PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Discussions

Really Clark?
12-14-2022, 09:04 AM
Guys I know everyone is concerned about what we will do and I usually enjoy picking through coaches for us. Honestly, it's just hard to look at anyone right now. I know we will move forward in time but all indications are Arnett is our coach through the Bowl Game. Maybe, maybe we find the right person right around the kickoff but I don't see anything happening any sooner.

As far as coaches go, I see so many names that's are just unrealistic or people are trying to make someone fit because of scheme or keeping what we have right now. The first priority is always this, the best coach that fits what the program needs at that moment. We moved away from anything we have done in the past because Leach fit what we needed at the time. Mullen fit what we needed at the time. Sherrill fit what we needed at the time. Does scheme matter? To a degree but it's down the list. A good coach can take what he has, add what we can do / adapt, and still put a competitive team on the field. Would a big shift cause growing pains? Absolutely, but it's imperative that overall X and O's can't be your top priority. It just can't. Not in normal searches but especially not today. If the best fit matches us scheme wise, that's great!! But it has to boil down to the best coach that fits us and what we need. If it's Arnett, I will support him 1000%, if it's someone from the outside I will completely rally around them. For the program and the players.

This is all we can do in this moment in time. Nobody has had to go through this in decades and it will be hard. But we are State! We are strong! We know intimately the difficulty of being invested to this program in major college football! But we are family, we rally, we fight!

Commercecomet24
12-14-2022, 09:56 AM
Great post and I agree 100%!

Rep Given!

Maroonthirteen
12-14-2022, 10:21 AM
Agreed.

Yeah, even in ideal circumstances some of these names thrown out are a long long shot. Also Ross Delinger has reported we have suspended the AD search. So we won't have an AD until New Years, at best.

I think at this point we have to roll with the current assistants and make the best of the situation. Hope that the assistants have built enough relationships with current recruits to hold the current commits in place and get them signed. Also to continue to work on the transfer portal and recruits for February.

As for people saying this would be a blow to the program. Making a knee jerk reaction and hiring whomever would kill the program. But to the point.... if Arnette and staff can keep players and recruits we will be ok. Also I don't think it will make a difference for the 2023/24 class to have an interm. Teams fire coaches mid season now and December recruits only a have a few weeks to meet the new staff and figure out their commitment.

We need to keep the continuity we have now. Take our time and not have a knee jerk reaction hire. Sure if we have a great candidate contact us, jump on hiring him. However most likely we will have to have an extensive search and we need to do that search when the best available candidates are ready to move.