PDA

View Full Version : Next Head FB coach

Pages : [1] 2 3

NeuteredDawg
12-12-2022, 04:45 PM
Sad overall situation with Coach Leach. When the page turns where do we go for our next head coach?

Arnett proved enough to be able to run the program?

Mullen on line 2?

SailingDawg
12-12-2022, 04:48 PM
Need to let Arnett and Hughes run things for a year. Let's recover from this.

Jack Lambert
12-12-2022, 04:50 PM
I think let's not rush hiring AD or Coach. I would be ok making Arnette Interim through next season. He might be the guy.

Chuck3124
12-12-2022, 04:52 PM
Who would you go with for OC if Spurrier Jr said no and left?

BorneDawg
12-12-2022, 04:52 PM
Who should he go after for OC?

Tough Dawg
12-12-2022, 04:53 PM
I agree. Hard to think about the next steps from here, but you got to. I?m sure Keenum is laying out a plan. Hard thing to manage I?m sure with the coaches, support staff that are here because of Mike and then all the players/recruits.

Leroy Jenkins
12-12-2022, 04:58 PM
The reality is its too soon to move on right now..... and at the same time the rest of the SEC is not going to cut you any slack.
It really is one of those 'rock and a hard place' situations. You can't make any decisions, and you can't not make any decisions.

basedog
12-12-2022, 04:59 PM
Graham Harrell has a pretty impressive resume; seems WV Coach Neil Brown was on the hot seat. I'd go with Arnett as HC, not sure of his contract length (HC or Interm), but I'm not for started all over to what has been built just yet.

It's very sad but we can't just sit around long.

EdwardDrayton
12-12-2022, 05:00 PM
Too soon for this.

msu15
12-12-2022, 05:01 PM
Yea I wouldn't do interim tag at all. I'd wait and start a search until after the bowl game.

StarkVegasSteve
12-12-2022, 05:01 PM
You go with Arnett for next year. No clue what you do at DC or OC. My guess is you either promote Spurrier or Mason Miller to OC or you bring in a guy like Zach Kittley. No clue at DC because that 3-3-5 is such a unique system. I would imagine Zach will try to convince Rocky Long to come out of retirement for a year to coach it

Desoto1967
12-12-2022, 05:04 PM
Too soon for this.

I'm with you.

Leroy Jenkins
12-12-2022, 05:07 PM
Arnett told one of the defensive guys he has no desire to be the HC.

DownwardDawg
12-12-2022, 05:08 PM
As already been pointed out, it's too soon yet we will get trampled by the rest of the league if we don't move forward.
I say interviews start as soon as the new AD gets in place. I'm leaning towards Arnette as the next HC though. Dude has proven he can coach.

Chuck3124
We could give the guy from Syracuse a look at DC if Arnett is named HC. I think his name is Tony White runs a 3-3-5 also and had them in top 15 in defense if I?m not mistaking

Johnson85
Graham Harrell has a pretty impressive resume; seems WV Coach Neil Brown was on the hot seat. I'd go with Arnett as HC, not sure of his contract length (HC or Interm), but I'm not for started all over to what has been built just yet.

It's very sad but we can't just sit around long.

Keenum can't sit around long. We can. And even Keenum can sit around longer than this.

Dawgology
12-12-2022, 05:17 PM
Too soon for this.

Unfortunately it is...but if you think recruiters from other programs haven't already reached out to our current recruits and athletes then you have a very naive view of this sport. I know of one current commit that has alreay been contacted by another program.

To allow the program that Leach built to crumble is NOT the right play here.

Make either Arnett or Spurrier the head coach for a season and let it play out. If Leach pulls through he will be happy to see Spurrier and Arnett as head coach. Either way, it would make him proud and it would continue our momentum.

Fader21
12-12-2022, 05:21 PM
We can all talk about who, what, when. But in all honesty MSU athletics is still in a good spot. I think you have to make a quick decision on AD. Even though I feel like this should be done by now. Then with AD in place you have to evaluate the program as if you don?t have a coach at all. Yes, I love Arnett as our coach. I think he could do a good job, but he also could do a horrible job trying to live in the shadows of taking over a legend Coach under this circumstance. It?s one of the reasons we don?t make decisions like this in a day or two.

KOdawg1
12-12-2022, 05:21 PM
I don't think it's time to discuss it yet but it's naive to not do anything in proper time.

As mentioned before, we can't let the program and culture Leach helped build after Moorhead was fired go to waste.

CoachT14
12-12-2022, 05:24 PM
Yea I wouldn't do interim tag at all. I'd wait and start a search until after the bowl game.

You can’t wait that long. It sucks. I hate it. But there has to be talks on going now.

Jack Lambert
12-12-2022, 05:25 PM
It might be too soon but signing day is coming they have to have something to tell these recruits. I feel as bad as anyone else, but Mississippi State Football has to go on. They have a job to do. It doesn't stop. They better have a plan.

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 05:28 PM
We can't have an interim coach for a year. That would hurt our recruiting too much and cause too much instability for our program.

We need to learn from the Dan and Joe transition and make sure we hire an Air Raid guy or a coach that will be a CEO coach and hire an Air Raid OC while keeping Arnett.

I can't see Dan being a viable option for us at this time. He's not an Air Raid guy, he can't keep his hands off the defense, and he would fire Mason Miller and bring Hevesy back who was awful.

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 05:29 PM
It might be too soon but signing day is coming they have to have something to tell these recruits. I feel as bad as anyone else, but Mississippi State Football has to go on. They have a job to do. It doesn't stop. They better have a plan.

We need an AD. Step one.

Step 2 we need to go on a national search for a coach after the bowl.

CoachT14
12-12-2022, 05:30 PM
We can't have an interim coach for a year. That would hurt our recruiting too much and cause too much instability for our program.

We need to learn from the Dan and Joe transition and make sure we hire an Air Raid guy or a coach that will be a CEO coach and hire an Air Raid OC while keeping Arnett.

I can't see Dan being a viable option for us at this time. He's not an Air Raid guy, he can't keep his hands off the defense, and he would fire Mason Miller and bring Hevesy back who was awful.

Yeah. You can’t keep the interim for a season and expect to keep the program from imploding.

Nutriaitch
12-12-2022, 05:34 PM
make sure we hire an Air Raid guy

this
you're too far in to change it up now. You have to stay the course and finish building a full on Air Raid roster.

or punish yourself by having to flip the roster again to some other style of football.

Extendedcab
12-12-2022, 05:38 PM
How about some modified version of the Air Raid?

AROB44
12-12-2022, 05:49 PM

Is this a fact or rumor?

DownwardDawg
12-12-2022, 05:52 PM

Is this a fact or rumor?
I just can't see that being true.

RiverCityDawg
12-12-2022, 05:59 PM
We need an AD. Step one.

Agree, except the AD needs to start the search the day he's hired.

I wish we could just stop and not worry about this crap for a while because it feels so unimportant at this moment, but unfortunately Keenum and the new AD have to move things forward and do what's best for the program. The calendar between the portal, signing days, players being able to transfer, etc just doesn't allow for any stoppage with uncertainty as to who is going to lead us as the next head coach.

basedog
12-12-2022, 05:59 PM

Me neither.

Liverpooldawg
12-12-2022, 06:03 PM
We need an AD. Step one.

You can't wait that long. In the old days you could but not anymore.

lastmajordog
12-12-2022, 06:34 PM
del

Leroy Jenkins
12-12-2022, 06:35 PM

That's what Arnett said. Now, maybe he's just caught up in the suddenness of it all. But he was asked point blank by a player if he was going to be here next year, or take a HC job if offered, and he said he didn't have a desire to be the HC. I'm not saying who asked him because I don't know if he would want me to name him.

Coursesuper
12-12-2022, 06:36 PM

I wish we could just stop and not worry about this crap for a while because it feels so unimportant at this moment, but unfortunately Keenum and the new AD have to move things forward and do what's best for the program. The calendar between the portal, signing days, players being able to transfer, etc just doesn't allow for any stoppage with uncertainty as to who is going to lead us as the next head coach.

Whoever the finalist are had better be on the phone right now with guys they are interested in.

LC Dawg
12-12-2022, 06:49 PM
If Arnett doesn't want the job just hire the Head Ball Coach as a CEO type coach for a year with Jr as OC and Arnett as DC. Use the next year to figure out if either coordinators are the man for the head coach position or have a search. I'm mostly kidding.

Leroy Jenkins
12-12-2022, 06:57 PM
I hope Zack stays for another 10 years but the reality is he has only been a DC for about 15 minutes. The people interested in a SEC HC job will be more proven candidates than Arnett. Whoever it is I hope they keep Zack here for a long time.

EdwardDrayton
12-12-2022, 07:01 PM
That's what Arnett said. Now, maybe he's just caught up in the suddenness of it all. But he was asked point blank by a player if he was going to be here next year, or take a HC job if offered, and he said he didn't have a desire to be the HC. I'm not saying who asked him because I don't know if he would want me to name him.

He said that because he understands it's inappropriate to discuss it during this time.

DownwardDawg
12-12-2022, 07:04 PM

Was this before yesterday?

Leroy Jenkins
12-12-2022, 07:05 PM
Was this before yesterday?

Today

Leroy Jenkins
12-12-2022, 07:07 PM
He said that because he understands it's inappropriate to discuss it during this time.

Certainly possible. He's uncomfortable with praise and questions about himself and usually tries to divert the spotlight. One of the things I like about him.

GATORDawg1234
12-12-2022, 07:08 PM
Mississippi State Football is more than one person and cannot afford to wait. The search for a new AD and HC starts now and should be relentless. MSU cannot make the same dismal mistake that Arkansas made after Petrino?s downfall and hire a placeholder. Look at how that turned out. No, we must recruit the best available coach on the market. Mississippi State is a top 25 national program and has standards.

