PDA

View Full Version : New non OC hire

Chuck3124
12-29-2022, 04:02 PM
Apparently we?ve hired an offensive position coach. Anybody heard who it might be? Robbie Faulk put it out there but no name was mentioned

662dawg
12-29-2022, 04:20 PM
247 is pretty stupid. They do this stuff a lot. Why even say anything if you aren't going to say who it is? Lol. Nobody digs the cryptic garbage.

TrapGame
12-29-2022, 04:24 PM
I've heard it's Bumphis.

Commercecomet24
12-29-2022, 04:35 PM
247 is pretty stupid. They do this stuff a lot. Why even say anything if you aren't going to say who it is? Lol. Nobody digs the cryptic garbage.

Yeah I hate that about the media, they play all these stupid mind games, of course i guess they're going for clicks.

Coach34
12-29-2022, 04:57 PM
I've heard it's Bumphis.

Either him or Arnett's buddy Lindley being brought in to coach QB's

Leroy Jenkins
12-29-2022, 05:00 PM
I've heard it's Bumphis.

No way anything this nice happens to me.

yjnkdawg
12-29-2022, 05:06 PM
My vote would be Lindley as that has pretty much been a certainty that he would be on CZA's staff.

Cooterpoot
12-29-2022, 05:23 PM
Lindley is coming but it's not him

msstate7
12-29-2022, 05:28 PM
I've heard it's Bumphis.

This would make sense why it's being a secret. Not causing a distraction for utah bout to play in rose

ZedFedder
12-29-2022, 05:28 PM
We must know who our OC is, then.

Bully54
12-29-2022, 05:30 PM
It’s not Lindley. It’s Bump

yjnkdawg
12-29-2022, 05:36 PM
This would make sense why it's being a secret. Not causing a distraction for utah bout to play in rose

I know they want clicks on the paid site, but does that cause any distraction concerning "our" bowl preparation?

raymonddawg
12-29-2022, 05:38 PM
I've heard that we've agreed with Bumphis several days ago, but it's hush hush until after Utah's bowl game. Not sure if this is related.

chef dixon
12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Is bumphis/family itching to get back to MS?

Goldendawg
12-29-2022, 06:13 PM
Is bumphis/family itching to get back to MS?

Bumphis's wife caught him watching "Sister Wifes" and thought he was getting ideas there in Utah. Said, Hail No, MSU, we are coming home!"****

State82
12-29-2022, 06:20 PM
Bumphis's wife caught him watching "Sister Wifes" and thought he was getting ideas there in Utah. Said, Hail No, MSU, we are coming home!"****

Nice!

TheLostDawg
12-29-2022, 06:25 PM
This seems like an underwhelming hire. Can someone get me excited about this

DEDawg
12-29-2022, 06:26 PM

feel the same

msstate7
12-29-2022, 06:33 PM
An ex-bulldog who has been part of a staff that's going to its 2nd consecutive rose bowl.

Vandownbytheriver
12-29-2022, 06:37 PM
Yeah I hate that about the media, they play all these stupid mind games, of course i guess they're going for clicks.

I'm not sure media is the correct word for what 247 is. They are tabloid coverage at best. All of those types of "news sites" are that way.

HoopsDawg
12-29-2022, 07:31 PM

I don't get it? This is great news. Former bulldog. Former Tupelo player. Did a great job coaching Wide Receivers at Utah. Take the win.

Leroy Jenkins
12-29-2022, 07:56 PM

If you don't inherently know why it's good; I don't think it can be explained to your satisfaction.

LibraryDawg
12-29-2022, 07:58 PM
This means Hollingshed and/or spurrier are gone you would think. One would think it?s spurrier since he?s not getting the OC job. Didn?t Hollingshed coach QBs as a GA before being hired when Nichols left?

