PDA

View Full Version : Arnett Named next MSU Coach - 4 Year Deal to be signed.

GoDawgz
12-14-2022, 04:45 PM
According to the twitters.
Steve twitting "The Arnett era begins in Starkville"

Lord McBuckethead
12-14-2022, 04:45 PM
Stabilization complete. Now go get some dudes fellas.

Leroy Jenkins
12-14-2022, 04:47 PM
Well LFG then, Zach. I can't wait to see what he can do.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1603141492909948929?s=20&t=BVLMhbsxdvJ9_BOPMfCHeQ

Pancho
12-14-2022, 04:48 PM
Let's do this!!

gtowndawg
12-14-2022, 04:48 PM
Wow, wasted no time. It's a gamble but I'll support him.

Catfish
12-14-2022, 04:49 PM
Hail State!!!!

SaintDawg
12-14-2022, 04:50 PM
Then let's 17'in go then! Let's get it!!

trojandawg
12-14-2022, 04:53 PM
Big gamble but I love his defense. Better get a good OC. I probably would have a least waited till after the bowl game. Least experienced coach in the SEC now. Might pay off, but I feel like this was a rushed emotional decision. I like Arnett though, hope it works out

Pancho
12-14-2022, 04:54 PM
This immediately holds the team intact and now the OC is the most important issue regardless of who the AD is.

Msujd164
12-14-2022, 04:56 PM
Let?s go! Young, hungry coach who the players love. Hence the last two days- Portal commitments from LSU and Miami.

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 04:57 PM
MSU better hire an experienced OC otherwise we're going into next year with an inexperienced head coach, OC and DC.

gtowndawg
12-14-2022, 04:59 PM
MSU better hire an experienced OC otherwise we're going into next year with an inexperienced head coach, OC and DC.

If he calls his own defense at least the DC part would be experienced.

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 05:00 PM
If he calls his own defense at least the DC part would be experienced.

Completely different dynamic. Even Saban has a DC.

basedog
12-14-2022, 05:01 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Arnett still calling defenses and let whoever is OC do his thing, I can see a duel job og passing OC and Running OC. Very common now days.

yjnkdawg
12-14-2022, 05:02 PM
Now our players are happy. :) Good realistic thinking Dr. Keenum. Congrat Zach

Really Clark?
12-14-2022, 05:02 PM

He learned under Rocky who called his own defenses as HC. Then Rocky turned over game day calling to Zach but installed the game plan and was heavily involved. I look for Zack to do something similar

Commercecomet24
12-14-2022, 05:03 PM
I have mixed feelings but I love Zack and he's a high energy high effort guy so I know we're gonna get our moneys worth. With us not having to pay him a huge salary we can use the excess to hire great coordinators and staff to surround him. He at least gives us continuity. Let's get behind Zack, the players and staff and support the heck out of them!

gtowndawg
12-14-2022, 05:03 PM

Interesting that DC's that move up need a DC to fill in, but OC's that move up still call the game as the HC (Ex: Leach and Mullen).

NCDawg
12-14-2022, 05:04 PM

It would be nice to get Monken away from Georgia, but I doubt if we could do it.

yjnkdawg
12-14-2022, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Arnett still calling defenses and let whoever is OC do his thing, I can see a duel job og passing OC and Running OC. Very common now days.

Makes sense to me and let the ST Coach coach special teams. Hopefully the next hire is Seth Littrell . :)

TUSK
12-14-2022, 05:08 PM
I've both an experienced OC and DC y'all can have...

msstate7
12-14-2022, 05:08 PM
Congrats arnett.

Cowbell
12-14-2022, 05:09 PM
This only means one thing / the pirate had already had this in place. He is no more of a gamble than any other coach we could hire at this point and he keeps the roster together. Let's roll!!

Kingbarkus
12-14-2022, 05:11 PM
I’m having New Orleans Saints- Dennis Allen PTSD. I hope he runs the same offense. Arnett should be able to keep our defense intact.

Desoto1967
12-14-2022, 05:12 PM
Isn't Arnett on record that he and his family like Starkville? That should be important

yjnkdawg
12-14-2022, 05:12 PM
Big gamble but I love his defense. Better get a good OC. I probably would have a least waited till after the bowl game. Least experienced coach in the SEC now. Might pay off, but I feel like this was a rushed emotional decision. I like Arnett though, hope it works out

You can't wait till after the bowl game under these circumstances. Our current players wanted to know and needed to know as soon as it was practical and some of our commits had second thoughts not knowing who the coach would be.

dawgday166
12-14-2022, 05:13 PM
I've both an experienced OC and DC y'all can have...

I like them where they're at currently.

maroonmania
12-14-2022, 05:13 PM
Given the circumstances it's a good move. If we don't stabilize things we could really see this recruiting class and transfer class fall to pieces which we can't afford to have happen. Wondering if we will put SS Jr in full charge of the offense and try to hold that side of the staff in tact?

TrapGame
12-14-2022, 05:15 PM
Bring in an air raid guy off the tree and we are set.

parabrave
12-14-2022, 05:17 PM
Needed to be done. Hire a guy who will run the updated version of the Air raid and hire a QB coach who will work with the QBs,

Commercecomet24
12-14-2022, 05:18 PM
Isn't Arnett on record that he and his family like Starkville? That should be important

Loves it! Just bought bunch of land. He's one of us!

Maverick91
12-14-2022, 05:18 PM
This is sick! I dig his attitude, we will see if he can run an organization. I like the recruiting of the past two days. Let’s keep it up. Start strong CZA let’s get this bowl win.

yjnkdawg
12-14-2022, 05:19 PM
This only means one thing / the pirate had already had this in place. He is no more of a gamble than any other coach we could hire at this point and he keeps the roster together. Let's roll!!