If we make a mistake now: our football program will become the basketball team. Such is why I support skipping the bowl game and immediately starting an aggressive hiring process. We will not beat Illinois in these circumstances. Not only was Leach the offensive coordinator, but we are losing key players on both sides of the ball. Playing the bowl game now puts the team in an impossible situation and serves no purpose. We have little to gain but much to lose. Psychology matters in these situations; a blowout in Tampa would set the team back.

As for candidates, Zach Arnett is not qualified to become the head coach. This topic is not even up for rational debate. Arnett is not an SEC head coach at this point in his career. How we feel about him is entirely irrelevant. Mississippi State is not an entry-level position; we need a proven coach with previous head coaching experience, offensive expertise, and Mississippi ties.

The only coaches who fit those above criteria are Dan Mullen and Todd Monken. There are reasons to suspect that neither would take the job. However, Mullen has sent some signals on Twitter over the past month, such as defending Mike Leach from Dillon Johnson stupid comment and giving State favorable attention.

Make Dan Mullen turn us down with $6 million over four years. Rumors are that he wants an NFL job ? but they do not want him. We have a real shot there.

Let's not Napier this thing up!

Jarius
12-12-2022, 07:11 PM
Unfortunately, we are going to have to do a search. You can’t recruit with an interim tag on you and in this conference that is a death sentence. The AD hire will be made soon and a head coach named after the bowl game more than likely.

Irondawg
12-12-2022, 07:14 PM
I can see Arnett hating to do all the non football things a HC does and just being happy being a DC.

This whole things is horrible and it?s happening at a time in the calendar where you have no time to mourn as an administration.

Spurrier has tried to get a HC position - name him the HC with a 3 year contract with basically a very small termination clause. Keeps things in place for the next year while we hire an AD and it might work out fine.

It?s important to me to keep Arnett under any scenario as we need some stability.

Maroonthirteen
12-12-2022, 07:26 PM
Assistant coaches are the primary recruiters. Players spend most of their football time with assistants. Without an AD, you name an interm HC and keep this staff together for continuity.

Hire an AD soon. Then get to work on the next HC. I see us with an interm until the next hiring cycle, 12 months.

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 07:26 PM
How about some modified version of the Air Raid?

That's fine. I'm not expecting an offense exactly like Leach. We just shouldn't go like completely in a different direction.

I agree. But I'm guessing we won't name the coach until after the bowl.

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 07:28 PM
I can see Arnett hating to do all the non football things a HC does and just being happy being a DC.

This whole things is horrible and it?s happening at a time in the calendar where you have no time to mourn as an administration.

Spurrier has tried to get a HC position - name him the HC with a 3 year contract with basically a very small termination clause. Keeps things in place for the next year while we hire an AD and it might work out fine.

It?s important to me to keep Arnett under any scenario as we need some stability.

The thing is we've already named Arnett the interim so that tells me we're not likely to promote Spurrier.

Jarius
12-12-2022, 07:29 PM
Assistant coaches are the primary recruiters. Players spend most of their football time with assistants. Without an AD, you name an interm HC and keep this staff together for continuity.

Hire an AD soon. Then get to work on the next HC. I see us with an interm until the next hiring cycle, 12 months.

The chances of us having an interim head coach for 12 months is zero.

BuckyIsAB****
12-12-2022, 07:31 PM
People can say whatever they want about its ruthless blah blah blah. But my personal opinion is that it just doesnt matter right now. This is so much bigger than that. And I love football. It is my living. But this is bigger. No offense to anyone just needed to say that

Turfdawg67
12-12-2022, 07:40 PM
People can say whatever they want about its ruthless blah blah blah. But my personal opinion is that it just doesnt matter right now. This is so much bigger than that. And I love football. It is my living. But this is bigger. No offense to anyone just needed to say that

Agreed.

Maroonthirteen
12-12-2022, 07:44 PM

Exactly. This isn't a normal situation. I can't imagine how those guys that played and coached with him everyday feel.

CoachT14
12-12-2022, 07:51 PM
Exactly. This isn't a normal situation. I can't imagine how those guys that played and coached with him everyday feel.

Call it ruthless but if we have an interim for the next year you can say goodbye to the program Mike built. You can’t sustain it in modern day football

DownwardDawg
12-12-2022, 07:53 PM
Call it ruthless but if we have an interim for the next year you can say goodbye to the program Mike built. You can’t sustain it in modern day football

Good point. Leach is an absolute warrior. He would be pissed if we kill what he has built.

MetEdDawg
12-12-2022, 08:13 PM
Hire Charles Huff, promote Spurrier Jr to OC.

It's going to take a very specific person to get our university through this. To honor Leach and protect the university and its people while also trying to move us forward.

This is a tough ask for anyone.

yjnkdawg
12-12-2022, 08:19 PM

It could be the reason that Arnett said he didn't want to be HC was because we still officially have a HC, and he didn't think it was appropriate to comment on that at this time. It could also be why would you tell one of your players that when they would tell others and then it would be the players wanting him as HC and he doesn't know which direction Keenum and /or an AD wants to go. Just more controversy added to an already sad situation. He could always change his mind later on. And then again he may not want the position.

viverlibre
12-12-2022, 08:20 PM
Isn't a sitting SEC HC married to a Starkville native whose father is Chief of Police? Beamer ball to Vegas, baby!

ScooterDog
12-12-2022, 08:23 PM
If Leach recovers? I would say interim coach up to the bowl game. After that we will have to wait and see what God has in store for us. Just keep the faith folks.

PikeDawg15
12-12-2022, 08:25 PM
It?s too soon but we all know it?s got to happen.

I would go Prime Time.

You can get him to immediately leave Colorado.

You have a few options

Promote Arnette to HC
Gus Malzahn
Willie Fritz
Clark Lea
Jamie chadwell
Gosh man I don?t know.

BuckyIsAB****
12-12-2022, 08:26 PM
Nobody is saying to have an interim for a year. I am saying now is not the time to even worry about it. There is more to life than SEC football games

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 08:31 PM
What complicates things even further is Leach was also the OC. So we lose both. And the problem is we technically lose two spots but can only replace it both with one person.

I don't see how we're going to do this without losing someone else on the offensive side of the ball.

Inexperienced head coach with an inexperienced play called and possibly the DC moving up is not good.

We really probably just need to go get someone like Clay Helton or Tyson Helton and roll with it.

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 08:33 PM

I would go Prime Time.

You have a few options

Promote Arnette to HC
Gus Malzahn
Willie Fritz
Clark Lea
Jamie chadwell
Gosh man I don?t know.

Prime Time makes more sense than any of those others. Prime will probably clean house though. And I would guess that Tony Hughes may find it awkward working for him since Prime replaced him at Jackson State.

Tripp McNeely
12-12-2022, 08:41 PM
You throw the kitchen sink at Jeff Traylor, and make him turn you down!

Saltydog
12-12-2022, 08:46 PM

I would go Prime Time.

You have a few options

Promote Arnette to HC
Gus Malzahn
Willie Fritz
Clark Lea
Jamie chadwell
Gosh man I don?t know.

I'd go Will Hall but if you want any continuity you've got to get a coach that buys into the Air Raid.

LC Dawg
12-12-2022, 08:49 PM
Nobody is saying to have an interim for a year. I am saying now is not the time to even worry about it. There is more to life than SEC football games

I agree but grief is a weird experience and I think all Bulldogs are grieving right now. Sometimes a different discussion is needed but it's not easy to do.
This thread is just a bunch of people on a message board. What I take from it is the harsh reality of the people who have to really deal with this and make the tough decisions.
As I pray for the Leach family I also pray for Dr Keenum and our other leaders and our coaches and players who are faced with more of this reality than any of us can imagine.

Jarius
12-12-2022, 08:52 PM

Everyone on here is grieving. No one wants Coach Leach to be in this situation. Some people handle grief differently than you do. Some people would like to talk about a game they love to get their minds off of this entire situation. Just because someone grieves differently than you doesn’t make it wrong. Please stop trying to be the message board police.

Saltydog
12-12-2022, 08:53 PM
Isn't a sitting SEC HC married to a Starkville native whose father is Chief of Police? Beamer ball to Vegas, baby!

You're kidding, right? Next time add the sarcasteriks.........

Vandownbytheriver
12-12-2022, 08:57 PM
I agree but grief is a weird experience and I think all Bulldogs are grieving right now. Sometimes a different discussion is needed but it's not easy to do.
This thread is just a bunch of people on a message board. What I take from it is the harsh reality of the people who have to really deal with this and make the tough decisions.
As I pray for the Leach family I also pray for Dr Keenum and our other leaders and our coaches and players who are faced with more of this reality than any of us can imagine.

That's what I think is happening as well. Everyone is just waiting on the news and trying to find a way to distract themselves. When my father passed away the last thing I wanted to do was talk about it. Same with my mother. I did my best to distract myself as much as possible. Some people grieve head on while others grieve by trying to normalize a horrible situation. No one has the right to tell anyone how to grieve. Right now the best thing everyone can do is just try to surround the university with love and an outpouring of support. And some of these guys on our team only have football to lean on right now. Do your best to get to the bowl game and support our guys if they vote to play.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2022, 08:58 PM

Please stop telling everyone how to process this.

People trying to police message boards are the worst

vindastra
12-12-2022, 08:58 PM
Getting an Air Raid OC might be easier than Air Raid HC.

CEO type HC or Arnette to the top?

Leroy Jenkins
12-12-2022, 08:59 PM

Nobody's saying to hire a coach next week. But it's time to start getting the back channel feelers out. Even though it does feel slimy.

msstate7
12-12-2022, 08:59 PM
I feel sorry for keenum. He's gonna have to move on these decisions quickly without an AD. Him doing his job will seem heartless, but it's something that has to be done with some haste

msu15
12-12-2022, 09:01 PM

I would go Prime Time.

You have a few options

Promote Arnette to HC
Gus Malzahn
Willie Fritz
Clark Lea
Jamie chadwell
Gosh man I don?t know.
There's a certain name that isn't on your list that would be interested.

msstate7
12-12-2022, 09:02 PM

Who that?

bulldawg28
12-12-2022, 09:03 PM

I would go Prime Time.