Westdawg
12-29-2022, 08:03 PM
Here?s something that we all should consider:

Whether you like him the most or not, Chad is very well known and respected by the younger HS coaches in the state of MS, he grew up here in MS, played college here at State, and went off and made a name for himself as a position coach in a VERY WELL RESPECTED P5 program and a HC/staff that has been successful at a very high level for years.
Coach Hughes has been THE GUY for MS HS recruiting for the better part of 15+ years, but he?s long in the tooth and we?ve got to look long term.
With Bumphis, you get a guy that knows the state, has garnered great respect from this younger generation of coaches, and probably keeps us in great shape with more HS programs than most of you guys can imagine. There?s a lot of young coaches that have mentioned him the past year or two hoping he might get a chance to come home. We have our neighbors to the Roth wanting to thumb their noses at a lot of kids in state. If ZA does what he has intimated to others about priority focus in state, we could do far worse than Bumphis.

Westdawg
12-29-2022, 08:06 PM
If we keep hold of Rod Gibson, have Brad Peterson coming back, retain Coach Hughes, and pull in Bumphis, we may very well see the most intense in state recruiting we?ve ever witnessed at MSU

Leroy Jenkins
12-29-2022, 08:12 PM
If we keep hold of Rod Gibson, have Brad Peterson coming back, retain Coach Hughes, and pull in Bumphis, we may very well see the most intense in state recruiting we?ve ever witnessed at MSU

Then the kids get NIL'ed out from under us in the end anyway.* Only half joking.

KOdawg1
12-29-2022, 10:55 PM

Bumphis? Forget the fact that he played here. He's currently a P5 WR coach at a school that just won the Pac12 and is playing in its second straight Rose Bowl. His receivers put up good numbers too.

Okay, now we can talk about the fact that he played for us, grew up in Tupelo, Mississippi, and would be a helluva recruiter for us. If we're going to emphasize in-state recruiting, we've got to have guys from here that can sell what we have to offer. Bump would be a terrific hire.

Coach34
12-29-2022, 11:16 PM

The excitement about Bump is also because Tony wants to hang it up and retire or have a desk job for another year or two.

TheLostDawg
12-29-2022, 11:32 PM
Bumphis? Forget the fact that he played here. He's currently a P5 WR coach at a school that just won the Pac12 and is playing in its second straight Rose Bowl. His receivers put up good numbers too.

Okay, now we can talk about the fact that he played for us, grew up in Tupelo, Mississippi, and would be a helluva recruiter for us. If we're going to emphasize in-state recruiting, we've got to have guys from here that can sell what we have to offer. Bump would be a terrific hire.

I get the recruiting part. However I want the off field staff the be the best recruiters we can get and on field staff to be the best player developers we can get which by the way if we're getting guys from Mississippi then that's what's going to be needed to compete. If we could get good recruiters that are on field coaches and top notch developers then great. I'm just not aware of who Bumphis has really developed other than maybe one guy. Winning and money is going to help the school recruit. Off the field staff killing it at recruiting is a must. But if you're getting kids from Mississippi you need more than just a recruiter and someone that can run drills. You need a developer. Now if we get a slam dunk OC that can help develop Bumphis into a great wr coach then great, take that gamble but right now I feel he's being chosen because he is a Mississippi kid who played at state.
All that being said, I'm sure he's at least an average coach considering his history. I don't see him being lazy. I just hope he can elevate guys to becoming draft picks.

DeputyDawg94
12-29-2022, 11:49 PM
Bump hates OM almost as much as I do. I think him and Brandon Walker did a pod a few years ago and he made it plainly clear how much he despised those douche bags in Oxford. I hope he makes it home.

CaptainObvious
12-30-2022, 12:29 AM
3/4 of the world is covered by water. The other 1/4 is covered by SMOOT-SMOOT-SMOOT!!!

If we are getting the band back together might as well bring in the best DB we ever had to coach DBs!

Smoot Cornerbacks
Banks Safeties
Chaney or Wright Linebackers

Bumphis WRs
Lee Tight Ends
Boobie RBs

Just kidding of course on some of these.

