PDA

View Full Version : Rb room

TheLostDawg
12-09-2022, 01:53 PM
Marks coming back is a home run

Do we have any power backs to replace DJ, on roster vs possible transfer?

Lord McBuckethead
12-09-2022, 01:57 PM
JJ Jernigan may want to reconsider. Dude is built like DJohnson and should be a senior, but maybe with the JUCO guy there is an issue.

Surely this would help us with the South Mississippi kid going to Oregon. Hey man, step in here and start, in the SEC, where your family can come watch you play. NIL aside, that has to mean something.

msstate7
12-09-2022, 02:01 PM
Seems like this offense is better suited for scat back types

yjnkdawg
12-09-2022, 02:08 PM
JJ Jernigan may want to reconsider. Dude is built like DJohnson and should be a senior, but maybe with the JUCO guy there is an issue.

Surely this would help us with the South Mississippi kid going to Oregon. Hey man, step in here and start, in the SEC, where your family can come watch you play. NIL aside, that has to mean something.

JJ not returning and Dowdell not happening.

dawgday166
12-09-2022, 02:10 PM
Seems like this offense is better suited for scat back types

I wouldn't call DJ, Woody, or Price scat back types. They gotta be good at catching ball out of backfield and blocking and that isn't a Holloway type back to me.

ETA: Holloway wasn't too hot on the blocking part. Or the running up the middle part either. And when Will does call a run when it's there, most of the times it's designed to be between the tackles.

msstate7
12-09-2022, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't call DJ, Woody, or Price scat back types. They gotta be good at catching ball out of backfield and blocking and that isn't a Holloway type back to me.

ETA: Holloway wasn't too hot on the blocking part. Or the running up the middle part either. And when Will does call a run when it's there, most of the times it's designed to be between the tackles.

I wouldn't call them that either, although marks is close. Just saying in this offense, I'd trade pop for wiggle.

confucius say
12-09-2022, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't call them that either, although marks is close. Just saying in this offense, I'd trade pop for wiggle.

I'm honestly surprised DJ stayed as long as he did considering the lack of fit. He is a power back.
Marks I agree with you, close to a scat but more physical.

dawgday166
12-09-2022, 02:22 PM

I agree Marks is close but doesn't have enough wiggle to be a true scat back IMO. Marks is like a tweener to me.

I don't think you "trade". More like recruit a scat back or 2 to go along with the featured backs. Holloway was a good 3rd down back out of the backfield type, although with us it's more like any down out of the backfield. Might be pretty good to have option to go to a real elusive scat back here and there.

BlackSailsDawg
12-09-2022, 02:25 PM
You know when the wind blows it moves around objects in it's path with ease. Now you can't see that unless you add a bit of Smoke to it!

msstate7
12-09-2022, 02:25 PM
I agree Marks is close but doesn't have enough wiggle to be a true scat back IMO. Marks is like a tweener to me.

I don't think you "trade". More like recruit a scat back or 2 to go along with the featured backs. Holloway was a good 3rd down back out of the backfield type, although with us it's more like any down out of the backfield. Might be pretty good to have option to go to a real elusive scat back here and there.

Perkins is the back I wish we had for this offense.

Really Clark?
12-09-2022, 02:34 PM

Yes! Absolute beast in this offense

confucius say
12-09-2022, 02:39 PM

Norwood too

662dawg
12-09-2022, 02:42 PM
You know when the wind blows it moves around objects in it's path with ease. Now you can't see that unless you add a bit of Smoke to it!

I smell a hint in this comment😁

bulldawg28
12-09-2022, 02:44 PM

I see what you did. It would be a nice get if we could pull it off.

dawgday166
12-09-2022, 02:46 PM
Norwood too

No doubt about this one. Love that guy.

TrapGame
12-09-2022, 02:48 PM

Supposedly there's some common interest there. I'd love to have him.

yjnkdawg
12-09-2022, 03:02 PM
Supposedly there's some common interest there. I'd love to have him.

He would be a good get but if Ajay enters the portal I would like to see him be the portal back.

Commercecomet24
12-09-2022, 04:57 PM
You know when the wind blows it moves around objects in its path with ease. Now you can't see that unless you add a bit of Smoke to it!

I've heard he's interested. Would be a great pickup if we could make it happen.

Coursesuper
12-09-2022, 06:45 PM

I watched that one since he was in the 7th grade, he can be good as any back to that has played in this state minus 1.

Cowbell
12-09-2022, 07:32 PM

Sure sure wouldn't be any dropoff with him - and he's a better fit physically

chef dixon
12-09-2022, 08:22 PM
I will say this again and again. If we do not elevate at the QB position, it does not matter who we interchange at these skill positions. They are playing with a ceiling creating by our system and QB playmaking ability.

HoopsDawg
12-09-2022, 08:24 PM
I will say this again and again. If we do not elevate at the QB position, it does not matter who we interchange at these skill positions. They are playing with a ceiling creating by our system and QB playmaking ability.

I agree with you and I like Will. It's the system and Will's limitations.

Tater
12-09-2022, 08:35 PM

Yep but we are kinda beating a dead horse at this point.

