PDA

View Full Version : My Coach Leach story

BuckyIsAB****
12-13-2022, 07:42 PM
Yall can read this if you want or ignore it. I am writing this for yall but I am also doing it for me. I will do my best to keep it short.

Mark Keenum came on a rabbit hunting trip with us a day or two after Willie Gay punched Shrader in the face. That was when I knew State was going to move on from Moorhead. Keenum was visibly disgusted the entire time. Maybe bc we didnt even see a rabbit and maybe bc of that whole deal. I would have ever dreamed in that moment that we would hire The Pirate a few weeks later. Obviously I knew who he was and tbh I thought he was a good coach but I said and believed to my soul that the air raid would never win a title bc it never did. I was wrong. Anyway we hired Leach during one of our offseason workouts and our head coach at the time came out and started swinging his hands at me like a sword and I was shocked. He had already offered Will before hand. Spurrier Jr came to campus many times. The first time I was around Coach Leach was at a clinic and I didnt speak a word to
Him bc I was in shock. I didnt want to waste his time. He spent most of the time talking to another one of our coaches about sailing.

Fast forward to the summer and I was lucky enough to get to go to a dinner with Leach. And when he talked to you it made you feel like you were the most important person in the world. I was around him once more after that at the next clinic and he spoke about Will and Gardner while he spit dip grains over me the entire conversation. and I will never ever be able to thank him enough for his time.

I loved Coach Leach. I could go on and on. But its not about me. He was a better man than he was Coach and yall know how good he was at that. He changed my life without even knowing it bc he changed others lives around me. I can ever ever thank him or his family enough.

Coach34
12-13-2022, 08:02 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Today has been a day of people reflecting on Leach. People usually appreciate other people that are "genuine". He was certainly that. In a world of football where many coaches are very arrogant and unapproachable- Leach was the opposite of that.

ScoobaDawg
12-13-2022, 08:02 PM
Great post bucky. It's so great to read all these stories..

EdwardDrayton
12-13-2022, 08:06 PM
Well done Bucky.

Really Clark?
12-13-2022, 08:07 PM
Wonderful story Bucky, thank you for sharing

BuckyIsAB****
12-13-2022, 08:08 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Today has been a day of people reflecting on Leach. People usually appreciate other people that are "genuine". He was certainly that. In a world of football where many coaches are very arrogant and unapproachable- Leach was the opposite of that.

This is not a shot at anyone, and I think Mullen is a hell of a football coach. Hes proven that. But I sat in a room with Dan Mullen on more than one occasion and he never ever would speak a word. Of course I didnt either but like you said, some people feel unapproachable.

BuckyIsAB****
12-13-2022, 08:09 PM
Thank yall for taking the time reading it and posting. I just needed to vent.

Saltydog
12-13-2022, 08:15 PM
Awesome post Bucky........I hope these players are resilient because it's going to be a long 2 or 3 weeks........

bulldawg28
12-13-2022, 08:17 PM
Great post Bucky.

Cowbell
12-13-2022, 08:17 PM
Great story - thanks for sharing!

BuckyIsAB****
12-13-2022, 08:27 PM
Awesome post Bucky........I hope these players are resilient because it's going to be a long 2 or 3 weeks........

Theres going to be some hard times but the biggest part of Leach was mental toughness. They will find a way

Commercecomet24
12-13-2022, 08:29 PM
Thanks for sharing Bucky! Awesome story! He was one of a kind and real, genuine dude!

Commercecomet24
12-13-2022, 08:30 PM
Leach was so much more than just a football coach.

DownwardDawg
12-13-2022, 08:53 PM
Thank you for sharing that. Made me appreciate the man even more.

RisperDawg
12-13-2022, 09:22 PM
...And when he talked to you it made you feel like you were the most important person in the world...

Thank you for sharing. After reading your story and listening to Bart and Charlie's podcast this afternoon, it makes me sad I'll never get to meet him. Taking a genuine interest in other people is such special quality in itself. CML was by all accounts an interesting and knowledgeable person. When you consider that despite this, he was content to genuinely listen to other people, it makes it all the more impressive.

basedog
12-13-2022, 09:46 PM
Very nice post Bucky.

BuckyIsAB****
12-13-2022, 09:52 PM
Thanks to all of yall again. It is not about me. Its about Coach Leach and his family and the team

Gutter Cobreh
12-13-2022, 10:00 PM
Thanks for taking the time to share Bucky!

Vandownbytheriver
12-13-2022, 10:09 PM
Seeing Will's tweet absolutely gutted me. The impact he had on Will and so many others is completely on display today. That's the one that made me break down. Who knew a cowboy and a pirate would make people so happy and so unbelievably sad.

Catfish
12-13-2022, 10:10 PM
Very good story Bucky. It's been a somber day for everyone. Still can't believe it.

Coach34
12-13-2022, 10:31 PM
That’s another angle. This is a total gut punch for Will. Really hate it for him

A coach’s relationship with some of their players is basically family. I have some guys that are like children

KOdawg1
12-13-2022, 10:38 PM
Thanks for sharing Bucky.