You have a few options

Promote Arnette to HC
Gus Malzahn
Willie Fritz
Clark Lea
Jamie chadwell
Gosh man I don?t know.

I don't think Prime would leave Colorado but stranger things have happened.

BeardoMSU
12-12-2022, 09:05 PM
I feel sorry for keenum. He's gonna have to move on these decisions quickly without an AD. Him doing his job will seem heartless, but it's something that has to be done with some haste

It is what it is and comes with the job. I'm sure everyone understands.

Quaoarsking
12-12-2022, 09:06 PM

https://maroonandwhitenation.com/files/2015/10/dan-mullen-ncaa-football-mississippi-state-texas-a-m1.jpg

bulldawg28
12-12-2022, 09:07 PM
https://maroonandwhitenation.com/files/2015/10/dan-mullen-ncaa-football-mississippi-state-texas-a-m1.jpg

Ha

Catfish
12-12-2022, 09:07 PM

NO!!!!!

bulldawg28
12-12-2022, 09:09 PM
NO!!!!!

Dan with Arnette would be deadly.

DownwardDawg
12-12-2022, 09:09 PM

Thanks. We needed a laugh during this somber time. And everyone on here knew that name would come up.

redstickdawg
12-12-2022, 09:10 PM

not no, but hell no. I really respected him when he was our coach but he burned bridges and there is no indication that he wouldn't just use us as a stepping stone again. We need to look younger and more recruiting energy.

vindastra

Dan has thrown too many DCs under the bus.

DownwardDawg

For 1 season. Then we would get a new DC. Rinse and repeat.

TrapGame
12-12-2022, 09:11 PM
Dan has thrown too many DCs under the bus.

Arnett would whoop Dan's ass.

Leroy Jenkins
12-12-2022, 09:13 PM

Thank you for this mental image. I needed to smile.

DownwardDawg
12-12-2022, 09:14 PM

I think we all needed this thread actually. Healthy. And yes. Arnette would whoop his ass and take his job!!

Really Clark?
12-12-2022, 09:15 PM

All indications are that no matter what, Arnett is our guy through the bowl and if we decide to go with another HC it will be after an AD is hired. That is getting close to being done to though.

bulldawg28
12-12-2022, 09:16 PM

Lol, that's what Dan needs. Then he could reach his potential.

Dawg496
12-12-2022, 09:17 PM
Is everyone here the same exact person they were 5 years ago? No? Well I?m sure Dan has learned a few lessons too.

PikeDawg15
12-12-2022, 09:21 PM
I don't think Prime would leave Colorado but stranger things have happened.

I pray to God that Leach can survive this. Doesn?t matter if he ever coached again I just want him alive and well.

With that being said

Deion sanders would 100% leave Colorado tonight to come to MSU

More money

Better facilities

The SEC

Bigger spotlight

In the south

Great recruiting area

bulldawg28
12-12-2022, 09:23 PM
I pray to God that Leach can survive this. Doesn?t matter if he ever coached again I just want him alive and well.

With that being said

More money

Better facilities

The SEC

Bigger spotlight

In the south

Great recruiting area

I'm on board.

KOdawg1
12-12-2022, 09:26 PM
Arnett.

PikeDawg15
12-12-2022, 09:27 PM
I'm on board.

Only thing is , I think he would clean house completely.

The only person i think that may could stay is Arnette because he has a good track record the last 3 years here.

CoachT14
12-12-2022, 09:29 PM
I think you try your dangest to stay within the air raid system to help with the transition.

1a. Garrett Riley. I’ve warmed to Riley. Big risk, big reward. He’s young. Brother to Lincoln so he’s got the pedigree. What he’s done with Duggan and the TCU offense is exactly what we need.

If we can keep him paired with Arnett, that is a huge plus.

1B. Jeff Traylor. He might be 1 depending on a few things. He’s going to be less risk, not sure how big the reward is. Though it could be a big reward. I’m not sure if he’s an air raid guy and that’s more the only worry I have. But he throws the ball a lot and runs it about like a lot of us have been asking. He may be a mixture of spread/air raid from what I can tell of his coordinators and him.

2A. Jamey Chadwell. Winner. Will be a transition back to spread option though. Which is why he is here. I actually like him most of all. Mississippi connections. Could be a lifer.

2b. Gus Bus. He’s won everywhere he’s been. Recruits to what has always been our strengths. Obviously a risk because of being fired at auburn. But I think he could up our recruiting level slightly which could change some things.

3. Dave Clawson. Very similar to Mullen. But is a transition back to Spread option. Not sold on him in the SEC and his recruiting. But I could be wrong.

4a/4b, 4c Kane Womack - USA and Jon Sumrall - Troy and Zach Arnett. Biggest risks than most above. Offenses will change. Decent upside. Have been in the SEC before as coordinators or coaches.

5. Bring back Dan the Man. Doubt we ever get here, but dear god if we do. Just bring him back. It’s better than anything else we’d get if you get here.

Sonny Dykes is actually my number one. But no way that happens. Granted I’d pay him 10 mil. And say take or it leave it. We’re in the SEC. Come to big boy football.

I think you could look at Will Hall, (lot of jury still out here, great job with the hand he was dealt so far though, Willie Fritz (too old), Todd Monken, Rhett Lashlee, and Mike Elko

Really Clark?
12-12-2022, 09:38 PM
I think you try your dangest to stay within the air raid system to help with the transition.

1a. Garrett Riley. I’ve warmed to Riley. Big risk, big reward. He’s young. Brother to Lincoln so he’s got the pedigree. What he’s done with Duggan and the TCU offense is exactly what we need.

If we can keep him paired with Arnett, that is a huge plus.

1B. Jeff Traylor. He might be 1 depending on a few things. He’s going to be less risk, not sure how big the reward is. Though it could be a big reward. I’m not sure if he’s an air raid guy and that’s more the only worry I have. But he throws the ball a lot and runs it about like a lot of us have been asking. He may be a mixture of spread/air raid from what I can tell of his coordinators and him.

2A. Jamey Chadwell. Winner. Will be a transition back to spread option though. Which is why he is here. I actually like him most of all. Mississippi connections. Could be a lifer.

2b. Gus Bus. He’s won everywhere he’s been. Recruits to what has always been our strengths. Obviously a risk because of being fired at auburn. But I think he could up our recruiting level slightly which could change some things.

3. Dave Clawson. Very similar to Mullen. But is a transition back to Spread option. Not sold on him in the SEC and his recruiting. But I could be wrong.

4a/4b, 4c Kane Womack - USA and Jon Sumrall - Troy and Zach Arnett. Biggest risks than most above. Offenses will change. Decent upside. Have been in the SEC before as coordinators or coaches.

5. Bring back Dan the Man. Doubt we ever get here, but dear god if we do. Just bring him back. It’s better than anything else we’d get if you get here.

Sonny Dykes is actually my number one. But no way that happens. Granted I’d pay him 10 mil. And say take or it leave it. We’re in the SEC. Come to big boy football.

I think you could look at Will Hall, (lot of jury still out here, great job with the hand he was dealt so far though, Willie Fritz (too old), Todd Monken, Rhett Lashlee, and Mike Elko

Traylor runs a spread run / option - RPO offense. Utilizes mobile QB's. Riley is the only one on your list that runs an Air Raid type of offense

msstate7
12-12-2022, 09:44 PM
I don't know what we way we go, but I hope we don't eliminate guys bc they aren't air raid.

Saltydog
12-12-2022, 09:46 PM
Yeah, he wouldn't leave them. Not sure of his contract but this ain't happening.....

Saltydog
12-12-2022, 09:48 PM
Shotgun, where the heck you been? Welcome back.....

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 09:52 PM
I don't know what we way we go, but I hope we don't eliminate guys bc they aren't air raid.

Well then get ready for Joe Moorhead type transition 2.0.

Everyone says that coaches should "adapt to their personnel" but the reality is they are going to run systems that they know and believe in.

TNDawg35
12-12-2022, 09:53 PM
I would take Gus/Arnette in a heartbeat.

DownwardDawg
12-12-2022, 09:53 PM

With that being said

More money

Better facilities

The SEC

Bigger spotlight

In the south

Great recruiting area

One giant problem. We already have a QB. And with Parson coming in our backup is better than what he would bring with him. Just sayin...

memsu06
12-12-2022, 09:58 PM
All indications are that no matter what, Arnett is our guy through the bowl and if we decide to go with another HC it will be after an AD is hired. That is getting close to being done to though.

That's going to be one hell of a task for the new AD.

Replacing a so well known coach at a time of grieving for the players and fanbase.

I'd roll with Arnett and the current staff. They obviously like working together and keeping that continuity is a good thing.

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 09:58 PM
Traylor runs a spread run / option - RPO offense. Utilizes mobile QB's. Riley is the only one on your list that runs an Air Raid type of offense

I'd be down with Kane Wommack. He did an outstanding job at South Alabama. He's a defensive/special teams guy. So I think he would be OK with an Air Raid OC. Of course, the question is can he be a CEO guy and let Arnett do his thing?

No to Will Hall. He called out USM fans earlier in the season like Moorhead did- and that's something our fans don't tolerate very well. Personally, I think he's a bit overrated anyway.

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 09:59 PM
One giant problem. We already have a QB. And with Parson coming in our backup is better than what he would bring with him. Just sayin...

Yep. Deion would start his son at QB no question. That would be pretty awkward given the situation.

msstate7
12-12-2022, 10:00 PM
Well then get ready for Joe Moorhead type transition 2.0.

Everyone says that coaches should "adapt to their personnel" but the reality is they are going to run systems that they know and believe in.