Westdawg
12-30-2022, 12:49 AM
I keep hearing ?Bumphis hasn?t coached anyone up to get to the league??..
He?s taking midline 3 star talent and developing it to the point it has helped his team be the best in the PAC this year and one of the most successful teams out west since he?s been there. Kyle Wittingham isn?t gonna keep dead weight on that staff. That tells me a lot that KW has kept Bumphis around. I think some of y?all are selling Bump short just because he played here. He?s been earning his stripes the right way.

BeardoMSU
12-30-2022, 12:50 AM
2/3 of the world is covered by water. The other 1/3 is covered by SMOOT-SMOOT-SMOOT!!!

If we are getting the band back together might as well bring in the best DB we ever had to coach DBs!

Smoot Cornerbacks
Banks Safeties

Bumphis WRs
Lee Tight Ends
Boobie RBs

Fify...both in terms of geography and quote accuracy, lol. :)

Lord McBuckethead
12-30-2022, 12:54 AM
3/4 of the world is covered by water. The other 1/4 is covered by SMOOT-SMOOT-SMOOT!!!

Smoot Cornerbacks
Banks Safeties

Bumphis WRs
Lee Tight Ends
Boobie RBs

I don?t see why not. Keep Miller as OL coach And get someone OC that wants to win.

SmokeyDawg
12-30-2022, 01:11 AM

Smoot Cornerbacks
Banks Safeties

Bumphis WRs
Lee Tight Ends
Boobie RBs

I bet Smoot could recruit. Would bring a whole new meaning to "getting in the boat"

StarkVegasSteve
12-30-2022, 08:07 AM

Smoot Cornerbacks
Banks Safeties

Bumphis WRs
Lee Tight Ends
Boobie RBs

I would hope you are just kidding on all of them except one. Chaney coaching LBs would be a hell of a get. Napier poached him from us and one thing I can promise you is that Napier hires guys who can recruit. Chaney also has South Florida ties that would help us get in the game with some prospects in that area.

WinningIsRelentless
12-30-2022, 08:41 AM
The excitement about Bump is also because Tony wants to hang it up and retire or have a desk job for another year or two.

Word is Jay and Tony are going to swap positions.

Westdawg
12-30-2022, 10:27 AM
Word is Jay and Tony are going to swap positions.

Ehhhhhhh?..I hope you?re not serious

Johnson85
12-30-2022, 10:43 AM
Fify...both in terms of geography and quote accuracy, lol. :)

You may have made it geographically accurate, but I'm pretty sure the quote is "2/3s of the earth is covered by water, the other half is covered by Smoot."

Johnson85
12-30-2022, 10:48 AM
I get the recruiting part. However I want the off field staff the be the best recruiters we can get and on field staff to be the best player developers we can get which by the way if we're getting guys from Mississippi then that's what's going to be needed to compete. If we could get good recruiters that are on field coaches and top notch developers then great. I'm just not aware of who Bumphis has really developed other than maybe one guy. Winning and money is going to help the school recruit. Off the field staff killing it at recruiting is a must. But if you're getting kids from Mississippi you need more than just a recruiter and someone that can run drills. You need a developer. Now if we get a slam dunk OC that can help develop Bumphis into a great wr coach then great, take that gamble but right now I feel he's being chosen because he is a Mississippi kid who played at state.
All that being said, I'm sure he's at least an average coach considering his history. I don't see him being lazy. I just hope he can elevate guys to becoming draft picks.

That's great in theory, but I think in reality players want to be recruited by on field coaches. Maybe NIL changes that dynamic and recruiters start to look slightly more like corporate recruiters but I don't think it will. You are correct that we can't sacrifice on field coaching for recruiting, but I think we can afford to have one on field coach that is a strong recruiter and maybe not as strong on the coaching/development. I think that's basically what we have with Hughes now (that may be unfair; I'm basically going off how badly it went for him at JSU, but of course there are lots of challenges at JSU that could cause a good coach to struggle). With Bumphis, he may be able to match what Hughes does in recruiting and be better at developing his position players.

