PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech OC

Reason2succeed
12-29-2022, 11:24 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Zach Kittley, the Texas Tech OC would make a great compliment to Zach Arnett? I loved his play calling and trickery last night. That is what we need in order to compete consistently in the SEC. We have to steal some points.

drummerdawg
12-29-2022, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't mind. Last night was the first game I've seen of theirs this year, but I liked what I saw. Since we're saving on HC salary, offer him an extra million to be an OC in the SEC.

Coach34
12-29-2022, 11:34 AM
A TT grad who is their OC is going to leave TT for a middle of the pack SEC school that is hard to recruit to?

Bully54
12-29-2022, 11:36 AM
Guess you’re not a member of other State sites. Kittley is most fans #1 choice but has a big buyout and may not come anyway. He’s an alumni of TT

TrapGame
12-29-2022, 11:39 AM
Kittley is where he wants to be. And word is his buyout is more than we are willing to cough up for a young OC.

HoopsDawg
12-29-2022, 11:41 AM
A TT grad who is their OC is going to leave TT for a middle of the pack SEC school that is hard to recruit to?

Tough pull, but if he came to State for 2 years and put up good numbers he would be a head coach in 2025. We could easily double his salary so that's not nothing.

Mjoelner34
12-29-2022, 11:45 AM

True, but if you don't at least make him say "No" then you haven't done your job. Both schools are hard to recruit to so which would weigh heavier for him, the $$$ we could pay plus better exposure in the SEC or his loyalty as a TT alumni?

Cooterpoot
12-29-2022, 11:48 AM
We've already looked into him. It's a "NO" from his side of things.
His dad has been a TT coach. He grew up there and isn't leaving until a HC job opens for him. Probably next year.

Commercecomet24
12-29-2022, 11:49 AM
Kittley is where he wants to be. And word is his buyout is more than we are willing to cough up for a young OC.

This, Kittley wasn't gonna come here. He's home and to much money.

DEDawg
12-29-2022, 11:50 AM

He has to just be a loyal guy because we can double his salary and give him much better chance of HC opp in 2-3 years

Coach34
12-29-2022, 11:56 AM
He has to just be a loyal guy because we can double his salary and give him much better chance of HC opp in 2-3 years

A) We cant double his salary. We can make an offer and then TT will give him a raise
B) We would have to pay over a million just to buy him from TT- and that is just the buyout
C) It's not easier to get a head job from Miss State than Texas Tech. That's just garbage. Probably easier at TT because his offenses will put up bigger numbers in the B12

Bully54
12-29-2022, 12:06 PM
Yes we could offer him more than the 700k he’s making but it still won’t matter. TT coach just signed an extension. By 2024 Kittley will go somewhere else

HoopsDawg
12-29-2022, 12:26 PM
A) We cant double his salary. We can make an offer and then TT will give him a raise
B) We would have to pay over a million just to buy him from TT- and that is just the buyout
C) It's not easier to get a head job from Miss State than Texas Tech. That's just garbage. Probably easier at TT because his offenses will put up bigger numbers in the B12

A) He makes 730K per year so we can double his salary. TT would likely match, but let's force their hand
B) That's true. But we are saving 2.5 million a year on Arnett compared to Leach. It would be much more costly to Arnett and to MSU to hire the wrong OC.
C) Not sure I agree. We haven't had a true OC at MSU since Jackie's days. Our DC's have gone on to be head coaches: Handy Manny to Miami, Swag Colllins to GT, ZA to MSU. We are seen as a tough job so if you do good at MSU it leads to bigger opportuntites. Mullen to UF.

yjnkdawg
12-29-2022, 12:29 PM
It's unreal what some think about offering Kittley. A few on another board said offer him $2million a year and one said even offer him $2.5 million because we have plenty of money. This does not even make sense at all, but say we did offer him $2 million then he would be the second highest paid assistant coach in college football and if we offered him $2.5 then he would be the the highest paid assistant coach unless UGA gave Monken over a half million raise. Then you have the buyout added to that. I'm glad some posters on a message board don't make these decisions. Hopefully we roll with Hathcher and move forward. "Basketball on grass".

TALL DAWG
12-29-2022, 12:33 PM
Plus?if he came to MSU he would no longer have to smell that odor everyday?which Coach Big Ears used to talk about?