Yeah any coach is a gamble, because you don't know how they will work out in your particular situation until they actually are your coach.

yjnkdawg
12-14-2022, 05:20 PM
Now hopefully Seth Littrell for OC.

Goldendawg
12-14-2022, 05:24 PM
I have mixed feelings but I love Zack and he's a high energy high effort guy so I know we're gonna get our moneys worth. With us not having to pay him a huge salary we can use the excess to hire great coordinators and staff to surround him. He at least gives us continuity. Let's get behind Zack, the players and staff and support the heck out of them!

Yes. Hail State!

yjnkdawg
Given the circumstances it's a good move. If we don't stabilize things we could really see this recruiting class and transfer class fall to pieces which we can't afford to have happen. Wondering if we will put SS Jr in full charge of the offense and try to hold that side of the staff in tact?

I would definitely hope not. He hasn't ever even called plays. If for some unknown reason we had to hire from within on the OC ( which I don't see we will), I had rather have Drew Hollingshead as OC.

sandjunky
Love his fire and passion and how he coaches his defense

It just sucks knowing MS state will be firing him in 3 years

This is MS State succumbing to its pecking order in the SEC

WinningIsRelentless
12-14-2022, 05:26 PM
We already have an experienced oc on staff.

Cowbell
12-14-2022, 05:26 PM

Why would you just assume this - he has more control of his guys than any other coordinator in America. He can handle the responsibility - name a coach that would be less of a gamble and would definitely come here.

Commercecomet24
12-14-2022, 05:28 PM
Why would you just assume this - he has more control of his guys than any other coordinator in America. He can handle the responsibility - name a coach that would be less of a gamble and would definitely come here.

Right on!

msstate7
12-14-2022, 05:31 PM
Someone mentioned arnett bringing rocky long here for the DC. I like this idea. Long has been a HC before, and he taught arnett.

BuckyIsAB****
12-14-2022, 05:32 PM
Interesting that DC's that move up need a DC to fill in, but OC's that move up still call the game as the HC (Ex: Leach and Mullen).

They dont. Arnett and the defensive coaches will keep rolling on as usual.

Commercecomet24
12-14-2022, 05:34 PM

Always respect your opinions. Give us your take on the Zack hire.

MrCoachKlein
12-14-2022, 05:34 PM

Aren't you a ray of sunshine

parabrave
12-14-2022, 05:36 PM
I’m having New Orleans Saints- Dennis Allen PTSD. I hope he runs the same offense. Arnett should be able to keep our defense intact.

Most of his problem is he has no QB and Sean Payton isn't there anymore. There are no receivers and the only weapon they have is Kamara. The Saints offensive personnel package is the worst since Bobby Douglas replace Billy Kilmer. Sean saw the future and got out when he could.

Homedawg
12-14-2022, 05:36 PM
We already have an experienced oc on staff.

who?

Thick
12-14-2022, 05:37 PM
Good decision, based on the Arnette family loves Starkville, his defense saved our ass several times over the past 3 years, he knows the SEC, we need to keep the players and recruits happy right now. No complaints here.

The new AD will have an easy transition, and should really focus on NIL, improving game day experiences, and getting ass in seats for our basketball programs! Tip of the hat to Dr. Keenum and company.

DownwardDawg
12-14-2022, 05:37 PM

Just like when we hired Mullen.....

basedog
12-14-2022, 05:38 PM

Yes to this, nothing will change on defense.

Turfdawg67
12-14-2022, 05:39 PM

Feel EXACTLY the same.

bobtail bob
12-14-2022, 05:40 PM
He already knows everyone in the building and the recruiting landscape in the SEC so he will be able to hit the ground running. He’s actually less of a gamble than anyone else we could have gotten this late. It was the smart move and also the right move.

TrapGame
12-14-2022, 05:42 PM
He already knows everyone in the building and the recruiting landscape in the SEC so he will be able to hit the ground running. He’s actually less of a gamble than anyone else we could have gotten this late. It was the smart move and also the right move.

Yep, 100% spot on. I don't understand why some people don't get this is a no brainer. It is the best option at this time.

yjnkdawg

You don't have a clue on how he will do........... We need more supporters with a positive attitude like yours.*****

BuckyIsAB****
Good decision, based on the Arnette family loves Starkville, his defense saved our ass several times over the past 3 years, he knows the SEC, we need to keep the players and recruits happy right now. No complaints here.

The new AD will have an easy transition, and should really focus on NIL, improving game day experiences, and getting ass in seats for our basketball programs! Tip of the hat to Dr. Keenum and company.

Always respect your opinions. Give us your take on the Zack hire.

I feel the same about you man. This was gonna happen for him sooner or later. I like him a lot. In my opinion he improved a lot this year bc he started coaching safeties and realized the bind he was putting them in the first 2 years. Its hard to see a lot of small things when you look at everything. On paper what he was asking them to do would work, on the field is another.

He is a great dude. Kids on offense and defense love him. And he has a good relationship with Will. I dont think there was a wrong way to handle this bc it is absolutely tragic and never happened before. People need to keep that in mind.

msstate7
Most of his problem is he has no QB and Sean Payton isn't there anymore. There are no receivers and the only weapon they have is Kamara. The Saints offensive personnel package is the worst since Bobby Douglas replace Billy Kilmer. Sean saw the future and got out when he could.

Chris olave is on pace to be the 9th best rookie wr in yards in nfl history. If he maintains this pace, he will pass Michael Thomas in week 17. Thomas had brees; olave has had Winston and Dalton.

Olave missed a game with a concussion, so it will be 16 games - apples to apples

Cowbell
12-14-2022, 05:45 PM
I feel the same about you man. This was gonna happen for him sooner or later. I like him a lot. In my opinion he improved a lot this year bc he started coaching safeties and realized the bind he was putting them in the first 2 years. Its hard to see a lot of small things when you look at everything. On paper what he was asking them to do would work, on the field is another.

