PDA

View Full Version : When are we supposed to get left behind because of NIL deals

phatdog
12-22-2022, 01:52 PM
This class seems as good or better than most classes we've had.

msudawglb
12-22-2022, 01:58 PM
I think you?re mistaken. We are still in the same ranking area (18-25) but the distance between the top 10 and us is growing. With NIL we will probably never get a 5 star and our 4 star?s are fewer. We live on 3 star players now.

BulldogDX55
12-22-2022, 02:10 PM
I think you?re mistaken. We are still in the same ranking area (18-25) but the distance between the top 10 and us is growing. With NIL we will probably never get a 5 star and our 4 star?s are fewer. We live on 3 star players now.

It'll balance out in the end. Not all of those 4/5* players will be able to get on the field the way they're hoarding talent, and those guys will need a place like State to land.

DownwardDawg
12-22-2022, 02:48 PM
As Coach Leach stated, this current situation is not sustainable.

DEDawg
12-22-2022, 03:05 PM
This class seems as good or better than most classes we've had.

This class is the same as always. 20-25 very respectable class but with little star power. We wanted Dowdell bad but could not compete with Oregon NIL money. Just like pre NIL, it is just legal to do it now.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-22-2022, 03:32 PM
This class is the same as always. 20-25 very respectable class but with little star power. We wanted Dowdell bad but could not compete with Oregon NIL money. Just like pre NIL, it is just legal to do it now.
If we had offered Dowdell earlier int the process we would have had Dowdell.

Goldendawg
12-22-2022, 03:49 PM

Heard he grew up a State fan and a person no longer on staff blew his recruitment, but sure Nike NIL $ from Phil Knight and Oregon makes it harder to compete. OM also really tried to flip him. Long way from home in Oregon. Maybe we get another shot in the portal in the near future. Hail State!

Political Hack
12-22-2022, 04:33 PM
5 stars have always been too expensive for us. Nothing has changed. Rich keep getting richer.

RocketDawg
12-22-2022, 09:39 PM
xx wrong thread xx

bulldawg28
12-22-2022, 09:50 PM

We've always lived on 3 stars. How is the gap growing 1-10? Is the same as its always been. You also have to think logically. There is no way we're a 3 star team rated #25. Mississippi high school players aren't rated properly. If the coaches are offering and signing them I trust their evaluation.

Schultzy
12-22-2022, 10:27 PM
We've always lived in 3 stars. How is the gap growing 1-10? Is the same as its always been. You also have to think logically. There is no way we're a 3 star team rated #25. Mississippi high school players aren't rated properly. If the coaches are offering and signing them I trust their evaluation.
Yep, it’s hard to rate players properly, generally Texas hs players way over rated & Mississippi players underrated.

There will always be the same inventory of players looking for pt anyway.

CaptainObvious
12-22-2022, 10:35 PM
We've always lived in 3 stars. How is the gap growing 1-10? Is the same as its always been. You also have to think logically. There is no way we're a 3 star team rated #25. Mississippi high school players aren't rated properly. If the coaches are offering and signing them I trust their evaluation.

I think you have to look at the scoring. How many of our 3 stars are between 88 and 89.9? Those are high 3 stars.

Schultzy
12-22-2022, 10:42 PM
A college fb coach once told me there should be no such thing as a four star…if you’re not a five you’re a three.

bulldawg28
12-23-2022, 07:51 AM
I think you have to look at the scoring. How many of our 3 stars are between 88 and 89.9? Those are high 3 stars.

If these players were in any other state they'd be 4 stars. I judge it by on the field. I just reiterate 3 stars are not ranked in the top #25.

AlSwearengen
12-23-2022, 08:05 AM
It’s also going to be painful to see us lose baseball players to bigger schools because of NIL. We will still get our share of good ones b/c money isn’t as big of an issue with baseball families, but going head to head with lsu, ark, Tenn, and apparently florida for players will be harder.

Florida fans don’t really support baseball like you would think, but someone with over there with money cares enough to apparently outbid lsu for usm’s no. 2 player.

If you notice, I think we got some good players in the portal, but I don’t think we were in a bidding war for any of them.

NIL is a scourge.

R2Dawg
12-23-2022, 09:35 AM

We've always lived on 3 stars and Juco. We put 2 star guys in the NFL. MSU will continue as always here.

R2Dawg
12-23-2022, 09:38 AM
A college fb coach once told me there should be no such thing as a four star…if you’re not a five you’re a three.

Ha yeah and ole Chris Jones that low skill 2 star guy, he did OK.

R2Dawg
12-23-2022, 09:40 AM
As Coach Leach stated, this current situation is not sustainable.

No it is not. Just like a housing bubble or any other. Only so much money to go around and there are more and more good athletes in the field too. Way more than it was 40 years ago.