Everyone but Bucky knows this to be true. (And to be fair, Will could progress back to what his arm was in 2021 and we can be a 10 win team. There's always that chance, even though I doubt it.)

Might as well enjoy the Egg Bowl win, enjoy the ride and welcome new Dawgs / returning Dawgs with celebration and have fun. No sense in crying because we don't have the perfect team to be 15-0. Enjoy what ya got.

Or if that ain't for you, take time off college football and check out our basketball program.

BuckyIsAB****
12-09-2022, 08:55 PM

Everyone but Bucky knows this to be true. (And to be fair, Will could progress back to what his arm was in 2021 and we can be a 10 win team. There's always that chance, even though I doubt it.)

Might as well enjoy the Egg Bowl win, enjoy the ride and welcome new Dawgs / returning Dawgs with celebration and have fun. No sense in crying because we don't have the perfect team to be 15-0. Enjoy what ya got.

Or if that ain't for you, take time off college football and check out our basketball program.

Everyone who really matters disagrees with you so. Carry on tho.

MrCoachKlein
12-09-2022, 08:55 PM

100%

Tater
12-09-2022, 09:02 PM
Everyone who really matters disagrees with you so. Carry on tho.

Bucky you gotta take a long look in the mirror if a top 5 sunshine pumper is saying you're too antagonistically optimistic.

And plenty of people have power and make poor judgments. Having power != Being Right

Captain Falcon
12-09-2022, 09:24 PM
Feel pretty confident we are bringing in a transfer RB. Maybe Smoke, maybe Christian Turner from Wake Forest.

Todd4State
12-10-2022, 01:08 AM

Hear me out on this:

It's a bit of a different take I think. But last year Will threw for 1000 more yards. He also has attempted over 100 more pass attempts last year. His completion percentage was about 5% lower but his overall QB rating was pretty close to the same.

The difference is last year we had Makai Polk and we never really replaced him. What if we had him this year? I suspect our offensive numbers would have been much better. I think our receiving leader this year had something like 500 yards.

And so with that being said it makes some sense to me that if we keep Will and upgrade our WR room and add some depth at RB that we could significantly improve next year.

There are some examples of this: Joe Montana really took off once the 49ers got Jerry Rice after years of Dwight Clark as their top guy. Same thing happened with Tom Brady when they got Randy Moss. All of a sudden he was a 50 TD passer with him. I know those are NFL examples but you get my point. If we can find 2-3 guys to go with Tulu and Walley we could be quite explosive. Rara and Ducking only had 400 something yards apiece. That's replaceable.

TheLostDawg
12-10-2022, 08:29 AM
Will also had a top ten nfl LT that year.

BrunswickDawg
12-10-2022, 09:01 AM
Will also had a top ten nfl LT that year.

Having Cross was no doubt a benefit, but the line has given up 8 fewer sacks then last year. Line play really hasn't been a problem in most games.

chef dixon
12-10-2022, 09:13 AM
Hear me out on this:

It's a bit of a different take I think. But last year Will threw for 1000 more yards. He also has attempted over 100 more pass attempts last year. His completion percentage was about 5% lower but his overall QB rating was pretty close to the same.

The difference is last year we had Makai Polk and we never really replaced him. What if we had him this year? I suspect our offensive numbers would have been much better. I think our receiving leader this year had something like 500 yards.

And so with that being said it makes some sense to me that if we keep Will and upgrade our WR room and add some depth at RB that we could significantly improve next year.

There are some examples of this: Joe Montana really took off once the 49ers got Jerry Rice after years of Dwight Clark as their top guy. Same thing happened with Tom Brady when they got Randy Moss. All of a sudden he was a 50 TD passer with him. I know those are NFL examples but you get my point. If we can find 2-3 guys to go with Tulu and Walley we could be quite explosive. Rara and Ducking only had 400 something yards apiece. That's replaceable.

Well we ran the ball more this year as a reason for that. We had the same RBs. Also we were better this year against a harder schedule, so all those extra stats didn't translate. If we want to take the next step in this system we need better QB play outside of raw stats. We absolutely cannot have empty play every time we get pressured.

confucius say
12-10-2022, 11:18 AM
It's not the system. If we had a qb with all of will's attributes plus mobility and a plus arm, there'd be no issues.
Will has a lot of positives though.

Tater
12-10-2022, 11:20 AM
Hear me out on this:

I'm not looking at stats. I'm looking at gamefilm.

Just watch Rogers arm strength from last year to this year. Something happened.

HoopsDawg
12-10-2022, 12:13 PM
It's not the system. If we had a qb with all of will's attributes plus mobility and a plus arm, there'd be no issues.
Will has a lot of positives though.

Unfortunately Bryce Young plays for Bama

Bothrops
12-10-2022, 04:42 PM
We have a good looking juco RB coming to assist Marks.

confucius say
12-10-2022, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately Bryce Young plays for Bama

Don't need a heisman winner.
There are a ton of guys who can move a little and have an above average arm. Even an average arm would be fine with good accuracy.

IMissJack
12-11-2022, 08:53 AM
The RB commit we have from Katy, TX had 257 yds. on 30 att yesterday in the TX 6A semi finals.