He is a great dude. Kids on offense and defense love him. And he has a good relationship with Will. I dont think there was a wrong way to handle this bc it is absolutely tragic and never happened before. People need to keep that in mind.

Let us know when you hear something on OC

dawgday166
12-14-2022, 05:46 PM
Chris olave is on pace to be the 9th best rookie wr in yards. If he maintains this pace, he will pass Michael Thomas in week 17. Thomas had brees; olave has had Winston and Dalton.

Olave missed a game with a concussion, so it will be 16 games - apples to apples

Dude ... just cause you're drunk don't be posting in the wrong thread ****

EdwardDrayton
12-14-2022, 05:46 PM

OR, Arnett was being pursued for other head coaching positions or bigger DC jobs. So making him head coach may have been to keep him and the class here. A bit of a gamble but I'm good with giving him the chance to show out.

Bought my seats and parking pass for the bowl today. Will be there to honor The Pirate and welcome our new coach to the helm of the ship!!

Looking forward to seeing all you folks there!!

Commercecomet24
12-14-2022, 05:47 PM

Great take and I agree. I know Leach was grooming him to become a HC somewhere it just came a little earlier than expected. I love that he's a high energy guy. Zack, the staff and the players all need our support right now and they deserve it!

msstate7
12-14-2022, 05:47 PM
Dude ... just cause you're drunk don't be posting in the wrong thread ****

If someone brings up mullen, jimbo, braves, or saints, I'm posting

BuckyIsAB****
12-14-2022, 05:48 PM

Let us know when you hear something on OC

Its gonna be Spurrier Jr for the bowl. After that it will depend on who would actually come. Spurrier deserves it. Leach would give it to him and for the record I dont agree with everything Leach did but his coaching tree speaks for itself. He knew people and who to trust

DownwardDawg
12-14-2022, 05:49 PM

Haha!! Awesome.

dawgday166
12-14-2022, 05:49 PM

We need to stay off mullen then LOL.

Vandownbytheriver
12-14-2022, 05:50 PM

Or an Ole Miss QB or coach****

msstate7
12-14-2022, 05:51 PM
Or an Ole Miss QB or coach****

If someone posts, I'm posting. There

HancockCountyDog
12-14-2022, 05:51 PM
This was the safe/smart move.

He needs to hire an OC that he likes and will run an offense that he wants to see.

I?m happy.

msstate7
12-14-2022, 05:52 PM
This was the safe/smart move.

He needs to hire an OC that he likes and will run an offense that he wants to see.

I?m happy.

Fingers crossed that the offense is modernized some.

MrCoachKlein
12-14-2022, 05:52 PM

Olave alone makes this WR corp twice as good as last year. Plus Shaheed who they refuse to use enough and Landry who's finally healthy. SP was just burnt out last year. Already a report out that Saints would be at the top of his list if he comes back in 23....Juwan Johnson is also stepping into that TE role nicely and you have a great weapon in Taysom. Pete Carmichael lacks vision and DA is an awful coach though. Combine that with injuries and some bad luck and you get a 4 win team.

Offshore Dawg
12-14-2022, 05:53 PM

With post like this, shouldn't you change your screen name to ( sand-in-the-junk )

Vandownbytheriver
12-14-2022, 05:54 PM
If someone posts, I'm posting. There

It's all love man. I used to think you were super negative, but I know you just want the best for the program. Last week opened my eyes to people who actually wanted us to fail. You will at least admit when things went the opposite way. Some people will not no matter what. You've become one of my favorite people on here to read.

sandjunky
12-14-2022, 05:55 PM
Aren't you a ray of sunshine
I really am

I just don?t use emotion in decision making

Commercecomet24
12-14-2022, 05:57 PM
It's all love man. I used to think you were super negative, but I know you just want the best for the program. Last week opened my eyes to people who actually wanted us to fail. You will at least admit when things went the opposite way. Some people will not no matter what. You've become one of my favorite people on here to read.

Yeah 7 is just a straight shooter(accept in his man love for jimbo,lol). He knows his stuff stat wise. He's a great poster.

msstate7
12-14-2022, 05:57 PM
Olave alone makes this WR corp twice as good as last year. Plus Shaheed who they refuse to use enough and Landry who's finally healthy. SP was just burnt out last year. Already a report out that Saints would be at the top of his list if he comes back in 23....Juwan Johnson is also stepping into that TE role nicely and you have a great weapon in Taysom. Pete Carmichael lacks vision and DA is an awful coach though. Combine that with injuries and some bad luck and you get a 4 win team.

Stupid bengal and buc collapses are the difference in first and last place.

I don't think the saints are in as dire a situation as most. Either Sean is the coach (desired) or he's coaching else where and we get a nice pick(s). Surely to God the injuries let up next season

msstate7
12-14-2022, 05:59 PM

Well thank you. Not really sure how to act when someone likes me here haha

sandjunky
12-14-2022, 05:59 PM
Just like when we hired Mullen.....

Mullen was an emotional hire? what made that so? Damn that?s news to me

DownwardDawg
12-14-2022, 06:00 PM
I really am

I just don?t use emotion in decision making

Keenum doesn't either.

msstate7
12-14-2022, 06:00 PM
Yeah 7 is just a straight shooter(accept in his man love for jimbo,lol). He knows his stuff stat wise. He's a great poster.

Man, appreciate it.

I'm gonna have to post a hot take to get to arguing again haha

BuckyIsAB****
12-14-2022, 06:01 PM
Keenum is going to do the right thing. He will do the right thing at the expense of a win. That and hate ole miss. You can count on that from him

sandjunky
12-14-2022, 06:02 PM
Keenum doesn't either.