DEDawg
12-29-2022, 12:35 PM

A) Lmao obviously double his salary means his current 700k. I don?t know anyone who would reasonably twist that to mean what TT would offer if we offered then double that. 1.4M as an SEC OC would put him squarely in the middle of the SEC for coordinators. Sark made like 2.5 I think. Hell GRANTHAM made like 1.5. You gotta pay to play the game for coordinators.
B) and?
C) while I massively disagree here I could see an argument either way. But saying it?s because he?d put up bigger offensive numbers is a trash take. Come here and average 32-34 PPG is getting you all the same interviews as averaging 41 in the B12

Really Clark?
12-29-2022, 12:37 PM
It's unreal what some think about offering Kittley. A few on another board said offer him $2million a year and one said even offer him $2.5 million because we have plenty of money. This does not even make sense at all, but say we did offer him $2 million then he would be the second highest paid assistant coach in college football and if we offered him $2.5 then he would be the the highest paid assistant coach unless UGA gave Monken over a half million raise. Then you have the buyout added to that. I'm glad some posters on a message board don't make these decisions. Let's roll with Hacker and move forward.

Who's Hacker? Awesome OC name for a coach to crack a defense. Lol

Seriously is Hatcher even wanting to go back to an assistant position? More money, absolutely but he has been running own programs for a long time.

ETA, there are still some saying Littrell and Steve's post was a smokescreen. Unless he wants to sit a year, which he could and see if he can get another HC job. There are none available for this year.

Coach34
12-29-2022, 12:41 PM
A)
C) Not sure I agree. We haven't had a true OC at MSU since Jackie's days. Our DC's have gone on to be head coaches: Handy Manny to Miami, Swag Colllins to GT, ZA to MSU. We are seen as a tough job so if you do good at MSU it leads to bigger opportuntites. Mullen to UF.

Manny left State to be DC at Miami- not HC. Got the head job when it broke that Richt was sick.
Collins left to be DC at Florida- which got him the Temple job.

I can understand out interest- but if I was him I wouldnt leave. And apparently he isnt.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-29-2022, 12:43 PM
We are drag@ssing around hiring an AD. The new AD will want to have input what we pay an OC

yjnkdawg
12-29-2022, 12:46 PM
A) Lmao obviously double his salary means his current 700k. I don?t know anyone who would reasonably twist that to mean what TT would offer if we offered then double that. 1.4M as an SEC OC would put him squarely in the middle of the SEC for coordinators. Sark makes like 2.5 I think. Hell GRANTHAM makes like 1.5. You gotta pay to play the game for coordinators.
B) and?
C) while I massively disagree here I could see an argument either way. But saying it?s because he?d put up bigger offensive numbers is a trash take. Come here and average 32-34 PPG is getting you all the same interviews as averaging 41 in the B12

I can see us offering the right OC candidate up to $1.4 or maybe 1.5 million a year but not above those amounts.

Commercecomet24
12-29-2022, 12:48 PM

Seriously is Hatcher even wanting to go back to an assistant position? More money, absolutely but he has been running own programs for a long time.

ETA, there are still some saying Littrell and Steve's post was a smokescreen. Unless he wants to sit a year, which he could and see if he can get another HC job. There are none available for this year.

Yeah I'm still hearing that it's gonna be Littrell but who the heck knows anymore. So many games that are played with media, announcements, etc.

yjnkdawg
12-29-2022, 12:48 PM

LOL Hatcher ..........I can't type this morning. I'll revise it.

coachnorm
12-29-2022, 12:52 PM

Hi 34, thought I'd share something with you and fellow elitedoggers. If you go to Lincoln Hornets twitter you will see a player in powder blue, North Carolina at the Holiday Bowl. His Name is Don Chapman and I talked to him years ago. Out of curiosity, I asked him if he would like to play for Mississippi State and he said HELL YES. Don has or had grandparents that lived in Mississippi even though Don lived in San Diego. Dons team mate Keyshawn Smith who went to Miami also told me that he would love to play for Mississippi State also. I emailed this information to Mississippi State Football and it was not responded to.

HoopsDawg
12-29-2022, 12:55 PM
Manny left State to be DC at Miami- not HC. Got the head job when it broke that Richt was sick.
Collins left to be DC at Florida- which got him the Temple job.

I can understand out interest- but if I was him I wouldnt leave. And apparently he isnt.

All I'm saying is offer the buyout, 1.5 million on a 2 year deal, another 500k in incentives, and if he turns it down so be it. This is a crucial hire.

Bully54
12-29-2022, 12:55 PM
Been reported Hatcher is interested

yjnkdawg
12-29-2022, 12:56 PM
Yeah I'm still hearing that it's gonna be Littrell but who the heck knows anymore. So many games that are played with media, announcements, etc.

