PDA

View Full Version : Will Rogers

PikeDawg15
01-02-2023, 02:15 PM
Would any team in the SEC actually trade Quarterbacks with us?

Like seriously some may say auburn but that?s mainly coaching and how bad their o line is.

msu15
01-02-2023, 02:31 PM
No way would Auburn take Will over Ashford.

dawgday166
01-02-2023, 03:26 PM
We do need a new QB. I'm real tired of watching a 3 year starter play like a true freshman.

basedog
01-02-2023, 03:34 PM
Time to enjoy the win and 9 win season!

DownwardDawg
01-02-2023, 03:34 PM
.......is a great young man and representative of Our State!!!!

That's all I have to say today.
Congrats young man.

chef dixon
01-02-2023, 03:35 PM
He was better today than the egg bowl. I could tell he was trying to be more of a playmaker when the play broke down and was trying to not just go straight to the back in the flat

BulldogDX55
01-02-2023, 03:35 PM
Holy shit just enjoy the win and stop complaining for five minutes.

Will had a ton on his plate today.

Patrick Tibbons
01-02-2023, 03:37 PM
I?m just glad the ESPN crew found out that he was coming back next year and not declaring for the NFL draft.

Dawgface
01-02-2023, 03:43 PM
I'm going to enjoy the win and not worry the offense. I doubt Arnett will take the advice from us on who to hire as OC or what to do about qb next year anyway. Ha

Maroonthirteen
01-02-2023, 03:48 PM

Congrats young man.

Well said. Congratulations to Will, the OL, Marks, Price, WR corp and entire defense. Hail State!

KOdawg1
01-02-2023, 03:49 PM
Thank goodness for Simeon Price, Justin Robinson, and our defense

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-02-2023, 03:51 PM
Guy lost a father figure. Think it's ok to give him a break on this one.

GoDawgz
01-02-2023, 04:21 PM
Good grief! Take one day without throwing a negative spin on a positive moment. ITS A WIN.

was21
01-02-2023, 04:30 PM
We've won a lot of games with Will at QB...that' all

Commercecomet24
01-02-2023, 04:56 PM

Congrats young man.

This is the correct perspective!

KOdawg1
01-02-2023, 05:03 PM
We're limited with him. Thankfully we can still win 9 games. Have to wonder what we can do with a mobile QB though

msudawglb
01-02-2023, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I?m going to give Will props. I think he played a good game. He made some great throws. He did just lose his mentor and played well considering. He had one interception which was a bad decision. The other was not on him. He led us in the second half. 14 of 18 I believe for 122yds and 1 TD. How many times did he take a sack? Hell, he even scrambled and ran a few. No, he?s not a runner, but he didn?t crumble and cause negative played. Let?s enjoy the win.

SailingDawg
01-02-2023, 05:12 PM
Guy lost a father figure. Think it's ok to give him a break on this one.

Really thought Will might have been too emotional in the first half, but he was fired up in the second half.

Quaoarsking
01-02-2023, 05:13 PM
He lead us to a 9-4 record, including an Egg Bowl win and a bowl win, and a likely top 20 finish in the rankings. I'll always think positively of him.

If we can get someone better next year, definitely do it, but I think that sentence is always true for every position.

State82
01-02-2023, 06:01 PM
He lead us to a 9-4 record, including an Egg Bowl win and a bowl win, and a likely top 20 finish in the rankings. I'll always think positively of him.

If we can get someone better next year, definitely do it, but I think that sentence is always true for every position.

Pretty much spot on.

MaroonFlounder
01-02-2023, 07:07 PM
Will has a serious issue with defenders easily getting a hand on his passes and deflecting them. Was it 6 deflections today, I counted?

Will is like 5?10 and telegraphs his passes. I love the guy, but would like a QB that is taller, with a stronger arm, and more mobility.

BeardoMSU
01-02-2023, 07:08 PM

Well said.

smootness
01-02-2023, 07:13 PM
We're limited with him. Thankfully we can still win 9 games. Have to wonder what we can do with a mobile QB though

I’m no Will Rogers superfan, but I hate comments like this. Sure, there are some things Rogers just doesn’t have that other QBs do, and that’s one of them. But he also brings things to the table that others don’t, and with him, we’ve been darn solid to quite good.

Adding a mobile QB who doesn’t also bring the things Rogers brings to the table doesn’t get you anywhere and likely sends you backward. We would all take a world-beater at QB, but Will Rogers is a good QB and we should absolutely appreciate what he does do well a heck of a lot more than we do.

Ari Gold
01-03-2023, 09:58 AM
Will is a great kid.. prob one of the best all around off the field kids to ever play at MSU

But since the student athletes didn’t want to be treated like student athletes anymore , it’s a business now
So if an upgrade is available you take you. You make a business decision. Risk / Reward

Will may very well be our starting QB next year , but times have changed in college sports.

KOdawg1
01-03-2023, 10:00 AM
I'd take KJ Jefferson in a heartbeat and wouldn't think twice.

Maverick91
01-03-2023, 10:02 AM
Will is a great kid.. prob one of the best all around off the field kids to ever play at MSU

But since the student athletes didn’t want to be treated like student athletes anymore , it’s a business now
So if an upgrade is available you take you. You make a business decision. Risk / Reward

Will may very well be our starting QB next year , but times have changed in college sports.

Extreme, unfortunate facts!

Jarius
01-03-2023, 10:05 AM
Arnett was lobbed some softball questions in the postgame presser about Will’s play at the end of the game where the reporters tried to make him out to be some sort of hero. Arnett said that the defense deserves the credit or something similar. If the rumors of Briles to MSU are true then Will has more than likely played his last game here.

KOdawg1
01-03-2023, 10:06 AM
I?m no Will Rogers superfan, but I hate comments like this.

Oh well. I hope you'll be okay.

