PDA

View Full Version : Watching AF kill Baylor

basedog
12-22-2022, 10:36 PM
Reminds me of a very super cold night in early 90?s with JWS as our coach, playing in the Liberty Bowl. They kicked our tails badly, going into the game the players must have been as over confident as I was that night!
One of the coldest nights I every attended a football game.

Statecoachingblows**
12-22-2022, 10:44 PM
Miserable outside here in the DFW tonight. Not envious of anyone in attendance or playing.

HoopsDawg
12-22-2022, 10:46 PM
I was their base. Brutal game. AF was ready. I think we were on Beale the night before.

basedog
12-22-2022, 10:50 PM
I was their base. Brutal game. AF was ready. I think we were on Beale the night before.

If I recall it was a sellout and the cowbells were extremely loud for about a half of quarter. LOL. I was on Beale Street night before also, but I didn’t have a curfew. LOL

Dawgface
12-22-2022, 10:58 PM
Reminds me of a very super cold night in early 90?s with JWS as our coach, playing in the Liberty Bowl. They kicked our tails badly, going into the game the players must have been as over confident as I was that night!

Yep, I was there too. No way I would sit through a cold game like that these days. Of course I?m a full fledge geezer now.

basedog
12-22-2022, 11:14 PM
Yep, I was there too. No way I would sit through a cold game like that these days. Of course I?m a full fledge geezer now.

LOL, and getting beat as bad as we did that night made it way more miserable.

Leroy Jenkins
12-22-2022, 11:15 PM
You know what's a very underrated pain? Smashing your fingers between face masks or ripping a fingernail off on one of those mesh jerseys when it's below freezing.

CaptainObvious
12-22-2022, 11:22 PM
Meanwhile, next weekend in Tampa, Saturday, 12/31 ?81/66 R, 1/1 ?77/66 TS, 1-2 ?79/65 PC

Dawgtini
12-23-2022, 12:01 AM
Coldest game ever!!

NCDawg
12-23-2022, 12:26 AM

I remember that game well-almost froze at that game. They did indeed kick our tails. They were a very disciplined team and ran that variation of the wishbone to perfection.

parabrave
12-23-2022, 01:08 AM

Well some of the players were on Beale Street till about 0230 morning of the game. JWS always said that the bowl game were a reward and let them have fun. When Pitt played in the Sugar Bowl while he was the coach they stayed in Biloxi and the Panthers hit the bars hard.

Todd4State
12-23-2022, 02:04 AM
I always enjoy a good service academy team.

Maybe we'll have a double header one day with Army/Navy followed by Air Force/Space Force. Who knows?

SpaceBully
12-23-2022, 05:15 AM
Yeah, remember that game. First bowl game we had been too in a long time. Jackie had us stoked up even though the temps were around 30-35 degrees. Unfortunately, we weren't ready for an Air Force wishbone that proved almost unstoppable. Looked like our feet were stuck in mud while they ran through, around, and over us with their speedy backs all night long. Of course, last year was a balmy 72 degrees and MSU fans in shorts and tee shirts. Again, another disaster in the Liberty vs TTech. I think MSU still holds the all time Liberty Bowl pregame record for ticket sales at about 27-28,000. Of course there was another 10,000 or so who didn't buy through the MSU ticket office. BTW, it's supposed to be 38-39 degrees at game time in Tampa exactly 1 week before our game with Illinois. Good grief.....get that bomb cyclone outta here!!

Gypsy_RoadDawg
12-23-2022, 07:38 AM

I was there and it didn't take long to realize we were out of our league that night. It seemed like AF always had the ball, which they did.

99jc
12-23-2022, 07:44 AM
the coldest ever and hottest ever were both in the liberty bowl stadium..i hate that place

was21
12-23-2022, 08:23 AM
They had a running back from Vicksburg St. Aloysious named Dornbusch. I knew his uncle. He ran all over us.

basedog
12-23-2022, 08:27 AM
the coldest ever and hottest ever were both in the liberty bowl stadium..i hate that place

I was at that game also against Memphis, 11 am game and heat index was so bad folks were passing out left and right in the stands. We killed Memphis that day, our defense was as good as it could get that game and year. Tough!

Thick
12-23-2022, 08:38 AM

I was at that game, bourbon was flowing that night, and the much smaller, quicker AF team beat our ass. If I?m not mistaken our OL/DL out weighed them by almost 100lbs in each position. It showed bc we looked awfully slower. Rather eye opening/embarrassing bowl games.

