PDA

View Full Version : Who should be our OC?

Lloyd Christmas
12-14-2022, 05:04 PM
Discuss.

Lloyd Christmas
12-14-2022, 05:08 PM
Personally, I hope we go with an outside hire. Just drop a shitload of cash on a modern air raid guy.

StarkVegasSteve
12-14-2022, 05:12 PM
Graham Harrell will be mentioned, Seth Litrell, Zach Kittley, Jake Spavital, Matt Mumme

If it is in house I would prefer to give it to Miller or Hollingshead over Spurrier. And I am not wild about giving it to either of those two.

TrapGame
12-14-2022, 05:17 PM
I'd go after Graham Harrell.

jacksondawg
12-14-2022, 05:19 PM
I really like Harrell, but can see the benefit or bringing Litrell in to provide some HC experience on staff.

parabrave
12-14-2022, 05:20 PM
No to Spurrier/

Lloyd Christmas
12-14-2022, 05:20 PM

West Virginia was pretty meh with him as an OC this year.

SailingDawg
12-14-2022, 05:21 PM
Can we get Hal Mumme for two weeks?

dawgday166
12-14-2022, 05:22 PM
West Virginia was pretty meh with him as an OC this year.

Yea but also his 1st year as OC there. He did alright at USC the 2 previous years.

Lloyd Christmas
12-14-2022, 05:24 PM
No to Spurrier/

Agreed. Too many of our fans see his name instead of his lackluster resume. I just get a bad vibe off the dude.

Lloyd Christmas
12-14-2022, 05:25 PM
Yea but also his 1st year as OC there. He did alright at USC the 2 previous years.

With the money we'll be able to throw around, I'd like to aim a little higher.

Bark
12-14-2022, 05:26 PM
I like Seth Litrell and Zach Kittley but who knows what happens. I didn't expect us to hire a football coach before an AD. I hope Zach is is the most successful coach we've ever had.

BuckyIsAB****
12-14-2022, 05:29 PM
Spurrier Jr should get it. He has earned it and he would tweak it a little. He would do well. Leach trusted him enough to be in the box and that is the biggest one Leach communicated with during games. Tells you all you need to know

TrapGame
12-14-2022, 05:32 PM
Spurrier Jr should get it. He has earned it and he would tweak it a little. He would do well. Leach trusted him enough to be in the box and that is the biggest one Leach communicated with during games. Tells you all you need to know

Hmmm, everyone around here has a different opinion on Jr. So, this is quite enlightening.

dawgday166
12-14-2022, 05:33 PM
Hmmm, everyone around here has a different opinion on Jr. So, this is quite enlightening.

You trust all their opinions. The same ones were hollering "fire Leach" too. As for me, I dunno. Most of what comes out on this board is false or overblown anyway.

KOdawg1
12-14-2022, 05:33 PM
Chris Hatcher

TrapGame
12-14-2022, 05:35 PM
You trust all their opinions. The same ones were hollering "fire Leach" too. As for me, I dunno. Most of what comes out on this board is false or overblown anyway.

I trust opinions around here like a trust three day old gas station sushi.

BuckyIsAB****
12-14-2022, 05:37 PM
The only real hire to make is a QB coach. We have Trey Tinsley who has been here 2 years that may get a shot. If we bring in someone it needs to be an established OC. Nothing else is worth running Spurrier off. He is a great dude and a good coach/recruiter that has paid his dues

dawgday166
12-14-2022, 05:37 PM
I trust opinions around here like a trust three day old gas station sushi.

Yea .. I figured as such LOL. I meant it as a question and I'm guessing you took it that way.

BuckyIsAB****
12-14-2022, 05:38 PM
Chris Hatcher

I would be fine with this

dawgday166
12-14-2022, 05:41 PM
The only real hire to make is a QB coach. We have Trey Tinsley who has been here 2 years that may get a shot. If we bring in someone it needs to be an established OC. Nothing else is worth running Spurrier off. He is a great dude and a good coach/recruiter that has paid his dues

Naw man ... he's a sorry bum according to everyone on here and over on 247 too **** But those same ones seemed to have had qualms with Leach too to the point that he couldn't do anything right. Now they all saying we need to stick with the Air Raid (except 7). SMFH.

Personally, I'm just gonna trust Zach. It's his job now.

yjnkdawg
12-14-2022, 05:54 PM
Seth Littrell

DownwardDawg
12-14-2022, 05:56 PM

This is who I think it'll be.