William Tecumsah Sherman
01-03-2023, 10:17 AM
Both can be true. Will Rogers is gritty, a great teammate, a smart player, and a great representative of MSU.

Will Rogers has maxed his ability, cannot move in or out of the pocket, has below average arm strength, and limits offensive possibilities.

KOdawg1
01-03-2023, 10:18 AM
Both can be true. Will Rogers is gritty, a great teammate, a smart player, and a great representative of MSU.

Will Rogers has maxed his ability, cannot move in or out of the pocket, has below average arm strength, and limits offensive possibilities.

Correct

tcdog70
01-03-2023, 10:43 AM

what if he has maxed his ability? That ability just lead us to 9 wins and an egg bowl win. Did you not watch Stetson Benett play like shit for the first half? It is easy to be critical of a QB --especially when He throws 50 times a game.. Not every pass will be perfect--not every decision will be the right one. Do- I scream at Will during the game-Hell Yes. If we continue to run an air raid scheme--I an all in with Will--If we change to a scheme that calls for a mobile QB --then we will have to see where that leads Us.. 9 wins will be hard to top--especially when your schedule was as hard as ours. Who else played Ga and Bama and won 9? LSU?

Really Clark?
01-03-2023, 11:08 AM
what if he has maxed his ability? That ability just lead us to 9 wins and an egg bowl win. Did you not watch Stetson Benett play like shit for the first half? It is easy to be critical of a QB --especially when He throws 50 times a game.. Not every pass will be perfect--not every decision will be the right one. Do- I scream at Will during the game-Hell Yes. If we continue to run an air raid scheme--I an all in with Will--If we change to a scheme that calls for a mobile QB --then we will have to see where that leads Us.. 9 wins will be hard to top--especially when your schedule was as hard as ours. Who else played Ga and Bama and won 9? LSU?

I disagree completely that Will and the offense won 9 games. This year was a team win if there ever was one. The defense and special teams (besides FG kickers) has to get as much or more credit. Heck we just won our 9th game scoring 13 points on offense. It's was a great team effort that got us 9 wins and if our defense was at the offense level, we are fighting for a bowl game.

gtowndawg
01-03-2023, 11:10 AM
I disagree completely that Will and the offense won 9 games. This year was a team win if there ever was one. The defense and special teams (besides FG kickers) has to get as much or more credit. Heck we just won our 9th game scoring 13 points on offense. It's was a great team effort that got us 9 wins and if our defense was at the offense level, we are fighting for a bowl game.

To be fair we won yesterday because of the FG kicker. Easy kick I know but you still have to kick it under pressure. If he missed our whole perspective today might be very different.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2023, 11:14 AM
To be fair we won yesterday because of the FG kicker. Easy kick I know but you still have to kick it under pressure. If he missed our whole perspective today might be very different.

Biscardi had big clutch kicks, yesterday, against auburn and om. He had multiple game winning fgs when he was at Coastal. His problem was always extra points, strange i know.

Really Clark?
01-03-2023, 11:15 AM

Well I meant over the season but yes he did and good for him. Made 2 big ones yesterday. Those extra point distance ones have given him fits over the years. Proud of the young man to step up.

Political Hack
01-03-2023, 02:40 PM

Win 6 games? He's the QB until someone proves they can execute at a higher level, which is going to be hard to do.

"Welcome to Mississippi State where the backup QB is always better than the starter."

Goldendawg
01-03-2023, 02:48 PM
Win 6 games? He's the QB until someone proves they can execute at a higher level, which is going to be hard to do.

"Welcome to Mississippi State where the backup QB is always better than the starter."

Our backups are at this point not as good as our starter, which is part of the issue with a room with two strong 4 stars. Our QB room may indeed be one big miss unless Parson is the real deal.

msudawglb
01-03-2023, 02:52 PM
I start with I want the best QB we can have on the field next season.

Will has some glaring weaknesses (mobility and down field vision) but I doubt any of us have ever seen a more accurate passer wearing maroon and white. The throws that Will does make are difficult and accurate. He makes a lot of throws.....a lot. Another QB, like KJ, would definitely be more mobile and throw downfield more. But can he make the accurate throws. Go back and watch some of the throws Will made in the 4th quarter. Pretty damn good.

TrapGame
01-03-2023, 02:52 PM

If we land Briles you'll probably get that wish. And probably that stud TE they have too. He's got a year left, IIRC. It would be huge to have experienced players from this offense helping teach it.

Matt3467
01-03-2023, 02:54 PM
Arnett was lobbed some softball questions in the postgame presser about Will’s play at the end of the game where the reporters tried to make him out to be some sort of hero. Arnett said that the defense deserves the credit or something similar. If the rumors of Briles to MSU are true then Will has more than likely played his last game here.

No one seems to believe them on the Arkansas message board FWIW.

HancockCountyDog
01-03-2023, 02:55 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think Will is the best QB on our roster.

If we want our QB next year to be a running threat, I think it would be smart to look to the portal for a running threat QB.

If we don't land one, then I think our offense needs to be more tailored to avoid QB runs and be similar to the CML offense, but need improved play from Will, but I think he is the guy.

I would think this is the consensus of most rational fans about Will.

msudawglb
01-03-2023, 02:59 PM
If we land Briles you'll probably get that wish. And probably that stud TE they have too. He's got a year left, IIRC. It would be huge to have experienced players from this offense helping teach it.

Arnett comes across as someone who expects players to be tough and players to seize their opportunities and make plays. Nothing would upset a coach more than watching Will not being able to run, or sliding way early, or fumbling when he gets hit. (or that stupid flop thing Will did when he got nudged). I'm sure Arnett is ready to give Will some good competition and see who steps up. That has been one glaring weakness at MSU...lack of QB competition.

Political Hack
01-03-2023, 03:12 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I think Will is the best QB on our roster.

If we want our QB next year to be a running threat, I think it would be smart to look to the portal for a running threat QB.