Cooterpoot
12-23-2022, 09:50 AM
We just had our top WR purchased by GA. We won't go steal a big time player from a blue blood. It's making us fall further behind the better teams. They'll now come take our top players like we take MTSUs. I see no way we will ever make the playoffs (even the expanded version). We'll be in that 15-25 range a good bit, but this is a new age. Bowl games are going to be irrelevant. The money will be in the playoffs in the future.

parabrave
12-23-2022, 02:17 PM
No it is not. Just like a housing bubble or any other. Only so much money to go around and there are more and more good athletes in the field too. Way more than it was 40 years ago.

Going to be like the Portal in a few years/ One analyst said the other day. When half these kids start understanding that just because you leave for "greener" pastures doesn't mean that you will get a better offer and you run the risk of not only losing you scholarship but being left totally in the cold.

Dawgology
12-23-2022, 02:34 PM
Going back and looking at the past 10 years of 247 rankings the top 12 or so programs have always stacked talent usually getting 15+ 4 stars and 2-3 5 stars each year. Now with the portal and NIL we at least have a shot of grabbing a few of those a year or two later when they realize they were signed for depth.

Cooterpoot
12-23-2022, 02:38 PM
Going back and looking at the past 10 years of 247 rankings the top 12 or so programs have always stacked talent usually getting 15+ 4 stars and 2-3 5 stars each year. Now with the portal and NIL we at least have a shot of grabbing a few of those a year or two later when they realize they were signed for depth.

Those would be called busts generally. And if you're getting guys that can't play for the best teams, you're just getting better depth. Talent really isn't jumping. And it's worse when they take your top players. That's not a good swap.

Cooterpoot
12-23-2022, 02:41 PM
Going to be like the Portal in a few years/ One analyst said the other day. When half these kids start understanding that just because you leave for "greener" pastures doesn't mean that you will get a better offer and you run the risk of not only losing you scholarship but being left totally in the cold.

Nobody is going to pull a scholarship if a kid can help them. We're about to take back two of the three big portal guys we were losing. It's about about winning and money now. Ethics are long gone. You can see the tampering (RaRa).

bulldawg28
12-23-2022, 02:42 PM
Those would be called busts generally. And if you're getting guys that can't play for the best teams, you're just getting better depth. Talent really isn't jumping. And it's worse when they take your top players. That's not a good swap.

I disagree, guys want to play. They don't lose their talent because they play at a blue blood. No one is waiting 3 years to play anymore with the portal option.

R2Dawg
12-23-2022, 02:44 PM
Nobody is going to pull a scholarship if a kid can help them. We're about to take back two of the three big portal guys we were losing. It's about about winning and money now. Ethics are long gone. You can see the tampering (RaRa).

Yeah, ethics, sportsmanship, for the love of the game, for my school, etc.

What is that?

CaptainObvious
12-23-2022, 03:07 PM
RARA did not get stolen. He wanted to be the primary guy. He was fortunate that it was a Blue Blood with a little extra cash in the coffee can to help make his decision easier. If he ain?t the Lead Dog at UGA next year he will be looking for a new sled to pull. Remember. If you ain?t the Lead Dog, the scenery is always the same!

Goldendawg
12-23-2022, 05:07 PM

Read about 47% of these portal guys are landing no where. Scholarship gone and with that probably their chance for a degree. So how does the NCAA feel about these no longer "student athletes"?

Goldendawg
12-23-2022, 05:10 PM
RARA did not get stolen. He wanted to be the primary guy. He was fortunate that it was a Blue Blood with a little extra cash in the coffee can to help make his decision easier. If he ain?t the Lead Dog at UGA next year he will be looking for a new sled to pull. Remember. If you ain?t the Lead Dog, the scenery is always the same!

GA also got the SEC's leading receiver from MO in the portal yesterday. Between their TE's and guys like this RaRa better make the best of things when he is targeted and run hard on every pattern.

R2Dawg
12-23-2022, 05:21 PM
Read about 47% of these portal guys are landing no where. Scholarship gone and with that probably their chance for a degree. So how does the NCAA feel about these no longer "student athletes"?

If the player handles it the right way, they could remain with their current team. Problem is most of them don't. See the same in the working world all the time. Do it right and you can come back, do it wrong and you are done. Humility vs arrogance in how you go about it.

Goldendawg
12-23-2022, 05:38 PM
Free article om 24/7 by Steve Roberson says DJ has his decision down to 4 schools and we are one of the 4. He was one of my favorite players before his actions in announcing his entrance to the portal. I was really taken by surprise. This portal thing is a mess. Never dreamed our staff would have to recruit our own players again. My opinion means little, but it is indeed the "Wild, Wild West". Even" holier than thou" Jimbo is griping about NIL, the Portal, and tampering. ** What a joke. Our Coaches and Staff have a lot on their plate. I chose to trust them in this crazy situation. Hail State! Beat the Fighting Illini!

HancockCountyDog
12-23-2022, 05:40 PM
Some of the more dialed in posters can correct me if I'm wrong, but there weren't many recruits we signed from in-state that needed a big NIL package. Now, some did, and we stepped up and landed those players.