BuckyIsAB****
12-14-2022, 06:00 PM
Seth Littrell

Would be ok with this too. Just need to be prepared if Spurrier Jr doesnt get it, he could easily leave

Cooterpoot
12-14-2022, 06:23 PM

Not happening. And thank god it's not!

BuckyIsAB****
12-14-2022, 06:25 PM

Darn

msstate7
12-14-2022, 06:32 PM

Hopefully we nail this one

Pinto
12-14-2022, 06:34 PM
Dan Mullen - Asst Head Coach/OC/QB Coach

Vandownbytheriver
12-14-2022, 06:36 PM
Coach34. He's known since the Spring Leach was retiring and wanted to keep his options open during the high school playoffs in case something happened before the end of the year****

KOdawg1
12-14-2022, 06:37 PM
Dan Mullen - Asst Head Coach/OC/QB Coach

Haaaaaale no

CoachT14
12-14-2022, 06:44 PM
It?s not the Spurrier is so bad. It?s that he?s never called plays. So you?re not only taking risks with Arnett at HC. You?re taking a risk at OC.

gtowndawg
12-14-2022, 06:49 PM
Why has no one been interested in Spurrier Jr all these years (as an OC or HC)? That to me is a red flag. Tell me if I'm wrong....

Turfdawg67
12-14-2022, 06:55 PM
Naw man ... he's a sorry bum according to everyone on here and over on 247 too **** But those same ones seemed to have had qualms with Leach too to the point that he couldn't do anything right. Now they all saying we need to stick with the Air Raid (except 7). SMFH.

Personally, I'm just gonna trust Zach. It's his job now.

MS7, just like 90%+ of us, are tickled to death with the air raid, as long as it is a modern, updated version. More running, more vertical passing, running QB, etc...

HoopsDawg
12-14-2022, 06:57 PM
we have to hit a homerun with this OC hire.

Santiago
12-14-2022, 07:18 PM

And an OC that can provide stability more than one year. One that does not flash for a year and then leave , taking your skill players.
Arnett could be that HC we have wanted that wants to be in Starkville, and is emotionally connected to the university and the people, and vice versa.

StarkVegasSteve
12-14-2022, 07:23 PM
And an OC that can provide stability more than one year. One that does not flash for a year and then leave , taking your skill players.
Arnett could be that HC we have wanted that wants to be in Starkville, and is emotionally connected to the university and the people, and vice versa.

Listening to Arnett talk it really seems like he loves Starkville. Could that be coach speak? Absolutely. Could that change now that he's in the big chair? Absolutely. But I really do believe he enjoys being in Starkville and at Mississippi State.

Dawgface
12-14-2022, 07:25 PM

Matt Wyatt says it s/b Spurrier jr. Saw it on a yt video recorded yesterday. He also predicted/suggested Arnett would get the HC job in that interview. See roughly the 12 min mark and beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soCA8Ts2py8&t=635s&ab_channel=NextRoundLive

trojandawg
12-14-2022, 07:32 PM
Littrell would be my first call. He was really successful and had one of the top offenses. He got fired because he couldn't win bowl games and conference championship but he was getting there. I say make him the guy. Lot of experience and a good offensive guy. Can recruit Texas Oklahoma for guys to run this offense.

Harrell would be my second choice.

Chuck3124
12-14-2022, 07:45 PM
I?d at least kick the tires and call Garrett Riley. Probably wouldn?t leave TCU but it?s worth a shot

civildawg
12-14-2022, 07:48 PM
I just don?t think you can have first timers at HC, OC, and DC. That?s a recipe for disaster

Jarius
12-14-2022, 07:48 PM
Chris Hatcher

Yea I heard that name thrown around. Would be an excellent hire.

CoachT14
12-14-2022, 07:49 PM
I just don?t think you can have first timers at HC, OC, and DC. That?s a recipe for disaster

Nail on head.

HancockCountyDog
12-14-2022, 07:51 PM

Harrell and WVU are interesting. I was surprised by the 50/50 run pass split. I certainly am for it.

DownwardDawg
12-14-2022, 07:52 PM
Matt Wyatt says it s/b Spurrier jr. Saw it on a yt video recorded yesterday. He also predicted/suggested Arnett would get the HC job in that interview. See roughly the 12 min mark and beyond.