If we don't land one, then I think our offense needs to be more tailored to avoid QB runs and be similar to the CML offense, but need improved play from Will, but I think he is the guy.

I would think this is the consensus of most rational fans about Will.

Agree. I'm hopeful he gets to finish out his Sr season with his team and finishes top 3-4 all time in passing. Seems like everyone would be hoping for that, but apparently a 9-win record breaking QB just ain't enough for Miss State fans anymore.

HancockCountyDog
01-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Agree. I'm hopeful he gets to finish out his Sr season with his team and finishes top 3-4 all time in passing. Seems like everyone would be hoping for that, but apparently a 9-win record breaking QB just ain't enough for Miss State fans anymore.

To be fair, at least two of those wins the defense gets the lion share of the credit and we won those games despite the offense/Will's shortcomings.

I think what most MSU fans feel is that we could have another really good defense next year, that is very senior laden and that we have window to get some stuff done next year, and if the offense really improves, we could win 10 games and get to a NY6 bowl.

It just comes down to whether our offense can improve.

tcdog70
01-03-2023, 03:51 PM

you do know that Michigan only scored 19 on Ill. i believe it was Will and the offense that scored on 4th down. Also Will and the offense that made the drive in the 4th quarter for the go-ahead FG. Come on with your bullshit--really Clark. our 9 wins were a result of team play--All 3 had their ups and downs this year. Will was the QB that led us to 9 wins---you can justify the wins however you want.

Really Clark?
01-03-2023, 04:27 PM
you do know that Michigan only scored 19 on Ill. i believe it was Will and the offense that scored on 4th down. Also Will and the offense that made the drive in the 4th quarter for the go-ahead FG. Come on with your bullshit--really Clark. our 9 wins were a result of team play--All 3 had their ups and downs this year. Will was the QB that led us to 9 wins---you can justify the wins however you want.

You do know Purdue scored 31 on them and just got humiliated by LSU.

Don't curse at me when you can't read numbskull. I said exactly that it was our team that got 9 wins this season. But nobody can honestly say that Will is the reason we won 9 and not be lying. It was our team, our defense and special teams that got us to 9. Not Will and the offense solely. And BTW, if Will doesn't throw the pick in the end zone early in the game, we wouldn't have needed a 4th down TD. Good for him but he and the offense were the reason that for 3 quarters we were sucking hind tit. No to mention the other pick. The defense and special teams was 85% of the reason we won yesterday. But my original post was mainly about the team on all sides have to be giving equal credit at a min. My statement on yesterdays game was a perfect example of how the season played out in general as a whole. Defense and special teams carried us more so than the offense.

EdwardDrayton
01-03-2023, 04:32 PM
Too soon.

NCDawg
01-03-2023, 05:55 PM

Congrats young man.

Totally agree. He can't run very well, but he is a very accurate passer. Leach recognized this and tried to recruit him when he was at WSU.

KOdawg1
01-03-2023, 10:17 PM

I never said anything about a backup. Will is the best QB on our team right now. I think he limits us and we could find someone better. Doesn't mean we will.

Not sure why you came up with 6 games or where that came from. Our defense alone sets the floor at 6 wins.

Lord McBuckethead
01-03-2023, 10:35 PM
Will win 4 games. The nonconference games.
I just don?t understand how we can compete with Bama, if our qb cannot make the defense get 15 yards off the ball.

Go back and watch our last 6 games and just see how the defense plays us. WRs couldn?t even keep running their routes. They all had to sit down inside 15-20 yards from scrimmage and wait on the ball pretty much 75% of the throws. Now go watch good offenses with players running 20 yard out routes and 40 yard post routes and getting hit in stride.

No one can beat Bama when Bama only has to guard 15-20 yards down field. They tackle immediately and wait for a busted route or other slight miscue. Not to mention, 14 play drives doesn?t happen and result in TDs consistently against anyone in the sec with a pulse on defense.

I love Will, but man he has to look down field and deliver. He has 9 months to get some serious arm strength. Which we all know, you either have it or you don?t from a early age.

RisperDawg
01-03-2023, 10:41 PM
Will win 4 games. The nonconference games.
I just don?t understand how we can compete with Bama, if our qb cannot make the defense get 15 yards off the ball.

Go back and watch our last 6 games and just see how the defense plays us. WRs couldn?t even keep running their routes. They all had to sit down inside 15-20 yards from scrimmage and wait on the ball pretty much 75% of the throws. Now go watch good offenses with players running 20 yard out routes and 40 yard post routes and getting hit in stride.

No one can beat Bama when Bama only has to guard 15-20 yards down field. They tackle immediately and wait for a busted route or other slight miscue. Not to mention, 14 play drives doesn?t happen and result in TDs consistently against anyone in the sec with a pulse on defense.

I love Will, but man he has to look down field and deliver. He has 9 months to get some serious arm strength. Which we all know, you either have it or you don?t from a early age.

He hit Tulu in stride on Monday. I don't know the depth of target but it seemed at least +15 yards. Catch wasn't made as it was well defended, but again, it hit him in the hands in stride. He seldom attempts these throws though.

NCDawg
01-03-2023, 10:49 PM

I know a lot of people will disagree, but I'd stick with Rogers.

DownwardDawg
01-04-2023, 12:21 AM
Will will be our QB next year. A good OC can do a lot with Will Rogers at the helm. Parson takes over in 2024 running an even more effective offense.

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 12:39 AM
Will will be our QB next year. A good OC can do a lot with Will Rogers at the helm. Parson takes over in 2024 running an even more effective offense.

This.

TaleofTwoDogs
01-04-2023, 02:18 AM

Don't forget to bring his 10,000 yards of passing yards to his table of skills. Just saying.

Todd4State
01-04-2023, 03:27 AM
Biscardi had big clutch kicks, yesterday, against auburn and om. He had multiple game winning fgs when he was at Coastal. His problem was always extra points, strange i know.