TheLostDawg
12-30-2022, 11:17 AM
That's great in theory, but I think in reality players want to be recruited by on field coaches. Maybe NIL changes that dynamic and recruiters start to look slightly more like corporate recruiters but I don't think it will. You are correct that we can't sacrifice on field coaching for recruiting, but I think we can afford to have one on field coach that is a strong recruiter and maybe not as strong on the coaching/development. I think that's basically what we have with Hughes now (that may be unfair; I'm basically going off how badly it went for him at JSU, but of course there are lots of challenges at JSU that could cause a good coach to struggle). With Bumphis, he may be able to match what Hughes does in recruiting and be better at developing his position players.

Yeah he it took the place of TH (and moved TH to off field staff) that's a little different. The big thing is if we're still going to be devoted to the passing game, we need our wr coach to be a great developer who is also a decent recruiter vs a great recruiter who is also a decent developer

TheLostDawg
12-30-2022, 11:26 AM
I keep hearing ?Bumphis hasn?t coached anyone up to get to the league??..
He?s taking midline 3 star talent and developing it to the point it has helped his team be the best in the PAC this year and one of the most successful teams out west since he?s been there. Kyle Wittingham isn?t gonna keep dead weight on that staff. That tells me a lot that KW has kept Bumphis around. I think some of y?all are selling Bump short just because he played here. He?s been earning his stripes the right way.

Yeah well he's still going to be getting the same 3* here unless we start putting up some money and now his players will be going against a lot better competition.
I'm not knocking bumphis but I would like the best developer over a recruiter as our wr coach if we're going to continue to have some version of the air raid. Now if we put him somewhere else such as TE coach then great, I'm ecstatic to have him around. or if we missed on a few top wr coaches and he was our best option, again I'm thrilled. But to just pick him up for recruiting at a position that is so important to our offense and the need for us to develop the players we're getting, I'm holding my excitement for now.

WinningIsRelentless
12-30-2022, 12:00 PM
Ehhhhhhh?..I hope you?re not serious
I?m not. He?s 10x the coach Tony is and gives Zach someone he trust to handle that side of the ball between series?s.

Goldendawg
12-30-2022, 11:19 PM
Who is Jay? Thanks.

Fader21
12-30-2022, 11:55 PM
Who is Jay? Thanks.
Jay Hopson

Cowbell
12-31-2022, 12:12 AM

Smoot Cornerbacks
Banks Safeties

Bumphis WRs
Lee Tight Ends
Boobie RBs

Best DB we ever had? Smoot was good but Slay says hi

SteelCurtain74
12-31-2022, 06:32 AM

Walt Harris says don't forget about me

Ari Gold
12-31-2022, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=TheLostDawg;1484719]This seems like an underwhelming hire. Can someone get me excited about this[/QUOTE

Ex Dog
Proven coach
And Coach Whittingham doesn?t want to lose him .. this is a fact

Should be enough for ya

Ari Gold
12-31-2022, 10:51 AM

Jump on another thread and get off this one.. if you can?t understand why C Bump would be a huge addition to this staff

yjnkdawg
12-31-2022, 11:46 AM
Jump on another thread and get off this one.. if you can?t understand why C Bump would be a huge addition to this staff

That may be the reason he is "TheLostDawg" on here. How does he know what Bump does, concerning running wide receiver drills, developing players, etc. unless he is there at the Utah football practices.

TheLostDawg
01-02-2023, 10:10 AM
That may be the reason he is "TheLostDawg" on here. How does he know what Bump does, concerning running wide receiver drills, developing players, etc. unless he is there at the Utah football practices.

Haha ++
I do not. That's why I was asking for insight. other than Bumphis being a state guy, why are yall so excited.
"And Coach Whittingham doesn?t want to lose him .. this is a fact"
Is about the best answer I've gotten. Everyone else just expects me to believe blindly.

Santiago
01-02-2023, 10:24 AM
Seems to be chatter about Briles, and some other names as well for OC. Seems Arnett is casting a good net to land the right guy.
Arky 247 board even had 2 different threads about it.

TheLostDawg
01-02-2023, 10:34 AM
Seems to be chatter about Briles, and some other names as well for OC. Seems Arnett is casting a good net to land the right guy.
Arky 247 board even had 2 different threads about it.