Matt knows football. Especially State football.

KOdawg1
Yea I heard that name thrown around. Would be an excellent hire.

I think it would be beneficial to have a guy with head coaching experience on staff for Zach to lean on.

HancockCountyDog

Totally agree. Im having a hard time thinking of someone that will run a true air raid.

Would that push us to look for a QB in the portal?

KOdawg1
12-14-2022, 07:53 PM

HC- Zach Arnett
OC- Chris Hatcher
DC- Rocky Long

Problem solved.

Homedawg
12-14-2022, 07:55 PM
HC- Zach Arnett
OC- Chris Hatcher
DC- Rocky Long
Problem solved.

Again, a coach would have to leave. We have ONE spot at present.

Homedawg
12-14-2022, 07:57 PM

For the bowl game. Beyond not a done deal for sure

KOdawg1
12-14-2022, 07:58 PM

I'm aware dude.

All of the assistants aren't going to stay.

HancockCountyDog
12-14-2022, 07:58 PM
HC- Zach Arnett
OC- Chris Hatcher
DC- Rocky Long

Problem solved.

Isn't Rocky Long like 70+?

Im not saying that is a deal breaker, but I'm just saying....

KOdawg1
12-14-2022, 07:59 PM
Isn't Rocky Long like 70+?

Im not saying that is a deal breaker, but I'm just saying....

Rocky Long was sort of a joke. Sort of...

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 08:07 PM
Totally agree. Im having a hard time thinking of someone that will run a true air raid.

Would that push us to look for a QB in the portal?

Not necessarily. Hatcher and Harrell all had QB's that were drop back style passers. Western Kentucky ran an Air Raid similar to ours as well.

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 08:08 PM
HC- Zach Arnett
OC- Chris Hatcher
DC- Rocky Long

Problem solved.

Leach tried to bring Long on as our DC when he was hired. And Long said no because he wanted to stay out west. I'd guess that it's very unlikely that has changed in three years.

Homedawg
12-14-2022, 08:13 PM
I'm aware dude.

All of the assistants aren't going to stay.

Ok which one is leaving?? You tell me ...

StarkVegasSteve
12-14-2022, 08:14 PM

No we have 2. We don't have an OC/QB coach and don't have a DC. We have room for an OC and a DC unless Arnett is going to call it

Jarius
12-14-2022, 08:17 PM
No we have 2. We don't have an OC/QB coach and don't have a DC. We have room for an OC and a DC unless Arnett is going to call it

We only have 1 on the field coaching position currently available, unless you think we went an entire year without a coach on the field that we could have had, which would be the first time in history that had happened to my knowledge. We only lost 1 Coach and that is Leach. Now more than leach could leave and open up a spot but currently we have 1 spot available.

Homedawg
12-14-2022, 08:18 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear. We have one open spot, coach leach's. There is a limit on staff members. We have one to replace. So either ZA stays at dc and we hire one guy. OR, someone has to leave to get an OC and a DC. Or whatever he wants to do to reshuffle. Fact is AT PRESENT we have one opening. That's not debatable.

Mathiston
12-14-2022, 08:20 PM
HC- Zach Arnett
OC- Chris Hatcher
DC- Rocky Long

Problem solved.

You?re clueless man. It?s going to be Spurrier and Rocky Long has to be 75 years old.

DownwardDawg
12-14-2022, 08:20 PM
We only have 1 on the field coaching position currently available, unless you think we went an entire year without a coach on the field that we could have had, which would be the first time in history that had happened to my knowledge. We only lost 1 Coach and that is Leach. Now more than leach could leave and open up a spot but currently we have 1 spot available.

So, when Leach was HC, who was the OC? Spurrier?

Really Clark?
12-14-2022, 08:24 PM

Leach was his own OC but nobody had just OC as a title. We had a full staff, with Leach passing we only have 1 open position.

KOdawg1
12-14-2022, 08:26 PM

Not sure. But rarely does a new coach take over and every single coach stay. But maybe they do this time. Hell I don't know.

I'm sure you'll let me know if it doesn't happen as you like to pick apart my posts for some reason. Can't make a damn post without you running to tell me why I'm wrong.

KOdawg1
12-14-2022, 08:27 PM
You?re clueless man. It?s going to be Spurrier and Rocky Long has to be 75 years old.