It's the darndest thing ever. Which is why Will had to run 7 yards to the 10 so we wouldn't be too close! Gotta love kickers.

HancockCountyDog
01-04-2023, 09:38 AM

I don't know why people think that he won't be here in 2024. He isn't a threat to leave for the NFL, and I think he would want to set the all time passing yard mark since he gets to take advantage of the covid year.

Commercecomet24
01-04-2023, 09:40 AM
It's the darndest thing ever. Which is why Will had to run 7 yards to the 10 so we wouldn't be too close! Gotta love kickers.

Lol yep! They're like closers in baseball. A flaky group at best!

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 09:41 AM
Lol yep! They're like closers in baseball. A flaky group at best!

You are being kind calling them flaky. Lol. Different breed for sure.

Maverick91
01-04-2023, 09:50 AM
Will is a great human, great ambassador for the school and state, great teammate. What Will is not, he is not a dynamic QB, he doesnt have a arm that makes defenses stay up at night, he doesnt have crazy pocket awareness, he doesn’t want to take the big hit for a big play… etc… some of the aforementioned probably can be argued with good reason. But it doesnt change the fact that he isnt a dynamic QB. His numbers are what they are due to volume of throws. I would love for Will to have the keys next year, I just dont think he will.

tcdog70
01-04-2023, 10:48 AM
You do know Purdue scored 31 on them and just got humiliated by LSU.

Don't curse at me when you can't read numbskull. I said exactly that it was our team that got 9 wins this season. But nobody can honestly say that Will is the reason we won 9 and not be lying. It was our team, our defense and special teams that got us to 9. Not Will and the offense solely. And BTW, if Will doesn't throw the pick in the end zone early in the game, we wouldn't have needed a 4th down TD. Good for him but he and the offense were the reason that for 3 quarters we were sucking hind tit. No to mention the other pick. The defense and special teams was 85% of the reason we won yesterday. But my original post was mainly about the team on all sides have to be giving equal credit at a min. My statement on yesterdays game was a perfect example of how the season played out in general as a whole. Defense and special teams carried us more so than the offense.

you do know Purdue only had a few Coaches left and had to bring in Drew to help. they were a team in disarray. if you think our offense didn't play a big part in the win-then your football IQ is pretty low.We drove for the win with under 2 minutes left. For sure in the first half -Will played pretty awful--but He played well and was clutch in the second half. Ok defense -won the game--but it was the offense that took control with under 2 minutes and scored ...

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 10:55 AM
you do know Purdue only had a few Coaches left and had to bring in Drew to help. they were a team in disarray. if you think our offense didn't play a big part in the win-then your football IQ is pretty low.We drove for the win with under 2 minutes left. For sure in the first half -Will played pretty awful--but He played well and was clutch in the second half. Ok defense -won the game--but it was the offense that took control with under 2 minutes and scored ...

Again and for the last time, the post I responded to alluded that it was Will's ability that won us 9 games this season. That is not an accurate statement. Nobody can honestly state that we won 9 games on our QB's shoulders this season. I love Will but I can be objective about how we won our games this year and how each portion of the team did to achieve that.

Jarius
01-04-2023, 12:57 PM
Anyone taking up for Will Rogers on the field play this year is quite frankly football illiterate. Our defense has carried this team all year. We won in spite of our quarterback against Illinois, Auburn, and Ole Miss. We are above average quarterback play away from being a really really good football team. It is obvious.

KOdawg1
01-04-2023, 01:01 PM
Anyone taking up for Will Rogers on the field play this year is quite frankly football illiterate. Our defense has carried this team all year. We won in spite of our quarterback against Illinois, Auburn, and Ole Miss. We are above average quarterback play away from being a really really good football team. It is obvious.

https://media.giphy.com/media/duM6JZemPlOjUyqmxd/giphy.gif

Lord McBuckethead
01-04-2023, 07:32 PM
Don't forget to bring his 10,000 yards of passing yards to his table of skills. Just saying.

With an average of like 5 yards per attempt. As many attempts as he has had, against 14 or so non-conference games and the 20 or so conference games, he should have 15k yards by now.

Lord McBuckethead
01-04-2023, 07:35 PM

Bingo. That is 100% correct. It is also unfortunate because Will is a great bulldog, but being a great bulldog doesn’t make it inaccurate.

Really Clark?
01-04-2023, 07:39 PM
With an average of like 5 yards per attempt. As many attempts as he has had, against 14 or so non-conference games and the 20 or so conference games, he should have 15k yards by now.

I get your point and know you were just throwing out a number but it is a little better. 6.5 this season and 6.9 last year for yards per attempt.

CaptainObvious
01-04-2023, 08:55 PM
To me the worst stat in football is yards per attempt. It?s just stupid. In basketball do we consider the average score for a player based on attempts or made field goals?

You cannot hold every single attempted but incomplete pass against the QB. There is a player on each end of that equation. Same with interceptions. I think a catchable ball that a receiver mishandled that ends up in a defenders hands should be called a fumble, not an interception. But I also think Santa lives in Antarctica, so what do I know.

smootness
01-04-2023, 10:50 PM
To me the worst stat in football is yards per attempt. It?s just stupid. In basketball do we consider the average score for a player based on attempts or made field goals?

You cannot hold every single attempted but incomplete pass against the QB. There is a player on each end of that equation. Same with interceptions. I think a catchable ball that a receiver mishandled that ends up in a defenders hands should be called a fumble, not an interception. But I also think Santa lives in Antarctica, so what do I know.

Huh? Yards per attempt is way more important than simply yards, just as FG% is way more important than simply points.

Tater
01-05-2023, 12:39 AM

Holy shit this is stupid. Like.... unbelievable dumb.

Basketball uses True Shooting % to weight 2/3 points against people and definitely looks at usage rate. 30 points on 30 shots is considered inefficient and not as impressive as 25 points on 15 shots.