The offense was struggling this year with one of the best air raid coaches. If we go air raid coaches, we most likely downgrade

Jarius
12-12-2022, 10:03 PM
The offense was struggling this year with one of the best air raid coaches. If we go air raid coaches, we most likely downgrade

I think Coach Leach was about to modify the offense a bit with the way he was recruiting. Parson is a different type of cat and I really really hate that we won’t get to see Coach Leach use him. I think a guy like Riley would do really well with that type of quarterback once he gets some seasoning.

msu15
12-12-2022, 10:05 PM

I handed it off to you and you took it 80 yards to the house! Bravo sir!!

TrapGame
12-12-2022, 10:07 PM

You don't want to run the air raid, period. We get it.

Irondawg
12-12-2022, 10:11 PM
This offensive roster is not built for Mullen?s or a similar offense, especially at qb

viverlibre
12-12-2022, 10:12 PM
1) It wouldn't take much for Gus, Dan or any other competent spread option coach to get their system up and running, just get a couple of QBs and RBs from the Portal and you're set. Although the OL has primarily pass blocked for the last few years, they can be trained to run block, most of them likely went through HS in a spread option offense.

2) Deon is absolutely not doing to leave Colorado after just taking the job and putting his players through the portal to sign with Col.

Turfdawg67
12-12-2022, 10:14 PM
Call it ruthless but if we have an interim for the next year you can say goodbye to the program Mike built. You can?t sustain it in modern day football

And a "chat room" is gonna take a stand, no matter how hard it is, and do what needs to be done and hire our next coach? You and the OP have ZERO to do with what our administration does so yeah, this thread is needless and premature. Our "discussion" on who should be our next coach is worthless and honestly quite heartless.

CoachT14
12-12-2022, 10:17 PM
And a "chat room" is gonna take a stand, no matter how hard it is, and do what needs to be done and hire our next coach? You and the OP have ZERO to do with what our administration does so yeah, this thread is needless and premature. Our "discussion" on who should be our next coach is worthless.

Cool. Don’t read then. Why are you on a message board if you don’t want to discuss stuff inside the program? Makes 0 sense.

smootness
12-12-2022, 10:22 PM

LOL no he would not.

Really Clark?
12-12-2022, 10:22 PM
This offensive roster is not built for Mullen?s or a similar offense, especially at qb

I don't believe in going down a coaching list right now and don't believe in bringing former coaches back, including Dan, but he has proven he can run a pass first offense without a lot of QB runs. It's not what he prefers, but he ran a pass first offense with Kyle Trisk. You find a coach that's adaptable in that model even if you are changing scheme.

msu15
12-12-2022, 10:26 PM
And a "chat room" is gonna take a stand, no matter how hard it is, and do what needs to be done and hire our next coach? You and the OP have ZERO to do with what our administration does so yeah, this thread is needless and premature. Our "discussion" on who should be our next coach is worthless and honestly quite heartless.

And yet here you are. Irony

CoachT14
12-12-2022, 10:34 PM
I'd be down with Kane Wommack. He did an outstanding job at South Alabama. He's a defensive/special teams guy. So I think he would be OK with an Air Raid OC. Of course, the question is can he be a CEO guy and let Arnett do his thing?

No to Will Hall. He called out USM fans earlier in the season like Moorhead did- and that's something our fans don't tolerate very well. Personally, I think he's a bit overrated anyway.

There’s not a ton of upside with Wommack to me. He’s young but this is his first year of success there. I’d rather take the risk with a Riley type because offensive coaches tend to workout better than defensive guys in the long run I think.

Not to mention with Riley you know you’re getting an Air Raid guy.

KOdawg1
12-12-2022, 10:37 PM

I don't recall anyone making you click the thread, read the thread, or respond to the thread.

It's not heartless at all, and I wish people would stop with all this fake outrage. It's more disrespectful than the discussion they're complaining about imo.

Turfdawg67
12-12-2022, 10:40 PM
And yet here you are. Irony

Look up the definition of irony douche, not even close. I wasn't adding to this disrespectful thread, I was calling out you dumbasses for "moving on" while many are praying for a miracle. It's called respect and class a**hole.

bulldawg28
12-12-2022, 10:42 PM
Kiff Kingsbury may be on the market.

dickiedawg
12-12-2022, 10:43 PM
We may be heartless for discussing it at this time, but someone on campus dang well better be thinking about it.
You know Cohen had a list of candidates ready just in case, maybe he left it in his desk drawer.

CoachT14
12-12-2022, 10:48 PM
Look up the definition of irony douche, not even close. I wasn't adding to this disrespectful thread, I was calling out you dumbasses for "moving on" while many are praying for a miracle. It's called respect and class a**hole.

Just stay out of the thread Mr. Moral Authority. You’re the guy being disrespectful.

Catfish
12-12-2022, 10:53 PM
Kiff Kingsbury may be on the market.

You are dead on. I'm watching the game and thought the same thing.

Medic601
12-12-2022, 10:54 PM
At this point, it is time to talk to Arnett after the bowl game. If he fits the bill, roll with him... If not, SWING FOR THE FENCES. We cant keep pulling his G5 guys and "hoping" something works out. Enough is enough - the SEC is set to leave us behind if we dont hire the right guy and these risk takers will get us left behind as we try to rebuild around them again. I think if we dont go with Arnett, we have to hit a home run with a big splash hire that can bring recruits here.

CoachT14
12-12-2022, 10:56 PM
At this point, it is time to talk to Arnett after the bowl game. If he fits the bill, roll with him... If not, SWING FOR THE FENCES. We cant keep pulling his G5 guys and "hoping" something works out. Enough is enough - the SEC is set to leave us behind if we dont hire the right guy and these risk takers will get us left behind as we try to rebuild around them again. I think if we dont go with Arnett, we have to hit a home run with a big splash hire that can bring recruits here.

When?s the last time we hired G5 guys?

bulldawg28
12-12-2022, 10:56 PM
You are dead on. I'm watching the game and thought the same thing.

Call him tonight and tell him we've got a ready made team. He's from the Leach tree and we would improve instantly.

PikeDawg15
12-12-2022, 11:00 PM
LOL no he would not.

Colorado is a better job than any sec school not named vandy ?

PikeDawg15
12-12-2022, 11:02 PM
Arnette had the Syracuse job for 1 week then he got the call and came here.

We are a much better opportunity than Colorado or Syracuse

Leach thought we were better than Washington state.

CoachT14
12-12-2022, 11:04 PM
Call him tonight and tell him we've got a ready made team. He's from the Leach tree and we would improve instantly.

Meh. He was never as good as Leach at Tech and failed upward to Arizona. He wouldn’t move the needle and would arguably set us back. He has been pretty mediocre at Zona too outside of 1 year.

Medic601
12-12-2022, 11:13 PM
When?s the last time we hired G5 guys?

Im just saying all these names people keep throwing out are "what ifs". Will Hall? The guy is 9-15 at USM... Why do we want to take a chance on something like that? I know a lot of people on here pride themselves in being able to pick out a diamond in the rough but why not go after a splash/headline hire like everyone else in the SEC seems to be doing rather than always going down to a lower tier coach and introduce him to "big football"... why dont we go big and go for a name like Sonny Dykes or someone? I guess I just dont get why people are always suggesting we always go to a lower tier coach and allow them to use us as a stepping stone...

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 11:17 PM

All we needed were some better receivers. That's it. We averaged 30 PPG with Leach this past year.

If we do something like say Dave Clawson offense we're going to need TE's and H-Backs. We have NONE on the roster except for that one walk-on guy who is coming in from Hinds next year who will be converted to a WR. It would be a major shift- not unlike going from Dan to Joe and Joe to Leach. That's what leads to downgrades because the players aren't there to run whatever completely opposite system.

Our guys know the Air Raid. A new coach coming in that is an Air Raid guy is going to have a lot less to teach and make over than someone who runs a different system.

PikeDawg15
12-12-2022, 11:20 PM
All we needed were some better receivers. That's it. We averaged 30 PPG with Leach this past year.

If we do something like say Dave Clawson offense we're going to need TE's and H-Backs. We have NONE on the roster except for that one walk-on guy who is coming in from Hinds next year who will be converted to a WR. It would be a major shift- not unlike going from Dan to Joe and Joe to Leach. That's what leads to downgrades because the players aren't there to run whatever completely opposite system.

Our guys know the Air Raid. A new coach coming in that is an Air Raid guy is going to have a lot less to teach and make over than someone who runs a different system.

This whole situation just sucks.

I wonder if spurrier jr is interested in being OC.

CoachT14
Im just saying all these names people keep throwing out are "what ifs". Will Hall? The guy is 9-15 at USM... Why do we want to take a chance on something like that? I know a lot of people on here pride themselves in being able to pick out a diamond in the rough but why not go after a splash/headline hire like everyone else in the SEC seems to be doing rather than always going down to a lower tier coach and introduce him to "big football"... why dont we go big and go for a name like Sonny Dykes or someone? I guess I just dont get why people are always suggesting we always go to a lower tier coach and allow them to use us as a stepping stone...

I’d love to have Dykes. I’d pay him 10 million. But I doubt he comes. The names I mentioned are realistic and guys who might would come and be successful.

Todd4State
1) It wouldn't take much for Gus, Dan or any other competent spread option coach to get their system up and running, just get a couple of QBs and RBs from the Portal and you're set. Although the OL has primarily pass blocked for the last few years, they can be trained to run block, most of them likely went through HS in a spread option offense.

2) Deon is absolutely not doing to leave Colorado after just taking the job and putting his players through the portal to sign with Col.

Gus Mahlzahn would be a MAJOR shift. It's not just QB. Again, we would need TE/H-Backs. We would have to bring in more backs and our o-line would have to change physically. Let me put it this way- Gus's QB at UCF is John Rhys Plumlee. No thanks.

Medic601
12-12-2022, 11:22 PM
I’d love to have Dykes. I’d pay him 10 million. But I doubt he comes. The names I mentioned are realistic and guys who might would come and be successful.