If you kept reading like 2 posts down, you'd see that I was joking. Reading may be difficult for you, idk.

It's not going to be Spurrier though.

StarkVegasSteve
12-14-2022, 08:29 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear. We have one open spot, coach leach's. There is a limit on staff members. We have one to replace. So either ZA stays at dc and we hire one guy. OR, someone has to leave to get an OC and a DC. Or whatever he wants to do to reshuffle. Fact is AT PRESENT we have one opening. That's not debatable.

Ahh you are right. I always forget we have two receiver coaches.

Jarius
12-14-2022, 08:34 PM

Leach was his own OC. I do believe spurrier was the closest thing to that.

BuckyIsAB****
12-14-2022, 08:52 PM
The defense is not going to change. No reason for it to.

Spurrier Jr has a real shot at it and tbh if you believe what Leach believed in and valued (loyalty) then he deserves it.

If we could get Littrell Hatcher or Harrell I am down for it. But I dont think that is likely

Homedawg
12-14-2022, 09:14 PM

Leach...

Homedawg
12-14-2022, 09:15 PM
Not sure. But rarely does a new coach take over and every single coach stay. But maybe they do this time. Hell I don't know.

I'm sure you'll let me know if it doesn't happen as you like to pick apart my posts for some reason. Can't make a damn post without you running to tell me why I'm wrong.

I don't intend to. But.... rowdy Jordan should be benched is stuck in my head!!! Hahaha
But I wasn't picking your post apart I was factually pointing out that we have one spot not two and you got all pissy. So there's that

Homedawg
12-14-2022, 09:17 PM
Ahh you are right. I always forget we have two receiver coaches.

It will be interesting to see if the new OC, whoever it is implements a te or any other position. I hope so but...

StarkVegasSteve
12-14-2022, 09:21 PM
It will be interesting to see if the new OC, whoever it is implements a te or any other position. I hope so but...

Just depends completely on the OC hire. We also are going to have to get a QB coach. I would assume that would be the new OC if it was an outside hire

KOdawg1
12-14-2022, 09:27 PM
I don't intend to. But.... rowdy Jordan should be benched is stuck in my head!!! Hahaha
But I wasn't picking your post apart I was factually pointing out that we have one spot not two and you got all pissy. So there's that

I said Rowdy should be benched to clear his head. He got benched. It worked I'd say.

I never said we had two spots available.

paverdog
12-14-2022, 09:34 PM
Do you think the new OC weather it's Spurrier or anyone else be tight end set's, run plays more ext?

NeuteredDawg
12-14-2022, 09:59 PM
The last OC we hired whose previous role was WR coach was Luke Getsy.

msstate7
12-14-2022, 09:59 PM
Who's the OC for the bowl game?

KOdawg1
12-14-2022, 10:16 PM
Spurrier

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 10:17 PM

Spurrier.

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 10:18 PM
Just depends completely on the OC hire. We also are going to have to get a QB coach. I would assume that would be the new OC if it was an outside hire

That's why I don't think it's Littrell. He hasn't coached QB's I don't think.

mo7888
12-14-2022, 10:25 PM
I think it's going to come down to Spurrier, Hatcher, or Harrell...

PikeDawg15
12-14-2022, 10:36 PM
Hire Hatcher and if spurrier wants to leave

Bring Bumphis Home

Really Clark?
12-14-2022, 10:37 PM
That's why I don't think it's Littrell. He hasn't coached QB's I don't think.

That's correct. RB's was his position. As an OC, it's a really good track record. 2011 at Arizona 38th nationally scoring. 2012 at Indiana 51st (they were 101st the year before), 2013 Indiana 16th, 2014 North Carolina 38th, 2015 North Carolina 9th nationally.

msstate7
12-14-2022, 10:39 PM
Surely an OC with any track record isn't gonna come when his whole offensive sTaff is already set

Really Clark?
12-14-2022, 10:46 PM
Surely an OC with any track record isn't gonna come when his whole offensive sTaff is already set

When has an assistant coach selected the entire staff of his side of the ball? At very most you hear of a coordinator bringing 1 coach he would like to have with him. The HC makes the staffing decisions on both sides of the ball.

msstate7
12-14-2022, 10:51 PM
When has an assistant coach selected the entire staff of his side of the ball? At very most you hear of a coordinator bringing 1 coach he would like to have with him. The HC makes the staffing decisions on both sides of the ball.

