PDA

View Full Version : NIL....I never knew it was this bad....

TorpedoIPA
12-15-2022, 11:37 AM
Ohio State couldn't afford a 5 star recruit....couldn't pony up but 750k. Georgia offered 1.8 million to sign and 800K per year according to this article.

https://dailycaller.com/2022/12/14/ohio-state-reportedly-outbid-college-football-recruits/

Desoto1967
12-15-2022, 11:39 AM
Lets say he's a bust. Are they still responsible for paying him every year?

Maroonthirteen
12-15-2022, 11:49 AM
Maybe the Quinn Ewers deal made Ohio St rethink what they offer in coming freshmen.

Who knows.... but a possibility.

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2022, 11:49 AM
Myles Brennan got to keep his NIL money and he didnt play one down for LSU this year.

Now, i can imagine that these NIL deals don't have requirements that the kids stay on the roster in order to get weekly/monthly payments, but for some kids getting signing bonuses - i mean, I think they get to keep it like Brennan did.

I can't imagine having 1.8 million and 800K to spend on a high school kid that could leave you in a year.

DownwardDawg
12-15-2022, 11:58 AM
Not to sound like an ass, but how could you not know? This was a disaster from the minute it became a thing. It's destroying college football on a super fast pace. Unless someone puts a cap on it quick, college football is over.

Bdawg
12-15-2022, 12:08 PM
Not to sound like an ass, but how could you not know? This was a disaster from the minute it became a thing. It's destroying college football on a super fast pace. Unless someone puts a cap on it quick, college football is over.

As I said from the beginning, if things don’t change, college ball will be dead to me. The rich get richer and it all becomes about money. Will be no sense of camaraderie and loyalty with teammates and school. They may love to play the game, but it will be with the highest bidder. Just makes the mountain even taller for us to climb. This thing evolved so fast from what it was I intended to be.

Maverick91
12-15-2022, 12:13 PM
I’m becoming less and less worried about State’s ability to keep up and more worried about the sport period. I mean this really will just destroy everything like Downwarddawg said. Like about saving the ship at this point not just one room on that ship.

Homedawg
12-15-2022, 12:20 PM

yep, and there is no stopping it. Well, until its ruined. Gets closer by the day.

msudawglb
12-15-2022, 12:28 PM
yep, and there is no stopping it. Well, until its ruined. Gets closer by the day.

maybe it will encourage universities to improve their academics so that they can produce more graduates that can make great salaries to supply the NIL pool. ****

RocketDawg
12-15-2022, 01:01 PM
Ohio State couldn't afford a 5 star recruit....couldn't pony up but 750k. Georgia offered 1.8 million to sign and 800K per year according to this article.

https://dailycaller.com/2022/12/14/ohio-state-reportedly-outbid-college-football-recruits/

That's ridiculous. Assuming he stays for 4 years, that's $5M. For a college player.

Coursesuper
12-15-2022, 01:06 PM

Yep, cant say it any better than this.

viverlibre
12-15-2022, 01:07 PM

Let's get real, college isn't going to be over in our lifetimes. However, it will change as we know it now.

Most years there are about 10 teams that have a realistic chance at the playoff, with a Cincinnati, TCU, Ok State, Mich State, etc., popping up every few years. College football ain't going anywhere, in fact TV revenues are probably going to increase with the 12 team playoff. In stadium attendance will continue to decline as it has for several years.

The transfer portal is the biggest issue facing college football now, we usually grow attached to a player over a two or three year career, that can be severely impacted by the portal. It needs to be reigned in, the easiest way is going back to sitting out a year.

CovertDawg
12-15-2022, 01:09 PM
This is obviously unsustainable. Would be better off making it a professional sport where franchises license the name from the school... and lease the stadium/facilites from the school as well. You would have a draft and salary cap. Perhaps do some territorial rights thing where Mississippi State can take X number of players from its home state each year. The AFC would be the BIG TEN and the NFC would be the SEC. It would be the NFL for 18-22 year olds but with team names affiliated with each University.

Cooterpoot
12-15-2022, 01:23 PM
Most of those stories are exaggerated but it's still crazy.

Dawgface
12-15-2022, 01:24 PM
Another nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.

msstatelp1
12-15-2022, 01:31 PM
Yes. NIL cannot have "performance" clauses or incentives from what I understand. They are literally getting paid for their Name, Image, and Likeness.

bulldawg28
12-15-2022, 02:01 PM
Maybe the Quinn Ewers deal made Ohio St rethink what they offer in coming freshmen.

Who knows.... but a possibility.

1000%. It should

bulldawg28
12-15-2022, 02:02 PM
They should make the NIL an opportunity after your sophomore year.