If we get Briles, that's a game changer

StarkVegasSteve
01-02-2023, 10:43 AM
If we get Briles, that's a game changer

Kendall Briles with Chris Parson would be hell on wheels. Also, look no further than Briles play calling with Felipe Franks to see how he can mask a QBs deficiencies better than any coach not named Kyle Shanahan or Dan Mullen. He could take what Will does best and maximize it.

Also, non official offensive analyst Art Briles has a nice ring to it.

smootness
01-02-2023, 10:50 AM

Smoot was better. He's the best we've ever had at the college level. We've had plenty of awesome ones for sure - Banks, Slay, Forbes, Harris, Bean...but Smoot was the best at pure coverage in college. He was the main reason that defense was #1 in the country since JLD could just leave him (and Bean) on an island back there.

662dawg
01-02-2023, 10:52 AM
IMO Briles would be very underwhelming & lots of Arkansas fans would be excited for us to hire him

Op4isabitch
01-02-2023, 10:56 AM
We talking Kendal or Art?

662dawg
01-02-2023, 10:58 AM
We talking Kendal or Art?

Kendal

Really Clark?
01-02-2023, 11:11 AM
IMO Briles would be very underwhelming & lots of Arkansas fans would be excited for us to hire him

Well they went from 110th nationally in scoring in 2019 before he arrived and a horrid team to 48th last year and 35th this year (with losing their starting QB for games this season). Give me some more underwhelming like that.

yjnkdawg
01-02-2023, 11:15 AM

Briles can adapt to the players he has. A lot more issues going on up there than their OC. All those players didn't just hit the portal because they didn't like Briles.

Coach34
01-02-2023, 11:18 AM
Well they went from 110th nationally in scoring in 2019 before he arrived and a horrid team to 48th last year and 35th this year (with losing their starting QB for games this season). Give me some more underwhelming like that.

No kidding. Their offense has been better than ours

662dawg
01-02-2023, 11:18 AM

I'm just not impressed if this is the hire. I will back him 100% if it is, but I don't like it. And if I'm wrong I'll admit it & not try to make an excuse about how I was right the whole time.

Bothrops
01-02-2023, 12:45 PM
Who be the hire?

BulldogDX55
01-02-2023, 04:00 PM
I'm just not impressed if this is the hire. I will back him 100% if it is, but I don't like it. And if I'm wrong I'll admit it & not try to make an excuse about how I was right the whole time.

You're not impressed with a State guy who wants to be here, has some NFL experience, and is currently in the same position at a 2x defending P5 champion?

Either your standards are too high or you don't understand what Chad has been up to since he left.

StarkVegasSteve
01-02-2023, 04:06 PM
You're not impressed with a State guy who wants to be here, has some NFL experience, and is currently in the same position at a 2x defending P5 champion?

Either your standards are too high or you don't understand what Chad has been up to since he left.

Well first off he was talking about Kendall Briles, which I can not understand. Kendall would be a home run OC hire. Now to the Bumphis thing, what NFL experience does he have? Are we counting practice squad as NFL experience now? Because he never made a game day roster. Also, position coaches have very little say on the outcome of the game. If Kendall wants to bring Chad in that is fine, but he is not going to do that if he is the hire. Same if Shannon Dawson is the hire.

parabrave
01-02-2023, 04:09 PM
Smoot was better. He's the best we've ever had at the college level. We've had plenty of awesome ones for sure - Banks, Slay, Forbes, Harris, Bean...but Smoot was the best at pure coverage in college. He was the main reason that defense was #1 in the country since JLD could just leave him (and Bean) on an island back there.

Thanks for mentioning Bean. People forget about him and he did go to the NFL, Bengals.

StarkVegasSteve
01-02-2023, 04:13 PM
Thanks for mentioning Bean. People forget about him and he did go to the NFL, Bengals.

Bean and Smoot with Clinton and Morgan at safeties was unfair. Clinton was great in coverage and Morgan just wrecked people.

