PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Coach Mike Leach

StarkVegasSteve
12-12-2022, 01:38 PM
It does not look promising that we will ever hear from The Pirate again so I just wanted to start this thread to say thank you to Coach. he was as quirky as they came off the field but was equally intense on it. One of my proudest moments as a State fan was watching he and the 47 players travel to Georgia and battle. Completely outmanned but you were not telling him that. Whether he was talking about candy corn, coffee, or the vaunted drop 8 he always kept us on our toes. And to Mike, thank you for allowing us to be apart of your final chapter

BankerDog
12-12-2022, 01:55 PM
Love him or hate him, he was almost perfect for us. The game against LSU and UGA in 2020 are some of my favorites in recent memory. He brought back discipline to our program and gave us some good memories. I have been torn up over this news. I pray for comfort for his family, his players, and current/former assistants. The man truly touched so many lives. Unbelievably sad.

It is only fitting he finally got the Egg and W in his last game. And only more fitting our final game will be played in Florida, in a stadium with a dang pirate ship in it. I hope we come out in all black and run it up for Leach.

msstate7
12-12-2022, 01:59 PM
2 nice posts

Maroonthirteen
12-12-2022, 01:59 PM
Coach Mike Leach will always be known for personality and his offense. However what I did learn about Coach Mike Leach over his three years was that he is an all around good football coach. He coached discipline, toughness and managed all aspects of his teams well.

He is a solid coach. He will be missed.

BrunswickDawg
12-12-2022, 02:02 PM
The biggest thing about Coach Leach is that he was genuine. That's really rare in this world - and especially in the coaching profession.

Commercecomet24
12-12-2022, 02:06 PM
The biggest thing about Coach Leach is that he was genuine. That's really rare in this world - and especially in the coaching profession.

This, what you saw was what you got. No pretense with Coach Leach. Rare breed.

LC Dawg
12-12-2022, 02:09 PM
I selfishly am sad that Coach Leach couldn't finish what he set out to do at Mississippi State. I think he wanted to prove he could win big at an SEC school and then ride off into the Key West sunset. I was looking forward to the next few years because I expected big things.
Coach Leach was one of a kind and I'm glad he spent this time in Starkville. He's done some good things for our school. While it would be a bigger deal if his last win as a coach was a national or conference championship game I will always look back fondly on the 2022 Egg Bowl as the final win in the illustrious career of a great football coach.

DownwardDawg
12-12-2022, 02:10 PM

Absolutely. My favorite thing about him. That and his sense of humor. So awesome.

Political Hack
12-12-2022, 02:25 PM
Absolutely heart broken for his family and the team. I wish there was a way to know how many times he brightened someone's day with a funny quip or one of his famous rants... I can promise you that number is higher than all those passing yards. It's said over and over, but he truly is a national treasure and I think we're about to see the outpouring of love from the college football world reflect that.

Thank you Coach Leach and the entire Leach family for sharing his life with us. There will never be another like him. I hope all of you feel as fortunate as I do that he was our head coach.

Commercecomet24
12-12-2022, 02:29 PM
Absolutely heart broken for his family and the team. I wish there was a way to know how many times he brightened someone's day with a funny quip or one of his famous rants... I can promise you that number is higher than all those passing yards. It's said over and over, but he truly is a national treasure and I think we're about to see the outpouring of love from the college football world reflect that.

Thank you Coach Leach and the entire Leach family for sharing his life with us. There will never be another like him. I hope all of you feel as fortunate as I do that he was our head coach.

Wow, couldn't have said it any better! It's getting dusty in here!

Todd4State
12-12-2022, 02:31 PM
I selfishly am sad that Coach Leach couldn't finish what he set out to do at Mississippi State. I think he wanted to prove he could win big at an SEC school and then ride off into the Key West sunset. I was looking forward to the next few years because I expected big things.
Coach Leach was one of a kind and I'm glad he spent this time in Starkville. He's done some good things for our school. While it would be a bigger deal if his last win as a coach was a national or conference championship game I will always look back fondly on the 2022 Egg Bowl as the final win in the illustrious career of a great football coach.

I feel the same way too. It's unfair because I think Leach had finally gotten us to where he wanted us to be and I think he was going to potentially win big next year. Everything was in place or falling into place. It's also unfair because as a Mississippi State family we have had to deal with too much death. From Rodney Stowers to Keefer to Nick Bell to Keith Joseph and now this....why won't it stop?

DownwardDawg
12-12-2022, 02:38 PM
College football, heck, the world will never be the same without Leach.

Saltydog
12-12-2022, 02:40 PM
Love him or hate him, he was almost perfect for us. The game against LSU and UGA in 2020 are some of my favorites in recent memory. He brought back discipline to our program and gave us some good memories. I have been torn up over this news. I pray for comfort for his family, his players, and current/former assistants. The man truly touched so many lives. Unbelievably sad.

It is only fitting he finally got the Egg and W in his last game. And only more fitting our final game will be played in Florida, in a stadium with a dang pirate ship in it. I hope we come out in all black and run it up for Leach.

Couldn't agree more. It's extremely hard to find a cultural fit for our program. I saw him at a HS football game earlier in the year. If you didn't know who he was, you'd thought he was a local. Had on tennis shoes (no socks), baggy cargo shorts, black STATE hoodie. That's just who he was. Man, I'm sad beyond belief.