I would think they have some say so though. Maybe I'm misremembering

TheLostDawg
12-14-2022, 10:57 PM
So leach was
HC,OC, and qb coach

So we have to find a coach that runs, at least some sort, the air raid and can coach qb
To have one with experience at coaching duties is a priority. Otherwise like someone mentioned we're going to have a lot of inexperience when it comes to play calling.
I feel like this staff is going to have a short leash due to how quickly this was done. The next hire is critical.

TheLostDawg
12-14-2022, 10:58 PM
Hughes has HC experience and has been at state a long time. Arnett has someone to lean on. However we all know TH isn't going to be calling plays, but he can be a mentor of sorts.

Really Clark?
12-14-2022, 11:01 PM
I would think they have some say so though. Maybe I'm misremembering

I mean I'm sure they have some input to fill a spot if asked but if the HC already has a staff in place that he wants, the coordinator will work with those coaches. He won't demand bring his own entire staff. And you really can't, if it becomes a bad marriage you could have divided loyalties among the staff.

memsu06
12-14-2022, 11:22 PM
Leach tried to bring Long on as our DC when he was hired. And Long said no because he wanted to stay out west. I'd guess that it's very unlikely that has changed in three years.

Leach was looking for a defense that gave him the most trouble on offense. He wanted to hire Long, but Long turned it down but told him he needed to contact Zach. Zach had already been hired by Syracuse, but Leach convinced him to come to MSU. Syracuse went on to hire another DC from the Long coaching tree.

Leach knew running an unconventional defense would give him another edge. Teams now had to prepare for both our offense and defense.

Just another example of what hiring Leach did for MSU.

I really wish we had hired him after Mullen. Hell, we may have had Gardner Minshew as our QB then.

Zach with our 2018 defense would have been something to see.

HoopsDawg
12-14-2022, 11:46 PM

If Spurrier gets passed over for OC, he would probably leave. I would rather have an OC and a DC than 2 WR coaches.

msu15
12-14-2022, 11:59 PM
Leach was looking for a defense that gave him the most trouble on offense. He wanted to hire Long, but Long turned it down but told him he needed to contact Zach. Zach had already been hired by Syracuse, but Leach convinced him to come to MSU. Syracuse went on to hire another DC from the Long coaching tree.

Leach knew running an unconventional defense would give him another edge. Teams now had to prepare for both our offense and defense.

Just another example of what hiring Leach did for MSU.

I really wish we had hired him after Mullen. Hell, we may have had Gardner Minshew as our QB then.

Zach with our 2018 defense would have been something to see.
There are about 200 guys that would've been a better(and realistic I might add) hire than Moorhead was for that 2018 team. Cohen dropped the ball, is what it is.

trojandawg
12-15-2022, 12:12 AM
If you want the offense to evolve I would bring in one of those guys from the outside but they have been around the offense and know it. They can evolve it.

Spurrier junior been around awhile but never been offered a big head coach job. Given his pedigree I find that strange.

Harrell is a young guy And knows qbs. He coached mason fine along with Littrell. Littrell is a running back guy though so you lose the running backs coach if he comes on. But he has that head coach experience. Hatcher brings both qb coach experience and hc experience. But it recent times his qb pedigree is not as high as Harrell or Littrell. I think that's who we need to focus on. Who has the best qb pedigree now because we don't have leach anymore to whisper to them.

trojandawg
12-15-2022, 12:14 AM
Exactly. Need someone with qb and play calling experience.

Cowbell
12-15-2022, 07:35 AM

I sure hope so

Dawgface
12-15-2022, 08:48 AM
I think Spurrier jr will be disappointed and probably leave if he doesn't get the OC position. Go to the 3:55 sec mark of the below video. From an interview earlier this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HBaxkufZzk&ab_channel=MattWyatt

BrunswickDawg
12-15-2022, 08:49 AM
Chris Hatcher isn't coming here to be OC - he's a sitting HC at a G5. If we aren't going in-house then we need Harrell or Littrel

Hot Rock
12-15-2022, 08:57 AM
Let's get this done after signing day and the bowl game. OC hire can wait.

If the guy you want is on staff, let him game plan and play call during the bowl game. You will have just a little bit more information in order to make your decision.

What's the hurry on it? You have the majority of the Offensive recruiting in place, QB, OL, RB and even some WR's. Sure, we might could get another key player or two but getting the right OC in place is way more important.