Interesting take

Really Clark?
12-14-2022, 06:02 PM
Man, appreciate it.

All of these difficult days and we haven't even discussed the Murphy trade

DownwardDawg
12-14-2022, 06:03 PM
Mullen was an emotional hire? what made that so? Damn that?s news to me

Dude? Are you drinking? Who said anything about an emotional hire? Wasn't in the post I replied to. You said we succumbed to our pecking order. His resume is very similar to Mullen's when we hired him.

msstate7
12-14-2022, 06:03 PM
I'll bump that thread tonight. I've run this thread off the rails. I like the trade though

dawgday166
12-14-2022, 06:04 PM

I agree with this. He's a good dude.

DownwardDawg
12-14-2022, 06:04 PM
Interesting take

Most people think Leach was grooming Arnette for this day. Obviously not today, but I think he was getting a HC job here or somewhere else soon. I don't think this was an emotional decision.

RocketDawg
12-14-2022, 06:06 PM
According to the twitters.
Steve twitting "The Arnett era begins in Starkville"

I think it's a great move. He's certainly got plenty of enthusiasm, so why go to another school and bring in one of their coordinators? Just use our own. Congrats to him. Might need an OC though.

EdwardDrayton
12-14-2022, 06:09 PM
100% behind Arnett but will say, if I'm the AD, thinking I'm not handling it this way. Not so much making Arnett the HC but the timing. Maybe make him interim and then after the bowl game, name him HC. Find it puzzling we jump to a HC announcement so quickly.

Commercecomet24
12-14-2022, 06:09 PM

Yep, he is!

shoeless joe
12-14-2022, 06:11 PM

Or the fact that another organization linchpin will walk

Commercecomet24
12-14-2022, 06:12 PM
Man, appreciate it.

You're welcome. Always appreciate your posts even the ones I don't agree with, lol!

Dawgface
12-14-2022, 06:12 PM
100% behind Arnett but will say, if I'm the AD, thinking I'm not handling it this way. Not so much making Arnett the HC but the timing. Maybe make him interim and then after the bowl game, name him HC. Find it puzzling we jump to a HC announcement so quickly.

The staff, current players and recruits could possibly start looking elsewhere not knowing who the permanent HC would be.

Lord McBuckethead
12-14-2022, 06:42 PM

Only different if you want to make it different.
We already have basically a GM in our department that handles the day to day head coaching stuff.

Arnett handles the defense.
Let the OC handle the offense. Just like before.

Only difference is instead of Leach calling the plays the New OC calls the plays. If we promote someone on the offensive staff, then continuity is maintained. Just jobs switch around.

EdwardDrayton
12-14-2022, 06:45 PM
The staff, current players and recruits could possibly start looking elsewhere not knowing who the permanent HC would be.

Yes, thought of that. And without being close enough to the situation, hard to know how much that played into it. But yes could have been a major element. Has to be tough to play that against the look of replacing The Pirate so quickly.

sandjunky
12-14-2022, 06:47 PM
Don?t drink on weekdays. I didn?t bring Mullen into the discussion

Mullen resurrected a dead program

Moorehead was a disaster and quickly disposed of

Leach was a hr hire - we got a ?dude? in a league full of dudes

We did succumb by making an emotional hire - how is it not - Leach hasn?t been with us for what 48 hrs - Arnett may prove to be a dude - I do love the guys fire

Catfish
12-14-2022, 06:57 PM

We did succumb by making an emotional hire - how is it not - Leach hasn?t been with us for what 48 hrs - Arnett may prove to be a dude - I do love the guys fire

He's got a lot of fire. Just watch him on the sideline. Reminds me of Matt Campbell.

RocketDawg
12-14-2022, 07:02 PM
OR, Arnett was being pursued for other head coaching positions or bigger DC jobs. So making him head coach may have been to keep him and the class here. A bit of a gamble but I'm good with giving him the chance to show out.

Bought my seats and parking pass for the bowl today. Will be there to honor The Pirate and welcome our new coach to the helm of the ship!!

Looking forward to seeing all you folks there!!

Some thought Leach was going to retire after the bowl game anyway, so it could be he had recommended that Arnett be his successor.

Cooterpoot
12-14-2022, 07:24 PM
I love Arnett! I have no idea if he's a great HC, but having talked to him more than a couple times, Kids are going to love him! His personality and fire is impressive.

99jc
12-14-2022, 07:25 PM
i don't have a problem with this call. 1 also agree right now we have to bring in an OC who runs a version of the air raid.

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 07:26 PM
Only different if you want to make it different.
We already have basically a GM in our department that handles the day to day head coaching stuff.

Arnett handles the defense.
Let the OC handle the offense. Just like before.

Only difference is instead of Leach calling the plays the New OC calls the plays. If we promote someone on the offensive staff, then continuity is maintained. Just jobs switch around.

It's a major difference. Arnett has never made a decision to go for it on fourth down or not. He has the final say in everything. It can be very distracting to do that and run a defense. Most coaches honestly can't do both.

BeardoMSU
12-14-2022, 07:27 PM

Absolutely. The best.

DownwardDawg
12-14-2022, 07:29 PM

Hail State!

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 07:35 PM

No one is going to want to hear this:

We just made a typical MSU move. We did the nice thing. We chose to protect an unhired AD which gives me a ton of confidence in that search. We made a move to protect recruiting with a class that is maybe 30th right now?

It may work out but we're going to have at best an inexperienced head coach who will have growing pains. Which is NOT what we need. Remember Dan vs LSU 2009? LOL.

And we only have one open spot and that almost HAS TO go to an experienced OC. We can't bring in a DC because we don't have room. So it's going to be someone on staff in that role who is also inexperienced. And if we bring in another outside DC then we only have four offensive coaches on the whole staff- and one would have to be calling plays. Which again would be someone who has never called plays before.