BulldogDX55
01-02-2023, 05:09 PM
Well first off he was talking about Kendall Briles, which I can not understand. Kendall would be a home run OC hire. Now to the Bumphis thing, what NFL experience does he have? Are we counting practice squad as NFL experience now? Because he never made a game day roster. Also, position coaches have very little say on the outcome of the game. If Kendall wants to bring Chad in that is fine, but he is not going to do that if he is the hire. Same if Shannon Dawson is the hire.

Note the word "some".

msudawglb
01-02-2023, 05:24 PM
I?m more concerned that Spurrier Jr is going to be named OC and that?s why Bumphis is being hired?to pick up WR?s. To me, that?s the only way Bumphis being hired makes sense. Because the new OC would have to approve it.

StarkVegasSteve
01-02-2023, 05:25 PM
Note the word "some".

Some would imply he had any. You have to make the active roster for a game to have NFL experience. He did not.

StarkVegasSteve
01-02-2023, 05:27 PM
I?m more concerned that Spurrier Jr is going to be named OC and that?s why Bumphis is being hired?to pick up WR?s. To me, that?s the only way Bumphis being hired makes sense. Because the new OC would have to approve it.

Spurrier will not be the OC and you can expect him to move on. Hopefully we are able to keep Miller, Washington, and Hollingshead and can bring in the OC to coach QB.

Goldendawg
01-02-2023, 05:35 PM
Spurrier will not be the OC and you can expect him to move on. Hopefully we are able to keep Miller, Washington, and Hollingshead and can bring in the OC to coach QB.

Some of these you named may be gone, as new OC will want some of his own people.

StarkVegasSteve
01-02-2023, 05:40 PM
Some of these you named may be gone, as new OC will want some of his own people.

You right. It is part of the business unfortunately. All 3 have incredible strengths. Miller is a HELL of an O Line coach, Hollingshead is not only a good WR coach but he is the best recruiter on the staff. Washington is the true portal king and has turned into a really solid RB coach. I would hate to lose any of them.

BulldogDX55
01-02-2023, 06:05 PM
Some would imply he had any. You have to make the active roster for a game to have NFL experience. He did not.

I didn't realize you were the arbiter of what constitutes some NFL experience. My mistake. I bow down to your expertise, sir.******

You're being pedantic as hell.

Goldendawg
01-02-2023, 06:05 PM
You right. It is part of the business unfortunately. All 3 have incredible strengths. Miller is a HELL of an O Line coach, Hollingshead is not only a good WR coach but he is the best recruiter on the staff. Washington is the true portal king and has turned into a really solid RB coach. I would hate to lose any of them.

How hard is it to be a "solid RB Coach"? See Sly Croom.********

Goldendawg
01-02-2023, 06:11 PM
I didn't realize you were the arbiter of what constitutes some NFL experience. My mistake. I bow down to your expertise, sir.******

You're being pedantic as hell.

Just looked up "pedantic" and is about the fifth term I have googled the definition of while reading here on elitedawgs recently. Retired May 26th after 11 years as Middle School teacher in my third career. Thanks to you guys and your posts, I continue to expand my vocabulary in my latter Bulldog years!****** Hail State!

State82
01-02-2023, 06:15 PM
Just looked up "pedantic" and is about the fifth term I have googled the definition of while reading here on elitedawgs recently. Retired May 26th after 11 years as Middle School teacher in my third career. Thanks to you guys and your posts, I continue to expand my vocabulary in my latter Bulldog years!****** Hail State!

Hahaha. Good one.

RisperDawg
01-02-2023, 06:15 PM

You seem pretty erudite. Lol

Ari Gold
01-02-2023, 06:20 PM
Just got conformation
Bump is coming home

msu15
01-02-2023, 06:26 PM
Just got conformation
Bump is coming home

Let's go man. Time to really build something again.

BeardoMSU
01-02-2023, 06:27 PM
Just got conformation
Bump is coming home

That would mean the new OC approved him, right?

State82
01-02-2023, 06:43 PM
Just got conformation
Bump is coming home

Well, the evening just keeps getting better!