You literally used one of the biggest changes to modern basketball understanding to make the opposite point you're trying to make. Like wow.

bulldawg28
01-05-2023, 03:08 AM
Will has terrible footwork which impacts everything he's trying to do. Honestly, if that were to improve he could be a legitimate and respectable SEC quarterback. It's obvious from watching and listening to Leach's philosophy that wasn't important.

louisvilledawg
01-05-2023, 10:22 AM
Since the Kentucky game (and excluding the ETSU game) Will's game averages:

30/48
259 yards
1.3 tds
.8 ints
2.5 sacks
5.4 ypa

Yuck. Something changed in that Kentucky game for him and his gameplay the rest of the season.

He was 8th in total qbr. His 6.5 YPA was .1 away from being DFL in SEC. He threw for the most yards in the sec, beating out Stetson Bennett by 151 yards - Stetson attempted 181 fewer passes than Will.

Objectively, Will wasn't good this year. We won the egg bowl and bowl game despite him. I'm tired of everyone treating him with kid gloves.

msstate7
01-05-2023, 10:26 AM
Will has terrible footwork which impacts everything he's trying to do. Honestly, if that were to improve he could be a legitimate and respectable SEC quarterback. It's obvious from watching and listening to Leach's philosophy that wasn't important.

He throws flat footed, a lot

Matt3467
01-05-2023, 10:30 AM
Will's stats in sec play vs OOC

SEC: 240/382 (63%)
14 td/4 int and 6 fumbles
2240 yds
280 ypg
5.9 ypa
59.6 QBR or 123 RTG (whichever you prefer)

OOC: 175/228 (77%)
21 td/4 int and 2 fumbles
1734 yds
346.8 ypg
7.6 ypa
70.8 QBR or 167.6 RTG

On average if he played a full SEC schedule his stats would be:
390/621 (63%)
23 td/7 int and 10 fumbles
3640 yds
same ypg, ypa, QBR and RTG as SEC above

basedog
01-05-2023, 10:31 AM
He throws flat footed, a lot

Hmmm, I'm not buying he has bad foot work, many times he is getting rid of the ball and there isn't much to do with foot work as it is squaring up and touch. If you never played QB then you shouldn't discuss fundamentals.

msstate7
01-05-2023, 10:33 AM
Hmmm, I'm not buying he has bad foot work, many times he is getting rid of the ball and there isn't much to do with foot work as it is squaring up and touch. If you never played QB then you shouldn't discuss fundamentals.
Lol, wut... Andy Reid never played qb either

Just watch his feet in the bowl game. He throws the ball with both feet planted a lot.

Matt3467
01-05-2023, 10:33 AM
I wish there was somewhere I could get his statistics for throwing while on the run. I know that would be eye opening.

basedog
01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Lol, wut... Andy Reid never played qb either

Just watch his feet in the bowl game. He throws the ball with both feet planted a lot.

Never heard Andy Reid discuss footwork with QB's either, he has a QB Coach. Flat footed may be on certain throws but Rogers doesn't have bad foot work overall. Mecanicas isn't always the same with every QB, same with a baseball pitcher or even a shooter in basketball. You can tweet fundamentals but it's not the same for everyone. Hell look at golf for another example. Arnold Palmer swing was weird!

msstate7
01-05-2023, 10:52 AM
Never heard Andy Reid discuss footwork with QB's either, he has a QB Coach. Flat footed may be on certain throws but Rogers doesn't have bad foot work overall. Mecanicas isn't always the same with every QB, same with a baseball pitcher or even a shooter in basketball. You can tweet fundamentals but it's not the same for everyone. Hell look at golf for another example. Arnold Palmer swing was weird!

I said he throws flat footed a lot, and that's what you quoted me on. That's all I said. He does, and that's a fact

ETA... Reid is/was a qb coach. Leach didn't play football qb either.

KOdawg1
01-05-2023, 11:20 AM

He's got bad footwork. Many times, he just stops his feet all together and then delivers a throw.

msstate7
01-05-2023, 11:27 AM
He's got bad footwork. Many times, he just stops his feet all together and then delivers a throw.

And this could be one of the issues with velocity on the ball

EdwardDrayton
01-05-2023, 11:31 AM

Just ask Will about his footwork. He should know cuz he looks at his feet a lot.

basedog
01-05-2023, 11:44 AM

Joe Namath says "hold my beer".

basedog
01-05-2023, 11:46 AM
And this could be one of the issues with velocity on the ball

LOL, u should go place a bet in Vegas, u seem to know more or little more than QB's, LOL

Matt3467
01-05-2023, 11:50 AM
I do see Will throwing falling away backwards on his backfoot often enough. Never been a QB so I'm not the best when it comes to footwork but I know that's not right. I could be wrong but I've always assumed good footwork and pocket mobility went hand in hand and he has no pocket mobility. I know he's not the fastest guy or most athletic (although I think he may have hit a 40 pr when he tucked tail and ran backwards from a sack vs OM) but there's been guys just as slow that work the pocket so well. It always pains me to not see him step up into the pocket and remain a sitting target.

bulldawg28
01-05-2023, 12:34 PM

You can't square up with bad footwork and Will has terrible footwork. He rarely even climbs the pocket to throw.

662dawg
01-05-2023, 01:39 PM
You can't square up with bad footwork and Will has terrible footwork. He rarely even climbs the pocket to throw.

I think Will's footwork hurts him worse than his arm strength. It's as bad as I've ever seen among SEC QB's. It's correctable but it takes time, something he's running out of.

trob115
01-05-2023, 01:47 PM
I think Will's footwork hurts him worse than his arm strength. It's as bad as I've ever seen among SEC QB's. It's correctable but it takes time, something he's running out of.