That sitting out a year and then looking for a HC position next year didn't make too much sense although it's possible he wants to do that. If he was currently an OC at a school then that would make more sense on the reason not to consider our position. Smoke screens seem to be trending now though.

Commercecomet24
12-29-2022, 12:59 PM
That sitting out a year and then looking for a HC position next year didn't make too much sense although it's possible he wants to do that. If he was currently an OC at a school then that would make more sense on the reason not to consider our position. Smoke screens seem to be trending now though.

Exactly.

Really Clark?
12-29-2022, 01:05 PM

The only other thing that kind of makes sense is if he is quietly in the mix for TAM (It may be Luke Huard for them) or elsewhere (after a bowl game for a team) and he's is waiting on that to shake out. Or he just wants a year off

yjnkdawg
12-29-2022, 01:16 PM
The only other thing that kind of makes sense is if he is quietly in the mix for TAM (It may be Luke Huard for them) or elsewhere (after a bowl game for a team) and he's is waiting on that to shake out. Or he just wants a year off

Could be "on in the mix" but on the sitting out a year, it's easier to get a particular job that you want if you already have a job than it is if you don't have a job. Seems like the longer he stays out of college football the lesser his market value would be but maybe not.

Goldendawg
12-29-2022, 04:12 PM
From an article on MSN on the fit Lane pitched with the officials: From the scuffle where OM #'s 11 and 57 called for personal fouls, Lane says TTU #11 spit on OM player #71 and may have called him a racial slur, yet OM #11 got the flag. Lane says he carried OM #71 "crying" to Ref over the possible slur. Lane is the crybaby trying to deflect attention from this joke of a loss and losing 5 of last 6. Update: TTU HC and LB Demetri Moore have issued a statement today of their disappointment that the opposition HC would make these accusations and deny any of this happened.

chef dixon
12-29-2022, 04:32 PM
34 is 100% correct on this one. Imagine someone like Matt Wyatt as our OC and him leaving us for Texas tech to be their OC. That's up there for most delusional speculation I've seen

Reason2succeed
12-29-2022, 04:59 PM
34 is 100% correct on this one. Imagine someone like Matt Wyatt as our OC and him leaving us for Texas tech to be their OC. That's up there for most delusional speculation I've seen

People leave their alma mater for better paying jobs all the time and you don?t need to to back far for an example.

See: our former AD who will not be named.

Coach34
12-29-2022, 05:09 PM
People leave their alma mater for better paying jobs all the time and you don?t need to to back far for an example.

Cohen left us for a better job. TT OC and Miss State OC are the same job

yjnkdawg
12-29-2022, 05:19 PM

If we offer him then TT is going to match or exceed our offer. I don't see us offering anybody over $1.4 to 1.5 million. This talk that some are saying to offer him $2 or $2.5 million is above stupidity (no reflection on you but just what a few had said we needed to do). But he seems to very happy to be right where he is.

DEDawg
12-29-2022, 05:47 PM
If we offer him then TT is going to match or exceed our offer. I don't see us offering anybody over $1.4 to 1.5 million. This talk that some are saying to offer him $2 or $2.5 million is above stupidity (no reflection on you but just what a few had said we needed to do). But he seems to very happy to be right where he is.

I don?t see anyway TTU would or can match 1.4 if that?s what we offered. That would probably make him the highest paid OC in the B12 or second after I?d guess Lebby. 1.4 here is prob around 5th in the SEC. I?m not even saying it?s the right move but we could out pay TTU. With him my guess is its more so he know he will get to $1M this year at TTU and not worth the extra few 100k to leave to a new program that he?s an alumnus

Reason2succeed
12-29-2022, 05:59 PM

No, I am not in favor of paying over $2M but we ought to be willing to pay a good experienced OC like him over $1M. There is no reason not to. We don?t have a buyout to pay and we are only paying Arnett $3M. We should give Arnett all the tools to succeed which means paying what is standard among our conference.

I also disagree that TT and MSU are the same job. They absolutely will not be once Oklahoma and Texas are a part of the SEC. We probably already have a bigger budget in football. We will be getting more TV money and our conference will be hands down the best in CFB with only the Big TEN even being close.

HoopsDawg
12-29-2022, 07:29 PM
Cohen left us for a better job. TT OC and Miss State OC are the same job

The Big 12 is going to be a joke. Replacing OU and Texas with Houston and UCF. Adding BYU and Cincy. It's not the same job. But I agree that we probably aren't going to get him.