I hope we go like 9-3 or better this year because I have a feeling that there is a good chance we're going to be looking again in about three years. Hopefully under much better circumstances.

Commercecomet24
12-14-2022, 07:36 PM
I love Arnett! I have no idea if he's a great HC, but having talked to him more than a couple times, Kids are going to love him! His personality and fire is impressive.

Yep.

BrunswickDawg
12-14-2022, 07:39 PM
Damn it! I go into a meeting my phone goes nuts. Put it on silent without looking and when I get out i have 87 texts and 5 voicemails. I like it. LFG!

basedog
12-14-2022, 07:55 PM

We just made a typical MSU move. We did the nice thing. We chose to protect an unhired AD which gives me a ton of confidence in that search. We made a move to protect recruiting with a class that is maybe 30th right now?

It may work out but we're going to have at best an inexperienced head coach who will have growing pains. Which is NOT what we need. Remember Dan vs LSU 2009? LOL.

And we only have one open spot and that almost HAS TO go to an experienced OC. We can't bring in a DC because we don't have room. So it's going to be someone on staff in that role who is also inexperienced. And if we bring in another outside DC then we only have four offensive coaches on the whole staff- and one would have to be calling plays. Which again would be someone who has never called plays before.

I hope we go like 9-3 or better this year because I have a feeling that there is a good chance we're going to be looking again in about three years. Hopefully under much better circumstances.

I wouldn?t say it?s ?typical MSU hire?. This is way different than any hire in Msu history. I?m not surprised in your thoughts, but time will tell.
Any Coach is an iffy hire now days. I bet Arnett?s buyout is less than any HC we would have hired.

DJ55
12-14-2022, 07:58 PM
only time will tell if this is good hire or not. But we must keep the AIR RAID!!

hogman
12-14-2022, 08:02 PM
i am new here sorry for the loss of your coach i wish u guys luck esp aga ole miss

hogman
12-14-2022, 08:11 PM
u had to make this move u guys have a good off in place

DownwardDawg
12-14-2022, 08:14 PM

Why don't we have room? Leach was HC and OC. Most teams have HC, OC, and DC. Arnette is HC. We need a OC and a DC.

MrBigStuff
12-14-2022, 08:15 PM

My sentiment exactly. Learning the ins and outs of being the HEAD COACH in the SEC West is hard enough for the "elites with coaching pedigree". The bowl game takes on a completely different level of importance. It's unfair and sucks because to the timing and circumstances, but the new regime needs to show a "taste" of what's planned for the future. Those extra bowl practices are worth everything now. Let the tbd OC (if promoted from within) have the freedom to preview his plan for the O even if it has some different components from pure Air Raid. Use this game to set the tone. Show good organization on the sidelines. Winning the game would be special, but give me a lot of reasons to be optimistic going into next season.

If Arnett decides to hire an OC from outside the current coaching staff, I would think it unlikely this outside OC could come on soon enough to coach the bowl practices and bowl game (assuming the OC's team is not playing in a bowl game or playoff).

Really Clark?
12-14-2022, 08:17 PM
Why don't we have room? Leach was HC and OC. Most teams have HC, OC, and DC. Arnette is HC. We need a OC and a DC.

We only have 1 spot right now and that has to go to offense. OC/QB coach is the natural opening we need to fill. We can't hire anyone else for an on the field position as it stands right now.

StarkVegasSteve
12-14-2022, 08:20 PM
Mullenz, Moorehead, Leech, Arnette......good to see some of our fans are continuing the tradition of spelling our coaches name incorrectly.

For future reference it is ZACH ARNETT. There's not a K and there's no E

Edit: Whoever made it where you can't spell Dan's name with an S at the end is an absolute genius. Kudos to you

basedog
12-14-2022, 08:20 PM
We only have 1 spot right now and that has to go to offense. OC/QB coach is the natural opening we need to fill. We can't hire anyone else for an on the field position as it stands right now.

I want be surprised if we lose one or two assistants.

Last time we had assistant promoted to HC was Bob Tyler.

Really Clark?
12-14-2022, 08:22 PM

I wouldn't be either but right now we can only replace 1 coach. After the bowl game we will see what shakes out.

StarkVegasSteve
12-14-2022, 08:26 PM

Bob Tyler was ahead of the game. He had our NIL rolling in the 70s

basedog
12-14-2022, 08:39 PM

Yes he did. LOL.

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 08:42 PM
I wouldn?t say it?s ?typical MSU hire?. This is way different than any hire in Msu history. I?m not surprised in your thoughts, but time will tell.
Any Coach is an iffy hire now days. I bet Arnett?s buyout is less than any HC we would have hired.

It just sucks for us. We have a team lined up to have a good season and now we have to go in it with an inexperienced staff again. And it took us awhile to get here.

Of course, Moorhead's biggest downfall was his lack of discipline. That won't be an issue under Arnett.

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't be either but right now we can only replace 1 coach. After the bowl game we will see what shakes out.

And if a coach leaves it's probably not likely to be on the defensive side- which means we aren't going to bring in a new DC.

RocketDawg
12-14-2022, 08:43 PM

Not as well as Freeze though.

chef dixon
12-14-2022, 08:45 PM
Mullenz, Moorehead, Leech, Arnette......good to see some of our fans are continuing the tradition of spelling our coaches name incorrectly.

For future reference it is ZACH ARNETT. There's not a K and there's no E

Edit: Whoever made it where you can't spell Dan's name with an S at the end is an absolute genius. Kudos to you

Would love to see "Arnette" censored

William Tecumsah Sherman
12-14-2022, 08:46 PM
If Cooterpoot is optimistic, I?m in!