Bingo! And it baffles me he hasn't fixed it. I'm not sure if the coaches were working with him on correcting it or not, but if he threw with good form, he would have a lot more zip on his throws. He doesn't have the strongest arm anyway, but with bad form it decreases velocity and distance.

bulldawg28
01-05-2023, 02:02 PM

Agreed 1000%.

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 02:04 PM
I've never coached qbs but I have coached a lot of pitchers in my day and while not an expert I know throwing mechanics fairly well. I went and rewatched the game last night and just focused on Wills throws. When Will actually uses his lower body he has pretty good arm strength. One example on the next to last drive in the 4th quarter he threw about a 12 yard out from one hash to the other side of the field and the ball had plenty of zip on it and was right on the money. That's a tough throw and he made it with ease because he used his lower and drove the ball to that spot. On the downside Will sometimes gets lazy with his lower half and his motion becomes elongated(not just him this is a fairly common flaw in young throwers, Dart does it as well as many others) and he doesn't have enough natural arm strength to compensate for not using his lower half and that's when you will see the looping throws that are usually overthrown. Heck my youngest son used to drive me crazy because his velo would be all over the place for this very reason. He would throw bb's for an inning and then all of a sudden his velo and commmand would be down and then all of a sudden it would comeback(inconsistent with the lower half). Will made some really impressive throws with velo and accuracy Monday and then he made some terrible throws because he didn't engage the lower half and drive the ball. So many young pitchers/qbs are just not consistent with the lower half and keeping their motion short,compact and powerful. Just watch Tom Brady as an example. Dude is 46 years old and can still wing it because he steps into every throw with a short compact delivery and drives the ball. In baseball we call it a repeatable delivery and that's what ever pitcher(and qb) should strive because it gives you consistent velo and accuracy. Just my observations(which don't count for much)because there are certainly people that now way more than me.

bulldawg28
01-05-2023, 02:10 PM
I've never coached qbs but I have coached a lot of pitchers in my day and while not an expert I know throwing mechanics fairly well. I went and rewatched the game last night and just focused on Wills throws. When Will actually uses his lower body he has pretty good arm strength. One example on the next to last drive in the 4th quarter he threw about a 12 yard out from one hash to the other side of the field and the ball had plenty of zip on it and was right on the money. That's a tough throw and he made it with ease because he used his lower and drove the ball to that spot. On the downside Will sometimes gets lazy with his lower half and his motion becomes elongated(not just him this is a fairly common flaw in young throwers, Dart does it as well as many others) and he doesn't have enough natural arm strength to compensate for not using his lower half and that's when you will see the looping throws that are usually overthrown. Heck my youngest son used to drive me crazy because his velo would be all over the place for this very reason. He would throw bb's for an inning and then all of a sudden his velo and commmand would be down and then all of a sudden it would comeback(inconsistent with the lower half). Will made some really impressive throws with velo and accuracy Monday and then he made some terrible throws because he didn't engage the lower half and drive the ball. So many young pitchers/qbs are just not consistent with the lower half and keeping their motion short,compact and powerful. Just watch Tom Brady as an example. Dude is 46 years old and can still wing it because he steps into every throw with a short compact delivery and drives the ball. In baseball we call it a repeatable delivery and that's what ever pitcher(and qb) should strive because it gives you consistent velo and accuracy. Just my observations(which don't count for much)because there are certainly people that now way more than me.

Great analysis.... now go coach Will!

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 02:14 PM

Thanks, I will tell you pitchers are extremely hard headed and want to do things their way, so I'm sure qbs are too! I've had a lot of success with young players and its amazing to watch them grow and learn and then say "hey coach you were right". Some get it and some don't.

BiscuitEater
01-05-2023, 02:17 PM
Our backups are at this point not as good as our starter, which is part of the issue with a room with two strong 4 stars. Our QB room may indeed be one big miss unless Parson is the real deal.

'What' backups? They are leaving ... via portal.

662dawg
01-05-2023, 02:19 PM

LMAO

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 02:30 PM

Will retreats and rolls right at any hint of pressure. Stepping up more and delivering the ball would help a lot.

BrunswickDawg
01-05-2023, 02:31 PM

Sounds like he needs to follow this guy's lead:

https://media3.giphy.com/media/YRE1Du6ewxjFOG1RN9/giphy.gif

basedog
01-05-2023, 02:32 PM
I have to laugh as many comments about foot work, ket me say this, Will is gonna continue to be what he is, now can he improve, of course. I've been way more concerned with dropped passes the last few years than Rogers foot work. One thing I will say, Will is a winner, you don't put up the numbers like he has with having "a problem" with foot work. It works for him and many other QB's with faults. Hell Patrick Mahomes throws from all kinda different angles, off balance, side arm, under arm, leaving his feet to throw as well as having perfection in form.
Will's footwork isn't his problem, again he is what he is and that is a winner.

Btw, if there is a better QB next year, I'm for it, but I'm doubting there will be and believe me, in private I have doubts at time, but I ain't gonna blast him publicly like many.
Enough from me, carry on and I hope like hell win win 9 games next year with a QB who has terrible fundamentals.

I surely feel for Bucky, I can understand him defending Will. I imagine I will be reading some bad things about my grandson this spring.

Goldendawg
01-05-2023, 02:32 PM

He definitely stops his feet when he attempts to run.

basedog
01-05-2023, 02:33 PM
Will retreats and rolls right at any hint of pressure. Stepping up more and delivering the ball would help a lot.

I'm not doubting that. But he does pretty well overall.

Commercecomet24
01-05-2023, 02:33 PM
Sounds like he needs to follow this guy's lead:

https://media3.giphy.com/media/YRE1Du6ewxjFOG1RN9/giphy.gif

Dak definitely has figured it out. His throwing mechanics early in his State career were pretty bad. Guy worked his butt of to get where he's at.

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 02:34 PM
Delete

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 02:40 PM

Most throwing motions I?ve ever been taught have been based off good footwork. More accuracy and more power!