Hot Rock
12-15-2022, 09:05 AM
Let's get this done after signing day and the bowl game. OC hire can wait.

If the guy you want is on staff, let him game plan and play call during the bowl game. You will have just a little bit more information in order to make your decision.

What's the hurry on it? You have the majority of the Offensive recruiting in place, QB, OL, RB and even some WR's. Sure, we might could get another key player or two but getting the right OC in place is way more important.

sorry, meant to post to OP

CoachT14
12-15-2022, 09:12 AM
Chris Hatcher isn't coming here to be OC - he's a sitting HC at a G5. If we aren't going in-house then we need Harrell or Littrel

He's an FCS head coach, there have been several in the past few years who have made that same transition. If he has a want to coach in Division 1, this is one of his better routes.

CoachT14
12-15-2022, 09:14 AM

What OC wouldn't want to come and call their own plays without Head Coach oversight?

I'm not saying Arnett will do that. But Leach let him do it, so it's not far fetched to think he would do the same for OC.

Desoto1967
12-15-2022, 09:14 AM
Probably already on staff

CoachT14
12-15-2022, 09:23 AM
Probably already on staff

First time HC, first time OC, first time DC.

That's not worrisome at all.

TrapGame
12-15-2022, 09:24 AM
I was going to bring up Robert Annae from Syracuse but NC State just stole him.

Reason2succeed
12-15-2022, 09:36 AM
I would make a call to Kliff Kingsbury for the OC position. This would be a great opportunity for him to rehabilitate his career in the SEC. He has head coaching experience even if it?s not the most successful. He has national name recognition. He?s a young guy and should be able to recruit.

msstate7
12-15-2022, 09:41 AM
I would make a call to Kliff Kingsbury for the OC position. This would be a great opportunity for him to rehabilitate his career in the SEC. He has head coaching experience even if it?s not the most successful. He has national name recognition. He?s a young guy and should be able to recruit.

OC in nfl more likely.

Reason2succeed
12-15-2022, 09:46 AM
He may want to get back to college football though. I think it is worth making the call at least.

Would you want him if he said yes?

TrapGame
12-15-2022, 09:47 AM

I don't think KK likes recruiting. And going from NFL head coach to college OC would be a huge fall from grace.

The more I think about it I think Littrell would be the best option. AR pedigree w/ HC experience.

msstate7
12-15-2022, 09:52 AM
He may want to get back to college football though. I think it is worth making the call at least.

Would you want him if he said yes?

Absolutely

HoopsCoach21
12-15-2022, 10:13 AM
I don't think KK likes recruiting. And going from NFL head coach to college OC would be a huge fall from grace.

The more I think about it I think Littrell would be the best option. AR pedigree w/ HC experience.

I've seen the Littrell name a lot, and I think he would be a good fit. I like the fact that he's got head coaching experience and could help Arnett out there.

My question is why was he let go at North Texas? I haven't kept up with them at all. It seems as though he had them pretty competitive.

Really Clark?
12-15-2022, 10:20 AM
I've seen the Littrell name a lot, and I think he would be a good fit. I like the fact that he's got head coaching experience and could help Arnett out there.

My question is why was he let go at North Texas? I haven't kept up with them at all. It seems as though he had them pretty competitive.

They never won their bowl games and couldn't get over the hump to the next level. He was 44-44 at North Texas. Had a couple of really good years followed by 2 4 win seasons then .500 the last 2 years.

CoachT14
12-15-2022, 10:31 AM

I think the admin wanted new blood. He's a good offensive coach though. He's probably at the top of my list for OC besides Riley.

Todd4State
12-15-2022, 10:34 AM

I wouldn't be shocked at all if that's what we do. Everyone gets a mulligan with this so there's no pressure for the administration if it doesn't work out.

CoachT14
12-15-2022, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't be shocked at all if that's what we do. Everyone gets a mulligan with this so there's no pressure for the administration if it doesn't work out.

I hope not. We are setting Arnett up for failure with that.

Todd4State
12-15-2022, 10:36 AM
They never won their bowl games and couldn't get over the hump to the next level. He was 44-44 at North Texas. Had a couple of really good years followed by 2 4 win seasons then .500 the last 2 years.

I'm just not sold on Littrell. I've watched some film of them and I don't know. I just don't have a good feeling about him. The others I'm fine with.