This year's recruiting class will depend on our evaluations and our coaches ability to develop the players we signed. We are a developmental program and that won't change.

I was told that we spent some solid NIL money keeping some talented seniors on the roster. Next year we have a chance to win 10+ games, i totally agree that we should the NIL dollars we had to bring back seniors for another season.

chef dixon
12-23-2022, 08:20 PM
Absolutely nothing has changed at the end of the day. More player movement but everyone is in the same spot recruiting wise. Just now teams can fill holes in the portal which creates a ton of parity amongst the non elite teams.

DEDawg
12-23-2022, 08:48 PM
Absolutely nothing has changed at the end of the day. More player movement but everyone is in the same spot recruiting wise. Just now teams can fill holes in the portal which creates a ton of parity amongst the non elite teams.

For now. It will be interesting to see how it plays out when we get a Chris Jones, Jeff Simmons, Dak Prescott type. We have not had a player of that caliber except maybe Cross since NIL started and he was pretty much on his way out when all this craziness really ramped up.

It is going to be such an absolute gut punch when/if that happens.

Coach34
12-23-2022, 08:56 PM

It has changed. We will no longer get the highly rated kid. We used to be able to secure the high rated kids out of Mississippi. Look for that to change which will kill us

phatdog
12-24-2022, 06:07 AM
It has changed. We will no longer get the highly rated kid. We used to be able to secure the high rated kids out of Mississippi. Look for that to change which will kill us

We'll get them out of the portal.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-24-2022, 07:08 AM
I think with the change in AD and a new focus on NIL we will be all right. Auburn took a big liability off our hands.

Cooterpoot
12-24-2022, 09:09 AM
We'll get them out of the portal.

Only if they failed to win a starting job. That's called a bust unless they had an injury or something.

Cooterpoot
12-24-2022, 09:10 AM
I think with the change in AD and a new focus on NIL we will be all right. Auburn took a big liability off our hands.

Indeed they did! Best gift of the early holiday season!

sleepy dawg
12-24-2022, 09:28 AM
Not much has changed and not much will change. People are so desperate for this to be a bad thing. We signed the same type class we always sign and that's including our transfer in and outs... probably slightly better than our average class actually. We've signed 7 5 star players in the history of our program according to 247. People who act like we're suddenly missing out on those guys are delusional. 5 stars have always been hard as shit for us to land. We've signed 3 5 stars in the past 18 years. That'll probably continue to be our rate.

Ari Gold
12-24-2022, 10:20 AM
Just keep head above water until this NIL shit is fixed and regulated ..
keep aggressively recruiting the high school kids as if the NIl didn’t exist
It will pay off in the years to come

Leroy Jenkins
12-24-2022, 10:53 AM
Only if they failed to win a starting job. That's called a bust unless they had an injury or something.

Well if they were a bust did you really miss out on anything?

MetEdDawg
12-24-2022, 10:55 AM
I joined the Bulldog Initiative today.

Now is as good a time as any to get in. $10 a month is all you have to do. We need to pump as much money as possible into our NIL. We need to keep current players and spend to get higher rated ones to come in. So while you are shelling out money for other things this season, bring $10 to the table and give to our NIL.

Leroy Jenkins
12-24-2022, 10:56 AM
We just had our top WR purchased by GA. We won't go steal a big time player from a blue blood. It's making us fall further behind the better teams. They'll now come take our top players like we take MTSUs. I see no way we will ever make the playoffs (even the expanded version). We'll be in that 15-25 range a good bit, but this is a new age. Bowl games are going to be irrelevant. The money will be in the playoffs in the future.

Let's see the numbers between Robinson and Thomas next year and we know who came out better on the Robinson/Thomas trade deal.

SpaceBully
12-26-2022, 12:58 AM
If I'm not mistaken, we'll have 5-Star opportunities coming up soon in the WR from Choctaw Co. and a DL from Lake Cormorant. Let's see if we can generate any interest from those 2 or will UGA, BAMA, & LSU just swoop in like they always do and unload the Brinks NIL truck.

Pancho
12-26-2022, 07:18 AM
I hope we are laser focused on starkville HS for a QB and a WR, West Point for a RB, IAHS for a LT and Amory for a RT. all in the 24 class

99jc
12-26-2022, 08:03 AM
I disagree, guys want to play. They don't lose their talent because they play at a blue blood. No one is waiting 3 years to play anymore with the portal option.

this is a fact the NIL Will help teams like state and ole miss. i don't understand why most of you all can't see this.

DEDawg
12-26-2022, 11:27 AM
I joined the Bulldog Initiative today.

Now is as good a time as any to get in. $10 a month is all you have to do. We need to pump as much money as possible into our NIL. We need to keep current players and spend to get higher rated ones to come in. So while you are shelling out money for other things this season, bring $10 to the table and give to our NIL.

Lets go! Spread the word, everyone on this board should be part of the BI $10/Mo minimum. That's nothing per month but really adds up if we can get 3000+ members on this board recurring