I am by no means a football expert that knows all the ins and outs of a coaching hire but I guess im just saying I wish we would swing for some big name hires rather than dipping down into a lower tier and hoping we pick a good one. Id like to see someone with a proven track record in "big" football rather than someone that has an ok to losing track record at a lower tier... but I see where you are coming from.

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 11:23 PM
This whole situation just sucks.

I wonder if spurrier jr is interested in being OC.

The real question is does he want to be the HC?

We can kick the tires. Even if he doesn't I think there is a chance we could get his OC Garrett Riley.

bulldawg28
12-12-2022, 11:24 PM
Meh. He was never as good as Leach at Tech and failed upward to Arizona. He wouldn’t move the needle and would arguably set us back. He has been pretty mediocre at Zona too outside of 1 year.

He would have better talent here than Tech.

bulldawg28
12-12-2022, 11:28 PM

Dykes is realistic. The only challenge is the playoff expansion. He'll have a shoe in yearly in that conference.

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 11:28 PM
I am by no means a football expert that knows all the ins and outs of a coaching hire but I guess im just saying I wish we would swing for some big name hires rather than dipping down into a lower tier and hoping we pick a good one. Id like to see someone with a proven track record in "big" football rather than someone that has an ok to losing track record at a lower tier... but I see where you are coming from.

We're in a similar situation as we were when Dan left.

Veteran team coming back and potentially on the cusp of a special season.

Short term- it makes sense for us to keep as much in place as possible. But is that the best long term for MSU?

On one hand I don't want to mess up another potentially special season for all of us- so I don't want a Joe Moorhead. But MSU also doesn't need a Bill Stewart situation either where we have one good season- say 9-3- only to be followed up by 2-3 poor seasons and then a rebuild.

Honestly, we need a retread who will keep everyone in place and stay out of the way.

bulldawg28
12-12-2022, 11:31 PM
We're in a similar situation as we were when Dan left.

Veteran team coming back and potentially on the cusp of a special season.

Short term- it makes sense for us to keep as much in place as possible. But is that the best long term for MSU?

On one hand I don't want to mess up another potentially special season for all of us- so I don't want a Joe Moorhead. But MSU also doesn't need a Bill Stewart situation either where we have one good season- say 9-3- only to be followed up by 2-3 poor seasons and then a rebuild.

Honestly, we need a retread who will keep everyone in place and stay out of the way.

We've got a tough schedule next year. We'll need to tweak some things or get a few bounces for any semblance of this years success.

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 11:55 PM
We've got a tough schedule next year. We'll need to tweak some things or get a few bounces for any semblance of this years success.

Never easy in the SEC. Dropping Georgia off the schedule helps. Having the Egg Bowl at home is easier. We have one more home game than this year. We have Kentucky at home. LSU and Alabama struggled on the road this year- we have both in Starkville so that may give us a better chance.

bulldawg28
12-13-2022, 12:19 AM
Never easy in the SEC. Dropping Georgia off the schedule helps. Having the Egg Bowl at home is easier. We have one more home game than this year. We have Kentucky at home. LSU and Alabama struggled on the road this year- we have both in Starkville so that may give us a better chance.

Agreed

TheLostDawg
12-13-2022, 12:53 AM
What kind of offense does Chris Klieman run?

Cowbell
12-13-2022, 01:16 AM

Especially when Dan throws Zach under the bus the first time...

Cowbell
12-13-2022, 01:17 AM
Lol, that's what Dan needs. Then he could reach his potential.

You may be on to something here... beat the Scientology out of him

Todd4State
12-13-2022, 01:19 AM

Run first balanced I think. Haven't really watched him much since he went to Kansas State.

Cowbell
12-13-2022, 01:20 AM

You boys need to go watch his Tech teams. They were trash at the end.

Reunion Dog
12-13-2022, 02:52 AM
🔩 that clown show.

bulldawg28
12-13-2022, 06:55 AM
You boys need to go watch his Tech teams. They were trash at the end.

I'm speaking to keeping it in the air raid philosophy.

mo7888
12-13-2022, 07:44 AM
I think keeping Arnett is priority #1a and keeping tbe air raid is priority #1b. If that's with Arnett as the HC and using an air raid OC or an air raid HC and keeping Arnett as DC we should be fine. I wouldn't transition away from the air raid with what this team is going through emotionally or with what we are bringing back for next season. I'd hope the new OC would continue with the direction Leach was going bringing in QB's that can run a few times per game though.

bulldawg28
12-13-2022, 07:54 AM
I think keeping Arnett is priority #1a and keeping tbe air raid is priority #1b. If that's with Arnett as the HC and using an air raid OC or an air raid HC and keeping Arnett as DC we should be fine. I wouldn't transition away from the air raid with what this team is going through emotionally or with what we are bringing back for next season. I'd hope the new OC would continue with the direction Leach was going bringing in QB's that can run a few times per game though.

It's possible to run into a situation that we also need a DC. The time to be both the DC and HC would be taxing. Saban tried for awhile but eventually gave it up somewhat.

RiverCityDawg
12-13-2022, 08:03 AM
It's possible to run into a situation that we also need a DC. The time to be both the DC and HC would be taxing. Saban tried for awhile but eventually gave it up somewhat.

Agree, it would be a lot to ask a first time HC to also be the DC. I assume Hughes could just take all the safeties (which I'm not a fan of), but even then it's a lot on Arnett's plate being HC/DC.

But if we make Arnett HC and add a DC, we'll have to promote within for OC or drop a current offensive coach to make room for a OC. I don't see anyone on staff currently that I would be thrilled about becoming the OC in addition to what they're already doing. Spurrier Jr is a no for me.

mo7888
12-13-2022, 08:07 AM

If Arnett doesn't feel like he can do both then we need to do whatever it takes to keep him as just the DC. That's where the majority of his value is. There's no way I'd promote him away from what he's great at.

bulldawg28
12-13-2022, 08:21 AM
Agree, it would be a lot to ask a first time HC to also be the DC. I assume Hughes could just take all the safeties (which I'm not a fan of), but even then it's a lot on Arnett's plate being HC/DC.

But if we make Arnett HC and add a DC, we'll have to promote within for OC or drop a current offensive coach to make room for a OC. I don't see anyone on staff currently that I would be thrilled about becoming the OC in addition to what they're already doing. Spurrier Jr is a no for me.

Agreed, making Arnette a HC could potentially start a new philosophy on the offensive side of the ball.

bulldawg28
12-13-2022, 08:22 AM
If Arnett doesn't feel like he can do both then we need to do whatever it takes to keep him as just the DC. That's where the majority of his value is. There's no way I'd promote him away from what he's great at.

Makes sense.

ScrotieMcBoogerBalls
12-13-2022, 08:43 AM

Except Dan would more than likely run Arnette off. How many DC's did he have that stayed more than 1 year consecutively? Grantham? He's a dick.

CoachT14
12-13-2022, 08:53 AM

They've spread out a little more since hiring Colin Klein as OC. Problem is, Klein is probably the guy at Kansas State if you hire Klieman away. So question becomes does Klieman go back to the more pro style offense he usually has used or does he mold a little bit.

I do have no doubt that he would do well as Head coach anywhere he goes. I don't know that we could pull him either, much like the Dykes situation. I know I listed Garrett Riley as my number 1 early. But it's actually Dykes. I just don't how we could pull him with the extended playoff and TCU's chances of dominating the Big 12 now.

In saying that, if I'm AD, Dykes is my first call and I keep trying. He's the best and most likely efficient transition. I'd give him 10 million a year and not blink an eye.

I also think with Dykes or Riley you have a good chance of keeping Arnett. I imagine they all have some sort of relationship because of the Leach Tree.

bulldawg28
12-13-2022, 09:11 AM
Except Dan would more than likely run Arnette off. How many DC's did he have that stayed more than 1 year consecutively? Grantham? He's a dick.

True

TNDawg35
12-13-2022, 09:30 AM
We are literally built for a GusBus team. We have Tulu, the bruiser back in Marks, (maybe he could bring back DJ) lots of recievers, the portal can get us TE/HB. Let Will be servicable until he isn’t then move on. Hell bring in a transfer that Gus likes. It can be blown up and rebuilt very quickly with the portal.

Keep Arnette and the D is set, just plug a few…

I think Gus is a good coach. He got in a bad spot in Auburn with boosters, but looks to be doing well at UCF…

Johnson85
12-13-2022, 09:36 AM

If we hire a Defensive guy, I think that is telling Arnett goodbye. Just don't think you can expect Arnett to stick around if he doesn't get autonomy on his side of the ball and don't think you can hihre a defensive head coach and tell him to keep his hands off the defense.

Johnson85
12-13-2022, 09:45 AM

We can't take a bad candidate because we can't find a good one that is air raid, but damn it'd be painful for us to switch right now. I think Arnette is a good enough candidate that we'd be better off with him as HC and an air raid OC than trying to transition right now. If that doesn't work out, we'll be in a better position to transition if we've spent three years building a roster to run a more modern air raid that runs more and utilizes a mobile qb. If it doesn't work out, you probably are only having one more bad season than you'd have if you brought in a coach to transition, as even with the portal, it'd probably take a couple of years to flip the roster to something that fits, and that's probably optimistic considering our NIL position.

BrunswickDawg
12-13-2022, 10:19 AM
I Arnett says he just wants to stay DC, then I'd elevate Spurrier, bring SS SR. in as an offensive/recruiting advisor, and hire an a Leach tree OC. Jr. has been around the SEC a long time in addition to having worked for two of the greatest offensive minds in CFB history. I think with the right structure and an intact staff he could handle it.

mo7888
12-13-2022, 10:20 AM
We can't take a bad candidate because we can't find a good one that is air raid, but damn it'd be painful for us to switch right now. I think Arnette is a good enough candidate that we'd be better off with him as HC and an air raid OC than trying to transition right now. If that doesn't work out, we'll be in a better position to transition if we've spent three years building a roster to run a more modern air raid that runs more and utilizes a mobile qb. If it doesn't work out, you probably are only having one more bad season than you'd have if you brought in a coach to transition, as even with the portal, it'd probably take a couple of years to flip the roster to something that fits, and that's probably optimistic considering our NIL position.