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 02:50 PM
I'm not doubting that. But he does pretty well overall.

Look. Will is not a bad and is a winner with great attitude. He?s the best we got. But don?t come on here saying he can throw like Mahomes and be ok. People like Mahomes and Rodgers are ultra talented with guns. Their talent lets them get away with what they do. Brady isn?t as talented as them, but he has pocket awareness, good mechanics, super accurate, and a brain. Will should emulate him.

And for the record, I don’t think we are bashing, Will. I think what we are talking about would help his arm strength mostly and accuracy( which is still pretty good).

basedog
01-05-2023, 02:59 PM
Look. Will is not a bad and is a winner with great attitude. He?s the best we got. But don?t come on here saying he can throw like Mahomes and be ok. People like Mahomes and Rodgers are ultra talented with guns. Their talent lets them get away with what they do. Brady isn?t as talented as them, but he has pocket awareness, good mechanics, super accurate, and a brain. Will should emulate him.

And for the record, I don’t think we are bashing, Will. I think what we are talking about would help his arm strength mostly and accuracy( which is still pretty good).

Wasn't comparing him to anyone, just saying some QB have issues that work. I didn't blast anyone either, but I'm tired of reading the bashing Rogers takes overall. That is my point.

I understand what many are saying. I also realize he has some issues, so what, we all do! LOL

Bdawg
01-05-2023, 03:05 PM
Wasn't comparing him to anyone, just saying some QB have issues that work. I didn't blast anyone either, but I'm tired of reading the bashing Rogers takes overall. That is my point.

I understand what many are saying. I also realize he has some issues, so what, we all do! LOL

True that! I just want Will to be his best because as of late, he hasn’t played his best. And he has said the same.

StarkVegasSteve
01-05-2023, 03:05 PM
It's probably already been discussed so sorry if so as I am coming into this thread late. Will's issue is that he's scared to get hit. He is scared to step up in the pocket and let someone hit him under the chin while delivering a strike. Will's mechanics are fine and if you give him a clean pocket to throw he's good. Problem is we play in the SEC. There's no such thing as a clean pocket all the time. If Will feels pressure he immediately either A) eats it and takes a sack or B) floats it off his back foot. So you either have to roll the pocket and let him step into throws that way or you have get him outside the pocket which is the probably the least likely of the solutions because he's a statue. We are gonna need an elite play caller and schemer to be able to mask Will's deficiencies for another season. And that's not impossible. Dan masked both Relf and Fitz's deficiencies when everyone knew EXACTLY who they were as QBs.

And again, this is nothing against Will as a person. He's a great kid and great ambassador for the University.

MaroonFlounder
01-05-2023, 04:07 PM
And BTW, if Will doesn't throw the pick in the end zone early in the game, we wouldn't have needed a 4th down TD.
No to mention the other pick.

The 1st INT was tipped.

And the 2nd was as good as a punt. It was on 3rd and Long

basedog
01-05-2023, 04:23 PM
True that! I just want Will to be his best because as of late, he hasn’t played his best. And he has said the same.

I agree!

Lord McBuckethead
01-05-2023, 05:48 PM
That is all we all want to happen, is Will Rogers play exceptionally well.
No one is disputing it. No one is rooting against him. We are all rooting for MSU.

But.... there are reasons why we played in the Reliaquest Bowl and not in the college football playoff and QB play is the biggest piece.

Percho
01-05-2023, 06:22 PM
I have to laugh as many comments about foot work, ket me say this, Will is gonna continue to be what he is, now can he improve, of course. I've been way more concerned with dropped passes the last few years than Rogers foot work. One thing I will say, Will is a winner, you don't put up the numbers like he has with having "a problem" with foot work. It works for him and many other QB's with faults. Hell Patrick Mahomes throws from all kinda different angles, off balance, side arm, under arm, leaving his feet to throw as well as having perfection in form.
Will's footwork isn't his problem, again he is what he is and that is a winner.

Btw, if there is a better QB next year, I'm for it, but I'm doubting there will be and believe me, in private I have doubts at time, but I ain't gonna blast him publicly like many.
Enough from me, carry on and I hope like hell win win 9 games next year with a QB who has terrible fundamentals.

I surely feel for Bucky, I can understand him defending Will. I imagine I will be reading some bad things about my grandson this spring.

Excellent post Base

James 3:1-12 should be read by many before posting.

BuckyIsAB****
01-05-2023, 06:56 PM
It's probably already been discussed so sorry if so as I am coming into this thread late. Will's issue is that he's scared to get hit. He is scared to step up in the pocket and let someone hit him under the chin while delivering a strike. Will's mechanics are fine and if you give him a clean pocket to throw he's good. Problem is we play in the SEC. There's no such thing as a clean pocket all the time. If Will feels pressure he immediately either A) eats it and takes a sack or B) floats it off his back foot. So you either have to roll the pocket and let him step into throws that way or you have get him outside the pocket which is the probably the least likely of the solutions because he's a statue. We are gonna need an elite play caller and schemer to be able to mask Will's deficiencies for another season. And that's not impossible. Dan masked both Relf and Fitz's deficiencies when everyone knew EXACTLY who they were as QBs.

And again, this is nothing against Will as a person. He's a great kid and great ambassador for the University.

He def has a habit of scrambling out or backwards instead of stepping up. But he has gotten absolutely destroyed in the pocket the past few years against good teams. The problem isnt his toughness. The problem is all over. Will OL and WRs. Our WRs disappeared in just about every big game we have played since 2020. Physical secondaries eat us up. Teams figured out they could put 6 in the box and play man free and it was trouble for us. Leach rules were 6 in the box=throw it. And our WRs couldnt separate

bulldawg28
01-05-2023, 07:10 PM
He definitely stops his feet when he attempts to run.

Lol...mannnn.