MabenMaroon
12-14-2022, 08:52 PM

I hope Coach Arnett would put in a hearty effort to bring in Graham Harrell as OC. From what I can tell reading / listening to all of the reminiscing and stories about CML, Harrell was mentioned several times as being one of CML's most astute students not only in football but in life in general. He eventually will be a successful HC.

MrCoachKlein
12-14-2022, 08:53 PM
With post like this, shouldn't you change your screen name to ( sand-in-the-junk )

Sand in Virginia... If you smell what I'm stepping in

MrCoachKlein
12-14-2022, 09:00 PM

I'm pragmatic to a fault.

We weren't getting a coach worth his salt that would

1 keep our team in tact. Either transfers out due to scheme or loss of familiarity.

2 is established as a good recruiter in the area

3 kept the foundation that has been set.

ZA is going to give 100% every single second. Players love him. He's a good recruiter. He just outschemed the poster child of coach fanboy love in Kiffin.

Most of the best Air Raid guys that we'd look at are better suited for OC and that is still an option.

Downside is

he lacks experience

Offensive coaches are more sought after because it's hard to change offensive scheme vs defensive

Considering pros and cons, I'm glad we kept ZA before he was poached by LSU or bama. Yes it might fail spectacularly, but the Man is a leader, tough, players love him and gives you more than you have in the tank.

ETA: My best attribute was a LB carrying my team to the byrboun bowl and I've been drinking vodka. Don't blame me if it goes sideways :)

DEDawg
12-14-2022, 09:28 PM

I was with you up until the coaching numbers. There?s no chance we keep 2 WR coaches if Arnett decides he wants a DC. There are many many teams who have a HC, OC, and DC, this is not a unique problem we?re facing. Someone will get moved off field if it needs to happen

parabrave
12-14-2022, 10:06 PM

Yeah free clothes.

MrCoachKlein
12-14-2022, 11:42 PM
Don?t drink on weekdays.

Now I know there is sand in Virginia ;)

MrCoachKlein
12-14-2022, 11:46 PM
It's a major difference. Arnett has never made a decision to go for it on fourth down or not. He has the final say in everything. It can be very distracting to do that and run a defense. Most coaches honestly can't do both.

This is my only concern. He's such a great DC. Someone mentioned Rocky Long as a DC. That sounds like an awesome idea to me. They are on the same page, allows ZA to handle decisions and not question D calls and serves as a mentor if needed.

Really Clark?
12-14-2022, 11:52 PM
Rocky is 72 and working his retirement at his Alma mater at New Mexico. Would be great but I don't see him leaving his home at this age.

trojandawg
12-15-2022, 12:34 AM
I agree Todd. I like arnett. Great guy and great DC. He may be a great head coach. But it's a huge gamble in a mean ass league. Bracky and keenum rolled their dice fast.

Cowbell
12-15-2022, 01:36 AM
I agree Todd. I like arnett. Great guy and great DC. He may be a great head coach. But it's a huge gamble in a mean ass league. Bracky and keenum rolled their dice fast.
Huge gamble with anyone in this league. I would argue it's a bigger gamble to spend good money on a HC that has never coached in this conference. They might be rolling the dice Leach handed them.

Todd4State
12-15-2022, 01:57 AM
Huge gamble with anyone in this league. I would argue it's a bigger gamble to spend good money on a HC that has never coached in this conference.

Depends on if it's a P5 conference like Leach or if it's a G5 conference.

msstate7
12-15-2022, 07:07 AM
Rocky is 72 and working his retirement at his Alma mater at New Mexico. Would be great but I don't see him leaving his home at this age.

Didn't realize he was that old

BB30
12-15-2022, 07:57 AM

Most good dice rollers roll the dice relatively fast, after all it's luck of the roll. No different here, there wasn't a proven commodity out there to go get.

If we've got to go with a coordinator, why not the one that is most familiar with our recruiting footprint, current team, staff, academic and athletic personnel etc.?

I do think that at a school like state we need an offensive minded HC as we seem to roll good defenses out under every head coach we hire. So that concerns me a bit having staff turnover on the offensive side of the ball every few years if the offense is clicking will be a much bigger problem than having defensive staff turnover like we had under mullen. But that being said, arnett seems like a winner and he's definitely going to give the job everything he's got. At the end of the day that's all you can ask for as the smallest budgeted team in the conference save maybe vandy. Saves us some money as well to use somewhere else In the program.

If you had to go pay an experienced p5 hc with a decent resume to come here you're looking at a minimum of 7-8 mil now and probably more for the same crap shoot in the SEC that we are getting now at a decent price. How many good head coaches from P5 or non that have been hired into this league, chewed up and spit out quick?

Op4isabitch
12-15-2022, 08:47 AM
A question for those saying Zach has no HC experience. How many years of HC experience did Dan have?

Jack Lambert
12-15-2022, 08:52 AM
Give him a shot. Croom had no OC or DC experience. Mullen was a OC and Moorehead was a OC. If things unraveled in the next two season, we could move on. I really don't think it's a big gamble. Our schedule is not as tough with 8 home games.

Johnson85
12-15-2022, 09:46 AM
A question for those saying Zach has no HC experience. How many years of HC experience did Dan have?

It's not the lack of HC experience even thought that's what people keep pointing to. He just hasn't had as many years doing as many things.

I'm perfectly happy with Arnett as the coach. I thought he would be competitive in a national search. I am more concerned about the process. Either Keenum panicked and short circuited the process, or he has enough insight into things fans don't to know that at the end of the day, none of the likely potential candidates were going to be able to show anything in an interview that would trump what we have seen in person with Arnett.

If it was the latter, going through the process would be all harm for not much gain. Still would have been value to the process to confirm what you think you know, but would have been at the expense of continued uncertainty while people are trying to poach our players and recruits.

