PDA

View Full Version : Egg Bowl

Fader21
12-13-2022, 09:43 PM
After losing Mike Leach, where does this year?s Egg Bowl rank on your list.

Easy moved up to number 2 for me. Why?

1999 will always be my favorite. The first Egg Bowl I experienced live and with my dad.

2022 now because I have followed Leach for so long. Like Lane Kiffin said it is crazy to think about this will always be his last game and walked out a winner.

Joebob
12-13-2022, 09:49 PM
I don't know where it ranks, but I'm so glad he won his last Egg Bowl and last game. He certainly deserved to go out a winner.

BuckyIsAB****
12-13-2022, 09:50 PM
My favorite was 2013. But this is number 1

DEDawg
12-13-2022, 09:51 PM

1999 will always be my favorite. The first Egg Bowl I experienced live and with my dad.

2022 now because I have followed Leach for so long. Like Lane Kiffin said it is crazy to think about this will always be his last game and walked out a winner.

What's really insane is if right after that game you said one of these 2 coaches just coached their last game with their team you'd 100% say it was Lane. Life can suck sometimes.

Commercecomet24
12-13-2022, 10:50 PM
I'm so glad he got that win! Beating om in your last game and going out a winner! He deserved to go out a winner!

ScoobaDawg
12-13-2022, 10:58 PM
Oof. Hard to say.
In the end what it meant. Leach going out a winner...
But a lot of things that went wrong. I'm not discussing right now.
Does it move up because of today... I don't think so. That's an emotional response.

But thank goodness we won. We had to have it

Dawg_Lover
12-13-2022, 11:21 PM
Anytime we win, the euphoria always ranks it high, but my favorite was the one in 1999. We were watching it on TV, screaming and jumping up and down during that last minute.
A relative, who was a Rebel fan, was at the game. He decided to leave early because OM was ahead 14 points, and there was only a few minutes left. Ha, a short time later he called, while on the way home, to brag about beating us. He hung up a very UNhappy man. 😂

The following was copied & pasted from the link below.

1999 ? The Pick and the Kick: This game is best known for its dramatic ending. Down 20?6, Mississippi State rallied late in the 4th quarter to tie the game. With 20 seconds left, instead of kneeling the ball to go to overtime, Mississippi decided to run a play, deep in their own territory. Rebel quarterback Romero Miller dropped back and lobbed a deep pass which was deflected by the hands and then the foot of Mississippi State cornerback Robert Bean before being intercepted by Eugene Clinton and returned deep into Rebel territory. On the next play, with 8 seconds left, Bulldog kicker Scott Westerfield kicked a 44-yard game-winning field goal.

https://americanfootballdatabase.fandom.com/wiki/Egg_Bowl

BuckyIsAB****
12-13-2022, 11:54 PM
Oof. Hard to say.
Does it move up because of today... I don't think so. That's an emotional response.

A lot of things went wrong in 99 and 13 too. And 07. And 09. And 19

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 12:16 AM
Anytime we win, the euphoria always ranks it high, but my favorite was the one in 1999. We were watching it on TV, screaming and jumping up and down during that last minute.
A relative, who was a Rebel fan, was at the game. He decided to leave early because OM was ahead 14 points, and there was only a few minutes left. Ha, a short time later he called, while on the way home, to brag about beating us. He hung up a very UNhappy man. ��

The following was copied & pasted from the link below.

1999 ? The Pick and the Kick: This game is best known for its dramatic ending. Down 20?6, Mississippi State rallied late in the 4th quarter to tie the game. With 20 seconds left, instead of kneeling the ball to go to overtime, Mississippi decided to run a play, deep in their own territory. Rebel quarterback Romero Miller dropped back and lobbed a deep pass which was deflected by the hands and then the foot of Mississippi State cornerback Robert Bean before being intercepted by Eugene Clinton and returned deep into Rebel territory. On the next play, with 8 seconds left, Bulldog kicker Scott Westerfield kicked a 44-yard game-winning field goal.

https://americanfootballdatabase.fandom.com/wiki/Egg_Bowl

So the guy thought that Ole Miss had won and called to brag after that game? LOL. That's hilarious. I bet he didn't believe y'all for a little while too.

That was the one MSU team that you wanted to make sure the clock hit 0:00 on.

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 12:21 AM

For me:

1999 is number one

1998 is number two because we won the West

2013 is number three because that was when Dak became Dak.

2022 is probably four or five for me depending on how you view the Piss and Miss game. I'm leaning towards putting it at number four. Reason being yes it was Leach's last game ever. But on top of that it was a really good game. We had to stop a two point conversion in the last two minutes of the game to hold on to the win. That said the 2 point conversion if successful would have merely tied the game so that take a very little bit away from the urgency of it. But still a BIG play nonetheless.

Dawg_Lover
12-14-2022, 12:42 AM
So the guy thought that Ole Miss had won and called to brag after that game? LOL. That's hilarious. I bet he didn't believe y'all for a little while too.

That was the one MSU team that you wanted to make sure the clock hit 0:00 on.