We don't have to go away from the air raid...there are good HC and OC's we can get..

msstate7
12-13-2022, 10:23 AM
I Arnett says he just wants to stay DC, then I'd elevate Spurrier, bring SS SR. in as an offensive/recruiting advisor, and hire an a Leach tree OC. Jr. has been around the SEC a long time in addition to having worked for two of the greatest offensive minds in CFB history. I think with the right structure and an intact staff he could handle it.

Good blood lines, but man, this seems a stretch

smootness
12-13-2022, 10:43 AM
Good blood lines, but man, this seems a stretch

Is it, though? He is passing game coordinator here and held the same position for a while under his dad at SC. Yes, those are two head coaches who do the play calling, so he hasn't been doing that, but he has been heavily involved and working under great offensive minds for a long time. Seems like he deserves a shot as coordinator somewhere at this point.

msstate7
12-13-2022, 10:46 AM
Is it, though? He is passing game coordinator here and held the same position for a while under his dad at SC. Yes, those are two head coaches who do the play calling, so he hasn't been doing that, but he has been heavily involved and working under great offensive minds for a long time. Seems like he deserves a shot as coordinator somewhere at this point.

Off co? Sure. This was about him being HC though, right?

Johnson85
12-13-2022, 10:49 AM
We don't have to go away from the air raid...there are good HC and OC's we can get..

I think so also, but I was just pointing out that if we can't find an air raid head coach candidate that is the right fit that we can pull, the next step would likely be to go with a defensive head coach who will hire an air raid OC, not go hire a head coach that will transition away from the air raid. Even if we Tennessee'd up our coaching search, at the end of the day, I don't think it's plausible that we'll go away from the air raid because Arnette with an air raid OC would seem to be a better route than moving away from the air raid.

Only scenario I could see is if we somehow managed to pull a really good offensive HC with a good track record that is not air raid. I can't even think of what option that would be. Maybe if Gus had an mobile QB he would bring with him through the transfer portal? If we had a gus type QB, I'm not sure if our transition would be that bad because I think we have the skill positions to run it otherwise. Not sure if it would be hard for our existing OL to block for his offense.

Can't think of anybody else that is a reasonably likely candidate to pull that would also be worth us switching offenses for. In the unlikely even that Shane Beamer's wife was dying to move back home and could convince him to come (he's actually not paid much now, but I assume he's done well enough that USCe would pay to keep him), is his track record good enough to want to pay for him? (although I don't think he's tied to an offense so he might be willing to hire an air raid OC)

msstate7
12-13-2022, 10:51 AM
I think so also, but I was just pointing out that if we can't find an air raid head coach candidate that is the right fit that we can pull, the next step would likely be to go with a defensive head coach who will hire an air raid OC, not go hire a head coach that will transition away from the air raid. Even if we Tennessee'd up our coaching search, at the end of the day, I don't think it's plausible that we'll go away from the air raid because Arnette with an air raid OC would seem to be a better route than moving away from the air raid.

Only scenario I could see is if we somehow managed to pull a really good offensive HC with a good track record that is not air raid. I can't even think of what option that would be. Maybe if Gus had an mobile QB he would bring with him through the transfer portal? If we had a gus type QB, I'm not sure if our transition would be that bad because I think we have the skill positions to run it otherwise. Not sure if it would be hard for our existing OL to block for his offense.

Can't think of anybody else that is a reasonably likely candidate to pull that would also be worth us switching offenses for. In the unlikely even that Shane Beamer's wife was dying to move back home and could convince him to come (he's actually not paid much now, but I assume he's done well enough that USCe would pay to keep him), is his track record good enough to want to pay for him? (although I don't think he's tied to an offense so he might be willing to hire an air raid OC)

We're assuming that arnett would wanna run the air raid. He could have a completely different vision for the offense

Johnson85
12-13-2022, 10:57 AM
We're assuming that arnett would wanna run the air raid. He could have a completely different vision for the offense

If he's not going to bring in an air raid OC, then that probably ends his candidacy. Unless he has an OC that can guarantee to bring a QB with him in the portal. Because if you don't get a QB in the transfer portal, what does Will look like in any non-air raid offense in the SEC?

Duckdog
12-13-2022, 11:07 AM
Man, this whole thing just sucks......

msstate7
12-13-2022, 11:10 AM
If he's not going to bring in an air raid OC, then that probably ends his candidacy. Unless he has an OC that can guarantee to bring a QB with him in the portal. Because if you don't get a QB in the transfer portal, what does Will look like in any non-air raid offense in the SEC?

See that's what I don't want... if Zach is our guy, then we have to trust him. Him saying I would rather run whatever than air raid shouldn't change whether he's our guy or not.

Saltydog
12-13-2022, 11:16 AM

The chances of us getting a "big name" at this juncture is very minimal. We struck gold getting Leach 3 years ago. Doing it again isn't likely to happen. We've got to find the right cultural fit, not just someone who is good at x's and o's.

Matt3467
12-13-2022, 11:17 AM

This whole situation is horrible. I just want Mike Leach here and was looking forward to many more years of him but moving on our program is in serious trouble if we can't get a firm footing soon. We have no AD, no HC and signing day looms. Who's to say that Parson stays? Leach may have been the biggest reason he came here and with the uncertainty now who knows who stays or leaves in our class but I'm worried about our offensive signees.

On one hand Dan coming back is nice but we never had consistency with DCs and we have a good one right now that apparently loves it here.
We could go splash and pick up someone like Art Briles. Heck AU broke the ice.
I think like others have mentioned that staying within the Air Raid is the best for our team right now and I'd like to see us do that.

ImissCityBagel
12-13-2022, 11:24 AM
Kliff Kingsbury
Leach guy with SEC experience.
In a perfect world...

msstate7
12-13-2022, 11:26 AM
Kliff Kingsbury
In a perfect world...

Not sure he would come back to college, but I would like this offense much more with his running qb and te additions

TrapGame
The chances of us getting a "big name" at this juncture is very minimal. We struck gold getting Leach 3 years ago. Doing it again isn't likely to happen. We've got to find the right cultural fit, not just someone who is good at x's and o's.

I think it rests on who is calling us?

If we've sparked the interest of some big names then we pursue those options. And I mean big program changing names like Meyer or Petrino.

TrapGame
Kliff Kingsbury
In a perfect world...

Nope. He put Texas Tech in the ground.

msstate7
12-13-2022, 11:31 AM
Nope. He put Texas Tech in the ground.

Since leach left that program, they've basically been a 5-7 to 7-5 program under everyone. Tommy T was a pretty good coach, and he was the same.

CoachT14
12-13-2022, 11:33 AM
Kliff Kingsbury
In a perfect world...

The guy has failed as Head Coach everywhere he's been despite having some of the best QB's to manage. He shouldn't even be in the discussion.

BeardoMSU
12-13-2022, 11:40 AM
Arnett will be the interim through the Bowl, then we'll do a search. Obviously it sucks having to make a coaching change in these circumstances, but you HAVE to do your due diligence. That's why we have an President and administration; to be adults and make tough decisions. Ideally we'd hire an AD in the next week or so, that way we can have that person's vision aid Keenum in the process, but I guess we'll see.

We may end up hiring Arnett, but you have to at least look around. I'd think the absolute worst thing we could do to honor Mike's legacy and memory is to make an emotionally hasty hire that ruins the foundation he left us.

My 2 cents.

CaptainObvious
12-13-2022, 11:45 AM
Dave Bartoo just reminded Chuck Oliver that Zack Arnett?s defense ranked 71st this year. He said Arnett is not a HC and should not be the permanent HC. He said MSU needs to hire a guy who is either a current head coach or who has been a Head Coach in D1 before.

mo7888
12-13-2022, 11:51 AM
See that's what I don't want... if Zach is our guy, then we have to trust him. Him saying I would rather run whatever than air raid shouldn't change whether he's our guy or not.

I disagree... if he wanted to run something else we find that out in the interview process and move on... there's no way we go into a teardown mode at this juncture...

TrapGame
12-13-2022, 11:51 AM
Dave Bartoo just reminded Chuck Oliver that Zack Arnett?s defense ranked 71st this year. He said Arnett is not a HC and should not be the permanent HC. He said MSU needs to hire a guy who is either a current head coach or who has been a Head Coach in D1 before.

Bartoo can stick his Matrix up his crack.

Santiago
12-13-2022, 11:54 AM
If Benko as AD, he has already hired Helton at Ga Southern. Is Helton's brother the HC at Western KY, and runs the air raid? I am just talking out loud here.

HancockCountyDog
12-13-2022, 12:19 PM
Bartoo can stick his Matrix up his crack.

Anyone that thinks we had a bad defense last year did not watch our games.

Our defense carried our team and Arnett shut down some solid offenses all year.

I'm not saying I want him as the next HC, but down playing what he did last year is just bullshit.

DownwardDawg
12-13-2022, 12:30 PM

I'm not saying I want him as the next HC, but down playing what he did last year is just bullshit.
Agree. A lot of bend but don't break, but they were solid.

HancockCountyDog
12-13-2022, 12:31 PM
Agree. A lot of bend but don't break, but they were solid.

Arnett ate Lane's lunch the entire game.

yjnkdawg
12-13-2022, 12:32 PM

Bartoo isn't making the hire. So who cares what he thinks or says.

BrunswickDawg
12-13-2022, 12:33 PM
If Benko as AD, he has already hired Helton at Ga Southern. Is Helton's brother the HC at Western KY, and runs the air raid? I am just talking out loud here.

That's an interesting choice. WKU has lit up the stats. 4400 passing yards and 1800 rushing this year

RocketDawg
12-13-2022, 12:35 PM
Dykes is realistic. The only challenge is the playoff expansion. He'll have a shoe in yearly in that conference.