Jarius
01-06-2023, 12:51 PM
The 1st INT was tipped.

And the 2nd was as good as a punt. It was on 3rd and Long

And we scored 13 offensive points. He was awful. Again. Just like he was in most of the SEC games he played. He's not any good in the SEC. Period.

StarkVegasSteve
01-06-2023, 01:19 PM
And we scored 13 offensive points. He was awful. Again. Just like he was in most of the SEC games he played. He's not any good in the SEC. Period.

I'm not saying he's great but to say he's not good is going completely the other direction. He's a solid SEC QB. He's going to keep you in games and he may even win you some games, but he'll also lose you some. We should look to upgrade if the opportunity is there. But don't just bring unnecessary competition and risk Will leaving. Because I guarantee you don't want true Freshman Chris Parson starting.

bulldawg28
01-06-2023, 01:27 PM
I'm not saying he's great but to say he's not good is going completely the other direction. He's a solid SEC QB. He's going to keep you in games and he may even win you some games, but he'll also lose you some. We should look to upgrade if the opportunity is there. But don't just bring unnecessary competition and risk Will leaving. Because I guarantee you don't want true Freshman Chris Parson starting.

TBD...

Prediction? Pain.
01-06-2023, 01:44 PM

Losing points on that first interception was a bummer, especially since it capped off one of our only decent drives of the first half. And Will certainly wasn't as good in that half overall as he could have been. But our offensive output against Illinois really wasn't that bad under the circumstances. As I said in another thread, Illinois' defense is elite:

Scoring D: 1st nationally
Total D: 3rd nationally
Opponents' yards-per-play: 2nd nationally
Opposing Passer Rating: 1st nationally
Red Zone TD% D: 1st nationally
% of opponents' drives that end in TDs: 2nd nationally
3rd down % D: 9th nationally
Total INT: 1st nationally

Seven of the 12 teams they played before us scored less than 13 points, and three of the other five barely scored more than us. (Minnesota scored 14, Michigan St. scored 15, and Michigan scored 19.) Only four of the 13 teams they played this season scored more than one TD against them.

Also, we moved the ball on them better than anyone all season -- we put up more yards (390) and yards per play (5.82) on Illinois than any other team, including Michigan's Top 10 offense. And Will's passer rating against them was the third highest of any opposing QB all season.

So even if the offense was frustrating to watch, especially in the first half, I don't think it's fair to say that it just sucked without explanation or that Will was abysmal.

And as for "he's not any good in the SEC," that sort of ignores 2021, doesn't it? Our offense was in the top third of the conference in SEC-only total offense, scoring offense, and 3rd down %, and Will was 6th in the conference in SEC-only QB rating. Not elite, but certainly a solid, competitive SEC offense.

msstate7
01-06-2023, 01:53 PM
Probably worth noting at least 2 of their best defenders (CBs) sat out. Of course we were without rara.

Also interesting, Will's last game with a passer rating of at least 140 was ark 10/8. I threw out Etsu

Prediction? Pain.
01-06-2023, 02:19 PM
Probably worth noting at least 2 of their best defenders (CBs) sat out. Of course we were without rara.

Also interesting, Will's last game with a passer rating of at least 140 was ark 10/8. I threw out Etsu

No doubt. But I sort of view it as a wash -- they were missing two of their best DBs and their DC, we were missing our HC/OC, our leading receiver, and our co-starting RB.

Re: Will's passer rating, that may have something to do with the competition. In the six FBS games after we played Arkansas, four of our opponents were in the Top 15 nationally in total defense and the Top 20 nationally in FEI defense rating. (And three of the four were in the Top 5 in defensive FEI.) Those four teams combined had eight games where they allowed opposing QBs to have passer ratings above 140. And four of those eight games included Tennessee (x2), LSU, and Ohio St. (The other four were S. Car., Texas, and two random cupcakes.) And of course Illinois allowed zero QBs to get that high. Also, Auburn, one of our other two FBS games in the back half, only allowed four QBs to cross 140, and two of those were Bryce Young at Bama and Sean Clifford at Penn. St. Will ended that game with a 135.

Todd4State
01-06-2023, 03:45 PM
No doubt. But I sort of view it as a wash -- they were missing two of their best DBs and their DC, we were missing our HC/OC, our leading receiver, and our co-starting RB.

Re: Will's passer rating, that may have something to do with the competition. In the six FBS games after we played Arkansas, four of our opponents were in the Top 15 nationally in total defense and the Top 20 nationally in FEI defense rating. (And three of the four were in the Top 5 in defensive FEI.) Those four teams combined had eight games where they allowed opposing QBs to have passer ratings above 140. And four of those eight games included Tennessee (x2), LSU, and Ohio St. (The other four were S. Car., Texas, and two random cupcakes.) And of course Illinois allowed zero QBs to get that high. Also, Auburn, one of our other two FBS games in the back half, only allowed four QBs to cross 140, and two of those were Bryce Young at Bama and Sean Clifford at Penn. St. Will ended that game with a 135.

Really good stuff!

NCDawg
01-06-2023, 06:21 PM
He def has a habit of scrambling out or backwards instead of stepping up. But he has gotten absolutely destroyed in the pocket the past few years against good teams. The problem isnt his toughness. The problem is all over. Will OL and WRs. Our WRs disappeared in just about every big game we have played since 2020. Physical secondaries eat us up. Teams figured out they could put 6 in the box and play man free and it was trouble for us. Leach rules were 6 in the box=throw it. And our WRs couldnt separate

I think this is pretty accurate. I agree Rogers doesn't move around very well, but if you give him time, he's very accurate and will complete passes most of the time. Of course like the above poster says, our W/R's disappear sometimes in the big games and he obviously can't complete passes if nobody gets open.

MaroonFlounder
01-07-2023, 12:26 PM

I thought he was pretty damn good against A&M and Arkansas. The key was healthy RB threat.