I had my criticisms of Leach, but that all seems so minor and insignificant now. I'm grateful that we got to be a part of one of the most influential coaches in college football history.

ScoobaDawg
12-13-2022, 10:46 PM
Seeing Will's tweet absolutely gutted me. The impact he had on Will and so many others is completely on display today. That's the one that made me break down. Who knew a cowboy and a pirate would make people so happy and so unbelievably sad.

https://twitter.com/Wrogers__2/status/1602668398801977346?t=t9eWLjO3Y-jwGkWCVzVH4w&s=19

ScoobaDawg
12-13-2022, 10:47 PM
https://twitter.com/Wrogers__2/status/1602828608694878209?t=KoIO_IRUK3FmfstfsmBcow&s=19

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-13-2022, 10:48 PM
I live in Starkville and was fortunate enough to hang around Coach Leach a handful of times. The first time I ever spoke to him at any length was a night that he came over to my neighbors house just to hang out. We had a few libations, and before I knew, it we had talked about the Kennedy Assassination for over an hour. He then asked me about my parents and upbringing, and I mentioned to him that my dad had been a forestry professor at MSU for 30 years. He went on to tell me that his dad was also a forester, and insisted we get them together to talk trees. He then proceeded to give me his number and his dad's number. I was a little hesitant to give his dad's number to mine because, like OP, I really didn't want to bother him.

Two days later he texted me out of the blue to see if my dad was going to call his. The phone call eventually took place, and we were going to set up a future lunch so the our dad's could get together and talk forestry. He took the time to follow up with a stranger because that's the kind of man he was. For the rest of my life I will be grateful to have met him for a small piece of his. He was an extremely gracious and kind individual that was as interested in the people that he met, as he was himself. That's just as much of his legacy as his football achievements.

Godspeed Coach. You will be missed.

Vandownbytheriver
12-13-2022, 10:50 PM
https://twitter.com/Wrogers__2/status/1602828608694878209?t=KoIO_IRUK3FmfstfsmBcow&s=19

This one. Not gonna lie, made me break down and cry. This one hurts a lot more than it should. Even before State I loved Mike Leach and never in a million years believed he'd ever be our coach. This one hurts me the same as Robin Williams. Both guys were like uncles to an entire generation.

Catfish
12-13-2022, 10:51 PM
They shared something special.

ScoobaDawg
12-13-2022, 10:52 PM
I live in Starkville and was fortunate enough to hang around Coach Leach a handful of times. The first time I ever spoke to him at any length was a night that he came over to my neighbors house just to hang out. We had a few libations, and before I knew, it we had talked about the Kennedy Assassination for over an hour. He then asked me about my parents and upbringing, and I mentioned to him that my dad had been a forestry professor at MSU for 30 years. He went on to tell me that his dad was also a forester, and insisted we get them together to talk trees. He then proceeded to give me his number and his dad's number. I was a little hesitant to give his dad's number to mine because, like OP, I really didn't want to bother him.

Two days later he texted me out of the blue to see if my dad was going to call his. The phone call eventually took place, and we were going to set up a future lunch so the our dad's could get together and talk forestry. He took the time to follow up with a stranger because that's the kind of man he was. For the rest of my life I will be grateful to have met him for a small piece of his. He was an extremely gracious and kind individual that was as interested in the people that he met, as he was himself. That's just as much of his legacy as his football achievements.

Amazing story.
Leach truly was Destined to live in Mississippi it seems by the attitude he had. He didn't meet a stranger and truly cared about the common person.

Commercecomet24
12-13-2022, 10:53 PM
That’s another angle. This is a total gut punch for Will. Really hate it for him

A coach’s relationship with some of their players is basically family. I have some guys that are like children

Amen to this! These kids become like your own(at least most of them)!

Really Clark?
12-13-2022, 10:59 PM

Outstanding story!! Thank you for sharing that with us.

BuckyIsAB****
12-13-2022, 11:51 PM

My dad is a forester. Thank you for this

Commercecomet24
12-14-2022, 12:17 AM

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing! My dad was a forester, got his degree from State. Passed away in 2011.

Todd4State
12-14-2022, 12:27 AM
Thanks Bucky!

We are so fortunate that Leach is one of us!

Dawgface
12-14-2022, 08:47 AM
Good read. I still feel like crap this morning. It's going to be hard getting over this one......

Leroy Jenkins
12-14-2022, 09:30 AM
Leach was so much more than just a football coach.

Being a football coach was what he did, not who he was. The guy would really rather talk about anything other than work and I think most people can relate to that. That is very different from most highly successful coaches, or anyone at the top of their profession really.

Commercecomet24
12-14-2022, 09:44 AM
Being a football coach was what he did, not who he was. The guy would really rather talk about anything other than work and I think most people can relate to that. That is very different from most highly successful coaches, or anyone at the top of their profession really.

You nailed it!

Commercecomet24
12-14-2022, 09:45 AM
Thanks Bucky!

We are so fortunate that Leach is one of us!

Yep, he's a Dawg forever!