Catfish
12-12-2022, 03:00 PM

I love this post. Have some a pirate rep!!!

BrunswickDawg
12-12-2022, 03:07 PM
I feel the same way too. It's unfair because I think Leach had finally gotten us to where he wanted us to be and I think he was going to potentially win big next year. Everything was in place or falling into place. It's also unfair because as a Mississippi State family we have had to deal with too much death. From Rodney Stowers to Keefer to Nick Bell to Keith Joseph and now this....why won't it stop?

I was talking about this same thing with a friend this morning. It's unbelievable how many players we have lost either during their time at State.

Cowbell
12-12-2022, 03:08 PM
He made the entire state better when he came here. He brought a sense of humor back to our football program and brought the right culture back here. I appreciate him cleaning up the mess he inherited and looking at our program as a great opportunity. I think he really enjoyed it here. We should wave a black pirate flag forever atop DW.

State82
12-12-2022, 03:11 PM

Absolutely. Very well stated.

Gutter Cobreh
12-12-2022, 03:37 PM
He made the entire state better when he came here. He brought a sense of humor back to our football program and brought the right culture back here. I appreciate him cleaning up the mess he inherited and looking at our program as a great opportunity. I think he really enjoyed it here. We should wave a black pirate flag forever atop DW.

For whatever reason, this part of your post reminded of the time they were in Jackson - mask mandates in place - and there is Leach never once covering his nose, pulling Kiffen's away from his face and popping it back... :) Makes me smile thinking about it.

Editing to add - It wasn't just having fun w/ Kiffen that makes me smile, it was knowing Leach would have preferred to be in a hoodie and cargo shorts - over some stuffy press conference at the Capital.

SpaceBully
12-12-2022, 03:38 PM

Yep....I felt the same way. This coming year could have been our best with a good possibility of upsetting BAMA and challenging for the West Division. Now, the unknown has me wandering mentally. Can only pray for the Pirate to recover.

Justwarcat
12-12-2022, 03:39 PM
From #BBN and the Kentucky wildcats family, I send my thoughts and prayers to leach and his family. Loved the guy!

BuckyIsAB****
12-12-2022, 07:34 PM
I will post my thoughts once all this has passed and there is closure but this is a great thread.

DownwardDawg
12-12-2022, 07:45 PM
When State hired Leach, I was surprised because I just never expected that. It was a bad fit to me. Little did I know that personality wise it was actually a great fit. He coaches like he has a chip on his shoulder much like State teams have always played. While I was never a fan of the offense system he runs, I'm a fan of the man and how he treats his players with respect and commands respect back. He changed the culture at MSU back after the Moorehead debacle. He definitely has us trending in the right direction. I'll always be thankful for the time he coached my Bulldogs.
God Bless Coach Mike Leach and his family. Hail State and Swing Your Sword Coach!!!!

Commercecomet24
12-12-2022, 08:02 PM
When State hired Leach, I was surprised because I just never expected that. It was a bad fit to me. Little did I know that personality wise it was actually a great fit. He coaches like he has a chip on his shoulder much like State teams have always played. While I was never a fan of the offense system he runs, I'm a fan of the man and how he treats his players with respect and commands respect back. He changed the culture at MSU back after the Moorehead debacle. He definitely has us trending in the right direction. I'll always be thankful for the time he coached my Bulldogs.
God Bless Coach Mike Leach and his family. Hail State and Swing Your Sword Coach!!!!

Leach is so much like most of us. He's blue collar, doesn't like the blue bloods or elites, loves being the underdog, and just a regular dude! The Pirate! So genuine!

MagicDawg
12-12-2022, 09:15 PM
I regret not buying a personalized Cameo from Coach Mike Leach. Dang it.

Hail State to a great Bulldog.

Bothrops
12-12-2022, 09:48 PM
I just wanted Mike to make a recovery, say to hell with this job, go retire to Key West, write more books, and be able to brag that Mike Leach coached here. But not gonna get that I guess

Maroonthirteen
12-13-2022, 10:41 AM
My sincerest condolences go out to the Leach family. May God bring you comfort in knowing he is at the right hand of the Father, in good health.

Also I'd like to thank the Leach family for sharing their husband/Dad/grandfather with us here at MSU. It was all our pleasure to have known him.

Hot Rock
12-13-2022, 10:52 AM
May he Rest in Peace and may the family be granted the ability to find their individual and collective way to live life in a way that makes sense to them.

msudawg1200
12-13-2022, 11:11 AM
I'm going to miss listening to the post game show on my drive back home from the games. RIP Coach

Goldendawg
12-13-2022, 04:06 PM
I knew little about Coach Leach until he became our Coach and I read his book, "Swing Your Sword". Just recently learning how treasured he was in the coaching world. May God Richly Bless the Leach Family and His Loved Ones. Hail Coach Leach! Hail State! Thank You for your dedication to State.

lastmajordog
12-13-2022, 08:34 PM
Coach won the egg bowl, has wins over LSU, Tamu, Auburn, Arky, and as frustrating as his offense was at times he went out with an EB win and a bowl game. ARRRRGGGGG!!!!