah, a boneheaded throw on the doorstep of the end zone cost us another 3 or 7 points, and that's lame. And, yes, Illinois lost their DC and two of their best DBs. But all things considered, it's laudable that they were able to move that ball like they did given how other teams fared during the season.

Or maybe I'm just feeling the lingering glow of whisky-aided holiday cheer. Stats! Everybody wins! Whatever!

Commercecomet24
01-03-2023, 04:32 PM
The defense was phenomenal, as it has been most of the season. We held Illinois to their lowest yards-per-play and total yards of the entire season, and that includes games against Iowa and Michigan. Yeah, no doubt they missed their started RB. And, yeah, Illinois has one of the worst offense we faced by a Power 5 school this year even with their stud RB (on par with Auburn's, Kentucky's, and A&M's statistically). Still, damn solid effort for them under all the circumstances.

Also, somewhat (well, totally) off topic: Despite the offense's meager point output and the frustrations we all had watching the game, I think they deserve at least some props for what they did, too. (*Ducks to avoid barrage of rotten tomatoes*)

Illinois' defense is elite:

Scoring D: 1st nationally
Total D: 3rd nationally
Opponents' yards-per-play: 2nd nationally
Opposing Passer Rating: 1st nationally
Red Zone TD% D: 1st nationally
% of opponents' drives that end in TDs: 2nd nationally
3rd down % D: 9th nationally
Total INT: 1st nationally

And so on and so on. Say what you want about context, but those numbers all rival our '18 defense.

And yet, three weeks after our HC/OC who invented our offense died and without our leading receiver and co-starting RB, we put up more yards and yards per play on Illinois than any other team all season long, including Michigan's Top 10 offense. Yeah, a boneheaded throw on the doorstep of the end zone cost us another 3 or 7 points, and that's lame. And, yes, Illinois lost their DC and two of their best DBs. But all things considered, it's laudable that they were able to move that ball like they did given how other teams fared during the season.

Or maybe I'm just feeling the lingering glow of whisky-aided holiday cheer. Stats! Everybody wins! Whatever!

I really wish you would post more. You always bring such good stuff to the table.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2023, 04:40 PM
Here's a quote from Arnett and one of the things that leads me to believe he's gonna be a good one:

"I just found myself getting pulled in so many different directions with signing day and all the other responsibilities of a head coach," Arnett said. "I certainly can't take credit for something I really wasn't a part of, unless you guys thinkg the signals came in pretty nice....I'm incredibly happy with the defensive assistants. They got our guys prepared to play."

He's gonna be a ceo type and let his staff do their jobs. Surround yourself with good people and let them go to work and provide oversight and make them accountable. That's the way to be consistently successful. And he makes sure to give credit to the players and staff without any self agrandizing. I like the guy a lot and hope he's mega successful and is a Bulldog a long time!

Coach34
01-03-2023, 04:46 PM

I had a 4 figure payday. So now I can afford to buy a couple more houses.

basedog
01-03-2023, 05:02 PM
Here's a quote from Arnett and one of the things that leads me to believe he's gonna be a good one:

"I just found myself getting pulled in so many different directions with signing day and all the other responsibilities of a head coach," Arnett said. "I certainly can't take credit for something I really wasn't a part of, unless you guys thinkg the signals came in pretty nice....I'm incredibly happy with the defensive assistants. They got our guys prepared to play."

He's gonna be a ceo type and let his staff do their jobs. Surround yourself with good people and let them go to work and provide oversight and make them accountable. That's the way to be consistently successful. And he makes sure to give credit to the players and staff without any self agrandizing. I like the guy a lot and hope he's mega successful and is a Bulldog a long time!

I agree, some of the comments by a few not liking who may be our OC and other assistants is kinda crazy. Someone said we should have done a National search and I think that would have wrecked our program built. I like the idea of tweaking the offense.