PDA

View Full Version : The Shallow Cross - taught from a pioneer of the air raid concept. Chris Hatcher

yjnkdawg
12-16-2022, 06:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih5gWyHiiRU

I really like his offense. "Basketball on grass" high tempo offense. A play that works against zone or man. Pretty cool!

coachnorm
12-16-2022, 10:15 PM
I have seen this for decades. I have coached receivers and defensive backs at the high school and junior college level and this is nothing new. So much has been learned about this that defenses have over budgeted their assets to stop this type of offense. Have you noticed that in high school, college, and pros the offenses have said to hell with this and started launching deep verticals and the new crossing pattern is the over pattern that is a deep crossing pattern. BTW that combination is called YANKEE because if you combine a vertical pattern and a deep over pattern, you get the letter Y.

coachnorm
12-16-2022, 10:56 PM
One more thing about the shallow cross read sequence shown in the video. Now a days quarterbacks just run for daylight instead of hanging in the pocket when they are physically or mentally pressured. I understand that the video was a concept presentation and it is conceptually correct but the quarterbacks just take off and run in many cases in 2022. A case in point, just remember what the LSU or Arkansas quarterbacks did in 2022, did they read or run in most cases? We all suffered watching Will Rogers hold on to the ball that extra second for something to materialize and see a fumble or the ball swatted out of his hand.

Coach34
12-16-2022, 11:30 PM
Good stuff Norm. What do I do?

I go vertical with 3 and then cross my H- back to get behind the LB's. Had alot of success with that when I've had that sizeable H to take advantage. Taking the top off to open up the middle for H is an easy way to hurt a D when you have that guy at H

msu15
12-17-2022, 12:53 AM

I go vertical with 3 and then cross my H- back to get behind the LB's. Had alot of success with that when I've had that sizeable H to take advantage. Taking the top off to open up the middle for H is an easy way to hurt a D when you have that guy at H

I pray we bring back the TE, H back, hell fullback, something different under Zach.

bulldawg28
12-17-2022, 04:11 AM
One more thing about the shallow cross read sequence shown in the video. Now a days quarterbacks just run for daylight instead of hanging in the pocket when they are physically or mentally pressured. I understand that the video was a concept presentation and it is conceptually correct but the quarterbacks just take off and run in many cases in 2022. A case in point, just remember what the LSU or Arkansas quarterbacks did in 2022, did they read or run in most cases? We all suffered watching Will Rogers hold on to the ball that extra second for something to materialize and see a fumble or the ball swatted out of his hand.

Will hung unto the ball a ton waiting. I personally think it's Will's unwillingness to get hit and step up rather than coaching stay in the pocket.

TheLostDawg
12-17-2022, 05:32 AM
Will hung unto the ball a ton waiting. I personally think it's Will's unwillingness to get hit and step up rather than coaching stay in the pocket.

Which makes me curious if we take a qb transfer.

bulldawg28
12-17-2022, 08:49 AM
Which makes me curious if we take a qb transfer.

It wouldn't hurt

Tough Dawg
12-17-2022, 09:01 AM
We must take a QB in the transfer portal.

CoachT14
12-17-2022, 10:40 AM
We must take a QB in the transfer portal.

Depending on how the offense changes we might have to. I personally think we need to get a portal QB

yjnkdawg
12-17-2022, 11:25 AM
I guess I should have explained this more. When CML was the OC and Coach Hal Mumme was the HC at Valdosta State, they designed this. Chris Hatcher, who was the D2 Player of the year, his senior season, was their QB and was the first player to ever pass from it , and then when he was at Murray State he had this video teaching it. From what I have read and seen though, I like his offense, and what it has accomplished over the years. His offense can go ultra fast or slow down to milk the clock and he takes whatever the defense gives you. When the defense spreads the field, his team will take advantage of numbers to run the ball. In other words, he doesn't have any issue with running the ball when that's what the defense gives you. With a mobile quarterback, this offense should be deadly. I hope if he would consider leaving Samford, as their HC, that Arnett will have him as a potential OC candidate on his short list.

coachnorm
12-17-2022, 01:22 PM

If you do not have confidence with your H receiver in YANKEE use the outside receiver in a FLANKER DRIVE concept. This is done quite often in upper tiered football including upper tiered high school ball. FLANKER DRIVE is a RUN and SHOOT concept BTW. Have the WR run under the H vert release and then bend the pattern over instead of under the backers. Modify the FLANKER DRIVE with your H not bending inside, get the near side safety engaged with the H to keep him from getting INVOLVED with the DEEP OVER to guarantee a one-on-one relationship with the far side safety if he even shows up on time.

Go to the flash drive I sent you and find folder IPad Transfers. Go to video clip 82 SDM Deep Zip and observe this answer to your question.

StarkVegasSteve
12-17-2022, 01:31 PM
Depending on how the offense changes we might have to. I personally think we need to get a portal QB

And who would you get?

CoachT14
12-17-2022, 02:41 PM
And who would you get?

There are plenty in the portal better or that would at minimum push Will to be better. I have no idea if we can get them. That’s not my job.