Sonny Dykes is currently in the playoffs and could possilby win the NC. I think he'll be a hard get at any salary. He currently makes $6M at TCU but he'll almost certainly get a big raise just for being in the final 4. That said, give him a shot. It doesn't cost anything to ask and negotiate.

DownwardDawg
12-13-2022, 12:35 PM
Arnett ate Lane's lunch the entire game.

Absolutely. Especially in the red zone.

yjnkdawg
12-13-2022, 12:41 PM
Ross Dellenger says AD search has been paused.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1602697186617221123?cxt=HHwWhoCzrbGm9r0sAAAA

Johnson85
12-13-2022, 12:42 PM

It absolutely has to play into it. A coaching hire is a crap shoot regardless. Even if you feel good about Arnett, there's no way you can justify feeling so good about him that you're ready to go on a two year rebuild, minimum, on offense. If Nick Saban says he wants to take our job tomorrow and run a power spread, sure, pull the trigger. If Gus Malzahn wants to come run his version of the spread, you maybe say yes; you definitely want to hear his plans for QB next year. If you have a promising but relatively inexperienced coordinator saying he wants to tear down and rebuild the offensive side of the ball, and you have other promising but relatively inexperienced coordinators saying they want to build on what we have on both sides of the ball, you don't pick the one that wants to tear it down, because even if you think he's the better candidate, there is no way to be sure enough in that assessment to decide to tear it down.

If we were already in a rebuild situation, that's a different situation. Had we been hiring at a normal time, I'm not sure we'd have been willing to bite the bullet with Leach. Cohen probably would have, but an AD less committed to being unconventional might would have decided we could fix the culture problem without having to turnover the roster and that we had some good pieces to build on.

msstate7
12-13-2022, 12:44 PM

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1602697186617221123?cxt=HHwWhoCzrbGm9r0sAAAA

I'm fine with waiting a few days, but I don't want us waiting till after the holidays

DownwardDawg
12-13-2022, 12:46 PM

Unfortunately, this is all just terrible timing for MSU football.

yjnkdawg
12-13-2022, 12:49 PM
I'm fine with waiting a few days, but I don't want us waiting till after the holidays

Could be Keenum is going to make the HC call prior to an AD hire.

Maverick91
12-13-2022, 12:52 PM
Arnett will be the interim through the Bowl, then we'll do a search. Obviously it sucks having to make a coaching change in these circumstances, but you HAVE to do your due diligence. That's why we have an President and administration; to be adults and make tough decisions. Ideally we'd hire an AD in the next week or so, that way we can have that person's vision aid Keenum in the process, but I guess we'll see.

We may end up hiring Arnett, but you have to at least look around. I'd think the absolute worst thing we could do to honor Mike's legacy and memory is to make an emotionally hasty hire that ruins the foundation he left us.

My 2 cents.

Couldn?t have said it better

662dawg
12-13-2022, 12:55 PM
Could be Keenum is going to make the HC call prior to an AD hire.

May be. He would know more about what best fits MSU than anyone they will bring in as AD, especially if we are going to find someone similar to Coach Leach, which I think we almost have to do.

Extendedcab
12-13-2022, 01:02 PM
Sonny Dykes is currently in the playoffs and could possilby win the NC. I think he'll be a hard get at any salary. He currently makes $6M at TCU but he'll almost certainly get a big raise just for being in the final 4. That said, give him a shot. It doesn't cost anything to ask and negotiate.

I like your way of thinking - it never hurts to ask! Be proactive, dictate the narrative and not be on the defensive.

Cooterpoot
12-13-2022, 01:02 PM
My opinion: Arnett will be the next coach. I believe they've been working to find an offensive coordinator already. I think there will be a couple staff changes & we'll move forward. I would expect a low-end contract with a low-end buyout to cover our asses.
As a State fan and Arnett fan, I think it's the only logical path due to the circumstances.

ImissCityBagel
12-13-2022, 01:05 PM
The guy has failed as Head Coach everywhere he's been despite having some of the best QB's to manage. He shouldn't even be in the discussion.

Where has he failed? Especially in the QB development aspect.

yjnkdawg
12-13-2022, 01:06 PM
May be. He would know more about what best fits MSU than anyone they will bring in as AD, especially if we are going to find someone similar to Coach Leach, which I think we almost have to do.

Our players and recruits don't care who the AD is but they do want to know and need to know who their coaches will be, sooner rather than later.

yjnkdawg
12-13-2022, 01:07 PM
My opinion: Arnett will be the next coach. I believe they've been working to find an offensive coordinator already. I think there will be a couple staff changes & we'll move forward. I would expect a low-end contract with a low-end buyout to cover our asses.
As a State fan and Arnett fan, I think it's the only logical path due to the circumstances.

I think your opinion is 100% correct.

Todd4State
12-13-2022, 01:07 PM

Clay and Tyson both run the Air Raid. Tyson Helton would be an ideal fit for us.

Coach34
12-13-2022, 01:13 PM

Texas and OU are leaving the B12. No way Dykes leaves TCU and that big salary in a conference he can likely win most seasons

662dawg
12-13-2022, 01:16 PM

662dawg
12-13-2022, 01:18 PM
Our players and recruits don't care who the AD is but they do want to know and need to know who their coaches will be, sooner rather than later.

Agree

662dawg
12-13-2022, 01:19 PM
Clay and Tyson both run the Air Raid. Tyson Helton would be an ideal fit for us.

Clay just went 4-8 at Ga. Southern. No way in hell he's our next head coach lol. Tyson went 8-5 at WK, but I can't see him here either other than an Offensive coordinator & he's likely not doing that.

Cooterpoot
12-13-2022, 01:20 PM
With us pushing back our AD search, we won't have an AD until after Christmas IMO. I don't know if we announce Arnett ahead of signing day or not. If we do, I have to believe we've got a commitment from a good OC (think Air Raid/Leach disciple). It's weird deal with a bowl game and signing day and just terrible timing. My only fear is we roll over and just stick a staff member in at OC permanently.

Matt3467
12-13-2022, 01:26 PM

This. No way anyone that has watched us believe that Arnett is a below average DC. Heck I think he's dang near the best we've had in a very long time. Imagine him with the 2018 D.

662dawg
12-13-2022, 01:26 PM
With us pushing back our AD search, we won't have an AD until after Christmas IMO. I don't know if we announce Arnett ahead of signing day or not. If we do, I have to believe we've got a commitment from a good OC (think Air Raid/Leach disciple). It's weird deal with a bowl game and signing day and just terrible timing. My only fear is we roll over had just stick a staff member in at OC permanently.

I truly believe this is our best route. I really wish Spurrier Jr would have been ready to take over as a HC, leave Arnette as DC & pay him a lot of money & then find another Leach disciple for OC. IMO Spurrier Jr would be really good from a marketing & name recognition standpoint. But not sure he's ready for the primetime.

Cooterpoot
12-13-2022, 01:30 PM
I truly believe this is our best route. I really wish Spurrier Jr would have been ready to take over as a HC, leave Arnette as DC & pay him a lot of money & then find another Leach disciple for OC. IMO Spurrier Jr would be really good from a marketing & name recognition standpoint. But not sure he's ready for the primetime.

Spurrier is the last coach on staff you'd want as coach. Players don't even like him much. I honestly hope he finds another job and we bring Bump home.

Santiago
12-13-2022, 01:31 PM
This bowl game might be a time we really appreciate Will Rogers on the field, with his own playcalling.

BrunswickDawg
Clay just went 4-8 at Ga. Southern. No way in hell he's our next head coach lol. Tyson went 8-5 at WK, but I can't see him here either other than an Offensive coordinator & he's likely not doing that.

Tyson Helton took a 3-9 WKU and went 9-4 his first season. He is 31-21 and gone to 4 straight Bowls, won 8 games in 3 of 4 seasons, had the #2 scoring offense in '21 with a #30 SOS, and finished #1 & #2 in passing offense the past 2 seasons respectively.
He comes from a coaching family, and has worked for offensive minded HC's like June Jones, Neil Callaway, and Jeff Brohm.

I'm not sold on him being the guy - but he's shown he can coach.

KOdawg1
HC- Arnett
OC/QB- Littrell or Kittley
DC/LB- Matt Brock
RB- Washington
OWR- Chad Bumphis (Spurrier if Bump says no)
IWR/TE- Hollingshead
OL- Miller
DL- Phelps
CB- McBath
S- Hughes
ST- Mele

This would be my ideal staff

yjnkdawg
12-13-2022, 01:33 PM

What schools have been interested in Spurrier Jr. as a HC or OC? The old ball coach (his Dad) is why his name is known.

Santiago
12-13-2022, 01:45 PM
Anyone in the know help out on this question. Was it as much of Benko than Cohen that targeted hiring Mike Leach?

CoachT14
12-13-2022, 01:46 PM
Where has he failed? Especially in the QB development aspect.

He had arguably the best QB in the NFL and went 7-6 and 5-7 with him as the starting QB at Tech. He went 35-40 at Tech. That would be an absolutely horrible hire.

CoachT14
12-13-2022, 01:47 PM
With us pushing back our AD search, we won't have an AD until after Christmas IMO. I don't know if we announce Arnett ahead of signing day or not. If we do, I have to believe we've got a commitment from a good OC (think Air Raid/Leach disciple). It's weird deal with a bowl game and signing day and just terrible timing. My only fear is we roll over and just stick a staff member in at OC permanently.

Pushing the AD search back to after the holidays is so misguided.

Todd4State
12-13-2022, 01:51 PM

Clay went 6-6 in year one at Georgia Southern. Only reason he might come is if Benko is the AD.

662dawg
12-13-2022, 01:51 PM
Spurrier is the last coach on staff you'd want as coach. Players don't even like him much. I honestly hope he finds another job and we bring Bump home.

I have never heard this before. Interesting. 🤔

People on here said similar things about Leach as well but it was far from reality. I'm honestly not sure on Spurrier.