Bark
12-15-2022, 10:38 AM
I think the admin wanted new blood. He's a good offensive coach though. He's probably at the top of my list for OC besides Riley.

Yes North Texas had a top 20 offense this year.

Todd4State
12-15-2022, 10:39 AM
I hope not. We are setting Arnett up for failure with that.

I agree. But the whole priority so far has been what? Trying to keep things the same as much as possible. Doesn't make sense to me to turn over the whole staff if that's the focus. And Arnett has no reputation as a coach to go off of.

Really Clark?
12-15-2022, 10:43 AM
I'm just not sold on Littrell. I've watched some film of them and I don't know. I just don't have a good feeling about him. The others I'm fine with.

I would look at his time as OC. Where Indiana and North Carolina were before and where they were in just 2 years at each stop. Honestly it's the most impressive of the bunch. Indiana went from 101st prior to 51st to 16th in scoring. His last year at NC they were 9th nationally.

CoachT14
12-15-2022, 10:46 AM
Yes North Texas had a top 20 offense this year.

Combine him with the head coaching experience with Arnett and I think we have a really good shot at something special next year. Littrell's offenses have done some big things everywhere he's been.

Bdawg
12-15-2022, 10:55 AM
Chris Hatcher

Saw Cole Cubelic mention him and say go get him.

Chuck3124
12-15-2022, 10:56 AM
I understand Harrell running the air raid offense and having ties to Leach, but what I don?t understand is why him? His offense this year at WVU wasn?t that good

gtowndawg
12-15-2022, 10:57 AM
If anyone is looking for something to do, here's Coach Littrell discussing the air raid. It's youtube but it's from a podcast (or radio show?). Around the 8:15 mark is important. He says he runs air raid but adapts to personal depending on the QB and likes to mix in more run game. He says at Arizona with Nick Foles they threw 50 times a game but at Indiana had to mix in a lot more QB run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZsKGyo_2x8

CoachT14
12-15-2022, 11:00 AM
I understand Harrell running the air raid offense and having ties to Leach, but what I don?t understand is why him? His offense this year at WVU wasn?t that good

They have averaged 6 PPG game better than the previous year. Everywhere he's been the offense improved when he got there and dipped after. Except for at USC. Lincoln Riley has a little to do with that.

Coach34
12-15-2022, 11:24 AM

Arnette will still really be the DC. Not worried about that at all. A Defensive HC usually wants an offense that runs the ball a little more than ours has under Leach. I would look for that aspect also

BuckyIsAB****
12-15-2022, 11:25 AM

Nothing to be worried about bc nothing is going to change on defense

Chuck3124
12-15-2022, 11:26 AM
They have averaged 6 PPG game better than the previous year. Everywhere he's been the offense improved when he got there and dipped after. Except for at USC. Lincoln Riley has a little to do with that.

See in my opinion if he?s gonna just dip out after improving the offense he can?t be trusted to stay longer than 2 years. And for that reason I?m out. But I?m also one who believes you make Garrett Riley say no several times before moving to option #2

Cowbell
12-15-2022, 11:53 AM
Arnette will still really be the DC. Not worried about that at all. A Defensive HC usually wants an offense that runs the ball a little more than ours has under Leach. I would look for that aspect also

No way he could run less

Cowbell
12-15-2022, 11:54 AM
See in my opinion if he?s gonna just dip out after improving the offense he can?t be trusted to stay longer than 2 years. And for that reason I?m out. But I?m also one who believes you make Garrett Riley say no several times before moving to option #2

If your coordinators aren't leaving after a few years, you either have a rare dude or you are living in mediocrity.

Bdawg
12-15-2022, 11:58 AM
If anyone is looking for something to do, here's Coach Littrell discussing the air raid. It's youtube but it's from a podcast (or radio show?). Around the 8:15 mark is important. He says he runs air raid but adapts to personal depending on the QB and likes to mix in more run game. He says at Arizona with Nick Foles they threw 50 times a game but at Indiana had to mix in a lot more QB run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZsKGyo_2x8

Sounds a lot like Leach

Chuck3124
12-15-2022, 01:05 PM
If your coordinators aren't leaving after a few years, you either have a rare dude or you are living in mediocrity.

