PDA

View Full Version : Jimbo steals Lane's QB at 11th hour.

Leroy Jenkins
12-21-2022, 11:32 AM
Marcel Reed, committed to OM in April, signed with aTm.

Maverick91
12-21-2022, 11:34 AM
Dog eat shark world we live in I guess.

TheLostDawg
12-21-2022, 11:34 AM
Marcel Reed, committed to OM in April, signed with aTm.

*ole miss told him to go there, they wanted the other guy

TheLostDawg
12-21-2022, 11:37 AM
*wasn't that good
*overrated
*he wanted to go to ole miss but couldn't turn down the money

Just going to beat them to the excuse they always use

Leroy Jenkins
12-21-2022, 11:38 AM
It is a little unusual since QBs are the leaders of the class many times. Then, at the last minute, you decide to go play with a signing class that you really haven't been a part of until signing day. Its like getting a portal pick up.

msstate7
12-21-2022, 11:39 AM
I quit following recruiting much, but I was pretty surprised by the low total of commits/signees by OM, 12. They must be gonna pound the portal hard again. They do have a very good avg per recruit, 90.57

MedDawg
12-21-2022, 11:42 AM
*wasn't that good
*overrated
*he wanted to go to ole miss but couldn't turn down the money

Just going to beat them to the excuse they always use

"His heart will always be in Oxford"

Also...

"Merry Flipmas!"

msstate7
12-21-2022, 11:44 AM
Any other notable flips around sec? Freeze pulled anything off?

starkvegasdawg
12-21-2022, 11:45 AM
I quit following recruiting much, but I was pretty surprised by the low total of commits/signees by OM, 12. They must be gonna pound the portal hard again. They do have a very good avg per recruit, 90.57

Lane is known for pounding...portals.

Mjoelner34
12-21-2022, 12:18 PM
Lane is known for pounding...portals.

Rep given!

StarkVegasSteve
12-21-2022, 02:42 PM
Lane will just have to wait a year and get him next year after Jimbo is canned and Lane takes his job.

PikeDawg15
12-21-2022, 02:53 PM
Any other notable flips around sec? Freeze pulled anything off?

Freeze is doing one hell of a job

Auburn was on pace for a horrible class but will finish with a top 25 class but possibly top 20

He flipped ole miss?s OT committ from southwest

Lord McBuckethead
12-21-2022, 03:04 PM

If you have an average recruit of 90.57, and you can add 15-20 or so solid contributors from other programs to your roster, that would seem to be a pretty good overall strategy for winning football games. Imagine if each year you can add 12 90.57 players to your roster, and then go out and sign 13-20 contributors with 2-4 of those being starters, every year. I believe that is a recipe for success.

Now you cannot miss a year on the portal. And those guys are probably expensive to get if they are in fact contributors.

This could be a great strategy, as long as it keeps flowing.

Reason2succeed
12-21-2022, 05:52 PM
Jimbo will go on a rant and say ATM didn?t steal anyone. He has the receipt right here. 🤣🤣🤣

Schultzy
12-21-2022, 06:37 PM
A&M is the black hole of the universe, sucking up top players from our rivals recruiting classes then sucking with them.

It’s a good process for us at least as long as the Jimbo/Bjork network is in place.

Meanwhile Arnett is doing well with retaining players and getting the Horn Lake qb back from LSU and Isaac for safety and the Miami transfer.

Coach34
12-21-2022, 07:22 PM

I'm actually with Lame on this- your signing class should be 50% HS 50% portal

Todd4State
12-22-2022, 03:51 AM

Are there even signing limits anymore?

It seems like the focus has shifted to the 85 man limit.

We should still sign 20-25 high school guys a year and then 3-5 JUCO's. Fill in the holes with the portal.

The problem I see with the portal is it's a smaller group of players and only so many that are truly SEC quality. If you sign a high school class of 12 and only half of them pan out- that's simply unsustainable. And by pan out I mean contribute. There is a big difference between having to get 4-5 players out of the portal and having to get almost an entire team out of the portal.

As far as the 85- what's the limit on players we can have? 105? What's to stop us from using NIL on the other 20 guys to pay for their college and walk on? I could definitely see teams do what college baseball has done for years and move their veteran players off of scholarship and in this new system use NIL to make up for the windfall. A guy like Austin Williams would be the perfect candidate for something like that.

Ari Gold
12-22-2022, 08:35 AM
Out of the top 50 ranked classes on signing day , OM has the lowest amount of kids signed that’s a bad sign. IMO
Yes the portal has to be used and can be very effect but it can also bite you in that ass with a few bad apples, cause locker room issues , bad culture..ect
Again there is a reason guys hit the portal, it’s a slippery slope . A bad portal class or 2 and things can go south quick
We saw that with a couple of bad back to back juco classes with Jackie..

Give me 75/25 high school to portal kids every year .. saying that I consider a portal signee like Khamauri Rogers basically a high school pick up.. from Mississippi and only out of high school one year..

Kiffin has done a good job with portal players but look at the 4 star guys they signed out of high school the last few years that have already Hit the portal... they already have 2 4star DL from last years class in the portal..
Those are the kids you are developing for you 2 deep roster , now they are leaving. Hard to fill in depth issues with portal guys , and if they are one and done portal guys same issue the next year and next ...

Johnson85
12-22-2022, 10:13 AM

I don't think that's sustainable. Let's say the average eligibility remaining for your transfers is two years. Yes, you presumably are signing immediate contributors out of the portal, but even assuming zero contrition, that puts you at about 75 players consistently. I think you need to be about 18 hs signees and 7 portal transfers on average, unless your portal transfers skew towards players with 3 years of eligibility left. But you'll presumably get to replace attrition with additional transfer signees. Not sure it's going to be unlimited forever but I think you'll always be able to go up to around 30, maybe up to 35 to at least backfill for people leaving b/c that is what is going to be most beneficial to blue bloods.

Coach34
12-22-2022, 11:30 AM
I like being closer to 50% with the portal because you have college game film on these portal guys and can see how they perform. Half your HS guys are always crapshoots on how they are going to turn out. You do however run the risk of bringing in some potential cancers but you can run them off after a season if they are

Leroy Jenkins
12-22-2022, 11:33 AM
I like being closer to 50% with the portal because you have college game film on these portal guys and can see how they perform. Half your HS guys are always crapshoots on how they are going to turn out. You do however run the risk of bringing in some potential cancers but you can run them off after a season if they are

...and portal guys have already transferred.

confucius say
12-22-2022, 01:30 PM
I think it depends on what caliber program you are, but generally I think the right balance is around 70-30.

Also, Mississippi tried to sign more than 12. They had two 4 star kids flip to other schools yesterday, one to Aggie and one to Maryland. Plus they lost out on 1 or 2. They would have signed 14-16 easily.

msstate7
12-22-2022, 03:51 PM
Unless the HS kids are playing right away, they gonna transfer. Bc of this, I'm not sure lane's strategy is that bad.

Desoto1967
12-22-2022, 04:46 PM
delete

Leroy Jenkins
12-22-2022, 04:47 PM
Some teams build through the draft, some from free agency.

confucius say
12-22-2022, 07:52 PM
Unless the HS kids are playing right away, they gonna transfer. Bc of this, I'm not sure lane's strategy is that bad.

Most are not. Ours haven't.

RisperDawg
12-22-2022, 08:12 PM
Most are not. Ours haven't.

Yeah, I'm excited to see what some of our previous classes can do this year. Collins, Trevion Williams, Harmon, Gilmore, Ty Cooper, John Lewis, etc.