Todd4State
12-13-2022, 01:54 PM

With all due respect to Keenum and the situation he really needs to think about this.

Yes I understand we need to be respectful. Yes I understand we don't need to rush an AD hire. But we also need to do what is best for MSU and our players long term as well. That's just reality.

CoachT14
12-13-2022, 01:54 PM
I have never heard this before. Interesting. ��

People on here said similar things about Leach as well but it was far from reality. I'm honestly not sure on Spurrier.

Seen several hint at he was part of the issues with Rara and Zavion. Don't know the truth behind that though.

662dawg
12-13-2022, 01:55 PM
Clay went 6-6 in year one at Georgia Southern. Only reason he might come is if Benko is the AD.

And worse than that this year. If Benko came in and hired Clay Helton you'd probably piss off over half the fan base. IMO that would be a terrible first hire to make. I think it would be momentum crushing.

CoachT14
12-13-2022, 01:55 PM
With all due respect to Keenum and the situation he really needs to think about this.

Yes I understand we need to be respectful. Yes I understand we don't need to rush an AD hire. But we also need to do what is best for MSU and our players long term as well. That's just reality.

Completely agree. It's not easy, but sometimes tough decision have to be made. This hire needs to happen asap.

CoachT14
12-13-2022, 01:56 PM
And worse than that this year. If Benko came in and hired Clay Helton you'd probably piss off over half the fan base. IMO that would be a terrible first hire to make. I think it would be momentum crushing.

Clay Helton has no business being the head coach at State. He failed spectacularly at USC with all the resources in the world.

662dawg
12-13-2022, 01:58 PM
Seen several hint at he was part of the issues with Rara and Zavion. Don't know the truth behind that though.

I can't argue that they didn't like Spurrier Jr bc I'd be lying. I don't know. But it isn't why they left. They felt like they were worth more than they're actually were. Especially RaRa.

662dawg
12-13-2022, 01:59 PM
Clay Helton has no business being the head coach at State. He failed spectacularly at USC with all the resources in the world.

Agreed

yjnkdawg
12-13-2022, 01:59 PM

The only logical reason on that if we were going to hire Arnett as our HC. The players and our recruits need to know the coaching situation sooner rather then later, and they don't care who the AD is. There is no best solution concerning the route to go in hiring a HC under these circumstances. There are positives and negatives to any situation you pursue.

CoachT14
12-13-2022, 02:01 PM
I can't argue that they didn't like Spurrier Jr bc I'd be lying. I don't know. But it isn't why they left. They felt like they were worth more than they're actually were. Especially RaRa.

Oh I know, but I think his relationship with them did not help the situation needless to say.

Really Clark?
12-13-2022, 02:02 PM
The AD search had to be pushed back because of conflicts with timing, funeral and the holidays. There were interviews still scheduled to take place end of this week.

yjnkdawg
12-13-2022, 02:03 PM

Zavion wanted to play at LSU and maybe he thought he had an offer, but he apparently got misled by the one advising him. He may even be back. RaRa was the money one.

662dawg
12-13-2022, 02:04 PM
Oh I know, but I think his relationship with them did not help the situation needless to say.

I definitely can't argue that point. I have no idea. If he isn't liked among the players then we definitely can't consider him as a head coach or even an offensive coordinator lol.

But I just go back to how so many people were completely wrong when they said similar things about Leach. This team absolutely loved the guy. Offensive & defensive players. This is going to be really hard on these young men.

Johnson85
12-13-2022, 02:06 PM
The AD search had to be pushed back because of conflicts with timing, funeral and the holidays. There were interviews still scheduled to take place end of this week.

Pushing back for a few days, sure, but if you have access to a plane, not sure why you'd push it back past the holidays.

Really Clark?
12-13-2022, 02:11 PM
Pushing back for a few days, sure, but if you have access to a plane, not sure why you'd push it back past the holidays.

Again, there are conflicts. With us and the candidates and throwing the holidays and plans on top of it. It's ok, we will be fine. It won't destroy our program in a matter of few weeks.

Cooterpoot
12-13-2022, 02:11 PM
The only logical reason on that if we were going to hire Arnett as our HC. The players and our recruits need to know the coaching situation sooner rather then later, and they don't care who the AD is. There is no best solution concerning the route to go in hiring a HC under these circumstances. There are positives and negatives to any situation you pursue.

We drug our feet spectacularly on hiring a new AD. Keenum deserves criticism for that. But, with a low end contract with a low buyout, hiring a coach now is likely going to happen IMO. It just makes sense. Sucks all this is happening. But if Arnett doesn't work out in two years you cut him loose. Of course, many seem to forget, players can haul ass when the coach is fired. So it's this year or in a couple years if it doesn't work out. Pick your poison and pray Arnett works out.

Todd4State
12-13-2022, 02:14 PM

To be clear I would want Tyson Helton his brother but why would hiring Clay Helton piss off half the fan base? You're mistaken he went 6-6 this year and he beat Nebraska and Appalachian State.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/georgia-southern-football-is-back-under-helton-its-only-a-matter-of-time-for-the-eagles/ar-AA14EPQ5

Catfish
12-13-2022, 02:16 PM
We drug our feet spectacularly on hiring a new AD. Keenum deserves criticism for that. But, with a low end contract with a low buyout, hiring a coach now is likely going to happen IMO. It just makes sense. Sucks all this is happening. But if Arnett doesn't work out in two years you cut him loose. Of course, many seem to forget, players can haul ass when the coach is fired. So it's this year or in a couple years if it doesn't work out. Pick your poison and pray Arnett works out.

Can the players leave now under our coaching circumstances?

yjnkdawg
12-13-2022, 02:18 PM

THIS

msstate7
12-13-2022, 02:23 PM
Can the players leave now under our coaching circumstances?

If players can get a pass when their coach leaves, there's no way in hell the ncaa would stop them after the death of a coach

yjnkdawg
12-13-2022, 02:23 PM
DELETE

BrunswickDawg
12-13-2022, 02:25 PM

I disagree. We had no immediate coaching hires - so taking our time and finding a quality fit was way more important than rushing this hire. Rushing a hire is partly how we wound up with Cohen.

662dawg
12-13-2022, 02:26 PM
To be clear I would want Tyson Helton his brother but why would hiring Clay Helton piss off half the fan base? You're mistaken he went 6-6 this year and he beat Nebraska and Appalachian State.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/georgia-southern-football-is-back-under-helton-its-only-a-matter-of-time-for-the-eagles/ar-AA14EPQ5

I think I was looking at Georgia state in the standings. I still can't see it. On the flip side he lost to a 4-8 Georgia State team this year. I might could live with his brother though as long as we kept Arnette.

PikeDawg15
12-13-2022, 02:32 PM
I?m not the AD so I don?t have the make the decisions but

If you want to stay air raid and can?t get Sonny dykes or another current power 5 head coach

Kliff Kingsbury with Arnette as DC would be goood

Go back and look at his time at Texas tech. Yes his record isn?t great but you need to deep dive some more. They scored 35+ points in almost all of their games . His problem at tech was his defense was horrendous. Give him Arnette and he would be very good.

Kingsbury is air raid but like dykes and heupel and Riley he has made modern adjustments to his offense to include a mobile qb and more of a run game and tight ends.

He developed Patrick Mahomes into the player he is today. He wasn?t always like that, if he was a 5 star he would?ve been at Texas or Oklahoma not Texas tech

Kingsbury could do wonders with Chris parson

I also believe that Mike Leach would approve because kingsbury is a former QB of his at tech and former assistant coach of leach?s

I think it just makes sense.

Gutter Cobreh
12-13-2022, 02:42 PM
Arnett is Moorhead 2.0...

and it has nothing to do with football...

they simply have last names that no one that posts on this site can seem to spell correctly!!!

BrunswickDawg
12-13-2022, 02:44 PM
I?m not the AD so I don?t have the make the decisions but

If you want to stay air raid and can?t get Sonny dykes or another current power 5 head coach

Kliff Kingsbury with Arnette as DC would be goood

Go back and look at his time at Texas tech. Yes his record isn?t great but you need to deep dive some more. They scored 35+ points in almost all of their games . His problem at tech was his defense was horrendous. Give him Arnette and he would be very good.

Kingsbury is air raid but like dykes and heupel and Riley he has made modern adjustments to his offense to include a mobile qb and more of a run game and tight ends.

He developed Patrick Mahomes into the player he is today. He wasn?t always like that, if he was a 5 star he would?ve been at Texas or Oklahoma not Texas tech

Kingsbury could do wonders with Chris parson

I also believe that Mike Leach would approve because kingsbury is a former QB of his at tech and former assistant coach of leach?s

I think it just makes sense.

I'm not sold on Kingsbury. Tech never seemed to click and his NFL tenure hasn't seemed to either. Last year looks like an aberration.
I'd rather look at Chris Hatcher than KK.

DownwardDawg
12-13-2022, 02:47 PM
Arnett is Moorhead 2.0...

and it has nothing to do with football...

they simply have last names that no one that posts on this site can seem to spell correctly!!!

I don't see that at all, but I don't know squat. That's disappointing if true but he seems like a hardass, completely unlike Moorehead.

CJDAWG85
12-13-2022, 02:52 PM
I think he was making a joke about everyone misspelling their last names.

bulldawg28
12-13-2022, 02:54 PM
Dana Holgerson

BeardoMSU
12-13-2022, 02:58 PM
Dana Holgerson

According to his Wiki page...

"He built his home in Morgantown in 2014. The home is the first luxury residence in the U.S. to be built completely of cross-laminated timber."

662dawg
12-13-2022, 03:16 PM
Dana Holgerson

He may have underachieved a little this year but this is a hire I could get behind.

msstate7
12-13-2022, 03:26 PM
According to his Wiki page...

"He built his home in Morgantown in 2014. The home is the first luxury residence in the U.S. to be built completely of cross-laminated timber."

I'm sold**