PDA

View Full Version : Off the football topic; just received text from 4 County EPA/ TVA that

MabenMaroon
12-23-2022, 11:35 AM
They are implementing "Step 50" plan for the first time ever. Rolling 30 to 45 minute blackouts today for 5% of the customer base at a time.

Wow, we get to experience some of that California/Texas crap and higher bills coming soon.

PCHSDawg
12-23-2022, 11:42 AM
Where's this?

GeoDawg
12-23-2022, 11:47 AM
I received the text in Columbus, Ms. However the text doesn't say when it will start.

MabenMaroon
12-23-2022, 12:06 PM
Maben for me, and I assume Clay, Lowndes, Oktibbeha and Noxubee Counties. Don't know what areas TVA includes.

starkvegasdawg
12-23-2022, 12:55 PM
It was for all places served by TVA. They got my mom but not us. Just got another text saying they're over for 4 county.

RocketDawg
12-23-2022, 01:58 PM
It was for all places served by TVA. They got my mom but not us. Just got another text saying they're over for 4 county.

I've not heard of any rolling blackouts here, but they're doing it in Tennessee (TWC specifically mentioned Nashville and Memphis). I suppose since we're on TVA it will happen this afternoon.

I've only experienced electrical failure at my house due to demand overload one time, that being December 1989 when the temp was -3 all day and wind chill was close to -40. But - the area population has more than doubled since then so a lot more demand.

It's 9 here now after a low of 3 this morning, so "warmer" than back then. The high for today was 20 at midnight.

R2Dawg
12-23-2022, 02:42 PM
Happening all across the TVA area. TVA lost both generator units at Cumberland power plant - lost 2600MW of capacity.

Obama shut a massive coal power plant where I live and replaced with solar farm.

Guys this is what you get when you shut down fossil fuel power plants and the grid can't support it. Stupid policies by ignorant leadership caused every bit of this.

Enjoy more of less in the future if we keep putting idiots in charge of stuff.

Had to shut down half the plant I work out. Plenty of pain to go around.

Pinto
12-23-2022, 02:59 PM
Another reason to buy an electric car.

DownwardDawg
12-23-2022, 03:21 PM
Happening all across the TVA area. TVA lost both generator units at Cumberland power plant - lost 2600MW of capacity.

Obama shut a massive coal power plant where I live and replaced with solar farm.

Guys this is what you get when you shut down fossil fuel power plants and the grid can't support it. Stupid policies by ignorant leadership caused every bit of this.

You nailed it. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING will ever replace fossil fuels. And someday, people will realize that most fossil fuels are much cleaner energy than a lot of the new "cleaner energy".

RocketDawg
12-23-2022, 04:28 PM

I'm kinda surprised the Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant isn't on the chopping block. It's the "greenest" of electrical production but apparently not acceptable to some these days.

R2Dawg
12-23-2022, 04:56 PM
I'm kinda surprised the Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant isn't on the chopping block. It's the "greenest" of electrical production but apparently not acceptable to some these days.

They know they can't survive if Browns Ferry went down.

The big solar farm in Cherokee is really keeping us powered up.

I'm for using any good energy source - solar and wind included but those will never be the foundation of our energy. They shut down our foundation and put in the fake science clean stuff like it would just replace fossil. Just like the EV is a farce. EV still gets it's source energy from the grid. The energy problem is about to get a whole lot worse.

If you like having less in the future, then you are gonna love it.

starkvegasdawg
12-23-2022, 07:13 PM
They know they can't survive if Browns Ferry went down.

The big solar farm in Cherokee is really keeping us powered up.

I'm for using any good energy source - solar and wind included but those will never be the foundation of our energy. They shut down our foundation and put in the fake science clean stuff like it would just replace fossil. Just like the EV is a farce. EV still gets it's source energy from the grid. The energy problem is about to get a whole lot worse.

If you like having less in the future, then you are gonna love it.

Saw a video where a question was asked if EV's were the answer to pollution. The answer was an emphatic no and the guy went on to explain that all an EV does is shift the pollution from the end user country to the raw material supplier country. Those countries still have to mine the lithium and other components to make the batteries. The plastics and other components still take large quantities of oil to produce. So those thinking them buying that Chevy volt are saving the world all you're doing is moving the pollution from your country to some poor third world country.

lastmajordog
12-23-2022, 08:35 PM
del

Homedawg
12-23-2022, 08:51 PM
Saw a video where a question was asked if EV's were the answer to pollution. The answer was an emphatic no and the guy went on to explain that all an EV does is shift the pollution from the end user country to the raw material supplier country. Those countries still have to mine the lithium and other components to make the batteries. The plastics and other components still take large quantities of oil to produce. So those thinking them buying that Chevy volt are saving the world all you're doing is moving the pollution from your country to some poor third world country.

As you are saying, Only 50% of of oil goes toward gas. Can't make a battery wo oil due to plastics. And the costs of these electric cars aren't cheaper w the cost of batteries. They are nuts

TUSK
12-23-2022, 08:59 PM
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd...

I'm IN!

As a side note, I get tickled at the reaction I get when I tell peeps, "Ya know where the electricity comes from, right?......."

Maverick91
12-23-2022, 10:20 PM
This thread needs to be shut down. There’s to much facts being throw around.

TUSK
12-23-2022, 10:29 PM
This thread needs to be shut down. There are too many facts being thrown around.

https://media.tenor.com/fcinOCTmK8AAAAAd/stripes-bill-murray.gif

Bdawg
12-23-2022, 11:10 PM
Hell look at Europe, they are telling people not to charge their EV during certain times or maybe even not to charge at all because of trying to heat homes this winter. This “green agenda” is just stupid and costing tax payers billions. We are so much cleaner now than 20 years ago but it will never be enough. If there is no crisis, there is no money to be made for the politicians.