If it was the former, it may still work out, but it was a stupid move. I'd like to think it was the latter but really don't know. Don't have enough of an opinion of Keenum to think it was likely he panicked or likely he made a reasoned decision based on good info.

Desoto1967
12-15-2022, 09:51 AM
With national signing day and possible portal transfers State couldn't wait for a national search. JoMo was fired in January. Was that a dead period?

TrapGame
12-15-2022, 09:55 AM
It's not the lack of HC experience even thought that's what people keep pointing to. He just hasn't had as many years doing as many things.

I'm perfectly happy with Arnett as the coach. I thought he would be competitive in a national search. I am more concerned about the process. Either Keenum panicked and short circuited the process, or he has enough insight into things fans don't to know that at the end of the day, none of the likely potential candidates were going to be able to show anything in an interview that would trump what we have seen in person with Arnett.

If it was the latter, going through the process would be all harm for not much gain. Still would have been value to the process to confirm what you think you know, but would have been at the expense of continued uncertainty while people are trying to poach our players and recruits.

If it was the former, it may still work out, but it was a stupid move. I'd like to think it was the latter but really don't know. Don't have enough of an opinion of Keenum to think it was likely he panicked or likely he made a reasoned decision based on good info.

Blowing up the program at this juncture was not an option. Losing most of our recruits and a sizable portion of the roster to the portal would have been a severe blow to the next coach. Arnett knows this program. He is respected among the staff. He knows the recruiting landscape very well. And most importantly Leach really, really liked him a lot. He turned to Zach often for coaching decisions.

I would not be surprised in a couple of years everybody's all on board and demanding we pay the man an outrageous salary because he's proven to be a damn good head coach and bigger programs are knocking on his door.

Really Clark?
12-15-2022, 10:05 AM
We already had this plan in place. Zach was going to be a HC sooner rather than later and very very likely taken over here. Rocky and Leach both groomed him and both very thought he would be good and a good fit. I mentioned the other day it is the single biggest factor determining your next coach. It has to fit and Zach fits and is invested in the Mississippi State community. We all know coaching hires are crap shoots but honestly sitting P5 coordinators have a better track record of success than G5 HC's. I'm 100% on board and actually believe he will do an outstanding job running the program. He is an impressive guy.

Lord McBuckethead
12-15-2022, 10:06 AM
I don't have a crystal ball to see the future, but Arnett's intensity leads me to believe he will be a Saban like in how he instills a culture in the program. We will succeed or fail based on his attention to details throughout his tenure.

Arnett..... bust the ever loving ass for the next two seasons. How you attack these next two years will define you as a coach for your entire career.
Instill the correct foundation NOW. This is your team now. Not Mike Leach's. You have been painted into a corner, now is the time to just take off your shoes and walk across the floor. Damn to everything else. Build your team. Leach left you compacted subgrade, now pour some footings and let's get some walls going up.

Johnson85
12-15-2022, 10:12 AM
Blowing up the program at this juncture was not an option. Losing most of our recruits and a sizable portion of the roster to the portal would have been a severe blow to the next coach. Arnett knows this program. He is respected among the staff. He knows the recruiting landscape very well. And most importantly Leach really, really liked him a lot. He turned to Zach often for coaching decisions.

I would not be surprised in a couple of years everybody's all on board and demanding we pay the man an outrageous salary because he's proven to be a damn good head coach and bigger programs are knocking on his door.

I would not either but that doesn't change whether the decision making process was good or not. There will rarely be a time a coaching change doesn't negatively impact a recruiting class. It's practically guaranteed now with the early signing period. That doesn't mean you always promote from within.

And again, I am good with Arnett and thought he would be a top candidate if not the guy at the end of the day. I am just questioning whether the decision was well reasoned or not.

WinningIsRelentless
12-15-2022, 10:18 AM
I would not either but that doesn't change whether the decision making process was good or not. There will rarely be a time a coaching change doesn't negatively impact a recruiting class. It's practically guaranteed now with the early signing period. That doesn't mean you always promote from within.

And again, I am good with Arnett and thought he would be a top candidate if not the guy at the end of the day. I am just questioning whether the decision was well reasoned or not.

Everyone talks about the Leach coaching tree. I would take Leach word when he and Keenum had a conversation after Auburn if it goes bad who should we target.

TrapGame
12-15-2022, 10:33 AM

If you are good with Arnett why are you questioning the decision?

Again, some of y'all can't grasp the concept that this was the best option on the table. That was the decision to keep this current program together. It was the right decision.

Desoto1967
12-15-2022, 11:13 AM
Per Twitter---- 3 million a year

DownwardDawg
12-15-2022, 11:16 AM

Perfect!!!

Commercecomet24
12-15-2022, 11:23 AM
We already had this plan in place. Zach was going to be a HC sooner rather than later and very very likely taken over here. Rocky and Leach both groomed him and both very thought he would be good and a good fit. I mentioned the other day it is the single biggest factor determining your next coach. It has to fit and Zach fits and is invested in the Mississippi State community. We all know coaching hires are crap shoots but honestly sitting P5 coordinators have a better track record of success than G5 HC's. I'm 100% on board and actually believe he will do an outstanding job running the program. He is an impressive guy.

I See it the same way. Leach knew what he had in Zach and knew the guys potential as a HC. I would say Leachs track record for recognizing head coaching potential is way better than any of ours and he was grooming Zach to become a HC it just came a little earlier than expected due to this tragic occurrence.

Commercecomet24
12-15-2022, 11:24 AM

Now spend the money we're saving on a great oc!

TheLostDawg
12-15-2022, 11:35 AM
I See it the same way. Leach knew what he had in Zach and knew the guys potential as a HC. I would say Leachs track record for recognizing head coaching potential is way better than any of ours and he was grooming Zach to become a HC it just came a little earlier than expected due to this tragic occurrence.

