PDA

View Full Version : Look how many Oklahoma fans traveled to Florida

CaptainObvious
12-29-2022, 06:04 PM
For the Cheezit Bowl for a 6-6 team. And we will probably have 10,000 fans down there. Yes, I realize most of the crowd is FSU fans but you can hear a huge OU contingent as well.

Leroy Jenkins
12-29-2022, 06:20 PM
9-3 vs 6-6?

Win or lose, FSU deserves a better opponent.

But it's the best game on.

CaptainObvious
12-29-2022, 07:16 PM
The matchup and fan support traveling to the game is a big winner for Orlando. I think we will see more of this in the Non- playoff bowls.

ESPN might not have a problem with empty stadiums and empty hotels and restaurants but Chambers of Commerce sure do!!!

RocketDawg
12-29-2022, 07:31 PM
9-3 vs 6-6?

Win or lose, FSU deserves a better opponent.

I thought that was a little strange as well. But it's worked out well as far as fans go. I think it's the only bowl game I've seen so far that had a full house, or close to it. Pretty good game.

RocketDawg
12-29-2022, 08:52 PM
Good game with a couple of lead changes. And it's about to change again with FSU adding either a FG or TD to take the lead. FSU just had a heckuva catch.

Cooterpoot
12-29-2022, 08:57 PM
If OK was playing IL, they'd watch on TV. If we played FSU or ND, we'd have a lot show up. We'll have a decent showing.

Leroy Jenkins
12-29-2022, 09:03 PM
Sunbelt Billy got his hands full for the next few years.

RocketDawg
12-29-2022, 09:07 PM
Sunbelt Billy got his hands full for the next few years.

I think so too. Norvell seems to have FSU back on the right track. Pretty nice win for them tonight.

schddog72
12-29-2022, 09:34 PM
For the Cheezit Bowl for a 6-6 team. And we will probably have 10,000 fans down there. Yes, I realize most of the crowd is FSU fans but you can hear a huge OU contingent as well.

Well, if you've spent an entire season in Norman, OK, anyone would be happy to get down to sunny Florida. . . . .

Johnson85
12-30-2022, 10:28 AM

Besides the difference in fan base sizes, I suspect a lot of that is that going to Florida is a treat for Oklahoma fans. We probably have a decent portion of our fan base that goes to florida more than once a year. Granted, not Tampa, but I think mentally it makes a difference. They're going somewhere they'd like to go anyway and that will likely be warmer than where they are. For MSU fans, it will be going somewhere they are sort of going to in a few months.

Then as mentioned, FSU is still a big name school. It's shocking how irrelevant Illinois is in football. Seems like they have everything needed to be good in football and basketball between nearby population and money. They've got three times as many people in the Chicago MSA than in all of Mississippi. There's another 2 million in the Indianapolis MSA just two hours away.

Maroonthirteen
12-30-2022, 08:14 PM
That's a good point about State fans been there and done that regarding Florida. Also make no mistake State just doesn't have as many football fans compared to Oklahoma. However for whatever reason, there was a problem with attendance for the few State fans that do follow State athletics. We simply had poor showings all year. If we have 10k for this bowl game, I'll be shocked.

CaptainObvious
12-30-2022, 08:59 PM
That's a good point about State fans been there and done that regarding Florida. Also make no mistake State just doesn't have as many football fans compared to Oklahoma. However for whatever reason, there was a problem with attendance for the few State fans that do follow State athletics. We simply had poor showings all year. If we have 10k for this bowl game, I'll be shocked.

If we have 10,000, I?ll be disappointed. And so should our team, staff and administration. No need for anyone to complain about finishing in the lower half of the league when we have players who stick with their commitments and even have Likely draft picks playing. Maybe we can get the Liberty or Birmingham Bowl next year so State fans can make a day trip out of it.

99jc
12-30-2022, 09:11 PM
i am flying out tomorrow with my wife....hail state

CaptainObvious
12-30-2022, 09:35 PM
i am flying out tomorrow with my wife....hail state

I am driving to a Birmingham Sunday and flying to Tampa that afternoon. It works better for me because of cost compared to flying out of Jackson. Plus, I will be working in Birmingham Wednesday and Thursday when I fly back from Tampa.