Coach34
12-29-2022, 09:57 PM
I don?t see anyway TTU would or can match 1.4 if that?s what we offered. That would probably make him the highest paid OC in the B12 or second after I?d guess Lebby. 1.4 here is prob around 5th in the SEC. I?m not even saying it?s the right move but we could out pay TTU. With him my guess is its more so he know he will get to $1M this year at TTU and not worth the extra few 100k to leave to a new program that he?s an alumnus

I swear some of you guys dont pay attention at all. Have a dose of reality of them vs us- https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-richest-poorest-programs-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Texas-Longhorns-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-157982941/#157982941_5

57. Mississippi State ($38.0 million)

35. Texas Tech ($51.1 million)

Coach34
12-29-2022, 10:20 PM
The Big 12 is going to be a joke. Replacing OU and Texas with Houston and UCF. Adding BYU and Cincy. It's not the same job. But I agree that we probably aren't going to get him.

Jesus. You could make the argument he has a better job because they could have a shot at making the playoff under the new alignment. With what the SEC is adding- we have zero shot

Thick
12-29-2022, 10:22 PM
Holy shit AR at 76.5mm?.had no idea. They are ahead of aTm at 73.5mm.

Really Clark?
12-29-2022, 10:27 PM
I swear some of you guys dont pay attention at all. Have a dose of reality of them vs us- https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-richest-poorest-programs-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Texas-Longhorns-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-157982941/#157982941_5

57. Mississippi State ($38.0 million)

35. Texas Tech ($51.1 million)

Something is off on those numbers. USA Today had us at $112 MIL for 2019.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2020/07/21/revenue-ole-miss-mississippi-state-sports-generated-2019/5460570002/

Thick
12-29-2022, 10:27 PM
Jesus. You could make the argument he has a better job because they could have a shot at making the playoff under the new alignment. With what the SEC is adding- we have zero shot

God would have to lay hands on our football team/program for us to ever sniff a trip to ATL for the SEC championship game now. Once OU & TX join, He would have to take over the football program with the 12 disciples as His staff!

Coach34
12-29-2022, 10:30 PM
Something is off on those numbers. USA Today had us at $112 MIL for 2019.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2020/07/21/revenue-ole-miss-mississippi-state-sports-generated-2019/5460570002/

The CL is using the total number made after SEC welfare check comes in. 247 is showing how much each makes just off football.

Really Clark?
12-29-2022, 10:34 PM
The CL is using the total number made after SEC welfare check comes in. 247 is showing how much each makes just off football.

Gotcha but I think total revenue should be used, that's what we base our budget on and we spend in football according to the total not gross revenue from just football sales generated by only the school. Just my opinion using the total but that puts us 30th in the nation...pretty big difference.

Coach34
12-29-2022, 10:35 PM
https://www.collegeraptor.com/college-rankings/details/TopRevenue

TT at 32....State at 51

Really Clark?
12-29-2022, 10:41 PM
https://www.collegeraptor.com/college-rankings/details/TopRevenue

TT at 32....State at 51

That has Vandy 29nd and LSU 30th ($38 MIL)??? No way that's correct and how did they get accurate info from Vandy as they don't publish numbers being private.

Coach34
12-29-2022, 10:45 PM
Here's a good site with totals: https://www.sportico.com/business/commerce/2021/college-sports-finances-database-intercollegiate-1234646029/

Football revenue:

State- $27.8MM
TT- $38.2MM

Football Expenses:

State- $22.9MM
TT- $27.5MM

They make more than us- spend more than us...profit more than us on football

KOdawg1
12-29-2022, 10:46 PM
Kittley ain't happening.

Chris Hatcher gets my vote at this point.

Coach34
12-29-2022, 10:48 PM
Gotcha but I think total revenue should be used, that's what we base our budget on and we spend in football according to the total not gross revenue from just football sales generated by only the school. Just my opinion using the total but that puts us 30th in the nation...pretty big difference.

As in my other posts- what we spend on football is what we spend on football. They make more and they spend more on football than us. Period

Bass Chaser
12-29-2022, 10:48 PM
That list collegeraptor is based on revenue generated sports. Ole Miss is 14 on the list. I’m not buying that

KOdawg1
12-29-2022, 10:49 PM
Here's a good site with totals: https://www.sportico.com/business/commerce/2021/college-sports-finances-database-intercollegiate-1234646029/

Football revenue:

State- $27.8MM
TT- $38.2MM

Football Expenses:

State- $22.9MM
TT- $27.5MM

We aren't "Po' ole Mississippi State" but I also think some of our fans inflate our status in the CFB pecking order.