So this is my concern for SS as OC. Why was he not being groomed, put as OC.
Was it because he didn't want to be HC and was planning on being OC for Arnett and time table for moved up?

Someone mentioned Arnett has never had to make a decision to go for it on fourth down. Well honestly I'd rather him make the decision. He's going to see just like everyone else how the offense is doing momentum wise, you know he will run it by the OC or sign off of it for them but most importantly he's going to know how our defense is holding up (worn out, getting beat mentally vs starters ready to go) in case we don't convert it.

Arnett has energy which I know as all love. If you have heard him speak you know it's like that for him 24/7 .
This guy is going to give everything he has.

We just have to get this OC/qb coach hire right. We can't rush that

Cowbell
12-15-2022, 11:52 AM
Now spend the money we're saving on a great oc!

I would dare see today we have the best ROI in America if that's what we are spending

State82
12-15-2022, 12:04 PM

Nice work by Dr. Keenum and his group to keep everything reasonable and very manageable. Especially in the future should the need arise. Fair to the coach and the university.

Desoto1967
12-15-2022, 12:06 PM
Let's hope after next season he could expect to get Lane money

DownwardDawg
12-15-2022, 12:10 PM
Thank goodness Cohen was gone during this situation. He would have screwed this up somehow.

TorpedoIPA
12-15-2022, 12:20 PM
Everyone talks about the Leach coaching tree. I would take Leach word when he and Keenum had a conversation after Auburn if it goes bad who should we target.

Never heard about that particular conversation. What are you referring to as going bad ? Thanks.

sandjunky
12-15-2022, 12:24 PM
Give him a shot. Croom had no OC or DC .

That is false - he was OC for lions (like 4-5seasons) then let go and picked by Packers to be RB coach for a few prior to State calling

No telling how good that Lions offense could have been with an innovative coach - Barry Sanders essentially wasted in his prime

Reason2succeed
12-15-2022, 12:49 PM
Two coaching legends gave Zach Arnett their blessing. I trust that. Rocky Long pointed to Arnett when he turned down the job. Leach went and poached Arnett from Syracuse even though he had already agreed to take their spot. That?s says tons.
Long and Leach have seen tons of coaches but both of them believe(d) in Arnett. He comes here and proves them right for the last three years. He coaches in the best conference in CFB and more than holds his own.

On top of that he knows the players, recruits, potential transfers, the geography, the culture, etc. He is the best guy for this circumstance. I think this is a home run hire and will be shocked if we don?t continue to do well. He may even upgrade in places where we felt Leach wasn?t as effective and intense enough.

He should know which offensive minds give him the most trouble. He should be able to break down tape quickly on a play caller and make a good decision on who should lead the offense. I?m confident in Coach Arnett?s ability to do it.

These are sad but exciting times to be a Bulldog!

BorneDawg
12-15-2022, 02:57 PM
Two coaching legends gave Zach Arnett their blessing. I trust that. Rocky Long pointed to Arnett when he turned down the job. Leach went and poached Arnett from Syracuse even though he had already agreed to take their spot. That?s says tons.
Long and Leach have seen tons of coaches but both of them believe(d) in Arnett. He comes here and proves them right for the last three years. He coaches in the best conference in CFB and more than holds his own.

On top of that he knows the players, recruits, potential transfers, the geography, the culture, etc. He is the best guy for this circumstance. I think this is a home run hire and will be shocked if we don?t continue to do well. He may even upgrade in places where we felt Leach wasn?t as effective and intense enough.

He should know which offensive minds give him the most trouble. He should be able to break down tape quickly on a play caller and make a good decision on who should lead the offense. I?m confident in Coach Arnett?s ability to do it.

These are sad but exciting times to be a Bulldog!

THIS! my thoughts as well

Lord McBuckethead
12-15-2022, 05:00 PM
Agreed. Sad times, but the decision on Arnett was well founded.

CoachT14
12-15-2022, 05:41 PM
If you are good with Arnett why are you questioning the decision?

Again, some of y'all can't grasp the concept that this was the best option on the table. That was the decision to keep this current program together. It was the right decision.

You can be good with Arnett and still have reservations. It is possible to have opinions that vary depending on the situation.

I’m fine with Arnett with an experience OC. I’m not so fine with Arnett with an internal OC hire. Pretty simple.

CoachT14
12-15-2022, 05:43 PM
Thank goodness Cohen was gone during this situation. He would have screwed this up somehow.

Cohen being the smartest guy in the room probably hires Tony Hughes or Spurrier Jr.

Pancho
12-15-2022, 05:47 PM
It was sure a blessing to have Dr Keenum make the selection.

TrapGame
12-15-2022, 05:49 PM
You can be good with Arnett and still have reservations. It is possible to have opinions that vary depending on the situation.

I’m fine with Arnett with an experience OC. I’m not so fine with Arnett with an internal OC hire. Pretty simple.

I agree about the internal hire for OC. We need an outside guy from the tree with experience calling plays.

gtowndawg
12-15-2022, 05:54 PM
I agree about the internal hire for OC. We need an outside guy from the tree with experience calling plays.

Totally agree

CoachT14
12-15-2022, 05:56 PM

I’m very worried about having 2 of our main areas (HC & OC) being inexperienced in their jobs. That could turn into a disaster really fast.

TrapGame
12-15-2022, 06:59 PM
I’m very worried about having 2 of our main areas (HC & OC) being inexperienced in their jobs. That could turn into a disaster really fast.

That's why I'm pulling for a guy like Seth Littrell. An experienced play caller from the AR tree with several years of head coaching experience. It's just a no brainer at this point.

bulldawg28
12-15-2022, 09:41 PM

They'll be fine.

Pancho
12-16-2022, 06:24 AM
I'm with bulldawg28 on this. Get the correct guys who have what it takes and roll.