I just feel like we can get a better OC than Harrell is all I?m saying and I could be wrong and would admit it if I am

CoachT14
12-15-2022, 01:32 PM

There is a such thing as circumstances. Right now he probably doesn’t have full autonomy. And he’s on a skeleton crew that’s liable to be fired next year under no fault of his own.

If he comes here it’s prevent being fired on a staff that he wasn’t originally with and to have full autonomy. It’s kind of dumb to not pursue him for that.

If he leaves after 2 years I imagine it’s a step up. Not lateral. It means something for coaches to be hired away for better jobs. As a coach it should be your goal to get those guys promoted even though you selfishly want to keep them.

CoachT14
12-15-2022, 01:33 PM
I just feel like we can get a better OC than Harrell is all I?m saying and I could be wrong and would admit it if I am

Who? He’s easily a top 10ish OC right now.

KB21
12-15-2022, 04:29 PM

Usually, but it seems that defensive minded head coaches who have had an air raid offensive coordinator tends to keep the air raid system. Bob Stoops hired Mike Leach at Oklahoma. He kept the air raid offense except for a brief stint where he went in another direction. He then went back to the air raid when he hired Lincoln Riley.

Ruffin McNeal was Mike's DC at Texas Tech. When he got the East Carolina job, he brought in Lincoln to be his offensive coordinator. Mike Stoops was on staff at Oklahoma with Leach. He took the Arizona job and hired Dykes and Littrell to run the offense away from Leach.

Jake Dickert is a defensive head coach who hired Eric Morris to run the Air Raid as Washington State.

WhiskeyPirate
12-15-2022, 04:33 PM
Nah , the air raid sucks and Leach sucked. Weve got a lot of real smart classy guys posting.

Really Clark?
12-15-2022, 04:49 PM
Nah , the air raid sucks and Leach sucked. Weve got a lot of real smart classy guys posting.

Now is not the time for your asshat character. Nobody is being classless and haven't all week, until you show back up.

CoachT14
12-15-2022, 04:58 PM

Why even post this?

Pancho
12-15-2022, 05:40 PM

dam, there you go again. bet u fun as shit at a christmas party

EdwardDrayton
12-15-2022, 07:05 PM
The real question is who should be our QB if we do not accept eight or fewer wins again in 2023.

ScooterDog
12-15-2022, 09:22 PM
My question: Who is going to be the QB coach. It was Leach. Will it be the OC? I don't think this issue has been discussed, if so I missed it. What do y'all think?

mo7888
12-15-2022, 09:38 PM

Give us some names of who you think is better and could possibly be attainable...

Tater
12-15-2022, 10:12 PM
Graham is going to Purdue and not State. He was never in serious consideration for our OC job (from either side)

Really Clark?
12-15-2022, 10:21 PM
Graham is going to Purdue and not State. He was never in serious consideration for our OC job (from either side)

Yeah it was just announced a little while ago but it was in the works.

Also, Drew Brees is going to be an interim assistant for the bowl game. That's a pretty cool idea.

TheLostDawg
12-15-2022, 10:35 PM
The real question is who should be our QB if we do not accept eight or fewer wins again in 2023.

Yes it has. Leach was HC/OC/qb coach. Hence whoever they are saying is going to be OC is going to be the qb coach unless we promote from within for OC .
That's the problem with Seth littrell, he has never coached qb so pretty much rules him out unless we lose a coordinator on offense

TheLostDawg
12-15-2022, 10:37 PM
That's why Chris hatcher seems to have some weight. Just not sure how much

Really Clark?
12-15-2022, 10:37 PM
Yes it has. Leach was HC/OC/qb coach. Hence whoever they are saying is going to be OC is going to be the qb coach unless we promote from within for OC .
That's the problem with Seth littrell, he has never coached qb so pretty much rules him out unless we lose a coordinator on offense

If we hire Littrell, we will be replacing another offensive position. That opens up a QB coaching job.

Todd4State
12-15-2022, 10:38 PM
If we hire Littrell, we will be replacing another offensive position. That opens up a QB coaching job.

Hollinghead can coach QB's.

TheLostDawg
12-15-2022, 10:39 PM
Yeah that's why I said the part on the bottom haha

TheLostDawg
12-15-2022, 10:42 PM
Hollinghead can coach QB's.

Forgot about him. That changes things

TheLostDawg
12-15-2022, 10:44 PM
https://hailstate.com/staff-directory/drew-hollingshead/1606