Coach34
12-23-2022, 11:15 AM
Thanks for reminding me of that awful experience. Left StarkVegas and got almost all the way to Grenada before realizing I had forgotten our tickets. Spent most of the day hearing about that BS from my fiance'. The game was miserably cold. Wind blowing. I had bet on us of course. It was obvious in the 1st Q we werent going to win the game.

Terrible day

CaptainObvious
12-23-2022, 11:32 AM
You know we like to discuss how much the Air Raid has been modified by Leach?s Disciples. But look how much the option game that started out as the wing T, then the Wishbone, the Veer, then for the most part the current formation is referred to as the Wingbone. And even from that, they will use the fullback and 1 wingback behind the Tackle and split out the other wingback into the slot, but still run a sweep with him. Nobody runs the Veer any more. But Emory?s version at State was a thing of beauty when we had the players to run it.

RocketDawg
12-23-2022, 02:08 PM
The announcers said last night that it was the coldest bowl ever (not sure if that was researched as fact, but it was definitely cold). I checked the Fort Worth temp during the game and it was 12 with a wind chill of -7.

The Independence Bowl against Texas A&M in 2000 was pretty cold - mid-20s and snow. Don't remember any wind to speak of.

99jc
12-23-2022, 02:44 PM
I was at that game also against Memphis, 11 am game and heat index was so bad folks were passing out left and right in the stands. We killed Memphis that day, our defense was as good as it could get that game and year. Tough!

i almost PASSED OUT MYSELF

CaptainObvious
12-23-2022, 02:58 PM
i almost PASSED OUT MYSELF

I was sweating out so much whiskey, the guys around me were mixing drinks off of me!

Goldendawg
12-23-2022, 05:15 PM

Yeah, My family and I were there too, very disappointing game. Us getting to go to a bowl was very special then with our past bowl history. Was Sleepy our QB for this game?

basedog
12-23-2022, 05:51 PM
Yeah, My family and I were there too, very disappointing game. Us getting to go to a bowl was very special then with our past bowl history. Was Sleepy our QB for this game?

I think he was.

Coach34
12-23-2022, 07:45 PM
Yeah Sleepy was QB in 91 and then got hurt vs Florida in 92 when we left his ass in too long. Turned a 9-10 win team into a 7-5 team

DesotoDog1967
12-23-2022, 09:37 PM
Service academy players can't partake in NIL. Wonder how that will effect their team quality in the future

parabrave
12-23-2022, 09:46 PM
Service academy players can't partake in NIL. Wonder how that will effect their team quality in the future

There minds are on something else.

Todd4State
12-23-2022, 09:54 PM

That's not right. They should be able to get some.

Leroy Jenkins
12-23-2022, 09:57 PM

It's not zero, but whatever is right next to zero, percent effect.

LC Dawg
12-23-2022, 10:10 PM

That was my first year at State and we had a crew of about 10 go to the game. I met Sleepy a few years back told him how much we enjoyed ourselves in Memphis the night before and the night after the game. He grinned and said "We did too".

Todd4State
12-23-2022, 10:21 PM
One of the worst things about Jackie was how he handled bowls. It seemed like every time we went to one all you heard were stories about the team partying all night and then you had the 1995 Peach Bowl love drama between Eric Moulds and Derrick Taite and some girl.

I mean I want our players to have fun and all. But is it too much to ask to have a curfew the night before the game?

NCDawg
12-23-2022, 10:33 PM
The announcers said last night that it was the coldest bowl ever (not sure if that was researched as fact, but it was definitely cold). I checked the Fort Worth temp during the game and it was 12 with a wind chill of -7.

The Independence Bowl against Texas A&M in 2000 was pretty cold - mid-20s and snow. Don't remember any wind to speak of.

2000 Arkansas game may be the coldest I've ever been. It was sleeting during the game. What made it that much worse was we lost the game to a beat up Arkansas team, and lost a great opportunity to win the SECW.

Bdawg
12-23-2022, 10:59 PM

Was at both of those also. Watched AF small, quick OL shove our big meats all across that field all night long. Shameful. And yes people were dropping like flies in that early game. I think someone said field temp may have been 110-115 that day.

parabrave
12-24-2022, 01:52 AM
That was my first year at State and we had a crew of about 10 go to the game. I met Sleepy a few years back told him how much we enjoyed ourselves in Memphis the night before and the night after the game. He grinned and said "We did too".

I saw Sleepy when he was at Prentis and asked him if my brother was lying when he was seem on Beale street holding up a wall at 0230 day of game. He just grinned.