Coach34
12-29-2022, 10:50 PM
We aren't "Po' ole Mississippi State" but I also think some of our fans inflate our status in the CFB pecking order.

Yes- totally agree

Fader21
12-29-2022, 10:56 PM
Why hasn't Garrett Riley's name been mentioned?

KOdawg1
12-29-2022, 10:57 PM
Why hasn't Garrett Riley's name been mentioned?

Because being OC for a playoff team > OC at MSU

Reason2succeed
12-29-2022, 10:59 PM
Del

Bass Chaser
12-29-2022, 11:01 PM

Football revenue:

State- $27.8MM
TT- $38.2MM

Football Expenses:

State- $22.9MM
TT- $27.5MM

Deleted too many Tito’s.

Tripp McNeely
12-29-2022, 11:04 PM
Deleted too many Tito’s.

Ummm...according to those numbers we're making $5mm a year...which honestly means we need to spend $5mm more a year on football! It ought to be a break even situation

Coach34
12-29-2022, 11:08 PM
Ummm...according to those numbers we're making $5mm a year...which honestly means we need to spend $5mm more a year on football! It ought to be a break even situation

Cant. We have to fund the losses of women's basketball and soccer, and softball, and volleyball...etc

I'm guessing we lose at least $20MM on women's sports per year

Bass Chaser
12-29-2022, 11:23 PM

That hurts.

Bass Chaser
12-29-2022, 11:27 PM
What are the non-revenue generating sports - soccer, track, tennis, volleyball, dance, cheerleading?

Coach34
12-29-2022, 11:37 PM
dont forget golf

Really Clark?
12-29-2022, 11:40 PM
Cant. We have to fund the losses of women's basketball and soccer, and softball, and volleyball...etc

The women's sports cost us $3 MIL each year the last 2. It cost us $5 MIL in 2019. Women's basketball actually generates revenue but it's still a loss overall.

Coach34
12-29-2022, 11:45 PM
The women's sports cost us $3 MIL each year the last 2. It cost us $5 MIL in 2019. Women's basketball actually generates revenue but it's still a loss overall.

Aint no way. Scholarships, travel, unis, equipment, coaches salaries...women's sports cost us more than $3MM in travel cost alone. Coaches salaries for all the women's sports are at least $3MM because the basketball coach makes at least a million huh? We lose alot of money on women's sports.

It cost my HS team 3K to go to NOLA on a charter bus for a playoff game. We easily spend more than $3MM per year with teams flying and bussing around all over

Really Clark?
12-30-2022, 12:10 AM
Aint no way. Scholarships, travel, unis, equipment, coaches salaries...women's sports cost us more than $3MM in travel cost alone. Coaches salaries for all the women's sports are at least $3MM because the basketball coach makes at least a million huh? We lose alot of money on women's sports.

It cost my HS team 3K to go to NOLA on a charter bus for a playoff game. We easily spend more than $3MM per year with teams flying and bussing around all over

I didn't make it up. That's what the school has reported. That's how much the women's sports lost each year for the last 3.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2022/02/22/how-mississippi-state-athletics-balanced-its-spending-2021-fiscal-year/6668831001/

Leeshouldveflanked
12-30-2022, 09:24 AM
I didn't make it up. That's what the school has reported. That's how much the women's sports lost each year for the last 3.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2022/02/22/how-mississippi-state-athletics-balanced-its-spending-2021-fiscal-year/6668831001/

$5 Million to buy Moorhead and staff out. Oof #ThanksCohen

Coach34
12-30-2022, 12:04 PM

"The women’s team, however, has lost over $3 million in revenue the past two years, slightly down from the $5 million it lost in 2019."

We lose $3MM in women's basketball alone- and that is a sport that actually brings in some revenue to offset it. The rest of women's sports are total losses. So yeah, we lose alot more than $3MM in women's sports

Really Clark?
12-30-2022, 01:04 PM
"The women?s team, however, has lost over $3 million in revenue the past two years, slightly down from the $5 million it lost in 2019."

