PDA

View Full Version : Does being a "good recruiter" matter much anymore?

Leroy Jenkins
12-26-2022, 01:46 PM
Now that a player can be openly paid to sign, does having good recruiters on staff matter as much? I can see "good evaluator" replacing good recruiter as a desirable coaching trait.

Pancho
12-26-2022, 08:22 PM
just gotta have the number$ top of mind.........

HoopsDawg
12-26-2022, 08:35 PM
Relationships still matter. Maybe not as much though.

R2Dawg
12-26-2022, 08:38 PM
Matters more than ever. It ain't once a year thing now. It is all the time recruiting your current players and potential future transfer players. The signing day recruiting stuff is less relevant due to transfer portal.

Ari Gold
12-26-2022, 10:29 PM
Very much so..

Saltydog
12-27-2022, 04:54 AM
I think the answer is in the middle. It's probably lessened that expertise to a certain extent because some of these kids are simply chasing the dollar. For State, I think it's highly unlikely we sign another 5 star player anytime soon. However for some of these guys in the portal I think you have to be able sell them something (p/t, a better fit, etc.) so the money for a one and done player may not be quite as important. It's an intriguing question for sure.

thf24
12-27-2022, 11:56 AM
Same answer as on any other factor in the new era of recruiting: once the dust settles, probably about the same as before. Some have more tangible resources than others (as they always have), but you still have to identify the right guys and play the game.

Goldendawg
12-27-2022, 05:00 PM
Matters more than ever. It ain't once a year thing now. It is all the time recruiting your current players and potential future transfer players. The signing day recruiting stuff is less relevant due to transfer portal.

This. Even though we have NIL and portal, relationships will always matter.

Apoplectic
12-27-2022, 11:42 PM
Nope. It?s now about a check. ?Coach I gotta look out for me and my family?

HoopsDawg
12-27-2022, 11:45 PM
Nope. It?s now about a check. ?Coach I gotta look out for me and my family?

The money has always been there.