ScoobaDawg
12-15-2022, 02:08 PM
Yes. NIL cannot have "performance" clauses or incentives from what I understand. They are literally getting paid for their Name, Image, and Likeness.

exactly. no pay for play. yearly contract. no tax write off (usually...) .
and yea.. I don't believe most of these stories for one sec. Noone is going to share their employment agreement

Lord McBuckethead
12-15-2022, 02:08 PM
AND JUST IMAGINE, the sport is worth way more money than that to these schools and fanbases.
They will pay it, until it no longer is worth it.
Capitalism. Pure and simple. Why is everyone worried about this? If the kid is worth that, then he will get it.

RocketDawg
12-15-2022, 03:33 PM

When I first heard of NIL, I assumed it meant they could get small sums for autographs, pictures, etc. - like the name says, name, image and likeness - and that seemed OK. Now it's turned into paying players like the NFL, and has done so is just a year or two. Next thing you know, they won't even have to sign up for classes.

Extendedcab
12-15-2022, 03:38 PM
When I first heard of NIL, I assumed it meant they could get small sums for autographs, pictures, etc. - like the name says, name, image and likeness - and that seemed OK. Now it's turned into paying players like the NFL, and has done so is just a year or two. Next thing you know, they won't even have to sign up for classes.

Signing up for class is one thing, but how about attending class and earning a meaningful degree that will benefit them post-football? You know the old student-athlete (student is listed first) concept.

Activated Alpha
12-15-2022, 03:46 PM
At this point I hope they all get audited by the IRS and have to pay back restitution. Screw it and I hope it all burns down to the ground

Desoto1967
12-15-2022, 03:53 PM
Are these players free agents or represented by someone? I could see some high school coaches driving to make a buck or two here

Lord McBuckethead
12-15-2022, 03:56 PM
All they have to do is declare the amount they received, pay their required FICA and taxes, and they are good to go.
It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. If you receive money, have a CPA take care of it.
I am sure all the NIL funds are going to be filed through 1099. So, maybe they all should be paying quarterly taxes, but beyond that, just pay your money and you are good to go from a federal/state point of view.

Goldendawg
12-15-2022, 04:10 PM
Signing up for class is one thing, but how about attending class and earning a meaningful degree that will benefit them post-football? You know the old student-athlete (student is listed first) concept.

Read 47% or so of portal "student athletes" are not even landing at another school. When will this be addressed? They are throwing away an opportunity for a degree which should help later in life. Many don't care and only want be$t deal now and are sure they will make the league. Bet there will be some great GPA's as they jump from school to school.

viverlibre
12-15-2022, 04:16 PM
Read 47% or so of portal "student athletes" are not even landing at another school. When will this be addressed? They are throwing away an opportunity for a degree which should help later in life. Many don't care and only want be$t deal now and are sure they will make the league. Bet there will be some great GPA's as they jump from school to school.

I think they can go into the portal and withdraw to come back to their original school, it the desired interest isn't shown. A decent amount of these kids are "encouraged" to enter the portal by their current coaches because they're not going to contribute much.

Goldendawg
12-15-2022, 04:22 PM
I think they can go into the portal and withdraw to come back to their original school, it the desired interest isn't shown. A decent amount of these kids are "encouraged" to enter the portal by their current coaches because they're not going to contribute much.

I bet most that go into the portal are not welcomed back, the Coach has moved on, and that scholarship is long gone to someone else. Stats I read is they are now on the their own and didn't find a new place to play.

Really Clark?
12-15-2022, 04:37 PM

The percentages are based kids who don't find a new scholarship spot or end up trying to walk on somewhere else. Kids who come back to there original school are not included those numbers.

coachnorm
12-15-2022, 04:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpddy6yu-b8

I have posted ad nauseum about the difference between a collective affiliated with a university and a person to business NIL relationship. Some fellow elitedoggers did not really receive my message so I decided to introduce this video to further add to the knowledge relatable to NIL.

viverlibre
12-15-2022, 04:54 PM
I bet most that go into the portal are not welcomed back, the Coach has moved on, and that scholarship is long gone to someone else. Stats I read is they are now on the their own and didn't find a new place to play.

A good player would certainly likely be welcome back over someone who was encouraged to enter the portal. Michael Katz, Ole Miss Beat Writer, just said on Jake Whimberly's show that some players in the portal are continuing to practice with their teams and will play in bowl games. He did not say specifically what players or schools, but he said it did happen. Obviously more talented players are treated differently than less talented players.

MadDawg
12-15-2022, 05:17 PM

LMAO

Biggest farce in the history of sports. There may be a couple dozen players over the entire landscape of college sports actually being paid for "name, image and likeness". All the rest are being paid because they are the starting XX for XXU. Their name, image or likeness is the absolute last thing they are being paid for.