We lose $3MM in women's basketball alone- and that is a sport that actually brings in some revenue to offset it. The rest of women's sports are total losses. So yeah, we lose alot more than $3MM in women's sports

I did read that incorrectly but we are both wrong with that article. That's loss of $3 MiL in revenue not total loss for the team.

msudawg1200
12-30-2022, 01:33 PM
I love MSU as much as anybody, but
even through my maroon colored shades I can realize that Kittley nor Riley are leaving TTech ot TCU to come here. Ain't happening. Move on from it.

Johnson85
12-30-2022, 01:35 PM

Texas Tech has an enrollment that is roughly 75% bigger than ours. They still have a lot of alumni in oil and gas. They have a lot of alumni living in more prosperous areas generally. They do have alumni that care about football, hence chasing out Leach because they wanted 10 wins a year (not saying they're not stupid, just that they care). Lubbock MSA has 322k people in it. People bash Lubbock because it is in the "middle of nowhere", but that Middle of Nowhere has more people in it than the MSA of a lot of SEC towns. THe difference is that I guess you have hours of relative nothingness between it and other places depending on which direction you're heading.

All that to say, Texas Tech can easily match what we offer. Whatever difference there is between the SEC and Big 12 TV deal, they have enough advantages with alumni size and giving to cover that gap.

Leroy Jenkins
12-30-2022, 02:22 PM
Of the 229 Div I public institutions, only 18 had profitable athletics departments. The other 200+ are losing money on athletics. Also all 18 profitable institutions are in a P5 football conference.

And even if you dont consider coaching salaries in the athletic budget, only 37 institutions made money.

The Oregon number is so huge because Phil Knight donated 100 million last year (over 300 million over the years).

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/D5612AQE_tpX6xlst-A/article-inline_image-shrink_1500_2232/0/1662219541326?e=1677715200&v=beta&t=efuInvP6eqDQeK2CI6tmoygV2iaI8sg2U3Ipo6YJbY8

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/D5612AQEiZ5cQ2zCKRw/article-inline_image-shrink_1500_2232/0/1662219569771?e=1677715200&v=beta&t=HsDhqRyqZOieDMX66oN5lGSTXn3dNjiqhFcixI2pyIc

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/D5612AQFgcLP4flu5jw/article-inline_image-shrink_1500_2232/0/1662219597762?e=1677715200&v=beta&t=1cI3fimmlhe1F-_7IF9Yz7jBe6_t6LAaKMnE4a6ds1c

Here is the Knight-Newhouse data for SEC athletic departments as a whole.

https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/sec

TheLostDawg
12-30-2022, 02:48 PM
Valley down 2 mill.

Do the schools cut use educational money to cover costs or do like politicians and just keep adding debt on debt

Johnson85
12-30-2022, 03:20 PM
Of the 229 Div I public institutions, only 18 had profitable athletics departments. The other 200+ are losing money on athletics. Also all 18 profitable institutions are in a P5 football conference.

And even if you dont consider coaching salaries in the athletic budget, only 37 institutions made money.

The Oregon number is so huge because Phil Knight donated 100 million last year (over 300 million over the years).

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/D5612AQE_tpX6xlst-A/article-inline_image-shrink_1500_2232/0/1662219541326?e=1677715200&v=beta&t=efuInvP6eqDQeK2CI6tmoygV2iaI8sg2U3Ipo6YJbY8

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/D5612AQEiZ5cQ2zCKRw/article-inline_image-shrink_1500_2232/0/1662219569771?e=1677715200&v=beta&t=HsDhqRyqZOieDMX66oN5lGSTXn3dNjiqhFcixI2pyIc

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/D5612AQFgcLP4flu5jw/article-inline_image-shrink_1500_2232/0/1662219597762?e=1677715200&v=beta&t=1cI3fimmlhe1F-_7IF9Yz7jBe6_t6LAaKMnE4a6ds1c

Here is the Knight-Newhouse data for SEC athletic departments as a whole.

https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/sec

Surely a lot of that is differences in how they account for things? Are universities really dropping $10M a year beyond what comes in in donations on athletics? I guess you can justify some sports as marketing expenses, but $10M+ a year??? Or $30M?

yjnkdawg
12-30-2022, 03:57 PM

I'm sticking with what I posted earlier, if we offered Kittley $1.4 or $1.5 million a year , and TT wanted to keep him (which they do) then they could match or exceed our offer. Oh! I forgot his buyout so add that to the equation. Kittley coming here is a pie in the sky fantasy. He likes it there. He was glad to get back home and TT can compensate more to even make him more happier. I don't see him leaving TT other than possibly a HC position at some point in time in the future. Lebby's contract as of the beginning of this season was $1.8 million.