Lol, he really did not at first, but I persisted, and heckling him too, of course. He finally realized I was not kidding when I literally called out the last plays of the game that turned everything around. Then, he got upset. and the conversation ended rather quickly after that. I made sure I saw him the next day in case he may be interested in further discussion. He was not, hahahaha. The only thing that could ever make me forget that night is Alzheimer?s, and maybe not even then.
It was definitely a night to remember. I wish I could watch the last of that game again. I?ve never forgotten, as cameras panned around, some of the OM people standing like statues, with stunned expressions frozen on their faces.
It was priceless.

Dawg_Lover
12-14-2022, 12:48 AM
I'm so glad he got that win! Beating om in your last game and going out a winner! He deserved to go out a winner!

I am pounding on the LIKE Button with my trusty hammer 🔨!

memsu06
12-14-2022, 12:59 AM
I think my favorite game is his first game at MSU. Putting up 623 yards passing on the reigning national champions.

It's going to be the sports stat that only MSU and LSU fans will know.

Who was the QB that holds the most passing yards in an SEC game (or national record?)?. No one will guess KJ Costello.

Then his quote after the game "Well it's better than average I'll tell you that."

Dawg_Lover
12-14-2022, 01:05 AM
I think my favorite game is his first game at MSU. Putting up 623 yards passing on the reigning national champions.

Who was the QB that holds the most passing yards in an SEC game (or national record?)?. No one will guess KJ Costello.

Then his quote after the game "Well it's better than average I'll tell you that."

LIKE Button 🔨

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 02:00 AM
Lol, he really did not at first, but I persisted, and heckling him too, of course. He finally realized I was not kidding when I literally called out the last plays of the game that turned everything around. Then, he got upset. and the conversation ended rather quickly after that. I made sure I saw him the next day in case he may be interested in further discussion. He was not, hahahaha. The only thing that could ever make me forget that night is Alzheimer?s, and maybe not even then.
It was definitely a night to remember. I wish I could watch the last of that game again. I?ve never forgotten, as cameras panned around, some of the OM people standing like statues, with stunned expressions frozen on their faces.
It was priceless.

HAAAAAAAHHHAAAAA!!!!! That cracks me up especially knowing how arrogant Ole Miss fans are when it comes to that game when they win. It's beautiful when they get their comeuppance. They never learn either.

The full game is on youtube on LeftFieldlounger channel. Just type in 1999 Egg Bowl and it should pop up.

To me the funny thing about that game was we got down like 20-6 and I told the person next to me we had them right where we wanted them. I was half serious seeing as how that season played out. It was still shocking how we won though. It was like that team tried to up itself every weekend with a new comeback. I still say that 1999 was better than 2014. We won 10 games, the Egg Bowl, and the Peach Bowl.

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 02:02 AM

I was there for that game too. One of my friends texted me like the Thursday before the game and asked me if I wanted to go and I was like sure why not? It was unreal how we were just throwing all over them that day.

Dawg_Lover
12-14-2022, 02:25 AM
HAAAAAAAHHHAAAAA!!!!! That cracks me up especially knowing how arrogant Ole Miss fans are when it comes to that game when they win. It's beautiful when they get their comeuppance. They never learn either.

The full game is on youtube on LeftFieldlounger channel. Just type in 1999 Egg Bowl and it should pop up.

To me the funny thing about that game was we got down like 20-6 and I told the person next to me we had them right where we wanted them. I was half serious seeing as how that season played out. It was still shocking how we won though. It was like that team tried to up itself every weekend with a new comeback. I still say that 1999 was better than 2014. We won 10 games, the Egg Bowl, and the Peach Bowl.

I will definitely look that up & rewatch it, maybe Christmas Day since I cannot drive to my sons this year due to some eye issues. That will definitely give me something to look forward to. 😃 Thanks so much for the info.

Maroonthirteen
12-14-2022, 06:13 AM
This years Egg will definitely rank up there with me for sentimental reasons. Because i was there. it was an unexpected win and Coach Leachs last game. Knowing what we know now.... the big man upstairs may have just played a hand as only he knows he day and hour. Coach Leach could only finish up one way..... as a winner.

bulldawg28
12-14-2022, 07:01 AM
Oof. Hard to say.

Agreed.

R2Dawg
12-14-2022, 12:20 PM
For me:

1999 is number one

1998 is number two because we won the West

2013 is number three because that was when Dak became Dak.

2022 is probably four or five for me depending on how you view the Piss and Miss game. I'm leaning towards putting it at number four. Reason being yes it was Leach's last game ever. But on top of that it was a really good game. We had to stop a two point conversion in the last two minutes of the game to hold on to the win. That said the 2 point conversion if successful would have merely tied the game so that take a very little bit away from the urgency of it. But still a BIG play nonetheless.

Agree 98,99,13 are at the top for me. 07, Piss&Miss are HM.

Maybe 09 as HM for how good it felt that day knowing we had turned our program around and showed it at home.

Glad for Leach getting 22 and going out that way.

Coach34
12-14-2022, 12:31 PM
1999 (I was there and it was glorious)
1980 (my 1st EB)
1998 (clinched West)
2013 (what a game then ISeenIt came by and picked me up...we went downtown to our friend's bar for another drink and victory pizza)
2009 (shocked their entire fanbase)
2010 (straight beatdown on their field)
1996 (dominance in the pouring rain)

2022 didnt crack that list for me but it really makes me happy for Leach going out a winner as he should.