RocketDawg
12-15-2022, 06:08 PM
All they have to do is declare the amount they received, pay their required FICA and taxes, and they are good to go.
It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. If you receive money, have a CPA take care of it.
I am sure all the NIL funds are going to be filed through 1099. So, maybe they all should be paying quarterly taxes, but beyond that, just pay your money and you are good to go from a federal/state point of view.

True, but do 18 year old kids know to do all that?

Apoplectic
12-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Meh only bama Clemson and Ohio state are going suffer with the playing field being leveled

Coach34
12-15-2022, 08:50 PM
True, but do 18 year old kids know to do all that?

Do you really think these HS Sr's are dealing 1 on 1 with recruiters and NIL's now? Dude- recruits have a whole team of people involved with their recruitment now.

Apoplectic
12-15-2022, 08:56 PM
Do you really think these HS Sr's are dealing 1 on 1 with recruiters and NIL's now? Dude- recruits have a whole team of people involved with their recruitment now.

Won?t be long now before sexton starts reping croots

RocketDawg
12-15-2022, 09:38 PM

They don't necessarily get the best advice though.

Coach34
12-15-2022, 10:06 PM
They don't necessarily get the best advice though.

agreed. But dont be confused. These guys have a team already

Anonymous
12-15-2022, 10:45 PM
AND JUST IMAGINE, the sport is worth way more money than that to these schools and fanbases.
They will pay it, until it no longer is worth it.
Capitalism. Pure and simple. Why is everyone worried about this? If the kid is worth that, then he will get it.

And high school recruits simply aren?t, that?s the other side. Let dumb coaches pay dumb amounts of money, spend it until it?s gone. Proven commodities, sure, but in 10 years high school recruits will be getting a very small fraction of total NIL dollars.

The portal is actually the saving grace here, even the idiots will soon realize it?s more cost effective to pay less for recruits and more for guys who have proven their worth.

SpaceBully
12-16-2022, 10:15 PM

How much should we offer the future 5-Star WR from Choctaw County in the near future? You figure OM, UGA, and BAMA have their checkbooks already out for him.

SpaceBully
12-16-2022, 10:21 PM
I?m becoming less and less worried about State?s ability to keep up and more worried about the sport period. I mean this really will just destroy everything like Downwarddawg said. Like about saving the ship at this point not just one room on that ship.

With us being such a small market school, it will put great pressure on having a coaching staff that is good at coaching up 2 & 3 star athletes. And we might get few 4 stars occasionally who really want to play for us.

bulldawg28
12-17-2022, 04:16 AM
With us being such a small market school, it will put great pressure on having a coaching staff that is good at coaching up 2 & 3 star athletes. And we might get few 4 stars occasionally who really want to play for us.

2 star? A 2 star player is not physically gifted to play in the SEC.

Maroonthirteen
12-17-2022, 05:40 AM
As I read this article and think back about how much bigger and faster UGA was than us.... also how their fans showed up in large numbers and we had poor home attendance most of the year.

....my prediction is that most college football games will look a lot like UGA v Vandy on the field and in the stands. The fan participation will be similar, respectively. One set of fans doubling down, paying whatever is asked of them for players, tickets and donations. Then the other group of fans just giving up.... No NIL, not buying tickets and not showing up for games.

BB30
12-17-2022, 10:08 AM

This is what I've been trying to get across all football season.

If you aren't happy with 6-6 to 9-3 with and outside shot at 10+ wins every 4-5 years which by the money is overachieving for us. Then those complaining don't need to blame the coaches they need to open their pocket books.

We will never be a 10+ win team consistently unless more money starts to roll in. We are poor compared to the majority of the rest of the conference and even OM is starting to leave us in the dust on nil money raised.

Some of our fans want alabama results on a natty light budget and that's not realistic. Our coaches are hamstrung by what our fans choose to give. Now in college sports you can debate if that's right or wrong but it is what it is at this point. Either we all pony up and pay to play or we don't.

TorpedoIPA
12-17-2022, 10:37 AM
This is what I've been trying to get across all football season.

If you aren't happy with 6-6 to 9-3 with and outside shot at 10+ wins every 4-5 years which by the money is overachieving for us. Then those complaining don't need to blame the coaches they need to open their pocket books.

We will never be a 10+ win team consistently unless more money starts to roll in. We are poor compared to the majority of the rest of the conference and even OM is starting to leave us in the dust on nil money raised.

Some of our fans want alabama results on a natty light budget and that's not realistic. Our coaches are hamstrung by what our fans choose to give. Now in college sports you can debate if that's right or wrong but it is what it is at this point. Either we all pony up and pay to play or we don't.

At what point do we say that the whole thing is insane and a waste of financial resources ? Just how important is it to be able to say you won a football game on saturday because you were able to outspend the other team ?

How I yearn for the good ole days .......